PDA

View Full Version : No-Bleach Challenge 2019!

cupcake_drgn
October 10th, 2018, 03:45 AM
hello!~
I'm creating this challenge to see if I can abstain from bleaching my new growth in the upcoming year.
I've been dyeing my own hair since 2010, in a kind of Ramona Flowers-esque pattern. I have a habit of bleaching my hair white & trying a fashion colour every month, sometimes every 2 weeks. My hair is very fragile now, with the elasticity of wet tissue.

I want to actually give my hair a break so it can grow, I want long hair more than new hair (if this makes sense).

I also am very ready to stop dyeing, for the sake of the planet. I waste a lot of plastic each time I color my hair. :karma2:

・‥…━━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━━…‥・

~rules~

*no bleaching after 00:00 of the 1st of January, of the year 2019.

there's only one "rule" I suppose!~

"No bleach" here means:
*no french shampoos (bleach/shampoo to remove color),
*no foils, panels, highlights
*no bleaching of the outgrowth
*no bleach kits
*no high lift tints
*no developers higher than 20vol for toners

Toners are allowed for this challenge (toners will sometimes lift but this challenge is centered on not using straight up bleach).

Color removers (colourB4, colour oops, +) are ok, alternative lifting methods (vitamin-c powder, sun in, lemon juice, +) don't count~

Natural dyes of course are fine!~

Let's do this!~ (cupcake_drgn, october 2018 :pumpkin:)

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 03:51 AM
I am IN!!! , I am already growing out bleach damage and trying to go completely natural, but with the temptation of platinum tresses, i think this challenge is excellent and the support would be awesome!

DaintyOctopus
October 10th, 2018, 05:13 AM
I'll join in!

I've managed a year so far of no bleaching and/or dying however I am certainly feeling that itch to reach for the stuff again >.< I have always loved blue hair, I miss mine so much and still retain a years worth of bleach damage from a lilac pastel asymmetric pixie I started growing out from. I want to microtrim the damage off as I grow out now and resist the urge to bleach and colour my hair again, hopefully this will help as I need all the help I can get at the minute.

I can have very bad impulses when it comes to colouring hair!

Aerya
October 10th, 2018, 05:14 AM
I'm planning on quitting dyes (counting bleach, obviously) for good, so if you don't mind me stretching it to no peroxide whatsoever, I'm in. Right now I'm motivated and all about growing out my virgin hair, but knowing myself, that can change on a whim. :)

cupcake_drgn
October 10th, 2018, 05:14 AM
awesome!! welcome to the no-bleach club!! :D

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 05:23 AM
i'm totally in!!
i have been NO BLEACH since 19 july 2017, and have not colored my hair since november 2017 (i had to dye it gray-ish because my blonde hair was too yellow looking). haven't touched my hair since than.
i sometimes get the urge to dye my hair, but i'm loving how soft and healthy my virgin hair feels.
by the end of december 2019, i will be 2.5 years without bleach so i'm excited.

YAYY for virgin healthy hair.:happydance:

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 05:24 AM
This is great :

my current stats are :

Stopped bleach: May 2018
current length : awkward APL to barely BSL
Hair type : Thick 1C
Natural colour : Auburn
Goal : Classic (all natural)
Reason for quitting dye/bleach : tired of the damage

Any one else want to share :)

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 05:38 AM
my current stats:

stopped bleach: 19 july 2017
current length: APL going its way to BSL
hair type: thick 1b
natural color: warm mocha (i think)
goal: TBL, all virgin hair
reason for quitting dye/bleach: i love the feeling of being natural (hence going most of the times without makeup, and wanting virgin hair)

:beerchug:

Makyle
October 10th, 2018, 06:02 AM
:popcorn: I am going to be watching this thread - lets do this ladies :) We are better than bleach!

cupcake_drgn
October 10th, 2018, 09:06 AM
hooray!~

stopped bleach: august 2018
current length : shoulder-length (24cm from root to tip)
Hair type : 2a/b, course/medium
Natural colour : level 7 brown
Goal : Hip length(56cm), bangs, copper using cassia/henna or beet juice
Reason for quitting dye/bleach : to grow long healthy hair~

lapushka
October 10th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Wanting to wish you good luck with your challenge! Great idea for a challenge.

