PDA

View Full Version : In what ways has caring for your hair helped your overall health

MotherofPhoenix
October 12th, 2018, 08:02 PM
As stated in the title, I'm curious in what ways has your hair care journey helped in your life journey. This can be physically, mentally, or spiritually. I've only been at it for a short while so I'm especially curious about the OGs.

As a reference I'll share my thoughts. For one, physcially speaking, I drink more water and take in more vitamins. I also learned how to properly hydrate with oil and it's helped my skin tremendously Mentally, I'm learning to take my natural texture as it is and try not to change it. Spiritually this has helped me to accept my self and others for what we are and not try to force things. Its has also taught me patience lol.

So curious what you ladies and gents have to share about your journeys.

shaluwm_agape
October 12th, 2018, 08:39 PM
I'm honestly still on the road to seeing what it has done for me but at the moment
my patience is a little better
learning about my body as a whole & what it needs to be healthy. I have very sensitive skin & scalp so realizing everything in the body is related.
I have also realized how much your mind has an effect on the body.
Learning to love myself
Changing what I don't like.
And beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder

AutobotsAttack
October 12th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Maybe it’s just how I view things, but I’ve stopped viewing my hair as a catalyst to take care of myself. I do it despite my hair to be honest.

Nothing has beat just hard training in the gym, and making better food choices. I find it to be the opposite. In what ways has caring for my own body, helped my overall hair growth.

At least that’s how I view it.

leayellena
October 12th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I eat more fish instead of pork because "it's for my hair". caring for my hair is meditation than anything else. it really helps me release the stress.

Longlegs
October 13th, 2018, 12:01 AM
I don't think it has made a huge difference, I take vitamins now, and I suppose that by eliminating some haircare products and using more natural ingredients I have cut down on my exposure to toxins and chemicals.
mentally I worry less about other peoples opinions, if some people think a woman over 40 should'nt have long hair that's their problem. I'm happy with the way my hair looks, just impatiently waiting for it to grow.

shaluwm_agape
October 13th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Love your comment AutobotsAttack! So true

Joules
October 13th, 2018, 02:20 AM
I don't think I've ever cared about what other people thought of me and tortured my hair to please everyone. Sure, straightening it was fun, but I stopped doing it without any second thoughts. I don't think I expose myself to less chemicals and toxins now, because shampoos aren't toxic, I understood it even back when I was trying to use natural products. I never smoked not because it would harm my hair long-term, but because it's disgusting to me...you get the jist. The only physical benefit of my hair care is that I started taking supplements regularly, and it has done wonders for my energy levels and nervous system.

There's also psychological side of it, and I would say it's more prominent than physical. There were moments when taking care of my hair was the only thing that still interested me and kept me going/stopped me from becoming a mess that can't even get up from their bed. Spending good 15-20 minutes in a hair care isle of any store is a great way for me to de-stress :D so yeah, it's like my safety blanket.

*Wednesday*
October 13th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Maybe it’s just how I view things, but I’ve stopped viewing my hair as a catalyst to take care of myself. I do it despite my hair to be honest.

This is very true.

Be your best you now. With or without hair goals. We all come from different and disparate lives. However if your hair helps you awaken this, then your hair is your teacher and learn.

illicitlizard
October 13th, 2018, 05:31 AM
I don't think my haircare has really worked to improve my health because it's not something that needs lots of daily care at this stage.
Skincare and fulfilling relationships have done more for my health than my hair has. Striving to be the best I can be, getting support from others and having some sort of routine self care has definitely made me feel better internally.
Physically, nothing much has changed. I do like myself more so I'm not eating as much 'junk' food which is probably helping, but the catalyst, again, wasn't my hair. It may affect my hair positively though, who can say!

MusicalSpoons
October 13th, 2018, 06:16 AM
What an interesting question. Can I ask, what is/are 'the OGs' referenced in the first post?

Learning about ingredients and how moisturising actually works has really benefited my skin care, and a few niggles I used to have about my hair and scalp have been mostly solved. Nothing huge, but I always knew I didn't have dandruff yet didn't know why my scalp was dry, itchy and flaky (it was dehydrated). I really appreciate solving that, and I'm enjoying being able to learn new styles, use different accessories and not get bored. Appreciating that one head can have a variety of different hairs has helped calm trichotillomania urges, which goes hand-in-hand with being less anxious.

Ironically my physical health has nosedived in the time I've been learning about and caring for my hair, so it's been good to have an interest that will still show progress regardless of how much or little energy I can give to it :D even when I'm trying out new products or new methods, or trying to pin down a good routine, nothing actually *has* to be done except shampoo my scalp and condition the lengths if I get them wet. Everything else is ultimately optional - yes, there's a lot more in my usual routine that I feel is necessary to keep my hair in as good condition as I can, but if I don't do them my hair is not going to stop growing or fall out :grin:

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 07:05 AM
Health? Well... Not so much. I have a disability + chronic nerve pain (ETA forgot I have Menière's on top of this (recent years)). So... I'm not "healthy".

