PDA

View Full Version : 55ft of Hair

LittleOgre
October 14th, 2018, 10:02 AM
https://youtu.be/wjOAv0esEo8

Asha Mandela - World record holder for the longest dreadlocks. At 55ft... Crazy. I'm curious if there is a possibility of a terminal length around 55ft. Im sure she has already passed her terminal length so basically a good amount of her hair is just connected strands togethor that make up a very long dreadlock that is disconnected from her scalp but I wonder if her hair is real seeing as it grew way to fast... Question: If you could grow your hair 55ft or longer. Would you?

Joules
October 14th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Jesus, poor woman can become paralyzed because of that hair! That's the aesthetic I'll never be able to understand shudder:

If I could grow 55ft of hair, I'd choose not to do it :D hair that's longer than the person's height doesn't look right to me, mostly because I'm a huge germaphobe and I'll never ba able to tolerate dirty ends :shrug:

Sarahlabyrinth
October 14th, 2018, 10:21 AM
No, I think floor length would be the longest I would want mine.

MusicalSpoons
October 14th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Haven't watched the video but to answer the question, no chance. My hair cannot stay put in the same protective style for more than a day and night at a time, by which point there will already be some tangles from the hairs that have escaped. I mean, I can wear it in the same type of bun 24/7 but it has to be taken down, detangled and redone every day. Otherwise I would end up with mats and breakage of the hairs that escape. So 55ft needing to be detangled and redone each day? Not A Chance.

From the first time I started to contemplate where to stop growing, I've consistently decided on 'when it gets too much / when I no longer enjoy it', if that point comes before I reach terminal. I can absolutely guarantee that point would come before 55ft ;)

Sora Rose
October 14th, 2018, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't grow my hair to 55ft. That much hair would begin to get in the way and impair my ability to do physical activity at all. I think knee might be my stopping point if I feel classic is too short. I don't know if I'd want - or could get - any longer.

ravenskey
October 14th, 2018, 10:41 AM
If it caused health problems like for this woman definitely not!

Even without that 55ft of hair would just be too much for me. If my terminal length allowed it, I think just beyond floor would be the longest I would ever go, as I know there are several people on LHC with hair that length and it doesn't seem too hard for them to deal with. (Obviously lifestyle ect. could change that).

Carolyn
October 14th, 2018, 12:03 PM
No I would never even think of trying to grow that long. I don't find hair that long appealing in the least. I love long hair but that is just way too much. More power to her if it works for her. Hip length was too long for me.

lapushka
October 14th, 2018, 12:32 PM
My next goal after reaching FTL this past week is knee. Beyond that, we'll see. I might go for ankle or floor. But I would stop there. It still has to be comfortable worn up.

But she's a record holder, that's a special kind of person right there.

elfynity
October 14th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I think 55ft of hair for me takes away from the idea of having beautiful long flowing hair that you can do cool stuff with that you can feel on your back and swing around if you like. Her hair doesn't look fun, I would cut it to at least knee if it was me.

amiraaah
October 14th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I would never grow past ankle length because i don’t like the idea of having my hair touching the floor.long hair is fun as you get to do many things with it that’s why i love growing my hair.but once it gets to the point of being a true obstacle In my dailylife and still i can’t do anything fun with it(she carries her hair in a bag everyday)then why would i even grow it to that abnormal length?

MusicalSpoons
October 14th, 2018, 01:03 PM
My next goal after reaching FTL this past week is knee. Beyond that, we'll see. I might go for ankle or floor. But I would stop there. It still has to be comfortable worn up.

You've hit the nail on the head. To keep growing to such truly exceptional lengths takes an exceptional commitment and desire which very few people have!

ravenskey
October 14th, 2018, 01:12 PM

You've hit the nail on the head. To keep growing to such truly exceptional lengths takes an exceptional commitment and desire which very few people have!

100% agree with these - I certainly don't have that kind of dedication :lol:

daisy rei
October 14th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Oh, I've seen that video. I'm pretty sure she had to cut back some of her dreads eventually because of her health. Her hair is very impressive and I can't help but admire her dedication to it, even if it does ultimately hinder her.

