PDA

View Full Version : Can you get highlights with product already in your hair?

Blondieee
October 9th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I have an appointment for blonde balayage highlights on Thursday. I just shampooed my hair and deep conditioned it. Normally I put Moroccan Oil curl defining cream in my hair after I comb it out. Should I do that today or not? It's really frizzy without it. But I don't know if bleach can penetrate product since it will still be in my hair on Thursday?

Ylva
October 9th, 2018, 03:54 PM
My hairdresser has said that bleach is able to penetrate through oils and other products. However, I still clarify my root area the previous day when I go get my roots done to make sure there at least isn't any buildup there. But that's only because I always want to get the maximum lightening out of my sessions. If you don't have a definite goal like that, I wouldn't worry about the products.

lapushka
October 9th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I have an appointment for blonde balayage highlights on Thursday. I just shampooed my hair and deep conditioned it. Normally I put Moroccan Oil curl defining cream in my hair after I comb it out. Should I do that today or not? It's really frizzy without it. But I don't know if bleach can penetrate product since it will still be in my hair on Thursday?

Nothing will prevent bleach from entering the hair; not a thing, so go right ahead with your leave-in or oil, or what have you.

Dark40
October 9th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Yes, you can go on ahead get your highlights done with your oils and products in your hair. That shouldn't block the bleach from penetrating the hair shaft.

Ylva
October 9th, 2018, 07:34 PM
The only thing I came to think of is, if you have hard water, you may want to clarify your hair prior to your bleach appointment, or at least inform your hairdresser about your water. Mineral deposits in the hair can cause unpleasant chemical reactions when they meet bleach. When this happened to me, according to the hairdresser, the bleach was dripping on the floor (it produced something watery) and it produced very strong fumes that hurt both my and the hairdresser's eyes.

Longlegs
October 10th, 2018, 03:04 AM
It's usually recommended that you don't wash beforehand so your natural oils protect your hair and scalp. you can even soak your hair in oils like coconut or argan prior to bleaching. Bleach can penetrate any styling products.

Alibran
October 10th, 2018, 05:37 AM
Yes, bleach will penetrate anything. I always have a ton of leave in and oil in my hair when I get it coloured, and there's no problem with the colour taking.