PDA

View Full Version : Question: Why have long beautiful hair if it's always hidden?

HairFanson
October 16th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Hi there!
I'm a frequent lurker, but I don't post much.

My question is this; I see all these posts about how you have to wear your hair up to protect it so it can grow... what is the point of having long beautiful hair if it is up all the time, or under a scarf or whatever and hidden?

I want long beautiful hair that I can see everyday. Its like working really really hard and buying a really fancy car that only sits in the garage, or a stunning piece of jewelry that only sits in the safe....

Is it just the idea of having it? I'm not talking about those with religious/cultural reasons for hair/head covering, just everyone else who seems to hide their gorgeous hair for the pleasure of combing it out at home? I don't understand...

enting
October 16th, 2018, 01:12 PM
For me it's more like having a stunning piece of jewelry that is only taken out and worn for special occasions, lest it get damaged by frequent use.

Estrid
October 16th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Well, I quite like having it for myself. Knowing that it's there, being able to take it down if I want to but also be able to do a lot of pretty styles. I don't consider my goal length hair styles (crown braids, milkmaid braids) to be "hiding" the hair.

littlestarface
October 16th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Why just cuz if I have "beautiful hair" should I show it off to anyone? Maybe that's why the few of us who do have long beautiful hair is cuz we always wear it up instead of it being loose and getting damaged.

SwanFeathers
October 16th, 2018, 01:15 PM
That's what public bun-drops are for ;)
But seriously, most of us don't have time to do our favorite long hair styles everyday, so we protect it in the meantime, but we rock our hair as much as our lifestyles allow. Some of us also enjoy being sneaky about our length, and for some of us it is a private treasure.

Cg
October 16th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Because my hair is for me, not to impress someone else.

Because long hair is almost no effort or expense to maintain, whereas short hair requires both.

Because I don't like hair in my face, so the choice is either pixie (and recut every 4 weeks) or long enough to bun.

If you want to wear your hair down to enjoy it, do so. It's your hair and your choice.

neko_kawaii
October 16th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I don't like having hair in my face or on my neck, nor do I like the expense of hairdressers, so super short pixies, while adorable, are out due to maintenance combined with a love of braids (I don't have the skill to braid a pixie). For me, up is my default because I PREFER up to down. For me, it isn't a question of maintaining "beauty" but of convenience.

HairFanson
October 16th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Because my hair is for me, not to impress someone else.

Because long hair is almost no effort or expense to maintain, whereas short hair requires both.

Because I don't like hair in my face, so the choice is either pixie (and recut every 4 weeks) or long enough to bun.

If you want to wear your hair down to enjoy it, do so. It's your hair and your choice.

- that makes sense. And to clarify- I don't mean by "hiding" that the alternative is "showing off" or trying to "impress" anyone.
I can definitely see how long hair is more economical, and definitely easier, since shorter styles usually require work to make them the shape/texture they were intended.

I guess it just feels like, if you don't wear your hair up/covered all the time, then it won't grow. I want to enjoy it at all the lengths AND grow.

I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Just curious as to their thoughts.

Estrid- You're absolutely right- there are some stunning styles at all lengths, that are fun in and of themselves and a great way to enjoy the fruits of your patience and gains! Your 'dos are beautiful!

Sora Rose
October 16th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I actually do see my hair every day - morning when I comb, and evening before I go to bed. Maybe not all the time, but I honestly don't have time to admire my hair all the time. I actually appreciate it more now that I do wear it up. Back when I wore it down every day, I just ignored it and didn't care because I 'saw it all the time anyway'.

Besides, if I really want to see it, I can just pull out my hairstick and shake it out.

I also really love combing/brushing, and the idea that I've got a secret contained in this bun. No one outside my immediate family has seen my hair down in more than a year.

Double the benefit, though, because I have some terribly uneven ends I really don't want strangers looking at until I decide they look okay again.:eye:

Ligeia Noire
October 16th, 2018, 01:39 PM
It is like having a beautiful body. Do you show it all the time? I honestly don't understand the confusion that people get about someone not wearing their hair down all the time? Just because you have it should you flaunt it? Most of the long haired people I came to know throughout my staying here or on YouTube have long hair for themselves their enjoyment and it is also part of who they are. And also the obvious point of getting damaged. Hair past certain lengths won't get longer healthily if you wear it down. There are times and places that one is able to wear it down. We do it. That's of course not an everyday thing. Just like your treasured pearl necklace or gown it is not for everyday wear.... we live in a society of the if you have it flaunt it. Of buying to ostentate to show off.
How many women back in Victorian times had super long manes that they never wore down and they still kept them long?
I can tell you my mom never wears or wore her hair down in public for what, 40 years?
And she got to floor many times.
Some people prefer it up in fancy updos. I am one of them. The longer the hair the bigger and better the bun. Not trying to be rude but explaining the other side of the coin.

Chromis
October 16th, 2018, 01:42 PM
I enjoy having it up. I grow it so that I can put it up! I love doing cool updos and using fun hairtoys to hold it up.

I don't like having it down in my face and in my way. That is not enjoyable to me.

ravenskey
October 16th, 2018, 01:58 PM
For me, it's a careful balance of enjoyment and convenience.

I love how long hair looks down and I don't treat mine like old lace(nothing wrong if you do). I play around with hairdos a lot because I think there are so many cool styles you can do, with no cut required. Mostly it's up because it can get in the way but if I want to do a half up I will! Plaits are awesome because they contain the hair but still show off the length. Next year I'm going to do a whole year of full updos to get into the bun game...basically find what works best for you because everyone's hair and opinion is different :)

Joules
October 16th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Well, we don't wear it up all the time. That's a silly idea. I see my hair every morning and every night, probably even in-between if I'm staying at home and have a chance to practice new braiding techniques (or if I'm just changing the updo, I have sensitive scalp). When I'm at work or running errands, I'm not even thinking about my hair and how it's styled, why would I?

Hair isn't a jewelry. It's a body part. A girl with gorgeous boobs isn't obligated to show it off at all times, so what's so different about hair? I'm not here to decorate your world. I can do whatever the hell I please with my hair, and if you don't see the point in my actions, well, it's not my problem. I hear this question more often than it would be appropriate, I don't really mean to sound rude, sorry if I do.

As for the reasons behind growing - yes, for me it is the idea of long hair. I've always wanted it long, long long, at least tailbone long. When I say "always" I mean I don't remember ever looking at a short haircut and wanting to get it. My mom used to cut my hair into a bob when I was very little, just because she didn't want to deal with it, but the moment I learned to take care of my hair myself I grew it out to BSL. I embarked on a hardcore growing-to-tailbone journey at the age of 15, I've had a couple of frustrated chops to BSL or APL during that time, and however nice those lengths might have felt, all I could think about after doing it was growing it back asap. Long hair is me, it's my spirit, my soul, extension of my nervous system, whatever spiritual stuff you believe in, as long as I know that this bun on my head is created with long hair I'm in harmony with myself. And that's the only thing I care about.

Besides, having your hair up all the time and then taking it down before *being intimate* with your significant other is the sexiest thing in the world

littlestarface
October 16th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Besides, having your hair up all the time and then taking it down before *being intimate* with your significant other is the sexiest thing in the world
I wish my boyfriend thought that, my hair just annoys him like anything and he rather it be up or in braids.

ArabellaRose
October 16th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I do wear my hair down a lot, most of the time infact, because I don't like how I look with my hair up. I've managed to grow to nearly hip without microtrimming or wearing my hair up (apart from for work). However, out of curiosity, and a desire to keep my hair healthy, I'm training myself to get used to wearing my hair up in buns using a stick to protect (my hair doesn't like braids), just to see how my hair fares in comparison to my usual length.

Once I reach my goal and am happy with the health I will go back to wearing it down more, just to see how my hair does with that.

TLDR: it's all personal choice.

lithostoic
October 16th, 2018, 02:13 PM
I don't wear my hair long in order to look attractive to other people. I also have a small waist and round butt, does that mean I should always wear leggings? Of course not!

*Wednesday*
October 16th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I wear my hair down sometimes. I just like it up more to keep out of my way. My hair is mine, not for other people.

BTW, your Avi OP, you have stunning hair.

lithostoic
October 16th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Correct! My boyfriend asks me to let my hair down haha

Joules
October 16th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I wish my boyfriend thought that, my hair just annoys him like anything and he rather it be up or in braids.

I guess there's a limit on comfortable hair length in such situations then? :bluebiggr I've never had hair to my knees, but I can imagine it becoming inconvenient at a certain length :bluebiggr

kph12
October 16th, 2018, 02:32 PM
If I'm at work I don't feel the need to have my hair on display. Besides, it's distracting because I play with it too much :lol:

But, I love having long hair when I'm going out on the weekend or on a date or for special occasions. It's just the BEST accessory. And keeping it up and out of harms way isn't terrible because it allows it to shine when I do want to show it off!

