PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to "work" for long hair?

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I was thinking about it, and in order to get my hair where I want it, I really think I'm going to have to put more effort in. (This comment made my loved ones laugh. Like I wasn't already serious about hair care? :p ) If I want to get to fingertip length, trim for thicker ends, and grow out breakage, I'll need to be gentler and more intentional about treating my hair well, as well as eventually trimming and so on.

I know some of us do put a lot of effort into our hair, with DTs and other pampering activities. Then there's the benign neglect contingent who put it up in an easy bun every day and just wait.

I'm curious -- where do you fall? Do you consider your hair's length/condition/etc to be an achievement that you worked for, or is it just something you more or less let happen?

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 08:22 AM
As I am super new to this i will be watching this thread closely :popcorn: , I seriously damaged my hair with bleach and have to work for recovery and growth (avoiding breakage and doing microtrims to eventually get rif of it)... This is going to be a Very interesting thread.

lapushka
October 10th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I was thinking about it, and in order to get my hair where I want it, I really think I'm going to have to put more effort in. (This comment made my loved ones laugh. Like I wasn't already serious about hair care? :p ) If I want to get to fingertip length, trim for thicker ends, and grow out breakage, I'll need to be gentler and more intentional about treating my hair well, as well as eventually trimming and so on.

I know some of us do put a lot of effort into our hair, with DTs and other pampering activities. Then there's the benign neglect contingent who put it up in an easy bun every day and just wait.

I'm curious -- where do you fall? Do you consider your hair's length/condition/etc to be an achievement that you worked for, or is it just something you more or less let happen?

I wash it Sundays, every Sunday, so weekly. I wear it clipped up for the wash day in claw clips, and during the week I wear it loose for bed. When I'm up, I just bun it. I now discovered a Nautilus next to the LWB (lazy wrap bun) I had been wearing since hip. I can just about wrap it around (full hand) once, and that is at FTL. So that's that. :) So I think it's mostly benign neglect for me. And I really enjoy the time I have with it on a Sunday morning. Pampering it, WCC (conditioning twice), and then choosing my products for the LOC/LCO method. Yep, love it!

So it's just benign neglect for me, mostly, I think. :o

Great idea for a thread.

I'm sure this is very different for everyone. YMMV and all.

TreesOfEternity
October 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Hm that's a nice question actually. I think I put some effort in things like waiting long enough for the DT to work instead of rinsing it off quickly and going on with my day, taking the time to finger detangle even when I'm tired and want to go to sleep, taking the time to let it air dry or drying it using the cold setting, planning whasing days ahead so I don't have to neglect any of this steps... But most of all I'm working on my patience and self respect, forgetting about growth as much as I can and leaving my ends alone even when I don't like how they look :meditate:

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 08:55 AM
i wash my hair somewhat 2-3 times a week, and my hair care routine is very easy.
mostly i just begnin neglct it.
hair will grow by itself and i just let it be and enjoy it at every stage (i'm at APL+).
i think i'm just lucky i have thick and strong hair

school of fish
October 10th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Very interesting question! Agreed the answers will likely span a range :)

For myself, I don't feel I have to work at it that much, but then I'm not shooting for extra long lengths - I'm maintaining where I am pretty much indefinitely, and at this length I don't have to go to heroics ;)

My routine feels very low maintenance to me - shampoo/condition daily, airdry, detangle 2-4 times per day depending upon the day's activities/weather conditions, wear loose during the day and bun up at night, microtrim every month, henna the roots & gloss the length every week or two... none of these actions take terribly long and they're so much a part of my daily living that I don't really feel them. It feels like benign neglect to me, even though there's active care going in.

I always handle my hair gently but I don't baby it. I accept the inevitable bits of damage/breakage I incur from living my life. I accept it both for what it is and what it can't be, and I enjoy it every day. I think that if I had to pour what feels like real work into it, that would kind of kill the joy for me :)

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 09:31 AM
As some of you have mentioned, it does seem to depend on length goals. I'm at a sort of tipping point I feel, with wanting to grow past classic. My hair is also not especially resilient or thick -- you're lucky, Sid0rela! I get breakage and white dots more than splits. I kind of wish my hair would lean more towards splits so it would be less likely to break off!

aethyra
October 10th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Very interesting question! Agreed the answers will likely span a range :)

For myself, I don't feel I have to work at it that much, but then I'm not shooting for extra long lengths - I'm maintaining where I am pretty much indefinitely, and at this length I don't have to go to heroics ;)

My routine feels very low maintenance to me - shampoo/condition daily, airdry, detangle 2-4 times per day depending upon the day's activities/weather conditions, wear loose during the day and bun up at night, microtrim every month, henna the roots & gloss the length every week or two... none of these actions take terribly long and they're so much a part of my daily living that I don't really feel them. It feels like benign neglect to me, even though there's active care going in.

I always handle my hair gently but I don't baby it. I accept the inevitable bits of damage/breakage I incur from living my life. I accept it both for what it is and what it can't be, and I enjoy it every day. I think that if I had to pour what feels like real work into it, that would kind of kill the joy for me :)
I am still trying to understand your signature verbiage. Is that what you currebtly do as a regimen or are those past hair mistakes?

Joules
October 10th, 2018, 10:12 AM
I found that new length milestones bring new challenges. Like, when my hair was waist length I just oiled it, washed, conditioned and put one leave-in in, all cone-free. Then when it grew past waist my ends demanded more, so I started doing LCO method and S&Ding regularly, otherwise I won't get too far with those splits. When I reached hip my hair went crazy and I had to re-evaluate everything I knew about my hair. Now I'm almost at BCL I need to use silicones, I oil my hair, then shampoo, then use two conditioners and three leave-ins...and I have a feeling it's only gonna get crazier as my hair grows longer :shrug:

So yeah. As much as I neglect my hair between wash days (well, I put it into a protective style and then neglect it), washing and conditioning it now takes significantly more work than it used to.

Then there's also the whole protecting thing, some of the styles that used to be just enough aren't enough anymore. Like I could cook with a braid before, now I can't, because it's just long enough to get singed if I turn my back to my gas stove. I need to keep my hair in mind all the time.

