PDA

View Full Version : Shedding too much hair with the inversion method?

Natalia_A00
October 16th, 2018, 04:48 PM
So I decided to give this inversion method a try. I was in a FB group in which everybody seemed to love it and said that if you massage your scalp with oils while bending over (essential oils mixed with other light oils) for a week, it would grow faster.

When I finished I realized that there was A LOT of hair on the floor, like a really big chunk. Honestly I freaked out a little bit!
I really want to try this method but I hate losing hair, maybe I am doing it the wrong way? Should I be more gentle?

Does anyone here do this method? Do you know if it's normal to see a lot of hair on the floor afterwards? How do you do it (the massage)? How do you prevent your hair from falling?
Thanks in advance! :blossom:

Natalia_A00
October 16th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I used coconut oil with thyme (I left the thyme for two days and then I removed it), maybe this oil is too heavy to apply on the scalp?

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Maybe your scalp doesn't appreciate the oils. Some people are better off not putting anything at all on their scalps as it causes them to shed a lot. It could also be that the oil is causing your hair to get stuck on other hairs or your fingers more and you are accidentally pulling it off or it's breaking because of that, but I'd guess the first option more.

I do the inversion method regularly (approximately once a week, I don't do it one week at a time and then take a break but constantly) and I don't experience any increased shedding because of it except if I oil all of my hair. I always shed more when I do that or a deep treatment, but that's not really abnormal.

desisparkles
October 16th, 2018, 04:59 PM
I just did this method for the first time last week for a solid week. I didn't notice any extra shedding but I don't really brush my hair since I've wavy so I tend to shed when I touch my hair at all. Well not extra shedding it's just my natural shedding which comes out all at once in the shower when I'm finger detangling so if I'm massaging my scalp out of the shower I will get some loose hairs.

I have read some ladies get extra shedding when using oils, but that's not the case for me. It may also just depend on the type of oil. I see you used coconut. Maybe try another light oil if you have one - sweet almond? avocado?

Natalia_A00
October 16th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Maybe your scalp doesn't appreciate the oils. Some people are better off not putting anything at all on their scalps as it causes them to shed a lot. It could also be that the oil is causing your hair to get stuck on other hairs or your fingers more and you are accidentally pulling it off or it's breaking because of that, but I'd guess the first option more.

I do the inversion method regularly (approximately once a week, I don't do it one week at a time and then take a break but constantly) and I don't experience any increased shedding because of it except if I oil all of my hair. I always shed more when I do that or a deep treatment, but that's not really abnormal.

Yes! Thank you, I think it's gonna be the oil in my scalp... Will it still work if I use less oil or not oil at all? I hope so!

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Yes! Thank you, I think it's gonna be the oil in my scalp... Will it still work if I use less oil or not oil at all? I hope so!

Hmm, maybe. All you can do is experiment! You could also try an oil-free scalp tonic, in case your scalp doesn't like oils specifically but accepts some other substances. I am actually going to test some such tonics at some point myself. Here's a video that could give you ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxC3No551Q

lithostoic
October 16th, 2018, 05:20 PM
The massaging is what does most of the benefit! You can skip the oil if you don't need it or it's causing problems.

blackgothicdoll
October 16th, 2018, 05:23 PM
I'd try using something that is not as thick as coconut oil. It is very heavy and I'm sure it could be clogging your follicles. Jojoba or grapeseed are very light alternatives. I'm not sure what oil you are using, but I'd recommend something like tea tree or rosemary, as they are antiseptic and can help prevent your scalp from getting 'yucky' if you're trooping out the whole week without washing. When I try inversion, I don't add oil every day is my scalp still feels oily from the day before - and I go ahead and wash or cowash if my hair is just far too oily. HTH.

paulownia
October 16th, 2018, 11:55 PM
I never tried inversion method, but I was using Dabur Vatika oil (coconut based) on my scalp a couple of years ago and it caused massive shedding. The same with other herb-infused oils I was testing - whenever I'd apply oil on scapl my hair would just fall out. ( Curiously enought the co-washing attempts had the same effect). So I learned my lesson - no oils on my scalp.
I had much better results with herbal tonics (mentioned by Ylva). Those alcohol-based work for me, my scalp never complained:D. Recently I'm using Weledas rosemary hair tonic and I'm pretty happy with the results. Hair grows nicely, less shedding.
But my favourite was always Farmona Radical anti-hair loss treatment, with horsetail extract. I had a lot of baby hair after this one:D

AutobotsAttack
October 17th, 2018, 12:09 AM
I find it’s the actual massaging that causes more noticeable shedding than oils do. I’m convinced those hair were close to their shedding phase and the massaging kind of gave them a boost to go ahead and shed. Sometimes it’s more sometimes it’s less.

Natalia_A00
October 17th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Thank you all! Sounds like I should give those hair tonics a try! :)

lapushka
October 17th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I find it’s the actual massaging that causes more noticeable shedding than oils do. I’m convinced those hair were close to their shedding phase and the massaging kind of gave them a boost to go ahead and shed. Sometimes it’s more sometimes it’s less.

Oils on the scalp or conditioner on the scalp causing shedding is a "thing", though! I doubt it's the massaging because I have done that in the past and sometimes still do a bit while washing, without oil (because I couldn't take it), and it was just fine.

littlestarface
October 17th, 2018, 01:52 PM
If I saw that much hair I wouldn't even attempt it again, that's nuts.

lapushka
October 17th, 2018, 02:01 PM
If I saw that much hair I wouldn't even attempt it again, that's nuts.

Yeah, that's why I reserve "massaging" to a good "scrub" (non-lingering, so just doing what's necessary) while washing - and that is it; often not even that much hair comes out with the wash.

Natalia_A00
October 19th, 2018, 04:45 PM
It was definitely the coconut oil in my scalp. I tried the massage again without oil and I didn't lose any hair, and even with olive oil my hair seemed fine. Well, lesson learnt, no coconut oil in my scalp

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 04:47 PM
It was definitely the coconut oil in my scalp. I tried the massage again without oil and I didn't lose any hair, and even with olive oil my hair seemed fine. Well, lesson learnt, no coconut oil in my scalp

Hmm. Why is coconut oil so bothersome to a lot of people. :hmm: I mean, not on the scalp per sé, but on the ends (dry, crunchy ends).

blackgothicdoll
October 19th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Hmm. Why is coconut oil so bothersome to a lot of people. :hmm: I mean, not on the scalp per sé, but on the ends (dry, crunchy ends).

I wish I knew. At one point I would use pure, virgin coconut oil on my hair and it was the best thing ever. That was years ago. Last year was when I started to get dry and crunchy hair. I wonder if I never noticed because I wasn't paying much attention to my hair and it was always like that, or if suddenly my hair just stopped liking it.

I can still use products that contain coconut oil, but it seems that raw, pure coconut oil is a no go. To be fair, I haven't tried it since around last winter, but it was bad enough for me to not want to.

Zesty
October 19th, 2018, 05:59 PM

I'm not a super expert, but coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft and can make hair seem like it has protein overload for that reason.

lapushka
October 21st, 2018, 03:32 PM
I'm not a super expert, but coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft and can make hair seem like it has protein overload for that reason.

Yes that seems like it's very possible! :) I mean it's about the only oil that has something to do with protein in the hair; keeping it in there.