Milkchocolate
October 16th, 2018, 02:38 PM
For me it’s a comfort thing. I like wearing it down when I’m purposely trying to look my best. But wearing it down on a normal basis would be uncomfortable from sitting on it too much, it getting caught on things, people accidentally tugging on it, being unable to do everyday errands like gardening, cleaning etc.

it’s kind of like, wearing your best outfits for example. You don’t wear them every single day, just when you want to look extra nice :)

enting
October 16th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Well, we don't wear it up all the time. That's a silly idea. I see my hair every morning and every night, probably even in-between if I'm staying at home and have a chance to practice new braiding techniques (or if I'm just changing the updo, I have sensitive scalp). When I'm at work or running errands, I'm not even thinking about my hair and how it's styled, why would I?

Hair isn't a jewelry. It's a body part. A girl with gorgeous boobs isn't obligated to show it off at all times, so what's so different about hair? I'm not here to decorate your world. I can do whatever the hell I please with my hair, and if you don't see the point in my actions, well, it's not my problem. I hear this question more often than it would be appropriate, I don't really mean to sound rude, sorry if I do.

As for the reasons behind growing - yes, for me it is the idea of long hair. I've always wanted it long, long long, at least tailbone long. When I say "always" I mean I don't remember ever looking at a short haircut and wanting to get it. My mom used to cut my hair into a bob when I was very little, just because she didn't want to deal with it, but the moment I learned to take care of my hair myself I grew it out to BSL. I embarked on a hardcore growing-to-tailbone journey at the age of 15, I've had a couple of frustrated chops to BSL or APL during that time, and however nice those lengths might have felt, all I could think about after doing it was growing it back asap. Long hair is me, it's my spirit, my soul, extension of my nervous system, whatever spiritual stuff you believe in, as long as I know that this bun on my head is created with long hair I'm in harmony with myself. And that's the only thing I care about.

Bolding mine.
I agree with this. And on the flip side, if someone wants to flaunt it, go for it.

My comment about it being like jewelry was partially to speak the same language as in the original post and partially because I do treat my hair similarly to jewelry that I don't want to get damaged. But not quite, because hair grows and jewelry can't fix itself :D.

I treat my hair like my skin - if I'm going somewhere where it's going to get damaged, I cover it. For instance, hiking through brambles in shorts just seems like a really damaging idea for my body, even if I had awesome legs to show off.

I also find that after a certain length I don't want it down in front of everyone. There are some people that just have to comment and go on and on about it and sometimes I just want to live my life, you know?

GrowlingCupcake
October 16th, 2018, 02:46 PM

My partner doesn't care but I find my hair annoying in 'intimate' situations. Having it in my face or accidentally lying on it or having to deal with the mass of tangles that inevitably ensues. Nope, nope, nope.

OP, I entirely understand your curiosity about this, as I felt the same way. I still do to some extent about my own hair but I've realised that I just don't like having my hair down. Maybe if I could braid, I would, because a lovely long braid hanging down is very pretty, but I definitely prefer my hair contained versus free; I might wear it down for special occasions, but it mostly lives in a bun.

As others have explained, there are many lovely updos, and it's frequently for yourself, rather than for others. I feel it can be akin to pretty lingerie; I don't need others to see it in order for me to feel the difference in myself.

That said, I look forward to the day when I can have a glorious bun drop xD

Deborah
October 16th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I think most women look beautiful with their hair up in a pretty bun.

Zesty
October 16th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I guess there's a limit on comfortable hair length in such situations then? :bluebiggr I've never had hair to my knees, but I can imagine it becoming inconvenient at a certain length :bluebiggr

It works just fine at classic still. :couch:

Anyway, part of the fun of long hair for me is being able to do tons of different styles with it and wear pretty accessories. And, as others have said, then having your hair down is "special," as opposed to, "Oh, that's always hanging around me all the time, ho-hum." Plus my hair wouldn't be as long or pretty if I wore it down *all* the time, I'm positive. Comparing it to having an aesthetically pleasing body also seems apt to me.

Natalia_A00
October 16th, 2018, 03:43 PM
That's something I don't understand either, and I don't mean any offense to anybody. Buns and some protective hairstyles are really nice but I don't think wearing it down once in a while does so much harm or it's so damaging. I mean, personally, I don't want tailbone length hair to just put it always in a bun. But it's just my personal opinion!
I like long hair because it has more options, tho. Wear it down, braids, buns... I also like to vary, but I prefer it down

TreesOfEternity
October 16th, 2018, 03:54 PM
The thing is wearing long hair down is quite inconvenient 90% of the time, it's always in the way. And I won't be uncomfortable just to look prettier to some people (because if I'm uncomfortable I can't feel pretty).
Also, it's difficult to have beautiful long hair if you wear it down 24/7. So you have to compromise.

Natalia_A00
October 16th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Also there's nothing wrong if I like to show my hair off (although my hair is not so long now) I just like the feeling of wearing it down and I feel prettier. I like to feel pretty

Ligeia Noire
October 16th, 2018, 03:59 PM

Hey it becomes even more interesting. If you catch my drift. Especially in a long braid. ;)

Dark40
October 16th, 2018, 04:01 PM
That is a good question HairFason! Since I've been a member here at the LHC I often wondered why the members here always wore their beautiful long hair up all of the time. I wear my up the majority of the time but everyday my hair is loose, and it doesn't get damaged. I always protect it from damage by keeping it well-moisturized.

desisparkles
October 16th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I had hair to my hips then cut it to a pixie 2 years ago because I always wore my hair in buns. I thought, I never wear it down, I may as well cut it so it forces me to style it. Uh now I want it long again and after finding this group I see why it grew so long without me doing anything "special". Funny but it's ok. I enjoyed the short hair for 2 years and now am off to see how far I'll go.

Dark40
October 16th, 2018, 04:23 PM
That's something I don't understand either, and I don't mean any offense to anybody. Buns and some protective hairstyles are really nice but I don't think wearing it down once in a while does so much harm or it's so damaging. I mean, personally, I don't want tailbone length hair to just put it always in a bun. But it's just my personal opinion!
I like long hair because it has more options, tho. Wear it down, braids, buns... I also like to vary, but I prefer it down

I'm with you on that note! I don't understand what's wrong with wearing your beautiful long hair down either every once in a while either. I also always prefer it down too, and like the saying goes, "It's not good to wear your hair in the same style all of the time anyways." Especially, in an updo. They always tell you to switch where you put your buns and ponytails. Like, putting your ponytail off to the side from putting it straight in the middle. Because, if you don't switch your updo styles it will cause breakage, damage, or friction on your hair.

spidermom
October 16th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Hair down all the time can be hazardous. A woman I know got her hair caught on some machinery and was basically scalped. She can't grow hair above her ears to this day.
The worst I've had was a few hairs, as many as 8-10, get caught on the seatbelt mechanism or in the hinge of a cabinet door, then yanked out. It's safe and secure when I put it up, plus it's not ticking my skin, in my face, or hot on my neck. As many have said, the best alternative would be a super-short pixie, and that takes too much maintenance.

P.S: And I do enjoy wearing it down from time to time, when it's not too hot, and I have time to watch out for it. Even when it was down to the bottom of my bottom/top of my legs, I could wear it down every once in awhile. I kind of liked having my secret, though. Most people had no idea how long my hair was.

blackgothicdoll
October 16th, 2018, 04:34 PM
I have (and have almost always had) very short hair, so I can see your perspective. I always dreamed of having long hair, wearing it down all the time, and that was pretty much it. At that time, I also wore my hair straight (I have type 3/4, so wearing down = wearing straight for me) and could not retain any length. I would blow out and flat iron it every other week, and had (and still do have) horrible heat damage, constantly had to trim/cut and could never get my hair past a certain length.

Taking my hair journey seriously meant no more wearing my hair out. Protective styling truly is the best way to grow out hair, as I retain the best length in bunning. I think it works both ways for me. I'm insecure about my hair being shorter than I want it to be, so hiding it in a bun stops me from looking at it. I also know that I'll be able to grow so much more hair and that bunning is only temporary. I realize that when I grow my goal length, there is absolutely no way I'll be able to wear it 'out' all of the time. I took me 3-4 hours to straighten my hair when it was between SL and APL - it's just not happening with TBL hair. And I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm growing my hair out for me, really, not for anyone else. I know every now and then I'll wear it out, but if I grow it long enough, I can do a long braid, or other very classy looks, and still enjoy it that way. I think that's actually my dream style.