I really enjoy taking care of my hair so it's not a chore for me, but yes, I do need to put some effort into long hair.

squirrrel
October 10th, 2018, 10:13 AM
For me, deep treatment type things vary. It all depends on what I feel like doing. I do enjoy my days at home, when I can try to pamper it. I’m still working out how best to do that. Night time is either a silk sleep cap, or pillowcase, in its plait. It remains plaited during the day (best way for me to avoid tangles) and I’m thinking about putting it up more often, especially at work (atmosphere dries my ends out).

I have a couple of things to work on. For example, not tugging at ‘looser’ hairs in my plait, as often they aren’t as loose as they seem, and that causes breakage. I am also learning how to be gentle post wash, so I don’t get tangles and breakage there.

Otherwise, I have times when I S&D, and have started micro trimming. For me, it’s mostly low key. With a few hot spots where I can do better.

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 10:20 AM
As some of you have mentioned, it does seem to depend on length goals. I'm at a sort of tipping point I feel, with wanting to grow past classic. My hair is also not especially resilient or thick -- you're lucky, Sid0rela! I get breakage and white dots more than splits. I kind of wish my hair would lean more towards splits so it would be less likely to break off!

i've seen thin hair problems in other people and i came to realize im soo lucky.
i cant imagine what a problem would be to worry about hair falling, or hair not looking thick. i even ask hairdressers to use thinning scissors because i cant handle how thick is looks. was also prone to frizzyness, but giving up heat and using oils helped me.
ps: your hair looks gorgeous from your avatar. i hope i have your patience and will to grow hair as long and healthy looking as yours

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 10:31 AM
i've seen thin hair problems in other people and i came to realize im soo lucky.
i cant imagine what a problem would be to worry about hair falling, or hair not looking thick. i even ask hairdressers to use thinning scissors because i cant handle how thick is looks. was also prone to frizzyness, but giving up heat and using oils helped me.
ps: your hair looks gorgeous from your avatar. i hope i have your patience and will to grow hair as long and healthy looking as yours

I'm just glad that the LHC has shown that hair doesn't have to be thick to be beautiful and healthy. And thank you. :flower:

lapushka
October 10th, 2018, 10:42 AM

On the LHC we think *all* hair is beautiful. My mom, for instance, has i, fine, hair that she dyes blonde about 3 to 4 times a year (she's gray/white fully). I love her hair; it is such easy maintenance as she has dry scalp (no flakes) and can go more than a month without washing the hair (no smell, no sebum, nothing).

Maybe check out the thin/fine hair thread sometimes.

We can all do it! :thumbsup:

Doreen
October 10th, 2018, 10:44 AM
I mostly let it happen. I like doing pampering treatments and I want my hair to be as healthy as possible, but the main thing that I do to get long hair is.... just not cut it. And while I do have some breakage and splits my hair isn't prone to damage.

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 10:46 AM
On the LHC we think *all* hair is beautiful. My mom, for instance, has i, fine, hair that she dyes blonde about 3 to 4 times a year (she's gray/white fully). I love her hair; it is such easy maintenance as she has dry scalp (no flakes) and can go more than a month without washing the hair (no smell, no sebum, nothing).

Maybe check out the thin/fine hair thread sometimes.

We can all do it! :thumbsup:

You always say it best. :)

nycelle
October 10th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Thing is, most women do have hair that thins once they reach menopause. They don't have the same pattern as men, but that thick hair they had in their youth, thins out. It's life :shrug: ..

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Also, while we're on the subject, while I do wish my hair was a little tougher, I'm grateful for my middling thickness (and taper) in a lot of ways. I don't outgrow hair toys so much, it's easy to manage and trim, etc etc. Plus stealth can be fun. :cool:

Anyway, thanks to all who are responding, I love reading your answers.

C_Bookworm
October 10th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I’m at the stage of doing exactly what I want with my hair and enjoying it. I wash(sulfate shampoo) and condition(sometimes cones, sometimes not) daily. Work through some sort of leave-in and let it air dry. My style after it’s dry depends on my mood...long and loose, half up, buns, and braids all regularly work through the rotation. I henndigo monthly. I spray perfume (mostly regular perfume but occasionally actual hair perfume) in my hair. I sometimes sleep with a braid, sometimes loose on a silk pillowcase.

Right now my routine is designed to maximize enjoyment. I like the feel of squeaky clean hair. I like the sensation of it drying. I like having hair loose so that it brushes the backs of my arms and elbows. I like letting my hair blow out the window when we’re driving in the car. I like getting a whiff of scent when I take my hair down, or when the wind blows through it.

I know to reach extreme lengths, I would need to be more careful of mechanical damage. This is the greatest danger from my current routine. At the moment, I cut back from BCL to Waist to remove the last of my layers. So I’m positive I can get to at least BCL with healthy hair and the exact routine I’ve got now. How much further than that, I’m unsure. My goal length keeps growing (danger of hanging around here for any amount of time!) and is currently at classic.

To me, changing my routine to be more careful is where the ‘work’ will be involved. I’m unsure if there is any length that means more to me than getting to enjoy my hair daily. It’s more likely that when I hit that tipping point, where my hair is showing damage from my routine, that I’ll make that my stopping point instead of changing up my routine. Given that TBL is so close to BCL, I’m confident I’ll at least get to there. How much further than that remains to be seen.

ETA: Great question! I love seeing the variety of responses!

MusicalSpoons
October 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM
What an interesting question!

I grew to ~TBL with not-so-benign neglect pre-LHC, but my annual 'trim' was always around 6" to get rid of the manky ends. I shampoo+conditioned, let it airdry overnight, brushed it not too carefully and put it in a bun, plait or ponytail using a hair elastic. It was the elastic that was ruining my ends, harsh shampoo ruining my scalp, and the length was meh - not too bad, but not exactly looked-after.

