PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP-Serious Hair Breakage - Menopause?

Beverly
October 11th, 2018, 01:04 PM
I have been reading this forum from top to bottom. I hope to get comforting advice.

Problem: Sudden hair loss and a lot of breakage

I have now started menopause and think there is a connection. Last year my last period was in Sept. I noticed more hair starting to show in the drain. I then started back up in January of this year and noticed I was not losing as much hair when I washed (happy). Fast forward to now. My last period was end of June this year and I'm pretty sure I am done for good this time. About the middle of Sept. I started losing a lot more hair when I washed and when I brush my hair a lot is breaking off. It is all over the counter. Every time I brush. I try to wash my hair only twice a week. I am scared to death to wash my hair and panic when I have to brush my hair each day. I use a wide tooth comb and try to be as gentle as possible.

My hair has thinned soooo much over just this past month. So upset and depressed.

I went to the doctor this past Friday. My thyroid was in range and blood work good except for a couple of things a little out of range that point to nutrition. Maybe that and menopause collided??? I have been very busy and missed a lot of meals or didn't eat supper until 9pm. I know my nutrition has not been good. I lost about 12 pounds since the beginning of the year.
I was desperate and watched YouTube videos and read everything to the point of confusion. So happy I found this forum to talk to real people.

On 9/23/18, I started taking Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin & Nails Gummies 2500 mcg hoping for the miracle cure. The website said if taking a vitamin then alternate. So, I stopped taking my Centrum daily vitamin for a couple of weeks and just took the gummies. Maybe not taking my vitamin tweaked the blood work a little. Anyway, the doctor said I could take both. I also started to take a little more calcium and vitamin D to add to my vitamin. I read where you need protein so I started drinking a boost protein 30g every night then I read where too much protein can cause breakage. All the supplements are scary. Those aren't regulated by the FDA. People can get in trouble trying to supplement themselves.

So....this morning was hair wash day and I was ok with the hair in the drain but on the countertop when I was grooming was horrifying. More that I have been seeing. It is not falling out. No bald spots it is breaking near the top of my head and halfway down. You think....Oh my God I'm not going to have any hair left. It has been doing this for the past month. My hair length is above my bar strap. I use to reach back and touch the end of my hair so I don't know if my beauty shop lady trimmed it there or it too has been breaking. I have tried to use different shampoos, leaving conditioner on longer but nothing is changing. I watched YouTube videos of PURA D'OR Shampoo & Conditioner that is suppose to reduces hair thinning but then it said most of the Amazon reviews were fake. The videos were from people that were sent the shampoo from the company so I guess it would be easy to lie. Should I use a volumizing shampoo Brand?)

Trying to eat better but the constant worry takes away my appetite.
Taking any kind of hormone is out of the question. Need a natural way.
Will continue my vitamin (but I was taking it before this started so is it Menopause?)
Will it stop and when? If I knew I could hang in there.

Help

Alibran
October 11th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Did he check your vitamin B12 level? Even if it was checked, and in range, it needs to be well in range (eg. 500, if the bottom of the range is 200) to avoid risk of deficiency. B12 deficiency becomes much more common when a woman reaches menopause, and it often causes hair loss.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I wish I could comfort you, but my mom went from about ii to i/ii to i after menopause. She lost thickness after pregnancy that she failed to regain as well.

I would focus on eating right. That is the main source of health & good healthy hair. No matter how worried you are, if you don't eat right it is only going to get worse instead of better.

Do this and re-evaluate in 3-6 months' time.

I would also continue to take the vitamins as per what the doctor told you.

Good luck.

Ylva
October 11th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I'm not expert in this field, but perhaps it has to do with hormonal changes. Have you brought up the hair loss with your doctor to maybe figure out some way of balancing the hormones as naturally as possible? Sorry if I'm totally off, I don't know so much about menopause yet.

Beverly
October 11th, 2018, 02:04 PM
I'm not expert in this field, but perhaps it has to do with hormonal changes. Have you brought up the hair loss with your doctor to maybe figure out some way of balancing the hormones as naturally as possible? Sorry if I'm totally off, I don't know so much about menopause yet.