Of course, not everyone has the same problem as myself, but I can totally relate to protecting the hair and the excitement of a reveal. :)

HaMalka
October 16th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I think that buns look pretty. They also let me wear pretty hair toys. I liked having my hair down on an everyday basis until around waist or hip, and down for special occasions until finger tip length when It became far to much hassle to wear down for anything but the most special occasions when I would wear an updo for formalities sake anyways.
Also I know my hair is long and pretty and I can always take it down and look at it if I want to see it. My length also makes it possible for me to do some fairly intricate styles withut using extensions.

Dark40
October 16th, 2018, 04:48 PM
That's true that it can get caught into things like doors, cabinets, seatbelt mechanism, and machinery. That's why if I have a job or something I would always wear it up but when at home I would wear it down all of the time at no matter what length. I had a girlfriend that used to have ankle length hair, and she wore it down every Sunday I saw her at church! And, she never had any issues with it. Now, I'm sure she sat on it all of the time but other than that it was always gorgeous!!! And, she used chemicals on it! A relaxer and color, and her hair never appeared damaged or anything. She had ankle length hair for 10 years or up until the time she graduated from high school, and then she cut it all of the way up to her hips. Then, she went through the big chop, and cut it all of the way up to SL. She hasn't had ankle length hair since 1988.

Chromis
October 16th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Why do people always assume that people who prefer to wear their hair up are trying to "hide" it?!

:rant::slap::steam

neko_kawaii
October 16th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Why do people always assume that people who prefer to wear their hair up are trying to "hide" it?!

Why assume that beauty plays any roll?

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 05:55 PM
The main reason I wear my hair up or in a braid (not very much at all anymore, mostly up these days) when I leave the house is because I don't want to have to brush my hair every once in a while when I'm out, and to have to carry a hairbrush with me in the first place. The wind is not my friend when my hair is down. Sure, it's to protect the ends as well, but my ends actually tend to get dry-feeling from being worn up a whole day, so I'm not sure if it's working so well for me in that sense.

I wear my hair loose most of the time when I'm at home and also when I sleep. It's all for comfort reasons. So yeah, the way I wear my hair has next to nothing to do with anyone other than me and my convenience. I will, however, wear it down for so called special occasions (whatever that may mean to me) if I feel like that goes best with my overall look.

Crystawni
October 16th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I'd melt. It's too hot all year round to wear my hair down, or in a pixie or anything shorter than what can be put up.

I like hairtoys and swirly updos. Having my hair up does not = hiding it. :p

My hair has many moods, so I play to them instead of fighting it.

It's too fine for it to be loose all the time. Knots, matts, catching in stuff--it's a web of intrigue, gotta say..!

I'm a no-fuss person, so hair up = easy peasy.

I don't like hair dragging in everything, or too in my face (although I do have soft face-framers that give off that romantic vibe).

MoonRabbit
October 16th, 2018, 06:10 PM
For me, after hip it became very impractical to wear it down a lot. I still do when i'm going out but it grabs on everything like just this past date night, it got stuck in the seat belt, stuck on my purse, tangled on a store display and my partner kept leaning on it at the theatre. All of that happened in a few hours. By the time I got home I was more than happy to get it up and out of the way.

I don't think I could handle long hair without having the option of putting it up most days than not.

cheeky
October 16th, 2018, 10:30 PM

I only ever knew elderly women and religious people with extremely long hair. I thought they tucked it away because wearing it out in public would be unseemly. Museums (art and history), religious studies and media (westerns, colonial, victorian and basically any period piece or film) reinforced the notion that long hair was not meant for public consumption.

Some of us have this western puritanical cultural bias ingrained.

Unless you're online actively researching how to grow long hair or you know someone to directly ask why their hair is always up, it just appears the person is hiding their hair.

Chromis
October 16th, 2018, 11:17 PM
I only ever knew elderly women and religious people with extremely long hair. I thought they tucked it away because wearing it out in public would be unseemly. Museums (art and history), religious studies and media (westerns, colonial, victorian and basically any period piece or film) reinforced the notion that long hair was not meant for public consumption.

Some of us have this western puritanical cultural bias ingrained.

Unless you're online actively researching how to grow long hair or you know someone to directly ask why their hair is always up, it just appears the person is hiding their hair.

I don't give a hoot if people see my hair. That's about up there with flashing my ankles.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 16th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Honestly once your hair gets to a certain length, wearing it down is more inconvenient than "fun"
I like knowing the hair on my head is mine, being able to choose if i put it up or down, do whatever i want with my look.
I wear it up to keep it out of the way but i also like short hair too. haha.

shouldnt be a big deal....

AutobotsAttack
October 17th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I think people forget that In order to maintain long hair you have to protect it to some extent. Yea it’s nice to have it out, but hair is Not indestructible and eventually the elements can effect how much of your hair stays on your head. Not to mention, I’m genuinely curious what notion of long hair means it has to be seen? That logically makes no sense to me, and makes sense in a more societal/emotional way. Which as we all know, many members couldn’t give two blue painted You-know-what’s, about what other people think or feel.

Stray_mind
October 17th, 2018, 12:28 AM
I actually am growing my hair for the sole reason to put it up in beautiful buns and braids with beutiful hair toys in them. :shrug:

I don't care for keeping my hair loose wether it's long or short.

Suortuva
October 17th, 2018, 12:40 AM
I actually am growing my hair for the sole reason to put it up in beautiful buns and braids with beutiful hair toys in them. :shrug:

Yeah, same here. I really wanna do updos I can't with short hair, so this is my main reason to grow my hair. And updos can be very visible too.

paulownia
October 17th, 2018, 12:42 AM
Nobody says it's hidden. And always.
I want long hair because it's pretty. I don't think I should ever be thinking ''I have to put it up all the time otherwise it will get damaged. If I want it down it will be down.
I think that we are having here opinions from two extremes:D. It's either '' it has to be up all the time'' or '' I want it down all the time'' Why not settle somehere in between?;)

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 12:45 AM
Why assume that beauty plays any roll?

This is certainly such an important factor. If someone isn't growing it out to have visible/loose, long, beautiful hair, then why would they bother wearing it loose to display it? It's like how people think someone wearing makeup must wear it for the sake of beauty.

illicitlizard
October 17th, 2018, 12:56 AM
I think people forget that In order to maintain long hair you have to protect it to some extent. Yea it’s nice to have it out, but hair is Not indestructible and eventually the elements can effect how much of your hair stays on your head. Not to mention, I’m genuinely curious what notion of long hair means it has to be seen? That logically makes no sense to me, and makes sense in a more societal/emotional way. Which as we all know, many members couldn’t give two blue painted You-know-what’s, about what other people think or feel.

^^ Definitely this. I completely understand why you'd want hair down all the time, but it's impractical and will cause damage making super long growth impossible. In the end it seems to depend on one's goals.

Nobody says it's hidden. And always.
I want long hair because it's pretty. I don't think I should ever be thinking ''I have to put it up all the time otherwise it will get damaged. If I want it down it will be down.
I think that we are having here opinions from two extremes:D. It's either '' it has to be up all the time'' or '' I want it down all the time'' Why not settle somehere in between?;)

I think sitting between the two extremes is probably where most people fall. Like when you want it up it's up but sometimes you've got to let your hair down and not be so protective/obsessive over it. However, this kind of question is likely to get more responses from those who feel strongly either way (always up, always down) which is probably why those extremes are well represented in this thread.

I personally think it doesn't matter whether your hair is 'hidden' or up all the time, if that's what makes you happy! People who enjoy their long hair by wearing it up all the time should do that, those who prefer loose hair should wear their hair loose. It's not up to either party to dictate what others do with their hair.

This is certainly such an important factor. If someone isn't growing it out to have visible/loose, long, beautiful hair, then why would they bother wearing it loose to display it? It's like how people think someone wearing makeup must wear it for the sake of beauty.

I also reckon this is a pretty good point. What motivates someone to have long hair will likely influence what they want to do with it. Either way, what matters is that it's not a burden to the person with the long hair. Other than that it's free reign over what one does with their hair.

ArabellaRose
October 17th, 2018, 12:59 AM
A very good point has been raised here, why is it that wearing it up is seen as "hiding" the hair? It isn't really, is it? It's not like if someone who wears their hair up all the time in beautiful buns and braids, with beautiful hair toys, will take their hair down and someone will be like "holy poop, I thought you were bold". It's still displaying your hair in a sense, your hair is still beautiful.

How is this even up for debate anyway? Let people do what they want with their hair, whether it's wearing it down (like I do most of the time), wearing it up, cowashing, using cones and sulfates, heck, even using baking soda ( :D ).