Now, things are a bit different. Well, a lot different. Just growing the length by itself has been no effort at all, just a matter of using hair-friendly tools and styles, but looking after it takes more effort. I have a routine that is low-enough maintenance for me, but it has taken effort to find what works, certainly. Changes like sleeping on satin or with a satin pillowcase over my hair (yes, really - no knots or elastic to rub at my hairline and cause breakage!) are simple, no effort. Double-conditioning/pre-pooing once or twice a week does take more time and effort, though I can get on with stuff now I've figured out how to minimise drips, and ROO is an extra step which just takes a little bit of care not to drop the oil or container (I'm clumsy, and usually quite fatigued by the time I get to shower). Scalp washes require co-ordination to keep the length dry and deal gently with the scalp hair.

But ... I have a routine that works well enough, that I can vary as and when I feel like it, without having to think too much about it. And I'll no doubt have to keep tweaking things as my hair keeps growing (I hope!) but I won't allow it to be too much work - it will have to fit in with my life and my circumstances, and if that means my hair isn't 100% the healthiest it could possibly be, well I'll settle for as healthy as possible under the circumstances :shrug: I enjoy having long hair, I enjoy giving it more attention than I used to, but there's no point it becoming a chore, for me.

tl;dr: I've had to put a reasonable amount of effort in, but I refuse to let it become 'work'.

*Wednesday*
October 10th, 2018, 11:05 AM
I work at my ends, that is for certain. The answer is surely yes I work for long hair.

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 11:11 AM
i'm sorry to you all if i sounded offensive.
i was just talking from my experience. i use thinning scissors anytime i go for a trim, cause i like thinner hair much more than thick.
i didnt wanna sound rude, or insensitive because to me thick hair is a pain in itself.
i love LCH and i come here everytime i get bored from work. i think all ur girls hair is beautiful and are keeping me from cutting a short bob again. :heart:

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 11:23 AM
I guess I will also say that if my hair becomes a chore overall, I probably would cut back. I'm willing to put in work to reach my goals, but I also like to have fun!

i was just talking from my experience. i use thinning scissors anytime i go for a trim, cause i like thinner hair much more than thick.
i didnt wanna sound rude, or insensitive because to me thick hair is a pain in itself.
i love LCH and i come here everytime i get bored from work. i think all ur girls hair is beautiful and are keeping me from cutting a short bob again. :heart:
This site certainly is great inspiration. Do you have a goal in mind?

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I guess I will also say that if my hair becomes a chore overall, I probably would cut back. I'm willing to put in work to reach my goals, but I also like to have fun!

This site certainly is great inspiration. Do you have a goal in mind?

id love to reach tbl or even classic, all virgin hair (im growing out bleach).
have you ever dyed your hair?

Stray_mind
October 10th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I am definitely the "benign neglect" camper... Hahaha. I am pretty satisfied with my current growth rate and i Know i can not force my hair into growing faster.. I just make sure it doesn't break off and/or get too damaged. I keep it Up most of the time to protect it, wash every few days and that is mostly it.

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 11:43 AM
id love to reach tbl or even classic, all virgin hair (im growing out bleach).
have you ever dyed your hair?

Those are beautiful lengths!

When I was 14 I bleached and dyed the front of my hair red. Feeling the texture of it right next to my silky virgin hair and seeing how the dye faded put me off for good. After a few months I had that part dyed to my natural color and cut it off into a pixie! So it grew out quickly. Shortest my hair has ever been. :p Of course that was 12+ years ago, so ancient history haha.

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Those are beautiful lengths!

When I was 14 I bleached and dyed the front of my hair red. Feeling the texture of it right next to my silky virgin hair and seeing how the dye faded put me off for good. After a few months I had that part dyed to my natural color and cut it off into a pixie! So it grew out quickly. Shortest my hair has ever been. :p Of course that was 12+ years ago, so ancient history haha.

im glad you didnt give in the urge to dye your hair during those 12 years :applause

spirals
October 10th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I don't. I basically just wash it once or twice a week, wear it up a lot, and braid at night. When I had shorter, curly layers I used all kinds of leave-ins and scrunched and/or blow-dried and I had to trim regularly when my cut lost its shape. I spent a lot of time trying to get all the curls and waves to behave. Now I can wrangle them into a bun or braid in a minute or two. It's hardly any work at all for me because I don't use styling products save for some hairspray once in a while and I don't wash every other day and I don't really have to worry about humidity. I've never been a deep conditioner user nor really wanted to do any types of special treatments. Now skin is a different thing altogether. I have allll kinds of products for my face. But hair: meh.

nycelle
October 10th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Only thing I'm really aware of when it comes to my hair is using leave-ins, protein free products most of the time, and a sleep cap.

Chromis
October 10th, 2018, 12:22 PM
I don't really see it as "working" for my long hair mostly because the things that keep it healthy and long are all things I like doing. I don't see wearing it up as a chore for example because I love wearing my hair up!

It's more work to keep it not long in my case :laugh:

Cg
October 10th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Interesting question, and interesting viewpoints.

I thought about my hair more when it was shorter, wanting it longer, but really didn't do much then or now except obvious careful handling. As others have mentioned elsewhere, grooming becomes more studied after hair outgrows the arm's reach, but it isn't work, just adjustment of technique.

Once classic and past, I don't even give my hair much thought until I take it down and feel it swish.

pailin
October 10th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I think at some points on the way I've worked for it, especially trying different things. But at this point, no I don't. People assume it's a lot of work, and I think my mother assumes I can keep it so long because I'm not dealing with little kids and have the luxury of time, but I just don't see it.

I do try to be gentle with my hair, I had to build some little habits along the way (like moving hair out of the way), and of course I do have to give a little extra care for swimming or running. But I've figured those out at this point and an extra 5 minutes to switch to a braided bun for running, for example, is simply no big deal. I still wash daily and don't find it burdensome; it takes hardly any more time than when I kept it short. At night I just wash, add mineral oil as a rinse out, condition, and done. Add some silicone serum when towel dry, and that's it; it dries overnight. I spend about 10 minutes in the morning detangling and putting it up, and that's all.

