PDA

View Full Version : Hair masks

Dee94
October 18th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Could anyone recommend/suggest a good hair mask? I don't like putting pure oils in my hair anymore. They dont really seem to do anything... I don't mind if there is a oil in the mask, I'm just done using straight oils as a deep treatment. So, I'm looking for a good hair mask that I could do once a week. Anything, not looking for something certain, just a good hair mask. Thanks. :flower:

Ylva
October 18th, 2018, 08:49 PM
This is my holy grail: http://oherbal.eu/product/%D0%BC%D0%B0sk-for-dry-and-damaged-hair-with-flax-extract-500ml/

I always recommend it. Personally I use it on every wash, twice a week. For me it just has everything. It's hydrating, but the proteins in it also make my hair feel "held together". If you know that your hair doesn't like protein, though, it might not be for you. The only negative thing about it that I can think of is that it smells like expired perfume.

Dee94
October 18th, 2018, 08:55 PM
This is my holy grail: http://oherbal.eu/product/%D0%BC%D0%B0sk-for-dry-and-damaged-hair-with-flax-extract-500ml/

I always recommend it. Personally I use it on every wash, twice a week. For me it just has everything. It's hydrating, but the proteins in it also make my hair feel "held together". If you know that your hair doesn't like protein, though, it might not be for you. The only negative thing about it that I can think of is that it smells like expired perfume.

Haha, smells like expired perfume. Great, thank you! I'm not good at picking out hair masks or anything in that matter. And I'm sick of using oils or having to make my own. I'll definitely look at this stuff, I see that it said natural ingredients too, so that's a bonus! :bluesmile

littlestarface
October 18th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Oh theres so many to choose from its good to just explore some cuz what works for me might not for you but my favorites are...

hask deep conditioning packets in coconut monoi, argan, keratin
redken extreme strength builder
coconut milk with honey
devacurl melt into moisture

Julescarm
October 18th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Speaking of hair masks, how do you apply yours? I've been putting it on ends and scalp.

Jo Ann
October 18th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Shea Moisture's Strengthen and Restore hair mask is a great one! I also second Littlestarface's Hask recommendations (I haven't tried the others she's recommended to you, though).

Jo Ann
October 18th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Speaking of hair masks, how do you apply yours? I've been putting it on ends and scalp.

Scalp to ends. One envelope covers my hair (TBL).

littlestarface
October 18th, 2018, 10:46 PM

I do after cleansing and then squeeze out the water and apply it all over my hair and pile it on top and do either really hot steam or heat cap on.

VersLaLumière
October 18th, 2018, 10:48 PM
Right now I’m into Living Proof Restore Hair Mask. It’s pricey but I don’t need to use it super often. When I do I’m very happy with the results.

Dee94
October 18th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much everyone! :flower:

littlestarface
October 18th, 2018, 11:23 PM
If I had abit more money I would so get this beautiful mask https://www.kerastase-usa.com/collections/chronologiste/creme-chronologiste-hair-mask.html#start=13&cgid=hair-masks I love stuff that smells good.

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 05:34 AM
I particularly like the Garnier Whole Blends masks (called "Ultra Doux" here). They are affordable (4/5 euro, don't know in $) and are really nice and make the hair soft.

Doreen
October 19th, 2018, 09:54 AM
I also like the Hask packets. The argan one is my favorite.

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Oooh yes, Hask, their oil tubes are nice too. We had those in Belgium for a while, now: nothing from Hask anymore, at least not where I live, Brussels might be different.

Dark40
October 19th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Like littlestarface said I would recommend:

Hask Deep Conditioning Masks Packets with Macademia Oil in it
Pantene Pro-V Intensive Repair Mask

Milkchocolate
October 19th, 2018, 12:20 PM
I tried the Briogeo repairing hair mask the other day. It’s a little on the pricey side so I expected miracles. It left my hair feeling rather dry. But what I don’t understand is why people were complimenting me and telling me my hair looked luscious (?!) Haha. I was very confused because honesty I didn’t like it that much. But I’ve heard it works well for other people!
If you don’t add heat to your hair like I do..you might enjoy it :)

Dee94
October 23rd, 2018, 02:44 PM
Thanks, everyone. I had bought and used a hask mask the other day and my hair felt amazing, still does today and I used it on Sunday. I will continue to use and rotate between a few of the hask masks I bought. :flower::flower:

ArabellaRose
October 23rd, 2018, 03:10 PM
If you're willing to put a bit more effort in then I would whole heartedly use the SMT method (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). I personally used a conditioning hair mask as the conditioner part of the recipe and substituted the honey with maple syrup and my hair is the best it's ever been after one treatment.