He just said it was probably secondary to menopause. My hair is breaking horribly not falling out from the root or it could be doing that too. It is MUCH thinner that one month ago. I just need it to stop. I am frightened to touch my hair but I have a job and have to wash my hair and look decent.

Ylva
October 11th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Maybe you just need to give your body time to adjust to the changes.

Is it breaking from further down than when your menopause began? Sorry if that's an unclear question.

Beverly
October 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Maybe you just need to give your body time to adjust to the changes.

Is it breaking from further down than when your menopause began? Sorry if that's an unclear question.

Not sure what you are asking but before menopause I just lost hair like normal when washing. I like to lean over the tub to wash my hair and I can see any hair loss in the drain.
Now it is more in the drain PLUS hair all over the counter when I am fixing my hair. It is breaking at all lengths. I have some on the top of my head probably 6 inches long, some broke off by my ears half the length of my hair and I don't know if some of the ends broke. Scared to touch my hair. I go between washing as long as I can to avoid any more breaking. It has to end at some point. :-(

Lady Stardust
October 11th, 2018, 02:52 PM
I don’t have experience of this myself but a friend has told me that her hair became really dry with menopause, so I think that could well be the issue.

I’m sorry that you’re going through this, it’s obviously causing you a lot of distress. There’s a lot of information on this site that could be helpful - how to add and retain moisture, ways to minimise breakage. There’s a great deal of moral support too.

I think it would really help if you could get your nutrition to an optimal level. That’s easier said than done, but maybe you could add in some healthy snacks if you’re going to eat late. It’ll give you a boost. Hair is pretty much the body’s last concern, it will make sure the rest of you is functioning properly first. Your hair will benefit if you eat well.

As for protein - my understanding is that some people can get protein overload from products, and it makes their hair brittle. I don’t think that applies to protein from the diet (but someone please correct me if I’m wrong).

Can you tell us more about your hair type? We can start to help a bit more that way, I think.

ETA: Have you used heat on your hair, or chemicals? Just asking in case there is damage there already which has been made worse by change in hormones.

Dark40
October 11th, 2018, 03:52 PM
It also sounds like to me that you might have a protein and iron deficiency. Has your doctor check your protein and iron levels?

Beverly
October 11th, 2018, 05:33 PM
It also sounds like to me that you might have a protein and iron deficiency. Has your doctor check your protein and iron levels?

I was just looking over my lab reports again and protein was in mid range but my red blood cells were on the low end of normal so I am thinking I might need more iron and a few other things were out of range that I had to look up because I didn’t know what they were. They all pointed to malnutrition so when I was not eating right I really messed myself up. I guess this comes at the same time as the onset of menopause - a head on collision. I am just freaking out and need a quick fix and can’t go one more day of watching my hair break off and fall in the sink. Frightening.

I was hoping I’d come across someone here that went through the same thing and really would like to know if it’s going to stop and if so when. I only got my lab results this past Saturday and I know it’s going to take some time to adjust with getting the proper nutrients I know everybody can understand I want it to stop now. I wonder how long it takes to get your immune system on the right track so if that is it this will stop. If it will take months I won’t have any hair left. I am on information overload and don’t want to take extra supplements and do more harm than good by doing the wrong dosage . I don’t smoke or drink. I take a multivitamin and now extra vitamin C calcium and vitamin D. So I will start making better food choices and exercise. About all I can do I guess. I have been trying different shampoos not the cheap stuff so I don’t know if I need to be moisturizing real good or use a strengthening shampoo instead. Any advice with product names will be appreciated and any other advice you can give I am all ears

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I have not gone through this but the first thing you really need to do is relax. Because stress can increase shedding, and you don't want to add that to everything else. I know it's so much easier said than done but it's an important first step.

Just look after your health, get back on track with eating better, reducing stress, and taking the supplements you need. As your health gets better, and your body adjusts, your hair will stabilise in some form or the other. It is likely it will be thinner than before, but the breakage you're experiencing might slow down.

spidermom
October 11th, 2018, 06:02 PM
O.k., well I can't see that you told us much about your hair care routine. Do you dye it, straighten it, curl it, bleach it, perm it, blow-dry it on hot with a round brush, etc? Anything like that. In my understanding, which is not complete by any means, hair shedding is more related to hormonal issues and hair breaking off is more related to care issues.

