PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Air Wrap

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Personally, I love Dyson products. I have two of their stick vacuums and nothing else comes close to the power that their engines have.

This though is very interesting. I'm gonna give it until Christmas to see what people think, and I wanna see and feel it in person. If I love it, gonna get it for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xTOC86sqZc&fbclid=IwAR1KaVsqPCWoNNjuQwPrd ufn9b8NdsQuvVqnTzyIVTT13jcmoH8TUjGLUi8

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 06:56 AM
I... don't... know. If it's true that it's without heating up then it would be revolutionary, but then I wonder how do they get the curl in the hair.

In any case, I do think their blowdryer/diffuser is way overpriced.

And whereas vacuums go, I don't know either. My parents still have their Nilfisk from when they got married. It looks like Wall-e; it's a little "tub". We call it that too. LOL!

But anyway, wonder what the price will be on these.

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 06:56 AM
A detailed review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwwD7YegKfs&list=PLXEkXCo8vxBRhTOzKRUMSf5IKG80fI7lC

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 06:57 AM
I... don't... know. If it's true that it's without heating up then it would be revolutionary, but then I wonder how do they get the curl in the hair.

In any case, I do think their blowdryer/diffuser is way overpriced.

And whereas vacuums go, I don't know either. My parents still have their Nilfisk from when they got married. It looks like Wall-e; it's a little "tub". We call it that too. LOL!

But anyway, wonder what the price will be on these.

It uses heat.

lucid
October 11th, 2018, 07:01 AM
"Without any extreme heat" so does it say anywhere what temperature it is?

And I'm worried about mechanical damage and tangles on longer hair. I'll check out the review posted above!

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 07:06 AM
The temp for curling is around 300 fahrenheit I believe.

illicitlizard
October 11th, 2018, 07:43 AM
I feel like there's a lot of room for knotty hair fails with this swirling hair stick. So it's like a blowdryer thing mixed with a curling wand and ~dyson technology~? Knowing dyson it'll be way overpriced, but interested to see how it performs once the general public gets their reviews out there.
The thing I'd be concerned about based on first impressions only is that the long handle looks a bit unwieldy and I also wonder how heavy/sturdy it is. Also how many of those attachments actually come with the wand? Guess I've gotta give this a google now :P

ETA: Quick google, oh wow it comes in the box with all those attachments? Noice. But oh my goodness, $699AUD for a curling wand/blowdryer? BOI my dyson vacuum cost less than that lmao

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Dyson products have one of the best performing engines for vacuums on the market. My parents have a higher end canister miele that can barely keep up.

There is no stick vacuum out that sucks up as must fine dust as Dyson. So I disagree about their products being overpriced. You can't find anything comparable for much cheaper.

Sid0rela
October 11th, 2018, 08:23 AM
i've heard good things about dyson hair products. like their straightners and blowdryers.
if i could afford them i totally would give them a try.
i've realised that quality matters a lot in hair tools, and the new tool seems interesting.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 08:31 AM
There is no stick vacuum out that sucks up as must fine dust as Dyson. So I disagree about their products being overpriced. You can't find anything comparable for much cheaper.

I'm not willing to believe that at all; but you do you. Not going to argue over it. :flower:

And if regular vacuums can do the job & do it well, then I don't know what the extra is? I mean you don't want so much power that it is going to lift off your carpet from the floor. ;)

Joules
October 11th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Using air to wrap the hair around the stick looks and sounds like tangles galore. Especially on super long hair, I can't braid my hair without backbraiding, imagine what kind of back-wrapping and knotting this thing would give me. To me it looks like just another gimmick made for attention and hundreds of funny youtube videos :shrug: there's been soo many of them on the market lately, remember that bulky curling iron that sucks up and curls your hair on its own (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLA4tFR3xg)? Or the new reverse blowdryer that looks and works just like a vacuum cleaner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeeuDFjBnqE)? In the end of the day everyone's still using plain and simple curling wands, wrapping your hair around a hot stick with your own hands isn't that hard.

I'm super interested to see those funny youtube reviews though, I mean, it is quite unique-looking!

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I'm not willing to believe that at all; but you do you. Not going to argue over it. :flower:

And if regular vacuums can do the job & do it well, then I don't know what the extra is? I mean you don't want so much power that it is going to lift off your carpet from the floor. ;)

You don't have to believe it. I know because I've tried numerous stick vacuums over the last 5 years including Shark, Hoovers, Bissell and they all got returned.

I have two dogs, and every single one I've tried has not lifted all the dust. I know because I went over the same area with my Dyson and it picked up what the others left behind (fine dust.)

No offense, but I don't believe you understand the difference until you compare side by side.

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Using air to wrap the hair around the stick looks and sounds like tangles galore. Especially on super long hair, I can't braid my hair without backbraiding, imagine what kind of back-wrapping and knotting this thing would give me. To me it looks like just another gimmick made for attention and hundreds of funny youtube videos :shrug: there's been soo many of them on the market lately, remember that bulky curling iron that sucks up and curls your hair on its own (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLA4tFR3xg)? Or the new reverse blowdryer that looks and works just like a vacuum cleaner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeeuDFjBnqE)? In the end of the day everyone's still using plain and simple curling wands, wrapping your hair around a hot stick with your own hands isn't that hard.

