PDA

View Full Version : I'm so frustrated! :(

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Please help! I think I'm just broken at this point. I haven't used heat on my hair but maybe 3 times in 2 years. I don't use products containing alcohol or sulfates. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I use oils regularly. I eat well. I gently brush. I don't use hairspray. I don't dye, bleach, or chemically adjust my hair in any other way. I'm SOO GOOD to my hair! Sadly, it absolutely will not grow. It's been stuck at my collarbones for years and years. I have fine, 2B hair that thins drastically in the bottom 4 inches or so. It's healthy... I don't really have but a few little split ends... but it won't grow at all. I don't know what else to do. :( Any suggestions? I need a hair mentor!! :-( This is my first post. I've read, read, and read some more... but nothing helps. I feel so frustrated with this...

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Questions:
1) How do you wear your hair?
2) How often do you wash your hair?
3) Do you use silicones?
4) You use oils. Do you clarify?
5) You use oils. How do you use oils?
6) Just to clarify, do you use leave ins that are not oil?

Jo Ann
October 17th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Do you have any chronic health problems? Are you on any medications, either over-the-counter or prescription?

When was the last time you had a full blood panel done? Are you taking any vitamin supplements?

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 10:04 PM
1) 2 days I wear it down, then it's up in a bun for the rest of the week. I've always used the "ouchless" hair ties, but recently switched to a scrunchie

2) Wash it once a week... sometimes 2

3) I don't use silicones. Forgot to put that in there.

4) I clarify about once every couple of months.

5) After washing, I put a small amount of oil and leave in conditioner on my wet/damp hair. Mid week, I put a couple drops in my dry hair. On wash day, I oil all over and let it marinate before washing it out.

6) I use Monat leave in conditioner OR Cantu cream conditioner

I AM SO OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS! I thank you so much for your replies!!

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 10:11 PM
I do have anxiety issues. I used to be on medication for it, but I would really like to just conquer that demon on my own. I fear I need to go back on them if I want to see any hair results though. :/ Not on any meds though at all. Not even birth control.

I requested a thyroid check that came back fine, but that was it. Should I ask for something else?

No vitamin supplements- Any suggestions?

Also... I don't even know if I'm replying properly. Lol. I'm clicking reply on each thread... but it doesn't seem to be sticking my reply with the right person. It's just throwing it in the bull pen here. Lol. I'm new... please forgive. Lol

blackgothicdoll
October 17th, 2018, 10:15 PM
I do have anxiety issues. I used to be on medication for it, but I would really like to just conquer that demon on my own. I fear I need to go back on them if I want to see any hair results though. :/ Not on any meds though at all. Not even birth control.

I requested a thyroid check that came back fine, but that was it. Should I ask for something else?

Also... I don't even know if I'm replying properly. Lol. I'm clicking reply on each thread... but it doesn't seem to be sticking my reply with the right person. It's just throwing it in the bull pen here. Lol. I'm new... please forgive. Lol

I think 'reply with quote' is the magic button.

How long ago did you get off of your medication? I hope I'm not being too intrusive in asking this. I was on medication for years and I know from experience that certain types take 6 month to a year to detox. That's just something that is good to know in general.

Blood iron - anemia could be a cause, and happens in women especially if you have a heavy menstrual cycle.

Are you eating, exercising, drinking a lot of water? I feel like a mom lol, but these things do make a difference. Your hair care technique seems fine, so health is really the next question.

Jo Ann
October 17th, 2018, 10:20 PM

A blood panel can let your doctor know if you're deficient in any vitamins. Usually, though, a multi-vitamin should cover any deficiency needs, assuming your diet is good (and if your diet isn't so good).

And yes, "Reply With Quote" will keep your replies going to the proper person :flower:

*Wednesday*
October 17th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Your hair is growing, it may be your length retention. Also, if your ends are thin at collarbone (last 4 inchs) I'd be curious if you were terminal at the same length 2yrs. Unlikely but possible your anagen phase is either short or has been shortened.
Usually hair is still thick at CB. Hair with little to no mechanical damage should show a trajectory from collarbone to around BSL in 1.5 years.

You can look into MSN with vitamin C. Pure MSM is rumored for extending the anagen phase so the growing cycle extends a few more years and some people swear by it. Be warned it's not science. I take a SHN with MSM for hair and nail health. Sometimes a multivitamin is sufficient enough.

