PDA

View Full Version : Do you think perfumes in shampoos dry out your scalp and hair?

Crazylazy34
October 6th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Because perfume usually contains alcohol and when it’s added to shampoo and conditioner it can make your hair strands dry and brittle what is your experience with this? And is it better jsut to use a completely unfragrenced shampoo and conditioner

Obsidian
October 6th, 2018, 12:21 PM
No, I do not. Beauty products do not contain perfume, the contain fragrance oils which are different and not alcohol based.

Ylva
October 6th, 2018, 01:41 PM
No, I don't think those two things are related, like Obsidian said above. However, I don't buy shampoos where fragrance is very high up on the ingredients list. To me it just seems like such a waste to have a useless ingredient like that take up so much space in the formula.

chantecler
October 6th, 2018, 02:06 PM
As said above, I don't think it's damaging to hair so much as I have grown used to mild scents that fade quickly from essential oils rather than synthetic fragrances that last much longer, and think it's just more pleasant. Most of my cosmetics are unscented, except for my shampoo and conditionner that have mild cedar and sage odours.

lapushka
October 6th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I don't think there's any "danger" of drying out your scalp with a scented shampoo, no.

You said on another thread you have SD. SD is about oily scalp, not dry scalp; the flakes you get are from oils, and from fungal overgrowth.

littlestarface
October 6th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Heck no perfume never does any wrong!

nycelle
October 6th, 2018, 07:44 PM
From what I understand, when "fragrance" is used as an ingredient in shampoo, it can mean synthetic or natural.
Supposedly it's a loophole that allows companies to use crappy ingredients without disclosing what they are.

ETA: Fragrence is not just one ingredient, it can be hundreds of various chemicals that go I to making it. Hence why companies love it. They can use pretty much anything without saying what they are.

Emma Rose
October 6th, 2018, 11:20 PM
I don't think it's drying, I just don't use it as I don't like overly strong scents

Reservechic
October 7th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Fragrance is one of the top irritants there is out there, when it comes to people catching allergic reactions to (even though anyone can catch an allergic reaction to anything). When a company lists their hair care or any other product as having parfum/, fragrance/perfume listed within it, unless they let you know what that fragrance actually consists of, then there's know way to know what was used to make up the actual fragrance that was added to that product.

I personally suffer with scalp eczema and seborrheic dermatitis. I can use products that have fragrance in them, but only those that don't irritate my scalp. Those happen to be rinse out products only. I cannot use products that have fragrance in them as styling aids at all, which is why, the styler that I currently use is fragrance free. As, I have run into a lot of products that have fragrances in them that severely irritate my scalp. Also, I am unable to use any products with fragrance in them on my face or body at all.

Everyone's reactions to fragrances in products (or certain ingredients in general) will always be different. So, definitely keep that in mind, okay.

lapushka
October 7th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Still, I think fragrance is far less harmful than EOs where allergies are concerned. Just MO. EOs can be a lot more potent. But in the end it's about the same thing. If I could go fragrance-free I would, but that is not an option for a lot of products that I happen to like, so as long as I'm not allergic, I just use them.

Margrit
October 7th, 2018, 03:13 PM
I don't think there's any "danger" of drying out your scalp with a scented shampoo, no.

I am absolutely agree.