Hexen
October 17th, 2018, 01:20 AM
Maybe in some ways like a variety of hobbies and other crafts, hair buns and updo's are ones choice to practice, learn, and utilize. Perhaps its just fun for someone. And with said practice comes a skill, and enjoyment thereof, that can be seen within the intricate and even psychedelic patterns of a well twisted bun. So...smoke em if ya got em! :thumbsup:

Milady_DeWinter
October 17th, 2018, 01:25 AM
A while after I started growing out post-2016 disaster (bleach, which made me cut at BSL after having my hair WL up to BCL for years) I found the LHC. And yep, at first the LHC just looked as something "not for me", as everybody here insisted in wearing the hair up and, well, I never ever liked my hair up! Not even in a ponytail. It made me so self conscious, as I always preferred to "hide" myself with my hair. Then, slowly, I started learning buns out of curiosity. I learned about styles and hairtoys. I saw tons of beautiful pics of hair. And, before I could tell, I was wearing my hair up 5 or 6 days a week! What I'm still doing.

I still prefer my hair down, but having it out of the way is great for the everyday; I'm also growing out bleach and damage, so I need to be extra careful. Someone here compared it to your fav dress: you don't wear it EVERY day! Also, I've discovered that the me with the hair up doesn't look as awful as I thought! My friends enjoy my styles, and I've even inspired a couple to wear the hair bunned with sticks. And my bf really like it as he says that it's very elegant, and also enjoys that I bun or braid my hair to sleep (no more hair in his eyes lol). Also, it let me control the shed more, so there's less hairs at random places at home (my bf compared it to live with an Alaska Malamute).

To sum up: I've learned to see the beauty of wearing the hair up, not just its convenience. Now I want to grow up to classic (by now...) so I'll can make more buns!

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 01:28 AM
A very good point has been raised here, why is it that wearing it up is seen as "hiding" the hair? It isn't really, is it? It's not like if someone who wears their hair up all the time in beautiful buns and braids, with beautiful hair toys, will take their hair down and someone will be like "holy poop, I thought you were bold". It's still displaying your hair in a sense, your hair is still beautiful.

How is this even up for debate anyway? Let people do what they want with their hair, whether it's wearing it down (like I do most of the time), wearing it up, cowashing, using cones and sulfates, heck, even using baking soda ( :D ).

I think the OP wasn't really after a debate, but rather about answering genuine curiosity. From their point of view, it doesn't (or didn't) make sense. Hopefully now it does.

But yeah, wearing it up isn't really hiding it for some people. My buns are puny so I don't think anyone would realise how long my hair is but for some LHCers, it's pretty obvious their hair has to be substantially long even when it is bunned.

A while after I started growing out post-2016 disaster (bleach, which made me cut at BSL after having my hair WL up to BCL for years) I found the LHC. And yep, at first the LHC just looked as something "not for me", as everybody here insisted in wearing the hair up and, well, I never ever liked my hair up! Not even in a ponytail. It made me so self conscious, as I always preferred to "hide" myself with my hair. Then, slowly, I started learning buns out of curiosity. I learned about styles and hairtoys. I saw tons of beautiful pics of hair. And, before I could tell, I was wearing my hair up 5 or 6 days a week! What I'm still doing.

I still prefer my hair down, but having it out of the way is great for the everyday; I'm also growing out bleach and damage, so I need to be extra careful. Someone here compared it to your fav dress: you don't wear it EVERY day! Also, I've discovered that the me with the hair up doesn't look as awful as I thought! My friends enjoy my styles, and I've even inspired a couple to wear the hair bunned with sticks. And my bf really like it as he says that it's very elegant, and also enjoys that I bun or braid my hair to sleep (no more hair in his eyes lol). Also, it let me control the shed more, so there's less hairs at random places at home (my bf compared it to live with an Alaska Malamute).

To sum up: I've learned to see the beauty of wearing the hair up, not just its convenience. Now I want to grow up to classic (by now...) so I'll can make more buns!

xD

Between myself, and my partner (hip+ ii hair, and mid-back ii/iii hair) we could probably make a husky.

leayellena
October 17th, 2018, 01:37 AM
because I don't have to join another trend. and because I was told that my roots won't sustain hair past bob length. lol how brain washed can u be to actually believe this...? and because I don't have to wash my hair every day because "it looks weighed down". and because my hair looks good when up and when down and I chose what I do with my hair and my body overall.
stop following trends and stop thinking for yourself. it's ok to love pixies and keep it short or keep it at mid-back because u want to wear it more down than up. or it's ok to let it grow, protect it and see how long it grows (calf? floor?) ;) but it's not ok to tell others what to do with their bodies, with their life in general. btw: I have the feeling that's what trends do: they actually tell us what to do, what to wear, etc. ;) just don't have personality, no. buy and trash it for another trend. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 17th, 2018, 01:47 AM
My sister once asked me why I don't cut my hair short, since I wear it up all the time. My reply was that if I cut it short I wouldn't be able to do beautiful buns and updos, and nor would I be able to have long lovely hair with a flick of the wrist and the removal of a hair stick....

In any case, I get to enjoy my length every day when I am detangling it...I also feel that it is protected when it's up, as there are cases of people in the street having their long hair forcibly cut off from time to time and the hair is then presumably sold to make extensions. If my hair is worn up that is less likely to happen.

On the other hand if I want to "wow" people I will wear it loose. Happens once every second or third blue moon, lol.

Rosetta
October 17th, 2018, 01:48 AM
FWIW, I totally agree with the sentiment in OP, though I know I differ in this from the majority here (although definitely not IRL).

Joules
October 17th, 2018, 02:29 AM

This!

When I was in middle school I couldn't imagine wearing my hair up. Whenever I put it up in a ponytail I instantly felt like my huge forehead and chubby cheeks were on display and everyone was staring at them. I was able to comfortably wear my hair up only after I had blunt bangs cut in at the age of 15. It took me another 6 years to get over my forehead complex and decide to grow out the bangs. So yeah, sometimes people hide behind their hair. Not to mention tons of articles online about what haircut to get if you have big nose or square face or whatever else the beauty industry deemed imperfect.

Longlegs
October 17th, 2018, 03:02 AM
Well it seems you've stirred up alot of people with your question. For me it often depends on the weather. I wear it up more in the summer when it's hot, or humid. I think I wear it down alot though, I like people to see it. :D

enting
October 17th, 2018, 03:34 AM
I don't give a hoot if people see my hair. That's about up there with flashing my ankles.

Why you shameless hussy! :D

Buns often show that there's a lot of hair in there, anyway. Even with a scarf wrapping one can often notice if someone has a lot of hair under there or not. Hiding would be more of using one of those twistie hair tie things to make it seem like one has a pageboy haircut.

YvetteVarie
October 17th, 2018, 03:35 AM
I don't wear my hair down because I'm lazy and my son pulls out my hair. So keeping it up is the best thing to do, and its helping a lot in growing out my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 17th, 2018, 03:38 AM
Another point: Why is hair hidden if it's bunned? It's still in plain view. Surely hiding the hair would be wearing a head covering, or a beanie, or some such thing, not just a bun. The hair is still visible in a bun. How is that hiding it? Or wearing it braided, is that hiding it too?

Aerya
October 17th, 2018, 04:51 AM
My hair hasn't been long by LHC-standards but I mostly wore it up anyway. When outside the wind would cause tangles and breakage, and indoors at work my hair would just get caught on everything or get in my face if left loose. Cutting it short to combat this would mean a pixie, and that's a completely different look from long hair in a bun. More so, it takes more maintenance and styling to look good (at least in my hair) than long hair.

I also second the idea that hair is a body part, not fancy jewelery. Last year I got really into working out and building muscle, especially my legs and butt as I've always been a bit of a skinny kid. I spent ages researching how to maximize my efforts and sacrificed my blood, sweat and time to get what I wanted. However, once I started seeing result, did I start showing off my body? No. I enjoyed seeing the results for myself, to see my hard work paying off. If anyone noticed and commented I would take the compliment but that wasn't a driving factor at all. Likewise with hair, I am now growing it out for myself. I will wear it down when convenient but most importantly when I want to. Other than that I will wear it up and that won't be to hide it in any way, just like I did not hide my quads by wearing pants.

Astia
October 17th, 2018, 04:59 AM
For me, I always did ponytails because I never knew better, and no one in my family knows how to do any hairstyles and use anything except curling wand and blow dryer. This site has been a blessing, because it enabled me to learn lots of buns, braids, etc. by myself without excessive use of bobby pins or heat. Some days I can't stand even one hair across my face so buns are a lifesaver. Also loose hair is a health hazard at work, not to mention all the damage that would inevitably happen. Maybe some buns don't bring out my most flattering features, but I can live with that.