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 10:36 PM
I think 'reply with quote' is the magic button.

How long ago did you get off of your medication? I hope I'm not being too intrusive in asking this. I was on medication for years and I know from experience that certain types take 6 month to a year to detox. That's just something that is good to know in general.

Blood iron - anemia could be a cause, and happens in women especially if you have a heavy menstrual cycle.

Are you eating, exercising, drinking a lot of water? I feel like a mom lol, but these things do make a difference. Your hair care technique seems fine, so health is really the next question.

I think I eat pretty good stuff... tons of veggies, mainly cook at home with very little take out or dine in stuff. I know I don't drink as much water as I probably should, but I've been trying to drink more this past year. I think I'm going to start tracking that. While I don't designate a time to exercise, I do walk quite a bit with my job. I'm not over or under weight. I'm 5'9" and 130-140 pounds.

I am a regular blood donor, so I know my iron levels are fine... but I could be deficient in things they don't check. I'll ask my PA to run some tests. :)

I've been off my anxiety meds for quite a while. And no, I don't think you're being intrusive at all! I'm an open book and I appreciate your help! :) Mom me! Hahaha!!

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 10:40 PM
A blood panel can let your doctor know if you're deficient in any vitamins. Usually, though, a multi-vitamin should cover any deficiency needs, assuming your diet is good (and if your diet isn't so good).

And yes, "Reply With Quote" will keep your replies going to the proper person :flower:

I think a blood panel is a good idea. I eat pretty good stuff though, so I'm HOPING I get all the vitamins I need with just my meals, but I'm second guessing everything at this point. Lol.

Thank you

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Your hair is growing, it may be your length retention. Also, if your ends are thin at collarbone (last 4 inchs) I'd be curious if you were terminal at the same length 2yrs. Unlikely but possible your anagen phase is either short or has been shortened.
Usually hair is still thick at CB. Hair with little to no mechanical damage should show a trajectory from collarbone to around BSL in 1.5 years.

You can look into MSN with vitamin C. Pure MSM is rumored for extending the anagen phase so the growing cycle extends a few more years and some people swear by it. Be warned it's not science. I take a SHN with MSM for hair and nail health. Sometimes a multivitamin is sufficient enough.

That's my main fear right now. That I've hit terminal. But goodness... that's so short! Since the last few inches are so thin, I'd have to keep it cut short to make my ends look good. :(

I'm not sure what MSN or SHN is. Or where to even find it for that matter. I really am afraid I just have a very short anagen phase. :(

*Wednesday*
October 17th, 2018, 11:02 PM
That's my main fear right now. That I've hit terminal. But goodness... that's so short! Since the last few inches are so thin, I'd have to keep it cut short to make my ends look good. :(

I'm not sure what MSN or SHN is. Or where to even find it for that matter. I really am afraid I just have a very short anagen phase. :(

MSM. Do not buy from companies from China. SHN (skin hair nails).
http://www.optimsm.com/

If you don't chemical process your hair or use heating tools, you should theoretically be gaining length. At CB, you aren't at risk for friction damage.

I would start doing length checks. If you take a pic, wear the same shirt and measure every 2-3 months from the back. Start documenting.

FreyBay
October 17th, 2018, 11:12 PM
MSM. Do not buy from companies from China. SHN (skin hair nails).
http://www.optimsm.com/

If you don't chemical process your hair or use heating tools, you should theoretically be gaining length. At CB, you aren't at risk for friction damage.

I would start doing length checks. If you take a pic, wear the same shirt and measure every 2-3 months from the back. Start documenting.

I started documenting a long time ago, but it wasn't growing at all, so I stopped. It's been barely past my collarbone for so many years now... it's just frustrating. :/ I'll look into the MSM.

SnailFarts
October 17th, 2018, 11:30 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I think you might want to consider seeing a dermatologist. They could maybe help address hair/scalp issues.
I hope things get better for you! :blossom:

FreyBay
October 18th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I'm certainly no expert, but I think you might want to consider seeing a dermatologist. They could maybe help address hair/scalp issues.
I hope things get better for you! :blossom:

Thank you.

Lady Stardust
October 18th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Do you ever get trims? I grew my hair without trims a couple of times when I was younger and the last few inches would be see through. Iím having half an inch trimmed every 3 months this time and my ends are thicker and altogether happier. Weíre all different, but my hair needs strength in numbers.

