PDA

View Full Version : Bleach DISASTER - Please help!!!!!!

Blondieee
October 18th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I need some help please. I got a full blonde balayage with a small volume of bleach and while the color looks alright (not quite what I was wanting but not terrible), I have totally lost my curls. I am about to take a shower in case maybe the stylist used too many products and it weighed it down and that's why it's not curling. I requested Olaplex to be mixed in with the color. Instead, the stylist used Wellaplex and gave me some to use once a week. There's warnings on it saying to wear gloves, keep out of eyes, and not use on people 16 years or younger which I'm not but why would a product say that? It freaks me out!!!! There's no warnings like that on Olaplex 3 which people use at home. I'm scared the bleach and the Wellaplex and whatever else the stylist mixed in got rid of my curls. Please help! I'm having a meltdown!!

blesseddamozel
October 18th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Have you showered yet? I would def do that first before going into panic mode...hoping for the best for you :meditate:

Blondieee
October 18th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Have you showered yet? I would def do that first before going into panic mode...hoping for the best for you :meditate:

Not yet. I'm getting ready to. I'll try not to panic. Thank you!

Jo Ann
October 18th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Calm down, take a shower and relax.

It might take a few washings to get your curls and waves back, but the bleaching might have altered your hair structure a bit. When I bleached mine for the third time, it took a couple of weeks or so for the structure to return to normal. Stick to your usual washing routine and see what happens. Give your hair a DT and use more moisturizing products if your hair needs them.

If your colorist/stylist used a blow dryer or other heat method (like curlers and a hair dryer) to style your hair after it was bleached, the effect might be temporary. See paragraph two.

Take the (preferably unopened) Olaplex knock-off back to the salon next time you're in the area and get your money back.

Arciela
October 19th, 2018, 12:10 AM
When I had my hair bleached professionally it 100% killed my curls and my hair eventually got so bad I had to recently chop off most of it. They used olaplex and wellaplex on mine professionally here in Manhattan which helped and did all the deep treatments, etc. Bleach is a death sentence for hair..that's why before I suggested not to do it in one of your other threads, its just not worth it imo. :( It took pretty much a year for my damage to show up though, but I have really thick, strong hair, it can take a beating.

I tried so many expensive and cheap conditioners, co washing, everything..my hair was never the same. It wasn't totally destroyed but it was a tangled, tattered, horrible mess. My only suggestion is to cut off where the worst of the damage is, and just baby the hair..then trim a little bit each month. After I cut off majority of my damage (from TBL to APL) my hair is slowly recovering a year and a half later.

You can try a lot of deep treatments, protein, etc..the best one I used was called davines io conditioner and they have a great deep treatment, also I washed it once a week..that helped a ton too. But from my experience none of them helped..just prolonged the inevitable...which was cutting it.

Blondieee
October 19th, 2018, 05:01 AM
Thanks everyone! I got my hair wet. I didn't shampoo so there might be product still left in it. But it's curled back up in some parts. Some of it is frizzing but I didn't put the curl defining cream that I normally put in my hair that helps with frizz. Those parts are also the same parts that were frizzy before I got my hair bleached. So the bleach hasn't damaged my hair, yet anyway.

I know it's very damaging but I want blonde. I've decided that I'm not going to heat style my hair except on the rare special occasion like my wedding for example. But other than that, I let it air dry and wear it natural. I recently embraced my natural curls. I love my curls now! And I'll probably try some cute braids to wear some days to change up the style.

The color isn't quite what I'm wanting though. It's not bad, I think it can be fixed. I'm wanting it to be a little more golden colored and I want a tad bit more brown in my hair. The stylist took too much brown out on one side of my hair. I'm assuming this can easily be corrected?

Arciela, thank you for sharing your experience. In your two pictures, your hair looks pretty dark. It looks like its black or almost black. Could that be why the damage occurred? My hair is naturally dirty blonde so the amount of bleach they have to use on me is very minimal. But when going from black to blonde, it's a much stronger amount.

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone! I got my hair wet. I didn't shampoo so there might be product still left in it. But it's curled back up in some parts. Some of it is frizzing but I didn't put the curl defining cream that I normally put in my hair that helps with frizz. Those parts are also the same parts that were frizzy before I got my hair bleached. So the bleach hasn't damaged my hair, yet anyway.

