PDA

View Full Version : New Hairbrush

kph12
October 5th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the market for a new hairbrush and I'm torn between a wooden brush and a boar bristle brush. Has anyone ever tried either? I'm curious!

ExpectoPatronum
October 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM
I feel like the two can and are often used for two different purposes. A wooden brush can be used to detangle and brush through the hair while boar bristle brushes are more useful for distributing sebum from the scalp to the ends. I have curly hair and boar bristle brushes aren't the best for my hair type. I use a wooden brush and I prefer it.

Basically, it comes down to what you intend to use the brush for and your hair type.

kph12
October 5th, 2018, 12:51 PM
good to know! My hair is naturally quite curly but I usually comb it out to smooth it which is why i'm torn. When my hair's been brushed out and worn in a bun or in braids for some time it's smooth but a little frizzy and dry so I think it'd be nice to be able to distribute more oils from my scalp onto my ends. But my hair also can get tangly and I do like to brush it out one a day.

akurah
October 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM
A boar bristle brush isn’t actually used for brushing. Either get the wood bristled one or both, I don’t recommend getting the BBB alone if you intend to use it as a brush as most people understand brushing to be.

kph12
October 5th, 2018, 01:53 PM
What are boar brushes used for then?

lapushka
October 5th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the market for a new hairbrush and I'm torn between a wooden brush and a boar bristle brush. Has anyone ever tried either? I'm curious!

If you are curly I would go with a wooden bristle rather than a boar bristle (poofs majorly). But maybe that's me. Also a boar bristle is *no* detangling brush! It is just a smoothing brush and can (not saying it's a must) wreak havoc on wavy, curly textures.

kikikhaleesi
October 5th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Hello! I bought a Tek wooden brush over a year ago and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made for my hair. It's so gentle and massages my scalp so nicely. Because the bristles are wooden, I find that it doesn't tug on my hair too much and if you start brushing your hair from the ends working up, then it's a great detangler. I recommend it especially since you mentioned your hair can get frizzy. Before my wooden brush, I tried the BBB for 6 months or so and didn't like it. It separated all my hairs too much, caused static, and felt like it was being rough on my fine hair. I will also add that wooden brushes are still good for distributing oils. I'm seriously in love with mine and will never use another type of brush :) I hope this helps!

kph12
October 5th, 2018, 02:30 PM
So helpful thank you!!

Which brush do you have? I did a google search and saw there are paddle brushes and oval brushes

Deborah
October 5th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I have most every brush type made. My favorite by far is my WIDU wooden bristle brush. I use it every day. I have the largest paddle brush with the longer bristles.

lapushka
October 6th, 2018, 08:21 AM
TEK & WIDU = the very same, I think. No?

It depends where you are, US, or EU.

Kiisu
October 6th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I dont recommend Tek brush! Hate this brush and Wasted money :(

blesseddamozel
October 6th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Hm seeing varying opinions on TEK brushes in this thread but I have to say I love my TEK brush and consider it my best hair care purchase to date. I have the super standard paddle brush and use it almost exclusively. I shed a lot less hair with this brush and it's great quality, still looks and feels exactly the same as when I first bought it. It is a bit expensive but I feel I've gotten my money's worth. But at the end of the day that's just my opinion ^^

enfys
October 6th, 2018, 02:10 PM
The first wooden brush I bought was the Tek (since I'm in Europe) lomg bristled paddle, and it's really lovely. No complaints at all and if I lost it I'd repurchase. I've bought at least half a dozen BBBs, and until my Mason Pearson hated them all but kept trying because they were meant to be good.

If you want a brush, a Tek/Widu would be great. If you want a scalp exfoliator or surface smoother, try a BBB but they can vary wildly in quality.

lapushka
October 6th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I have the "old" non ball-tip ends version of the Body Shop brush, the small one; and I love it even though I haven't used it in a while. I use my TT dupe and Wet brush dupe these days, one for detangling pre-wash and one for detangling on wet hair post-wash. I love these brushes to bits and they make wash day so much more enjoyable for me.

kikikhaleesi
October 8th, 2018, 04:33 PM
So helpful thank you!!

Which brush do you have? I did a google search and saw there are paddle brushes and oval brushes

I have the "Rectangular Brush with Regular Pins" but that is because I was new to the company and didn't know what kind ahah. I think they recommend long pins if you have long hair, but I have a little past BSL length hair and the one I mentioned has been working lovely and I won't use anything else!! :)

ExpectoPatronum
October 8th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I have an oval brush with wooden bristles/teeth(?). The handle is also wood. I don't remember the brand of it and the name as since worn off. Do you have any health food stores where you live? That's where I purchased my brush. I prefer buying things in store when I can so I can actually handle things and see if they're decent quality or not.

kph12
October 9th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Thank you for all the responses on here! I think i'll probably end up going with a wooden brush. There's a wholefoods by my office so I'll check that out at lunch :)

One more question though, what is the difference between ball pins and regular pins in terms of the effect on your hair/scalp. I am slightly worried about getting ball pins just because if there is a seam I'm worried my hair will get snagged in it.

lapushka
October 9th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Thank you for all the responses on here! I think i'll probably end up going with a wooden brush. There's a wholefoods by my office so I'll check that out at lunch :)

One more question though, what is the difference between ball pins and regular pins in terms of the effect on your hair/scalp. I am slightly worried about getting ball pins just because if there is a seam I'm worried my hair will get snagged in it.

It is exactly due to the seam possibility that the ball ends were an issue, but these days it's hard to get a brush without the ball ends (I don't know if there's a brand that still does them without). That's the thing.

If you can skip the ball ends, I would!

kikikhaleesi
October 9th, 2018, 10:41 AM

It is exactly due to the seam possibility that the ball ends were an issue, but these days it's hard to get a brush without the ball ends (I don't know if there's a brand that still does them without). That's the thing.

If you can skip the ball ends, I would!

The Tek wooden brush I have actually doesn't have the ball ends. It just has straight cylinder-like pins, NO seams at all, honestly the best. Have to buy online though.

Deborah
October 9th, 2018, 01:17 PM
The WIDU brushes do not have ball tips.

Alibran
October 9th, 2018, 02:29 PM
When my hair's been brushed out and worn in a bun or in braids for some time it's smooth but a little frizzy and dry so I think it'd be nice to be able to distribute more oils from my scalp onto my ends.

Brushing doesn't help with frizz and dryness with curly hair. It actually makes the frizz worse by breaking up the clumps. It also doesn't do much to distribute oils from the scalp. (I fell into this trap about 15 years ago, and the £40 Mason Pearson brush I bought makes a wonderful cat brush.)

Getting moisture into curly hair means lots and lots of deep conditioning treatments. I usually do a 50/50 mixture of my hair's favourite heavy conditioner and coconut oil. Getting hair properly moisturised also gets the tangles under control.