PDA

View Full Version : Curly Girl

atlantaz3
October 7th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Good evening all
It's been a while since I posted. New job, new house kept me busy. A couple of questions. Is anyone here trying or using the curl girl method? I'm in week two transitioning. I'm trying no sulfates or silicons and no heat. I'm going to guess the no heat will only last until winter! Next question, my first problem is with refresh days. My new house came with a sauna, I'm wondering if I made a conditioner mist, misted my hair and got in the sauna for a few minutes if it would be a mini deep condition or a frizzy mess? I know just try it! Let me know your thoughts
thanks!

atlantaz3
October 7th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Answering my own post, I just saw my signature pic - wow was that a lot of blow dry to get that straight. I need to update pic! My hair is still about this length, wondering if I stop the heat etc if it will grow longer!

Longlegs
October 7th, 2018, 09:10 PM
I use the curly girl method. The book Lorraine Massey wrote is a good introduction to it. My hair got curlier when I first started but now it's just a bit wavier. Maybe it just got used to it?
I think the sauna will cause more frizz but you won't know until you give it a try. Now that you no longer use silicones you'll notice a bit more frizz as well.

Ylva
October 7th, 2018, 10:04 PM
My hair got curlier when I first started but now it's just a bit wavier. Maybe it just got used to it?

As fas as I know, it is a mere myth that hair "gets used to" things. One theory is that buildup is causing the effect which people take as the hair "getting used to" products or practises.

spirals
October 7th, 2018, 10:17 PM
I started it 15 years ago and for whatever reason abandoned it when I joined here. I have no idea why. Now I do CWC and no product or gel which works out fine because I wear it down on wash day and it looks good and the following days, after carefully brushing it out, I put it up. If I were to wear it down curly every day I'd probably do curly girl again but it's at BCL and it would be too much to deal with. Plus, I like the 2b waves I get when I brush it out.

Longlegs
October 8th, 2018, 12:07 AM
As fas as I know, it is a mere myth that hair "gets used to" things. One theory is that buildup is causing the effect which people take as the hair "getting used to" products or practises.
I use a clarifying shampoo from time to time to get rid of buildup?

lapushka
October 8th, 2018, 09:02 AM
There are people here who are CG, yes. Some do a modified CG. I just incorporate things from the CG method that are good for me. I still, for instance, wash with sulfates, and use silicones, but I do use the LOC/LCO method for styling, and double condition to combat the dryness of the shampoo.

I think refreshing would be good on its own, no need for the sauna at all (I would not do that).

Ylva
October 8th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I use a clarifying shampoo from time to time to get rid of buildup?

Yes. Depending on the hair and buildup, any sulfate shampoo might do.