I'm super interested to see those funny youtube reviews though, I mean, it is quite unique-looking!

It didn't look like her hair got tangled at all. But I'm sure some hair types will.

Obsidian
October 11th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Its a really interesting concept and would be awesome if it works as advertised. One issue I see is it looks like the curls are fairly loose. If you don't leave the hair on the curler long enough to completely dry, the curls will just fall flat. I think I'd want to start with dry hair and add mousse or a light styler then curl.

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Its a really interesting concept and would be awesome if it works as advertised. One issue I see is it looks like the curls are fairly loose. If you don't leave the hair on the curler long enough to completely dry, the curls will just fall flat. I think I'd want to start with dry hair and add mousse or a light styler then curl.

Yes, she said in the video (the second one) that the hair needs to be damp, not wet .. so you're right. The nice thing are the attachments. One is a dryer attachment. Unfortunately, you can't control the heat setting like you can on their dryers. That's the huge downside for me.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 09:18 AM
You don't have to believe it. I know because I've tried numerous stick vacuums over the last 5 years including Shark, Hoovers, Bissell and they all got returned.

I have two dogs, and every single one I've tried has not lifted all the dust. I know because I went over the same area with my Dyson and it picked up what the others left behind (fine dust.)

No offense, but I don't believe you understand the difference until you compare side by side.

Can I remark that you "seem" to like higher-end products, in everything, hair care, even this? Or, am I just assuming things. ;)

I had a dog and my Miele (with HEPA filter) did just fine. Our Nilfisk does fine (which is 40+ years old) and my mom's Kruidvat and Aldi vacuums are fine too (and can even be adjusted in strength).

It's good that you like your Dyson though, otherwise it would have been a terrible waste of money. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
October 11th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Can I remark that you "seem" to like higher-end products, in everything, hair care, even this? Or, am I just assuming things. ;)

I had a dog and my Miele (with HEPA filter) did just fine. Our Nilfisk does fine (which is 40+ years old) and my mom's Kruidvat and Aldi vacuums are fine too (and can even be adjusted in strength).

It's good that you like your Dyson though, otherwise it would have been a terrible waste of money. :flower:

With respect, there is 'just fine' (as in, does a good enough job) and then there's 'even better'. We are not ones for high-end products, most of our bigger purchases are second-hand and we are pretty sceptical of spending more money than absolutely necessary. 'Just fine' pretty much sums up our requirements for most things. We've tried a few new vacuum cleaners when they were on special offer after our 20+ year old Henry hoover started making funny noises and smelling of oil. We tried a few with and without HEPA filters (we have a cat) and oh boy, the Dyson stick was something else! It did such a good job that I would not have believed it without seeing it! Eventually we settled on a Hetty hoover for heavier jobs/larger areas (stones or grass brought in from the garden, or dry spillages, for example) but we still have the Dyson and use it for everything else. Plus it's infinitely easier to take up and down the stairs!

Back on topic, I'm personally wary of any heat/air styling product for my hair because of tangles, but that's just me (plus I'm not that co-ordinated, so the potential for user error is very high here!)

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Nope, that's incorrect. I prefer good products. Some are high end, some are not. For instance, I love babybliss hair products- that's as middle of the road as you can get..lol. I also use Neutrogena products, and Dove soaps. etc. Whatever works well for me actually so it's all over the place from drugstore, to high end - department stores to luxury brands.

I think I said in my first post that my parents Miele comes pretty close, so yes I'm not surprised that your Miele worked.

But I have two dogs, and was looking for a stick vacuum because we just don't have the room in the city for a canister which is usually more powerful.
The sticks I've tried over the years just haven't come close. Their engines are weaker, much weaker and they don't suck up as much. I really have tried. Vacuums are definitely not where I want to spend my money. But I can't stand knowing the others have left behind dust and pet hair, even if I can't see it.

nycelle
October 11th, 2018, 09:35 AM
With respect, there is 'just fine' (as in, does a good enough job) and then there's 'even better'. We are not ones for high-end products, most of our bigger purchases are second-hand and we are pretty sceptical of spending more money than absolutely necessary. 'Just fine' pretty much sums up our requirements for most things. We've tried a few new vacuum cleaners when they were on special offer after our 20+ year old Henry hoover started making funny noises and smelling of oil. We tried a few with and without HEPA filters (we have a cat) and oh boy, the Dyson stick was something else! It did such a good job that I would not have believed it without seeing it! Eventually we settled on a Hetty hoover for heavier jobs/larger areas (stones or grass brought in from the garden, or dry spillages, for example) but we still have the Dyson and use it for everything else. Plus it's infinitely easier to take up and down the stairs!

Back on topic, I'm personally wary of any heat/air styling product for my hair because of tangles, but that's just me (plus I'm not that co-ordinated, so the potential for user error is very high here!)

She did say in the video that takes in a minute to get used to it, so there's definitely a learning curve. OMG.. can just imagine that for some, that learning curve might cause some serious issues. Guessing it's easier on shorter hair as well.

