PDA

View Full Version : No-trimming 2021! First half only!

Pages : [1] 2 3

lapushka
October 8th, 2018, 06:01 AM
For this challenge, you need to trim at the latest January 5th 2021. The trimming period has been extended.
Challenge ends on June 30th 2021.

No other trims are allowed during this half of the year for you to be part of this challenge.

If you want to no-trim for shorter periods of time during the year, then the "no-trimming club" is a better place for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132

Welcome, and "happy growing"!

Here's some easy guidelines for you:

You may maintain bangs.
You may not cut them in.
You may S&D
You may not trim.

If you are wanting to trim, please do so from:
January 1st through to January 10th!

Dark40
October 9th, 2018, 12:43 PM
I'm joining in! I am not planning on doing any trimming this year at all! I know that I can this.

lapushka
October 9th, 2018, 01:18 PM
I'm joining in! I am not planning on doing any trimming this year at all! I know that I can this.

Yay! :) Welcome to the thread.

Dark40
October 9th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Yay! :) Welcome to the thread.

Yay! :) Thank you!

redfrau
June 14th, 2020, 08:48 AM
I’m in! Depending on where I am by end of June 2021, I may continue for the full year. Thank you for setting this up.

Aerya
June 14th, 2020, 08:54 AM
I'm in!

Also I greatly appreciate how the bolded guidelines makes a little poem. :lol:

Bri-Chan
June 14th, 2020, 09:52 AM
I'm in too! I will probably reach my next milestones in spring.

Bat
June 14th, 2020, 10:30 AM
I might join this too if second half 2020 works for me

meepster
June 14th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Joining in. No trims until the end of 2021, at which point I should have APL hair or so.

lapushka
June 14th, 2020, 04:51 PM
I'm in!

Also I greatly appreciate how the bolded guidelines makes a little poem. :lol:

;) You're welcome. Yeah... that happened. LOL!

Lady_Eowyn
June 15th, 2020, 02:04 AM
I am in! want to complete the No-trimming in 2020, so a planned trim in the first 5 days of January will work just fine for me. So excited, if I can reach waist in 2021.

Stray_mind
June 15th, 2020, 05:33 AM
Wrong thread lol

patchoulilove
June 15th, 2020, 05:42 PM
I'm in.
:blossom: patchoulilove

Ylva
June 16th, 2020, 08:12 AM
I'll be joining, too. :)

I don't yet know what my end goal for this challenge will be. It'll be determined by how much I end up cutting at the end of this year, so I have time to ponder on that, still.

0xalis
June 16th, 2020, 05:05 PM
I'm definitely in. I'll probably be joining the No-trim 2021 thread too, honestly.
I really can't see myself getting a trim for a really long time? I don't see why I should when I can just S&D obsessively! :scissors:
I probably won't bother with a "real trim" until my hemline starts tapering really bad... unless I manage to damage it enough to warrant more than a long S&D sesh.

LittleHealthy
June 16th, 2020, 09:19 PM
Count me in.
I reckon I'll go a full year again.
Im going strong for this year, so I'll possibly trim at the end of 2020 then keep going, or just keep going with no trim!
These challenges are SO helpful to me. I failed miserably in 2019 though X-D

Onthepath
June 18th, 2020, 10:59 AM
I'm in. Will trim between January 1st and 5th. Have reached my initial goal of WL and want to go on to tailbone. Thanks!

Sparkles122
June 18th, 2020, 08:55 PM
I haven’t had a trim at all since November of 2018. I was thinking of trimming after the end of the first half of the 2020 challenge. Now that we are so close im having second thoughts. I think I might just jump right into the second half and I thiiink I might just go right into the no trimming 2021 from there. Ill re-evaluate after the second half of 2020 of course. Im aiming for terminal.

Bat
June 19th, 2020, 11:30 AM
I was going to do first half only but I've decided to join the full 2021 challenge if that's still a thing

Eve-Jade-Day
September 22nd, 2020, 11:02 AM
Count me in!

My BF and I just cut off around 7 cm off the bottom layer of my hair cause I couldn't stand the difference to the top layer (10 cm)...

I got rid of most of the length on the bottom, my BF evened the back out for me and I'm sitting solidly at collarbone now. There is a 3 cm difference between the layers, looks pretty good for a home cut.

I'm super glad I got rid of so much because that was also where my hair was jet black as a result of all my color experiments this year. The rest is a weird brown/red colour. You can see it in the pics I posted the other day.

Switching to herbal dyes to make my hair dark all over and give it a nice sheen.

I'm not trimming until June 2021 and will be conditioning the f outta my hair because my canopy (is that what you call the top layer of hair) is mad at me.....

I swear I'm gonna get to BSL in 2021!

Plus I'll have an advantage of +3 cm by the official start date of the challenge haha.

Happy growing to everyone!

SelenVinland
September 22nd, 2020, 11:56 AM
I'm in! I probably won't trim during 2021 at all, but to set myself up for success I'll do the 6-month challenge in case I end up wanting to microtrim at some point ;)

tekla
September 23rd, 2020, 03:22 PM
I'm in! I'll try not to trim this year, have a small trim in the first days of January and then stay away from scissors and salons. Like SelenVinland said, it's more comfortable to commit to a 6 month challenge but hopefully I can do the whole year. We'll see.

ioanaxena
September 25th, 2020, 10:30 AM
I may join this challenge, too. I've been really thorough with deep conditioning my hair for the past months and it doesn't look or feel damaged anymore (though I know it's not healthy, but it seems like it is). If my hair stays this way, then I'll just trim 1 inch or so in the first week of January 2021 and join the rest of you :).

Amaya
September 27th, 2020, 05:40 PM
I'd love to join this challenge! I'm struggling with the 2020 challenge. My hair is at the unattractive grown out pixie/mullet/bob stage and I'm feeling the pressure to have a cut! I know if I stick with the challenge it will grow out nicely, though.

lapushka
September 28th, 2020, 03:32 PM
I'd love to join this challenge! I'm struggling with the 2020 challenge. My hair is at the unattractive grown out pixie/mullet/bob stage and I'm feeling the pressure to have a cut! I know if I stick with the challenge it will grow out nicely, though.

Oh... gosh... been there, a couple times. I had both. There was a time I did not trim and it got longer much faster (albeit layered, but still). I also trimmed back to bobs. It's what you prefer. Bobs are great to grow out, though. :) Can't go wrong with whatever you decide! :thumbsup:

Amaya
October 4th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Oh... gosh... been there, a couple times. I had both. There was a time I did not trim and it got longer much faster (albeit layered, but still). I also trimmed back to bobs. It's what you prefer. Bobs are great to grow out, though. :) Can't go wrong with whatever you decide! :thumbsup:

Thank-you! Getting longer faster sounds good. I'm still hanging in. I just need to get through the next 4 'ugly duckling' months!

browntatis
October 4th, 2020, 09:58 PM
Im in! Im planning on trimming a tiny bit on January 1st to start fresh the new year and the this challenge ^-^

aerolith
October 5th, 2020, 06:56 AM
I think I'm also going to brave the shagginess and wait it out. I would like to eventually trim all my layers to short bob-length once they grow out, but I've got plenty of time for that, considering I'm starting with such a short pixie-length crop.

Vacurlylady
October 5th, 2020, 09:44 AM
I’m definitely in! I’m not sure whether I will be trimming at the beginning of the year or not. These six month challenges allow some breathing room if we start feeling the need for a trim.

I love the length I have gotten through these challenges. I would have NEVER gotten to where I am if it weren’t for them. I’m past BSL and slowly heading to waist. 🤗

Bat
October 5th, 2020, 06:54 PM
I wasn't going to do this since I failed this years 6 months, but I'm getting most of my damage cut off today which removes basically all my progress since joining LHC will be sad but good to get rid of most of my bleached ends, I plan not to trim, until Halloween 2021 but will if I need to

Ylva
October 6th, 2020, 03:40 AM
Sounds like a plan, Bat. If it makes you feel any better, I'm only barely longer now (by like 2 cm) than I was when I joined - and that was 2.5 years ago! But it's all about the journey! :)

Bat
October 6th, 2020, 03:43 AM
Sounds like a plan, Bat. If it makes you feel any better, I'm only barely longer now (by like 2 cm) than I was when I joined - and that was 2.5 years ago! But it's all about the journey! :) very true! I'm at a good stage now to leave it alone for a while

knobbly
October 9th, 2020, 08:13 PM
My spouse just trimmed off a bit of the point of my V hemline, so I think I’ll be good for awhile just doing S&D.

I’m committing just to the first half of 2021 because I’m having a baby in March and I’m sure I’ll need to reassess once my postpartum shed happens. I honestly don’t know how long my shed with my first child lasted, but I do have pics of the awful bald patches I had. Oh well, just part of the deal. I’ll just be bunning it up out of the way anyway.

baanoo
October 17th, 2020, 10:13 AM
I had originally planned on doing the yearlong no-trimming 2021, but now that it's been nearly 9 months since my last trim and I don't think I can make it til the new year without losing my mind I've decided it's more prudent to commit to only the first half! If all goes well, maybe I'll keep going on the second without a cut in the middle.

Monthly length shots (though no measuring; I'm terrible at measuring) keep me motivated and my care routine is so much better than before, I'm sure I'll be at a point to do a yearlong challenge soon!

hannabiss
October 17th, 2020, 01:40 PM
I'm definitely in. Can't wait. I went from shoulder to almost BSL this year. I'm probably hopin for too much (per usual) but I think I can make it to waist by Christmas 2021 if I only trim up twice.

Bat
November 1st, 2020, 05:11 PM
Signing up officially, I'm also trying the whole year but it doesn't say I can't sign up with both!

baanoo
November 1st, 2020, 05:20 PM
Signing up officially, I'm also trying the whole year but it doesn't say I can't sign up with both!

