PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Poo Oil After Leave In Conditioner?

FennFire911
October 9th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Whenever I wash, I finish off with some form of a leave in conditioner while my hair is still damp. I found a spray-in that I love, not sure but it probably has cones. And I have a serum that's definitely cone-y, plus two SM ones that don't have cones. I switch it up based on how my hair feels.
My question is, can I put in a pro-poo oil even though I have the previous wash's leave in still on my hair? I have several oils I choose from based on my mood as well, but I haven't been using them lately because I wonder about their effectiveness if something else is already on my hair.
I have argan, macadamia nut, grape seed, sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, a store bought mix of Tamanu Hemp oil.
Can I use any of those as a pre-poo if I have cones or anything else in my ends already?
TIA!

TreesOfEternity
October 9th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I always do this, even having sealing oils from the days between washes in my hair, and the pre-poo seems to do its job! I think products can protect the hair but nothing seals it 100%, and there are always hairs the leave-in doesn't reach.

lapushka
October 9th, 2018, 03:32 PM
My question is, can I put in a pro-poo oil even though I have the previous wash's leave in still on my hair? I have several oils I choose from based on my mood as well, but I haven't been using them lately because I wonder about their effectiveness if something else is already on my hair.
I have argan, macadamia nut, grape seed, sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, a store bought mix of Tamanu Hemp oil.
Can I use any of those as a pre-poo if I have cones or anything else in my ends already?

Sure you can. I don't see why not. Cones don't stop things from penetrating, else you wouldn't be able to wash your hair at all (water would not be able to get through), if silicones sealed off the hair.

nycelle
October 9th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Yep, absolutely.

Nothing is going to seal your hair completely, plus things do wear off. So your leave-in isn't doing much a few days after you've used it. The cones won't stop other products from absorbing either.

Ylva
October 9th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I don't think it will be as effective as it would be without any film formers on your hair, but as far as I know, it would still be beneficial. And like TreesOfEternity said, you will have missed some hairs anyway.

Ylva
October 9th, 2018, 03:37 PM
A question to someone who is well versed in this subject.

I know there are different types of silicones, but if we talk about water insoluble ones in general, which one prevents absorption more, mineral oil or water insoluble silicones? Assuming there is only one "layer" of the stuff on the hair.

lapushka
October 9th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I know there are different types of silicones, but if we talk about water insoluble ones in general, which one prevents absorption more, mineral oil or water insoluble silicones? Assuming there is only one "layer" of the stuff on the hair.

TBH, I don't know the answer to this question; good question, though. I don't think they stop absorption much at all, but that's just my belief. Otherwise you would not be able to get your hair wet (a waxy film would be on it until you washed - and that is never the case).

FennFire911
October 9th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Thanks everybody for your thoughtful answers! There is only one layer of any leave in I use. I wash every other, or usually every 3rd day. On non wash days I don't add extra things to my hair so the only thing that's in my hair on wash day is whatever is a few days old.

A question to someone who is well versed in this subject.

Well the serum I use lists cyclomethacone high on the ingredient list. It was my understanding that that is one of the better ones, but I could be mistaken. I don't use it frequently anyway. The new one I'm using by Ion from Sally's, I don't recognize in the ingredient list anything that I know for sure is a cone. Certainly no dimethicone.

I'll post my length pic from today in just a little bit. I'm so disappointed in my ends, I really need to discipline myself to get serious and take care of my ends if I expect to see respectable results.

Thank you again for the input and feel free to keep on with the insights. I love the wealth of knowledge I get here when I need advice! :)