I don't normally do deep treatments or anything else special. Occasionally a longer detangling session if I've been wearing it down, but that is not a big deal. So I doubt I spent less time on my hair when it was short than I do now at fingertip.

It's not any kind of a burden. At whatever length it becomes work, that's when I'll know it's gotten too long.

Alibran
October 10th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Work to grow it long? No. I just have to stay away from the scissors. (The longest I've ever had it was classic, and that was achieved by just not cutting it.)

Work to have it long and looking good? Yes.

daisy rei
October 10th, 2018, 01:21 PM
I'm definitely one of the "just throw it up in a bun and wait" types. If I spend too much time thinking about my hair I feel like I might go crazy.

I do however have the same problem as you, Zesty, with the white dots and breakage though few splits. Super fine, thin delicate little hairs, ugh. :p I have a lot of leftover breakage from when I used to rip my brush through my hair and wear it down daily, pre-LHC. There's nothing I can do to get rid of it other than S&D and patiently wait until it grows out. I now rarely wear my hair down when leaving the house and I try to only use my fingers to comb/detangle. It really does just look so much sleeker and shinier when I keep the TT/comb away from it.

Hopefully that's enough, but we'll see how much work it becomes when it gets much longer. ;)

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 02:31 PM
I'm definitely one of the "just throw it up in a bun and wait" types. If I spend too much time thinking about my hair I feel like I might go crazy.

I do however have the same problem as you, Zesty, with the white dots and breakage though few splits. Super fine, thin delicate little hairs, ugh. :p I have a lot of leftover breakage from when I used to rip my brush through my hair and wear it down daily, pre-LHC. There's nothing I can do to get rid of it other than S&D and patiently wait until it grows out. I now rarely wear my hair down when leaving the house and I try to only use my fingers to comb/detangle. It really does just look so much sleeker and shinier when I keep the TT/comb away from it.

Hopefully that's enough, but we'll see how much work it becomes when it gets much longer. ;)

Breakage is the bane of my existence. It's not crazy noticeable, but now that I'm at a happy place lengthwise I'm starting to think about improving my hair in other ways, and I've definitely got some breakage. There are various things I did for about a year (got together with my husband, life was a big party so I thought less about protecting my hair) that I think I'm still growing out, like wearing it down inside my shirt ( shudder: ), pulling hoodies over bunned hair (crown breakage from dragging the material over my hair in the wrong direction), wearing it down very often, etc. I've got temple hairs growing out damage from a wireless headset from my last job. But I'm afraid that I might still unknowingly be repeating the cycle. I'm trying to take pictures for perspective later, but it's definitely harder to monitor than just length.

I had the opposite experience with finger combing. I still do it more often than I fully detangle with a tool, mostly out of laziness, but my hair always looks shinier and better after being brushed.

lakhesis
October 10th, 2018, 03:06 PM
I guess my routine could be considered 'too much' by some, but I really enjoy it :) I deep condition (and wash my hair) twice a week. And I don't really consider putting it up or braiding for the night as too much effort. Before LHC I actually spent more time styling it than I do now.

HaMalka
October 10th, 2018, 06:01 PM
For length I just let it happen. The only work involved was keeping it safe from certain people who threatened to cut it off in my sleep.
Health-wise, I also mostly just let it happen, but I have to work at keeping it clean because washing my hair tires out my arms and I hate wet hair and blow drying takes forever and is uncomfortable.

sumidha
October 10th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Definitely not the work for it type.

I mean, when it was shorter (like BSL to tailbone) I was definitely trying more deep treatment type stuff, different styles, playing with cassia etc... Nothing made it magically grow faster or split less. :P

But for the past four or maybe five years I mostly just leave it alone. The length is something that just happens, when you stop cutting it. ;)

AutobotsAttack
October 10th, 2018, 08:57 PM
I mainly have to keep my hair moisturized With the type of hair I have, it’s very nature is to become dry and brittle. So I deep condition at least 3-4x a week. My hair has the texture of fine cotton balls so you can imagine how much cotton soaks up moisture. That’s my main thing I have to be consistent with. Moisturizing.

Other than that my hair doesn’t like a whole lot of attention anyways, so it’s a lot easier for myself to just leave my hair alone, let it air dry, and don’t brush it, just finger detangle and separate any tangles and remove shed hairs. Put it back into a bun and carry on. Brushing ensures that hairs will break regardless of how gentle I am. My hair is fine enough to fit 24 hairs in 1mm. So it’s very fragile.

I haven’t trimmed my hair in years and don’t wish to since it’s not something that drastically effects my hair. It more or less just eats up my length.

Number one thing that causes breakage for me is manipulation.

So I wouldn’t say I have had to work hard for my hair length at TBL now, but I do have to be conscious of what I do, and use some basic common sense for myself and my hair type.

ArabellaRose
October 10th, 2018, 09:21 PM
I do work at it, a little bit, especially in comparison to 2 years ago. Back then I didn't oil or use a leave in conditioner, or do anything to look after my ends. Now I'm more careful, I first introduced oiling on a casual basis, and over the last two years I've slowly done it more until I trained myself to do it daily AND added a leave in cream conditioner to the routine. I'm brushing my hair no differently as I've always been careful in that regards. I've also introduced a second conditioning step to my wash routine and started microtrimming once a month with the aim of thickening up my hemline.

However, these changes don't really add a lot of time to my hair care routine, and considering I don't heat style anymore (aside from the very rare special occasion) it probably balances out time-wise. The only big change that I'm struggling with is getting used to wearing it up as much as possible. I love wearing it down so this is taking a lot of adjustment.

Dark40
October 10th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week. I've just let my waist length hair happen. I didn't have to do a lot of work to achieve this goal. But of coarse i'm aiming for lengths that are beyond classic myself. I love doing my hair! I have always loved doing it.

Alissalocks
October 10th, 2018, 10:18 PM
I'm just glad that the LHC has shown that hair doesn't have to be thick to be beautiful and healthy. And thank you. :flower:

I'm so grateful LHC taught me this about my own hair! With super fine hair, I've never been to the lengths I am now so this is all new territory for me. Until this milestone, learning to use oils, CWCs, braids, no heat styling everrrrrr, indigo for color, air dry always, these things have just been effortless once added into my routine. But I do use serums and oils daily, and never used to, pre LHC. So some things are taking more effort, but not really... it's easy and I see Hair time as me time, so I like it.