Ylva
October 23rd, 2018, 03:17 PM

After cleansing, I apply it throughout my hair. Sometimes I utilise the time to give myself a head massage and put the mask there too, as I know my scalp doesn't mind that.

Dee94
October 23rd, 2018, 04:08 PM
If you're willing to put a bit more effort in then I would whole heartedly use the SMT method (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). I personally used a conditioning hair mask as the conditioner part of the recipe and substituted the honey with maple syrup and my hair is the best it's ever been after one treatment.

SMT, was good. I liked it and so did my hair. I must admit though, I didn't wanna make it every time (laziness, I know) I like having something that is already premade or whatever.

Natalia_A00
October 23rd, 2018, 04:44 PM
I use Tresemmé Intense Hydration Mask
I think a lot of people don't like this particular brand but I find this mask very hydrating, I like how my hair feels with it
The other mask I use is L'Oreal Mythic Oil mask (a little bit more expensive tho) it leaves my hair beautiful
I usually alternate between these two and another reconstruction hair mask from Schwarzkopf Gliss (long and sublime).

lithostoic
October 23rd, 2018, 06:02 PM
The Shea Moisture superfruit 10-in-1 masque. Absolute favorite and it smells yummy. Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

littlestarface
October 24th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I use Tresemmé Intense Hydration Mask
I think a lot of people don't like this particular brand but I find this mask very hydrating, I like how my hair feels with it
The other mask I use is L'Oreal Mythic Oil mask (a littke bit more expensive tho) it leaves my hair beautiful
I usually alternate between these two and another reconstruction hair mask from Schwarzkopf Gliss (long and sublime).

I smelled that one and I loved it, I need to try it some time.

Another thing I do is if my hair is particularly dry I just add some honey to the hask packet.

nycelle
October 24th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I smelled that one and I loved it, I need to try it some time.

Another thing I do is if my hair is particularly dry I just add some honey to the hask packet.

So scents linger in your hair after washes? My hair can't hold onto anything. It drives me crazy. I have to use perfume if I want it to smell nice.

Ok, so my favorite ever deep conditioning mask is.. Briogeo (no surprise to some of you). It's their Don't Despair, Repair! deep conditioning treatment and I've never used anything better. Amazing deep conditioner.

littlestarface
October 24th, 2018, 01:03 PM
So scents linger in your hair after washes? My hair can't hold onto anything. It drives me crazy. I have to use perfume if I want it to smell nice.

Ok, so my favorite ever deep conditioning mask is.. Briogeo (no surprise to some of you). It's their Don't Despair, Repair! deep conditioning treatment and I've never used anything better. Amazing deep conditioner.

Yea even the honey scent from the honey hangs on my hair for days, its the only thing I like about my hair. When I put oil in tho, it hangs onto the oil smell too, yuck.

I have not seen the briogeo at my ulta or target so sadly I cant smell them :(

nycelle
October 24th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Yea even the honey scent from the honey hangs on my hair for days, its the only thing I like about my hair. When I put oil in tho, it hangs onto the oil smell too, yuck.

I have not seen the briogeo at my ulta or target so sadly I cant smell them :(

Lucky!!! But I guess I should be glad that at least my hair doesn't smell bad.. it just doesn't smell at all..lol

They don't carry Briogeo at Ulta or Target. It's Sephora, their own store, or their on-line site.

I've heard people say that their Rosarco line (ROSehip, ARgan oil and COconut oil) smells like Roses (I know you life rose scents), but I dunno.. I don't get that. You might though.

littlestarface
October 24th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Lucky!!! But I guess I should be glad that at least my hair doesn't smell bad.. it just doesn't smell at all..lol

They don't carry Briogeo at Ulta or Target. It's Sephora, their own store, or their on-line site.

I've heard people say that their Rosarco line (ROSehip, ARgan oil and COconut oil) smells like Roses (I know you life rose scents), but I dunno.. I don't get that. You might though.

LMAO just imagine how coconut oil smells after a week, my boyfriend doesn't even get near the hair hahahaha!

I haven't seen that one either is it at ulta? Oh I wish we had an sephora here, i'd be in heaven!