With my food, I was (most) always healthy. For sure the last few decades.

And vitamins have become a staple (because of real health issues). I just take an overall multi, and I'm sure my hair benefits. I still get 1/2 inch growth a month. So... it's... normal.

I've never been a sweet tooth or a snacker (yes when I was a kid). But not lately.

I think I'm doing... average. :shrug:

TreesOfEternity
October 13th, 2018, 07:06 AM
For me, taking care of my hair has make me pay more attention to my skin care for instance. The more I care about some aspects of my life, the better I am at improving new ones.
Also, as someone who butchered their hair as self harm, taking care of my hair is an incredible act of self love and acceptance. I get that it’s just hair, but due to experiences I have had in the past for me it’s much more than that, it really is a reflection of my inner self and wether I’m at peace with myself or not.

MotherofPhoenix
October 13th, 2018, 07:55 AM
For me, taking care of my hair has make me pay more attention to my skin care for instance. The more I care about some aspects of my life, the better I am at improving new ones.
Also, as someone who butchered their hair as self harm, taking care of my hair is an incredible act of self love and acceptance. I get that it’s just hair, but due to experiences I have had in the past for me it’s much more than that, it really is a reflection of my inner self and wether I’m at peace with myself or not.

I have the same sentiments about my hair journey. Learning the difference between self care and self love and applying that to other parts of my life. Im glad youve found a muse <3

MotherofPhoenix
October 13th, 2018, 07:59 AM
What an interesting question. Can I ask, what is/are 'the OGs' referenced in the first post?

Learning about ingredients and how moisturising actually works has really benefited my skin care, and a few niggles I used to have about my hair and scalp have been mostly solved. Nothing huge, but I always knew I didn't have dandruff yet didn't know why my scalp was dry, itchy and flaky (it was dehydrated). I really appreciate solving that, and I'm enjoying being able to learn new styles, use different accessories and not get bored. Appreciating that one head can have a variety of different hairs has helped calm trichotillomania urges, which goes hand-in-hand with being less anxious.

Ironically my physical health has nosedived in the time I've been learning about and caring for my hair, so it's been good to have an interest that will still show progress regardless of how much or little energy I can give to it :D even when I'm trying out new products or new methods, or trying to pin down a good routine, nothing actually *has* to be done except shampoo my scalp and condition the lengths if I get them wet. Everything else is ultimately optional - yes, there's a lot more in my usual routine that I feel is necessary to keep my hair in as good condition as I can, but if I don't do them my hair is not going to stop growing or fall out :grin:

OG is a term where I'm from that equates to someone whos been doing it for a long time or from the beginning. Its just slang. So in this reference its people who have reached their goals or teminal length or what have you.

Ylva
October 13th, 2018, 09:01 AM
My healthy hair journey has lasted for about a year now, so I guess I'm pretty new to it, but I've had long hair (~waist-hip) for a really long time. Before I started to take proper care of my hair, I had already embarked on a healthier lifestyle journey, but that I try to maximise my hair growth and health has definitely inspired me to strive for healthier habits even when I my motivation is low otherwise. Looking into the science of haircare has taught me a lot of things about how the human body works and also to be more sceptical of marketing claims. My hair has helped me believe in doing my own thing in the face of ever-changing trends, and that in turn has brough some relaxation as I don't need to stress about being fashionable or anything like that. Not that I ever did in particular, but it's even clearer now that I don't have such a strong style like I used to when I was younger.

Ramble ramble. Interesting question, by the way.

MotherofPhoenix
October 13th, 2018, 12:41 PM

Nothing has beat just hard training in the gym, and making better food choices. I find it to be the opposite. In what ways has caring for my own body, helped my overall hair growth.

At least that’s how I view it.

Thats a great way to be.

I guess for me i look at everything as a spiritual experience and a way to learn. I always believe there is a reason im on a certain path. I guess for me working out and walking and caring for my hair are on the same material level. Its the jouney, what i learn that brings me to my higher self.

But that's great, you seem to be at a really good place. Its inspiring.

MotherofPhoenix
October 13th, 2018, 12:49 PM
My healthy hair journey has lasted for about a year now, so I guess I'm pretty new to it, but I've had long hair (~waist-hip) for a really long time. Before I started to take proper care of my hair, I had already embarked on a healthier lifestyle journey, but that I try to maximise my hair growth and health has definitely inspired me to strive for healthier habits even when I my motivation is low otherwise. Looking into the science of haircare has taught me a lot of things about how the human body works and also to be more sceptical of marketing claims. My hair has helped me believe in doing my own thing in the face of ever-changing trends, and that in turn has brough some relaxation as I don't need to stress about being fashionable or anything like that. Not that I ever did in particular, but it's even clearer now that I don't have such a strong style like I used to when I was younger.