Another thing is the structure of my hair, which tangles the moment you look at it while detangling, that is not fun. I could wear it loose, of course, but it would be either frizzy, if not styled as it should be at 2's or a matted mess - not a good look. With updos it's good hair day every day, even if some buns don't work all the time.

The most recent discovery was that I don't like people watching or handling my loose hair, I just feel too self-conscious. Last week my roommate told me she wished she could chop at least 30 cm off b/c it would make her feel good - so not encouraging when you just reached tailbone and it made me feel paranoid. My male friends just have this weird look when i need to re-do a bun and I came to conclusion that I just want to enjoy my hair for myself, either when brushing or wearing it loose. Maybe for some special occasion, slathered in a silicone serum, why not but certainly not every day.

Not to mention the hygiene in public transportation with loose hair and then sleeping on it/ it touching my skin knowing how many people it brushed against, what strange stuff it caught ... ew. And it's not like in a bun it's hidden, it's in plain sight but most people are used to this huge sock buns that are basically air as compared to LHC buns consisting of only pressed hair held by a hairtoy, so it's a surprise when so much hair is in a small bun.

Zesty
October 17th, 2018, 05:56 AM

Milady I am so surprised to read that you felt that way. In my mind you are SO suited to updos, I think it shows off your bone structure and neck in a very becoming way. I hope that doesn't come across as weird. :p I just wanted to say so in case there's any remaining insecurity!

alimc
October 17th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Great question, it examplifies perfectly how us hoomans are all so different!

For me, at just around bra strap length (not long YET but getting there!), in oh-so-windy Scotland, id love to wear mine down more often but the wind just turns it into a mess of knots. And untangling them means loads of damage!

So if the weather is calm it’s down, if its blowin a hoolie its up or braided...

Milady_DeWinter
October 17th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Milady I am so surprised to read that you felt that way. In my mind you are SO suited to updos, I think it shows off your bone structure and neck in a very becoming way. I hope that doesn't come across as weird. :p I just wanted to say so in case there's any remaining insecurity!

Aw Zesty, thank you lots! Well, hoomans love to feel bad for any real or imaginary flaws, you know. In my case, imaginary or real, I've got a thin oval face that looks more narrow in updos, and i also have asimmetrical features (unlevel eyes, both nose and jaw broken because an "accident" long ago, etc). I'm quite over it now that I'm 30+, and i know that I'm the one that see them as bad, but insecurities still remains even when I ignore them. My thick waves always draw attention, so not having them around my face makes me feel naked. When my bf told me that he actually likes my hair better in fancy updos, or even better in braids (that's his weak point lol), helped me a lot to get over it. I can tell that I had never wore my hair up in public before finding the LHC... Just braided ponytails, and only to go running or at the gym! So, I'm very grateful for your words :)

Aerya
October 17th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Aw Zesty, thank you lots! Well, hoomans love to feel bad for any real or imaginary flaws, you know. In my case, imaginary or real, I've got a thin oval face that looks more narrow in updos, and i also have asimmetrical features (unlevel eyes, both nose and jaw broken because an "accident" long ago, etc). I'm quite over it now that I'm 30+, and i know that I'm the one that see them as bad, but insecurities still remains even when I ignore them. My thick waves always draw attention, so not having them around my face makes me feel naked. When my bf told me that he actually likes my hair better in fancy updos, or even better in braids (that's his weak point lol), helped me a lot to get over it. I can tell that I had never wore my hair up in public before finding the LHC... Just braided ponytails, and only to go running or at the gym! So, I'm very grateful for your words :)

Thank you for sharing this! I'm sorry you have felt that way but as someone who has her share of insecurities it is comforting to read. I never would have thought you to be insecure about your looks. You are very beautiful and I agree with Zesty, your bone structure is perfect for updos!

MusicalSpoons
October 17th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Hi there!
I'm a frequent lurker, but I don't post much.

My question is this; I see all these posts about how you have to wear your hair up to protect it so it can grow... what is the point of having long beautiful hair if it is up all the time, or under a scarf or whatever and hidden?

I want long beautiful hair that I can see everyday. Its like working really really hard and buying a really fancy car that only sits in the garage, or a stunning piece of jewelry that only sits in the safe....

Is it just the idea of having it? I'm not talking about those with religious/cultural reasons for hair/head covering, just everyone else who seems to hide their gorgeous hair for the pleasure of combing it out at home? I don't understand...

I think this has been answered pretty comprehensively, but I feel like replying with: ... why not?

People can train for years to have beautiful singing voices, but they don't use it all the time - it would be absurd to do so, and they'd end up damaging their voice with overuse. Likewise with long hair, for me it's an absurd idea to wear it down in daily life, for so many reasons. (Even before LHC, I chose to wear my hair tied back rather than loose - it wasn't protected but it was less 'in the way' than wearing it loose.) Now I appreciate my hair more, and I want to protect it so that it's at the best it can be for the rare occasions I do decide to wear it not in a bun :) And it's quite nice knowing it's there, kinda like my little 'secret' that I can choose when and with whom to share - in the same way that you get to choose what other parts of your life you share and with whom. Even for those outside my immediate family who do know I have long hair, it's still special because they see it so rarely. In fact most of those are work colleagues and only see it on the rare occasion I have to rebun and had nowhere private to do so :grin:

There are people here who wear their hair not in a bun, and I admire that they are able to do so without it getting too much in the way, and that their hair can take it. But for me, bunning is the foremost way I can take care of my hair, and that suits me, my lifestyle and priorities just fine!

ETA: I do understand how this question arises, and thank you OP for asking it respectfully and demonstrating you are genuinely curious to see things from a different perspective :D

Milady_DeWinter
October 17th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Thank you for sharing this! I'm sorry you have felt that way but as someone who has her share of insecurities it is comforting to read. I never would have thought you to be insecure about your looks. You are very beautiful and I agree with Zesty, your bone structure is perfect for updos!

Thank you so much girls! You are going to make me blush :3 I'm quite touched for your comments. I guess we all have our dose of insecurities... Mines are quite real. For example, when I first met my bf (in a comic fair, he being a well known artist that came to sign in the stand I was working in - later I'll know that he asked to sign there instead or on a platform to chat with me lol-) we talked in a break, and in one of those awkward silences I barked "why are you staring at me so oddly". In a biiiiit aggressive way. Because he was looking at me so intensely that I thought I looked horrible in some way (and then I was wearing my hair loose lol). Of course he ran away :lol: We both lose some precious weeks there! And all because I thought that it was impossible that such a handsome guy could look at me for any reason but beacuse I was a freak :shrug:

I'm happy that it sounds comforting to read! We all need to get rid of those insecurities and learn to love ourselves, with the hair up or down :blossom:

Vacurlylady
October 17th, 2018, 08:19 AM
This has been an interesting read. I’m a former pixie cut gal. I’ve kept my hair ultra short for most of my life. I could not handle going more than 4 weeks without a cut. I was able to keep it colored and the same style easily. My hairdresser is a good friend... it was easy. And I didn’t mind the amount of time or money that it required for the upkeep.

I’ve secretly always been a long hair wanna be. It is basically to be able to do the up do’s and different styles. I now realize how much I spent on my hair cuts and colors. I have a long way to go to be even able to reach up do length. And I am concerned that I may not even be able to do them. 😱 I NEVER HAD LONG HAIR! I love LHC! I cannot wait to get into hair toy purchasing mode. It’s been a little over a year growing!

lapushka
October 17th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Yes, down and up is equal IMO!

Besides, hair down at those lengths... it gets in the way of things. I don't like long hair hanging in my way.

lapushka
October 17th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Thank you so much girls! You are going to make me blush :3 I'm quite touched for your comments. I guess we all have out dose of insecurities... Mines are quite real. For example, when I first met my bf (in a comic fair, he being a well known artist that came to sign in the stand I was working in - later I'll know that he asked to sign there instead or on a platform to chat with me lol-) we talked in a break, and in one of those awkward silences I barked "why are you staring at me so oddly". In a biiiiit aggressive way. Because he was looking at me so intensely that I thought I looked horrible in any way (and then I was wearing my hair loose lol). Of course he ran away :lol: We both lose some precious weeks there! And all because I thought that it was impossible that such handsome guy could look at me for any reason but beacuse I was a freak :shrug:

I'm happy that it sounds comforting to read! We all need to get rid of those insecurities and learn to love ourselves, with the hair up or down :blossom:

I agree with everyone else. You look stunning with your hair up. I've never seen you front or side with hair down, but up, yes, and I love the way you look with it; really suits you!

