PDA

View Full Version : Damage Control - What is your worst threat to your hair health

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I have seen a few threads about bleach damage/dye damage , I have also read about pets using braids as climbing ropes, even an unfortunate event at someones work where their hair was ripped out... this got me thinking on a day to day basis we all incur some sort of damage... be it environmental/ mechanical or other no matter what we do to try and protect our tresses. :luke:

My biggest daily fight to prevent damage I think is 2 things :

A- Now that my hair is doing so much better I am tangle teezer and BBB-ing far too much and have cut back
B- My 2 year old son wants to "play" with my hair ie. grab and pull with sticky hands - I am now learning to do updo's in my 30's

What is your daily fight and how do you protect your hair?

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 06:57 AM
i really enjoy sleeping with my hair loose.
i like to stay with my hair loose on a daily basis, and feel it touch my back.
i touch my hair a lot.:shake:
to prevent damage i dont use heat, nor blowdryer or straightners. i also use a french silk serum i bought from a natural shop near my home, which is supposed to be protective and oils. i dont use any dye or bleach and i try to use a satin pillow case.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 07:00 AM
I need to get a satin pillow case or ideally one of this satin/silk sleeping caps, I think it was Sarahlabyrinth who uses one of those.

I also don't use heat and I am a habitual oiler...but loose hair is definitely my LHC sin :)

Lady Stardust
October 10th, 2018, 07:06 AM
My toddler. She touches my hair very carefully but it gets caught when she climbs all over me or gives me an especially enthusiastic cuddle. Wearing it up helps but sometimes hair accessories are too interesting and have to be removed and examined.

I need to find a way to contain wispy bits too, that make their way out of updos. I might start wearing a headband or scarf (except for likelihood of toddler interference).

nycelle
October 10th, 2018, 07:11 AM
WTC 4 or 5 times a day (i have to, or it tangles)
Wearing it loose.

I'm find with both though as I'm not trying to grow my hair extremely long. Just want it to get to waist with a thick hemline, and so far, so good.

ArabellaRose
October 10th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I like wearing my hair down, I feel like wearing my hair up is an unflattering look on me and it's hiding the one thing I like about myself. However, I'm now training myself to get used to wearing it up more.

On special occasions I like to heat style my hair. I don't use any heat on it any other time but this weekend I'm going away with some friends for a night out and I'm planning on curling my hair, I'm going to take every precaution possible but I've already accepted the chance of damage.

My son has always liked to play with my hair, ever since he was a baby. He's 6 now and likes to hold it in one hand and rub the ends into the palm of the other hand. I have to keep telling him to stop and he is getting better.

kph12
October 10th, 2018, 07:13 AM
I just touch my hair constantly when it's down. I've been trying to wear it up in a clip during the day just so that I can give it a rest.

I also still like heat styling my hair every now and then. Usually I try to keep it to once a week but I'm trying to cut it down even further now to once every two weeks. Before I would use heat basically every single day. Even with heat protectant and oil treatments and conditioning masks I still feel like using heat is the worst thing I do to my hair (not giving it up though.....I love the smooth silkiness of freshly straightened hair too much!)

Also, hair dye! I used to dye my hair when I was in middle school/highschool and once or twice in college. I would always go darker because I thought it would mask the fact that my hair was damaged (from said heat styling :rolleyes:) and it did mask it but it didn't do anything for the actual health of my hair.

It's been 3 or four years since I last dyed my hair and i've significantly cut down on my heat usage and I've already noticed a huge HUGE difference. Even before I started oiling and deep conditioning my hair it had already made a huge difference.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Quick question on the heat styling, I don't use heat anymore (although it has only been 3 weeks- I will not give in) but someone I know uses argan oil before straight ironing her hair - to me applying this kind of oil might act as a deep fryer with a straightener. Am I wrong here?

I use argan oil on dry hair or just after a wash.

Also on the no heat note : I need help to figure out how to smooth my hair without heat before I go out on a girls night...help as I really dont want to use heat. :pray:

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 07:38 AM
_Makyle best way to use oil is on damp hair. (not dripping wet, either dry hair)
when i want to re-oil, i just put some water in my hands and damp my hair and then oil it.
i also use argan oil and i love it.
putting oil before straightening is not going to protect the hair, because oil and heat means frying the hair (i used to do this mistake 2 months ago):no:

kph12
October 10th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Quick question on the heat styling, I don't use heat anymore (although it has only been 3 weeks- I will not give in) but someone I know uses argan oil before straight ironing her hair - to me applying this kind of oil might act as a deep fryer with a straightener. Am I wrong here?