On the other hand, I tried growing my hair with small trims in the past and the hairdresser was too scissor happy - she would often cut off most of my growth. My current hairdresser is great and only cuts exactly what I ask. Also, I used to be too critical of my hair and thought that it needed trimming when it wasnít really too bad. My hair is naturally thinner and finer at the front and I would use that to judge the condition of my hair and whether it needed to be cut. My hairdresser even used to tell me to ignore that section because it wasnít indicative of the rest of my hair. I should have listened to her, Iíve learned to look at the bigger picture.

The only other thing I would suggest is wearing it up even more often, maybe in a peacock twist? Collarbone length can get caught on clothing and bag straps. Maybe just try it for a while to see if it helps your growth. It could be growing OK but the ends are wearing away or breaking off.

spidermom
October 18th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I'm also wondering if you get your hair trimmed. It may be that the stylist is keeping your hair at this length. He/she may also be layering it since you say the ends are thin.

OhSuzi
October 18th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I was about to ask the same thing!
You haven’t mentioned how often you get it cut / trimmed

Hair grows on average about half an inch, that’s about 1.3 cm, per month.
Some people have hair that grows more than this, some people it grows slower than this and for some people it changes depending on the time of year and their diet etc.

If you’re someone with slow growing hair and you’re following the age old hair dressers advice of ‘regular trims helps your hair grow’, ‘go to the hair dressers once every 6 – 8 weeks’, ‘we’ll chop of no more than half an inch – well maybe a bit more’ - this might be the issue?
6 – 8 weeks is a good healthy maintain this style - but if you are trying to grow, they could be chopping off the only growth progress.

I went to the hairdressers regularly before I came to this site.
Now I have had it trimmed once in 2 years and and I may consider another tiny trim in about 4 months time.
Amazingly my hair hasn’t turned into a crazy tangled hedgerow in the meantime - it’s just grown longer in a healthy way with minimal splits or damage.

I’m almost hoping that this is it – otherwise I have no idea why you’r hair doesn’t seem to be getting past a certain length?

Also can’t tell if your hair is straight of curly.
Curls eat up the length – your hair might still be growing and you’d notice the extra length if you pulled a curl out straight? But when it’s curly it might seem the same length as always – although hopefully thicker & eventually it would start to appear longer.

Or possibly if you’re new here and to the idea of growing your hair, it might be just that your memory is a bit blurry and you think its been the same length for at least 2 years but actually it used to be chin length two years ago & you did get get a big cut last Novemeber etc. compare old photos so you can really see if it has grown? And going forward maybe take a hair length pic every month - you should hopefully start to see a difference prob after about 5 months if not before - and if not then you’d have photographical supporting info you can take to the docs to say look im not remembering this wrong – my hair really doesn’t seem to be growing.

lapushka
October 18th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I haven't read through all the comments in this thread, but I am just going to ask the obvious. Are you by chance still going to a hair dresser and getting trims every so often? If so, that may be it. Hairdressers will snip your growth off if you go every 6 to 8 weeks. It will never grow that way.

WyntreBlossom
October 18th, 2018, 06:08 PM
I also suffer from anxiety/panic and am on regular medications but it doesn't seem to affect my growth (though every medication and all hair is different!)

My advice would be to avoid scrunchies/hair ties (since you said you prefer buns when it is up) and switch to using hair stick if you have enough hair to hold a hair stick. When I did that my growth picked up speed a bit.

My hair always bottoms out at APL(or at least it did in my youth), but this time round im at BSL and still going, and my hair is thick and I have no split ends, even though I have not trimmed or micro trimmed in over a year.

Another suggestion would be to lay off the heat if you use any heating items like a curler/iron/blow dryer. Avoid harmful chemicals like hairsprays etc.

Something else that worked for me was I tried a "braid everyday" challenge, and a "bun everyday" challenge. Wearing my hair up a lot has helped keep me cool and grow my hair out more.

The only other thing I can think of is climate. Are you somewhere that's really warm? Really cold? There are ways to protect your hair in extreme temperatures as well.

FreyBay
October 21st, 2018, 12:26 PM
Do you ever get trims? I grew my hair without trims a couple of times when I was younger and the last few inches would be see through. I’m having half an inch trimmed every 3 months this time and my ends are thicker and altogether happier. We’re all different, but my hair needs strength in numbers.