I always think of AspenSong as inspiration for thin, fine hair to make it to astounding lengths. I'd love to see FTL but have no idea what my hair wants to do.

Shanazel
October 10th, 2018, 10:38 PM
I see by your outfit that you are a belly dancer...

(Sing to the tune of "Streets of Laredo)

Eighteen months ago, I retired after almost 40 years of performance and teaching belly dance. My hair is also fine but I was almost to classic when I retired and achieved classic several months later. You can do this, Alissalocks!

I am of the "benign neglect contingent" armed only with a braid and patience. The ends of my hair get trimmed regularly, I use a good conditioner after each shampoo, unsnarl tangles with a wide-toothed pick, and am not a slave to the blow drier. Other than that, no heroic measures are taken beyond resisting an occasional urge (always when faced with an impossible tangle) to shave my head.

shaluwm_agape
October 10th, 2018, 11:08 PM
My husband and I actually had this conversation. "Hair grows..
that's what it does no matter what you do. If you want to give it a little extra moisture /protein that's up to you" that was his words.
I'm home 90% of the time so my hair is down a lot as I am not comfortable doing buns yet. So claws & braids on occasion. Braids when I do go out but it doesn't get manipulated much. I have started the WO method & have noticed that I do pay more attention then before but I can't say I'm working harder

Corvana
October 10th, 2018, 11:14 PM
I'm willing to put in some work for my hair, as long as it's equal to or less than the enjoyment I get out of it. If I like my hair less than the effort I'm going to in order to maintain/grow it, then I will likely cut back after looking for ways to modify my routine to rebalance the "equation".

Currently I get much more enjoyment out of my hair than the effort I put in. Previously I got less enjoyment than I do now, but also had less effort needed so it was still fine. I put more effort into my hair now than I ever have before, but on the other side of that I also like my hair more than I ever have before. Except perhaps when I'd dyed it this gorgeous purple (special effects deep purple I think?) with pink roots. I adored my hair then, and the upkeep was a lot but still balanced for a good while. But then the damage got worse, and the liking went down and the effort went up... And by then I'd wanted a pixie for like 2 years or more anyway, so off it all went!

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangent :laugh:. I wash my hair weekly, but may add in a scalp wash or two and push my full wash back to bi-weekly. I don't have a lot of energy day to day, and a shower is a big drain. I miss having a handicap shower, with a lovely seat and the showerhead on a hose! (I've been looking into getting a shower seat and changing our showerhead) But I did a scalp wash last night, and it took me maybe 10 minutes, from getting the shampoo from upstairs to vinegar rinse at the end. And it didn't require me to get naked either :laugh:. Way less effort, and I also wasn't freezing my bum off after.

I like putting my hair up with hairtoys, because it's so little effort! It looks lovely, and is comfortable, and my hair isn't in the way, and it took me a handful of seconds to do. That alone tips the balance further to enjoyment and away from effort, and will likely be a big factor in my ability to grow longer (besides its value as protection for my hair).

Natashap
October 11th, 2018, 12:06 AM
I cannot maintain long hair anymore,as had thinning pixie for years.

I seem dsyfunctional with slighly long hair which is good for thinning hair.

But its good feeling when you see less thinning over few months and seems something you doing is right.

I want really long hair ,but its so tangled and messy and goey,weird as don't use anything except shampoo.

Its really lot of work ...........I get tired .

Henrietta
October 11th, 2018, 03:59 AM
I had to work for it like crazy. And now I work to maintain it healthy and make my ends thicker.
I've been using a DT and an oil every wash in various configurations. I've been paying close attention to my ends and trimming them according to a complex plan. I use a silicone serum every wash. I have a hair growth treatment (scalp sprays, herbal teas, vitamins etc.) going each month. I apply/drink/eat the stuff conscientiously, after every wash (if it's a scalp treatment) or everyday (if it's a herbal tea or a vitamin pill).
Figuring out a routine that works for me actually took more energy and time and nerves than maintaining it now takes. In comparison to what I used to do and how much I used to think about it, the fact that I now use (apart from a shampoo) an oil or a DT for every wash (alternatively), a silicone serum for the ends and a growth treatment (plus, I add moisturisers and proteins to the DTs) seems like a very simple and basic and easy routine. Easy in terms of energy, time and how much I have to think about it.

EmeraldSkies
October 11th, 2018, 04:49 AM
My hair is still not long enough so I'm not sure if it will be a lot more work or not. However, i know the time it takes to air dry my hair will get longer and eat into my sleeping time. I will just have to see how to adjust my washing schedule when that happens.

embee
October 11th, 2018, 05:39 AM
No, I did not work for it. I ran out of spare cash, so I stopped getting it trimmed and let it grow. For a long time it lived in a low pony. Eventually I used barrettes to make a sort of updo thing as the low pony was hot in summer. No trims, no cuts, nothing special. Washing every few days, Conditioned so I could comb through it. And one day it was long (I thought) and I was so excited.

I did a 8 inch chop in 2005 which was a terrible mistake, but hair was still long, just not workable any more: back to single braid or low pony. Never did that again! But I didn't know what to do with it, so I looked online and found TLHC and some real updo ideas.

Yes, my hair has thinned, but I'm old and have thyroid issues, so not a surprise. Sadly it was never *thick* to start with, but it's still ok. :)

But no, no work, unless avoiding scissors is work (which it can be, sometimes trims or cuts are very tempting).

YvetteVarie
October 11th, 2018, 05:40 AM
I have to work for it. I have kinky curly hair that needs regular deep conditioning, moisturizing and sealing and protective styling to thrive. And regular tims too. At least I am finally getting close to BSL after 4 years of actively growing out my hair. But it needs a lot of work and attention

Alissalocks
October 11th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I see by your outfit that you are a belly dancer...