Doreen
October 11th, 2018, 10:13 AM
This looks very interesting... I don't ever curl my hair but if I did it seems like a useful tool to save time since it dries and curls at the same time. I feel like my hair goes from wet to damp pretty quickly but from damp to fully dry takes quite a while. If I had the money I would definitely buy their hair dryer.

littlestarface
October 11th, 2018, 11:02 AM
I dont like this curling thing at all but I love dyson vacuums. Its a fact that dyson vacuums work better than any vacuum in the market nothing comes close. I tried dyson a few times, I wish I could afford it but I am poor girl but when I used it goodness it picked up so much stuff and I even vacuumed with my regular vacuum before it too. Some high quality stuff is worth the price.

lapushka
October 11th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Nope, that's incorrect. I prefer good products. Some are high end, some are not. For instance, I love babybliss hair products- that's as middle of the road as you can get..lol. I also use Neutrogena products, and Dove soaps. etc. Whatever works well for me actually so it's all over the place from drugstore, to high end - department stores to luxury brands.

I think I said in my first post that my parents Miele comes pretty close, so yes I'm not surprised that your Miele worked.

But I have two dogs, and was looking for a stick vacuum because we just don't have the room in the city for a canister which is usually more powerful.
The sticks I've tried over the years just haven't come close. Their engines are weaker, much weaker and they don't suck up as much. I really have tried. Vacuums are definitely not where I want to spend my money. But I can't stand knowing the others have left behind dust and pet hair, even if I can't see it.

I have a few babyliss products too. My backup blowdryer for instance. It is hotter than my Braun one, so it's in "backup mode". ;)

Hmmm... maybe I should try out that blow dryer, if it at one point becomes a better price. I am kind of hesitant that powerful means more heat, though. :hmm:

illicitlizard
October 11th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Oof this thread is like listening to my dad talk about his dyson all those years ago, the fanboys are out :P I have no idea about stick vacuums, but yeah the big ball dyson works better than similarly priced and sized vacuums, can't say it's the best on the market though, especially in terms of build quality (feels kinda flimsy). Got mine a couple hundred off on sale so it was defs worth it. My parents have a Miele that's much suckier (a good thing in this case) but also much more expensive.

Back to topic though, I know hairdressers love the dyson hairdryers, so they're clearly doing something right. I feel like this will be a godsend for some people, especially those who like to round brush etc. but can't achieve a good result at home. The curling mechanism is looking more and more attractive as I look at it tbh, mostly because you don't need a heat protecting glove to hold the hair around the barrel and risk burns. Not to mention there's something futuristic about the hands free swirling. Though as with many things, the price will be prohibitive to most and it likely won't work on every hair type...

MadHatter
October 11th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I'm not big on curling (haven't curled my hair in.... I don't even know how many years), but that blow-out round-brush looking attachment... You could persuade me without too much effort to use it..
I just wish it wasn't so pricey. But as others have said, if it's THAT good, it may well be worth the cost...
Gotta keep an eye out for specials, I suppose :D

Longlegs
October 11th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Way overpriced in my opinion, you'd have to use it alot to justify the cost.
Just checked and it retails for $699 in Australia.

illicitlizard
October 12th, 2018, 02:35 AM
Way overpriced in my opinion, you'd have to use it alot to justify the cost.
Just checked and it retails for $699 in Australia.

IKR?? So expensive here. I could never justify that much on a heat tool, I nearly didn't buy my hair straightener because it was so expensive and that was only a couple hundred AUD.

lapushka
October 12th, 2018, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't be able to afford it; it's about the price of a phone or computer. So... no! If it were half the cost it would probably be different for a lot of people.

How much is their blow dryer/diffuser again? 300/400 euro in this country. Wow.

I think I'll have to pass. I am on a tight budget and will make due with what I have. :flower:

Joules
October 12th, 2018, 06:53 AM
So I just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKchfbA2UU

On the one hand you're getting a lot for this amount of money. There's a blowdryer, two brushes and two curling wands, supposedly of supreme quality. So the price is justified in my opinion.

On the other hand look closely at the lady's hair when she's curling it. The ends escape the air flow and don't get curled at all. Just like I predicted, there's a certain lack of control over the process, using a curling iron is still much more effective. Besides, the curls don't hold. So there's that.

nycelle
October 12th, 2018, 07:06 AM
According to the couple of videos I saw, the attachments make the price worthwhile if you're someone that gets their hair regularly done at a salon.
Supposedly, it's much easy to get a professional look with the attachments.

Considering a wash/blowout here costs upwards of 40 USD plus tip, then yes, I can see how it will appeal to many women, even at the 500 USD price point.

nycelle
October 12th, 2018, 07:22 AM
So I just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKchfbA2UU

On the one hand you're getting a lot for this amount of money. There's a blowdryer, two brushes and two curling wands, supposedly of supreme quality. So the price is justified in my opinion.

On the other hand look closely at the lady's hair when she's curling it. The ends escape the air flow and don't get curled at all. Just like I predicted, there's a certain lack of control over the process, using a curling iron is still much more effective. Besides, the curls don't hold. So there's that.

I did not watch this entire video, but I saw a couple of others where the ends were curled just fine. I don't know why her ends weren't holding, but it looked to me like she didn't do it correctly even though she supposed to know how to use it. I didn't see this issue in the other ones I saw. But, the truth is the best results are going to be by someone that has lots of experience using it on their hair.