Beverly
October 11th, 2018, 08:45 PM
I wear my hair straight with a part down the middle. I wash it 2-3 times a week. I do blow dry so it has body but not curly I put color on it about every 5 weeks to cover gray hair. I have had this exact routine for the past 18 years with no problem so this sudden change has me freaked out. It wasn’t too long ago that I was annoyed that it took so long to dry my hair because it was so thick. I wish I could say that again. I can’t not blow dry it just because of the way it would look if I air dried it. I don’t know if I should find a good strengthening shampoo or a good moisturizing shampoo but I do have good shampoos at the moment just don’t know what direction I should go in

pailin
October 11th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Sounds like this had been stressful, and no wonder it's bothering you. Hormones could be the cause, especially if it's falling out. But I agree with Spidermom that breakage sounds more care-related. Maybe you haven't changed anything, but what about water? If you moved that might cause a problem (ie hard water). Also, if your scalp has become drier, that could make your hair act dry- could it maybe need more moisture than it used to?

*Wednesday*
October 12th, 2018, 05:28 AM
You are pre-menapausal (secondary to meno)? You are not officially in meno until you have not had a period for a year. Normally a woman may gradually lose hair through the years in meno, I believed. Breakage is entirely different.

Have you ever taken B Complex? A multi? Maybe you need a mix of more vitamins. Sometimes SHN aren't enough. Many vitamins work together. Also vitamin C is an absorbic acid which help other vitamins be absorbed more efficiently.

Please take as a suggestion for further research. Consult with your physician.

lapushka
October 12th, 2018, 06:27 AM
I think the nutrition is key here. Losing 12 pounds due to not eating right can wreak havoc on the body. It can't be stressed *enough* how important food is. Hair is on the last of the list to receive nutrients, so it all, if not provided right, will go to your internal organs.

How's your food intake right now? And how are you doing with your vitamins?

It can take up to a year after the situation has been set straight to see a difference. This all goes extremely slowly, I'm afraid. :flower:

spidermom
October 12th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I wear my hair straight with a part down the middle. I wash it 2-3 times a week. I do blow dry so it has body but not curly I put color on it about every 5 weeks to cover gray hair. I have had this exact routine for the past 18 years with no problem so this sudden change has me freaked out. It wasn’t too long ago that I was annoyed that it took so long to dry my hair because it was so thick. I wish I could say that again. I can’t not blow dry it just because of the way it would look if I air dried it. I don’t know if I should find a good strengthening shampoo or a good moisturizing shampoo but I do have good shampoos at the moment just don’t know what direction I should go in

This sudden change could be related to a change in the formulation of the color you use as well as things already mentioned or something not thought of yet. In general, you're going to want to use more conditioner than shampoo, and keep the conditioner away from your scalp. I keep a squirt bottle with a pointy nozzle at the top and dilute my shampoo for washing most of the time. I think it helps to keep my hair from drying out.

CrowningGlory
October 12th, 2018, 01:01 PM

I had hair loss due to low ferritin (and possibly approaching menopause). I did not, however, have hair breaking off. I think nutrition could contribute (I imagine it would weaken the hair strand) and menopause could cause the hair to be drier, but I also think you need to look to your hair care routine. Could the dye have overlapped last time or have been left on too long or some other factor? Are you using the most gentle heat setting when you blow dry? I have found that my hair has become more fragile with the changes that have occurred in my body and that I have to be more carefuly with hair care routines now than in the past (my greys are drier and become damaged more easily). Note, too, that any change in nutrition may take months to show up, and will also take months (or in my case, years) to rectify.

I do know how distressing this is, as do others here. I hope you find an answer soon.

