PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff from over washing?

TwilightMermaid
October 12th, 2018, 10:08 AM
At the moment I am trying to only wash my hair once a week which has been going well other than having an itchy flaky scalp by the third day. It's been relentless but I'm trying to power through. From my knowledge I know that can be a normal reaction to prolonging washes, but now I'm thinking that it might be caused by the two weeks I was washing my hair daily with silicone free but sulfate s&c about a month ago. Since then my hair has not been the same, by the second I get horrible flakes and an itch, and the few times I go to the third day I get one or two clogged follicles, which I also have right now. I know it can't be from my shampoo bar because just three months ago I was using the same one and my hair was perfectly fine. I'm really wondering if I got dandruff from the daily washing. Previously I never got any flakes no matter how long I postponed a wash. I had even gone water only for four months, but that's when I lived in a soft water environment. Now I'm thinking, could it also be from the hard water?

nycelle
October 12th, 2018, 10:10 AM
It could be from anything. Water change, weather change, hormones.. who knows. The first thing I would try is a dandruff shampoo and see if it helps.

TwilightMermaid
October 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM
It could be from anything. Water change, weather change, hormones.. who knows. The first thing I would try is a dandruff shampoo and see if it helps.
Thanks! Might as well try😀

akurah
October 12th, 2018, 12:06 PM
If you have the resources, go to a doctor. If you don’t, I would wash with anti dandruff shampoos either going forward, or for at least a few washes to see if it clears up.

lithostoic
October 12th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Are you using sulfates still? I could never stretch washes until I switched to sulfate free.

TwilightMermaid
October 12th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Are you using sulfates still? I could never stretch washes until I switched to sulfate free.
No I'm using a sulphate free goat milk soap bar that is very gentle. Of course a soap is still soap, but it is not very stripping.

lithostoic
October 12th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Ooh I like goat milk! I'm not sure what the problem could be but I hope you find a solution soon.

Joules
October 12th, 2018, 01:49 PM
TwilightMermaid, is your scalp oily?

lapushka
October 12th, 2018, 02:45 PM
TwilightMermaid, is your scalp oily?

If it is you might actually need the sulfates on every wash and the sulfate-free might be too gentle (often there is a delayed effect there). In any case... Once you have the flakes, you really need medicated shampoo or an anti-dandruff shampoo to clear it up.

I would go see a doctor/dermatologist if you can!

Joules
October 12th, 2018, 02:54 PM
TwilightMermaid, why I'm asking you this is because I want to know how long your scalp usually marinates in its own oil before you wash it off. We all have a small amount of fungus living on our scalp, and it loves sebum. If you don't wash your scalp properly, this fungus can start growing. Plus from what you've written you could have messed things up with going water-only for months, then washing with strong sulfates every day for some reason, then using soap only once a week (is this soap ph-balanced for hair? Or is it just a regular soap that you decided to use on your scalp?). The fact that things used to be ok doesn't matter, it takes time to mess up a healthy organ.

Itchy flaky scalp sounds to me like malassezia (fungus) overgrowth. Another symptom of it could be tender follicles. I vote for a dandruff shampoo as often as your scalp needs it and a doctor's appointment.

If you have had some sort of a reaction to washing with sulfates every day, it would have stopped the moment you switched to a different product. So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with it, at least not directly.

MusicalSpoons
October 12th, 2018, 03:12 PM
If you have had some sort of a reaction to washing with sulfates every day, it would have stopped the moment you switched to a different product. So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with it, at least not directly.

Not necessarily. Mine took months to recover properly after finding a gentle enough sulphate-free shampoo (after trying a couple of sulphate-free products that were still too harsh). I recently used a diluted SLES shampoo for clarifying, and a few weeks later I still have one of the bumps that was scabby and is now still healing.

However I do completely agree with the rest of your post. Listening to your scalp is paramount. Just wanted to point out that the quoted part may not always hold true :flower:

lapushka
October 12th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Not necessarily. Mine took months to recover properly after finding a gentle enough sulphate-free shampoo (after trying a couple of sulphate-free products that were still too harsh). I recently used a diluted SLES shampoo for clarifying, and a few weeks later I still have one of the bumps that was scabby and is now still healing.

