PDA

View Full Version : Damaged hair from tangle teezer or braid?

AngelAlly
October 11th, 2018, 07:08 AM
I used the tangle teezer for about a week and a half before I noticed a small chunk of hair that broke off in the front right at where my part meets my forehead. The hair went from about waist to shoulder after breaking. I didn't notice when it happened just later on I was looking in the mirror and the shorter piece was poking out of my braid. The only other thing I've done different was wearing a regular braid more often. I've worn braids a lot in the past but not for a while and have not had any problems before. I don't use any heat either so it wasn't that. Those were the only changes I made. I have fine hair so maybe the tangle teezer was too much for it? It also created static electricity in my hair the other day and my other brush has never done that. I've quit using it but I'm upset about losing the little bit. I'm not sure if it was the braid. I don't see how it would rip it out at the beginning of the braid, maybe damaged ends from braiding a lot could happen eventually. I have 1c hair maybe 2a. Has anyone had breakage from a braid or tangle teezer? Is it possible it was something else?

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 08:23 AM
A TT shouldn't cause crazy breakage like that over a week unless you have prior heat or chemical damage. Do you? :confused: The location sounds like the braid is more likely (I've had crazy breakage from braids personally). But that's just a guess, I know TTs don't work for everyone.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 08:37 AM
I used the tangle teezer for about a week and a half before I noticed a small chunk of hair that broke off in the front right at where my part meets my forehead. The hair went from about waist to shoulder after breaking. I didn't notice when it happened just later on I was looking in the mirror and the shorter piece was poking out of my braid. The only other thing I've done different was wearing a regular braid more often. I've worn braids a lot in the past but not for a while and have not had any problems before. I don't use any heat either so it wasn't that. Those were the only changes I made. I have fine hair so maybe the tangle teezer was too much for it? It also created static electricity in my hair the other day and my other brush has never done that. I've quit using it but I'm upset about losing the little bit. I'm not sure if it was the braid. I don't see how it would rip it out at the beginning of the braid, maybe damaged ends from braiding a lot could happen eventually. I have 1c hair maybe 2a. Has anyone had breakage from a braid or tangle teezer? Is it possible it was something else?

Are you still bleaching, dyeing, using heat from a straightener or curling wand? If so, I would not be so quick to blame the TT for breakage. If you have white dots up a strand, *any* brush is going to cause you issues.

You haven't been here long, and I don't know the history of your hair at all, so if you could give more information on that, that would be great.

AngelAlly
October 11th, 2018, 08:42 AM
A TT shouldn't cause crazy breakage like that over a week unless you have prior heat or chemical damage. Do you? :confused: The location sounds like the braid is more likely (I've had crazy breakage from braids personally). But that's just a guess, I know TTs don't work for everyone.

I Don't use any heat and I haven't used any chemicals or dye either. I just can't figure out if it was the braid or tangle teezer. I'll stop braiding completely too. I've worn braids in the past without damage but maybe my hair doesn't like them anymore?

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 08:43 AM
I Don't use any heat and I haven't used any chemicals or dye either. I just can't figure out if it was the braid or tangle teezer. I'll stop braiding completely too. I've worn braids in the past without damage but maybe my hair doesn't like them anymore?

Did you use heat in the past, and if so, when did you stop?

AngelAlly
October 11th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Did you use heat in the past, and if so, when did you stop?

The last time I ever used a flat iron was maybe 6-7 years ago. Sometime in 2012. I would use it maybe twice a year for special occasions. My hair was blown out once in 2012 too and it had some color. That hair is long since gone I haven't had it in years and it's been cut out. The color was from using one application of clairol semi permanent in light auburn. The color was on my ends in 2015 and the rest of it was cut out in august of 2015. I wash it twice a week and wear it down most of the time.

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 09:03 AM
The last time I ever used a flat iron was maybe 6-7 years ago. Sometime in 2012. I would use it maybe twice a year for special occasions. My hair was blown out once in 2012 too and it had some color. That hair is long since gone I haven't had it in years and it's been cut out. The color was from using one application of clairol semi permanent in light auburn. The color was on my ends in 2015 and the rest of it was cut out in august of 2015. I wash it twice a week and wear it down most of the time.

Hmm. To me the only suspect practice is wearing it down, and I don't think that's it here. Could you describe the products you use? And did you notice pulling or snapping with the TT? (Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's that or just the weird sound it always makes, but I'm trying to think through things.)

akurah
October 11th, 2018, 09:05 AM
...and wear it down most of the time.