I use argan oil on dry hair or just after a wash.

Also on the no heat note : I need help to figure out how to smooth my hair without heat before I go out on a girls night...help as I really dont want to use heat. :pray:

I basically only use heat on girls night haha!

I do NOT use oil before using heat. I use a heat protectant. Oil is for smoothing afterwards!

kph12
October 10th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Also, when I do use heat i'll try to extend it as long as possible before i wash it which makes me feel more justified in using it still. For me that means braiding my hair before I work out or go to sleep and using my (new!) satin pillowcase.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Thank you so much Sid0rela, noted on the oil on damp hair, I will do this after washes.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Girls night is coming up soon and I am refusing to use the heat as I want to grow out to classic, but I am useless at updo's as well...cue the next 100 youtube how to videos for updo's :brickwall:

ArabellaRose
October 10th, 2018, 07:57 AM
My leave-in says it's good for heat protection so I'm planning to use that followed by a heat defence spray, is that too much?

Once styled I brush through the curls to smooth them and then oil them to give them a nice shine and then a quick spritz with hair spray. I'll then give it a lot of love and attention the next day to make up for the mean things I've done to it!

Astrid Carlisle
October 10th, 2018, 07:59 AM
My toddler. She touches my hair very carefully

I just imagined your toddler being super careful with your hair and my heart is just melting :p (lol i first wrote "hair is just melting" while thinking of hair)!!

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Hi ArabellaRose , I don't think its too much protection (the more protection the better) just use a clarifying shampoo at your next wash, and as with everything balance is key, just don't do it all the time and give your hair some time to breathe, just my 2 cents.

Lady Stardust
October 10th, 2018, 08:25 AM
I just imagined your toddler being super careful with your hair and my heart is just melting :p (lol i first wrote "hair is just melting" while thinking of hair)!!

Ah thanks, I’m glad your hair isn’t melting!

I don’t know how to describe it without sounding totally soppy - anyone who doesn’t like kids should look away now :) She reaches out and strokes it sometimes. She loves my profile pic too, the photo is on my phone. It’s only of the back of my head but she looks at it for ages and sighs and says “Mama”. She was actually the trigger to grow my hair, I had a pixie cut for years and when she was a few weeks old I noticed her watching my fringe move around, which was the only part of my hair long enough to sway. I wondered if she liked my hair and how it would be if I grew it.

I’ve seen her running her fingers through her hair when she’s trying to get to sleep so she’s obviously inherited my love of hair :)

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Lady Stardust, that is beautiful and put such a smile on my face :) , My son could definitely care less about hair, although my daughter would have a meltdown if you even mention cutting hers.

Astrid Carlisle
October 10th, 2018, 08:40 AM
She reaches out and strokes it sometimes. She loves my profile pic too, the photo is on my phone. It’s only of the back of my head but she looks at it for ages and sighs and says “Mama”. She was actually the trigger to grow my hair, I had a pixie cut for years and when she was a few weeks old I noticed her watching my fringe move around, which was the only part of my hair long enough to sway. I wondered if she liked my hair and how it would be if I grew it.

AWWWWWW that's just sooooo adorable!!! :wail:

lapushka
October 10th, 2018, 08:55 AM
I can't say I do damaging things to it anymore. I wear it in a bun when I'm up (Nautilus these days at FTL) and loose for bed. It's fine. I just fold it under my head and don't much move during the night.

I diffuse weekly, so use heat on it, but I don't get splits, and I don't get white dots as the "heat" is within range and reason. If you can hold your hand or a more sensitive part of you in the airstream of the blowdryer without it "burning", then the warmth or heat is OK to use on the hair. I use my diffuser on warm/cool, depending on the season.

I finger detangle Tuesday through Saturday (this is separating the strands to get sheds out not raking through with fingers!!!) and Sunday I use a TT (Tangle Teezer) dupe on it pre-wash and a Wet brush dupe post-wash. It works for me, just brushing one day a week. I don't get breakage or many tangles.