Dee94
October 24th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Oooh yes, Hask, their oil tubes are nice too. We had those in Belgium for a while, now: nothing from Hask anymore, at least not where I live, Brussels might be different.

I was thinking of getting the tubes. I saw those while I was grabbing the masks, but, I was wondering if its even worth putting the oil in after? Just because I double condition and my second conditioner has silicone in it (HE hello hydration) so would the oil even do anything? Learned that silicones blocks anything from getting in or out.

nycelle
October 24th, 2018, 04:23 PM
LMAO just imagine how coconut oil smells after a week, my boyfriend doesn't even get near the hair hahahaha!

I haven't seen that one either is it at ulta? Oh I wish we had an sephora here, i'd be in heaven!

I can imagine.. :lol::lol:

Rosarco is a line from Briogeo. Maybe it's a good thing you can't get to a Sephora!! :laugh:

lapushka
October 24th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I was thinking of getting the tubes. I saw those while I was grabbing the masks, but, I was wondering if its even worth putting the oil in after? Just because I double condition and my second conditioner has silicone in it (HE hello hydration) so would the oil even do anything? Learned that silicones blocks anything from getting in or out.

You could give it a go. Maybe use a tiny bit and mix it in with a little bit of your mask.

LillyBlossom
October 24th, 2018, 05:50 PM
I particularly like the Garnier Whole Blends masks (called "Ultra Doux" here). They are affordable (4/5 euro, don't know in $) and are really nice and make the hair soft.

I tried their banana hair food mask one the other day, loved it and really affordable, a big tub too :)

https://www.garnier.com.au/hair-care/beauty/fructis/fructis-hairfood/banana-hair-food

Dark40
October 24th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I tried their banana hair food mask one the other day, loved it and really affordable, a big tub too :)

https://www.garnier.com.au/hair-care/beauty/fructis/fructis-hairfood/banana-hair-food

Hi! Yum, I love anything that smells like banana! :D I will most definitely go out and get some of that, and try it! I also bet that Garnier Whole Blends Masks do make your hair feel soft. I've been wanting to try them for the longest. You know what else smells just like banana??? Joico K-PAK Reconstruct Products.

LillyBlossom
October 25th, 2018, 02:24 AM
Hi! Yum, I love anything that smells like banana! :D I will most definitely go out and get some of that, and try it! I also bet that Garnier Whole Blends Masks do make your hair feel soft. I've been wanting to try them for the longest. You know what else smells just like banana??? Joico K-PAK Reconstruct Products.

I didn't know that, thanks. My hubby really liked the smell of my hair after, he likes it when I smell like food lol

lapushka
October 25th, 2018, 05:43 AM

That's Garnier Fructis. A totally different line from them. I'm actually talking about Garnier Whole Blends. :) LOL!

But I have heard good things about that banana mask. About 3 months ago I had almost bought it! They had it in our local Colruyt (your Costco).

Rosetta
October 25th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Ah, why don't we have that mask over here?! It seems to be an Aus speciality..? I love everything that smells of bananas too, I used to love the Body Shop Banana conditioner when younger :D (Then it got discontinued and now I think they've changed the formula a lot, haven't tried the new one.) I really wish there were more hair products that smelt like bananas (or had bananas in them)!!

On another note, I just got the Garnier Respons (same as Whole Blends, etc.etc) Honey mask more than half price, yesterday :D

lapushka
October 25th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Ah, why don't we have that mask over here?! It seems to be an Aus speciality..? I love everything that smells of bananas too, I used to love the Body Shop Banana conditioner when younger :D (Then it got discontinued and now I think they've changed the formula a lot, haven't tried the new one.) I really wish there were more hair products that smelt like bananas (or had bananas in them)!!

On another note, I just got the Garnier Respons (same as Whole Blends, etc.etc) Honey mask more than half price, yesterday :D

I've seen the Fructis mask in Belgium, Rosetta. The banana, and all the rest of the varieties. Where exactly are you in the EU?

Oooh good deal! :cheer:

Milkchocolate
October 25th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Has anyone ever tried the L’Oreal damage erasing balm?

priinnz
October 25th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I love HASK hair mask sachets too. I only put it on my hair lengths. The pink keratin one reduced my frizz a lot, while I felt the blue monoi one enhanced my waves.

Scalp to ends. One envelope covers my hair (TBL).