I hope I can reach ankle/floor without making any huge time/lifestyle sacrifices. I think some of the longest hair on the planet belongs to women from China. When I see pictures like this (https://i.gyazo.com/fe26e08ae7bbc3b2dd33d6e6a140b3fa.jpg)or this (https://i.gyazo.com/8575940ea19d6397467dcba1b349965e.png)I can't help but think "Nooo, get that hair off of the ground!" but at the same time it would be amazing to have such a long terminal length.

Hairkay
October 14th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I definitely won't be doing that. I also like locs but I don't have the patience to get my hair done and go through years of awkwardness. I also like my hair to be practical. It shouldn't hinder me from activities or endanger my health in any way.

Locs tend to hold on to a lot of shed hairs though some will find a way to depart either a strand at a time or part of a loc or a whole loc can fall out.

Alissalocks
October 14th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't even wanna grow 10 feet of hair! :laugh:

Arciela
October 14th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Nope! The longest I could take would be classic...maybe MAYBE knee. I don't enjoy my hair if I can't wear it down now and then...

Zesty
October 14th, 2018, 02:08 PM
No thanks. That would be a lot of trouble.

But my guess is that my genes wouldn't allow me to go past barely-knee, so I don't think I have to worry about it too much. :p

*Wednesday*
October 14th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Impressive. For me 55ft way too long. How can you enjoy it when it becomes a physical burden? I don't find that length aesthetically pleasing but her reasons are spiritual.

sophia_
October 14th, 2018, 06:21 PM
I can only imagine the breakage and thinning that I would get from the weight of the hair. I will stop growing if I reach a point where I can't somewhat comfortably wear it in a braid for certain activities. Of course I can only dream of a day I become inconvenienced by such a thing, lol.

spidermom
October 14th, 2018, 07:06 PM
No, I would not.

LittleOgre
October 15th, 2018, 08:08 AM
True I agree with that. What is the point of enjoying the length if you can't wear it out. But it does seem like an accomplishment...

illicitlizard
October 15th, 2018, 09:12 AM
That's truly some amazing commitment to long hair! Unfortunate that it has the potential to do real physical damage to her spine though.
And in answer to the question, I wouldn't want 55ft (nearly 17m?) long hair... I can already imagine the headaches, plus my back hurts enough as it is! Max length I'd want is probably classic, maybe FTL. Certainly no longer than my height (~1.62m)

HeavenlyTresses
October 16th, 2018, 11:24 AM
I can't imagine taking care of hair 55 ft long. I think the locs would be easier to take care of than if it was loose like Rapunzel though. If it gets to the point that I cannot take care of it by myself then it is too much. At beyond floor length the only thing that I don't enjoy about my length is figuring out what to do with it when swimming. A bun is fine if I don't want to get my head wet and a braid gets super tangled. The weight can be a problem and I can't imagine how heavy hers must be. It is amazing but I don't know if I would trade health for long hair.

Also, I always see comments on youtube, instagram etc., about it being on the floor. I sometimes have mine on the floor or even the ground for a few minutes for pictures but I am very careful to make sure it's a clean/clear area. Besides, I have 5 kids so I've had much worse things in my hair than a few leaves or some grass shudder: It also becomes a lot harder to get length pictures when you grow beyond floor, always trying to find a chair or something to stand on to show how long it is. I have also found things to lay on the floor or ground like a sheet or a blanket because people like to see it trailing behind me to give a different perspective from standing on a chair. And if it does by some chance get dirty, I can always just wash the ends :)

MusicalSpoons
October 16th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine taking care of hair 55 ft long. I think the locs would be easier to take care of than if it was loose like Rapunzel though. If it gets to the point that I cannot take care of it by myself then it is too much. At beyond floor length the only thing that I don't enjoy about my length is figuring out what to do with it when swimming. A bun is fine if I don't want to get my head wet and a braid gets super tangled. The weight can be a problem and I can't imagine how heavy hers must be. It is amazing but I don't know if I would trade health for long hair.