That's about it for me.

Lady Stardust
October 10th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Lady Stardust, that is beautiful and put such a smile on my face :) , My son could definitely care less about hair, although my daughter would have a meltdown if you even mention cutting hers.

AWWWWWW that's just sooooo adorable!!! :wail:

Thank you both :)

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Sleeping. :disgust: I move a lot and it's hard to figure out how to manage it. Braids caused tons of breakage, I'm afraid a bun will do the same, loose makes it feel dry the next morning, I wonder if the elastic on my cap is rubbing too much, blah blah blah. I do use a silk pillowcase. It's frustrating because there doesn't seem too be a perfect solution and I can't exactly stop sleeping.

ArabellaRose
October 10th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Hi ArabellaRose , I don't think its too much protection (the more protection the better) just use a clarifying shampoo at your next wash, and as with everything balance is key, just don't do it all the time and give your hair some time to breathe, just my 2 cents.

Ah not to worry, I don't have a particularly active social life, this'll be the third time I've heat styled my hair this year (and the last) :D

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Hi Zesty, if braids cause breakage maybe the braids are to tight, I dont like how they make my hair wave at this length maybe you could try this (bubble pony tail) with normal metal free hair ties and maybe loosely banded - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILj-xYmMyw ... just a thought to keep the hair from flying everywhere but without being tightly bound ... if the link doesnt work just youtube bubble ponytail. (sorry newbie with alot of restrictions)

and ArabellaRose -then rock that hair however you want to girl :)

blesseddamozel
October 10th, 2018, 09:59 AM
1) I do use box dye...I like red too much ^^ 2)sometimes I get lazy about having it in protective styles, especially for sleep

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Hi Zesty, if braids cause breakage maybe the braids are to tight, I dont like how they make my hair wave at this length maybe you could try this (bubble pony tail) with normal metal free hair ties and maybe loosely banded - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILj-xYmMyw ... just a thought to keep the hair from flying everywhere but without being tightly bound ... if the link doesnt work just youtube bubble ponytail. (sorry newbie with alot of restrictions)
Braids were the absolute worst for me. They weren't tight, they were causing breakage at the nape where the braid meets my head because that hair was held more taut since the length was contained (if that makes sense). Plus if I want to avoid laying all over the braid at this length, I have to put my hair above my head, and that causes even more tension no matter where I start the braid. I've seen a couple other LHCers have the same problem, can't remember who. And I'm trying to avoid elastics altogether, also for breakage reasons.

Anyway, it's very sweet of you to respond. :flower: I think I'll have to stick with my sleep cap. It's been going a little better since I've been careful to arrange my length above my head inside of it, but I think sleep styles will always be my struggle.

MusicalSpoons
October 10th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Braids were the absolute worst for me. They weren't tight, they were causing breakage at the nape where the braid meets my head because that hair was held more taut since the length was contained (if that makes sense). Plus if I want to avoid laying all over the braid at this length, I have to put my hair above my head, and that causes even more tension no matter where I start the braid. I've seen a couple other LHCers have the same problem, can't remember who. And I'm trying to avoid elastics altogether, also for breakage reasons.

Anyway, it's very sweet of you to respond. :flower: I think I'll have to stick with my sleep cap. It's been going a little better since I've been careful to arrange my length above my head inside of it, but I think sleep styles will always be my struggle.

This may or may not help: I currently bun my hair with a sturdy fork that's about the same length as my bun is wide, doing a bun that's sort of loose at the scalp but secure, then actually sleep *in* a satin pillowcase. It's an envelope-style closure, so I turn it inside-out, out the smaller part over the top of my head, then twist the remaining material at the nape of my neck. I then bring the other side of the envelope closure up and anchor it around the bun, for which my pillowcase is the perfect size to do! There's a lot of loose material hanging down my neck doing nothing but I find it's kinder to the hairline than a cap was^. I also sleep on another satin pillowcase to protect any wispies that might escape, and in case I move a lot and the pillowcase over my head comes loose.