(Sing to the tune of "Streets of Laredo)

Eighteen months ago, I retired after almost 40 years of performance and teaching belly dance. My hair is also fine but I was almost to classic when I retired and achieved classic several months later. You can do this, Alissalocks! .

Thank you for the encouragement, and congratulations on an amazing career you've had with your dance thus far! I love belly dance perhaps best of any dance form I've studied; we have a handful of us on the forum here that I've run into over the years. I would love to see Classic, crossing fingers!

xoAshley
October 11th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I'm gentle with my hair, but I mostly just benign neglect it. I wash it every 4th day with the wcc method, spray some leave in on it, and air dry it. I usually wear it down the first one or two days, then up in some sort of protective style the second / third & fourth day. I brush it out very carefully every morning and night, and sleep with it draped over the back of my pillow above my head( I'm a back sleeper ). That's about it. My hair seems happy with this routine.

Hairkay
October 11th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I'm all for the benign neglect way. My hair thrives best with low manipulation. Sure my hair is rinsed daily as part of my usual bath/shower so there doesn't seem to be any extra effort. I do put a tiny bit of oil on the damp hair ends, then put it up and forget about it. I'll do a conditioning treatment and restyle once a week. Mostly it's braids/plaits which are easy to manage and will last even being rinsed. The only thing I have noticed is that I am starting to do more s & d now that my hair is past waist.

zashin66
October 11th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Yes I have to work for long hair but, BUT, I have to work a whole lot harder for short hair with only half the compliments.

(Not that I'm working only for compliments but as a measure of success in flattering hair styles etc.)

daisy rei
October 11th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Breakage is the bane of my existence. It's not crazy noticeable, but now that I'm at a happy place lengthwise I'm starting to think about improving my hair in other ways, and I've definitely got some breakage. There are various things I did for about a year (got together with my husband, life was a big party so I thought less about protecting my hair) that I think I'm still growing out, like wearing it down inside my shirt ( shudder: ), pulling hoodies over bunned hair (crown breakage from dragging the material over my hair in the wrong direction), wearing it down very often, etc. I've got temple hairs growing out damage from a wireless headset from my last job. But I'm afraid that I might still unknowingly be repeating the cycle. I'm trying to take pictures for perspective later, but it's definitely harder to monitor than just length.

I had the opposite experience with finger combing. I still do it more often than I fully detangle with a tool, mostly out of laziness, but my hair always looks shinier and better after being brushed.

Years of damage will take years to grow out, unfortunately. :mad: I'm also dealing with lots of lifestyle damage that's difficult to remedy, like my glasses rubbing and breaking the hair close to my ears. I can grab a small chunk of my hair and see breakage all down the shaft of the last five or six inches. It looks really bad to me, but I've also started to accept that fly-aways and frizz are just a part of my natural hair texture. I'll probably always have a frizz halo of new growth and I don't care enough to try and smooth it down or treat it otherwise. :p Like part of accepting the fact that I have fine/thin hair involves accepting the things I like about it, like softness and shine, as well as the things I don't like: being highly susceptible to damage, etc.

And with brushing, even though it makes my hair super soft and shiny, I tend to notice more frizz/static and dryness from brushing, compared to using my fingers which help distribute oil more evenly thus making my hair more sleek and "flat" looking if that makes sense, lol. The ends tend to get kind of poofy after brushing.

Dark40
October 11th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Years of damage will take years to grow out, unfortunately. :mad: I'm also dealing with lots of lifestyle damage that's difficult to remedy, like my glasses rubbing and breaking the hair close to my ears. I can grab a small chunk of my hair and see breakage all down the shaft of the last five or six inches. It looks really bad to me, but I've also started to accept that fly-aways and frizz are just a part of my natural hair texture. I'll probably always have a frizz halo of new growth and I don't care enough to try and smooth it down or treat it otherwise. :p Like part of accepting the fact that I have fine/thin hair involves accepting the things I like about it, like softness and shine, as well as the things I don't like: being highly susceptible to damage, etc.

And with brushing, even though it makes my hair super soft and shiny, I tend to notice more frizz/static and dryness from brushing, compared to using my fingers which help distribute oil more evenly thus making my hair more sleek and "flat" looking if that makes sense, lol. The ends tend to get kind of poofy after brushing.

You are right about hair damage. I don't have any noticeable damage but I also have accepted long years ago that the texture of my hair is frizzy too!!! And, I've also learned through researching that frizzy hair does not mean that it's damaged. It's just frizz. Now, I do use products that helps control the frizz. Especially, in humid weather. I use creams, oils, serums, and leave-in conditioners. It really helps me tremendously!!! I also try to stay away from too much heat on my hair as well!! Because, blow-dryers or heated appliances causes your hair to frizz up too.

GrowlingCupcake
October 11th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Work to grow it long? No. I just have to stay away from the scissors. (The longest I've ever had it was classic, and that was achieved by just not cutting it.)

Work to have it long and looking good? Yes.

This. I grew my hair to waist before joining the LHC, and it's only been the past year or so that I've really bothered to take care of my hair. I'm still not doing a great job, so it's still 'work' for me since it hasn't become habit, but that's not a big deal in my opinion. It definitely takes up more time than the barely shoulder length hair I had seven years ago.

Zesty I have a ton of white dots as well, with less splits, though I used to have more splits than white dots. Learning to brush/comb my hair with care is my biggest hurdle; I'm too impatient.

sophia_
October 12th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I find my hair does better when I'm not "working" for it-I mean, I work to find out how to treat it properly because it's so fine and easily breakable. I can't exactly put it up every day- I have to braid it most days, and I leave it down every once in a while when that becomes too much (I've started transitioning to twin braids instead because I really can't have it down anymore that it garners public attention, lol). I'm overly worried about hairline breakage because I've had a lot of it in the past and it took me a while to fix it, and my hair's at a length where most buns are uncomfortable if worn for too long.