(I did this, too) ;)

Bat
November 1st, 2020, 05:22 PM
(I did this, too) ;)

Good luck to both of us :3

truepeacenik
November 1st, 2020, 05:29 PM
I’m in.
I’m back in the classic range, and six months of don’t touch will serve me well.

Hasse
November 2nd, 2020, 12:00 AM
Since I cut off my last dyed bits this year I'm left with fresh healthy ends that don't require trimming as often as the old ends. I'll just do a microtrim at the end of 2020 and then onwards to BSL!

DropStitches
November 2nd, 2020, 09:12 AM
I'm in! I might do the full year, but I'll see how I get on with the first half. If I could get to APL by the end of 2021 I'd be delighted, but that's probably wildly optimistic!

cat11
November 2nd, 2020, 10:50 AM
I'm going to do a tiny dusting/microtrim at the end of the year and will join this thread! Depending on how my ends are, Ill go the second half of the year too. But its easier to commit to 6 months!! I want to get to MTL quickly.

Bat
November 2nd, 2020, 02:57 PM
I'm in! I might do the full year, but I'll see how I get on with the first half. If I could get to APL by the end of 2021 I'd be delighted, but that's probably wildly optimistic!

you could do!, I'm aiming for that too apl by the end of december next year

cestlavie
November 4th, 2020, 05:31 AM
I'm in. I don't like my ends right now and I want to trim them sooo bad. However they are not splitting but just, sparse/thinnish looking which I personally don't prefer. I hope I can make until the end of 2020! Just keeping it in a bun and forget about it until I can start 2021 all fresh for this challenge :p

paulownia
November 4th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Why not;) it worked last year.
A trim in the end of December as planned and then I go for it again. Maybe I will see APL by the end of the challenge:D

lapis_lazuli
November 12th, 2020, 05:44 PM
I've never done one of these challenges...but I think I'm in this one. It's been a while since I just let my hair grow, so I'd like to try 6 months without trims to see what happens. I don't think I can last a whole year, but if this goes well...who knows! I plan to do my last cut right before the deadline.
Hi everyone here! :waving:

Bat
November 18th, 2020, 01:37 AM
Happy growing! I don't know if I'll join this as planned I just really struggling dealing with the mas of layers I have, guess we will see how I feel before the challenge starts,2022 might be a better option

Starbunny
November 18th, 2020, 04:31 AM
I'm in! June 30th is my birthday, so this makes a nice goal for me. I'm still at pixie length at the moment. No idea where I'll be by June. My last hair cut was in late August 2020. No trims since.

lapushka
November 18th, 2020, 11:07 AM
I've never done one of these challenges...but I think I'm in this one. It's been a while since I just let my hair grow, so I'd like to try 6 months without trims to see what happens. I don't think I can last a whole year, but if this goes well...who knows! I plan to do my last cut right before the deadline.
Hi everyone here! :waving:

Great idea! I might attempt FTL once again, some time, but... not right at this time, or next year, I don't think. But who knows.

It's fun. I did these challenges while growing out my hair, and I had so much fun! :cheer:

lapushka
November 18th, 2020, 11:09 AM
I'm in! June 30th is my birthday, so this makes a nice goal for me. I'm still at pixie length at the moment. No idea where I'll be by June. My last hair cut was in late August 2020. No trims since.

That's quite a while already. 3 months; not bad for growing out a pixie. Those awkward stages can be awful to go through! Hang in there! :D

tähkäpää
November 30th, 2020, 04:39 PM
I think I'll give this a shot! I got here from the full year thread, and like others here have said, if this goes great I might do full year, but I like to keep my options open I guess. :D

ZoeZ
December 1st, 2020, 01:20 PM
I'll come in on this one! I didn't succeed in the last half of 2020, but I've just discovered a lovely hair butter that has really helped my ends lose that scratchy feeling. So I think I'll make it into the first half at least, and I'm going to join the 2021 no trim challenge as well... I should complete at least one of these! :)

browntatis
December 1st, 2020, 06:49 PM
Im already in and I can't wait to see how long my hair will grow, Im planning on trimming January 1st or sometime this month. Hopefully I can make it to waist by June!

Shorty89
December 2nd, 2020, 11:53 AM
I think I actually might try this in 2021. My ends are in decent shape now so I shouldn't need to trim.

shutterpillar
December 2nd, 2020, 03:45 PM
Oh I am ready for this! I'm in! Hoping to finally make it to collarbone length in this time! I have 1/2 inch of side shave and the rest is chin length hair that are both growing out, so it should be interesting. LOL

illicitlizard
December 2nd, 2020, 06:38 PM
I'm absolutely in for this! I'll be trimming in the new year then jumping into this one! Gotta get to waist length next year :o

Bat
December 3rd, 2020, 03:08 AM
Oh I am ready for this! I'm in! Hoping to finally make it to collarbone length in this time! I have 1/2 inch of side shave and the rest is chin length hair that are both growing out, so it should be interesting. LOL

You and I are at a similar stage I'm also growing out a side shave and have almost chin length hair :3 (my avatar photo is a face app edited photo to hopefully motivate me to grow long)

Zesty
December 3rd, 2020, 01:31 PM
I join and drop out every year now it feels like. :lol: I remember the days when I could go two years between trims without even thinking about it...

HOWEVER now that 2021 is nigh I am taking stock of what I would like to accomplish (hair-related and otherwise) next year and I would really like to reach knee length. I am about 4 inches shy, which is very close to what I am getting in a year now. In 2020 I've only gotten about two inches because of unplanned trims and I would like to avoid that happening again. It'll be an actual challenge to even do the first half, that's for sure.

I don't know whether I'll stay at knee length or not but I want to at least be able to say I got there. LHC-itis is catching, y'all. So tentatively joining, planning a micro trim around New Year's and then try to tough it out with S&D and make that final push.

shutterpillar
December 3rd, 2020, 01:33 PM
You and I are at a similar stage I'm also growing out a side shave and have almost chin length hair :3 (my avatar photo is a face app edited photo to hopefully motivate me to grow long)

Yeeee! I've got a growing buddy! We're around the same age too. I'm 34. 8) How long had you had your side shave? I cut mine in August and by end of October I decided it was not for me. lol. I wish I hadn't done my last buzz on it in mid-november. It would be nearly 2 inches long now if I just left it alone.

Vacurlylady
December 3rd, 2020, 03:18 PM

I saw your photo and thought, my goodness Bat’s hair sure has grown! 🤣🤣 Keep growing and it will get there and will look nice!

wo
December 5th, 2020, 07:31 AM
I need to do this. I learned how to trim my own hair this year, and I did it a lot in an effort to perfect my method. I didn't trim much length overall, but still it was a lot of trimming, and I'm definitely good to go for at least as long as this challenge. The scary thing about cutting your own hair is that nothing is stopping you at any time. 👀

Ylva
December 5th, 2020, 12:20 PM
The scary thing about cutting your own hair is that nothing is stopping you at any time. ��

This is one big reason I haven't taught myself that ability. I could never trust myself with the confidence to cut my own hair. :D

---
Yep, it does look like I will definitely be participating in this one and then skipping the latter half as I'll be more or less maintaining later in the year.

Bat
December 6th, 2020, 12:57 AM
Yeeee! I've got a growing buddy! We're around the same age too. I'm 34. 8) How long had you had your side shave? I cut mine in August and by end of October I decided it was not for me. lol. I wish I hadn't done my last buzz on it in mid-november. It would be nearly 2 inches long now if I just left it alone.
My last skin shave was july 8th I have been tempted to cut it I. But I'll stick it out! And whee hair growing twins

Bat
December 6th, 2020, 01:03 AM
I saw your photo and thought, my goodness Bat’s hair sure has grown! 🤣🤣 Keep growing and it will get there and will look nice!

Lmao I wish! I feel it's not even growing lately I know it is but doesn't look like it

tseh
December 8th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Count me in! I had last trim few weeks ago. My plan is to keep hair up most of the time; to protect the ends and resist the urge to trim. After this challenge I will decide if I trim or go a full year without trimming (how wispy my ends will be after this)
Good luck, everyone :flower:

FaeBroom
December 8th, 2020, 08:48 PM
I'd like to join. I plan to henna right after Christmas and possibly do a little dusting, so leaving it alone for half of next year sounds like it'll do me some good.

pisinoe
December 9th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Wondering if I wanna participate here. Not sure if I’m ready to trim yet

momof3mary
December 12th, 2020, 03:00 PM
I'm in on this for sure.

Stray_mind
December 14th, 2020, 01:03 AM
Hey, i just got a small trim so i think i am ready for this challenge.

WyntreBlossom
December 14th, 2020, 06:16 AM
Joining this and I hope everyone will hold me to it. I finally cracked and trimmed this year after 3 years no trims. Now I hate it and keep taking off small pieces (centimeters) because it's uneven and I need to STOP.

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2020, 08:49 AM
I think....I might be in. I haven’t cut/trimmed my hair since november 2018, over 2 years. I search and destroy, so ends aren’t bad. I do get the urges to trim and then i’m like oh i’ll just do it tomorrow and then the urge passes.

ioanaxena
December 15th, 2020, 02:20 AM
I'm seriously thinking about ditching my no-trim plan and do this instead... I'll think about it for the next two weeks.

lapushka
December 15th, 2020, 03:37 AM
Joining this and I hope everyone will hold me to it. I finally cracked and trimmed this year after 3 years no trims. Now I hate it and keep taking off small pieces (centimeters) because it's uneven and I need to STOP.