Before settling on that method, I tried putting the small part of the pillowcase over my head, then dropping my length into the 'bag' of satin that hung down, then loosely securing it all using a satin scrunchie near the nape, as if securing a low ponytail. I really liked that method except my hair was a bit more tangled than in a cap :( (though in fairness, in a cap the tangles were virtually zero). I also still slept on another satin pillowcase for that method too, as often hair would escape.

(^It does look ridiculous, but for me that's not an issue. Also I ought to take pics of how I put the pillowcase over my hair because words just probably aren't clear enough! Sorry)

MusicalSpoons
October 10th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Ah thanks, I’m glad your hair isn’t melting!

I don’t know how to describe it without sounding totally soppy - anyone who doesn’t like kids should look away now :) She reaches out and strokes it sometimes. She loves my profile pic too, the photo is on my phone. It’s only of the back of my head but she looks at it for ages and sighs and says “Mama”. She was actually the trigger to grow my hair, I had a pixie cut for years and when she was a few weeks old I noticed her watching my fringe move around, which was the only part of my hair long enough to sway. I wondered if she liked my hair and how it would be if I grew it.

I’ve seen her running her fingers through her hair when she’s trying to get to sleep so she’s obviously inherited my love of hair :)

Awwwwww that's the most adorable thing I've read on here, ever! :crush::crush::crush:

(Sorry, I have nothing to actually contribute to the thread topic right now.)

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 11:39 AM
This may or may not help: I currently bun my hair with a sturdy fork that's about the same length as my bun is wide, doing a bun that's sort of loose at the scalp but secure, then actually sleep *in* a satin pillowcase. It's an envelope-style closure, so I turn it inside-out, out the smaller part over the top of my head, then twist the remaining material at the nape of my neck. I then bring the other side of the envelope closure up and anchor it around the bun, for which my pillowcase is the perfect size to do! There's a lot of loose material hanging down my neck doing nothing but I find it's kinder to the hairline than a cap was^. I also sleep on another satin pillowcase to protect any wispies that might escape, and in case I move a lot and the pillowcase over my head comes loose.

Before settling on that method, I tried putting the small part of the pillowcase over my head, then dropping my length into the 'bag' of satin that hung down, then loosely securing it all using a satin scrunchie near the nape, as if securing a low ponytail. I really liked that method except my hair was a bit more tangled than in a cap :( (though in fairness, in a cap the tangles were virtually zero). I also still slept on another satin pillowcase for that method too, as often hair would escape.

(^It does look ridiculous, but for me that's not an issue. Also I ought to take pics of how I put the pillowcase over my hair because words just probably aren't clear enough! Sorry)

That's a new idea for me. Perhaps I will try. I think I get the gist generally. :hmm: DH already calls my cap a "head bag," I might as well take it to the next level. :lol: Thanks for the suggestion!

Doreen
October 10th, 2018, 12:22 PM
I'm reading this thread and realizing that I'm actually terrible with my hair. I sleep with it loose, use a terry towel to wring it dry, wear it in a tight high bun, and only brush it when I'm actually leaving the house. :doh: I try to combat this rough treatment with CWC and occasional masks and oil treatments, and I guess it mostly works.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 12:50 PM

my mid length to ends are all old bleach damage that I am trying to treat well while I micro trim to remove them, maybe I should avoid elastics as well, any advice on styles for APL that won't damagemy hair? It doesnt get tangled when loose as I seriously baby it now, so maybe I should just stick with loose?

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Also at the ladies on this thread - there are some seriously AWESOME heads of hair on here, very inspirational and the exact reason I joined LHC, stunning absolutely stunning :crush:

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 01:00 PM
my mid length to ends are all old bleach damage that I am trying to treat well while I micro trim to remove them, maybe I should avoid elastics as well, any advice on styles for APL that won't damagemy hair? It doesnt get tangled when loose as I seriously baby it now, so maybe I should just stick with loose?

Loose won't kill you at APL but I would try a peacock twist or something similar with a clip to keep your hair from rubbing on things. Even if it doesn't tangle, having it loose will expose it to friction and mechanical damage. If you're going for classic (?) and have bleach damage, I'd avoid that extra damage at all costs. But your hair and preferences are different from mine, so it's obviously up to you. :)

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Loose won't kill you at APL but I would try a peacock twist or something similar with a clip to keep your hair from rubbing on things. Even if it doesn't tangle, having it loose will expose it to friction and mechanical damage. If you're going for classic (?) and have bleach damage, I'd avoid that extra damage at all costs. But your hair and preferences are different from mine, so it's obviously up to you. :)

Looking at your hair - I will definitely take your advice... its going up in a peacock twist right now :)

Joules
October 10th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I sleep face-down into my pillow, so braids don't seem to be an issue for me :D still I would consider cotton pillowcases to be one of the the worst threats to my hair.