Ramble ramble. Interesting question, by the way.

The science of hair care has been really interesting for me as well! I love looking at microscopic pictures of hair. So much lies beneath what our eyes can see. So magical. Yes, being able to better discern truth from BS is great! Most things are bogus marketing claims lol.

Your hair is gorgeous by the way.

Ylva
October 13th, 2018, 12:58 PM
The science of hair care has been really interesting for me as well! I love looking at microscopic pictures of hair. So much lies beneath what our eyes can see. So magical. Yes, being able to better discern truth from BS is great! Most things are bogus marketing claims lol.

Your hair is gorgeous by the way.

Thank you kindly! :flower:

Zesty
October 13th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Well, I'm no lapushka, but I might count as an OG? :hmm: :lol:

Anyway, my hair is so meaningful to me in terms of mental health. I have bipolar disorder, which runs strongly in my family, and my downs can be pretty deep. My hair gives me something to care for and focus on and is one of the few things that brings me joy, period. There are other hobbies I have, but they can be frustrating. I may sometimes nitpick myself on the forums, but I love my hair. It makes me feel good. I love the community here and other places on the internet, I love taking pictures and fussing over it and the challenge of trying new hairstyles. I love all the beauty I get to see, on myself or others. It might seem shallow, but I will not apologize for enjoying it, because it's gotten me through some really tough times, y'all. (And thank you to everyone on here for engaging with me, I appreciate all of you. :grouphug:)

Okay, blah blah blah, I'm getting sentimental. Suffice to say that hair is A+ for me psychologically. I'm not spiritual and my hair doesn't motivate me to work on my physical health really (though I am doing better about that lately), but it is a comfort to me when my mind is a dark place.

Very interesting question, thanks MotherofPhoenix, for making the thread.

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Well, I'm no lapushka, but I might count as an OG? :hmm: :lol:

See, I knew I blabbed too much. ;) :lol: Yes Zesty, you are an OG!

I was surprised to hear you have bipolar. I guess we all have something to deal with. I have my disability, chronic nerve pain + Menière in latest years. It's not easy dealing with mental or physical issues at all. I would even go as far as saying mental issues can be far worse as they affect the personality and person the most.

You take good care of your hair now!!! Keep it up front in your mind and maybe you will have less bad days.

Good luck to you! :flower:

lithostoic
October 13th, 2018, 02:44 PM
I pay more attention to self-care. Caring for my hair has opened a pathway in my brain that has made other self-care second nature.

Zesty
October 13th, 2018, 02:59 PM
See, I knew I blabbed too much. ;) :lol: Yes Zesty, you are an OG!

I was surprised to hear you have bipolar. I guess we all have something to deal with. I have my disability, chronic nerve pain + Menière in latest years. It's not easy dealing with mental or physical issues at all. I would even go as far as saying mental issues can be far worse as they affect the personality and person the most.

You take good care of your hair now!!! Keep it up front in your mind and maybe you will have less bad days.

Good luck to you! :flower:

Thank you. :blossom: I think I come across as more cheerful here because it's my happy place. Anyway, I am blessed in many other ways so I try to focus on that. You take care of yourself as well!

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Thank you. :blossom: I think I come across as more cheerful here because it's my happy place. Anyway, I am blessed in many other ways so I try to focus on that. You take care of yourself as well!

Thank you Zesty. I will try my best! :) :flower:

Isn't it surprising that so much of us look for a sense of happiness and comfort in caring for our hair? :)

sophia_
October 13th, 2018, 08:11 PM
I started exercising regularly at the beginning of the year as a new year's resolution, and my hair has grown so much more than it usually does, which is the one thing that makes me actually stick with it, lol. It's funny how I never cared about any of the other benefits of exercise, I'm only motivated to do things that help my hair, lol.

Maple
October 14th, 2018, 02:26 AM
Paying more attention to my hair also helped me to pay more attention to my health overall (drinking more water, doing more sports). Also I learned to accept my hair as it is concerning color and texture and therfore also learned to like me overall appearance more. I'm happier now as when I cared less.

victorian girl
October 14th, 2018, 04:41 AM
It is an extra reason for me to just eat more (I'm quite seriously underweight, but it's getting better), take Omega-3 supplements. Also the very process of detangling, brushing, massaging, oiling, etc. is very relaxing, when done with proper care, and it helps my anxiety a lot.