This morning I read 20 something reviews of it on Sephora's site. Not many, but so far, they were all positive. Waiting for more opinions until I decide.

LittleOgre
October 12th, 2018, 09:52 AM
There blowdryer is waaay to expensive lol

littlestarface
October 19th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Brad did a video on this, its so funny :rollin::rollin:

https://youtu.be/4niOr_lWaPY

lapushka
October 19th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Could they have known the curling wands were a bit of a "miss", hence all the other add-ons? :)

Joules
October 23rd, 2018, 08:03 AM
Bunny (grav3yardgirl) did a video on airwrap, her hair is about hip length (maybe even longer) with some face-framing layers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRga87QI4bs

nycelle
October 23rd, 2018, 08:21 AM
There's a learning curve with this tool, they even said that.. so no surprise that she had a problem.

I tried it over the weekend, and if you don't have patience to get the hang of it, this is definitely not for you. The sales associate who was showing me how to use it had gorgeous waves though, and she knew what she was doing. I however did not, and looked like a spaz trying to do it. I couldn't get it to work correctly for a good few minutes. I finally kind of started getting the hang of it (or at least I'd like to think I did..) but since I don't use heat tools often enough, it wasn't worth the price for me.

btw, her hair looks extremely damaged from mid-length down, like hay. If I were her, I'd lay off the heat styling tools for a while.

MoonRabbit
October 23rd, 2018, 11:22 AM
Bunny (grav3yardgirl) did a video on airwrap, her hair is about hip length (maybe even longer) with some face-framing layers

These types of heat tools just seem so pointless to me. I don't know why so many brands are trying to market the "it wraps your hair for you so it saves time" gimmick. If you don't have the exact type of texture, the only thing it is going to cause is a major tangle fest. Even if I had shorter hair, There is no way my texture would ever allow this tool to work without a lot of knots and damage. And the length of the barrel is ridiculously small.

littlestarface
October 23rd, 2018, 10:06 PM
my favorite guy made a review on it too

https://youtu.be/JLnPK5IzdWU

Princess Kitti
October 23rd, 2018, 11:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRga87QI4bs

I was going to mention checking out bunny's video...I just watched it last night. Learning curves aside, it did not seem to cope with her hair length very well. And it was very hot!

AutobotsAttack
October 23rd, 2018, 11:45 PM
How no absolute idea how that’s gonna fair for relaxed Afro textured hair like mine.
I searched on YouTube and couldn’t find anyone with hair in the Kinky 4’s doing any reviews yet.
From a min obvious standpoint I think the money is in the blow dryer, and seeing how well it separates
and dries evenly. Not liking how fine toothed that comb attachment looks though. Like at all.

nycelle
October 24th, 2018, 06:07 AM
I was going to mention checking out bunny's video...I just watched it last night. Learning curves aside, it did not seem to cope with her hair length very well. And it was very hot!

When I tried it, it felt cooler than what I remember my hairdryer feeling like. But it's been a long while since I blow dried so could be wrong. But since it is a hairdryer with attachments, it needs to be hot enough to dry and style.

I saw a video with another girl that has hair her length and it did fine. Learning how to use it properly makes a huge difference. The problem is for most it's gonna take time, so it's not exactly user friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9CzXqQ0PI

Kyaatje
October 24th, 2018, 02:39 PM
The only thing I have to say is: I never realised at what temperatures styling thins were working.
I never even use a blow dryer.
But because of this thread, I decided to look up what regular styling wands list as the minimum and maximum temperatures.
First of most don't list them at all or only the maximum setting (230°C) and when I find a minimum it is usually between 150°C and 180°C.
Which made me think: when I fry fries (hmm) for my mother in law the setting I'm doing this on is 180°C
Which in turn made me realise that I didn't want to use something like that :p (I saw an electric styling brush not to long ago and was thinking that it would be nice to have straight hair now and again)

kidari
October 27th, 2018, 02:56 PM
At first I wanted this so bad, but now the desire is completely gone. It uses heat, seems time consuming, and more trouble than it's worth. I'm glad that there were some honest, unsponsored reviews on this product. I think that if you are a longhair this won't work anyway: you're putting heated air directly onto the mid-lengths/ends of your hair (never more than 302 degrees I've found out), it's probably annoying to get it to wrap correctly on long hair, and it's going to not last that long anyway if your hair is super long and heavy. You have to grab sections of your hair that needs to be the right amount of dampness... seems like too much hassle and too much money in my opinion. I'm so happy I don't want this anymore.

lapushka
October 27th, 2018, 03:27 PM
KathleenLights did a review on it, and that to me was the most honest and thorough one so far, AND on long(er) hair too. Wait. I will link it for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhRAnBTJyc&t=0s

Strands
October 27th, 2018, 05:27 PM
I used to sell Dyson products at Bed Bath and Beyond, and when new products would come out we could get them for a steal of a deal to test them since we had to sell them. Dyson is incredible. I wish I could afford them now, but there is nothing like them.