Yes there is often a delayed reaction to sulfate or sulfate-free washing. I went sulfate-free with Urtekram shampoo years ago, and after washing with it several times (more than a month I'd say), I got a bout of SD. It was no doubt the sulfate-free shampoo, because this one only learns a hard lesson and is stubborn. ;) So I tried it again, and again. Since that time came the realization that I needed sulfates (after of course the issue was resolved with a strong medicated shampoo, Nizoral 2% (prescription strength)).

TwilightMermaid
October 12th, 2018, 10:55 PM
TwilightMermaid, why I'm asking you this is because I want to know how long your scalp usually marinates in its own oil before you wash it off. We all have a small amount of fungus living on our scalp, and it loves sebum. If you don't wash your scalp properly, this fungus can start growing. Plus from what you've written you could have messed things up with going water-only for months, then washing with strong sulfates every day for some reason, then using soap only once a week (is this soap ph-balanced for hair? Or is it just a regular soap that you decided to use on your scalp?). The fact that things used to be ok doesn't matter, it takes time to mess up a healthy organ.

Itchy flaky scalp sounds to me like malassezia (fungus) overgrowth. Another symptom of it could be tender follicles. I vote for a dandruff shampoo as often as your scalp needs it and a doctor's appointment.

It is oily and I will definitely be trying the dandruff shampoo! Turns out you shouldn't go all out in stretching washes, huh?

TwilightMermaid
October 12th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Yes there is often a delayed reaction to sulfate or sulfate-free washing. I went sulfate-free with Urtekram shampoo years ago, and after washing with it several times (more than a month I'd say), I got a bout of SD. It was no doubt the sulfate-free shampoo, because this one only learns a hard lesson and is stubborn. ;) So I tried it again, and again. Since that time came the realization that I needed sulfates (after of course the issue was resolved with a strong medicated shampoo, Nizoral 2% (prescription strength)).
For a long time I've been hearing sulphate shampoo as the equivalent of trans fat for hair, but now I'm thinking it's really only a shampoo and if it works, it works:shrug::) First I'll use the head and shoulders laying around and if that doesn't seem to do anything I'll turn to the doctor.

Joules
October 13th, 2018, 01:32 AM

However I do completely agree with the rest of your post. Listening to your scalp is paramount. Just wanted to point out that the quoted part may not always hold true :flower:

That's good to know! I've heard (and experienced myself) only about allergic reactions that went away after first washing, or at least major symptoms did so.

It is oily and I will definitely be trying the dandruff shampoo! Turns out you shouldn't go all out in stretching washes, huh?

Yep. It's not good at all. Sebum production is controlled by hormones, so having to wash more often than once a week is totally normal. Even washing once a day is normal. Shampoo is just shampoo, it's been vilified a lot over the past few years, but I believe we shouldn't trust anything but scientific research, and it says sulfates are safe. Some people can be allergic to certain surfactants (just like with everything else in this world, everything can be an allergen), but in general shampoo won't make you go bald :)

ReptilianFeline
October 13th, 2018, 06:52 AM
I'm no expert, I only speak of my own experience.
I used to have dandruff. I tried fungal shampoo as a kid. Didn't help. I tried Head & shoulders, really really bad for me. Made things worse. Tried sulfate free. Got better.

I am now using a no-poo mix and scrub my scalp. I have hard water so my mix is acidic and if not, I rinse with magic water. My scalp has some type of itchy bump spots artound the back of my head, and a spot of dandruff at the front. When I scrub with my no-poo mix I have no dandruff and the bumps go down. No itch for several days, sometimes, depending on the weather, no itch for a week.

I have tried, and sometimes will use, Urtekram childrens shampoo. I need magic water after it and can use it on its own once and with a scub, twice in a row (I wash once a week). I also tried Lactacyd shower cream with a pH of 3.5. It's too harsh on its own, but if I add a little (teaspoon) to my no-poo mix I don't need to rinse with magic water.