This is why your hair broke, more likely than the braid or tangle teaser. Friction damage is probably the culprit, rubbing either against a purse strap, backpack strap, seatbelt, or back of chair.

AngelAlly
October 11th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Hmm. To me the only suspect practice is wearing it down, and I don't think that's it here. Could you describe the products you use? And did you notice pulling or snapping with the TT? (Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's that or just the weird sound it always makes, but I'm trying to think through things.)

I use nexxus therappe shampoo and humectress conditioner twice a week. Sometimes I wash it less than that. I'll occasionally use some argan oil or jojoba. I did notice I lost a lot more hair than normal when I used the tangle teezer. It was making me reconsider using it. I didn't notice any snapping noises when I used it just lots of hair on it when done. I didn't think I was brushing more rough than normal I did it just like I would with my old brush. I normally don't have any problems with tangles. I just wanted to try a new brush.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM

6 x 4/6 inches = 24/36 inches of hair. If your hair is no longer than that or has been trimmed often, then all the damage should be gone.

If you think it's the TT, then just stop using it. The brush is not for everyone. :shrug:

I don't think a braid causes breakage, unless you braid so tightly it hurts.

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
This is why your hair broke, more likely than the braid or tangle teaser. Friction damage is probably the culprit, rubbing either against a purse strap, backpack strap, seatbelt, or back of chair.

Well then this is probably right. I'm not in the majority, but I do find that braids worn loose make breakage more likely because of the extra tension on certain hairs, but it may very well have happened while it was just loose. Is your hair waist length? Last time you wore braids and had no problems, how long was it?

Either way, updos/protective styles are probably called for here.

The-Young-Maid
October 11th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Do you have a cat? There have been plenty of stories of cats nibbling on hair.

harpgal
October 11th, 2018, 11:32 AM
I never use the Tangle Teaser until my hair is completely un-tangled. And then, only on my scalp. Yes, it can damage your hair and I would guess that is what happened. I have very fine hair and braid every day. Braids have never produced damage for me. I would certainly be very careful with a Tangle Teaser.

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Tangle teezer was damaging my hair so much I had to throw it away.

amiraaah
October 11th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Tangle teezer was damaging my hair so much I had to throw it away.

I agree with this!tangle teezer is quite damaging to my hair too.also,because my hair is fine and curly whenever i use it my hair will look like a frizzy mess.

MoonRabbit
October 11th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I have an off brand TT that I have been using for the past few months. Though I have not seen breakage with my own eye, I can hear a few snaps when I use it. But this is just the way of my hair. Even when I only use my fingers, I still get the occasional snap. I try to be as slow, gentle and caring as possible but it is inevitable.

As for braids, they certainly can cause breakage. I wear a side sleep braid every night and I have some shorter broken hairs around my nape from where the braid meets my head. Doesn't matter how soft I do the braid, it breaks those hairs because they are finer and more delicate than the rest of my head.

AngelAlly
October 11th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Well then this is probably right. I'm not in the majority, but I do find that braids worn loose make breakage more likely because of the extra tension on certain hairs, but it may very well have happened while it was just loose. Is your hair waist length? Last time you wore braids and had no problems, how long was it?

Either way, updos/protective styles are probably called for here.
My hair is almost waist length. The last time I wore braids it was growing from collar bone to slightly below bra strap length. Then after keeping hair around bra strap length a while it was cut back up to about shoulder length. That cut was three years ago so I haven't braided a whole lot since then. I know I should wear a protective style. I'm horrible at styling I didn't learn how to braid until I was maybe 23. It's embarrassing. When I was 18 my hair was the longest it had ever been past hip and I wore it down everyday. It wasn't in really good condition though. Good condition is my goal along with hip or tailbone length that's where I want to maintain.

kikikhaleesi
October 11th, 2018, 12:39 PM
The tangle teaser pulled my hair and was so rough on my hair i returned it the next day. I have fine hair but a lot of it. Not sure why so many people rave about it. Worst brush I've ever used... My guess would be the TT caused you damage. Braids shouldn't rip your hair out..

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 01:01 PM
As for braids, they certainly can cause breakage. I wear a side sleep braid every night and I have some shorter broken hairs around my nape from where the braid meets my head. Doesn't matter how soft I do the braid, it breaks those hairs because they are finer and more delicate than the rest of my head.

This was my experience too. Worsened when used as a sleep style. I *know* it works for so many people, but for me it prevented tangles but definitely worsened mechanical damage/friction.