Beverly
October 13th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Sounds like this had been stressful, and no wonder it's bothering you. Hormones could be the cause, especially if it's falling out. But I agree with Spidermom that breakage sounds more care-related. Maybe you haven't changed anything, but what about water? If you moved that might cause a problem (ie hard water). Also, if your scalp has become drier, that could make your hair act dry- could it maybe need more moisture than it used to?
Thank you for your reply but I lived here for decades so I’m pretty sure it is not a water change. I don’t think my scalp is drier. It has always just been the ends through the years so I try to condition good and get the ends trimmed a little as needed usually every 10 weeks but seeing more hair in the drain and long strands in the sink when styling has me sick to my stomach. I know I have to reduce stress but as soon as my eyes open it is on my mind constantly.

enting
October 13th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Can you blow dry on a cool setting? or do you already do that? All that breakage sounds like something changed, either your hair changed what it responds well to, or the dye changed its formula, or something. I wonder if a nice deep moisture treatment might help. Your scalp may not feel any drier, but it sounds like your hair is acting brittle. That might mean that it needs more moisture, but it could also mean that it need more protein (applied externally). It might need both.

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 03:00 PM
How's your food habits now, OP? Any change in that.

It can take a long long time to see any changes after your dietary habits are back on point, and it may not be breakage you're seeing, but just more shedding. It is fall, but by the sound of it it is more than that.

lunalocks
October 14th, 2018, 04:55 PM
I had hair changes with menopause: thinning and texture changes. The thinning was gradual. I put a pencil over one ear and it fell out. I hadn't done that for years but years ago it stayed right in the hair behind my ear. Also when I rolled it up in soft curlers, something I do about once a year, it took less curlers. That was my only clue, really didn't look any different and then the fall out stopped. Of course all that happened before I was ever measuring my pony width. And I had texture changes. My once nearly perfectly straight hair started to get kinky (first a stripe in the back that spread to each side and around the front. That stripe continues to be slightly more wavy than the rest), and the silvers came in VERY kinky. I now have almost spirals when I air dry. Also, I have pretty significant sheds in the Fall, some years more than others. This was a bad one, with a handful of hair lost every day for almost a month and hair hair everywhere. It seems to have stopped now.

It could be menopause or it could be as Spidermom suggested a change in your coloring product. Exercise and good diet always improves hair growth and health, too.

Dark40
October 16th, 2018, 11:26 AM
I was just looking over my lab reports again and protein was in mid range but my red blood cells were on the low end of normal so I am thinking I might need more iron and a few other things were out of range that I had to look up because I didn’t know what they were. They all pointed to malnutrition so when I was not eating right I really messed myself up. I guess this comes at the same time as the onset of menopause - a head on collision. I am just freaking out and need a quick fix and can’t go one more day of watching my hair break off and fall in the sink. Frightening.

I was hoping I’d come across someone here that went through the same thing and really would like to know if it’s going to stop and if so when. I only got my lab results this past Saturday and I know it’s going to take some time to adjust with getting the proper nutrients I know everybody can understand I want it to stop now. I wonder how long it takes to get your immune system on the right track so if that is it this will stop. If it will take months I won’t have any hair left. I am on information overload and don’t want to take extra supplements and do more harm than good by doing the wrong dosage . I don’t smoke or drink. I take a multivitamin and now extra vitamin C calcium and vitamin D. So I will start making better food choices and exercise. About all I can do I guess. I have been trying different shampoos not the cheap stuff so I don’t know if I need to be moisturizing real good or use a strengthening shampoo instead. Any advice with product names will be appreciated and any other advice you can give I am all ears

Ok, Yes it you may be low iron deficiency. But, I've read on google that people that are going through menopause or that has gone through it don't require as much iron as younger people that hasn't gone through it. Yes, you are doing the right thing making better choices with better foods and exercise. Also, make sure you keeping your hair moisturized with heavy duty moisturizing conditioners and oils. The best heavy duty moisturizing conditioner I use weekly is, "Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream." That really keeps my hair soft and well-moisturized!! And, I don't have any issues with hair loss or shedding. Plus, I do protein treatments as well! I use this conditioner called, "ORS Replenishing Conditioner," as my protein treatment. You might also want to invest in some hair, skin, and nails vitamins. I take high blood pressure medicaion and anti-depressants, and they both make my hair shed. The multivitamins and the hair, skin, and nails vitamins helps to slow down the shedding!