However, I do not like the idea of using heat on my hair at all, so I will likely steer clear of this item. But wow. What a cool idea. I loved the look of her blowout, but again, I don't use those kinds of things anymore. My high porosity hair punishes me severely for that kind of thing.

Strands
October 27th, 2018, 05:29 PM
KathleenLights did a review on it, and that to me was the most honest and thorough one so far, AND on long(er) hair too. Wait. I will link it for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhRAnBTJyc&t=0s

"Its like really hot // burning the side of my face"

WELP. Got my answer then. XD NOPE from me.

illicitlizard
October 27th, 2018, 07:19 PM
"Its like really hot // burning the side of my face"

WELP. Got my answer then. XD NOPE from me.

She did say she was using it on high heat so maybe it'd be less of a burn on a lower setting? Though yeah that kinda makes sense, blowdryers always feel really hot even when they don't heat to the temperature of a straightener/curling wand because they're blasting hot air at you.
Still wouldn't purchase for that price (also where to store all the attachments you'd never use?)

*Wednesday*
October 28th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Brad did a video on this, its so funny :rollin::rollin:

https://youtu.be/4niOr_lWaPY

I absolutely love Brad. I like his review. He's so adorable.

I watched a few reviews. It seems to be the hair "catching" onto the wand isn't consistent which is a key feature. I would suppose it takes practice then may be easier to work it. If your hair won't naturally grip to it, you will have to manually wind the hair onto the wand. In that case plenty of wands under $500.
I see someone selling on EBay for almost a thousand dollars. $999. WTF! It's a beautiful tool. No doubt.

littlestarface
October 28th, 2018, 11:02 PM
I absolutely love Brad. I like his review. He's so adorable.

I watched a few reviews. It seems to be the hair "catching" onto the wand isn't consistent which is a key feature. I would suppose it takes practice then may be easier to work it. If your hair won't naturally grip to it, you will have to manually wind the hair onto the wand. In that case plenty of wands under $500.
I see someone selling on EBay for almost a thousand dollars. $999. WTF! It's a beautiful tool. No doubt.

Oh deal lord, I really hope no one falls for that crap and buys it for $1000 and its probably not even free shipping.

Sundial
February 1st, 2019, 02:57 AM
So those who have tested the Dyson Airwrap feel that the heat setting is at a high temperature?

I am not sure if you saw the video that went viral - it features a blow drying method that supposedly gives the same result as the Dyson. I don’t have the link but if you input “water bottle hair curl” in YouTube you will get a few results. I was just thinking, if we dry hair using this method with the hair dryer further away, would it be a lot less heat used compared to the Dyson Airwrap? Thoughts?

Aeonian
February 9th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Was checking this product on youtube, it doesn't look really promising, there are way better ways to curl your hair. And the price tag! I know it's Dyson, but still...

SThr
January 17th, 2020, 06:15 AM
I tried this and ended up returning it. It took way too long and needed tiiiiny little bits of hair to do classic length+. It wasn't horribly hot at the low setting, but I found it wasn't worth my time. Putting my hair in pin curls took less time the very first time I tried it!

melesine
December 25th, 2020, 05:44 PM
I’m only at tailbone, but I’ve owned the hair dryer for a couple years and it’s literally changed my life. I used to air dry and it would take 8 hours to be fully dry. So I always had to plan ahead to wash. I had a regular hair dryer but I would get my hair sucked in the intake. The Dyson shield on the intake makes it impossible to suck my hair into the motor. I’ve basically used the dryer after 95% of my washes since I bought it about 3 years ago. I haven’t trimmed in almost a year and I have no splits. I mostly diffuse.

I recently bought the air wrap because they did come out with the long barrels in the curling wands. I knew the standard ones wouldn’t be long enough. I have wanted this since it came out but waited. I’ve watched videos on using the air wrap multiple times from different people before buying. As a result I had zero issues using the curling wands first time. It does not tangle my hair. I just grasp about 5 inches from the end and let the air wrap it and then gradually move my hand closer to my head as so it winds to my scalp. It took about 20 minutes to do my whole head but I have a nape undercut that goes to the top of my ears. I do section my hair at the temple and tie the top up while curling the bottom.

I’ve only tried it once so far. It takes about 25 seconds to do each section including the cold shot to set. I think I should have focused on pre drying my scalp more before starting the styling. The air wrap dryer attachment won’t replace my Dyson dryer for a full dry if I want to diffuse. But everyone is different. I used medium heat on the air wrap. I’m going to experiment with pin curling the curls as I remove them from the wand and finish the rest of my hair. But all in all, I really like it. My hair is so shiny using either machine and I can flatten my more poofy areas if I need to. I resisted buying because diffusing and then spin binning my hair gives me massive curl. But this gives a different look, and more control over my scalp areas volume. They are both expensive. I get that. I admit that I like high end products. But only if I feel the value is there for me. In this case I’ve been happy

melesine
December 25th, 2020, 05:46 PM
So those who have tested the Dyson Airwrap feel that the heat setting is at a high temperature?

I am not sure if you saw the video that went viral - it features a blow drying method that supposedly gives the same result as the Dyson. I don’t have the link but if you input “water bottle hair curl” in YouTube you will get a few results. I was just thinking, if we dry hair using this method with the hair dryer further away, would it be a lot less heat used compared to the Dyson Airwrap? Thoughts?