I know it's very damaging but I want blonde. I've decided that I'm not going to heat style my hair except on the rare special occasion like my wedding for example. But other than that, I let it air dry and wear it natural. I recently embraced my natural curls. I love my curls now! And I'll probably try some cute braids to wear some days to change up the style.

The color isn't quite what I'm wanting though. It's not bad, I think it can be fixed. I'm wanting it to be a little more golden colored and I want a tad bit more brown in my hair. The stylist took too much brown out on one side of my hair. I'm assuming this can easily be corrected?

Arciela, thank you for sharing your experience. In your two pictures, your hair looks pretty dark. It looks like its black or almost black. Could that be why the damage occurred? My hair is naturally dirty blonde so the amount of bleach they have to use on me is very minimal. But when going from black to blonde, it's a much stronger amount.

I would not keep messing with the color because it's not "quite" what you wanted - that can get you into trouble real quick! Don't ask. But I've had my share of dyes that weren't quite right and ended up with chin length when I was around BSL. The other was a real disaster and I melted my hair off.

So don't keep messing with it. Just wait for your next touch up and then tell them; or use a toner on it, maybe?

I'm glad your curls are back. :flower:

It's great not to panic. :)

Milady_DeWinter
October 19th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I would not keep messing with the color because it's not "quite" what you wanted - that can get you into trouble real quick! Don't ask. But I've had my share of dyes that weren't quite right and ended up with chin length when I was around BSL. The other was a real disaster and I melted my hair off.

So don't keep messing with it. Just wait for your next touch up and then tell them; or use a toner on it, maybe?

I'm glad your curls are back. :flower:

It's great not to panic. :)

Lapushka speaks with wisdom, listen to her. I'm also growing out damaged hair from dyes/bleach that ruined my wurls, and it was just 1 tone lighter than my hair :(

kitcatsmeow
October 19th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah I have done this many times myself and I went to cosmetology school so I know how damaging it can be. I just watched my best friend sdo this and ruined her hair. She had waist length hair maybe longer and it’s now apl after cutting all the damage. She started just getting bayalage and then same thing, wanted a little less brass, wasn’t quite right and within a couple weeks she cut it and colored it back to brunette.

Jo Ann
October 19th, 2018, 06:46 PM
...The color isn't quite what I'm wanting though. It's not bad, I think it can be fixed. I'm wanting it to be a little more golden colored and I want a tad bit more brown in my hair. The stylist took too much brown out on one side of my hair. I'm assuming this can easily be corrected?

Be careful there, Blondieee--going for the "perfect" color has been the death of many a healthy head of hair.

Why not leave well enough alone for a while and have the color "corrected" some months down the road, AFTER you've had a chance to get your hair in a healthier condition and evaluated the damage done to your hair? Who knows--maybe this new color will grow on you and you might like it better :flower:

Blondieee
October 19th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone! It might grow on me. I just wish the stylist had left more brown in my hair in the front. It looks a lot better in the back. I'm pale so with not enough brown in the front for contrast, it washes me out. I'll show you pictures of how it looks. I guess I was just wanting a brighter blonde, if that makes sense. I don't want it to glow or look fake. I just wanted more warmth, more golden to it. My natural hair color before I got this done is what I call "watered down tea." Products I use have discolored it and before the stylist bleached it, I already had a slight line of demarcation where I had brown at the top and "watered down tea" (an off shade of blonde/reddish) at the bottom. Red hair does not run in my family at all, anywhere. My hair would grow in brown and once it got to midshaft it would turn an off blonde/reddish color. It's been discolored. It's either the products I use or something in the water. That's why I had a line of demarcation before I even dyed it. Stylists always thought my hair was colored when it wasn't.

And I feel like this new color, is just more of the watered down tea. You guys will probably think it's pretty, but it seems to show more red in my hair which I don't like at all. I wanted more warmth, more golden. Like Lauren Atkins' hair. If you look up her hair on Google or on her Instagram, her hair is what I'm wanting. Sure it doesn't look good in every picture. But in most pictures, it has some warmth and golden but still looks very natural. If you put the pictures of my hair side by side with hers, hers looks way more brighter and nicer. And yes I know she has money but I have acquaintances who have the golden blonde natural looking hair. I'm just wanting golden blonde mixed in with my natural brown.

I'm not going to have it bleached again, I wouldn't consider bleaching bleached hair. I was considering a toner or maybe it needs a purple shampoo. I don't know, it's already been bleached so it shouldn't need to be rebleached to get me a golden blonde. It should just be like a toner which always moisturizes my hair and never dries it out.

