PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing between washing?

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have a feeling that I may be missing something really big and obvious, but I can't seem to find the information I need in a search.

For several reasons, I take a shower or bath pretty much every day. Since I'm in there already, I CWC or CO my hair, depending on how much time I have. Since I've been at the LHC, I don't need to worry so much about cleaning my hair for oil, since the oilies calmed down a lot when I started using gentler products.

I'd like to skip washing each day, because a lot of days I just don't need it. But, I hate getting everything else clean and not cleaning my hair, because even without the oilies, it still feels "sweaty" and I don't feel refreshed. Plus, I love the cool and soft feeling of my hair when it dries.

Is it possible that I could just rinse well with water in between those days when I probably actually do need to do more? I know that sounds stupid, like I'm asking permission. I guess I'm just wondering if other people do that, and does it work for you?

I hope this made sense!

BlndeInDisguise
November 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
You absolutely can! :) There are a lot of people on here who only rinse with water.

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I saw that, and I've seen the water only thread. That's what started me thinking about it. I just didn't know if anyone did rinsing in between regular cleansing. I figured a lot of folks probably did, but it's not really a "method" so I couldn't find anything specific in the search. :)

Thanks for your help!

Ice~Cold~Wind
November 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hey! That sounds like a good idea! :D I hate that sweaty dirty feeling I get when I skip a wash. I'll try this! Good post ;)

Aries_jb
November 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I wash my hair twice a week, but I wet it every day and condition it. My hair is curly so it fuzzes up in the heat of the shower if I don't wet it down. I add the conditioner to help me detangle, but if that's not an issue for you, then you could definitely skip that step.

galleth
November 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I definitely do WO in-between washes!

I only CO every 6 days, and I do a WO wash the fourth day. Helps spread the natural oils and makes my hair sooooo soft! :)

holycannoli
November 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
I do this! I shower every 1-2 days, only doing CO every 3-4 days with the water rinses in between. I find it helpful in WO washes to rinse with very hot water and scrub your scalp with your fingertips, then finish with a cold water rinse - much less greasy. HTH!

truepeacenik
November 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I 've done it, mainly in summer.

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you! I figured it was probably something people were doing. I'm glad to hear it works well :)

jeno
November 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
I do this too. I CO once a week and rinse my hair with water inbetween. Sometimes I put oil in it after rinse, because I have very dry hair.

Katze
November 4th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Until I became pregnant I was alternating CW or CWC or just W (shampoo only) washes with WO washes, with very good results; shinier, softer, wavier hair. My hair really did get "clean" at least for a couple of days with this method. I did - and do - still need shampoo, and I need to heavily shampoo every month or so without any conditioner, as my hair gets buildup easily. But at least until August, WO was working very well as an "in between" wash - every 3-4 days or so.

Now that I am pregnant my hair and scalp seem to be a lot oilier and I notice I need more shampooings. While WO, and the scalp massage I'd give myself during it, was nice, it just doesn't get my hair clean anymore.

hipmama1970
November 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Until I became pregnant I was alternating CW or CWC or just W (shampoo only) washes with WO washes, with very good results; shinier, softer, wavier hair. My hair really did get "clean" at least for a couple of days with this method. I did - and do - still need shampoo, and I need to heavily shampoo every month or so without any conditioner, as my hair gets buildup easily. But at least until August, WO was working very well as an "in between" wash - every 3-4 days or so.

Now that I am pregnant my hair and scalp seem to be a lot oilier and I notice I need more shampooings. While WO, and the scalp massage I'd give myself during it, was nice, it just doesn't get my hair clean anymore.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I was a greaseball every time I was pregnant. More than normal, and I've been a very oily person pretty much my whole life!

Hope all goes well, I love being pregnant. Yay you! :)

Islandgrrl
November 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Jen.... I highly recommend water only rinses between shampoos. I can get away with shampooing once a week-ish this way, and my hair (unless I've done something silly, like over-oil, ahem) looks and feels clean much longer than if I just stuffed up into a bun on the in-between days. I don't always do it every day, but I have in the past. :)

spidermom
November 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I like to keep my hair dry between washes and put it under a shower cap, although if I've been sweating a lot for some reason, I'll do water rinses between washings as well.

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have tried this many times but it never really works very well for me for some reason. It's different for everyone I guess! It may be my hard water :shrug:

Honey39
November 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I CO wash every day because I like the way my hair feels - if it weren't so wurly, I would try WO rinses, but using conditioner in the shower is the only time of day that I ever detangle, so I need that step. But yeah, give it a go! I think it sounds like a great idea - I think quite a lot of people do the whole rinsing thing without any washing, but not as a long-term cleansing method, but as you say, in between washes.

Enjoy!

chotee
November 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I think rinsing is great to get the sweat out especially after a good workout. But one thing i have noticed is that the hair shouldn't be oily or very oily. If it is oily the hair becomes limp and weighed down. I don't like the feel of it. But rinsing does really help when the hair is slightly oiled.

hipmama1970
November 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've been rinsing in between and it seems to be going OK. I'm still a little extra oily, but I think that's just from spacing out the cleaning, not from anything having to do with the water.