Beverly
October 17th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Thank you all for your nice comments. I am starting to eat better after worrying sick over it which made me lose my appetite. I am trying pureology hydrate shampoo and tonight I will put on the strength cure to super condition it so I will see if that doesn’t make it look a little better. I will also try the ones Dark40 suggested. I think this hair breakage was all due to my lack of good nutrition which my blood work confirmed and it didn’t have anything to do with my last hair color because this started before the last time I got my color. I am sure heading into menopause doesn’t help the situation I also have started a B complex vitamin along with my multivitamin which the pharmacist said was OK to take together and a hair skin and nail gummy so I guess time will tell. This is a great place and I am glad I found all of you

Doreen
October 18th, 2018, 12:17 AM
I have not gone through this but the first thing you really need to do is relax. Because stress can increase shedding, and you don't want to add that to everything else. I know it's so much easier said than done but it's an important first step.

I agree with this. I had some stressful events in 2014 and ended up losing a lot of hair. I know it's hard to force yourself not to worry, but if you find thoughts going down that path of fretting over it, try to distract yourself with something else. Definitely easier said than done. I haven't gone through menopause so don't have anything to say on that, but I'm wishing you the best, Beverly! Hopefully your new routine will help it re-grow. :heartbeat:

Beverly
October 18th, 2018, 01:30 AM
I agree with this. I had some stressful events in 2014 and ended up losing a lot of hair. I know it's hard to force yourself not to worry, but if you find thoughts going down that path of fretting over it, try to distract yourself with something else. Definitely easier said than done. I haven't gone through menopause so don't have anything to say on that, but I'm wishing you the best, Beverly! Hopefully your new routine will help it re-grow. :heartbeat:
I recently had quite a bit of stress mostly job related but definitely not the most stressful time of my life. All I can say is if I knew this was going to be the result I sure would’ve been eating better and getting more sleep. Such a scary situation not knowing if and when the hair breakage will stop. I don’t wish this on anybody. I have a row of hair balls in the bathroom. So exciting when you think today’s hair ball is smaller then the last time you did your hair 😀. It is frightening to even touch your hair. You can’t help but tell yourself if this doesn’t stop I’m not going to have any hair left

Beverly
October 18th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I would also like to get advice on exercise. I know along with diet and sleep it is very important. I am really trying to gain weight and increasing my calories as much as I can. My problem is when I exercise I lose weight. I can just ride my stationary bike for a few days in a row and without changing my diet I will drop pounds. Any ideas what I can do for exercise so I can gain weight and not lose it?

spidermom
October 18th, 2018, 01:19 PM
I would also like to get advice on exercise. I know along with diet and sleep it is very important. I am really trying to gain weight and increasing my calories as much as I can. My problem is when I exercise I lose weight. I can just ride my stationary bike for a few days in a row and without changing my diet I will drop pounds. Any ideas what I can do for exercise so I can gain weight and not lose it?

How about yoga?

lapushka
October 18th, 2018, 01:57 PM
I would at this point get a dietician's advice, or a doctor's. It is not normal that just a "bit" of exercise is responsible for you losing pounds upon pounds of weight. My mom has a fast metabolism, and she always had half a plate filled to the top with potatoes - that's just how she ate. Her doctor (our family internist) once told her she should eat before exercise. And that is a good tip, so eat like extra like a banana or a sandwich or just about anything before exercising. You could use a protein powder.

Beverly
October 18th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I would at this point get a dietician's advice, or a doctor's. It is not normal that just a "bit" of exercise is responsible for you losing pounds upon pounds of weight. My mom has a fast metabolism, and she always had half a plate filled to the top with potatoes - that's just how she ate. Her doctor (our family internist) once told her she should eat before exercise. And that is a good tip, so eat like extra like a banana or a sandwich or just about anything before exercising. You could use a protein powder.
I think you misunderstood. I don’t lose pounds upon pounds with a bit of exercise. For example at the start of summer when I become more active or if I choose to start exercising regularly then it doesn’t take long before I will shed some pounds. That is a good thing that it works that way. It should. But right now since I recently lost weight from not regularly eating good meals I don’t want to drop any of the weight that I am now putting back on since I have increased my calories and am feeling positive after posting here. During the day I am very active on the go so I don’t want to exercise a lot and defeat the purpose. Hoping for suggestions for exercise that won’t burn the calories of the day. I will try eating before exercise. Thanks for the tip. I will check into yoga. Any other ideas?

