PDA

View Full Version : Apocalyptic Hair Length

DakarNick
October 14th, 2018, 06:45 PM
I've been catching up on The Walking Dead and saw a female zombie with a blonde TBL braid. It got me thinking.

Would you still want long hair? Would a zombie apocalypse change your wants or needs?

Obviously hair salons wouldn't be around, but hair cutting would still be easily doable. I think it's funny that some of the men that have longer hair have it in their eyes constantly. That would drive me nuts trying to save my own or others' lives with a gun or crossbow or sword.

littlestarface
October 14th, 2018, 06:54 PM
A situation like that wouldn't make me cut my hair, i'd do crown braids everyday tho.

spidermom
October 14th, 2018, 07:04 PM
I'd probably cut it really short. I know if I lived in a place where I could snorkel on a regular basis, I'd cut my hair short. The last time I went snorkeling, I found pulling the mask off a major hassle.

neko_kawaii
October 14th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Keepin it long, so much easier to keep out of the way.

lithostoic
October 14th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Nah I'd still keep it long. Makes buns 10x easier when you have length.

XcaliburGirl
October 14th, 2018, 07:36 PM
I'd go around shoulder length. Long enough to pull back, short enough to wash easily. Good point about hair in the eyes. I would want to grow out my bangs so they could be pulled back as well.

If I was a zombie, I don't think I would care about my hair though. :silly:

TheLuckyLurker
October 14th, 2018, 08:00 PM
I would want my hair to be just long enough to completely put up and out of the way (and out of my face).

SwanFeathers
October 14th, 2018, 08:05 PM
A quick bun with long hair is a great deal less fuss than shorter lengths. Any of the campers/backpackers on the forum can attest to that. The end of the world wouldn't be much different

Alex Lou
October 14th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I've thought about this while watching the Walking Dead, and I would definitely cut my hair. You don't want anything for zombies, or especially other living people, to grab. Probably the shorter, the better.

Shorty89
October 14th, 2018, 08:35 PM
It's a tough choice for me. Without some conditioner or time to devote to hair care, I think my hair would be in bad shape. Plus, like Alex Lou says, it would be a liability. But, short hair can't be put back so it would be in my eyes. Maybe cut to bsl? I don't know.

Five of Five
October 14th, 2018, 09:22 PM
My long hair would be a liability and would get chopped off nearly immediately into a pixie.

If you lived in a warmer climate (and thus wet long hair won't cause you to get too cold) and had hair that stayed in an updo, it might be different, though!

GardenHorse
October 14th, 2018, 09:44 PM
I would most likely cut it shorter, but long enough to be able to put into a bun or a pony tail, since I would not want any hair in my face or people/zombies grabbing it as Alex Lou said.

AutobotsAttack
October 14th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I wouldn’t care. I’d probably be too focused on surviving from day to day, I probably wouldn’t even do anything to my hair. I’d try to jump in a lake or stream to wash my entire body when I could, but aside from putting my hair in braids or trying to comb or cut it, I’d find that to be something I wouldn’t concentrate too much on. If anything I’d probably start letting my hair naturally loc itself up.

lithostoic
October 14th, 2018, 09:55 PM
I would most likely cut it shorter, but long enough to be able to put into a bun or a pony tail, since I would not want any hair in my face or people/zombies grabbing it as Alex Lou said.

A ponytail would definitely make your hair easier to grab.

Hexen
October 14th, 2018, 10:13 PM
In a world like that, probably the shorther the better as a general tactic. But maybe it wouldnt be a horrible idea to retain said hair post cut rather than discard it. I can see reasons why it could potentially come in handy in some weird unexpected scenario. It makes great kindling. Maybe it could even serve as an impromptu binding/lashing for something given its impressive tensile strength. Its weight and compressibility wouldnt make it a hindrance to carry, and Im sure with enough-o-the-stuff, it could be woven into a surprisingly wide variety of interesting and useful applications.

TreesOfEternity
October 15th, 2018, 12:46 AM
I think I would keep it long, just to keep my sanity. In an scenario like that apart from surviving I think it's important to keep in touch with who you really are, not losing your humanity, because it can drive you crazy. Plus it would make a great scarf in winter and braiding it would be a good entertainment in a world where there's no electronic devices nor much things to do except eating and sleeping!