Sid0rela
October 17th, 2018, 09:07 AM
I think people forget that In order to maintain long hair you have to protect it to some extent. Yea it’s nice to have it out, but hair is Not indestructible and eventually the elements can effect how much of your hair stays on your head.

i couldnt agree more

Groovy Granny
October 17th, 2018, 09:43 AM
When I first joined LHC my goal was LONG and I didn't envision myself in many buns because of a sensitive scalp.
But now that the length goal has been met I have discovered comfy options for when I do wear it up.

I am all about protection...it is a must for me with fine wispies....but I also love wearing it down.

So I wear it down in cooler seasons..... and up in hot weather or when protection is needed (wind/hats/sleep etc)

Ponytails are included because I love to feel the length on my back.

Being OLDER I questioned wearing it down....if it was appropriate.....then I just ignored the voice in my head :lala: and wear it as *I* like to wear it regardless of others opinions :wigtongue

ETA: 2 additional posts served as reminders for me
1) I AM NOT HERE TO DECORATE YOUR WORLD :p
2) HYGIENE: being aware of WHAT your hair is touching :tmi: I will put it up when on public seating etc

Chromis
October 17th, 2018, 11:04 AM
So I feel like there is some lose-lose dichotomy.

If we wear it up, we are "hiding" it.
If we wear it down, we are "hiding behind" it.

What :bull:

Joules
October 17th, 2018, 11:05 AM
So I feel like there is some lose-lose dichotomy.

If we wear it up, we are "hiding" it.
If we wear it down, we are "hiding behind" it.

What :bull:

basically the only true way to be is to shave your head :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Chromis
October 17th, 2018, 11:10 AM
basically the only true way to be is to shave your head :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Then people think you have cancer....or make weird assumptions about your love life. Or both! Short hair from growing out the shaved head resulted in a *lot* of assumptions about my love life.

neko_kawaii
October 17th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Or the solution is to check your own assumptions about the choices other people make with regard to their bodies.

Chromis
October 17th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Or the solution is to check your own assumptions about the choices other people make with regard to their bodies.

I think the answer actually is that other people need to stop mouthing off at everyone and blathering their assumptions at us.

I mean, yes I did actually have cancer, but man was it annoying having people walk up multiple times a day to ask me if I did when my head was still fuzzy. Perfect strangers! And then more of them while it was still short to ask if I was straight. Why?!??!?! Why do you even care and what does it matter to you random stranger? I can apply this to a wide variety of non-hair unwanted appearance comments really, especially the ones given in very noncomplimentary tones. Sure I can control how I react to them, but seriously, it makes me grumpy that I even have to. (I've tried ignoring completely, people then ask louder and more aggressively, men in particular get mad when I don't want to tell them why I am not smiling or why don't I take my glasses off or whatever.)

neko_kawaii
October 17th, 2018, 02:05 PM
I think the answer actually is that other people need to stop mouthing off at everyone and blathering their assumptions at us.

You as in collective, everyone in regards to everyone else.

daisy rei
October 17th, 2018, 02:55 PM
My answer to the question would be because I’m lazy! :p

I don’t have the money/time to go to a salon and I don’t care enough about appearances to cut or style it myself. So buns it is. As everyone else has mentioned, long hair *can* be super low maintence, compared to maintaining a shorter style.

Sure, I might as well just shave my head but it’s more interesting to see how long it can get. And there’s always variety with different buns and toys.

But yeah, growing hair long doesn’t have to coincide with aesthetics or spiritual reasons. Sometimes it’s just long hair.

TwilightMermaid
October 17th, 2018, 04:53 PM
For me, when I had long hair it was all about having it down! But about twice a week I liked to do intricate hairdos which was a balance of both, which is why I'm growing!

Crystawni
October 17th, 2018, 04:59 PM
This all kinda harks back to, "I'm not here to decorate your world".

Personally, I don't think long hair is hidden when in updos. It's just "up". It's still there, and long, but just styled in an alternative way (where there are many alternatives, so "always" doesn't even fit here).

As for why? Because I can.

littlestarface
October 17th, 2018, 05:08 PM
I don't know man I mean I grew up with always having long hair majority of my family did too and everyone just put it up to not be in the way and not to get damaged. Its just second nature, nothing sinister, no playing hiding or seeking, no games, no i'll save it for later viewing thing, no I don't decorate yours or her worlds. We just do it cuz its convenient and god invented many pretty things to put hair up in.

trolleypup
October 17th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Up for convenience, up to avoid damage, down for me, down for show, down for drying, up for not washing it in the shower. Whatever pleases me at the time.

No apparent limit at calf (both)...I expect it is like dealing with hair in general, you adapt and adjust.

Arciela
October 17th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I wear mine down often, and up as well. It depends how I feel..if I feel too hot, up it goes. But if its decent outside or in my house I'll wear it down.

For modeling I have to wear it up a lot or even in wigs. It doesnt bother me either way :)

shaluwm_agape
October 17th, 2018, 11:52 PM
I feel like so many people ask this question and it's totally fine that they do but, it's my hair & when they ask it's almost like they actually want to see it. When I say my hair isn't for them or that I just don't feel like it they get offended. More often than not people comment negatively abut long hair. At least in my case. I am very cautious of compliments

paulownia
October 18th, 2018, 01:09 AM
This has been an interesting read. I’m a former pixie cut gal. I’ve kept my hair ultra short for most of my life. I could not handle going more than 4 weeks without a cut. I was able to keep it colored and the same style easily. My hairdresser is a good friend... it was easy. And I didn’t mind the amount of time or money that it required for the upkeep.

I’ve secretly always been a long hair wanna be. It is basically to be able to do the up do’s and different styles. I now realize how much I spent on my hair cuts and colors. I have a long way to go to be even able to reach up do length. And I am concerned that I may not even be able to do them. 😱 I NEVER HAD LONG HAIR! I love LHC! I cannot wait to get into hair toy purchasing mode. It’s been a little over a year growing!
I know how it feels:D I never had long hair either (OK, once to APL but that is not that long:p)
But basically short, around the shoulders, for most of my life.
Don't worry, we will get there. Learning new updos will be fun:). Happy growing.

This all kinda harks back to, "I'm not here to decorate your world".
(...)
As for why? Because I can.
''Don't tell me what to do and I won't tell you where to go'':D
I found this one here on LHC.
It still amazes me how people think they have right to dictate the others what they should do with their hair, bodies and life.

Alibran
October 18th, 2018, 04:20 AM
My main reason for wanting to have long hair is because I get bored and want to change it. Wearing it down all the time would be just as boring as having a pixie.

Carolyn
October 18th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I admit that in 8th grade when I was allowed control over my hair, that I wanted it long because I thought it would attract boys. Somewhere along the line I realized how much I love it long and I also realized it wasn't the attractor I thought it would be. So all my adult life it's been at least collar bone length (just twice) or much longer. Because I love it.. It makes me feel good. It's fun to take care of and I can do all sorts of styles. I can buy hair toys to put it up. I don't often wear it down outside of my house. It's windy here so I have to be careful not to let the wind tie it in knots. I love trying new products and searching out new hair toys. It's just fun. It's for ME ME ME. I don't need anyone to admire it or be involved with it in any way. I'm all about making me happy and feel good.

xoAshley
October 18th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Because I love it.. It makes me feel good. It's fun to take care of and I can do all sorts of styles. I can buy hair toys to put it up. I don't often wear it down outside of my house. It's windy here so I have to be careful not to let the wind tie it in knots. I love trying new products and searching out new hair toys. It's just fun. It's for ME ME ME. I don't need anyone to admire it or be involved with it in any way. I'm all about making me happy and feel good.

Thissssssss :toast:

Eastbound&Down
October 18th, 2018, 11:36 AM
For me, having it up is mandatory while at work, and when I'm working out, or cooking/cleaning/taking care of my kids, it is easier to have it up and out of the way. Most of the time that means a simple cinnabun or ponytail. I enjoy wearing it down for nights out, and it being longer is much easier for me to manage than with it short.

Hairkay
October 18th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Mine is only hidden on the coldest winter days under hats when I am outside. Other times it's in view, mostly in plaited updos. My hair is dry and it has taken me many years to work out a conditioning treatment within my allergy limits. That and putting my hair up most of the week has stopped my hair breaking off and remaining stuck at bsl. I grew up in the tropics where it is so hot that it can get uncomfortable having loose long hair. It's common to have hair tied back and or plaited. Usually I don't feel hair hanging at the back of my neck because of how I plait/braid it. I love plaits and it is a joy to have them. My hair is to keep me cosy in winter now that I am in a temperate zone and also to enjoy plaiting. It is for me after all it is on my own head. I had assumed that my kinky, curly hair couldn't grow longer since it was the same for ages. I was pleasantly surprised that just a change in styling and a weekly conditioner made hair longer.