The second worst threat is my tender scalp, oddly enough. It hates wearing buns for long periods of time, so I'm forced to keep my hair in braids quite often, and braids aren't the most protective hairstyle. It's better than just letting it hang loose, but still.

Zesty
October 10th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Looking at your hair - I will definitely take your advice... its going up in a peacock twist right now :)

Haha I'm flattered. :o If you aren't already into hair toys, here is your gateway... Flexis and Ficcare clips and all kinds of other pretties are great for peacock twists.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Also to show you all the damage I did to my hair :( , here is my first months progress on recovery:) as mentioned roots are all virgin I dyed out the blonde/yellow demarcation closer to my natural hair (brown in the shade, auburn in the sun), I religiously oil and treat my hair, BBB and tangle teezer only, micro-trimmer and S&D warrior...

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13656&attachmentid=33589

I hope the image attached from my profile - newbie here so still figuring it out.

Photo did not load - any help?

Alibran
October 10th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Probably that once it gets past a certain length (where it is now at about APL, in fact) it starts to catch on everything I pass when I'm wearing it down. I like wearing it down.

Lady Stardust
October 10th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Awwwwww that's the most adorable thing I've read on here, ever! :crush::crush::crush

That’s so sweet of you to say, thank you :blossom:

lakhesis
October 10th, 2018, 02:40 PM
For me it's dry shampoo ... but before I knew about dry shampoo I used to wash my hair every single morning and then blowdry it, so I guess this is a better option. I just have that type of hair that I feel like looks greasy even though it isn't.

Doreen
October 10th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Also to show you all the damage I did to my hair :( , here is my first months progress on recovery:) as mentioned roots are all virgin I dyed out the blonde/yellow demarcation closer to my natural hair (brown in the shade, auburn in the sun), I religiously oil and treat my hair, BBB and tangle teezer only, micro-trimmer and S&D warrior...

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13656&attachmentid=33589

I hope the image attached from my profile - newbie here so still figuring it out.

Photo did not load - any help?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33589&d=1539198084

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 03:02 PM
You are awesome Doreen!

Doreen
October 10th, 2018, 03:05 PM
You are awesome Doreen!

Thanks! Glad to help! If you right click any image and choose "Copy Image Address" then you can paste it into the field when you click the little image icon on the post editing area.

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Thanks! Glad to help! If you right click any image and choose "Copy Image Address" then you can paste it into the field when you click the little image icon on the post editing area.

Thank you again :hug: , I'm posting from my phone now so will try this tomorrow.

I searched everywhere to try and figure this out.

AutobotsAttack
October 10th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Worst threat to my hair is manipulation. Brushes and combs cause too much tension regardless of how light handed I am. I opt for separating any clumped together or tangled hairs by hand. Takes maybe an extra 30 mins on wash days but I don’t mind anymore. I do detangle under running water with a shower comb but only occasionally now. Like 2 or 3 times a month.

Here’s the beginning of this year where I was using a wide tooth comb to detangle:
https://i.imgflip.com/2juve6.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2juve6)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Maybe 5-6ish months or so of ditching utensils and finger detangling:
https://i.imgflip.com/2juvlf.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2juvlf)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

It’s still slightly sparse in that middle section, but it’s filled in even more now. I’ll have to take more pictures, I’ve been slacking on recording growth.

Stray_mind
October 11th, 2018, 12:00 AM
For now my biggest threats are just stress, anxiety, lack of proper sleep and unhealthy diet.

Not that i can change anything right this moment.

Makyle
October 11th, 2018, 07:27 AM
I have cut back on the brushing as i was doing it multiple times a day since my hair has gotten better , I have thick hair so it hasnt damaged it but as I want to grow to classic eventually I need to be careful, as for poor diet well and sh*tty sleep, I'll get to that when I get there , one step at a time.