It's not uneven. We did try and tell you that, that it was perfect. So just... stop! :lol:
I know it's tempting, but you're probably just making it worse!

animetor7
December 15th, 2020, 11:42 AM
I'm in! I've already kind of been doing this except for "baby" trims of less than a 1/4" when the ends are too snaggy. But I will endeavor to keep it to S&D for 2021. I'm curious to see how well my hair does on this now. This is what I used to do when my hair was its natural color. But now I'm a dyed redhead. Half professionally done and half done by me via bleaching my roots (I know, bad longhair) and then using henna or vegetable dye on them. My hair is pretty sturdy, so I don't think this is terribly damaging to it. Especially because the rest of my routine is pretty long hair friendly, once weekly washing, oiling, protective hairstyles, no heat, etc. anyway I'm rambling, so I'm in and we'll see how this goes. :)

RebekahE
December 15th, 2020, 01:06 PM
I'm in! I last trimmed my hair in May/June 2020. I honestly don't remember which. The ends still look good and aren't tapering, so I think I'll be fine to go a whole year between trims.

1990bzb
December 15th, 2020, 02:13 PM
My last cut was on the 10th of December so I am good to go. It's just a question of NOT doing something, after all.

I've been good about taking care of my hair.

Today after LOC method (which my hair does very well with), I used bobby pins to get it all out of the way. Trying to keep it neat, as most of it is only about 3 inches long and very curly.

georgia_peach
December 16th, 2020, 09:54 AM
I'm in! I did a small trim in November, and I'm hoping to get to waist length by July. These challenges are great for helping me reach length goals. :cheer:

Potauvert
December 16th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Toc toc ! I'm in after a massive reflection. I have trimmed so much in oktober and 1 last centimer the 12th november so I expected to keep this challenge for the first half of 2021 :)

Keep doing protective hairstyle and S&D :joy:

lapushka
December 19th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Awesome! :cheer:

Welcome everyone!!!

MusicalSpoons
December 19th, 2020, 05:00 PM
Today restrictions were confirmed that I won't be seeing my sister for a turn-of-the-year trim, so I may not make the whole of 2021 as well without a trim. I doubt I'll *want* to trim for the foreseeable future but we're going on holiday in August which would be perfect timing if I do decide to trim. I'll see. I might get to March and really want my ends gone for some reason, but if that happens then I'll only have failed half a year, not a whole. I'm so undecided! So yeah, joining here because not trimming is pretty much my default, and really the only way I'll drop out is if I actually make a decision within the next six months :rollin:

ReadingRenee
December 19th, 2020, 05:32 PM
Its kind of crazy but it seems the only time I can avoid cutting my hair is when I join a no trim challenge. I can't grow my hair past a certain point without trims or micro trims BUT right now its so short, I think I can grow to APL without trims and I need to join a challenge to make that happen. It's a mental thing I guess.. so I am hoping to hit shoulder around February, and APL at the end of the 20201. Therefore, I am joining this challenge and the full year challenge.

Glad to be here!

Star_fish
December 20th, 2020, 12:24 AM
I’m in! :D

Lesley8
December 20th, 2020, 01:15 AM
I'm joining in.

pisinoe
December 20th, 2020, 08:17 AM
I really need to join this so I can make it to TBL in peace. And for once, I need to follow the guidelines properly and strictly so I can stick to it!! And trim my hair myself in the given timestamp. Then I’m sure I’ll finally hit TBL!

lapushka
December 20th, 2020, 05:17 PM
I really need to join this so I can make it to TBL in peace. And for once, I need to follow the guidelines properly and strictly so I can stick to it!! And trim my hair myself in the given timestamp. Then I’m sure I’ll finally hit TBL!

Well, you know, the "rules"/guidelines aren't there to pester you, or anyone. It's so we all can start from basically the same spot. Possibly compare growth, etc.

Thanks to everyone here for joining in! :D

lapis_lazuli
December 20th, 2020, 05:53 PM
I'm waiting until the deadline to do my last trim...that week I have my grad photos scheduled, so I would like fresh ends for the occasion.

Snowbelles
December 20th, 2020, 06:47 PM
I’m in. Pretty new here, but learning a lot. My hair is currently at waist and I would like to get to tailbone by the end of 2021.

knobbly
December 20th, 2020, 07:06 PM
I’m in. Pretty new here, but learning a lot. My hair is currently at waist and I would like to get to tailbone by the end of 2021.

Welcome! I’m on the waist to tailbone journey as well. Just to keep expectations realistic, you should know that I’m quite short and from waist to tailbone will take about two years, with only one real trim in the mix.

Nox_Inber
December 21st, 2020, 04:44 PM
Count me in! I haven't trimmed my hair in months and I feel great. Every time in the past I grew it out long I didn't trim for years on end. I think it's time I go back to that and not worry about breaking out the scissors unless it's S&D :)

Carol92
December 21st, 2020, 08:42 PM
Yay, I'm in!

pisinoe
December 22nd, 2020, 02:37 AM
Well, you know, the "rules"/guidelines aren't there to pester you, or anyone. It's so we all can start from basically the same spot. Possibly compare growth, etc.

Thanks to everyone here for joining in! :D

Oh yeah I know! But I’m someone that if I can go around the rules I *will* and that doesn’t help me much haha. It’s the first year I actually managed to grow my hair because I stuck to two cuts max. I need to have this strength again! I got my hair trimmed yesterday (like, 0.5cm or less) so I’m ready till summer solstice now!

xanthochromia
December 22nd, 2020, 06:30 AM
I will be joining in too! I'm about an inch below the point of my chin now and my hair seems to grow about 0.6 inches per month. As someone who always envied wavy and curly hair, I am going to try to be grateful for what I do have and the associated fact that the 0.6" contributes fully to additional length. My collarbones are ~3-3.5" away, so I'm hoping to get there by the end of this challenge! My hair is already the longest it has been since I was 15 years old, so I'm learning and re-learning things all of the time (conditioner? brushing? who knew!). I'm most looking forward to being able to catch the little nape-of-the-neck hairs into my ponytail so they stop getting so sweaty with exercise.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2020, 10:22 AM
Oh yeah I know! But I’m someone that if I can go around the rules I *will* and that doesn’t help me much haha. It’s the first year I actually managed to grow my hair because I stuck to two cuts max. I need to have this strength again! I got my hair trimmed yesterday (like, 0.5cm or less) so I’m ready till summer solstice now!

Oh you are a naughty one! :p ;) :lol:

Best of luck to you, though! Hope you get to your goal length... however you do it!!!

Belgrade Beauty
December 22nd, 2020, 04:57 PM
I'm in as well. Maybe this is more realistic for me, than the whole 2021 :)
will this be the year I reach tailbone...Hmm. 18cm to 100cm which is somewhere between tailbone and classic on me. BCL sounds more realistic tbh...Only if I don't trim it...I'm now on 82cm.

JasminxCat
December 22nd, 2020, 05:02 PM
I'm in. My last trim was on Dec 1st. After 5 months it always gets more difficult to deal with my hair. I will learn to S&D next time my ends need a clean up and that will be here pretty soon, just need to find me some good shears

cat11
December 28th, 2020, 01:28 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I need a trim about every 6 months to prevent my ends getting catchy so this challenge is perfect for me. I Just need to get a new pair of shears to do my trim before I start! It will be very minimal, probably 1/4 of an inch.

pisinoe
December 28th, 2020, 03:35 PM
I'm in as well. Maybe this is more realistic for me, than the whole 2021 :)
will this be the year I reach tailbone...Hmm. 18cm to 100cm which is somewhere between tailbone and classic on me. BCL sounds more realistic tbh...Only if I don't trim it...I'm now on 82cm.

Your hair is 4cm longer than mine! I thought we were around the same height (I'm 164cm) and BCL is the same as TBL on me, and I have 12cm to go until TBL!

shelomit
December 29th, 2020, 02:06 AM
I guess I will be doing this as I don't think I need a trim this winter : )

Potauvert
December 29th, 2020, 03:41 AM
My last trim was the 23th december. Hope it will be more easy to stay 6 month without another. I didn't mesured my hair after the trim so surprise :)

AmyBee
December 29th, 2020, 11:50 AM
Hi all
I'm going to join in, and this will be my first challenge on lhc!!
I last had a trim along with a salon olaplex treatment at the end of August. Since starting my hair journey a few weeks before that I have done everything possible to baby my bleach and heat fried ends, and I think they seem much better than they were. As my hair is still probably bleached around halfway up my length I'm going by the logic that wherever I trim it to it is going to start splits from there, so I might as well stick it out until I'm going to be less heartbroken by losing a bit of length. Don't know if that's any kind of science, but here goes nothing! I look forward to seeing how everyone's hair progresses.
:)

Finda
December 29th, 2020, 03:03 PM
I'm joining as well. My last trim was more than a year ago, so 'll keep a close eye on my ends. If they hold up I might go even longer ;)

Bat
December 29th, 2020, 04:08 PM
I'm here too. Aiming for the whole year but first goal is 6 months

Laurel Rose
December 29th, 2020, 07:15 PM
I'm in! My main goal is to have my ~chin length bangs securely tuck into my high bun when July rolls around. I'm trying for the whole year but I usually start eyeing the shears around the solstice so I'll keep my options open. The bulk of my hair should be a little past hip at the end of this, with the shortest pieces around CBL.

Zesty
December 31st, 2020, 05:57 PM
I am ready for this challenge! I just did a micro trim of a quarter inch or so and took my "before" picture (because we don't have real NYE plans haha). I'm at 48" and hope to get to 50" by July, in my quest for knee by the end of 2021!

https://i.imgur.com/xQSHV9Il.jpg

I hope others will post a "before" as well. :)

Bat
December 31st, 2020, 09:19 PM
I posted my before in the whole 2021 challenge C:

aralee
December 31st, 2020, 11:02 PM
Joining in! I plan on trimming my hair this week and go for a year of no-trim. Wish my ends will stay healthy until the next year.