Also, I always see comments on youtube, instagram etc., about it being on the floor. I sometimes have mine on the floor or even the ground for a few minutes for pictures but I am very careful to make sure it's a clean/clear area. Besides, I have 5 kids so I've had much worse things in my hair than a few leaves or some grass shudder: It also becomes a lot harder to get length pictures when you grow beyond floor, always trying to find a chair or something to stand on to show how long it is. I have also found things to lay on the floor or ground like a sheet or a blanket because people like to see it trailing behind me to give a different perspective from standing on a chair. And if it does by some chance get dirty, I can always just wash the ends :)

THIS! It amazes me that people think that someone who has taken such good care of their hair for it to grow so long would suddenly lose all care and common sense once it reaches the floor :rolleyes: :shake:
And yes, washing just the ends sounds so much more practical than pretty much having to wash the whole lot, like you'd have to at shorter lengths.

Eve-Jade-Day
October 16th, 2018, 12:10 PM
I can't imagine anything longer than waist/classic on me. Just seeing how she's hunched over makes my scoliosis curve hurt :/

But yeah, I'm also short so anything longer than waist would look weird on me anyway LOL

HeavenlyTresses
October 16th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Thank you! I have an instagram account and it never ceases to amaze me that people think I let my hair just drag around on the floor or ground all day. Now don't get me wrong, I completely understand people who are genuinely interested and wonder what I do to keep it clean and protected and those are legitimate questions that I am happy to answer. My youngest daughter is a germaphobe and wants everything clean, all the time so I totally get it. However, there are also people that think I've forgotten how regular grooming practices work and how to go to the bathroom. I reckon if I'm smart enough to get my pants out of the way, I'm smart enough to get my hair out of the way.

Chromis
October 16th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I feel like we've had a thread about her before. Send us a post report if any of you run into it please and I will merge. (Still don't have my computer set up yet but our desks might arrive today!)

I think her hair is pretty cool, but my opinion is not really all that important. Hers is! And she ain't here to decorate my world.

LittleOgre
October 16th, 2018, 02:19 PM
What's your instagram account

lapushka
October 16th, 2018, 02:55 PM
What's your instagram account

LittleOgre, I'm a little curious about your hair. What's it look like? :) It's still short, but I bet it's pretty. :flower:

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 02:54 PM
Wow... have to respect Mandela for committing herself to that aesthetic. That's a lot of upkeep and tbh it looks pretty regal.

That being said, personally the minute hair is brushing the floor it's an immediate no for me. I would never want mine longer than Classic.

lapushka
November 1st, 2018, 02:59 PM
Wow... have to respect Mandela for committing herself to that aesthetic. That's a lot of upkeep and tbh it looks pretty regal.

That being said, personally the minute hair is brushing the floor it's an immediate no for me. I would never want mine longer than Classic.

Very dangerous words to say around here. Shhhh before LHC'itis (wanting longer and longer hair the longer you are here) gets you!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 1st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Very dangerous words to say around here. Shhhh before LHC'itis (wanting longer and longer hair the longer you are here) gets you!

Hmmm... I remember saying this once... :p

sugar&nutmeg
November 1st, 2018, 03:09 PM
I think I must be NOT understanding something important about this.

55 ft = 660 inches

Average growth per year = 6 inches

That's over 100 years of growing time... ?

What important factor am I overlooking?

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 03:09 PM
Personally I think I want mine to be WL or TBL, Just because the idea of sitting on my hair might be too much for me. However we will see once I get there haha! 55ft though? While I might like it for a day for some fabulous photos, I would not want that every day of my life. Too much maintenance oof!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 1st, 2018, 03:14 PM
I think I must be NOT understanding something important about this.

55 ft = 660 inches

Average growth per year = 6 inches

That's over 100 years of growing time... ?

What important factor am I overlooking?

Well, they are dreads, aren't they, so the 6" a year wouldn't apply, I'm guessing that they would "grow" much faster than that. Though I have never had dreads, so it's guesswork on my part...

ravenskey
November 1st, 2018, 03:28 PM
Not 100% on how dreads work but although an individual hair might take 100+ years to reach 55ft, hairs that shed and then attach themselves to non-shed hairs would not take that long. With single strands: it would only take about 35 hairs 20 inches in length to make 55ft end to end. If you then times that by however many hairs she has on her head + how long she's been growing and shedding hair...Even taking into account that the hair won't be exactly end to end it seems fairly plausible to me.

sugar&nutmeg
November 1st, 2018, 03:39 PM
Ah-hah! I had a feeling it must have something to do with the dreads. I'm totally unfamiliar with how dreads...form? Is that the verb I want?