It has three heat settings plus cold shot. It also has three speed settings for the air. I used medium heat

Jools69
December 26th, 2020, 01:10 AM
I’m only at tailbone, but I’ve owned the hair dryer for a couple years and it’s literally changed my life. I used to air dry and it would take 8 hours to be fully dry. So I always had to plan ahead to wash. I had a regular hair dryer but I would get my hair sucked in the intake. The Dyson shield on the intake makes it impossible to suck my hair into the motor. I’ve basically used the dryer after 95% of my washes since I bought it about 3 years ago. I haven’t trimmed in almost a year and I have no splits. I mostly diffuse.

I recently bought the air wrap because they did come out with the long barrels in the curling wands. I knew the standard ones wouldn’t be long enough. I have wanted this since it came out but waited. I’ve watched videos on using the air wrap multiple times from different people before buying. As a result I had zero issues using the curling wands first time. It does not tangle my hair. I just grasp about 5 inches from the end and let the air wrap it and then gradually move my hand closer to my head as so it winds to my scalp. It took about 20 minutes to do my whole head but I have a nape undercut that goes to the top of my ears. I do section my hair at the temple and tie the top up while curling the bottom.

I’ve only tried it once so far. It takes about 25 seconds to do each section including the cold shot to set. I think I should have focused on pre drying my scalp more before starting the styling. The air wrap dryer attachment won’t replace my Dyson dryer for a full dry if I want to diffuse. But everyone is different. I used medium heat on the air wrap. I’m going to experiment with pin curling the curls as I remove them from the wand and finish the rest of my hair. But all in all, I really like it. My hair is so shiny using either machine and I can flatten my more poofy areas if I need to. I resisted buying because diffusing and then spin binning my hair gives me massive curl. But this gives a different look, and more control over my scalp areas volume. They are both expensive. I get that. I admit that I like high end products. But only if I feel the value is there for me. In this case I’ve been happy

I use one of the paddle brushes to almost dry the roots first, as I also found the roots have remained damp after curling. Also found pinning after curling has kept the curls in for longer, but does take time and sometimes the clips can become stuck, pulling some hair out.

The highest heat setting is also too hot for my scalp. I think it’s because it’s literally blowing the air directly onto the scalp. So I started using it on medium heat and had the same results. I have noticed some demonstrators don’t take the wand too close to the scalp when curling, but this would leave some ‘straight’ roots - which I don’t like, as I like volume too.

melesine
December 26th, 2020, 12:47 PM
I’m going to try the paddle brush at the scalp during pre styling dry. I think that is a great idea. I’m glad pin curling is working for you on helping the curls. I think it’s possible I need to use cold shot for more than five seconds too. I think I did 10 seconds on heat for curling and five for cold shot. But my hair did feel dry. I also saw in some you tube videos from a Dyson styler (she said she works for dyson) that 60% wet works better for her. She has extensions though so her hair is super thick. I need to play around more.

ZoeZ
December 26th, 2020, 06:38 PM
This just looks scary to me - good thing too because I couldn't afford it either.

It looks like it would be very difficult to control the roots of the hair as well as the curl part - I don't see the point of curling hair and having straight flat roots - i'd like my hair to look naturally curly from the roots to the ends (which it isn't) so there's no point for me. The time it would take to do a whole head is daunting as well. And as I've very fine hair, I think probably there would be some epic tangling! I suppose it may depend heavily on your hair type as to how it turns out - and the videos don't exactly give me a lot of confidence.

So a big nope from me on so many levels. I wouldn't have the patience to even let an experienced hairdresser use it on me.

I would love to see any results from people on this board though, I could be completely off base with my opinion.

Jools69
December 27th, 2020, 11:56 AM
I’m going to try the paddle brush at the scalp during pre styling dry. I think that is a great idea. I’m glad pin curling is working for you on helping the curls. I think it’s possible I need to use cold shot for more than five seconds too. I think I did 10 seconds on heat for curling and five for cold shot. But my hair did feel dry. I also saw in some you tube videos from a Dyson styler (she said she works for dyson) that 60% wet works better for her. She has extensions though so her hair is super thick. I need to play around more.

I think I use the cold shot for longer too - probably 10 seconds+, and I also boost it by reducing the heat to low, as well as holding the cold shot button. By pinning them, it also helps to cool any remaining strands that are still warm.

Jools69
December 27th, 2020, 12:03 PM
This was taken after sleeping in the curls whilst pinned and then put up in a clip for work. Hence being flat and straight around the head.

https://i.imgur.com/qArMYLz.jpg

melesine
December 27th, 2020, 12:37 PM
Yesterday I did a straight style by pre drying to about 70%, then the smoothing brush to dry concentrating on the scalp. Then I used the round brush at the scalp for some shape and pinned the very end to help my fairy tail ends have some curl. I really liked this style because normally I have to sleep with my hair down to get it this flat. I like that I can finely control each area of my hair.

melesine
December 27th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Your hair looks awesome Jools69

Jools69
December 27th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Your hair looks awesome Jools69

Thanks Melesine. Have fun playing with your airwrap!

conniekamilla
November 27th, 2021, 12:12 AM
This was taken after sleeping in the curls whilst pinned and then put up in a clip for work. Hence being flat and straight around the head.

https://i.imgur.com/qArMYLz.jpg

It looks beautiful!! These curls make me want to bite the bullet and test it myself. Worst case scenario I'll return it. Gorgeous hair!!