Good luck everyone! :happydance:

Sid0rela
October 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM

thank you lapushka :waving:

cupcake_drgn
October 10th, 2018, 11:18 AM

thanks lapushka! I was inspired by your no-trimming challenge :D

blesseddamozel
October 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I'll join!! :)

DaintyOctopus
October 10th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Thank you lapushka ^.^ And welcome blesseddamozel!

My current stats:

stopped bleach: 19 May 2017, however carried on dying hair a slightly warmer shade of brown than my natural colour so overall developer and dye stopped in July 2018
current length: APL wavy/curly (just). Stretched it just reached BSL. Micro-trimming for a while to thicken damaged ends before moving on.
hair type: thick Not sure... Somewhere in the 2 range I think... maybe just verging on 3a in a couple places? *shrugs* Need to do a type post some when!
natural color: Medium brown, cool tones
goal: Hip length 33"
reason for quitting dye/bleach: I've spent the past 15 years dying and bleaching my hair into oblivion. Although I've loved the fun of it and the beautiful colours I slowly tired of the maintenance and missed my natural wave/curl pattern and wanted to experience that again. Also the frizz and heat damage is a nightmare to take care of... My poor hair.

lapushka
October 10th, 2018, 03:45 PM
thanks lapushka! I was inspired by your no-trimming challenge :D

I'm glad I could inspire! :) :cheer:

Makyle
October 11th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Today to ward off the urge I reached for my coconut and argan oil - made a little mixture of both warm it and have applied a nourishing oil treatment, bunned up my hair and basically spent some time treating my hair , it squashes any bleaching urges.

I will take thick healthy natural hair over bleach damage, thanks. :)

cupcake_drgn
October 11th, 2018, 08:49 AM
awesome! :D

Makyle
October 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM
awesome! :D

Thank you for this challenge , :crush:

Quick question : If I have heavily coconut and argan oiled my hair and just want to leave it like that for a few days - is that a good or bad idea? and why?

cupcake_drgn
October 11th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Thank you for this challenge , :crush:

Quick question : If I have heavily coconut and argan oiled my hair and just want to leave it like that for a few days - is that a good or bad idea? and why?

Awh ur welcome!~~☆
Oil left on the hair is one of the best things I can think of! The only issue really is if the oil gets on your skin/scalp. Argan is my favorite hair oil~ always makes my hair shine without weighing it down :)

Makyle
October 12th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Ok update, left it on my hair through the night and the rest of today - zero hairfall and my hair is soft and lovely, i think my hair adores the argan/coconut oil mix (especially the damaged ends).

I needed to stem off a bleaching urge so I think it was the way I applied the oil that worked for me - I sort of treated it like I would normlly have applied bleach -

I used my plastic mixing bowl - mixed argan oil and coconut oil - (like you would mix bleach and peroxide - lol)
and applied from my ends upwards keeping a half inch away from my scalp (as you would with bleach lol - again)
Wrapped it up for warmth (again same as bleach)

So this worked for me - and I was so much happier knowing I was treating my hair instead of basically dipping it in acid.

Aerya
October 12th, 2018, 06:11 AM
I'm happy it worked well for you - oils can really be wonderful! Applying in the same way one would bleach is a clever way of combating urges. It really puts in perspective just how weird it is to soak our hair in such harmful chemicals, doesn't it?

I used to have a mindset of "as long as I can make it look good, it's okay." Nevermind I had to soak my hair in oils and leave-ins just to make it lay flat! And the more regrowth I get, the more I can see that the texture is way off. While it might look decent for fried hair, it's a whole other creature than my virgin strands! At least this difference serves as a stark reminder not to ever touch dye, and certainly not bleach, again.

Makyle
October 12th, 2018, 06:29 AM
I'm happy it worked well for you - oils can really be wonderful! Applying in the same way one would bleach is a clever way of combating urges. It really puts in perspective just how weird it is to soak our hair in such harmful chemicals, doesn't it?

I used to have a mindset of "as long as I can make it look good, it's okay." Nevermind I had to soak my hair in oils and leave-ins just to make it lay flat! And the more regrowth I get, the more I can see that the texture is way off. While it might look decent for fried hair, it's a whole other creature than my virgin strands! At least this difference serves as a stark reminder not to ever touch dye, and certainly not bleach, again.

I COMPLETELY agree, even though my damaged ends have recovered dramatically since i started my care routine, my virgin regrowth is a whole other level of gorgeous, and it is DEFINITE motivation to stay away from the bleach.

I think the longer we abstain from bleach the easier it will get as our roots will cheer us on :)