On the other hand, I tried growing my hair with small trims in the past and the hairdresser was too scissor happy - she would often cut off most of my growth. My current hairdresser is great and only cuts exactly what I ask. Also, I used to be too critical of my hair and thought that it needed trimming when it wasn’t really too bad. My hair is naturally thinner and finer at the front and I would use that to judge the condition of my hair and whether it needed to be cut. My hairdresser even used to tell me to ignore that section because it wasn’t indicative of the rest of my hair. I should have listened to her, I’ve learned to look at the bigger picture.

The only other thing I would suggest is wearing it up even more often, maybe in a peacock twist? Collarbone length can get caught on clothing and bag straps. Maybe just try it for a while to see if it helps your growth. It could be growing OK but the ends are wearing away or breaking off.

Oooohhh.... what's a peacock twist? Sounds cute! :) I do trims on myself to keep hair dressers from hacking away at it. Lol. I haven't had anyone else touch my hair in a couple years.

FreyBay
October 21st, 2018, 12:27 PM
I'm also wondering if you get your hair trimmed. It may be that the stylist is keeping your hair at this length. He/she may also be layering it since you say the ends are thin.

No, I do little trims myself. Invested in a good pair of hair shears. :)

FreyBay
October 21st, 2018, 12:34 PM
I was about to ask the same thing!
You haven’t mentioned how often you get it cut / trimmed

Hair grows on average about half an inch, that’s about 1.3 cm, per month.
Some people have hair that grows more than this, some people it grows slower than this and for some people it changes depending on the time of year and their diet etc.

If you’re someone with slow growing hair and you’re following the age old hair dressers advice of ‘regular trims helps your hair grow’, ‘go to the hair dressers once every 6 – 8 weeks’, ‘we’ll chop of no more than half an inch – well maybe a bit more’ - this might be the issue?
6 – 8 weeks is a good healthy maintain this style - but if you are trying to grow, they could be chopping off the only growth progress.

I went to the hairdressers regularly before I came to this site.
Now I have had it trimmed once in 2 years and and I may consider another tiny trim in about 4 months time.
Amazingly my hair hasn’t turned into a crazy tangled hedgerow in the meantime - it’s just grown longer in a healthy way with minimal splits or damage.

I’m almost hoping that this is it – otherwise I have no idea why you’r hair doesn’t seem to be getting past a certain length?

Also can’t tell if your hair is straight of curly.
Curls eat up the length – your hair might still be growing and you’d notice the extra length if you pulled a curl out straight? But when it’s curly it might seem the same length as always – although hopefully thicker & eventually it would start to appear longer.

Or possibly if you’re new here and to the idea of growing your hair, it might be just that your memory is a bit blurry and you think its been the same length for at least 2 years but actually it used to be chin length two years ago & you did get get a big cut last Novemeber etc. compare old photos so you can really see if it has grown? And going forward maybe take a hair length pic every month - you should hopefully start to see a difference prob after about 5 months if not before - and if not then you’d have photographical supporting info you can take to the docs to say look im not remembering this wrong – my hair really doesn’t seem to be growing.

I invested in some good hair shears and I do little micro trims on myself. Haven't been to a hairdresser in years. My hair is type 2b with a few 2c curls and I do know that does screw me up a bit, but when it's wet, it's straight and it just seems like it's never going to get past this point. It just thins out and stops growing. :/

FreyBay
October 21st, 2018, 12:36 PM
I haven't read through all the comments in this thread, but I am just going to ask the obvious. Are you by chance still going to a hair dresser and getting trims every so often? If so, that may be it. Hairdressers will snip your growth off if you go every 6 to 8 weeks. It will never grow that way.

No, I do my own little baby trims to keep that from happening

FreyBay
October 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM
I also suffer from anxiety/panic and am on regular medications but it doesn't seem to affect my growth (though every medication and all hair is different!)

My advice would be to avoid scrunchies/hair ties (since you said you prefer buns when it is up) and switch to using hair stick if you have enough hair to hold a hair stick. When I did that my growth picked up speed a bit.

My hair always bottoms out at APL(or at least it did in my youth), but this time round im at BSL and still going, and my hair is thick and I have no split ends, even though I have not trimmed or micro trimmed in over a year.

Another suggestion would be to lay off the heat if you use any heating items like a curler/iron/blow dryer. Avoid harmful chemicals like hairsprays etc.

Something else that worked for me was I tried a "braid everyday" challenge, and a "bun everyday" challenge. Wearing my hair up a lot has helped keep me cool and grow my hair out more.