Stray_mind
January 1st, 2021, 12:55 AM
Happy New year, everyone. Here is my starting pic. Hopefully i reach hip this year.
https://i.imgur.com/byS5M50.jpg

lapis_lazuli
January 1st, 2021, 01:17 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43870&d=1609486697

This is where I'm starting. I decided against trimming before the deadline since I'm ok with my hemline for now. My hair doesn't grow that fast but I'm hoping to make some progress in the calf abyss :rolleyes:

Now I'm getting nervous about not being able to trim for 6 months :eek:

stardust lady
January 1st, 2021, 03:59 AM
Count me in too! Starting at chin length. Hoping I'll be at shoulder or longer by the end of the 6 months... :pray:

ioanaxena
January 1st, 2021, 05:01 AM
I'm also in!

https://i.imgur.com/PgWWloF.jpg

Starting at 45 cm / 17.7 inches.

Bat
January 1st, 2021, 05:56 AM
Count me in too! Starting at chin length. Hoping I'll be at shoulder or longer by the end of the 6 months... :pray:

You should do! I was chin in July and got to almost shoulder by early September

Bat
January 1st, 2021, 05:58 AM
I may as well post my starting point here too

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/792866994486902844/IMG_20201228_072953.jpg

emmeline93
January 1st, 2021, 08:04 AM
I'm in! I will upload pictures when the system allows me to :)

NicoleLionne
January 1st, 2021, 10:20 AM
I'm in! Trimmed my hair today, here's my starting pic:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43872&d=1609516697

My hemline is a lot more even than it looks in the photo, there are just always a few layers did want to jump around:rolleyes:.

pisinoe
January 1st, 2021, 11:09 AM
Ignore that it’s brushed out from the lagoon... Not washing today, but I want to track the first of every month.

https://i.imgur.com/fndsOBn_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Starting point: hip
End goal: tailbone

emmeline93
January 1st, 2021, 12:24 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QdfwbRtwMqtZnV8b6

Testing if it works :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QdfwbRtwMqtZnV8b6

cestlavie
January 1st, 2021, 01:51 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/9DGZZ78F/IMG-20210101-112441-120.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9DGZZ78F)

My starting picture, a few cm past waist. Good luck everyone!

ReadingRenee
January 1st, 2021, 02:44 PM
Oh my goodness! So much pretty hair in this thread. Can't wait to see everyone's progress!

I am posting my beginning picture as well. Can't wait to see what it looks like by July! I am not trimming, as the only reason to trim would be to make things a bit more even... and no one will be able to tell once my hair gets longer( So I keep telling myself. :D ) Current hair length 18.5 inches

https://i.imgur.com/HrG6UR2.jpg?1

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 05:52 PM
Welcome, for real (as it's January) now, everybody. :D :cheer:

pisinoe
January 1st, 2021, 06:52 PM
Welcome, for real (as it's January) now, everybody. :D :cheer:

Will you continue maintaining at classic? I wonder if I’ll ever reach that kind of hair contentment and satisfaction as you have!

constancev18
January 1st, 2021, 07:03 PM
I'm in. My hair's uneven but rather than cutting I'll wait (and hope) that some will even out in 6mos and then I'll trim.

illicitlizard
January 1st, 2021, 08:04 PM
Ah gorgeous starting pictures everyone! Good luck! Hope to add my own after my trim today :o

paulownia
January 1st, 2021, 11:04 PM
My starting picture for this challenge. Had a trim on Sunday.
Hoping to get to APL this year;)
https://i.postimg.cc/pTBJJ0z1/20201227-141251.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

stardust lady
January 2nd, 2021, 12:44 AM
Here's my starting length, taken today: http://imgur.com/a/A5MBhGO

illicitlizard
January 2nd, 2021, 12:44 AM
Before and after a very modest trim, hopefully it grows lots in the next 6 months!
https://i.imgur.com/8UeeW82l.jpg

Finda
January 2nd, 2021, 09:41 AM
I feel a bit self-conscious with all the great hemlines :couch:
I'll be looking out for the area around the line and see wether the full part grows down. My hand is on the front hipbone.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43892&d=1609605031

Star_fish
January 2nd, 2021, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone, looking forward to seeing lots of growth from everyone in this challenge. Here’s my starting photo:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43893&d=1609607082

lapushka
January 2nd, 2021, 10:32 AM
Will you continue maintaining at classic? I wonder if I’ll ever reach that kind of hair contentment and satisfaction as you have!

I love maintaining classic length, now that I've found a good trimming schedule (that took a while and a cut back to hip that set me back some years). It's the perfect length for me. I can do comfortable basic buns at that length, and that's all I need. And when it's down it's not too too bad (not in my way too much). And the layers help hugely (for me).

I'm very happy with it. :)

You can't but find out. And should you at one point get bored/tired of your length, it *may* mean you have reached that endpoint of comfort. Do not go for a big chop then, but trim back a little bit and see how you go. Just a little friendly advice, which I know you didn't ask for, but still. ;) :D

Bat
January 2nd, 2021, 06:11 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/9DGZZ78F/IMG-20210101-112441-120.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9DGZZ78F)

My starting picture, a few cm past waist. Good luck everyone!

Looks like you are at hip to me!

cestlavie
January 2nd, 2021, 06:25 PM
Looks like you are at hip to me!

I know right! Hip is just below the loop (where a belt would be) on my trousers. I think hip will take me 3-6 months.

Ylva
January 2nd, 2021, 07:12 PM
Here's my starting picture from Jan 2. Hoping to see classic by the end of this challenge.

https://i.ibb.co/GnshWFJ/hiukset020121.jpg

Hailwidis
January 3rd, 2021, 11:40 AM
I'm in! Did a 5cm trim today to take the worst of last year's taper off, and I'll see in June if I want to do a half-year or a full year without trims. Will send in a starting point picture after my next wash, I think.

SelenVinland
January 3rd, 2021, 01:50 PM
Starting pic!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43935&d=1609706568

sky-
January 3rd, 2021, 05:16 PM
I'm very excited for this! I trimmed twice in 2020 and before that I hadn't trimmed since 2017, so I'm expecting good results.

Simpscone
January 4th, 2021, 04:41 AM
I'm in! My last trim was my first ever self-trim in September.
Starting at 29" stretched, between BSL and Waist length.

Starting picture from the 1st of January. My hair isn't looking it's best here as it's 3rd day hair with no styling at all, but hey-ho!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43937&d=1609760030

Bat
January 4th, 2021, 08:07 AM
I'm in! My last trim was my first ever self-trim in September.
Starting at 29" stretched, between BSL and Waist length.

Starting picture from the 1st of January. My hair isn't looking it's best here as it's 3rd day hair with no styling at all, but hey-ho!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43937&d=1609760030

I love that its still turquoise! I too still have mine :love:

Shorty89
January 4th, 2021, 05:56 PM
Why is it that now that the challenge has started, I'm finding more splits. :rolleyes: I blame the super dry weather.

lapushka
January 5th, 2021, 05:59 AM
Just a friendly nudge that the last day to trim for this half year challenge is January 10, that is a Sunday, this year.

FaeBroom
January 5th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Posting my starting point with my roots and length. I wound up not trimming because my ends aren't in bad shape considering the bleach underneath the semi-permanent dye. Also, my hair isn't nearly as red as in the photos. Also, pardon the grease. :whistle:

https://i.imgur.com/zsicFRK.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/chVkkv2.jpg?1

Simpscone
January 5th, 2021, 07:49 AM
I love that its still turquoise! I too still have mine :love:

I've actually been thinking about getting rid of it but not sure yet! I love it but I'm missing my previous colour recently, eek!

emmeline93
January 5th, 2021, 07:53 AM
I decided I will not trim my hair before the start of this challenge. I don't really have an option to go to the hairdresser anyway (pandemic restriction) and I am really bad at cutting my own hair :D I really really dislike how my hair is doing. The damage is obvious (3x bleach, 5+ whole length hair colour, bleach baths, colour removers, dish soap, vitamin c..). Last time I coloured my hair has been june 2019 and my hair grows really slowly, so currently I have close to 20cm (8") of natural hair. I do weekly hair masks and it is improving but still; my hair is breaking off like there's no tomorrow.

I'm hoping I will see any growth despite the damaged ends.

https://i.postimg.cc/D0FjQVhy/136061674-158850739010315-3009436202966366136-n.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

AmyBee
January 5th, 2021, 10:02 AM
I'm in a very similar position Emmeline with bleach/dye/heat damaged ends. It has been getting longer since I started treating it better, but I did think today I'll have to be careful not to be too disheartened if the ends do start to snap again :(

Bat
January 5th, 2021, 12:13 PM
I've actually been thinking about getting rid of it but not sure yet! I love it but I'm missing my previous colour recently, eek!

Oooff, what colour was that again? I can relate though I'm getting bored of black, trying not to change it, but up hill battles

Bat
January 5th, 2021, 12:17 PM
I decided I will not trim my hair before the start of this challenge. I don't really have an option to go to the hairdresser anyway (pandemic restriction) and I am really bad at cutting my own hair :D I really really dislike how my hair is doing. The damage is obvious (3x bleach, 5+ whole length hair colour, bleach baths, colour removers, dish soap, vitamin c..). Last time I coloured my hair has been june 2019 and my hair grows really slowly, so currently I have close to 20cm (8") of natural hair. I do weekly hair masks and it is improving but still; my hair is breaking off like there's no tomorrow.

I'm hoping I will see any growth despite the damaged ends.

https://i.postimg.cc/D0FjQVhy/136061674-158850739010315-3009436202966366136-n.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

To me that looks pretty good for that amount of hair abuse!