Jools69
November 27th, 2021, 02:16 PM
It looks beautiful!! These curls make me want to bite the bullet and test it myself. Worst case scenario I'll return it. Gorgeous hair!!
Thank you. I believe Dyson has an extended trial period at the moment and the new Prussian blue colour is gorgeous!

lakhesis
December 5th, 2021, 12:15 AM
I got the Air wrap for my birthday... and it is currently all back in original packaging waiting to be returned :-(
Kinda sad about the whole situation, because I really wanted it to work, the product is just soo beautiful, I have the new limited dark blue and gold version, everything feels so luxurious.

I am at fingertip (about to cut it back to classic, so not calling anything) and my main issue is - the curls just won't hold. I feel like I would destroy my hair if I kept trying to use it.

I have the long barrels, at medium heat the thicker set didn't create any curl at all. I tried wetting my hair, using thinner sections, holding it on for longer or using the cold shot for longer. I would get slight wave at most and it didn't last.
The thinner barrels curled the ends only and it fell out completely within 5 minutes.
(Surprisingly, no tangles, it was easy to use, but I also watched a lot of videos)

The brush attachments are useless for me because as it is blowing, my hair gets tangled before the brush reaches the end. That's even after I detangle my wet hair before using the brush attachment and I really don't want to start brushing my wet hair too often.

I am not touching the round brush attachment due to past trauma with round brushes.

And I cannot justify keeping it just because of the blowdryer attachment, when I have well functioning blowdryer that I use maybe once per three months.

I think it's great for someone max at waist or maybe tailbone, who already styles their hair often and would minimize the damage from hot tools by switching to airwrap.

ZoeZ
December 5th, 2021, 05:59 AM
My hair is also very hard to curl (confession here: I was a devotee of perms for many years, :rolleyes: ) but now, in it's natural state, any curls, whether done with curlers or hot irons, always fall out without carpetbombing with hairspray. I have very fine hair, although reasonably thick. It just doesn't want to take a curl. Never did.

Now I've grown it out to waist, it's much easier to live with fairly straight hair. I've never tried a Dyson, way too expensive for the few times I would actually use it, but it is sad when you think you've found something that should work, but won't.

Jools69
December 5th, 2021, 10:34 AM
I got the Air wrap for my birthday... and it is currently all back in original packaging waiting to be returned :-(
Kinda sad about the whole situation, because I really wanted it to work, the product is just soo beautiful, I have the new limited dark blue and gold version, everything feels so luxurious.

I am at fingertip (about to cut it back to classic, so not calling anything) and my main issue is - the curls just won't hold. I feel like I would destroy my hair if I kept trying to use it.

I have the long barrels, at medium heat the thicker set didn't create any curl at all. I tried wetting my hair, using thinner sections, holding it on for longer or using the cold shot for longer. I would get slight wave at most and it didn't last.
The thinner barrels curled the ends only and it fell out completely within 5 minutes.
(Surprisingly, no tangles, it was easy to use, but I also watched a lot of videos)

The brush attachments are useless for me because as it is blowing, my hair gets tangled before the brush reaches the end. That's even after I detangle my wet hair before using the brush attachment and I really don't want to start brushing my wet hair too often.

I am not touching the round brush attachment due to past trauma with round brushes.

And I cannot justify keeping it just because of the blowdryer attachment, when I have well functioning blowdryer that I use maybe once per three months.

I think it's great for someone max at waist or maybe tailbone, who already styles their hair often and would minimize the damage from hot tools by switching to airwrap.
Have you tried using the 20mm size long barrels and pinning them as you go? I find this helps keeping the curl for most of the day, as I sometimes find it difficult to know if they’re fully dried, and not just warm and still damp.

I’m not very adept with the round brushes, too. I just use them to create volume at the root.

Isle-of-Mel
December 5th, 2021, 03:02 PM
I got the air wrap last year for Christmas, my hair doesn’t hold curl well (even with overnight curls)… but I still like it, I end up with lots of volume and wave when I use the smaller barrel. My hair is only just waist length and I don’t find it makes it tangled, I haven’t been using it much in the last 3 months because I’m trying to stay away from heat, but I’m glad I have it… although I would say that I find curling iron curls last longer and give a more ‘sleek’ look, so I’d say it just depends on what you’re looking for ��

lakhesis
December 5th, 2021, 09:51 PM
Have you tried using the 20mm size long barrels and pinning them as you go? I find this helps keeping the curl for most of the day, as I sometimes find it difficult to know if they’re fully dried, and not just warm and still damp.

I’m not very adept with the round brushes, too. I just use them to create volume at the root.

I did pin one of the curls to try to make it work, but it fell out fast anyway. The issue is even right after I take it down from the barrel, the midsection upwards is not curled at all.
Even if I pinned the entire head I would probably just find it easier (and faster) to braid my hair into a scarf the day before I want wavy hair rather than using the airwrap.
But Jools69, your results are super super pretty, like from a hair commercial! It shows that the tool itself is good, it's just not for everyone.