Henrietta
October 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Not all of us wear hair up (only) in order to protect it. Not all of us have some debate or regrets, like "I would like to wear it down but I have to wear it up, because there are more arguments for this option." Some of us have few arguments for wearing it down, so there's no regret in wearing it up. It's not an inhibiting, sad necessity. It's just... OK. Or even great, because it's comfortable and convenient. There are other arguments than protection.

And, just to add one more number to all the voices above, for me it's about knowing, not seeing. I don't have to see my hair all day long to enjoy it. It's enough that I know it's there. I can wear it down at home or to special occasions if I want to, to enjoy it in a different way.
And the fact that friends and strangers would see my long hair would change nothing, there is no value for me in showing it. I've been asked, multiple times, why do I have long hair if no one ever sees it, which is a different matter still (the OP refers to people seeing their own hair), so that's where this statement comes from.

WyntreBlossom
October 18th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Mine is more a "me" thing. I wear my hair down when it is wet, or when the temperature of the location am I at, be it indoor or outdoor, is cool enough that my hair won't make me feel like I am being suffocated in a sauna. I stay very warm, and keeping the hair up let's me stay cool, but know that at any time I can let it down, feel the swooshing, feel it on my back and that alone makes me happy. Makes for beautiful pictures, and also a fun treat for family get togethers when I decide to get fancy and wear in a half up/down or down.

shaluwm_agape
October 18th, 2018, 01:37 PM
And, just to add one more number to all the voices above, for me it's about knowing, not seeing. I don't have to see my hair all day long to enjoy it. It's enough that I know it's there. I can wear it down at home or to special occasions if I want to, to enjoy it in a different way.
And the fact that friends and strangers would see my long hair would change nothing, there is no value for me in showing it. I've been asked, multiple times, why do I have long hair if no one ever sees it, which is a different matter still (the OP refers to people seeing their own hair), so that's where this statement comes from.
Well said :o)

HairFanson
October 19th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Not to mention the hygiene in public transportation with loose hair and then sleeping on it/ it touching my skin knowing how many people it brushed against, what strange stuff it caught ... ew. And it's not like in a bun it's hidden, it's in plain sight but most people are used to this huge sock buns that are basically air as compared to LHC buns consisting of only pressed hair held by a hairtoy, so it's a surprise when so much hair is in a small bun.

Ick! I didn't even think about that. I live in a mountain town where the only public transpo is on the university campus, so it's something I've ever considered.... although the same could be said for any public seat (restaurant, church, movies). That may be the best reason ever.

Wendyclaire
October 19th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I had much the same question as I’m one of those who hate the look of updos and buns. I ponytail when working out, etc. Really a hot button issue! Hair is definitely a personal thing! I like mine down all the time!

sophia_
October 19th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I really don't wear mine up too often, I'm a hairstyle-switcher, mine gets bunned in the morning, then after having to re-bun too many times and my scalp beginning to hurt it gets put in a braid, or if I'm in a situation where I can safely wear it down I will. Bunning all day, unless I absolutely have to, causes more damage than it prevents, simply because the hair in the very front and back of my head is very fragile. My simple answer is, I like big buns, and I cannot lie, lol. The more hair, the bigger the bun!

Simsy
October 20th, 2018, 02:09 AM
For myself, long hair is drastically less work than short hair. I don’t have to deal with it; it doesn’t cause as much grief or stress and it doesn’t tangle as badly. I frequently put my hair up on Sunday night and don’t touch it until the following Saturday’s just because I don’t have the time.

Corvana
October 20th, 2018, 04:02 AM
The last time I had long hair, I just sort of "had" it. It grew, and I'd cut it to like SL, and then it grew again. But it was just "there", and I rarely cared about it. But I still wore it up a lot! Because it was annoying. I like(d) it down sometimes, to feel it and see it and whatever, but it gets in the way! It gets in my face, wraps around my neck, gets in my armpits, gets in other peoples' faces. And having your hair down in a car with a window down??? The worst.

I put my hair in a bun every day now because I can, because it's easy and fast and comfortable and pretty. It looks like I put in more effort than the 45 seconds I did. And like someone else mentioned, with my hair up it's always a good hair day.

After seeing this question posed several times, I thought of something that it sort of reminds me of: tattoos and piercings in places that aren't generally seen all the time. Why get them if you're not going to show them, right? Especially with tattoos, which are beautiful pieces of art! But who did you get that tattoo for? All of mine are for me, and no one else (meaning is another matter, what a tattoo is about can be anything). So they're where I want them to be, and not where other people would like to see them.

So for me personally, my hair being up is for convenience and lack of annoyance first, and protection last. The protection only ever became a thing when I learned updos that were more gentle. But there will probably be times that I'll wear my hair down. It's also very lazy to not put it up! And I can be very lazy. But I like it not in my way more than I like it to look pretty down, so I doubt it'll be too often :laugh:

MamaLou
October 20th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I wear my hair up because I like the way it looks and it does not get in the way when I'm at school. I also wear it up because i love how shiny and soft it is when i take it down, i like to have my hair loose when I'm dancing or when I'm hanging out with friends.

GrowingOut
October 20th, 2018, 06:32 PM
I like it up, although I wear the same style everyday due to my job so it's getting a little old. I have to wear it up because I've been assualted by customers at my job before who have dragged me by my hair. So my hair is for me, and at work "out of sight, out of mind." I take enough abuse from my customers day-to-day I refuse to be physically assualted and dragged by my hair again. My hair is mine alone to style as I please, (and feel like an Empress!)

2gaits
October 20th, 2018, 11:45 PM
I don't think long hair has to be worn up. My friend's mom had long hair probably finger tool or thigh length. She always wore it down. In fact I never saw her hair up not one time in all the years I knew her. My friend also wore her hair pretty long and usually it was down. I think wearing it up is more for convenience.

Stray_mind
October 21st, 2018, 01:02 AM

Wow, girl. But your face is really unique and gorgeous! I love your face when you put your hair up. You look like someone in a beautiful painting (at least in the pics you put up here).
A lot of girls would kill to have your cheekbones and swan neck. No need to be insecure about that at all imo. Your hair looks gorgeous both up And down though.

MamaLou
October 21st, 2018, 09:01 AM
I like it up, although I wear the same style everyday due to my job so it's getting a little old. I have to wear it up because I've been assualted by customers at my job before who have dragged me by my hair. So my hair is for me, and at work "out of sight, out of mind." I take enough abuse from my customers day-to-day I refuse to be physically assualted and dragged by my hair again. My hair is mine alone to style as I please, (and feel like an Empress!)

That is horrible!! I'm so sorry that happened to you :(

*Wednesday*
October 21st, 2018, 09:05 AM
Wow, girl. But your face is really unique and gorgeous! I love your face when you put your hair up. You look like someone in a beautiful painting (at least in the pics you put up here).
A lot of girls would kill to have your cheekbones and swan neck. No need to be insecure about that at all imo. Your hair looks gorgeous both up And down though.

I was thinking the same thing. She would be great for modeling updos. Very polished looking. Very classy.

Milady_DeWinter
October 21st, 2018, 10:13 AM

I was thinking the same thing. She would be great for modeling updos. Very polished looking. Very classy.

You guys are the best :) I'm blushing here! I guess we all suffer that kind of pressure about our appearance (from media, society, etc). I've learned to appreciate the beauty of updos because of all your pics, and I'm even thinking about being 1 entire month with the hair up (even on wash days!) to learn to be more at peace with those styles. I actually never gave it much importance, i just NEVER wore updos because I thought that they looked awful on me. Now I see that they can be really flattering :) I'm so grateful to this awesome community of LHC because of it. I think i just have to get even more used to updos, the same that I did with make up: when I was a teen I could not leave the hourse without it, and now I don't really care and just use it when I feel like it and because I like it, not because I need it. Humans! :rolleyes:

enting
October 21st, 2018, 04:27 PM
Ick! I didn't even think about that. I live in a mountain town where the only public transpo is on the university campus, so it's something I've ever considered.... although the same could be said for any public seat (restaurant, church, movies). That may be the best reason ever.

I never thought about it until I started keeping my hair up most of the time. Suddenly I began noticing all the surfaces my hair was touching on the rare occasions I wore it down and got kinda grossed out.

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 02:20 PM
Of course, it's a matter of personal taste. Ain't a thing wrong with liking the classic look of a nice waterfall of hair.

But I am growing my hair out with the intention to mostly wear it up, and here's why--

1. I see girls with loose long hair all the time. I want to stand out with my cool styling and attention to detail... Growing out my hair just to mostly wear it down seems like a lot of time and effort wasted on a look that isn't wildly inventive.