Joules
October 15th, 2018, 02:45 AM
There's a Russian movie where main characters, a man and a woman, are trying to survive in the woods and he asks her to cut her hair to make a bow and arrows (he needed hair to make the string for the bow). I don't know how true it is that you can make a bow out of hair, but guess I'd cut it if I really needed it for something, other than that I'd keep it on my head, maybe I'd braid it and tuck it under my clothes so that nothing could grab it :hmm:

Aerya
October 15th, 2018, 03:38 AM
I'd have a long braid with a morning star attached to it. 8D

Perhaps not, but I think I would want long hair. My hair is long enough to ponytail now but wearing it like that constantly hurts my scalp and requires frequent washing. I think the best would be long enough to bun comfortably but still not too heavy. Short hair would be practical too, but then you have the need to cut it frequently to not have it get in your eyes, and besides long hair provides some warmth as well.

Ylva
October 15th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd cut it short so I wouldn't need to think about conditioners and haircare products and routines while trying to survive. Having long hair could also allow the zombies to grab it, if it was in a braid or loose, so that could be my doom.

spidermom
October 15th, 2018, 09:41 AM
In a world like that, probably the shorther the better as a general tactic. But maybe it wouldnt be a horrible idea to retain said hair post cut rather than discard it. I can see reasons why it could potentially come in handy in some weird unexpected scenario. It makes great kindling. Maybe it could even serve as an impromptu binding/lashing for something given its impressive tensile strength. Its weight and compressibility wouldnt make it a hindrance to carry, and Im sure with enough-o-the-stuff, it could be woven into a surprisingly wide variety of interesting and useful applications.

Hey - good point. One could probably sew with it.

bparnell75
October 15th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I think I would cut it back to BSL so it would be a little easier to detangle but still long enough to use my forks and sticks.

ravenskey
October 15th, 2018, 10:19 AM
In the scenario, I wouldn't really care but also the effort to keep it short would be a pain. Long I could probably use it for something.

Obsidian
October 15th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I would shave or at least keep it cropped really short. Not only for safety but for cleanliness. I wouldn't want to worry about combing, getting sebum build up or having to hunt for shampoo. Cropped, it could be washed with regular soap or even mud and not have to worry about drying out or knots.

Milady_DeWinter
October 15th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Long and in braids or in a braided cinnabun would be my election. I know me and I wouldn't let my hair go for just that zombie crazyness (fist in the air), I don't think it'd be complicated just to wear a comb, some elastics and one stick (that can also be a weapon) with me anytime. I could wash it just with water, like the rest of myself :shrug:

sumidha
October 15th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Haha I'd be pulling a Carol (pixie cut status) as soon as the first zombies showed up. Hair is less important than survival.

enting
October 15th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I'd keep it long and up but probably wouldn't mind too much cutting off a small hank once in a while for practical use (twine, rope, firestarter, whatever). I'd donate its use sparingly though, because I have to have enough time to grow more to sustain the commodity!

Oh, and about cleanliness: I often wrap my hair anyway. If I have even one scarf left to wrap with, I'll keep using that.

Climber
October 15th, 2018, 02:52 PM
There's a Russian movie where main characters, a man and a woman, are trying to survive in the woods and he asks her to cut her hair to make a bow and arrows (he needed hair to make the string for the bow). I don't know how true it is that you can make a bow out of hair, but guess I'd cut it if I really needed it for something, other than that I'd keep it on my head, maybe I'd braid it and tuck it under my clothes so that nothing could grab it :hmm:

That reminds me of one of the Icelandic Sagas! Gunnar's Saga, maybe? Gunnar was on the roof of the house, holding off the men who were attacking him, when one of them cut Gunnar's bowstring. He called down to his wife Hallgerd, and asked her to cut her hair to make him a replacement bowstring. Her response was along the lines of "Remember that time you beat me? Yeah...no." And he was killed.

I may have the names wrong--been a looooooong time since I read them.

HaMalka
October 15th, 2018, 03:23 PM
I would probably die before this would be a question. If by some miracle I survived long enough to consider my hair, I would probably cut it back to ankle or knee length. I would work under the assumption that my entire life is a miracle so why couldn't I have miraculous hair? But I still wouldn't want to have to worry about tripping on it when fleeing for my life in the middle of the night.

Tulipa
October 15th, 2018, 05:08 PM
I would probably die before this would be a question. If by some miracle I survived long enough to consider my hair, I would probably cut it back to ankle or knee length. I would work under the assumption that my entire life is a miracle so why couldn't I have miraculous hair? But I still wouldn't want to have to worry about tripping on it when fleeing for my life in the middle of the night.