Simpscone
January 6th, 2021, 02:36 AM
Oooff, what colour was that again? I can relate though I'm getting bored of black, trying not to change it, but up hill battles

I was growing out my natural light brown and had the front section white-blonde. I really loved it that colour and I'm very tempted to go back to growing out my natural because it was easy and the blonde in the front kept it interesting :lol:

I do love the blue but I'm conscious of the damage, I haven't had any snapping/breakage but my hair does seem drier and more prone to tangles so :shrug:

emmeline93
January 6th, 2021, 04:34 AM
I know, right. Growing out coloured hair is disheartening. You want it longer but you have to cut it and when you cut it, it looks even worse sometimes. Especially if you have poofy frizzy hair. Short hair doesn't look good unless you heat style it in that case. I hope we both get some growth we will be proud of :) And I wish you as few bad hair days as possible.

emmeline93
January 6th, 2021, 04:35 AM
I'm in a very similar position Emmeline with bleach/dye/heat damaged ends. It has been getting longer since I started treating it better, but I did think today I'll have to be careful not to be too disheartened if the ends do start to snap again :(

I'm beginner in this forum. I forgot to quote you AmyBee :) Anyways, happy growing

emmeline93
January 6th, 2021, 04:37 AM
To me that looks pretty good for that amount of hair abuse!

Thank you Bat :) It's just poor lighting + lots of oil and hair masks. If I shampoo it only it feels like hay :D

Bat
January 6th, 2021, 05:04 AM
Thank you Bat :) It's just poor lighting + lots of oil and hair masks. If I shampoo it only it feels like hay :D

I Know that straw feeling! My side bit always feels like that, I had S and D most of the ends on that section today it's so fried I refuse to call it a trim lol

I was growing out my natural light brown and had the front section white-blonde. I really loved it that colour and I'm very tempted to go back to growing out my natural because it was easy and the blonde in the front kept it interesting :lol:

I do love the blue but I'm conscious of the damage, I haven't had any snapping/breakage but my hair does seem drier and more prone to tangles so :shrug:

Maybe grow it out and keep the streak blue? That might look good. My blue is semi fried but if lapushka doesn't mind me maintaining just the side shave in this challenge I can slowly cut the damage away

tähkäpää
January 6th, 2021, 06:53 AM
I don't think I'll be doing the starting trim, because I'm suspecting my hair scissors are too dull. :( I trimmed maybe a month or two ago, and now I feel like I have so many split ends. I'm trying not to worry about them too much but it's honestly kind of stressing me out and I can't stop going through my hair looking for splits. Is there any realistic way to sharpen hair scissors (at home)? Or if I have to buy new ones, how would I guarantee they're any sharper than my current ones? :P

On a more positive (and maybe more on topic) note, I hope this challenge and this year will bring a lot of growth. Good luck everyone.

xanthochromia
January 6th, 2021, 08:47 AM
I don't think I'll be doing the starting trim, because I'm suspecting my hair scissors are too dull. :( I trimmed maybe a month or two ago, and now I feel like I have so many split ends. I'm trying not to worry about them too much but it's honestly kind of stressing me out and I can't stop going through my hair looking for splits. Is there any realistic way to sharpen hair scissors (at home)? Or if I have to buy new ones, how would I guarantee they're any sharper than my current ones? :P

On a more positive (and maybe more on topic) note, I hope this challenge and this year will bring a lot of growth. Good luck everyone.

There are a couple of ways to sharpen scissors that I have done for fabric and I assume it would work for hair scissors as well. The easiest is to cut folded up aluminum foil or fine grit sandpaper. Just cut along the whole length of the scissors 5 or 10 times and you should notice a difference!

pisinoe
January 6th, 2021, 09:00 AM
Why are the first days always the hardest ones? I’m already so impatient 😫

Belgrade Beauty
January 6th, 2021, 09:53 AM
June 30th sounds so far away, am I the only one? hahahaha it's so cold and rainy.. And June is so hot and sweaty...:D but I know it's gonna pass so fast...This past year was me learning and experimenting with things and trims...Fingers crossed I manage without trims for 6 months..:D I envy you guys on your discipline.. :O

SelenVinland
January 6th, 2021, 10:19 AM
For me it’s less discipline and more of a combined effort of benign neglect and fear of losing too much length with a cut (it’s still too short for me to do this effectively by myself)

Potauvert
January 6th, 2021, 11:18 AM
I had mesured my hair tonigth after wash my hair. On wet hait I'm at 95cm. I'm so happy to try this challenge!
I I had never no cut my hair for so long. Let's see until june !

Ylva
January 6th, 2021, 11:35 AM
June 30th sounds so far away, am I the only one? hahahaha it's so cold and rainy.. And June is so hot and sweaty...:D but I know it's gonna pass so fast...This past year was me learning and experimenting with things and trims...Fingers crossed I manage without trims for 6 months..:D I envy you guys on your discipline.. :O

I am actually hoping that January and February won't pass by too quickly this time. I really come alive when the temperatures remain solidly below 0, and I'm loving the feeling of the chilly winds biting my cheeks and jaw. That goes well with my growing back schedule, as during the time that I enjoy the proper winter months, I am also growing back the length I lost in my last trim (2 cm). After that period, while I enjoy the last moments before my allergies hit, I can rejoice in the fact that I am back in the "longest yet" territory. :)

Belgrade Beauty
January 6th, 2021, 11:46 AM
I am actually hoping that January and February won't pass by too quickly this time. I really come alive when the temperatures remain solidly below 0, and I'm loving the feeling of the chilly winds biting my cheeks and jaw. That goes well with my growing back schedule, as during the time that I enjoy the proper winter months, I am also growing back the length I lost in my last trim (2 cm). After that period, while I enjoy the last moments before my allergies hit, I can rejoice in the fact that I am back in the "longest yet" territory. :)

I envy you on your snow and bellow 0 temp... It rarely snows here in the capitol. Different in my hometown though... I also enjoy winter better with all it's traits, the cold and the winter wear... I feel safe somehow and enjoy my winter hair routine. I tend to oil it more and massage it, generally for my selfcare winter is my fav. When it start to get warm I feel uncomfortable, the heat and sweat and all the ordeal. I hate it...(unpopular opinion though) And also the shedding that comes with warm months.. But length wise, I haven't trimmed it since the beginning of December, I felt I would lose a lot if I trimmed in designated time for challenge, I just hope my ends will remain nice till the end of this challenge. And also I'm not that far from my goal length, so I don't need to do the whole year. If I hit it before June,I will probably do a little trim...:)

Feral_
January 6th, 2021, 11:47 AM
I’m in! :waving: I have no desire to trim (I do trim my fringe every 2 weeks though or I can’t see) so hopefully it should be easy. I too love cold weather - my winter hat collection comes into its own.

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Part of me is slightly tempted to attempt to trim like half an inch or something to try out my new scissors when they arrive, but I have no desire to mess up and make my hemline any more uneven than it already is (I really think I am approaching terminal with these ends).
So, starting pics:
https://i.imgur.com/c2AeoI1m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c2AeoI1.jpg ID: a photo of wispy ends of long blonde hair with a small purple streak on the left, against black and purple striped knee-high socks; the feet are wearing black sequined slippers and standing on grey carpet. The background is part of a white door. The hair reaches the bottom of the seventh purple stripe down.
https://i.imgur.com/eMnLirOm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eMnLirO.jpg ID: a photo of the back of a person with calf-length blonde hair in the mirror. The top of her head is out of the frame. She is wearing a blue striped T-shirt, below that is a beige vest visible, black ankle-length leggings, and black sequined slippers. She is standing on grey carpet with a tiny part of a wooden unit visible in the edge of the mirror.
(Mini album here if anyone wants to see any more https://imgur.com/a/OOLDUKf)

Great starting pics everyone! Ylva it really does look like we could be hair twins with your virgin colour; you might have a slightly cooler tone than me but it's hard to tell as my pics are all in artificial light :lol:
Simpscone I LOVE that colour!!! :thud: Your texture is looking great as well. I hope continued babying keeps your hair feeling okay :)

Happy growing everyone!

Feral_
January 6th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Crikey ‘Spoons I had no idea your hair was that long! I know your profile says calf but until you see it, wow! :bowtome:

squirrrel
January 6th, 2021, 01:39 PM
It looks great, Spoons: a real treat to see it like this.

MusicalSpoons
January 6th, 2021, 02:14 PM
Crikey ‘Spoons I had no idea your hair was that long! I know your profile says calf but until you see it, wow! :bowtome:

It looks great, Spoons: a real treat to see it like this.

Thank you! :o It wasn't until getting this phone that I was able to take more full-length shots. and to be honest when I look at photos I'm usually focusing on what my ends are doing so the length still doesn't really register unless it's pointed out :lol:

cestlavie
January 6th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Wow, what an impressive length, MusicalSpoons!! It is the first time I see pictures of your beautiful hair!

pisinoe
January 6th, 2021, 02:53 PM

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you take care of your hair outside in such cold conditions? In mainland Europe it’s not even that cold but I always come back with a dry rat’s nest that is impossible to deal with

Finda
January 6th, 2021, 03:25 PM
MusicalSpoons I agree with the others, incredible hair!

oldrocker
January 6th, 2021, 04:22 PM
Great starting pics everyone! Ylva it really does look like we could be hair twins with your virgin colour; you might have a slightly cooler tone than me but it's hard to tell as my pics are all in artificial light :lol:
Simpscone I LOVE that colour!!! :thud: Your texture is looking great as well. I hope continued babying keeps your hair feeling okay :)

Happy growing everyone!

Ms MS, pretty sure your thud should be redirected to yourself....:) :thudpile:

O.R.

Ylva
January 6th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Great starting pics everyone! Ylva it really does look like we could be hair twins with your virgin colour; you might have a slightly cooler tone than me but it's hard to tell as my pics are all in artificial light :lol

Indeed! I am pretty unsure about my tone as well because indoors, it can look extremely red, but my eyes do mostly tell me it's a cool tone, haha. We'll just have to wait for more natural hair to sprout out to compare properly!