If her hair makes her happy, and doesn't endanger anyone else, I'd say it's all good.

I don't know how long will be 'enough' for me, waist is the next goal. We'll see. It is sort of intoxicating to see how long one's hair will grow, but that's no great news flash around here, right? LOL!

MusicalSpoons
November 1st, 2018, 03:40 PM

I have to be honest, as soon as I read that I looked at your 'join date' to see how long you've been here - LHC-itis gets most people, sooner or later ;) you might turn out to be one of the few, rare people who remains unaffected by it, but if it does get you don't worry, we have cookies and cheese! :grin: :wink:

/end derailment. Back to the topic!

pastina
November 1st, 2018, 07:33 PM
Apparently that video was old, because this one is an update from like 2.5 years ago and her hair is up to 92'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hcpQWKxIM

YvetteVarie
November 2nd, 2018, 06:22 AM
I remember reading about her a while back. Her husband does her hair for her (he also has dreads but shorter ones). I wouldn't grow longer than HL (whether dreads or loose, touch wood) because it will be too much for me

Dark40
November 5th, 2018, 08:36 PM
No, I think floor length would be the longest I would want mine.

Yes, I'm with you on that note too Sarah. :)

Katsura
November 6th, 2018, 01:24 AM
If I ever was to be able to reach floor lenght, I think that's where I would stop too. Her hair is unique, though. :)

erebus
November 6th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Apparently that video was old, because this one is an update from like 2.5 years ago and her hair is up to 92'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hcpQWKxIM

Even with shed hairs, that doesn't make sense to me. From 55 ft to 92 ft in three years?

Julescarm
November 6th, 2018, 10:52 PM
I can't remember what video, but I think she had some sort of medical condition. It hit something in her brain. Please don't quote me. It was an hour long interview I think. Anywho.

LittleOgre
November 7th, 2018, 08:35 AM
That's not how locks work guys. In fact the thicker your dreadlocks are. The slower it grows because it mats UP. It kinks up and gets shorter and then grows slower due to the matting up of the hair. I have microlocks so my hair does not mat up as much as someone who would have pencil size dreadlocks. Have you ever done very kinky curls in ur heard? Or a thick braid and noticed you lost length for thickness? That is how dreadlocks work. It takes slightly longer for locs to grow at a goal length compared to loose hair due to the matting up of all the hair. Your hair doesn't grow faster in dreadlocks. Thats an illusion due to the fact that it is in a constant protective style. So your growth is never stunted. A woven connection between all hairs. That keeps it together. For many with even locks as thick as three fingers. They're hair can not go past shoulder due to many people with dreadlocks who don't do basic needs such as moisturiziations. So it dries up and falls out. I had a girl with hair way thicker than mines and her hair kept breaking. And it broke even more when she bleached it. When I felt it. It was so dry and brittle and damaged. But she is doing much better now that she stays away from bleach and uses rose water or hot oil treatments. Now that I look at asha mandelas videos properly i am very suspicious. Not only has her hair grown... Way past the average rate of hair growth. Its grown suddenly in a couple of years... Those medical problems. At the least means shes growing her 20- 24 inches of hair a year! 12 inches even would mat up and grow into 6-9 inch dreadlock. Depending on how thick your locs are. The thicker a dreadlock is the slower it grows. Think of it as a very intricate braid that expands and sacrafices length for thickness. Another thing is. There was a video of a girl with long hair go to shoulder length just by crocheting. That is basically how much dreadlocks shrink. Not to an extreme extemt but for many. As much as half... Idk. I find asha mandela odd now...

spidermom
November 7th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I was thinking along the same lines as LittleOgre. There's nothing about dreadlocks that in and of themselves makes hair grow faster. Obviously the woman in the video has a very fast growth rate or there's some kind of shenanigans going on here.