The way I see it... many chemicals in shampoos might be too harsh for your scalp, I know that is the case for me. I don't alwyas think it's the sulfates, it might be something else. I'm not saying that the answer is a no-poo mix, but fixing things take time.

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 07:11 AM
For a long time I've been hearing sulphate shampoo as the equivalent of trans fat for hair, but now I'm thinking it's really only a shampoo and if it works, it works:shrug::) First I'll use the head and shoulders laying around and if that doesn't seem to do anything I'll turn to the doctor.

I think that would be the smart thing to do! :thumbsup:

TwilightMermaid
October 17th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Weirdly enough, it was the shampoo bar! Scalps can change on a dime from so many different things that it's not too much of a surprise. I'm going to wash my hair tomorrow with head and shoulders. Today I washed with V05 kiwi clarifier and it's still a little itchy so I think my scalp needs a more moisturizing shampoo overall but to fix my scalp I will use a dandruff shampoo first. And does anyone know how to remove flakes? My hair stopped a lot of flaking but there is so much left over and it might because it can't come off of the the curl.

lapushka
October 17th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Normally if I have flakes, and rather large ones at that, the simple act of washing / letting the Nizoral (2%) sit and then rinsing, takes all the flakes with it. A dandruff shampoo should do that same thing!

TwilightMermaid
October 17th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Normally if I have flakes, and rather large ones at that, the simple act of washing / letting the Nizoral (2%) sit and then rinsing, takes all the flakes with it. A dandruff shampoo should do that same thing!
I'm hoping that I can just wash them out but I will also oil in an attempt to make it easier to come out when I shampoo☺️

lapushka
October 17th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I'm hoping that I can just wash them out but I will also oil in an attempt to make it easier to come out when I shampoo☺️

If it is SD and not just dandruff (no idea, have you seen a dermatologist for it yet), I would not put oil on the scalp (or conditioner for that matter).

Jo Ann
October 17th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Possibly an ACV rinse (or a white vinegar rinse, if the dandruff is really bad) will help?

A 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water (or a 1/3 mix of white vinegar and water, respectively--one part white vinegar to three parts water) might work to calm your scalp down and get rid of the flaking.

Be sure to work it through to your scalp, and let it sit for a few minutes, before rinsing.

Arciela
October 17th, 2018, 09:51 PM
I had a similar issue, cowashed and went sulfate free. I tried so many things but randomly started using head and shoulders and my itchy scalp went away. I thought it was odd because a year ago shampoo burned my scalp when I used any kind so I had to cowash. Then for the past months my head has been super itchy...the dandruff shampoo fixed it up fast.

TwilightMermaid
October 18th, 2018, 10:01 AM
So I didn't have time this morning to wash but I will definitely tonight😉 What's Sebhorric Dermatitis anyway? I thought it was like a dandruff like condition but just a little different. Is there also something else I might have? My scalp doesn't get oily and usually I was only washing when I had longer hair and no dandruff because I didn't feel like refreshing my curls. It's not even oily too much just a little flaky and itchy about a day after washing. And now Im on third day hair of my kiwi V05 sulphate and it's not itchy??

lapushka
October 18th, 2018, 04:03 PM
So I didn't have time this morning to wash but I will definitely tonight�� What's Sebhorric Dermatitis anyway? I thought it was like a dandruff like condition but just a little different. Is there also something else I might have? My scalp doesn't get oily and usually I was only washing when I had longer hair and no dandruff because I didn't feel like refreshing my curls. It's not even oily too much just a little flaky and itchy about a day after washing. And now Im on third day hair of my kiwi V05 sulphate and it's not itchy??

Have you been to a dermatologist for this yet, because I would have a doctor have a look at your scalp when it's particularly bad to see what s/he thinks. I waited to go see a dermatologist for many years, and I still regret not going sooner. I used to think my scalp was dry, hence the flakes, so I oiled it, which is exactly what you can't do with SD! The fungus will feed on oils, your own or added oils. My dad has SD too, and also has normal/oily hair in latest years (used to be oily). I thought the flakes were from dry scalp - yeah: no.

There is an entire SD thread here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045