Sid0rela
October 11th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Worst threat to my hair is manipulation. Brushes and combs cause too much tension regardless of how light handed I am. I opt for separating any clumped together or tangled hairs by hand. Takes maybe an extra 30 mins on wash days but I don’t mind anymore. I do detangle under running water with a shower comb but only occasionally now. Like 2 or 3 times a month.

Here’s the beginning of this year where I was using a wide tooth comb to detangle:
https://i.imgflip.com/2juve6.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2juve6)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

https://i.imgflip.com/2juvlf.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/2juvlf)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

It’s still slightly sparse in that middle section, but it’s filled in even more now. I’ll have to take more pictures, I’ve been slacking on recording growth.

wow great progress!! Im so glad you found something that works for you.

spidermom
October 11th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I like change. Doing a different bun is not change to me. Sometimes I want to curl it or straighten it.

Makyle
October 11th, 2018, 09:51 AM
If I have heavily coconut and argan oiled my hair and just want to leave it like that for a few days - is that a good or bad idea? and why?

amiraaah
October 11th, 2018, 11:45 AM
If I have heavily coconut and argan oiled my hair and just want to leave it like that for a few days - is that a good or bad idea? and why?
Hello Makyle!I think heavily oiling is okay but if oil is left for 1 hour or something but leaving oil for days is not good at all at least for me.my hair falls like crazy whenever i leave alot of oil in my hair for more than 1 to 2 hours.
What i suggest is;lightly oiling your hair if you want to leave it for days,just take some drops of argan/jojoba (if you have fine thin hair)or coconut oil (if you have medium/coarse hair) and apply it to your length every night.

Edit:Regarding the reason, i heard someone saying that oily hair attracts dirt thus dust can clog your pores and this will lead to hair fall.

Zesty
October 11th, 2018, 11:55 AM

If it's on your scalp that's probably a bad idea, but if it's only on your length and ends it won't *kill* you, though I wouldn't. Have you done this treatment before?

Makyle
October 11th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I have heavily oiled before but only my ends, I have put some oil on the root area (but not directly on the scalp).

lithostoic
October 11th, 2018, 01:56 PM
My hair tangles, for like, no reason. Now that we're moving into cooler weather it's been windy outside. I have to start wearing more protective styles and conditioning more.

gossamer
October 11th, 2018, 02:35 PM
1) Stepping on the ends
2) My trimming scissor for s&d is definitely dull (my partner uses it on their hair regularly) and I haven't s&d-ed in months because I need to figure out where to get scissors sharpened but googling it in my area just directs me to people who have in-home knife sharpening businesses. Nope, I'm definitely not driving to the knife-filled home of a stranger in some obscure suburb, nope nope nope.

Dark40
October 11th, 2018, 04:20 PM
to prevent damage i dont use heat, nor blowdryer or straightners. i also use a french silk serum i bought from a natural shop near my home, which is supposed to be protective and oils. i dont use any dye or bleach and i try to use a satin pillow case.

I also love sleeping with my hair loose at night too, and also on a daily basis during the day. To prevent damage I just condition my hair really well, and keep it moisturized with oils and serums. We my hair type I have to use some type of little heat on my hair. Which is a blowdryer but that's only for 5 minutes. The majority of the time after every wash I let my hair air-dry 100% of the time.

Dark40
October 11th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I would say my worst threat to my hair's health is: Not using too much heat on it.

Ligeia Noire
October 11th, 2018, 07:33 PM
stress and combing.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 11th, 2018, 07:37 PM
haha
- i wear my hair down
- i regularly color and use hair dye
- i manipulate my hair a lot, lots of touching

im not really great at this long hair thing. my self esteem is too low.

squirrrel
October 11th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Tangles = breakage, especially post wash. Slowly learning to counter this. Another reason why I don’t wash more than 1-2 times a week.

EdG
October 12th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Airborne lint is by far the most serious problem. The lint is nearly invisible, but it settles in the hair, becomes wrapped around the hairs during washing, and causes tangles. Lint tangles can persist for long periods of time.