Lady Stardust
October 11th, 2018, 03:01 PM
This might be a long shot, but is it definitely breakage? I’m only asking because I have two locks of hair (one from each temple) that grow much more slowly than the rest of my hair and I don’t think they’ll ever get very long. Some hair around the hairline gets confused about its terminal length. Is this definitely a new thing, rather than something you’ve just noticed?

Sorry if that’s a daft question.

MusicalSpoons
October 11th, 2018, 05:09 PM
This might be a long shot, but is it definitely breakage? I’m only asking because I have two locks of hair (one from each temple) that grow much more slowly than the rest of my hair and I don’t think they’ll ever get very long. Some hair around the hairline gets confused about its terminal length. Is this definitely a new thing, rather than something you’ve just noticed?

Sorry if that’s a daft question.

:rollin: LOVE the way you worded that!!

This was my experience too. Worsened when used as a sleep style. I *know* it works for so many people, but for me it prevented tangles but definitely worsened mechanical damage/friction.

Braids shred instantly for me (seriously) so expose ends all throughout my length to mechanical damage, especially friction from rubbing on clothes. I never found they caused breakage from tension, but as with everything, everyone's hair reacts differently. I suppose I'm just chiming in to add to the 'braids are not necessarily protective' chorus.

OP, if it's not an issue of shorter terminal length then your problem could well have been caused by wearing it down to be honest, perhaps exposed to friction in the same spot each time? Or it could even be that area was made weaker from mechanical damage, then the braiding and/or TT was the last it could take. It's hard to pinpoint the exact cause, to be honest.

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 06:06 PM
For my hair, the TT caused more breakage than braids do.

That said, wearing it down could also be the culprit.

EmeraldSkies
October 12th, 2018, 03:22 AM
I think that it might be the TT that is causing the damage. I have tried TT before and it made my hair looks fried and frizzy eventhough I'm extra gentle when brushing my hair. I would either stop using TT and continue with the braids or vice versa. If you see lesser damage when not using TT and continue wearing braids then the TT is probably the culprit. If you see lesser damage when not wearing braids and continue using TT then wearing braids is probably the problem.

illicitlizard
October 12th, 2018, 05:58 AM
EmeraldSkies that's some solid logical advice.

Really sucks that people are seeing damage with the TT though, luckily it works really well on my fine straight hair with no breakage... I would be more inclined to think it was more aggressive mechanical damage. Only because OP described it as a 'chunk' of hair but then again who knows! So many possible causes :/

AutobotsAttack
October 12th, 2018, 06:24 AM
I don’t mean to sound snobby or anything, but unless you’re braiding your hair super tightly, and are wearing the most snaggiest, grabby materials, I doubt the breakage supersedes what mechanical damage from a tangle teezer can do. For what it’s worth, the closer you get to the 4’s, concerning hair type, the less you should be using fine toothed utensils. Espeacially tangle teezers. The fact that the tangle teezer is also causing static would be another obvious sign. There’s individuals on this site who wear their hair down daily and still have great lengths of hair. I take it you look after, and care for your hair enough for it to grow from year to year, I also doubt you’re braiding your hair with enough tension to break off chunks worth of hair in a small amount of time that you’ve noticed.

You also noted you have fine hair, so perhaps you should not only opt to stop using a tangle teezer, but keep your hair up more. Even with braid shred and fine hair, keeping your hair up can still make braids effective regardless of braid shred or not. I have braid shred like no ones business, but it doesn’t particularly effect anything so long as it’s up in a braided bun or loose ponytail.

Zesty
October 12th, 2018, 08:58 AM
So this doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's original question, and I'm not asserting what the cause was for the OP either way, and doubtless a TT can be damaging. But I do want to address what I think is a misconception about my assertion that braids can cause breakage.

In my experience, braids don't need to be tight to cause breakage. It's not that it's snapping during styling, it's because of the way it affects the application of friction. If you think about it, if you have a rope draped over a rough file, it will wear and break a lot faster if it's held taut by a weight on the other end as it moves (in this case the braid is the weight -- it doesn't matter if it's braided tightly or loosely, the weight is the same). It will be harder to get it to wear and break if it's loose on the other end, because there's nothing to hold it taught as it's rubbing on the file (as with loose hair).

There will still be friction with the unweighted rope, but it won't be as intense or focused in one area. So, if you're wearing a regular English braid down your back, those hairs at the base of your neck are held taut by the weight of your braid, and if something rubs on them, like a collar, for example, then they are in more danger of breakage than loose hairs that don't have that weight to deal with.