"cut back to ankle length…??" Wow, HaMalka, your hair must be really long then! A miracle indeed.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 15th, 2018, 06:47 PM
I would shave it off.
It doesnt make sense in this sort of situation to keep hair long. Even if you cut off enough to just have a pony tail.

Youd run the risk of getting sick from a skin infection, getting hair caught up or grabbed by a zombie or something else while running away.
If you have a skin condition like SD, you dont have access to everything anymore, the products that help me are gone now.
Id get itchy, you cut open the scalp from scratching/start bleeding, then you get an infection and die. lol
Theres no running water, shampoos and conditioners are available but do you risk your life grabbing that when you could grab food and other essentials for survival?
No. I would save as much energy and space collecting food and supplies, not shampoo and hair things.

Its like the situation where people bring up ladies being shaven, full face make up, in heels during "end of the world" type movies where being that way is hard and non essential. Like why? LOL.

It just doesnt make sense to me and id rather not run the risk of increasing my chances of dying for the love of long hair.
So I would shave it off. It would take a year for it to get long enough that it would be a problem again.

Aerya
October 16th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Its like the situation where people bring up ladies being shaven, full face make up, in heels during "end of the world" type movies where being that way is hard and non essential. Like why? LOL.

I don't think a bit of makeup is that much of a stretch, actually. I mean, obviously the movies where they all have a full face of makeup and clean-shaven bodies whilst battling zombies constantly are BS, but in a more realistic scenario you'd probably have a bit of time on your hands. You would probably find a safe-ish space and get into a routine, at least if you managed to survive for a while - and if we're being realistic, after the initial wave, the zombies would start to rot and die, or at the very least become more inactive as there would be less food after most people have turned. And with no job, no social media etc to eat up your time, you'd probably have a bit of time to kill. More so, makeup can act as a psychological tool, think war makeup, or as a way of feeling normal in a world unravelling. Of course, a full face is a stretch, but I can totally see myself carrying a khol eyeliner in my pocket as my own personal talisman kind of thing.

Kiiruna
October 16th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I would shave it all. No one can grab it, it's out of the way, it's easier to take care of.

lottiealice
October 16th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I'd keep it long and keep growing it but keep it out of the way with milkmaid braids and sticks (that could also be used as a weapon). I probably wouldn't care as much about washing it though, I only wash my hair once per week as it is. Hair could be useful.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 16th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I don't think a bit of makeup is that much of a stretch, actually. I mean, obviously the movies where they all have a full face of makeup and clean-shaven bodies whilst battling zombies constantly are BS, but in a more realistic scenario you'd probably have a bit of time on your hands. You would probably find a safe-ish space and get into a routine, at least if you managed to survive for a while - and if we're being realistic, after the initial wave, the zombies would start to rot and die, or at the very least become more inactive as there would be less food after most people have turned. And with no job, no social media etc to eat up your time, you'd probably have a bit of time to kill. More so, makeup can act as a psychological tool, think war makeup, or as a way of feeling normal in a world unravelling. Of course, a full face is a stretch, but I can totally see myself carrying a khol eyeliner in my pocket as my own personal talisman kind of thing.

I mean, there’s no running water.
Do you really want to wear make up when you can’t clean your skin with clean water?
I’d rather just avoid this mess all together. Mind you, you can get infections In the eye from leaving make up on like that.
If I wore make up and there was no running/clean water, I would break out horribly.
Probably get some cystic acne, get an infection and die.

Lol. I’m just being realistic here. It makes no sense, even if you’re trying to keep your sense of humanity.

HaMalka
October 16th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Shaving your head could put you at risk of nicking your scalp and getting an infection.

RadioactiveLily
October 16th, 2018, 07:32 PM
I was just thinking about this while watching a wilderness survival show. I might be tempted to cut mine if I kept having problems with fleas or lice, or if it gets so absurdly damaged that it makes me sad to look at it. More likely though I’d keep it to protect my scalp from the sun and collect my shed hairs to make things like fishing nets and ropes. It would primarily live in a braided bun with a sharp stick that could double as a weapon.

illicitlizard
October 16th, 2018, 07:48 PM
BSL in a bun would probably be my apocalyptic ideal. Long enough to be out of the damn way, not too long as to be cumbersome. I imagine hair cuts would be a pain though so it'd probably end up long anyways. Less maintenance. Don't want to be shaving ya head every month or what have you like who can be bothered haha

Aerya
October 17th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Do you really want to wear make up when you can’t clean your skin with clean water?
I’d rather just avoid this mess all together. Mind you, you can get infections In the eye from leaving make up on like that.
If I wore make up and there was no running/clean water, I would break out horribly.