:)

Magicknthenight
November 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
o0o this sounds like an interesting thing to try.
hope it continues to work out for you:)
I'm gonna try this sometime..been hearing things about it for a while

Tangles
November 9th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I have to get my crown wet every day if I want to wear my hair down on the second day. This is very normal. Some hair likes to be wet. Just don't strip it with shampoos daily and you'll be fine!

Katze
November 10th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I think there is a distinction to be made between WO 'washing' - which in my case involved repeated scalp massage under running warm water (aaaaah! :D) and 'rinsing', which I would take to mean just getting the hair wet.

Just getting my hair wet didn't get it clean, and if anything sometimes exacerbated the effects of sweat or humidity on my hair. This was sometimes good, in that it helped dry hair get wavier, but it didn't get my scalp as 'clean' as WO washing.

hth

ilovelonghair
November 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
How do you make sure hair doesn't get oily from rinsing? My hair tends to go extremely oily and yucky if I just rinse it. I haven't dared yet to condishen only (do you do the scalp as well in that case?). I can't stand greasyness!

Albrun
November 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I normally wash once a week. My skalp get's very itchy if i would wash more. But sometimes I go to a sole bath and have to wash afterwards, so I just do WO. The hair don't look greasy at all and I could stretch the washing cycle.

Albrun

SouthernBelleUS
June 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I'm all about trying a WO wash. It seems to me that the sebum would protect the hair naturally. I tend to sweat and have been using the CO wash method, which does freshen my hair & scalp.

My main worry with WO washing is that my head & hair will smell nasty--I mean like someone's butt nasty, or like ear jam (mine smells like gorgonzola cheese)! (IRP! I think I just made myself sick at the thought of that one....). "sigh"

I suppose the WO method could be used every so often, but I really enjoy the CO wash.

Hiriel
June 2nd, 2011, 05:53 AM
I wash my hair once a week, and for the showers in between I put my hair up to keep it out of the water, except for when I've been exercising hard. When I have, I rinse my hair with just water. It removes the sweat well for me, but I shower before the sweat has time to dry. It tangles my hair a bit more than when finishing with conditioner, but I just wait until it's completely dry before detangling it.

Rivanariko
June 2nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
I used to do a WO wash in between CWC once a week just to keep my scalp feeling refreshed. It worked really well when I was living in Oregon, but my water is ridiculously hard here in North Dakota, so WO leaves it feeling grimy and disgusting. Now I don't get it wet unless I'm CWCing, but rinsing with water in between "washes" was hugely successful for me for about a year. As soon as we move back to somewhere with softer water, I'll go back to that routine as my scalp was a lot happier. I just haven't found a way to reconcile with the hard water here.

HintOfMint
June 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
For some reason, rinsing in between washes just doesn't work for me. My hair gets really matted, dry and poofy. If water touches it, it needs conditioner, or oil or SOMETHING.

reneemichelle
June 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
I love shower caps to keep my hair dry without skipping necessary showers. Now that it is summer I think I'll consider just rinsing with water if I've been sweating or my hair feels dirty.

Peanutter
June 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I think there is a distinction to be made between WO 'washing' - which in my case involved repeated scalp massage under running warm water (aaaaah! :D) and 'rinsing', which I would take to mean just getting the hair wet.

Just getting my hair wet didn't get it clean, and if anything sometimes exacerbated the effects of sweat or humidity on my hair. This was sometimes good, in that it helped dry hair get wavier, but it didn't get my scalp as 'clean' as WO washing.

hth

I needed that advice.. I've been using a shower cap because I found just rinsing made my hair more oily feeling, but maybe if I try WO washing in between CWC every other day instead, it'll work. Thanks for the tip!

Amraann
June 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
I wet my hair often in between washing. I use WEN to wash with.

On days that I wet it down I put some extra wen on my ends as a leave in. As an alternate to that I have a small spray bottle that I put about 5-6 pumps of Wen in and about a quarter size amount of their styling gel. To that I add water and some days I spray my hair down with that mixture.

Since my hair is wavy wetting it down is the only way to comb it to make sure it is not all ratty and tangled.

ravenreed
June 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Rinsing only between washing is something you have to try to see if it works for you. If I rinse with just water I instantly get the greasies. It is really annoying because I would love to be able to rinse with just water. I have even tried rinsing with ACV and lemon juice but neither helped a bit.

AshNight1214
June 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
This is probably something you should try a few times. I've found that rinsing without washing just makes my hair really oily feeling. It's likely just my hair being wonky, but definitely good to try to find out! :D

cygus
June 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
i sometimes do only water as well between CO washings. but i also make sure to massage the scalp well, which helps to move the sebum down. my hair is not as fab as a CO wash but it'll do. since i work out almost everyday, I have to allow for sometimes not having hair i can wear down because if i wash everyday, it'll look like crap. i do feel like hair beauty is sometimes sacrificed for body beauty and feeling healthy, but i just do a nice updo and concentrate on pretty makeup and a banging outfit! luckily, i've always been told my face does well with updos - i would be lost (and very short-haired) without updos!