That's what happened to me and how I understand the cause. Maybe tangles are a bigger source of damage than breakage for some people, plus it does keep one's hair out of things more than when it's loose (so it's a more specific risk, rather than generalized when loose hair goes everywhere) so it might be worth it. Some people's hair can take braids for sure. But mine can't, not on a regular basis. And I believe that it's the style itself and not how it's done.

TL;DR: In my opinion, braids can make hair more prone to breakage no matter how loosely or tightly they're done. YMMV but that's my experience.

MoonRabbit
October 12th, 2018, 10:44 AM
So this doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's original question, and I'm not asserting what the cause was for the OP either way, and doubtless a TT can be damaging. But I do want to address what I think is a misconception about my assertion that braids can cause breakage.

In my experience, braids don't need to be tight to cause breakage. It's not that it's snapping during styling, it's because of the way it affects the application of friction. If you think about it, if you have a rope draped over a rough file, it will wear and break a lot faster if it's held taut by a weight on the other end as it moves (in this case the braid is the weight -- it doesn't matter if it's braided tightly or loosely, the weight is the same). It will be harder to get it to wear and break if it's loose on the other end, because there's nothing to hold it taught as it's rubbing on the file (as with loose hair).

There will still be friction with the unweighted rope, but it won't be as intense or focused in one area. So, if you're wearing a regular English braid down your back, those hairs at the base of your neck are held taut by the weight of your braid, and if something rubs on them, like a collar, for example, then they are in more danger of breakage than loose hairs that don't have that weight to deal with.

That's what happened to me and how I understand the cause. Maybe tangles are a bigger source of damage than breakage for some people, plus it does keep one's hair out of things more than when it's loose (so it's a more specific risk, rather than generalized when loose hair goes everywhere) so it might be worth it. Some people's hair can take braids for sure. But mine can't, not on a regular basis. And I believe that it's the style itself and not how it's done.

TL;DR: In my opinion, braids can make hair more prone to breakage no matter how loosely or tightly they're done. YMMV but that's my experience.

Yes I completely agree with this, as it happens to myself and I know of many other members that can not handle braids because of this reason. In my opinion, braids are not the best protective style. But then again no style is fully protective. Even Torrin has mentioned in a video of having a lot of broken nape hairs because she likes to wear buns every day. I personally do not have this issue with buns but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Zesty
October 12th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Yes I completely agree with this, as it happens to myself and I know of many other members that can not handle braids because of this reason. In my opinion, braids are not the best protective style. But then again no style is fully protective. Even Torrin has mentioned in a video of having a lot of broken nape hairs because she likes to wear buns every day. I personally do not have this issue with buns but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You're so right. That fact can be frustrating for the perfectionists among us. :)

AutobotsAttack
October 12th, 2018, 11:53 PM

That’s understandable. Again, I wasn’t trying to misconstrue anything or sound standoffish either. So I apologize for any confusion. I think we would need more info and possibly a picture to get a feel for the OPs actual hair.

I’m Rather going off subject though, I find it interesting your hair has that kind of weight distribution. I think I’m viewing this whole thing in conjunction with how my own hair operates, and I see that hair typing comes up a lot when describing hair, and I automatically just watch to see where the number fall to see what I could suggest.

I guess for me, my hair more or less is light enough to move independently of gravity and even it’s own weight. (For reference I can put my hair up in a bun without using anything. It just stays put) From TBL, a single braid on my own head will shrink up to shoulder length. Essentially, there’s virtually no tension caused by the weight of my hair concerning gravity. Only tension I receive is if I physically hold a braid taught. I can’t physically feel the weight of a braid or a bun either. Wet or dry, my hair is just that fine textured.

So in my mind, and with the info of the OP, I only suggested mechanical damage over braiding, going by characteristics of fine hair so I’m more than certain I’m not taking into consideration everything there is to take.

But I have noticed the finer the hair, the less it’s own weight tends to be a problem. But A picture would definitely help.

I think the interesting thing about it is OP is somewhat in the middle of the spectrum concerning hair type, well almost . Maybe she could approach both differently? Adjust the way she uses a tangle teezer AND monitor frequency of braid installation?

If that makes any sense at least, but that was where I was coming from.