LittleOgre
October 12th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I am definitely different in this area. I have around 500 locs and they all just grow. But the thing is I do have to make sure theyre moisturized otherwise my ends break off. So its sort of work? Hardly lol. I just play with my hair. Cute styles. Wash and moisturize. And when I go out I prefer doing headwraps sometimes ill let it go. I do headers mainly because the sun will definitely damage my hair since my hair is basically antennas. Always growing. Every stand within each lock. So overall I'm very chillaxed with my hair lol. Since its already in a protective style techniqually. Have any of you guys done box braids without added hair on ur hair? Maybe that could help and you could keep it in for a while.

mira-chan
October 12th, 2018, 06:02 PM
I tried doing more stuff, and now back to full on benign neglect. Didn't affect things much either way. My hair grows with an aggressive taper, so periodic trims for that is really all I do besides washing and conditioning weekly, and braiding at night, as of late. My hair is coarse, and I don't get splits until about classic length. Now with keeping at tailbone, I don't even have to think about that. I got to finger tip with little to no splits, but the taper was ridiculous from different growth rates and shedding due to health reasons.

littlestarface
October 12th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Yes n no I guess I guess more yes, if I'm too lazy my hair starts messing up,getting too thin and dry.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 12th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Much like with everything else, I’ve given up on giving a rats behind.
So I leave the hair to do what it wants. I have enough things to work on, I’m going to let the hair figure itself out lol

Ravenne
October 12th, 2018, 10:09 PM
So far, no, not really. For the past few years, semi-benign neglect has been my thing. I just haven't had the headspace to focus on my hair, so I lived in ponytails and trimmed a few inches whenever the ends got snarly. And I still managed to hit hip with all that. Now that I'm consciously trying for classic, I'm trying to be more gentle and wear my hair in more protective styles, pay more attention to the overall health of my hair. But even then, unless I just have a pre-classic terminal length (that would suck, lol) I don't think I'll have to do much more than I'm doing now to get there. I'm just too lazy to do lots of oil treatments, deep conditionings, etc. I co-wash, detangle as gently as I can, and dry with a microfiber turbie / blow dry for a couple of minutes. Daily. I've tried stretching washes, and I just can't. I mean.. I'm sure it's possible for me to power through the transition period, but I hate how my hair looks and feels when its greasy. I just don't feel clean, and I work in an office where a professional image is necessary. So I co-wash to be as gentle as I can and just accept it. And I S&D pretty regularly, but my ends, blessedly, don't seem to be super prone to splits.

And my hair's gotten this far with that kind of treatment or worse so.. I guess it's pretty sturdy for fine hair. Here's hopin' that keeps up.

TatsuOni
October 13th, 2018, 01:55 AM
I have to work a lot, although I don't wash my hair more than every other week or less.

Lot's of S&D.

Protective hairstyles.

Lots of moisture and oils.

Massages and scalp brushing to keep my scalp healthy.

And so on...

Jas
October 13th, 2018, 05:25 AM
This is a good question - I don't trim and that does take willpower, because I love thick and blunt ends.
I keep it up usually in buns but have been trying to learn new styles - and I guess that's work, but it's meant I know how to do a lot more with my hair and I get enjoyment out of that. I never used to be able to do much more than a ponytail but now I can do french and dutch braids without thinking twice and a good few different style buns. I don't consider the buns work because they take seconds - and they usually hold throughout the day without tugging. That's a massive difference to a few years ago when I used to do buns with a hairband - it was awful, tugged and would have to be redone hourly just to keep it out of the way!
I wash twice per week and it doesn't look greasy until the end of day three - I would like to stretch washes further but I'm really happy that it's come this far. So... I deal with less washing and drying. The drying process is fine too, I usually have my bath or shower at night and just chuck my hair over the back of my pillow and let it dry while I sleep (behind my bed the wall has an indent so the hair has lots of room to hang!).
I put a lot of effort into finding my holy grail routine at first - and I've found using the shampoo and conditioner with sulfates and cones are what I need, so I use them. Probably because my hair is bleached, needs the extra protection from cones.
Well.. this got longer than I thought. It is work, but it's also not because I enjoy it :D

M00bles
October 13th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I can grow to tbl while dyeing, blow drying, and straightening regularly, and have it look pretty nice, which I acknowledge is some good genes on my part. To grow longer however, I’ve stopped dyeing, heatstyling, and I now wear my hair up 6/7 days. It obviously takes less effort but I also feel like it takes more discipline to leave it!

enting
October 13th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I don't work much for it to grow. Once I figured out that it'll grow if I just keep it protected, it's been relatively easy. It might grow faster or longer if I put more work into it, but I'm perfectly content with its speed and length for now. I used to be frustrated that it would never grow, but that was before I understood about protective styling, less damaging tools, and that I don't need 4" chopped off at every hairtrim. Now that I am reassured that it will grow I can afford to be patient/lazy. I never bleached or colored it to begin with, and I heat treated it once a year on average.

Deborah
October 13th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Not at all. I just live my life and my hair keeps right on growing, no matter what else is or is not going on.

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Oh no, please don't use thinning shears on your hair, that is one of the worst things that you can do. I had mine thinned out twice in my life and... never again. I once had a pixie thinned out (because she told me it looked like a lawn, yeah, nice thing to say, I know) and she pulled a lot of it out at the root with those shears! I don't know how she did it, but I had stubble growing in after a couple weeks!

lapushka
October 13th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Much like with everything else, I’ve given up on giving a rats behind.
So I leave the hair to do what it wants. I have enough things to work on, I’m going to let the hair figure itself out lol

That's also a way to do it. LOL! ;)

Arciela
October 14th, 2018, 12:53 AM
I used to wash frequently and do a lot of deep treatments and enjoy my hair usually looking ok with little effort! Or so I thought.

This month I was diagnosed with endometriosis and over the past year the daily pain has gotten crippling so I no longer wash my hair unless I absolutely have to. I am unable to leave the house often so I just keep it up and forget its there.

I was APL at the end of July and now my hair is barely..baaaarely touching my bra strap. I grew it to hip pretty quickly last time, hopefully this will work, seems to be so far..I havent been paying attention to my hair much anymore :(

I never really had to work for my hair though.