The only other thing I can think of is climate. Are you somewhere that's really warm? Really cold? There are ways to protect your hair in extreme temperatures as well.

I think I need to go on medication bc the lack of is probably what's affecting my hair the most. I'm really thinking that my hair just falls out quicker than it can grow back ya know. So I'm gonna work up the nerve to go talk to my pa about getting on something I think. :(

It's not that I really super prefer buns, it's just that my hair is too thin to look good with anything else I've tried. I'd love to have thick hair, but that just isn't going to happen. :/

I don't use heat, hairspray, alcohol, silicone, sulphate or any other bad chemicals.

Maybe I'll try the braid every day challenge. I gotta get better at braiding lol.

The temps here are crazy. Completely unpredictable. Lol. Triple digits in the summer. Teens in the winters. Or it could be warm enough to have xmas outside. Lol. It's crazy. What's a good protective style? Any links I could follow? :)
Thank you.

MusicalSpoons
October 21st, 2018, 03:53 PM
This might be a stupid question to ask, but how much do you trim off and how often? If you trim too often, even with small amounts, you could still be cutting off all the new length. Or you might already know that and aren't doing so, but just wanted to check! :flower:

akurah
October 21st, 2018, 04:05 PM
My advice is to stop trimming before you try anything else that could be expensive or nonproductive.

lapushka
October 21st, 2018, 04:08 PM
No, I do my own little baby trims to keep that from happening

How much do you trim, exactly? The trims might not be so "baby" as you think. I just want to check to make sure it's not that. :flower: Can you humor me? ;)

spidermom
October 21st, 2018, 05:03 PM
I recommend you get a length picture once per season. There's a thread for it here: the seasonal hair growth project. A picture once per month may not reveal growth, but in 3 months it should. A shirt with horizontal stripes is perfect for this. I don't know how often you are trimming, but try trimming less often. If you're taking good care of your hair, you shouldn't need frequent trims.

It is, of course, possible that your hair has a short growth cycle. I know that on my head, some hairs only grow for a few months because I regularly see shed hairs that are only 2-4 inches long. I also have hairs that grow for a very long time because I've grown hair down to my legs before. There's not much you can do about a short growth cycle, although improvements in diet, hormonal changes, etc, might result in a longer growth cycle. Good luck to you!

peachplumpear
October 21st, 2018, 07:21 PM
My hair was stuck at APL for probably two or three years, and for me clarifying was what made all the difference. I knew my hair was growing because I needed to trim my bangs often, but my ends would break off at the same rate as my hair was growing in. I was so baffled - I wasn't dyeing, heat styling, towel drying, or doing anything else that could be seriously damaging it. Turns out my fine hair had such a build up on it that no moisture was getting in (heavy conditioners, oils, and leave ins didn't and still do not help me at all). After a few months of using the Suave clarifying twice a month, my hair looked and felt better than it had in years, and continues to improve as I get trims that get rid of old damage. So maybe consider trying a stronger clarifying shampoo and ease up on using heavy products and oils for a bit.

WyntreBlossom
October 22nd, 2018, 01:27 PM
I think I need to go on medication bc the lack of is probably what's affecting my hair the most. I'm really thinking that my hair just falls out quicker than it can grow back ya know. So I'm gonna work up the nerve to go talk to my pa about getting on something I think. :(

It's not that I really super prefer buns, it's just that my hair is too thin to look good with anything else I've tried. I'd love to have thick hair, but that just isn't going to happen. :/

I don't use heat, hairspray, alcohol, silicone, sulphate or any other bad chemicals.

Maybe I'll try the braid every day challenge. I gotta get better at braiding lol.

The temps here are crazy. Completely unpredictable. Lol. Triple digits in the summer. Teens in the winters. Or it could be warm enough to have xmas outside. Lol. It's crazy. What's a good protective style? Any links I could follow? :)
Thank you.

My hair is on the normal to thin side so I understand your feelings about hairstyles and buns. Even my buns are pretty small and shrink during the days just before wash day so I feel the struggle. Its about finding what works for you. Braids/plaits can be a good way to "fake" thickness in thin hair if you gently fluff the plait and braid loosely. At least in my expierence.

When its cold out, try oils to help keep your hair happy. Warm weather, just keep the hair up and out of harms way. I know it's not much help but hopefully this helps a little!