A longhaired person needs an effective means of removing lint.
Ed

Makyle
October 12th, 2018, 05:31 AM
1) Stepping on the ends
2) My trimming scissor for s&d is definitely dull (my partner uses it on their hair regularly) and I haven't s&d-ed in months because I need to figure out where to get scissors sharpened but googling it in my area just directs me to people who have in-home knife sharpening businesses. Nope, I'm definitely not driving to the knife-filled home of a stranger in some obscure suburb, nope nope nope.

Hi Gossamer - https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/ct/whetstones-sharpening-stones.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h7fc38d6z 3JRBIgOMfVLPb3jsxp-wdghqv66q0il6bgJ2gwgOq-3vRoC_LAQAvD_BwE , I hope this link works, but you can purchase your own "whetstone" that is what is used to sharpen knives and scissors, they arent that expensive and come with instructions. My mum has one and all her scissors are scalpel blade sharp...hope that helps

TreesOfEternity
October 12th, 2018, 09:16 AM
My hair's worst threats are any form of heat and rough detangling. And the combination of the two of those results in lots of broken/snapped hairs and split ends.

gossamer
October 12th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Hi Gossamer - https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/ct/whetstones-sharpening-stones.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwjIHeBRAnEiwAhYT2h7fc38d6z 3JRBIgOMfVLPb3jsxp-wdghqv66q0il6bgJ2gwgOq-3vRoC_LAQAvD_BwE , I hope this link works, but you can purchase your own "whetstone" that is what is used to sharpen knives and scissors, they arent that expensive and come with instructions. My mum has one and all her scissors are scalpel blade sharp...hope that helps

Thanks! I'll definitely look into it! My other thought was to go into a local salon or two and ask what they do... of course they're under no obligation to help me, I haven't had my hair cut in a salon since 2006, haha...

JennyLue
October 14th, 2018, 02:11 PM
The worst threat to my hair is my brush. My hair gets tangly and I am too lazy to finger comb at times.

Lady Stardust
October 14th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely look into it! My other thought was to go into a local salon or two and ask what they do... of course they're under no obligation to help me, I haven't had my hair cut in a salon since 2006, haha...

Do you have a Sallys near you? They send away scissors for sharpening, but I don’t know if it matters whether you bought from them in the first place.

My husband told me that scissors need to be sharpened professionally for accuracy, otherwise it affects the balance and precision of the cut. The salon I go to sends the scissors away for sharpening, the rep comes in and picks them up and delivers them back, so you might be able to find a local salon that will let you add your scissors to their lot.

aethyra
November 9th, 2018, 11:46 AM

I think your hair is very beautiful. Your blonde growth is in excellent condition.

aethyra
November 9th, 2018, 12:01 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow! The 6 months of growth in length and thickness is fantastic!! I love your hair too! What do you eat and what supplements are you using? I need to be taking whatever you are taking! :)

MusicalSpoons
November 9th, 2018, 12:18 PM

[Image]

[Image]

I don't remember whether I responded to this originally but WOW what a huge difference! The growth itself is amazing, but the progress in your hemline is just astonishing! Scary how much damage one simple thing can cause, but fantastic that you've so quickly seen the benefits from making that one change.

Arciela
November 9th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Mine was just...myself really LOL I used to use heat and bleach and wonder why I had short, fried hair. I don't really have any issues with my hair having any damage anymore now that I stopped all the bad stuff. Since I cut off all my bleach damage all the tangles and issues I had all but disappeared too.

YvetteVarie
November 10th, 2018, 01:48 AM
Mine is myself. I get lazy and don't do what I need to do (i.e. deep condition often, moisturise and seal), and it stalls my progress. Currently I blame it on pregnancy, it's getting hard to wash my hair, and I can't afford to go to the salon for a while

WyntreBlossom
November 10th, 2018, 03:53 AM
Mine is a number of things.
1) Still using a classic pillow case. I don't even know the material it's made of. Can't afford a silk or satin on at this time.
2) I brush it several times a day with a classic canair square brush (Can't afford a BBB or wet brush, and I get so many tangles when my hair isn't up or braided that I can't seem to break my brushing habit.)
3) My hair is very bad at holding styles so buns and braids have to be redone several times a day which = more brushing.
4) I try to force myself to sleep in a loose, half done dutch braid, but the hair falls out easily and the braid is uncomfortable so on very frustrating nights I just sleep loose.
5) Still haven't bought any oil to start oiling. Again monetary issues there.