My hair does feel soft mostly. It doesn't feel like it's been bleached. Maybe the damage doesn't come right away though, I don't know. I won't be using heat, I'll be always letting my hair air dry so that's a plus. I LOVE the length my hair is at. I'm not sure what the name is for this length on here, but I'm not wanting any longer nor any shorter. Can I have bleached hair at this length if I take care of it and use deep treatments and Olaplex and only use heat on it on the rare special occasion?

The stylist used Wellaplex and tons of products in my hair. Am I ok to use my normal deep treatment? I'm thinking I might use it when I shampoo next because I do have more frizz than normal. It's in those same areas where it was before though so I don't think it's necessarily damaged. I think it might be because blonde hair shows frizz easier than brown. Can the deep treatment I use be used on bleached hair? It's Morrocan Oil Intense Hydrating Cream.

Okay let me see if I can figure out how to get some pictures on here.

Blondieee
October 19th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Ok pictures are in my "Bleached Hair" album. There are pictures of my hair from the front and the back and also of Lauren Atkins' hair to show what I'm wanting.

Longlegs
October 19th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Bleach loosened my curls as well. I think it's not technically the bleach but the fact that bleach dries out your hair, and for me dry hair is straighter. Using conditioning treatments and leave-in conditioners helped me revive it.

blesseddamozel
October 21st, 2018, 11:20 AM
I saw your album and personally I think the color looks nice however I understand it isn't what you wanted. I would def try toning treatments and shampoo/conditioner meant for blondes. I've heard good things about LUSH's "Marylin" products. I'm sure you'll be fine using heat on special occasions, just try and use heat styling tools on low settings. As for the deep treatment I'd try it on a little bit of your hair just to make sure it's safe and then see if you want to use it on your whole head.

SnailFarts
October 21st, 2018, 04:28 PM
If you like to maintain blonde, you might want to try lightening with lemon or honey in the future. I think it might be more gentle on your hair. Especially since you only want to lighten a shade or two

lapushka
October 21st, 2018, 05:09 PM
If you like to maintain blonde, you might want to try lightening with lemon or honey in the future. I think it might be more gentle on your hair. Especially since you only want to lighten a shade or two

Honey also contains peroxide, might as well bleach. And there has been damage reported from honey treatments (Phal in the past). Lemon isn't without hiccups either, you actually would need to sit in the sun to have it really do something like lighten even half a shade.

SnailFarts
October 21st, 2018, 07:39 PM
Honey also contains peroxide, might as well bleach. And there has been damage reported from honey treatments (Phal in the past). Lemon isn't without hiccups either, you actually would need to sit in the sun to have it really do something like lighten even half a shade.

Thanks for the better information :)

lapushka
October 22nd, 2018, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the better information :)

I wouldn't call the info better, it's just you haven't been here for that long and you kind of missed certain things. There's a whole honey damage thread out there (started by Phal, as I recall):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91938

And lemon... well, maybe in the summer... (guilty of it, but it turns brassy on my color).

Alibran
October 22nd, 2018, 06:14 AM
I looked at your photos, and your hair still looks dry to me. I'd definitely give yourself time to get it back into better condition before making any more changes to the colour. My hair colour tends to look warmer and richer when my hair is well moisturised, so yours may do the same.

spitfire511
October 22nd, 2018, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't call the info better, it's just you haven't been here for that long and you kind of missed certain things. There's a whole honey damage thread out there (started by Phal, as I recall):

And lemon... well, maybe in the summer... (guilty of it, but it turns brassy on my color).

As always lapushka has so much good info.

OP - I agree with others - I looked at the photos and think your color looks natural and quite nice - though again, understanding it wasn't what you were looking for.

All of that being said - give it love - continue to moisturize and give it a little time to see if you either grow to like the color more?

:flowers: Hugs to you - I think we all know how frustrating something like this can be and waiting it out is the hardest part!

spidermom
October 22nd, 2018, 07:58 AM
It can take several sessions with the stylist to get the shade of blonde you're looking for. My daughter said that it took her 4 sessions of "baby lights" (each session months apart from the last one) to get the shade of light blonde that she has now, and she started from dark blonde.

SnailFarts
October 22nd, 2018, 04:42 PM

Thank you for the link! I'll definitely read through it to educate myself

lapushka
October 22nd, 2018, 04:56 PM
Thank you for the link! I'll definitely read through it to educate myself

You're very welcome! :)