Jools69
December 6th, 2021, 12:27 AM
I did pin one of the curls to try to make it work, but it fell out fast anyway. The issue is even right after I take it down from the barrel, the midsection upwards is not curled at all.
Even if I pinned the entire head I would probably just find it easier (and faster) to braid my hair into a scarf the day before I want wavy hair rather than using the airwrap.
But Jools69, your results are super super pretty, like from a hair commercial! It shows that the tool itself is good, it's just not for everyone.
Thank you. I love curly hair (I would have another perm if they weren’t so damaging!) and feel it suits me wonderfully. My hair was about BSL-MBL then and after leaving the pins in overnight. It can take me well over an hour to do now with hip length hair - a bit of a laborious task now! To be honest, it still can be a bit of trial and error getting it right, as I don’t use it often enough and I don’t like how it blows hot air onto my scalp and ears - I only use medium heat.

Sorry that it didn’t work for you and for the price of the device, it’s a lot of money for not achieving the desired results. I have a bundle of hints and tips if you would like to try again before sending it back. The commercials do make it look so easy, but they are very good at showing that!

lakhesis
December 6th, 2021, 03:24 AM
Thank you. I love curly hair (I would have another perm if they weren’t so damaging!) and feel it suits me wonderfully. My hair was about BSL-MBL then and after leaving the pins in overnight. It can take me well over an hour to do now with hip length hair - a bit of a laborious task now! To be honest, it still can be a bit of trial and error getting it right, as I don’t use it often enough and I don’t like how it blows hot air onto my scalp and ears - I only use medium heat.

Sorry that it didn’t work for you and for the price of the device, it’s a lot of money for not achieving the desired results. I have a bundle of hints and tips if you would like to try again before sending it back. The commercials do make it look so easy, but they are very good at showing that!

It definitely suits you! :) If I had your results, I would be keeping it 100 percent.
Feel free to share the tips, although we are probably taking it back tonight already.

Jools69
December 10th, 2021, 01:15 AM
It definitely suits you! :) If I had your results, I would be keeping it 100 percent.
Feel free to share the tips, although we are probably taking it back tonight already.
Thank you! :)

Ok. I’m probably a bit late posting this, as I had trouble getting on with ‘server is busy’ messages, so this may help anyone else struggling.

1. The airwrap can be used on freshly washed hair, or spritz to damp on day old hair. Keep a spray bottle nearby to redamp any hair that dries during curling.

2. Dyson recommends starting with hair at least 80% dry - cold to touch but not dripping wet. If it’s too wet, the barrels won’t attract the hair to the barrel.

3. I use supermarket mousse (Pantene) throughout the hair before curling and hairspray (Vo5) afterwards.

4. Make sure the roots are dried first, otherwise the curl will drop. I use one of the paddle type brushes by going down the side of my head, pausing and slightly going back up every couple of inches or so. This allows the bristles to have the right angle to help dry the roots.

5. I section my hair out of the way and start curling from the nape upwards, taking about 1-1 1/2 inch square of hair.

6. As I proceed up my head and ‘release’ the next layer of damp hair to be curled, I clip it away the hair I’m not working on from the newly curled hair, as not to damp the newly curled hair.

7. It’s important to achieve the correct ‘tension’. To do this, as I bring the barrel towards the scalp, moving it back and forth several times, making the hair wrap around the barrel tighter. If I have difficulty doing this, I’ll manually roll it tight to the scalp.

8. Depending upon the level of dampness, I leave the hair on the barrel until dry using medium heat and speed, before using the cool shot. This isn’t a set time - only when I think the hair is completely dry. This may take a couple of minutes or so. Sometimes I may blast it with high heat and speed at the beginning for a short time.

9. When the hair is fully dry on the barrel by feeling it, I carefully remove it by pushing it off the barrel with my fingers, not just pulling it off by removing the barrel. This can cause the ringlet to pull out of shape.

10. If I’m not pinning: I’ll hold it still coiled for a couple of seconds in the palm of my hand and spray lightly with hairspray before releasing. When I’ve finished curling, I leave the curls in ringlets for several minutes before manipulating.

11. If I’m pinning: as I push the hair off the barrel with my finger, I place my thumb on the end of the barrel to ‘catch’ the hole of the ringlet as it comes off the barrels, keeping the ringlet still coiled. Then I pin it to the scalp. By pinning it, it helps to set the curl more by letting it cool further and dry if I’ve misjudged its dryness. I’ll leave them pinned anything from several hours to overnight under my sleeping cap/bonnet.

12. After I’ve carefully unpinned, I lightly spritz with hairspray and leave for several minutes before handling.

13. I don’t brush out to style, but gently pull apart each ringlet from the bottom upwards. Otherwise, it will knot at the bottom of each ringlet.

14. Give a light spritz with hairspray when done.

This works for me. Although I’ve noticed as my hair has gotten longer, it take more time, smaller sections are needed (even with the longer barrels) and doesn’t last more than a day. Hence I only curl it for special occasions.

lakhesis you have lovely hair and I’m sure you’ll find a great alternative!