Lol. I’m just being realistic here. It makes no sense, even if you’re trying to keep your sense of humanity.

Water depends on where you live though. Here in Norway access to water isn't really a concern. Like I said, I wouldn't be bothered with a full face of makeup, of course; neither would I go out of my way and risk my life just to put on eyeliner. But if the circumstances allow for it, I can totally see some people doing it as a sort of war paint or personal ritual.

Milady_DeWinter
October 17th, 2018, 04:50 AM

I'm in. I also "might" shave my head if I have enough khol/black make up to rock the Furiosa style (http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/05/imperator-furiosa-612x380-136069.jpg), just saying.

But I think I'd rather save my hair than play with makeup lol :lol:

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 12:42 PM
I'd probably just do a braid, wrap it around my head, and then stop touching it. Zombie apocalypse = don't care about my hair (or my makeup). I'd be way more focused on survival. With a braid wrapped around my head or in a braided bun if wrapping doesn't work, I could go weeks without touching it as long as I don't care that it is a mess. If I need to rebraid because it has gotten long, I'd just rip through my hair with my hands/brush/comb so it wouldn't take too long to detangle the mess enough to rebraid. I don't treat my hair like fine lace now, certainly not going to bother during a zombie apocalypse. If need be, I'd cut it short or shave it.

Simsy
October 20th, 2018, 01:57 AM
For my own sanity, I would keep my hair long; at least to TBL or cl. It knots less, stays up easier for longer and requires far less washing and handling all round. It also means I can ignore it for decent lengths of time and deal with it as I have the time and energy to spare. Left in a bun or braid wrapped around my head; it’s unlikely to cause much grief and I can always just go back to the old care system of brushing and oil to clean it if water is in short supply.

blesseddamozel
October 20th, 2018, 03:11 AM
If I was in a really severe situation where I was on the run and didn't have many resources I'd shave it to a crew cut....wouldn't be my favorite choice but I think that's the easiest and most low risk cut for a scenario like that. If I had a relatively stable shelter and some resources I'd just keep it long and wear it in a tight bun probably.

Alex Lou
October 20th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Exactly. And while I think the eye infection idea is a bit extreme, I wouldn't want racoon eyes or breakouts. And if you're struggling for survival in a sheltered place, who has time to put on makeup before making use of limited daylight without electricity? Do subsistence farmers wear makeup?

Aredhel
October 20th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I'd 100% cut my hair off to shoulder length, and definitely no makeup.... :lol:

WyntreBlossom
October 20th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I always have had this "fantasy" of long hair in dark times like, in old movies, or medieval times, and having it in a braid or bun and a "fight" knocking my hair loose from its hold and everyone being shocked by the look of me with my hair down for once in my life as well as the length. In order to fufill my strange fantasy, AND because I love long hair so pffft apocalypse, Mine would stay long but up!

Wildcat Diva
October 20th, 2018, 12:52 PM
I have the best answer: oiled braided bun containing a VARIETY of hair weaponry implements with real world applications.

Yes, I’ve thought about this for a while now.

Aerya
October 20th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I have the best answer: oiled braided bun containing a VARIETY of hair weaponry implements with real world applications.

Yes, I’ve thought about this for a while now.

Swiss army braid!

...that sounded funnier in my head :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 20th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Exactly. And while I think the eye infection idea is a bit extreme, I wouldn't want racoon eyes or breakouts. And if you're struggling for survival in a sheltered place, who has time to put on makeup before making use of limited daylight without electricity? Do subsistence farmers wear makeup?
You could def get an eye infection. I’m personally prone to styes.
They’re not pretty, they hurt, and they impact your vision.
I totally forgot about electricity too.

Lol. It just makes zero sense.
Throw the make up and hair aside and grab as many weapons and food as you can.

Cymiri
October 20th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Either long, or shaved.

Loose hair is an inherent grab risk. Either something you can pin up, or ace it all totally- although keeping it that short could be a problem

lapushka
October 20th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I think I would pick my current length, even longer, and just a Nautilus bun. You could probably find a stick just about anywhere, so...

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 02:25 PM
Short hair or tight buns for me... Long flowing hair is lovely, but it's not worth getting yanked backwards into the undead horde while I'm trying to run away.

I'd probably either wear my hair in military/policewoman styles or just shave it to go for that meta Furiosa look.