How wonderful to see photos of your impressive length, Spoons! :applause

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you take care of your hair outside in such cold conditions? In mainland Europe it’s not even that cold but I always come back with a dry rat’s nest that is impossible to deal with

Not at all. I don't do anything different apart from wearing my hair in buns more (even though I don't like buns personally) to keep a braid from rubbing on everything under heavy winter clothes. And of course I wear warm beanies, but those are for my head, not my hair. :)

I actually experience worst hair in the spring and I have no idea why. That's when it gets super static-y.

oldrocker
January 6th, 2021, 06:56 PM
oh, and YLVA,

you're pretty :thudpile: worthy yourself....

O.R.

Ylva
January 7th, 2021, 04:10 AM
oh, and YLVA,

you're pretty :thudpile: worthy yourself....

O.R.

You are too kind, O.R. You get yourself a :thudpile: too for your incredible silver tones of which I am envious. I can only hope to suit them equally well later on.

Bat
January 7th, 2021, 04:17 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/796696785636032522/IMG_07012021_210819_500_x_500_pixel.jpg

New starting photo since I had a trim and new Color still want to try 12 months but will split it in two so I don't feel over wealmed

lapushka
January 7th, 2021, 04:22 AM
Just spotted your pictures there, Spoons! Your hair looks in great shape. I would keep growing. :) Try the scissors out later. ;)

Belgrade Beauty
January 7th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Part of me is slightly tempted to attempt to trim like half an inch or something to try out my new scissors when they arrive, but I have no desire to mess up and make my hemline any more uneven than it already is (I really think I am approaching terminal with these ends).
So, starting pics:
https://i.imgur.com/c2AeoI1m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c2AeoI1.jpg ID: a photo of wispy ends of long blonde hair with a small purple streak on the left, against black and purple striped knee-high socks; the feet are wearing black sequined slippers and standing on grey carpet. The background is part of a white door. The hair reaches the bottom of the seventh purple stripe down.
https://i.imgur.com/eMnLirOm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eMnLirO.jpg ID: a photo of the back of a person with calf-length blonde hair in the mirror. The top of her head is out of the frame. She is wearing a blue striped T-shirt, below that is a beige vest visible, black ankle-length leggings, and black sequined slippers. She is standing on grey carpet with a tiny part of a wooden unit visible in the edge of the mirror.
(Mini album here if anyone wants to see any more https://imgur.com/a/OOLDUKf)

Happy growing everyone!
OMG!!! you're the first I saw with that length! Is it heavy? Do you have head aches? What is the plan when you reach terminal? So many questions!!! :O

Hailwidis
January 7th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Here's my starting length shot! My thumb is at hip.
https://i.postimg.cc/5yFYNZnY/IMG-20210107-181924.jpg

oldrocker
January 7th, 2021, 04:23 PM
YLVA,

thank you, and not sure if you partake of such things.....but a small glass of Aquavit for us both???? cheers!

O.R.

Ylva
January 8th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Here's my starting length shot! My thumb is at hip.

Your texture is really pretty and suits the fairytale ends extra well. :)

YLVA,

thank you, and not sure if you partake of such things.....but a small glass of Aquavit for us both???? cheers!

O.R.

Haha, aquavit is quite something! Why not, once a year, since I skipped it this past New Year. ;) Skål!

MusicalSpoons
January 8th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Wow, what an impressive length, MusicalSpoons!! It is the first time I see pictures of your beautiful hair!

MusicalSpoons I agree with the others, incredible hair!

Ms MS, pretty sure your thud should be redirected to yourself....:) :thudpile:

O.R.

Indeed! I am pretty unsure about my tone as well because indoors, it can look extremely red, but my eyes do mostly tell me it's a cool tone, haha. We'll just have to wait for more natural hair to sprout out to compare properly!

How wonderful to see photos of your impressive length, Spoons! :applause

Thank you guys :o :flower:

Just spotted your pictures there, Spoons! Your hair looks in great shape. I would keep growing. :) Try the scissors out later. ;)

Aw thank you! They arrived today; last night when I knew they would be delivered today I thought I would be tempted, but I really can't be bothered now, I don't think!

OMG!!! you're the first I saw with that length! Is it heavy? Do you have head aches? What is the plan when you reach terminal? So many questions!!! :O

Haha, you've evidently not seen the Knee-length and beyond thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031&page=203) then :p (Link takes to a random page with photos there; I'm not sure where the photos start and which ones are all gone.)
No it's not heavy at all, possibly because I'm only a middling ii and it tapers, A Lot. No headaches unless I wear a bun too high :) If/when I reach terminal, I'm undecided - probably cut back a bit to a better hemline but still somewhere around calf length, but I might wait a bit and see if the slight extra thickness ever catches up at all. I won't technically be able to call definite terminal at that point because my longest hairs have been trimmed, but terminal *with these ends* will probably be enough to satisfy my curiosity. If it turns out to be longer than I think it will be, with extremely wispy ends, I may not keep growing to find out and cut back a little anyway :shrug: So yeah, very undecided!

Hailwidis Wow your ends with the curls look so ethereal and romantic!!

oldrocker
January 8th, 2021, 10:02 PM
Haha, aquavit is quite something! Why not, once a year, since I skipped it this past New Year. ;) Skål!

While I vaguely remember hearing about it, I was just reading the Ken Follett novel Hornet Flight, which is based mostly in Denmark during the war. They even mentioned Aarhus a few times, which is where my maternal Grandfather was from (John Christian Hansen) So, I had to look it up to see exactly what it was. Interesting....may have to see if I can a bottle here in the states somewhere.

Skol back to you and your awesome hair Ms YLVA.... cheers :toast:

O.R.

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 07:13 AM
I trimmed off a tiny amount and ready to start growing!

https://i.postimg.cc/y8RF7cJt/F65-FD0-DC-96-E7-45-B9-AE04-C7346-BE188-BB.jpg (https://postimg.cc/QFXBbBJJ)

Not much different than my year end photo, I know. I only trimmed about a half inch off the very bottom. But it helps me mentally to know I did it!

Happy growing all! 🤗

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 07:25 AM

I am another winter person! ❄️🌨 I love this time of year. It’s not below 0 here in Virginia much, but I do come alive in the Fall when I know Winter is on its way. When Spring comes, I’m not so happy.

FaeBroom
January 9th, 2021, 07:48 AM
Vacurlylady, your hair is gorgeous!! And that view in the background too! Lovely pic!

BuddhaBelle
January 9th, 2021, 07:52 AM
I cut myself a fringe in a few days ago but I'm in! My last cut was October but it doesn't seem to need a trim so hopefully, it will last until June! :eek:

https://ibb.co/5xLLqCm

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2021, 07:59 AM
WOW Vacurlylady your hair is looking amazing! :thud: the colour, the texture, the shape of your hemline - just gorgeous! :crush:

luluj
January 9th, 2021, 08:49 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/y8RF7cJt/F65-FD0-DC-96-E7-45-B9-AE04-C7346-BE188-BB.jpg (https://postimg.cc/QFXBbBJJ)

Not much different than my year end photo, I know. I only trimmed about a half inch off the very bottom. But it helps me mentally to know I did it!

Happy growing all! ��

I wasn't going to join this challenge, or any of the others, due to the fact that I always end up dropping out, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because I really do want to keep going this time. The last couple of days have been a struggle because it is usually around this time of the year that I give up and cut.

But....after seeing this photo, I am going join the challenge....you have inspired me to stay the course, Vacurlylady. I've not cut or trimmed in a very long time and I am seeing the results, APL is achievable quite soon.

Thanks for the inspiration. :blossom:

ETA ~ I am going to go ahead and measure my length now. This will give me a push in the right direction.

Oh my! I am out of the "teens" and past 20 inches! My starting length is (drum roll please :cheer:) 21 inches!

Bat
January 9th, 2021, 08:56 AM
I wasn't going to join this challenge, or any of the others, due to the fact that I always end up dropping out, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because I really do want to keep going this time. The last couple of days have been a struggle because it is usually around this time of the year that I give up and cut.

But....after seeing this photo, I am going join the challenge....you have inspired me to stay the course, Vacurlylady. I've not cut or trimmed in a very long time and I am seeing the results, APL is achievable quite soon.

ETA ~ I am going to go ahead and measure my length now. This will give me a push in the right direction.

I think you can still trim today for it to count, challenge starts on the 10th, I you feel you really need it, good luck!

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 08:56 AM
Vacurlylady, your hair is gorgeous!! And that view in the background too! Lovely pic!

So sweet! Thank you so much! My dear hubby got a chuckle. He’s my photographer. That is the view from our home! ❤️

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 08:58 AM
WOW Vacurlylady your hair is looking amazing! :thud: the colour, the texture, the shape of your hemline - just gorgeous! :crush:

Wow! Thank you Spoons! I am in awe of your hair. I’m not sure of my goal length, but I absolutely LOVE seeing your lengths! Inspirational! 🤗

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:01 AM
I cut myself a fringe in a few days ago but I'm in! My last cut was October but it doesn't seem to need a trim so hopefully, it will last until June! :eek:

https://ibb.co/5xLLqCm

Good luck! The time goes so fast.... and it’s amazing how much length we gain in these challenges. Happy growing!!! Make sure to take a photo. Because you won’t notice your growth unless you see side by sides. I’m always amazed!

Feral_
January 9th, 2021, 09:04 AM
Beautiful hair Vacurlylady, stunning silver with lovely curls and hemline :crush:

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Oh my goodness luluj! Thank you for your kind words! I am so glad to be an inspiration to you. If it wasn’t for these half year challenges, I am not sure where I would be. And as Bat has mentioned, you still have time for a trim. Even a little trim helps me get through 6 months mentally. I am not sure why. Because seriously, I maybe took off half inch of a couple curls at the tips. But now my mind is settled down and ready!!! 🤗

Woohoo! Just saw your updated 21” in starting length! Congratulations. That’s exciting. It’s so much fun growing!!

luluj
January 9th, 2021, 09:08 AM
I think you can still trim today for it to count, challenge starts on the 10th, I you feel you really need it, good luck!

