PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner vs oil what is your favourite?

Crazylazy34
October 13th, 2018, 04:30 PM
So I have fine wavy hair that gets tangled easily and a problematic scalp. what would you recommend me using for maximum softness. I find that if I use conditioner my scalp get greasier and itchier quicker or my hair strands get very dry and tangled when fully dried(if that makes sense) when wet my hair is soft which is the weird thing. Also have any of you guys just wash your hair with a mild shampoo then use a small amount of oil on your ends, has it made a difference.

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't use anything on the scalp, if you can avoid it, if you are at all fine and oily.

I am normal/oily now these days (weekly washer), and never ever use conditioner or oil on the scalp. I get more shedding when I do that as well, so another reason not to.

I use the rinse-out oil method on the hair (more info in my signature). That means you wash, then use a few drops of oil on the very ends of the hair, smash your conditioner on over it, let it marinate for a few minutes, then rinse. It makes hair very soft; don't be persuaded to use more than a few "drops" of oil though - I am not kidding!

Doreen
October 13th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Are you applying the conditioner onto your scalp? If so I would definitely recommend not doing that; conditioner on my scalp also causes quite bad irritation. As far as oil vs. conditoner, I think it comes down to trial and error.

Zesty
October 13th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Agreed, conditioner on the scalp is often a bad idea.

What kind of conditioners are you using when you're getting that result? I can't imagine that *every* conditioner would do that.

As for me, I use both pretty liberally. Either a very heavy application of oil before I shampoo or the ROO method lapushka mentioned, and a heavy conditioner. Just not near my scalp!

LittleOgre
October 13th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Honestly the only thing i notice that leaves my hair extremely soft is rosewater.

shaluwm_agape
October 13th, 2018, 08:52 PM
I personally love oils

Dark40
October 14th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Conditioner is my all time favorite. Now, after ever wash I do love applying oil to my ends for protection against dryness.

paulownia
October 15th, 2018, 02:47 AM
I wouldn't use anything on the scalp, if you can avoid it, if you are at all fine and oily.

I am normal/oily now these days (weekly washer), and never ever use conditioner or oil on the scalp. I get more shedding when I do that as well, so another reason not to.

I use the rinse-out oil method on the hair (more info in my signature). That means you wash, then use a few drops of oil on the very ends of the hair, smash your conditioner on over it, let it marinate for a few minutes, then rinse. It makes hair very soft; don't be persuaded to use more than a few "drops" of oil though - I am not kidding!
''Marinate'' made my day:laugh:
I cannot put any oil on my scalp either. My hair protests immediately and wants to run (increased shedding)
For very fine hair it should be also OK to just wash it, skip the rinse-out conditionner but use a lightweight leave-in instead. Ever using light oil as a leave-in could do.
I need to try this rinse-out oil method, sounds interesting. Maybe my dry ends would appreciate it;)

Joules
October 15th, 2018, 04:29 AM
Those are very different things.

Oils penetrate the strands and make them hydrophobic (aka protect your hair from excessive swelling during washes and subsequent damage, also oils can somewhat negate the drying effect of shampoo). Also the fatty acids that penetrate the hair will make it softer to touch and shinier. That's of course assuming you're using oils that can penetrate the hair, here's a list of good hair oils (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html). When applied on wet hair oils can lock in moisture, since oil and water don't mix.

Conditioners don't really penetrate the hair, unless they contain oils and you leave them on your hair for an hour. The main purpose of conditioner is to smooth down the cuticles, make the detangling process easier, provide an anti-static effect, and temporary fill in damaged parts with protein and silicones if you use conditioners with proteins and silicones. All of that makes the hair softer and shinier too.

So yeah, I think only you can decide what exactly it is that you need. I personally need both. If your hair gets dry and tangled after conditioner, maybe you need to switch it? Dryness can be caused by protein overload or other types of buildup, do you clarify regularly?