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I think you misunderstood. I don’t lose pounds upon pounds with a bit of exercise. For example at the start of summer when I become more active or if I choose to start exercising regularly then it doesn’t take long before I will shed some pounds. That is a good thing that it works that way. It should. But right now since I recently lost weight from not regularly eating good meals I don’t want to drop any of the weight that I am now putting back on since I have increased my calories and am feeling positive after posting here. During the day I am very active on the go so I don’t want to exercise a lot and defeat the purpose. Hoping for suggestions for exercise that won’t burn the calories of the day. I will try eating before exercise. Thanks for the tip. I will check into yoga. Any other ideas?

Sorry I misunderstood. Yes, then reserve the exercise for later, and get your food on track first, that would be my advice, at least.

aethyra
October 31st, 2018, 02:48 PM
Thank you all for your nice comments. I am starting to eat better after worrying sick over it which made me lose my appetite. I am trying pureology hydrate shampoo and tonight I will put on the strength cure to super condition it so I will see if that doesn’t make it look a little better. I will also try the ones Dark40 suggested. I think this hair breakage was all due to my lack of good nutrition which my blood work confirmed and it didn’t have anything to do with my last hair color because this started before the last time I got my color. I am sure heading into menopause doesn’t help the situation I also have started a B complex vitamin along with my multivitamin which the pharmacist said was OK to take together and a hair skin and nail gummy so I guess time will tell. This is a great place and I am glad I found all of you

Hello there! I am following your post because I have similar issues to yours. Sudden and intense dryness with breakage and hair fall. How was the Pureology Strength Cure? I used to love this particular product (the conditioner) but it seems to not be working so well now. I have 2 years of grown out virgin hair at root to just midface, with the bottom 6 inches being bleach damaged hair that took a disastrous turn for the worst beginning in February of this year without any new chemicals of any kind. It is mind boggling. I took very good care of my highlight bleached hair and it was super shiny and soft until February for no onown reason other than added chlorine to our city water.

Can you perhaps update once in awhile on your progress or if you find a good product?

I pray you find a satisfactory remedy for your tresses. :toast:

Beverly
October 31st, 2018, 11:06 PM
Hi
Hello there! I am following your post because I have similar issues to yours. Sudden and intense dryness with breakage and hair fall. How was the Pureology Strength Cure? I used to love this particular product (the conditioner) but it seems to not be working so well now. I have 2 years of grown out virgin hair at root to just midface, with the bottom 6 inches being bleach damaged hair that took a disastrous turn for the worst beginning in February of this year without any new chemicals of any kind. It is mind boggling. I took very good care of my highlight bleached hair and it was super shiny and soft until February for no onown reason other than added chlorine to our city water.

Can you perhaps update once in awhile on your progress or if you find a good product?

I pray you find a satisfactory remedy for your tresses. :toast:

Nothing positive to report yet. Went back to the doctor Tuesday hoping they could do more labs but based on my recent results he saw nothing else to check. I should feel blessed that I am 56 and do not have to take any prescriptions yet but sad to say you kind of wanted something to be wrong in hoping it would fix it. On my drive home I decided to call a local beauty supply place that only deals with hairdressers and it did make me feel a little better that her reaction was this was common. She told me names of some products and I called my hairdresser and talked to her for an hour. She hasn’t seen me in 6 weeks so I am scheduled to go this Saturday. She went to that beauty supply store to get supplies and was going to talk to that lady on my behalf.

I have been on an emotional roller coaster. I have prayed a lot and build my confidence up then get scared thinking about it. I think the plan is to put a real good conditioning mask on. My beautician suggested I may not be able to color my hair anymore and you might as well have chopped my head off. I told her I just have to have color. My routine forever has been going about every five weeks to have my light brown brunette color on and then my gray roots start growing out and there’s just no way I could let my hair go totally gray it looks horrible with gray roots and it’s embarrassing because it’s noticeable. I have my hair parted down the middle. I recently noticed the hair loss or breakage right at the back of my head where it curves to go to the back of your head has a lot of missing hair. I have to do a combover and hairspray it to stay in place. It looks bad in the morning when I get up but I can hide it for now if I can hang on to the hair in that area.