Jo Ann, do you shampoo after the Mask? doesn't your scalp become oily when you put the mask in it? I thought it was supposed to be used like conditioner.

Dark40
October 25th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I didn't know that, thanks. My hubby really liked the smell of my hair after, he likes it when I smell like food lol

Yes, you're welcome. I bet your hubby does like the way your hair smells after, and him also liking it when it smell like food lol
But yeah, if you ever shop at Ulta Beauty Store they sell the Joico K-PAK products the one that's in the beige bottles, and try to open the shampoo or conditioner, and you will get the banana smell. It's a bit pricey but I really think it's worth it. A regular shampoo bottle cost $9.00 and so does the conditoner or reconstructor. The huge size bottles I think cost like $15.00 or $20.00. But, I'm sure if you shop at www.ebay.com you get a lot cheaper.

LillyBlossom
October 25th, 2018, 09:40 PM
That's Garnier Fructis. A totally different line from them. I'm actually talking about Garnier Whole Blends. :) LOL!

But I have heard good things about that banana mask. About 3 months ago I had almost bought it! They had it in our local Colruyt (your Costco).
LOL :D. Whoops! I'm still learning! I only stopped buying expensive salon brands a few months ago, I'm still discovering the supermarket brands, the banana mask was really nice

Rosetta
October 26th, 2018, 02:37 AM
I've seen the Fructis mask in Belgium, Rosetta. The banana, and all the rest of the varieties. Where exactly are you in the EU?
Finland ;) Alas, we don't have anything resembling that banana mask over here, and I haven't seen it in other EU countries either, when travelling (so that's why assumed it might be an Australian speciality). But if it's out in other EU countries, I do hope it will released here, too!

Joules
October 26th, 2018, 03:54 AM

I love the banana mask! My hair loved this one more than other hair food masks. It also works really well if I mix a protein treatment into it. I usually leave it on my hair for at least 30 minutes though, it doesn't work as nicely if I use it as recommended by the manufacturer.

lapushka
October 26th, 2018, 05:37 AM
LOL :D. Whoops! I'm still learning! I only stopped buying expensive salon brands a few months ago, I'm still discovering the supermarket brands, the banana mask was really nice

Yes, I'm still kicking myself for not getting it. And you can use it as a leave-in, deep conditioner or regular conditioner, I think. It has multiple uses.

Oh, it's totally understandable that this whole drugstore world is new to you. I'm glad you started off on the right foot, though and that you have discovered something you like straight off the bat! That is something, because often you have to kind of find your way in the drugstore.

lapushka
October 26th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Finland ;) Alas, we don't have anything resembling that banana mask over here, and I haven't seen it in other EU countries either, when travelling (so that's why assumed it might be an Australian speciality). But if it's out in other EU countries, I do hope it will released here, too!

If you ever get to Belgium, we have it (in Colruyt, big warehouse store). I don't know about other countries, but it would be nice if others could chime in to help Rosetta out!

Astrid Carlisle
October 26th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Has anyone ever tried the L’Oreal damage erasing balm?

I have! It's very slippery. First time I didn't like it- it felt like my hair was sticking together in the shower. But after, when dried, and up until now (over 2 months), I really like it, makes hair softer. Chemical smell though, my boyfriend said "Smells like bleach!", but it works visually in looking like better and healthier, slippier hair. Don't think it literally erases anything though, but when my tub is out, I'll buy another one of it!

xoAshley
October 26th, 2018, 08:17 AM
I just tried Maui Moisture Strength & Anti-Breakage Agave Hair Mask... it says it's for "chemically damaged hair", which my hair is not and never has been, but I liked what it promised to do as far as strengthening hair and what not... plus it smells amazing. Well, my hair feels amazing! SUPER soft and manageable. All I did was leave it on in the shower for 5ish minutes after shampooing and conditioning with my normal products (CWC method). It was super reasonably priced too, $7.99 US.

lapushka
October 26th, 2018, 09:08 AM
I just tried Maui Moisture Strength & Anti-Breakage Agave Hair Mask... it says it's for "chemically damaged hair", which my hair is not and never has been, but I liked what it promised to do as far as strengthening hair and what not... plus it smells amazing. Well, my hair feels amazing! SUPER soft and manageable. All I did was leave it on in the shower for 5ish minutes after shampooing and conditioning with my normal products (CWC method). It was super reasonably priced too, $7.99 US.