Thank-you, Bat. You are so supportive and I really appreciate it. :flower:

I just edited my previous post to say that my husband measured for me and I have finally left the "teens" behind and made it to 21 inches. I haven't been this length in very long time. :joy:

Finda
January 9th, 2021, 09:11 AM
vacurlylady Beautiful hair!

lapushka
January 9th, 2021, 09:11 AM

Happy growing all! 🤗

It looks great! I will be curious to find out what your end-photo on here is like. :D

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:12 AM

I just edited my previous post to say that my husband measured for me and I have finally left the "teens" behind and made it to 21 inches. I haven't been this length in very long time. :joy:

I’m so excited for you luluj! Keep growing! You are so right! Bat is always here cheering us on and so supportive.

luluj
January 9th, 2021, 09:14 AM
Oh my goodness luluj! Thank you for your kind words! I am so glad to be an inspiration to you. If it wasn’t for these half year challenges, I am not sure where I would be. And as Bat has mentioned, you still have time for a trim. Even a little trim helps me get through 6 months mentally. I am not sure why. Because seriously, I maybe took off half inch of a couple curls at the tips. But now my mind is settled down and ready!!! 🤗

You are so welcome, Vacurlylady. :flower:

After measuring in at 21 inches I am completely re-inspired! I will forgo trimming until this challenge is over. :D

Like you, my mind is settled down and ready to go.! :p

luluj
January 9th, 2021, 09:16 AM
I’m so excited for you luluj! Keep growing! You are so right! Bat is always here cheering us on and so supportive.

Thanks! Yes, Bat is a Gem, always here with positive support for us all.

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:18 AM
It looks great! I will be curious to find out what your end-photo on here is like. :D

Thank you Lapushka!!! I’m curious too. I’m thinking solidly at waist!!! 🤗 which I cannot even fathom I would EVER mention that word in the same sentence with MY hair! I’m so happy!
💃💃💃

cestlavie
January 9th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Vacurlylady, what a lovely silver mane and texture! Good luck growing!

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:20 AM
You are so welcome, Vacurlylady. :flower:

After measuring in at 21 inches I am completely re-inspired! I will forgo trimming until this challenge is over. :D

Like you, my mind is settled down and ready to go.! :p

Awesome! Enjoy the journey!! 😎

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:22 AM
vacurlylady Beautiful hair!

You’re so sweet Finda. Thank you so much. Happy growing the next 6 months! 😊

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Vacurlylady, what a lovely silver mane and texture! Good luck growing!

Thank you so very much! Your hair is gorgeous! Happy growing to you as well!!! 🤗

BuddhaBelle
January 9th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Good luck! The time goes so fast.... and it’s amazing how much length we gain in these challenges. Happy growing!!! Make sure to take a photo. Because you won’t notice your growth unless you see side by sides. I’m always amazed!

Grabbed a mirror photo the other day (my profile picture) so hopefully, that will serve me! I love tracking my progress so much.

lapushka
January 9th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Grabbed a mirror photo the other day (my profile picture) so hopefully, that will serve me! I love tracking my progress so much.

For those still trimming tomorrow: last day to do it!

And we're off! :cheer:

BuddhaBelle
January 9th, 2021, 10:55 AM
For those still trimming tomorrow: last day to do it!

And we're off! :cheer:

Does anyone have any tips to keep their ends healthy? i want to make sure I can avoid trimming!

MusicalSpoons
January 9th, 2021, 01:21 PM
I did it, just the tiniest trim. Had to deal with my hair to plait it for a scalp wash so I thought I may as well - it was literally about 1/4", if that. It won't look any different at all but at least I've tried out my new scissors :lol:

BuddhaBelle for me it's just a case of keeping the ends moisturised and protected, so I keep it in a bun (and avoid hair elastics). If you do wear it down, make sure to move it out of the way of anything damaging - rubbing on seat backs, bag straps, velcro, zips, etc.

Lainey
January 9th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Oh my! I am out of the "teens" and past 20 inches! My starting length is (drum roll please :cheer:) 21 inches!

Congratulations Luluj. This is lovely to hear.

Lainey
January 9th, 2021, 01:41 PM

Happy growing all! 🤗

Wonderful hair, Vacurlylady.

Lainey
January 9th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Hi All. Count me in. I’m growing out from a pixie. I last trimmed in July last year and I found that I’ve gained over 3 inches in that time, so I’ll keep going.

luluj
January 9th, 2021, 02:16 PM
Congratulations Luluj. This is lovely to hear.

Hi All. Count me in. I’m growing out from a pixie. I last trimmed in July last year and I found that I’ve gained over 3 inches in that time, so I’ll keep going.

Thank-you, Lainey. :flower:

Gaining three inches is wonderful, Congratulations! :hifive:

Vacurlylady
January 9th, 2021, 02:29 PM

Yay! Lainey I’m so glad you are joining in!!! That’s how I started. It’s amazing how these 6 month challenges has us focused on the months and not our hair. When you take your finishing photo, you will be amazed! 🤗

Bat
January 9th, 2021, 08:11 PM

That is super exciting! I realise I forgot if and said I Instead.
makes my post sound meaner lol, you'll have to throw a 21st party for your hair

Bat
January 9th, 2021, 08:17 PM

Go go gooo you got this :D

luluj
January 10th, 2021, 01:26 PM
That is super exciting! I realise I forgot if and said I Instead.
makes my post sound meaner lol, you'll have to throw a 21st party for your hair

Ha Ha! Yes, a party mood is certainly how I feel right now, Bat! To finally measure in the twenties was a goal of mine, finally I have made it.:disco:

sonderouslocks
January 10th, 2021, 04:57 PM
I don't plan on trimming at all this entire year so count me in!:disco:

Bat
January 10th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Ha Ha! Yes, a party mood is certainly how I feel right now, Bat! To finally measure in the twenties was a goal of mine, finally I have made it.:disco:

Super excited for you! *Throws confetti*

lapushka
January 11th, 2021, 12:57 AM
We're off for good now! :cheer:

Welcome, sonderouslocks!

Bat
January 11th, 2021, 01:05 AM
Onwards! Friends

xanthochromia
January 11th, 2021, 06:37 AM
I am curious about how many others here have bangs they are maintaining -- I feel like they might ease some of the desire for trimming in those of us who are used to regular haircuts! I have blunt bangs that need to be trimmed every month or two, so this time I will actually record when I do it as another sign of growth.

Aliyah3
January 11th, 2021, 06:43 AM
I want to join! I’m currently at shoulder length. I should be about 1 or 2 inches past collar bone length by the first half of 2021 if I don’t trim. I’m maintaining some side swept bangs.

Aliyah3
January 11th, 2021, 07:09 AM
I forgot to mention that when I got my last trim right before this New Year, it went badly. I went to the salon (I had a one length cut) and asked for a little bit of soft layering along with my tiny trim. The layers she cut SUCKED. Back in August 2020, I had gotten a blond balayage, which looks very pretty but has turned my once silky, healthy hair slightly dry and more breakage/split prone. So now I’m growing out this year with bad layers and slightly damaged blonde hair. Here’s to 2021, the year of reckoning my mistakes!

Simpscone
January 16th, 2021, 06:18 AM
Finally got my starting picture! I last trimmed my own hair in September so it’s already been 4 months without trimming. Hoping I can make it through the challenge with pretty good ends!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44104&d=1610802387

lapushka
January 16th, 2021, 06:32 AM
Finally got my starting picture! I last trimmed my own hair in September so it’s already been 4 months without trimming. Hoping I can make it through the challenge with pretty good ends!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44104&d=1610802387

Wooh boy, it got long! :)

Simpscone
January 16th, 2021, 06:39 AM
Wooh boy, it got long! :)

I’ve never had it this long in my life! Feels like I’m finally starting to reach “longhair” status :lol: The trick really is benign neglect for me.

And as expected... my original goal of waist is probably going to change... We’ll see when I officially call it! :lol:

Feral_
January 17th, 2021, 08:05 AM
How hard is it for some to not trim their hair? Might sound a daft question, but simply leaving my hair alone has to be the easiest thing, for me anyway. Is cutting a compulsive behaviour that some struggle with? Does it have deeper rooted psych issues for those who obsessively cut / colour etc? This might not be the right place for this question, but as I was in this thread I thought I would ask. Hope that’s ok.

pisinoe
January 17th, 2021, 08:11 AM
For me it was like a compulsion before because I kept checking my ends obsessively and wanting to “improve” it since I saw dryness everywhere and ugliness everywhere etc. I invested in a ton of products and my hair became much better, and also, I didn’t feel like washing the money down the drain. Kinda fixed the issue for me! But once I hit my hair goals, I want to start maintaining for sure.

ioanaxena
January 17th, 2021, 08:43 AM
How hard is it for some to not trim their hair? Might sound a daft question, but simply leaving my hair alone has to be the easiest thing, for me anyway. Is cutting a compulsive behaviour that some struggle with? Does it have deeper rooted psych issues for those who obsessively cut / colour etc? This might not be the right place for this question, but as I was in this thread I thought I would ask. Hope that’s ok.

It was never hard for me not to trim before I bleached my hair. I went without trimming for months/even a year before and only trimmed when I saw split ends. But after damaging my hair, trimming became an obsession. My hair looked bad and broke off at different lengths and all I wanted was one cohesive hairstyle. Thankfully I have gotten rid of the most damaged parts and now I don't get the urge to trim at all - and I think a lot of people are like me and become obssesed with cutting their hair because it doesn't look/feel good enough.

paper.wyrm
January 17th, 2021, 09:26 AM
I think I'll be joining here, I have a serious inability to put down the scissors, probably increased because I have a lot of taper going on. But if I don't stop trimming I'll never make it to TBL, I think I'll have to bear the thin ends and maintain once I get further along.