Crystawni
October 14th, 2018, 01:19 AM
The most amount of work I do that's longhair related is take hairtoy action pics or length shots. :wethree:

I find my virgin hair is so much easier and less worry than when it was shorter and styled (blow dried, straightened, coiled, coiffed, fluffed, washed daily, serumed; all that). I only wash it when I feel it needs a refresher (about twice a week), and let it air dry after about 15 mins plopped in a turbie. It goes into a simple and quick single hairtoy (or paired sticks) updo most of the time, and I bun it with a quattro 4 pronger at night, with a bit of a detangling comb-through between times. I'm not a fan of weighing my hair down with moisturisers or gooping it up to style it (so don't use many products), and just S&D when I have the urge (often when it's down drying). And trimming the ends every 4 months or so is a pleasure (because I get to restyle it a tad, which keeps my restless need for change happy).

The only real work I do is when I've been caught in the wind and my escaped or floaty finies get their tresses in a twist. Knots and matts can hurt, but that happens to me no matter what the length.

zashin66
October 14th, 2018, 02:02 AM
I can grow to tbl while dyeing, blow drying, and straightening regularly, and have it look pretty nice, which I acknowledge is some good genes on my part. To grow longer however, I’ve stopped dyeing, heatstyling, and I now wear my hair up 6/7 days. It obviously takes less effort but I also feel like it takes more discipline to leave it!

You have a very good point!!! It does take more discipline to leave it the '****' alone.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 14th, 2018, 02:11 AM
I detangle each morning (takes 5 minutes or less), pop it into a bun and it's done. It gets washed twice a week then air dried. Every now and then it's oiled or gets a deep treatment and clarified once a month. That's it.Oh and a trim every few months of around half an inch.

Ilyem
October 14th, 2018, 04:06 AM
I'd say I put a low-medium amount of effort into my hair. I wash it every 2 days as I've got a relatively oily scalp and it gets greasy fast. I always air dry my hair and that takes a while. I always use a mask on my hair when washing (like a conditioner) and approximately once a month I'll oil it. On wash days I don't braid my hair so that it doesn't change the structure of it for the following day but on the 2nd day I'll usually braid it. Of course if its really windy though I'll be braiding it. I feel like my hair is too short currently for it to look nice in a braid especially since its so thin so I don't like doing it much.

I find hair care fun. Sometimes when I'm paying a lot of attention to my hair it gets me down though due to how thin it is and that it seems to perpetually break off at around chin length no matter how much I take care of it.

gingerninja
October 14th, 2018, 05:29 AM
I find my hair much easier to manage now to its longer,I detangle every 2 days and in the morning I just take my sleep braid out of my satin cap and bun it. I wash it every 3-4 weeks let it airdry, s&d whenever I'm bored. I did have to work for it in the past trying to make it silky and pin straight not realising it was wavy and coarse.

_fred_
October 14th, 2018, 11:15 AM
You have a very good point!!! It does take more discipline to leave it the '****' alone.

LOL, yes, this!

I keep getting the urge to get an undercut, and to bleach some more, and resisting takes a force of will. It's far harder than trying to be as kind as possible to my hair. I love being able to put it up in a bun that'll last all day, and that I can change up if I want, but that gets all my hair off my neck and face and completely contained. And then letting it all down when I get home, or outside if the weather's nice.

And as for stopping myself fiddling with it, my goodness that's a trial!

It's getting long enough now that I need to work at remembering to put it out of the way before I do things, but I'm sure that'll become second nature after a while. As for other things, I do - S&D is satisfying, and only as much work as I want to make it, deep conditioning treatments are enjoyable, so is washing my hair in general (twice a week usually, and with products that make me happy and make my hair feel nice), and putting it up is also usually a pleasure. I think the work I put into it is more about taking care and being kind.

Like corvana, I only put in as much effort as is worth it for the enjoyment I get from it, and it's paying off so far.

Katia_k
October 14th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I have to work hard, but that's not so much because I do a lot to it, but more because it seems to hate everything, so I'm constantly trying new strategies to get it to a more self-maintaining state. It likes to break at the ends, but it doesn't like anything I do to help it. It tangles, but it breaks when I detangle, etc. We're having a bit of a snit lately, and the ends are so freaking thin. I'm hoping that with more tinkering, we can get an easier relationship so I can just leave it and let it grow.

ravenskey
October 14th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Only two things annoy me about my hair.
1. Oh, the tangles, no matter what I do they are horrific and take soooo long to comb out.
2. Air drying time, this takes all day which is fine in the summer - not so much in winter.

Aside from this I love my hair, and I will continue growing because there are so many hairdos it's not long enough for :)

paiged
October 14th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I've always been pretty lazy when it comes to my hair. I've never done oils, treatments, etc. No matter its length, all I've ever done to it is washing (+ sometimes conditioning) every other day with a trim every several months or so.

trolleypup
October 15th, 2018, 06:19 PM
No work. Too lazy.

S&C, air dry, finger detangle, up at work and such activities, down for play and sleep.

I probably could get a few more inches if I spent more time on it.

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I hardly noticed my hair get down to hip due to years and years of depression. It was easy.

As soon as I started to pay attention to my hair, it became hard work. Now I'm also way more critical about it - the condition and how I treat it and all that.

Reyn127
October 16th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I do feel like I spend more time and effort on my hair now that it’s getting very long. But I don’t feel burdened or bothered by it, usually. The two hardest parts of caring for my hair are my wash routine (which is only once per week, if that), and detangling which takes 20-30 minutes per day. I think the hardest part of that is when I miss a day, the combing time does add up, so every once in a while it takes over an hour. The most difficult “work” for me is consisitency, so that doesn’t happen.
Otherwise, the only thing I really do to my hair is bun it, braid it, and occasionally s&d. I may potentially start micro trimming next year, so I’m hoping that won’t feel like too much “work” but we’ll see.

Zesty
October 16th, 2018, 11:27 AM
It's lovely to hear that even those of us who put effort into our hair mostly enjoy it anyway. That's how I feel too. :o