PDA

View Full Version : Are there any hair styles you just cannot get right matter how much you try?

Jas
October 8th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I thought about this because there is one style that NEVER works for me, which makes me so sad - I end up doing it wrong and I can just never get it right.

The bow. The half up half down bow.

It is beyond me. I've tried following different youtube tutorials and it still comes out wrong - so I've completely given up on it xD It just annoys me because it looks like it should be easy and I've done "harder" hairstyles first time trying.

So, are there any styles that you just cannot get right?

lapushka
October 8th, 2018, 04:14 PM
For a long time I could not get a Nautilus to sit right in my hair, just my hair was too short. Now at FTL, I can do one with the full hand and one wrap around. Love it.

Sometimes all a style needs is more length.

I do fear that for that "bow" you actually need less length and that it is a great style on shorter heads of hair.

littlestarface
October 8th, 2018, 04:20 PM
There's a ton of styles I cant do no matter how many times I tried. I tried to do that dumb endless wrap around braid but it ends with me always crying. Not to mention a thousand others I cant do.

LittleOgre
October 8th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Cornrows. I struggle so much with it. Althought the way I cornrows it looks like suck a loose fairytale look. Neat tight cornrows i will never be able to do.

bparnell75
October 8th, 2018, 04:24 PM
French braids.

blesseddamozel
October 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM
For the life of me I can't do any sort of braiding on myself besides the standard 3 strand braid. Ah....gotta practice more

Doreen
October 8th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Woven styles are basically impossible for me alone. I'm also bad at any hairstyles that use an irregular part, like a circular part or squiggly part. I can part my hair just fine but without being able to see my head at all times it's hard for me to still follow the part for whatever style I'm doing and it turns out looking messy or just doesn't work at all.

lithostoic
October 8th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Double french/dutch braids (awkward/painful angle), crown braid (can never get it tight enough). Disc bun is always waaayyy too tight. Like unable to insert the stick, tight. People have been suggesting that bun to me since I was APL and I still can't accomplish it at near-hip!

Five of Five
October 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Any sort of ponytail higher than the nape. It always pulls within a few minutes! I don't know how so many people can tolerate it.

*Wednesday*
October 8th, 2018, 05:57 PM
A low bun. A neat one. I just can't.

Flagg
October 8th, 2018, 06:08 PM
The lazy wrap, at least for right now. I used a pen as a hairstick today, and the bun would be tight at first then unravel as the day progressed. And my ends were poking out all crazy. I used to be able to do it, but at my length as is I guess it's a no go.

Emma Rose
October 8th, 2018, 08:21 PM
It used to be waterfall braids but now I can get them it's crown braids

illicitlizard
October 9th, 2018, 05:24 AM
Woven styles are basically impossible for me alone. I'm also bad at any hairstyles that use an irregular part, like a circular part or squiggly part. I can part my hair just fine but without being able to see my head at all times it's hard for me to still follow the part for whatever style I'm doing and it turns out looking messy or just doesn't work at all.

OMG same! I could never get the hang of a zig-zag parting. Another couple of hairstyles I could never make look good on me were milkmaid braids and the princess roll updo (I think that's what it's called? who knows.)... I just could not get my hair to stay put! Oh and pretty much any messy style, they're really tricky with straight hair and no product, and I kinda hate product on my hair.

Joules
October 9th, 2018, 06:03 AM
Bows don't work on my hair either, mostly because of the taper.

Crown braids are forever my biggest pain. Not faux crown braids, actual crown braids, like a French or Dutch braid braided in a circle. No, just no. It goes well when I braid downwards, but the moment I have to flip my head upside-down and braid like that things get bad. I don't know what exactly goes wrong, maybe it's my texture, all the youtube tutorials are always done on sleek straight hair, and mine is far from it. I just accepted it at this point.

Diagonal French and Dutch braids (think Catniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games) don't go well on me about 85% of the time. I used to do this style very well when I just discovered it, but the more I do it, the worse it turns out. It's like some sort of a curse. It's sad, I really like diagonal braids.

A lot of high updos aren't for me because I get headaches, but that's a different story.

Sora Rose
October 9th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Another person who can't do crown braids here. Always wanted to, but I always get mixed up before I'm even a third of the way around. I blamed my bangs originally, but they're shoulder length now, and I don't think they're the only culprit.

Also, pretty much any braid other than a three strand plait. Braided buns are still beyond my comprehension as well.

I'm pretty inept at hairstyling, come to think of it.

Milady_DeWinter
October 9th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Celtic knot bun!! I need way more lenght... May be sometime by next year, at BCL, dunno. Also french twist, figure 8, etc :shrug:

Jas
October 9th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I've never actually tried a real crown braid - only english braided then put the braid around my head. Might have to try that one but it sounds hard...

My hair is getting a bit too long for a good few styles actually - french twist is one, it just doesn't look good when I do it.

Good to hear how different people's experiences are :D It's not just me that has trouble with one finicky random hairstyle!

hannabiss
October 9th, 2018, 05:06 PM
I crown braid. I can get off to a good start but my hair line simply does not allow for a crown braid.

Cg
October 9th, 2018, 05:14 PM
A true crown braid is an English braid wrapped around the head. My crown braid rarely looks great but it's useful for travel. You do need at least classic hair for it. Shorter lengths French or Dutch braid around, something I would never have the patience to try.

Even when my hair was shorter, I couldn't get a French twist to stay. By now the attempt results in a huge, hard tube that flops out almost immediately.

Different lengths lend themselves to different styles which is why sometimes a trusted style suddenly fails to work well.