I try to counterbalance this with no heat no dyes and no trims, as well as protective styles and safe hair toys like a wooden chopstick for buns. I still have to use a regular elastic for my braids though which isn't the best.

Hairkay
November 10th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Airborne lint is by far the most serious problem. The lint is nearly invisible, but it settles in the hair, becomes wrapped around the hairs during washing, and causes tangles. Lint tangles can persist for long periods of time.

A longhaired person needs an effective means of removing lint.
Ed

I agree with you. My hair can't take too much manipulation and it can get caught in zips and bag straps which is why updos are great. I do finger detangle but I also have times that I use a comb because that gets out the most lint. I style my hair once a week to ease up on manipulation and this is very convenient for me.

Wendyclaire
November 10th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I like to brush my hair with a plastic hair brush. It makes my scalp feel good. I even liked the snap crackle pop sour as I brushed,, that is until I realized that was my hair snapping! Ugh! Have stopped using it but I haven’t found another brush that makes my scalp as happy! Sigh!

Wendyclaire
November 10th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I like to brush my hair with a plastic hair brush. It makes my scalp feel good. I even liked the snap crackle pop sound as I brushed,, that is until I realized that was my hair snapping! Ugh! Have stopped using it but I haven’t found another brush that makes my scalp as happy! Sigh!
Sorry, can’t seem to edit!

lapushka
November 10th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Sorry, can’t seem to edit!

This may help! :) It's always good to read the stickies in the newbie section. ;)
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520

blackgothicdoll
November 10th, 2018, 06:22 PM
My horsemen of unhealthy hair are:

BBB's with nylon bristles. These are literally satan to my hair. I suffered mid-strand splits at the top of my hair where I used to smooth my hair when bunning. At one point I finally threw mine in the trash, just because setting it on fire would have set of the smoke alarms. I now make sure any "BBB" I get is BOAR BRISTLES, no nylon, and still try to use them very sparingly.

Rough detangling. With my coarse hair type, it's better for me to only use my fingers, but I also use a wooden brush and I found this worked far better for me. I liked Denman when my hair was shorter, but now that's it's growing again I think the bristles are too close together. I'll consider removing every other row of bristles, but just using a wooden brush seems good enough for now.

Dye. Not so much anymore that I'm more conscious, but I used to color my hair every 3 months with a lift + deposit dye. I have an obsession with jet black or blue black hair. My hair actually got to almost APL years ago when I was constantly dying and bleaching, but it was so fried....

Heat. I have mostly cut out heat at this point, but when I have a hot date I reached for the flat iron. When I got long periods without heat, I notice I don't need to trim. The moment I use heat, I need a trim.

Hair salons. I used to go to the salon for trims. A month ago was the last time, as the stylist didn't like how frizzy my hair was and needed to press it even further before trimming it. She fried it. Whole salon smelled like burnt hair, and some of my curls didn't revert. Never again.

Travelling and forgetting to pack a satin bonnet. Sleeping on the cotton hotel pillowcases is awful for my hair.

My Navy baseball cap. I like it better than the combination cover, but the velcro snags my hair when I take it off. It's bad when I'm in uniform for weeks at a time, otherwise I only deal with it once a month but it still sucks.

Most of these things I can avoid... but they're still pains in the butt.

Curlyeve
November 13th, 2018, 07:25 AM
The most damaging thing I still do to my hair are:
-wearing it down. I did decrease the frequency from all the time once a week. My hair is now long enough, that it gets in the way, when it is down. But I still enjoy it wearing it that way from time to time, because I love the look of it.
-diffusing. There is no way I could quit that. My hair just take too long to dry. And I don't want to risk pneumonia 😊. I do plop my hair in microfiber hair turban, so that hair is not soaking wet and then diffuse on warm setting.

I used to do all sorts of crazy things with my hair, like bleach it, flat iron it every month, rip through tangles... So I guess I am getting better 😊.

bokeh
November 14th, 2018, 05:19 PM
I like to protect my hair from sunlight as much as possible because when I was younger it was always terribly damaged by the sun and from swimming. It's hard to always be prepared to cover it up when outdoors especially when I don't want to put a hat over my updo.

littlestarface
November 14th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Me and my extreme laziness, i'm so lazy and cant be bothered sometimes.