2. The bun style naturally permits for an insane amount of creativity and a variety of fast or elaborate styles that you can easily switch out from day-to-day.

3. Hairsticks from Etsy are adorable. And I NEVER see anyone irl with hairsticks, so wearing them is another way to cultivate a unique aesthetic. Same with ficcares, bun cages, etc.

4. You're less likely to get your ends damaged or your hair stuck in things and ripped out if it's up.

5.You're less likely to get your hair messed up by wind if it's up, and are less likely to get flyaways.

6. Wearing your hair up can make you look regal, professional.

7. Updos make you look like you put more effort into looking put-together than the hair-down crowd did. (Not necessarily true, but still.)

8. Lastly, having your hair up often means that you will get a BIG reaction from peers from doing something as simple as letting it down, making your hair's beautiful natural state more something to be treasured, special and pretty for its own merit, than something that your hair just does if you don't feel like putting in much effort.

FrayedFire
March 23rd, 2020, 05:34 PM
Hey it becomes even more interesting. If you catch my drift. Especially in a long braid. ;)

:smirk: *cackles knowingly* :eyebrows:

hennalonghair
March 23rd, 2020, 07:17 PM
- it keeps it out of the way - woodworking, woodturning
- oils can be used on the ends and hidden it the bun
- dirty hair looks much nicer in a bun
- less tangles, wind and sun damage
- adds classy sophistication
- can show off hair accessories nicely
- less frizz, more control

Dark40
March 23rd, 2020, 07:39 PM
I often wondered the same thing. Why have long hair if you're going to wear it up all of the time, and hide it? For my preference, I prefer to wear it down all of the time. I don't mind my hair in my face or on my neck.

leafygreens18
March 23rd, 2020, 08:19 PM
A big part of the long hair aesthetic for me is about the HUGE bun. So... that's part of it!

FrayedFire
March 23rd, 2020, 09:11 PM
I used to wear it down all the time. It only got longer once I started wearing it up more. I had to detangle less! It felt and looked better. The styles are plentiful.

Also, if I didn't put my hair up, I wouldn't be able to let it down!

0xalis
March 23rd, 2020, 09:13 PM
So you can show off all the hair toys :P
I'm growing my hair to be able to put it up easily and get it OUT of my way!
I look a lot better with a bun than a buzz cut so...

Ylva
March 24th, 2020, 02:34 AM
The main reason I wear my hair up or in a braid (not very much at all anymore, mostly up these days) when I leave the house is because I don't want to have to brush my hair every once in a while when I'm out, and to have to carry a hairbrush with me in the first place. The wind is not my friend when my hair is down. Sure, it's to protect the ends as well, but my ends actually tend to get dry-feeling from being worn up a whole day, so I'm not sure if it's working so well for me in that sense.

I wear my hair loose most of the time when I'm at home and also when I sleep. It's all for comfort reasons. So yeah, the way I wear my hair has next to nothing to do with anyone other than me and my convenience. I will, however, wear it down for so called special occasions (whatever that may mean to me) if I feel like that goes best with my overall look.

It seems that my feelings regarding this haven't changed much since 2018. I still wear my hair in a bun for convenience, but I think buns look bad on me, and my hair still dislikes them. :D

SleepyTangles
March 24th, 2020, 02:40 AM
Because it's not going to stay very beautiful for long, if it's out all the time ;)
Joking, I also like it mostly down, but I can already see that it's not as beautiful as when I wore It almost exclusively up.

Belgrade Beauty
March 24th, 2020, 06:56 AM
I do wear it down when I go out,but it tangles so easily , I might have to start with buns soon..:rolleyes:

lapushka
March 24th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Yep that's it! I mean there's always this thing that a bun is a "secondary" hairstyle. Why? Why can't you just live for the bun? :lol: I mean I *love* wearing my hair in a bun all the time. It's my signature look, actually!

Belgrade Beauty
March 24th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Yep that's it! I mean there's always this thing that a bun is a "secondary" hairstyle. Why? Why can't you just live for the bun? :lol: I mean I *love* wearing my hair in a bun all the time. It's my signature look, actually!

Are you asking me? If yes then, I love buns and I used to wear them a lot before I joined LHC,but since reading here I realized that my particular bun may hurt my hair and damage it so I just kind of stopped wearing them. It's been almost three months and now when I make one as I used to before, my head hurts. :rolleyes:

lapushka
March 24th, 2020, 10:24 AM
Are you asking me? If yes then, I love buns and I used to wear them a lot before I joined LHC,but since reading here I realized that my particular bun may hurt my hair and damage it so I just kind of stopped wearing them. It's been almost three months and now when I make one as I used to before, my head hurts. :rolleyes:

No it was a general remark, actually. :o

Just puzzled by why it's always the bun that gets the short end of the stick, while in and of itself... it is a pretty hairstyle. Well IMO. :D

bparnell75
March 24th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I agree with Lapushka. I like the buns in and of themselves, but my hair is thin and is not pretty down. If I tried to wear it down it would be in my face, yuck. in my way, a nuisance. When I used to see older ladies with long hair up I thought there was an elegance to it. That is what I strive for.
https://live.staticflickr.com/928/27737941958_9f1ed672b9_w.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
March 24th, 2020, 02:05 PM
I agree with Lapushka. I like the buns in and of themselves, but my hair is thin and is not pretty down. If I tried to wear it down it would be in my face, yuck. in my way, a nuisance. When I used to see older ladies with long hair up I thought there was an elegance to it. That is what I strive for.

And you have achieved it! You look like you are wearing a crown! :) How did you do that lovely style?

cestlavie
March 24th, 2020, 02:06 PM
I wear my up because I want my hair out of my face during work. Then, I won't worry/obsess as much about it than when it's loose. My tangles easily too. Secondly, I think it's pretty when it's up with a flexi or hair stick.

Belgrade Beauty
March 24th, 2020, 02:11 PM

It looks gorgeous!

bparnell75
March 24th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Thanks Sarah. This is Nightshades version of a sloppy bun.
on this page go down until you see her tutorial.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121960&page=2&p=2693528&viewfull=1#post2693528

Sarahlabyrinth
March 24th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Thanks Sarah. This is Nightshades version of a sloppy bun.
on this page go down until you see her tutorial.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121960&page=2&p=2693528&viewfull=1#post2693528

Oh - thanks! What do you use to hold the twist?

lapushka
March 24th, 2020, 03:15 PM

I've seen a couple of your buns, but this one is about my favorite! :)

This is what my hair up in the front looks like as well, when I do my buns. For me it is achieved by not brushing or combing (nice and easy for me). It goes flatter with the progression of the week, though.

AmaryllisRed
March 24th, 2020, 03:41 PM
bparnell, you have definitely achieved that elegance!

Simsy
March 24th, 2020, 10:11 PM
Yep that's it! I mean there's always this thing that a bun is a "secondary" hairstyle. Why? Why can't you just live for the bun?

This, so this. A bun is no more a “lazy hairstyle” than the messy “boho braid”.

Honestly, I’m growing because I wear my hair up. My job is not conducive to loose hair or long braids past about chin length; lots of moving parts and pinch points. My curls don’t handle being blown around and left to their own devices very well; they tend to dry out and I have struggled with frizz and breakage in the past because of this. My hair overall doesn’t really like being touched, it gets grumpy and oily; and generally starts to fight everything. The longer my hair gets, the longer I can leave it up and untouched. The whole thing just becomes so much easier.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 25th, 2020, 05:14 AM
It's not hidden. I see it every morning before I put it up :p

lapushka
March 25th, 2020, 05:24 AM
This, so this. A bun is no more a “lazy hairstyle” than the messy “boho braid”.

Honestly, I’m growing because I wear my hair up. My job is not conducive to loose hair or long braids past about chin length; lots of moving parts and pinch points. My curls don’t handle being blown around and left to their own devices very well; they tend to dry out and I have struggled with frizz and breakage in the past because of this. My hair overall doesn’t really like being touched, it gets grumpy and oily; and generally starts to fight everything. The longer my hair gets, the longer I can leave it up and untouched. The whole thing just becomes so much easier.

That should be a slogan on a shirt! :D :thumbsup: And I mean it!

My hair at shoulder to APL is in my way already. Most I can manage at that point is a peacock twist and that is not the most "comfortable" updo, for me at least. Handy and a necessity at some point, but comfortable? Nah. So yes, I actually have it long so I can bun it. Odd that for some, I guess.

Butterfly Blue
March 25th, 2020, 06:37 AM

I know this is an old post, but, for me, this is the best response I've read so far. I can relate to what you are saying