AutobotsAttack
October 9th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Cornrows. Sometimes I feel weird since it’s a cultural thing that almost anyone of my ethnicity knows how to do, and for years I still can’t understand how it works. Oh well.

JennGalt
October 9th, 2018, 08:04 PM
Cornrows. Sometimes I feel weird since it’s a cultural thing that almost anyone of my ethnicity knows how to do, and for years I still can’t understand how it works. Oh well.

I can’t cornrow either, and I look like I should be able to do so. But I don’t think they look good on me, so it’s not an issue.

I can’t do the orchid bun either, which is far more irritating because I like the way it looks on others. I tried it again after seeing this thread, following along with Sarahlabyrinth’s youtube tutorial, and managed to do it but it looked pathetic. But I think with a little more practice and length it will look better. I hope so, anyway.

school of fish
October 9th, 2018, 08:55 PM
So, so many... I'm quite updo-challenged :p

Some failures of distinction (despite repeated attempts):
• French braid - sectioning the cobweb hair leaves me crying by the 3rd pass
• French twist - it either looks drunk or looks like I was drunk when I did my hair
• Bee butt bun - just depressing
• Any kind of split bun - even more depressing
• Fishtail braid - 5 times the work of a regular braid for a result that looks like an incompetant regular braid
• Cinnabun - explodey...yeah, I can't even cinnabun, hehehe

Shorty89
October 9th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Lazy-wrap buns! I just can't get them! I also don't do any style that requires you to weave one strand of hair between two braids (faux five/six/seven strand braids etc). It would cause massive tangles and breakage.

GreySelkie
October 10th, 2018, 12:51 AM
I can't do Gibson tucks or French twists, I think that my hair is just way too thick because it just sticks out in a very sloppy-looking way. I'm quite sad about not being able to do these two styles, they look so effortlessly elegant when they're done well.

I can do a decent-looking crown braid but it usually takes me a few attempts, and even if I do get it more or less right my scalp starts to hurt after wearing it for a few hours I think because my hair is being parted in a direction that it's not used to. I persevere though because I love the look of crown braids, and maybe one day I'll find a way to make them work for me. :)

I can't do French braids at the moment either because of my growing in undercut - the shorter bits of my hair at my nape stick out and it looks a bit ridiculous, a few more months should hopefully remedy that though. I can at least do a Dutch braid if I use a couple of bobby pins, and I can do double Dutch and French braids

zashin66
October 11th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Yes!!!!!!!:slap::hatchet:

The Nautilus bun. My Nemesis.......

Hair tutorials do NOT help.....:justy::cry::wail:

Eastbound&Down
October 11th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Any bun outside of a cinnamon bun until it gets to at least WL if not longer. I have never been able to fishtail braid, it's too complex for me.

zashin66
October 12th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Any bun outside of a cinnamon bun until it gets to at least WL if not longer. I have never been able to fishtail braid, it's too complex for me.

Isn't it funny how we can do styles that one groups thinks 'too intricate' easily and be totally inept at what another group thinks of as basic styling

MoonRabbit
October 12th, 2018, 10:36 AM
The Cinnabun. Oh I can do it, up until the point of getting it to hold with hair sticks then it starts to go down hill fast. My Cinnabuns end up looking like cat bums.

TarsusIV
October 12th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I can never get a French Twist right, and I'm not sure why XD But I guess I'll keep trying!

ravenskey
October 12th, 2018, 01:57 PM
A significant number of buns but that's due to length vs thickness issues.

Gibson tucks and fans are horrible for me, not 100% sure why, and unfortunately, I think they look lovely :(
I have a feeling it's when I have to do the second topsy tail?

With plaits/braids, on the other hand, I haven't yet found a hairdo I couldn't do taken enough time and practice.

mira-chan
October 12th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Any of the knot buns like the nautilus, My taper doesn't allow for a proper hold and balance. Haven't been able to do the lazy wrap for the same reason, though I might be able to do it now but haven't tried.

I can't do a french twist, I get a dinosaur crest instead.

lunasea
October 13th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I can do just about any style imaginable on someone else. Some things are nearly impossible to do on myself because my hair is so thin. Others, are hard to do because I don't have the patience and strength to hold my arms up over my head forever (think corn rows: I can do em on others, just don't have the endurance on me). The one thing I wish I could do on me is one of those low fat buns at the nap of my neck that you can see from the front. I got two problems with that one:
1. thin hair that makes a tiny bun, and
2. a weird uneven hairline in the back that you can't pin anything to.

Sigh

Techmouse
October 13th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Any kind of smooth, neat braid on myself. I can do them on other people, just not on my own hair. They always look like I have horrible braid shred even if I have just finished putting in the elastic.

lunalocks
October 14th, 2018, 04:58 PM
There are a bunch that don't work on me the way they do on others. maybe due to my lack of thickness, or my taper. However, I keep trying because even if it doesn't turn out like the picture, I sometimes end up with something I love that I have never seen before. One of those is my go to currently and I can't even remember what I was trying out, just that this is easy, makes my bun look really big and holds well and is cool to look at. One of these days I'll post it on the bun thread and get name suggestions.

Frankenstein
October 14th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Milkmaid braids that hold well and look decent. Nope!
Crown braid. I attempted it once and I knew then that it was never going to happen.

Rosetta
October 15th, 2018, 02:42 AM
Any "name buns" discussed on this site, basically - i.e. any that have a specific name, like 'nautilus', 'cinnamon', etc. etc ;) (Not that my hair is super-long, but I couldn't do them even when it was longer.) I have a couple of updos that are my staples (held with a beak clip, usually), and frankly they are all I need, too. :)