PDA

View Full Version : Night night hair... :)

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Ok, I have waist length hair, I generally dislike wearing hair up, but I nevertheless do so for protection. I'd like to know what people here find the most comfiest/protective way to wear waist length hair when sleeping?

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I've got a pure silk pillowcase and its made an amazing difference because it doesn't knot the hair like ordinary fibres, even natural cotton :)

podo
November 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm with you Thrasher07! I can't find a good way to wear my hair while I sleep. For "out of the way" and general protection I like putting it in a loose bun or twisted loop on the very top of my head, but the only way I've found to get it to stay is to clip it. The clips tend to snag on the way out, and lately my head has been tender because of it - and it may be causing my headaches.

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
For "out of the way" and general protection I like putting it in a loose bun or twisted loop on the very top of my head, but the only way I've found to get it to stay is to clip it.

Honestly please try the silk pillowcase. I wear my hair in a loose pony and the silk allows your head to slip easily around and it prevents the problems you describe

I was astounded at the difference it made :)

HairColoredHair
November 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
I either do a 'sleep tail' (many pony holders down the length), a simple unbound braid, or leave it loose over my pillowcase (which is satin).

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hmm, a 'sleep tail' that sound good to me :D, I think I'm gonna have to invest in a better pillowcase, definately. The only thing I've tried so far was like, a braid on the very top of my head, which was comfy, but my hair looked very bad the next day and it didn't all stay in the braid anyway

ssjhotau2
November 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Satin pillow case and very loose braid

I'm a restless sleeper (or violent) and when I had waistlength hair I would wake up several times throughout the night being strangled by it. By the time morning came it was a mass of tangles. I started braiding it in a simple three strand braid (only kind I can do). I started it low and kept it loose so the it felt like I was sleeping with my hair down, but it stayed out of my way and ceased trying to choke me in my sleep :)

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Thrasher I bought my pillowcase from ebay for a tenner so it doesnt have to break the bank :)

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thrasher I bought my pillowcase from ebay for a tenner so it doesnt have to break the bank :)

Hehe, excellent, seeing as I've just recently become a student (tight budget eek!)

Also, when I sleep with my hair loose, I don't seem to get too much of a problem as in waking up with tangly hair, it's just that I think it's time I ought to start protecting it properly while I sleep :)

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
PS, I dont know if satin in the US is generally made of silk (it was originally) but these days its often made of nylon or similar and that can create static.

The silk does need to be shiny though (I think its called charmeuse silk) , so raw silk isnt any good.

Or if you have an old silk underslip or something, that would work too :)

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the help :)

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
you're welcome :)

Haith
November 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
I don't have any fancy pillowcases, although I think I would like it. Sometimes I wear my hair free, and sometimes I wear it in a loose English braid, depending on how I'm feeling.

embee
November 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I make a top-of-the-head beebutt bun and tie it off with a scrunchie. It works well for me, there are hardly any tangles and it is comfy even in summer. (I used to do a braid down the back, but it was horridly hot in the summertime.)

zift
November 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
I do a single loose braid down my back. I used to wrap it 2-3 times before because it was so long but now no need to do that for waist length hair. :)

Anje
November 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I wear a highly fashionable satin sleep bonnet with my hair loose inside it. This seems to massively reduce the tangles, while (1) allowing my hair to be "down" so my scalp gets a break, (2) preventing me from sleeping on a braid (my other sleep style), and (3) keeping it safe from the cute but evil tassel-munching cat™. It also holds the advantage over my polyester satin pillowcase of leaving me not feeling like I have plastic stuck to my face.

may1em
November 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I like a scrunchie bun on top of my head.

Thrasher07
November 4th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Thank you everyone. :) I think I'm gonna try a different style each night, and then I guess I'll be able to find out which suits me best :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 4th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I know that Lady Grace, who is a memeber here but mostly posts at FLHC2 yahoo group makes them and she has hair about 7 feet long, iof it works for her, it's GOTTA work for you??

lora410
November 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I have a silk pillowcase as well and love it. I normally wear my hair loose, a Caterpillar with scrunchies, regular tail with a scrunchie (they are soft enough they wont bug ya), or a braid. 99% of the time though my hair is down.