PDA

View Full Version : Scissors!

Tlb2012
October 17th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Does anyone here wear their hair up more than usual for fear of some nutcase coming after your hair with scissors? A jealous bitty chopped off my hair in 1st grade. It was in a short V shape in the back up to my neck until it grew out!

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 07:19 PM
I've heard it mentioned on the forums but personally, no. I've never had anyone try to cut off my hair. That said, other than these past eight years, it's been between a pixie, and maybe APL so the situation wouldn't have come up.

blackgothicdoll
October 17th, 2018, 07:27 PM
My hair is currently short, but I do have this weird vision of myself having long hair and someone snipping it off on the metro. I think I read a story of it actually happening to someone, and then the fear that it would happen to me suddenly came to life. I won't have that problem for years, but it'll be interesting to see if I still have that odd fear when my hair does get longer.

*Wednesday*
October 17th, 2018, 07:30 PM
No. I'm more afraid of seatbelts and pocketbooks snagging my hair than a rogue hair snipper. I wear it up to protect from daily damage.

Ylva
October 17th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I live in a very safe country and don't really spend time in any other kind of places, but the thought/fear crosses my mind now and then. I'm not afraid of it to such degree that it would prevent me from leaving my house or anything, but you never know. These countries, too, are becoming crazier and crazier these days...

Jo Ann
October 17th, 2018, 08:50 PM
In a word, no. Not something that even pops up on my horizon or radar.

Doreen
October 17th, 2018, 11:13 PM
My hair is currently short, but I do have this weird vision of myself having long hair and someone snipping it off on the metro. I think I read a story of it actually happening to someone, and then the fear that it would happen to me suddenly came to life. I won't have that problem for years, but it'll be interesting to see if I still have that odd fear when my hair does get longer.

I remember reading that story too... one of many reasons to be cautious when taking public transport!

Tlb2012, after that happened to you I can see why you would be more fearful.
Personally, I am no more afraid of it than I am of sharks when I go to the beach. I know people have gotten bitten by sharks while swimming in shallow water, but that doesn't stop me from going in anyway. It could happen, but it's not likely to happen, so I don't let it affect my decisions and try not to worry about it.

TreesOfEternity
October 17th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Not someone cutting it, but when I'm in a crowded place (you may have this idea of Spain where we hang out on pub terraces or simply in the street in the evening as it's warm and stuff) I'm really paranoid someone lighting a cigarrette behind me is going to burn my hair. Or someone who is simply holding a cigarrette by the street and holds it too close to my hair. It freaks me out.

illicitlizard
October 18th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Nope it doesn't concern me, but if you'd had someone chop your hair off before I can understand why it would!
TreesOfEternity close by ciggies concern me too tbh, I'm always concerned I'm gonna be singed when someone in a crowded place lights up.

lapushka
October 18th, 2018, 06:48 AM
I wear my hair up, because I don't want FTL hair hanging in my way (and it's not safe either, IMO). I don't do it out of mad fear of some nut with scissors.

Sorry to hear you had your hair chopped off once before, OP!

My grandma once snipped the pigtails off of her sister, because she was jealous. She once told me that when she was in her late 50s, at the time she was growing out her hair. I had long hair (about classic) at the time. I'm not sure why she told me, but she told me to be proud of my hair as well.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 18th, 2018, 06:59 AM
I have heard of long haired people being mugged and their hair being forcibly cut off to be sold. I don't know if it has ever happened here, but yes, I do think about it sometimes - however the main reason I wear my hair up is to protect it from wear and tear, and tangling. If I did decide to wear my hair loose anywhere it certainly wouldn't be on the metro or in a very crowded place.

Joules
October 18th, 2018, 07:08 AM
There are a lot of stories here in Russia about nutjobs going after women with long hair in public transport, I've heard stories about chunks of hair and tips of dreadlocks being cut off, (even entire braids, but it seems unlikely, since cutting off braids requires time and effort). And not all stories are about perverted men, there was a case of an angry old woman who snipped off a good amount of girl's hair because...just because, she was an angry old woman, it's not unusual here.

So yeah...call me paranoid, but I do try to hide my hair when I'm in close proximity to strangers.

amiraaah
October 18th, 2018, 07:44 AM
This same exact story i shared on lhc when i joined.it happened to a friend of mine.her hair was chopped by a lady in the metro and all local media started talking about it

StylishConfetti
October 18th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Reminds me of the 17th-18th century when men wore wigs that were so expensive, they were the most attractive item to thieves, who would steal them right off their heads! Then off to the secondhand market to make some money while the rich man wanders bald down the street...

HaMalka
October 18th, 2018, 05:17 PM
I sometimes worry about strangers stealing it, but not very much. I sometimes worry a bit more about family members who don't like my hair and have been threatening to cut it off in my sleep and attempting to bribe the hairdresser to cut it off.