TreesOfEternity
October 13th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Guys how do you know broken nape hairs are due to braids? I have lots of short hairs at my nape, forehead and around my ears. I thought that’s just how my hair is, do you mean those are broken hairs due to certain hairstyles?? Oh my :( I wear both braids and buns.

spidermom
October 13th, 2018, 09:52 AM

This is my thought as well.

calmyogi
October 13th, 2018, 10:00 AM
From what I read here it sounds to me like it could be a mixture of all of these things. Wearing hair loose, braid friction on clothing, and the new brush. Maybe your hair couldn’t handle the brush as well as any damage caused by wearing it loose often. Abandon one or the other and see what happens. I don’t find the TT damaging to my hair, but I could see how it could be to others for sure.

MoonRabbit
October 13th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Guys how do you know broken nape hairs are due to braids? I have lots of short hairs at my nape, forehead and around my ears. I thought that’s just how my hair is, do you mean those are broken hairs due to certain hairstyles?? Oh my :( I wear both braids and buns.

No, I also have those little hairs, even around my nape. But the hairs that are broken are a little longer and are in a more concentrated chunk. I never had those chunks before wearing braids. And it seems whenever I do a braid, mostly side english or double dutch the area where the base of the braid meets my neck, somehow always ends up with tension on it. I'm not really bothered by it to be honest, I still wear braids because I love them and I'll just have to sacrifice those few hairs in the process.

Zesty
October 13th, 2018, 11:56 AM
That’s understandable. Again, I wasn’t trying to misconstrue anything or sound standoffish either. So I apologize for any confusion. I think we would need more info and possibly a picture to get a feel for the OPs actual hair.

I’m Rather going off subject though, I find it interesting your hair has that kind of weight distribution. I think I’m viewing this whole thing in conjunction with how my own hair operates, and I see that hair typing comes up a lot when describing hair, and I automatically just watch to see where the number fall to see what I could suggest.

I guess for me, my hair more or less is light enough to move independently of gravity and even it’s own weight. (For reference I can put my hair up in a bun without using anything. It just stays put) From TBL, a single braid on my own head will shrink up to shoulder length. Essentially, there’s virtually no tension caused by the weight of my hair concerning gravity. Only tension I receive is if I physically hold a braid taught. I can’t physically feel the weight of a braid or a bun either. Wet or dry, my hair is just that fine textured.

So in my mind, and with the info of the OP, I only suggested mechanical damage over braiding, going by characteristics of fine hair so I’m more than certain I’m not taking into consideration everything there is to take.

But I have noticed the finer the hair, the less it’s own weight tends to be a problem. But A picture would definitely help.

I think the interesting thing about it is OP is somewhat in the middle of the spectrum concerning hair type, well almost . Maybe she could approach both differently? Adjust the way she uses a tangle teezer AND monitor frequency of braid installation?

If that makes any sense at least, but that was where I was coming from.

That's very interesting, thank you for elaborating. Our hair seems to behave very differently (which makes sense I suppose, given our type signifiers). Perfect example of YMMV.

No, I also have those little hairs, even around my nape. But the hairs that are broken are a little longer and are in a more concentrated chuck. I never had those chucks before wearing braids. And it seems whenever I do a braid, mostly side english or double dutch the area where the base of the braid meets my neck, somehow always ends up with tension on it. I'm not really bothered by it to be honest, I still wear braids because I love them and I'll just have to sacrifice those few hairs in the process.

This. Though I avoid braids now for the most part. :p

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Nape hairs are usually short and also you normally have wispies all around your hairline. If it's a big chunk, that's broken, but if it's just random pieces and bits of fluff, no that's normal.

zashin66
November 7th, 2018, 08:04 AM
I wondered for a while if braids were damaging my hair because I was getting too many splits. I think like previously mentioned that the braid shred does cause some friction damage. I wasn't successful with the TT and gave that to my daughter. I now alternate between wearing my hair just loose and braids (and/or combinations of this). When I work (as a nurse) I just wear a bunned braid or cinnabun with hair stick. Today I have two braids for a version of half up just to keep it out of my face. I'm constantly treating the rest of the length like a child that is carried about by the mom. Reminds me of when my children were 1-2 years of age and it was easier/safer to carry them at certain times than to wait for them to keep up with me (like on busy streets).
It seems that the braid shred damage does occur more than incidental damage from loose wearing. Just my 2 cents.
btw my length is just a bit longer than classic.

bokeh
November 16th, 2018, 08:17 PM
I've certainly learned a lot about braids from this thread! I had no idea what braid shred was or that braids could cause damage and Zesty's description of how friction on braids due to their weight can damage hair was really informative. I've been looking forward to my hair getting a bit longer to start wearing an English braid and I think I'll go along with MoonRabbit's idea and just sacrifice a few hairs in order to wear them.