Reservechic
October 15th, 2018, 05:29 PM
When I condition my hair, I predominantly use a hair steamer, sometimes the Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap, because conditioning with heat works best for my hair, versus not using heat to condition my hair with whether the conditioner is labeled a regular rinse out or actual DC. So, I never do a regular conditioning, only a deep conditioning always, when I do condition my hair. Not all conditioners are alike, with some I get more softness and slip than I definitely do with others. Now, I don't use oil on my hair during the styling process on my wash days or I between such. As, it will make my hair very well lubricated and softer in feel, but it also leaves my hair with a oily afterfeel, and makes my hair limp. Plus, the hair cream that I actually use to style my hair with has natural oils in it and makes my hair very soft and super manageable, and also not using shampoo anymore has helped to make a really big difference with my hair.

So, what makes the biggest difference at least for me:

1. Stoping use of shampoo and strictly sticking to co-washing my hair.

2. Deep conditioning with heat for upwards of 30-60 minutes.

3. Using a moisturizing, hair cream for styling that has great hair softening benefits to it, along with great slip, so that way, your tangles will all just melt away. With my hair, I like to use a hair cream that has natural oils in it that are not only good for the hair, but the scalp as well. As, I do suffer with scalp eczema, so I have definitely gone through a lot with my scalp for sure!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 15th, 2018, 08:03 PM
First, try to avoid the scalp. But if youre going to put anything on your scalp, oil is best to use during a scalp massage.
But be sure to wash it out with shampoo, typically one doesnt use oil on the scalp unless its a pre poo treatment.

Generally though, for mositure and "softness" I use conditioner. I use oil as ROO during my shower which softens the hair a lot.
but in general, getting a proper moisture protein balance, usually makes the hair a lot softer.

Dark40
October 15th, 2018, 09:16 PM
I agree. I only use oil on the scalp, and conditioner I just apply on the surface on the hair.

kidari
October 17th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Do you always use the same wash routine? I find that I have to clarify about once every 2 months. Also, if I wash with shampoo all the time my ends get really dry. If I don't have the patience to oil my hair prior to shampooing, I'll alternate every other wash with a CO wash and a normal shampooing. Another thing to look into are ACV or vinegar or citric acid rinses.

amiraaah
October 17th, 2018, 11:43 AM
My hair hates conditioners which sounds really weird.i tried many brands and still conditioners cause breakage.on the other hand,my hair loves oil,rosewater,rosemary and rice water rinses.

Kat
October 18th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Both, because I use them for different things. Conditioner in the shower, oil at other times.

Do you always use the same wash routine? I find that I have to clarify about once every 2 months. Also, if I wash with shampoo all the time my ends get really dry. If I don't have the patience to oil my hair prior to shampooing, I'll alternate every other wash with a CO wash and a normal shampooing. Another thing to look into are ACV or vinegar or citric acid rinses.
I usually use CWC-- the length of my hair gets conditioner, the scalp gets shampoo. Then I do my regular condition after that. I almost never use shampoo on my length.

Milady_DeWinter
October 18th, 2018, 06:00 AM
It requires a gif answer:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/352/470/1b5.gif

I wouldn't put any of those on the scalp either :) but I love using conditioner, and then sealing the moisture with oil, being avocado oil my fav :)

Zesty
October 18th, 2018, 03:58 PM
It requires a gif answer:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/352/470/1b5.gif

I wouldn't put any of those on the scalp either :) but I love using conditioner, and then sealing the moisture with oil, being avocado oil my fav :)

Milady OMG. :rollin: Both accurate and hilarious. (Love that movie.)

mwallingford
October 19th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Nothing really to add here, but that gif is hilarious! And I agree, that movie's the bomb.

My scalp has been super dry on the front portion near the hairline so I've been putting conditioner on that part of my scalp while I shower and it's doing better since then but I'm still experimenting. But in general I would avoid the rest of your scalp just in case in causes increased hair shedding