PDA

View Full Version : Protective Night Styles

Tehillim408
October 11th, 2018, 07:13 AM
I'm trying to decide how best to put my hair up at night.

I used to be able to put it up in a high bun, but it's gotten so heavy, that it pulls and feels uncomfortable. Braids are the most comfortable style I've found, but I do not like the braid waves I get.

What else is there? My hair is thick and down to my waist.

MadHatter
October 11th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I do a bun on top of my head, held by two jaw clips. One anterior and one posterior. My pillow is long enough that the bun is supported, and doesn't try to 'fall' to the side, thus no pulling.

TreesOfEternity
October 11th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Rope braids give some kind of wave but it's different from regular braids, maybe you can try them. There isn't many options left apart from wrapping your hair around your head and use a scarf, or sleeping with your hair down on a satin/microfiber pillowcase.

zashin66
October 11th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I'm trying to decide how best to put my hair up at night.

I used to be able to put it up in a high bun, but it's gotten so heavy, that it pulls and feels uncomfortable. Braids are the most comfortable style I've found, but I do not like the braid waves I get.

What else is there? My hair is thick and down to my waist.

I'm so at that question right now. My usual braid on my classic length hair is nice to wake up to. I like how it seems to be like a snuggly cat around my neck and back. I can't do the buns because it is too heavy, pulls too much. But I think the rubbing of the braid tassle is causing splits. I've tried leaving it loose but then I have to wake up to turn over or get stuck with hair under me and around and over etc. I don't think I can sleep with a sleep cap but I ordered one yesterday to try anyways. I sweat too much with a satin pillow slip.

So I'm searching for a new answer. I'm also thinking about maybe a silk paranda that could hide the ends??

Such is the question. I'll be watching this thread for good advice.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I am FTL right now and still leave my hair loose at night. I figure since I wear it up so much (all the time), I need to let it "breathe" some too. So that is when my scalp gets a break from supporting all that weight during the day.

Cg
October 11th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I put my classic+ hair in a topknot bun covered by a satin sleep cap and then an old, stretched-out scrunchie to somewhat contain the bun. Hair is rather loose but still contained enough that it doesn't come undone most of the time.

*Wednesday*
October 11th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I do a loose braid and sleep bonnet. I need to contain in the bonnet or my hair will tangle.

JennGalt
October 11th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Loose beebutt bun held by a non-damaging hair tie and a silky-feeling microfiber pillowcase. I’ve tried other styles but I keep coming back to this. I find bonnets annoying, a fork ripped out a lock of hair while holding a sleep bun, and braids keep trying to strangle me since about WL. I’m not a particularly wild sleeper, so not sure why all this happens.

MusicalSpoons
October 11th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Copy pasta-ing a comment on another thread because otherwise it's a lot of typing and brainpower:

I currently bun my hair with a sturdy fork that's about the same length as my bun is wide, doing a bun that's sort of loose at the scalp but secure, then actually sleep *in* a satin pillowcase. It's an envelope-style closure, so I turn it inside-out, out the smaller part over the top of my head, then twist the remaining material at the nape of my neck. I then bring the other side of the envelope closure up and anchor it around the bun, for which my pillowcase is the perfect size to do! There's a lot of loose material hanging down my neck doing nothing but I find it's kinder to the hairline than a cap was^. I also sleep on another satin pillowcase to protect any wispies that might escape, and in case I move a lot and the pillowcase over my head comes loose.

Before settling on that method, I tried putting the small part of the pillowcase over my head, then dropping my length into the 'bag' of satin that hung down, then loosely securing it all using a satin scrunchie near the nape, as if securing a low ponytail. I really liked that method except my hair was a bit more tangled than in a cap (though in fairness, in a cap the tangles were virtually zero). I also still slept on another satin pillowcase for that method too, as often hair would escape.

(^It does look ridiculous, but for me that's not an issue. Also I ought to take pics of how I put the pillowcase over my hair because words just probably aren't clear enough! Sorry)

---

It's taken a while to settle on this method but for me it's the best balance I've found for protecting length and hairline :)

browneyedsusan
October 11th, 2018, 05:26 PM
I'm alternating between a topknot, and a sidebraid in a paranda.

I used to just sleep in a topknot, but it's getting too heavy, and I roll around a lot. I settled on a side paranda braid because it keeps my hair "in", and the braid lays over my shoulder so I'm not laying on a lump. Regular braid tassels get all wadded up and tangled in the night. (I think my hair is too fine to behave itself in a regular sleep braid!) I made the paranda out of scrap yarn, and it's a little longer than my hair, so only the yarn forms a tassel -- all of my hair is worked into the braid. :)