Bat
January 17th, 2021, 10:04 AM
You'd think it would be easy lol. My brain Is like: oh I like that haircut, or my ends are damaged cut that off. Oh ends looking scraggly I better get it evened up. My hair is ugly a cut will fix that. What pops into my mind it all I think about and it won't leave until I'm so manic with the thought I just do it.

Feral_
January 17th, 2021, 10:31 AM
For me it was like a compulsion before because I kept checking my ends obsessively and wanting to “improve” it since I saw dryness everywhere and ugliness everywhere etc. I invested in a ton of products and my hair became much better, and also, I didn’t feel like washing the money down the drain. Kinda fixed the issue for me! But once I hit my hair goals, I want to start maintaining for sure.

That makes sense. I think once I get to my hair length goal I’ll be maintaining too.

It was never hard for me not to trim before I bleached my hair. I went without trimming for months/even a year before and only trimmed when I saw split ends. But after damaging my hair, trimming became an obsession. My hair looked bad and broke off at different lengths and all I wanted was one cohesive hairstyle. Thankfully I have gotten rid of the most damaged parts and now I don't get the urge to trim at all - and I think a lot of people are like me and become obssesed with cutting their hair because it doesn't look/feel good enough.

Fair enough! I understand cutting damaged hair. If the situation was someone else obsessing as you call it though, you would probably tell them their hair was good enough? We are our own worst critics.

I think I'll be joining here, I have a serious inability to put down the scissors, probably increased because I have a lot of taper going on. But if I don't stop trimming I'll never make it to TBL, I think I'll have to bear the thin ends and maintain once I get further along.

Welcome to the forum! :)

You'd think it would be easy lol. My brain Is like: oh I like that haircut, or my ends are damaged cut that off. Oh ends looking scraggly I better get it evened up. My hair is ugly a cut will fix that. What pops into my mind it all I think about and it won't leave until I'm so manic with the thought I just do it.

It is easy, Bat. Just stop cutting your damn hair.. focus on the bigger picture, it’s going take a lot longer to grow!

lapis_lazuli
January 17th, 2021, 10:43 AM
It's usually easy for me not to trim my hair but I like a blunt hemline. If I scrutinize it too much, I start itching to take a few cms off.

Bat
January 17th, 2021, 10:48 AM
That makes sense. I think once I get to my hair length goal I’ll be maintaining too.

Fair enough! I understand cutting damaged hair. If the situation was someone else obsessing as you call it though, you would probably tell them their hair was good enough? We are our own worst critics.

Welcome to the forum! :)

It is easy, Bat. Just stop cutting your damn hair.. focus on the bigger picture, it’s going take a lot longer to grow!

It's not that easy when you do something a certain way your whole life, it takes alot to break habits that Ingrained. It's why I try joining these, I'm not doing the best Job lol

BuddhaBelle
January 18th, 2021, 02:31 AM
the before for my progression pictures :D

https://i.imgur.com/pjxPz2c.jpg

Wondering if I can really get to waist by the end of 2021?

Simpscone
January 18th, 2021, 05:15 AM

I personally don't find it that hard not to trim, but when my ends start to look "scraggly" or not feeling very nice, I then do find it a lot harder, because I feel like if I don't trim it it's only going to all snap off and look worse. And I think we all love the feel of freshly trimmed ends!

I'm currently at 4 months no trim so doing a 6 month challenge is pretty easy for me. However to last in this one I need to go 10 months without a trim, which might be asking too much of my ends :lol:

the before for my progression pictures :D

https://i.imgur.com/pjxPz2c.jpg

Wondering if I can really get to waist by the end of 2021?

Your hair looks so good! Then ends look great. Judging by your signature it looks like you could grow to waist! Or at least very close to it :)

knobbly
January 18th, 2021, 06:05 PM
For me it’s pretty easy not to trim. Now that I no longer dye, I hardly ever get a split end, and if my older hair feels dry, that’s solved by an SMT or other moisture treatment.

Last year I had a hemline I wasn’t into (a fairly dramatic V) and I trimmed to get to a softer U. Between my currently healthy hair and a hemline I like, I’m pretty happy to just let it do it’s thing for awhile.

I’m also going to have a newborn in 7 weeks or so, so I’m sure I will barely have time to wash it on my current weekly schedule, never mind obsessing about length gains or whatever, and it’s always going to be up and away from tiny grabby fingers. The only reason I’ve committed to the half-year challenge vs. the full year for 2021 is because I don’t know what postpartum hair fall is going to do to my self-esteem and overall look. I want to keep things open so that I can trim if I like after this challenge is over, or join the second half if it seems like a good idea.

Bat
January 19th, 2021, 03:01 AM
I can't wait to see how much my side shave will have grown by the end of this, it's already been 6 months since I skin shaved it, I can then have a rough estimate of how much it grows in a year. So I can do some rough estimate at how many years it will possibly take to get to floor, I'd say maybe 20 years? Who knows! That reminds me I need to post a starting picture of the blue, I did One for the rest of my hair page 14.

Here is one for the blue

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754621585465540641/801030579100844042/IMG_19012021_200917_300_x_300_pixel.jpg

Stray_mind
January 19th, 2021, 06:04 AM

It depends. I do get urges to cut from time to time when i feel my hair no longer gives me joy. Though i learned that doing a microtrim helps or otherwise just keeping my hair up all the time.

BuddhaBelle
January 19th, 2021, 06:08 AM
I personally don't find it that hard not to trim, but when my ends start to look "scraggly" or not feeling very nice, I then do find it a lot harder, because I feel like if I don't trim it it's only going to all snap off and look worse. And I think we all love the feel of freshly trimmed ends!

I'm currently at 4 months no trim so doing a 6 month challenge is pretty easy for me. However to last in this one I need to go 10 months without a trim, which might be asking too much of my ends :lol:

Your hair looks so good! Then ends look great. Judging by your signature it looks like you could grow to waist! Or at least very close to it :)

Thank you!!! I hope so, fingers crossed :cool: I just ordered a measuring tape so that will hopefully help me estimate!

Lainey
January 19th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Sorry I need to bow out, already. I trimmed an inch off my mullet today. Feels better though.

Bat
January 19th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Sorry I need to bow out, already. I trimmed an inch off my mullet today. Feels better though.
There is always the second half!

FaeBroom
January 19th, 2021, 01:32 PM

For me its a matter of being bored with my appearance all the time. Also the reason I've never gotten tattoos- I get bored of how I look easily and I always want a change! Very long hair is something I've never had, and getting there will be a real test of patience for me 😪.

Bat
January 19th, 2021, 01:36 PM
For me its a matter of being bored with my appearance all the time. Also the reason I've never gotten tattoos- I get bored of how I look easily and I always want a change! Very long hair is something I've never had, and getting there will be a real test of patience for me 😪.
^^^^^ that best describes me too

BuddhaBelle
January 19th, 2021, 02:08 PM

hehe! sometimes i wish i had an actual mullet tho :o

lapushka
January 25th, 2021, 05:14 PM

^^^^^ that best describes me too

Long hair can change, vary the updo, vary the style, there is variation in it, but you just gotta want it. It takes a bit of time before you realize that it can be just as versatile, though. It is a process!

BuddhaBelle
January 26th, 2021, 01:10 AM
Long hair can change, vary the updo, vary the style, there is variation in it, but you just gotta want it. It takes a bit of time before you realize that it can be just as versatile, though. It is a process!

I understand the thought process, a hair cut or dye is an immediate change and you get the instant gratification from it, but it often doesn’t last. I agree with Lapushka it’s a mindset that an updo is the immediate change you’re looking for! :)

Feral_
January 26th, 2021, 05:11 AM

Agree. I think there can be more to it as well. There’s self esteem issues. Part of me thinks I can never have ‘nice’ hair, seeing all the perfect long hairs on here, yet my hair is currently the best it’s been. Learning how to do a bun, use a hair stick or a plait are all tiny victories for me.

MissMuse
January 26th, 2021, 05:58 AM
I've been following along silently but I think I belong here. My last cut was 14th Dec, and January is nearly over so only 5 months to see this through. As I've said elsewhere I'm not sure I want to grow long but I know I just don't want to cut for a while so this place makes sense for me.

pisinoe
January 26th, 2021, 06:53 AM
I've been following along silently but I think I belong here. My last cut was 14th Dec, and January is nearly over so only 5 months to see this through. As I've said elsewhere I'm not sure I want to grow long but I know I just don't want to cut for a while so this place makes sense for me.

let’s do it!

BuddhaBelle
January 26th, 2021, 07:07 AM

We can do it!

FaeBroom
January 27th, 2021, 06:59 PM
Agree. I think there can be more to it as well. There’s self esteem issues. Part of me thinks I can never have ‘nice’ hair, seeing all the perfect long hairs on here, yet my hair is currently the best it’s been. Learning how to do a bun, use a hair stick or a plait are all tiny victories for me.

I can totally see this, when my hair was BSL and natural I never though it looked pretty. Always too thin, tangly, boring brown, or whatever I felt like wasn't good enough that day. I needed the immediate rush of a chop or dye to feel better and "fresh". I guess part of this journey will be growing to love it, or at least tolerate it :neutral:

On a side note, I did my first S&D and my hair feels nice! Almost as if I got a trim, but I'm not pouting over lost length. Though I did have some gnarly split ends.

FaeBroom
January 27th, 2021, 07:01 PM
hehe! sometimes i wish i had an actual mullet tho :o

Mullet-type shag cuts keep popping up on my instagram from a specific hairdresser's account and every time I see one I'm so tempted! I would seriously consider getting one once I reach WL, it just tons of layers and texture, which I love. I'm not sure if I'm tied to the idea of a blunt hemline, though I know it's a popular goal here.

Bat
January 28th, 2021, 12:49 AM
not long until the first month is over! thats exciting