PDA

View Full Version : Onion infused oil

GoldenRussian
October 8th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Hello, has anyone fo you tried to use an oil where you put a cut up onion for a few days ? It's supposed to stimulate hair growth but if oils such as mustard oil and castor oil are enough combined with scalp massage, why are people still talking about it ? Is it worth it ? What's you experience ?

illicitlizard
October 9th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Huh sounds... Interesting? Afaik there's no tried and tested method to actually speed up hair growth outside of proper nutrition and care. What about the onion is supposed to stimulate growth? Or is it just that it's applied with scalp massage thus stimulating blood flow or something? I personally wouldn't try it because ew onions stink I don't need that on my hair. But maybe it does work for some...

Joules
October 9th, 2018, 06:12 AM
I tried onion juice on my hair once. Couldn't get the stench out of my hair for 6 months. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Lysanto
October 9th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Hi! I have tried it as well, but I couldn't stand the smell either, it stuck for so long!
Your hair is mainly made out of keratin molecules and these are connected to each other by disulfide bridges. Now onions contain sulfur, and the idea is that when you massage onion juice in your hair, the hair follicles will absorb some of the sulfer, and this will increase the production of keratin. It might work, I have really looked into the literature, but I couldn't bear the smell, so I stopped using it after one try!

nycelle
October 9th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Someone's doing it right now @littleogre I think.

She said she had a growth spurt.. dunno..

LittleOgre
October 9th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Hello! I'm not exactly sure about that. For me I boiled yellow onions including the skin and applied it to my scalp specifically. I defintiley saw results but I'm waiting for my next retightining so i can try again but take photos. It might work with oil. You should try and tell. I personally dont like the idea of keeping onion on my scalp. I just leave it on for 20-30 minutes then I wash it all off. But you can always try

LittleOgre
October 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM
That's very odd. Was it onion essential oil? I use onion juice and there isnt an extremely strong smell to it. After I finish boiling it

illicitlizard
October 10th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Hi! I have tried it as well, but I couldn't stand the smell either, it stuck for so long!
Your hair is mainly made out of keratin molecules and these are connected to each other by disulfide bridges. Now onions contain sulfur, and the idea is that when you massage onion juice in your hair, the hair follicles will absorb some of the sulfer, and this will increase the production of keratin. It might work, I have really looked into the literature, but I couldn't bear the smell, so I stopped using it after one try!

Oh I see, so there's some kind of reasoning behind it haha. Hopefully it works for the people who do decide to use it! I don't think I'd want to look into the science behind it tbh, even if it does work still don't want to smell like onions for any period of time :// (plus it's kinda a waste of food, I need my onions for dinner!)

Doreen
October 10th, 2018, 12:42 PM

Hmm.. I would think that eating the onions also gives your follicles more sulfur to work with???

LittleOgre
October 10th, 2018, 01:02 PM
I hope thats true because I put fried onions in all my dishes lol

Doreen
October 10th, 2018, 03:17 PM
I admit, I don't eat onions. Occasionally I have green onions in a soup or other dish, but otherwise, I am onion-free. Including my hair.

LittleOgre
October 10th, 2018, 08:32 PM
You're missing out xD

Shorty89
October 10th, 2018, 09:34 PM
I tried onion juice on my hair once. Couldn't get the stench out of my hair for 6 months. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

I remember that some people tried this on the old LHC. I think they agreed that it coudl be helpful but the smell wasn't worth any potential benefit.

illicitlizard
October 11th, 2018, 07:50 AM
I admit, I don't eat onions. Occasionally I have green onions in a soup or other dish, but otherwise, I am onion-free. Including my hair.

Oh my goodness, I couldn't live without onions. Literally all my curries/soups/most pasta sauces have onion in them and that's >1/2 my diet! And of course spring onions in stir fries/fried rice. I wouldn't know what to do without them.