I am still using the Pureology hydrate shampoo but the conditioner just doesn’t agree with me so after shampooing I use the strength cure in the jar. I put it on and put a shower cap on and leave it in for a while before rinsing it out. The texture of my hair is horrible. I hope my beautician found a magic product and I wish instead of panic and depression I wish I would have accepted the fact that my hair texture is different now and should have dealt with it before what feels like half my hair is gone. But.... if I can barely touch it without falling hairs I’m cringing to go and get it done because what if a whole bunch more breaks off while she try’s to fix it. I don’t have a choice so I’ll let you know what happens.

CrowningGlory
November 1st, 2018, 02:12 AM
Hi

Nothing positive to report yet. Went back to the doctor Tuesday hoping they could do more labs but based on my recent results he saw nothing else to check. I should feel blessed that I am 56 and do not have to take any prescriptions yet but sad to say you kind of wanted something to be wrong in hoping it would fix it. On my drive home I decided to call a local beauty supply place that only deals with hairdressers and it did make me feel a little better that her reaction was this was common. She told me names of some products and I called my hairdresser and talked to her for an hour. She hasn’t seen me in 6 weeks so I am scheduled to go this Saturday. She went to that beauty supply store to get supplies and was going to talk to that lady on my behalf.

I have been on an emotional roller coaster. I have prayed a lot and build my confidence up then get scared thinking about it. I think the plan is to put a real good conditioning mask on. My beautician suggested I may not be able to color my hair anymore and you might as well have chopped my head off. I told her I just have to have color. My routine forever has been going about every five weeks to have my light brown brunette color on and then my gray roots start growing out and there’s just no way I could let my hair go totally gray it looks horrible with gray roots and it’s embarrassing because it’s noticeable. I have my hair parted down the middle. I recently noticed the hair loss or breakage right at the back of my head where it curves to go to the back of your head has a lot of missing hair. I have to do a combover and hairspray it to stay in place. It looks bad in the morning when I get up but I can hide it for now if I can hang on to the hair in that area.

I am still using the Pureology hydrate shampoo but the conditioner just doesn’t agree with me so after shampooing I use the strength cure in the jar. I put it on and put a shower cap on and leave it in for a while before rinsing it out. The texture of my hair is horrible. I hope my beautician found a magic product and I wish instead of panic and depression I wish I would have accepted the fact that my hair texture is different now and should have dealt with it before what feels like half my hair is gone. But.... if I can barely touch it without falling hairs I’m cringing to go and get it done because what if a whole bunch more breaks off while she try’s to fix it. I don’t have a choice so I’ll let you know what happens.

I do understand how distressing this is and I, too, wanted a quick fix. I had a doctor tell me that I wouldn't go bald ... easy for him to say! It was incredibly distressing and he just couldn't get that. I do think, though, that you need to keep pushing for answers. Has anyone asked you about family history? Did other women in your family suffer hair loss? It's interesting that my mother, who has extremely thick hair, also had hers fall out by the handful when she was about ten years older than what I was when mine started doing the same thing. Apparently two different causes but it makes me wonder.

One thing that actually helped me was to look up wigs and choose one or two if "it ever came to that." It might sound strange, but it helped me realise that I didn't have to walk around bald if I didn't want to and that there were some pretty wigs out there that I could enjoy wearing. It never did come to that and with time (we're talking years) my hair has regained some of the thickness it lost. If it's an option, a wig may help you get over the worst of it, especially if you can't colour for several months.

As to the grey roots, they do look far worse when they're sitting right next to coloured hair. I've watched some women transition to grey and it's often not been the prettiest of journeys, but once the last of the dye has been cut off, their hair has taken on it's true colour and looks fabulous. But this is something only you can decide if you're ready to go that route. It felt forced on me when I did it - because of the shedding and because I'd developed an allergy to herbal henna - and it took a long time for me to come to terms with it and even now my reactions to the grey varies from liking it to tolerating it to wondering who the old lady in the mirror is.

I probably haven't helped ... in fact, I've probably made things worse. But, as we all know, hair grows slowly, and when something like this happens, it rarely has a quick solution.