It's good to buy for "dry, damaged hair", as those are usually (I say usually) the most moisturizing treatments on the market. I can't do a thing with regular conditioners - my lengths are dry and get tangly. So I tend to buy the heavier stuff!

But you gotta know that tidbit.

xoAshley
October 26th, 2018, 10:17 AM
It's good to buy for "dry, damaged hair", as those are usually (I say usually) the most moisturizing treatments on the market. I can't do a thing with regular conditioners - my lengths are dry and get tangly. So I tend to buy the heavier stuff!

But you gotta know that tidbit.

That makes sense, Lapushka! :flower:That's what I was thinking, I figured it couldn't hurt anything, and I was glad I tried it, because like you said, it was SUPER moisturizing, my hair feels great, which it had been feeling like it needed some extra moisture with winter on it's way.

Milkchocolate
October 26th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I have! It's very slippery. First time I didn't like it- it felt like my hair was sticking together in the shower. But after, when dried, and up until now (over 2 months), I really like it, makes hair softer. Chemical smell though, my boyfriend said "Smells like bleach!", but it works visually in looking like better and healthier, slippier hair. Don't think it literally erases anything though, but when my tub is out, I'll buy another one of it!

Ok thanks for this :) I think that’s exactly what my hair needs. Something more of a buttery texture? All of my conditioners seem to leave my hair tangled and a little crunchy feeling so I think something emollient like is exactly what I need

nycelle
October 26th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I'd be careful if it says for "damaged" as those are generally protein heavy. My hair is not really damaged but it is dry so I stick with conditioners that say "moisturizing" or "hydrating." I learned that the hard way.

Milkchocolate
October 26th, 2018, 11:24 AM
I'd be careful if it says for "damaged" as those are generally protein heavy. My hair is not really damaged but it is dry so I stick with conditioners that say "moisturizing" or "hydrating." I learned that the hard way.

Thanks for the heads up however I struggle so much with finding a good balance haha. Protein heavy makes my hair dry and crunchy, but overly moisturized makes my hair greasy,stringy, loss of fullness. So do you think a combo of protein mixed with moisturizing properties is the way to go?

nycelle
October 26th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the heads up however I struggle so much with finding a good balance haha. Protein heavy makes my hair dry and crunchy, but overly moisturized makes my hair greasy,stringy, loss of fullness. So do you think a combo of protein mixed with moisturizing properties is the way to go?

I think you just gotta know when your hair needs what. For me, I rarely get that over moisturized feeling. So I use a shampoo that contains protein not even once a month these days, and it's enough for me.
I've tested it, more than that and it doesn't feel good. It gets tacky, and my ends get frizzy and and break.

EssleyBlue
October 26th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I don't love putting straight oils in my hair. My favorite mask lately is just 2 parts conditioner plus 1 part Burn Out brand aloe vera gel.

xoAshley
October 26th, 2018, 01:02 PM

Ohhh, crap. :doh:Hmmm, how do I spot if it has protein in the ingredients? Is it really obvious, or does is it usually listed under a weird name I should look out for?

Thank you :)

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Ohhh, crap. :doh:Hmmm, how do I spot if it has protein in the ingredients? Is it really obvious, or does is it usually listed under a weird name I should look out for?

Thank you :)

They're usually hydrolysed something - quinoa, wheat, rice, silk, keratin, that kind of thing :)

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Internet glitch? Double post, somehow, sorry.

xoAshley
October 26th, 2018, 01:32 PM
They're usually hydrolysed something - quinoa, wheat, rice, silk, keratin, that kind of thing :)

Thank you very much! :)

lapushka
October 26th, 2018, 03:56 PM
That makes sense, Lapushka! :flower:That's what I was thinking, I figured it couldn't hurt anything, and I was glad I tried it, because like you said, it was SUPER moisturizing, my hair feels great, which it had been feeling like it needed some extra moisture with winter on it's way.

Do watch out for what nycelle mentioned here below, it *can* matter!

Some are, a lot of them (that I have) aren't, though. Unless it says "keratin" on the mask or bottle. Then I'm usually more careful.

Rosetta
October 27th, 2018, 02:28 AM
If you ever get to Belgium, we have it (in Colruyt, big warehouse store). I don't know about other countries, but it would be nice if others could chime in to help Rosetta out!
Thank you! :) No travel plans as of now (unfortunately, lack of funds), but hopefully in not-too-distant future. Until that, maybe I'm better off trying to make my own hair mask of real bananas ;)