PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about buns and braids on wavy hair

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 07:55 AM
So, I've been here for a little while and I learned that buns and braids are very useful hairstyles that protect your hair I had no idea about that, I'm hair down all the time kind of girl, and I actually thought that manipulating/putting your hair up in any way was damaging
Well, I use hair elastics, and those really are no good but still

Now I understand that those hairstyles protect your hair, but I still am confused as to how people with wavy hair manage that, because our hair type loses its form somewhat easily, if we want our hair really wavy (tighter wave pattern), we have to encourage the wave formation, and if I bun or braid my hair, that wave pattern will loosen and become straighter

So, what do you do about that? Do you not style your hair to become its most wavy self? Do you not care about preserving the wavy pattern? Do you prefer the look of looser waves? Or if you do like to make your hair the most wavy it can get and mantain that, do you usually bun or braid your hair?

I imagine that since having really long hair naturally weights down the hair, causing the waves to be more loose, maybe this is not a concern for most of you? But still, I wanted to ask

In my case, I usually bun or braid my hair when I haven't washed it in a few days and the wavy pattern is already pretty loose, if I'm having a bad hair day or if I'm going to wash it soon

Alex Lou
October 5th, 2018, 08:11 AM
I like the look of bun waves better than my own wave pattern.

If I wanted to preserve my own waves I would wait until I'm ready to give up on wearing my hair down for the wash cycle like you say. There may also be some looser buns that preserve the waves.

neko_kawaii
October 5th, 2018, 08:15 AM
I have the opposite issue, in that braids and buns add wave, not make my hair straighter.

Some people use buns and braids on damp hair for encouraging or creating waves. Each type creates something different. My natural wave pattern is very close to that given by a rope braid. One way of making braid waves bigger is to braid with an object to add bulk such as a paranda or scarf.

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 08:26 AM
I like the look of bun waves better than my own wave pattern.

If I wanted to preserve my own waves I would wait until I'm ready to give up on wearing my hair down for the wash cycle like you say. There may also be some looser buns that preserve the waves.

I see
For your bun waves, do you let your hair dry normally and only bun it when dry, or do you bun it wet?

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I have the opposite issue, in that braids and buns add wave, not make my hair straighter.

Some people use buns and braids on damp hair for encouraging or creating waves. Each type creates something different. My natural wave pattern is very close to that given by a rope braid. One way of making braid waves bigger is to braid with an object to add bulk such as a paranda or scarf.

Love this idea!
I was refering to the hair being straightened by braiding it dry (this happens to me at least), I didn't think about braiding it damp
You reminded me of when I last went to the beach, afterwards I didn't want to wash my hair in my aunt's house, so I just rinsed off the saltwater, put on a leave in conditioner and french braided my hair, I had never done that and I actually like the results! I didn't get to see it totally dry though, and I have a feeling ny hair would never dry if I braided it damp haha, but I might try it sometime to see if I like it

HaMalka
October 5th, 2018, 08:34 AM
I wear my hair up so much of the time that I don't usually care what it would look like down. Braids change my wave pattern usually making it more wavy and unbraided buns make my hair less wavy and sometimes curls it. If I want to wear my hair down it will usually be the day after wash day when my hair has yet to have its wave pattern affected or after I wear a many stranded braid so as to have more waves than usual.

Ligeia Noire
October 5th, 2018, 09:08 AM
I have wavy hair that gets straightened by putting it up but at my length there's nothing I can do. I prefer it up anyway. And I don't lose the waves. I mean if I wash and leave it down the waves are still there just like always but you have to measure the pros and cons of leaving it down to preserve the definition of your texture or to put it up to preserve the hair from damage. I choose the latter because my waves will always be there if I do not put it up whereas the split ends from letting it down won't disappear unless I cut. I do wish I could preserve my wurls from more than wash day but my length weighs it down to loose waves anyhow.

Alex Lou
October 5th, 2018, 09:17 AM
I see
For your bun waves, do you let your hair dry normally and only bun it when dry, or do you bun it wet?

My hair won't dry in a bun or braid. So I bun when dry. I know other people get great results from Bunning or braiding while wet or damp. It depends on your hair.

ravenskey
October 5th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Depends how many plaits I do. Just one will stretch my waves, if I do loads it will enhance them.

A trick of mine for hair not drying plaited is to just plait the upper layer, your hair isn't in such a big chuck so it drys easier, the upper layer which is seen most get the braid waves, and while your waiting you get a nice hairdo.

spidermom
October 5th, 2018, 10:03 AM
I will often wear my hair down the day of washing it and maybe the next day so I can enjoy my natural wave pattern. However, in general my hair bugs me when it's down getting in my face and tickling my skin, so I like to have it up. I like that putting it up smooths out the surface frizz along with straightening my wave pattern.

lapushka
October 5th, 2018, 10:27 AM
So, I've been here for a little while and I learned that buns and braids are very useful hairstyles that protect your hair I had no idea about that, I'm hair down all the time kind of girl, and I actually thought that manipulating/putting your hair up in any way was damaging
Well, I use hair elastics, and those really are no good but still

Now I understand that those hairstyles protect your hair, but I still am confused as to how people with wavy hair manage that, because our hair type loses its form somewhat easily, if we want our hair really wavy (tighter wave pattern), we have to encourage the wave formation, and if I bun or braid my hair, that wave pattern will loosen and become straighter

So, what do you do about that? Do you not style your hair to become its most wavy self? Do you not care about preserving the wavy pattern? Do you prefer the look of looser waves? Or if you do like to make your hair the most wavy it can get and mantain that, do you usually bun or braid your hair?

I imagine that since having really long hair naturally weights down the hair, causing the waves to be more loose, maybe this is not a concern for most of you? But still, I wanted to ask

In my case, I usually bun or braid my hair when I haven't washed it in a few days and the wavy pattern is already pretty loose, if I'm having a bad hair day or if I'm going to wash it soon

I'm a iii as well, just like you. My circumference is just 4.25 inches and I had to wait until hip to be able to do a bun comfortably. Until that time it was a peacock twist (most certainly at APL).

Yes, my hair is fully wavy at wash day, a little less the next day (as you can see in my signature, which was after wash day), and then I start wearing buns. I don't brush/comb my hair in any way. I just put it up. I do finger detangle (separate strands to get sheds out) during the week, but it is inevitable, waves will slowly sag out.

It's a little hard to imagine how you can manage a bun at APL at iii? :hmm:

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 11:20 AM
I have wavy hair that gets straightened by putting it up but at my length there's nothing I can do. I prefer it up anyway. And I don't lose the waves. I mean if I wash and leave it down the waves are still there just like always but you have to measure the pros and cons of leaving it down to preserve the definition of your texture or to put it up to preserve the hair from damage. I choose the latter because my waves will always be there if I do not put it up whereas the split ends from letting it down won't disappear unless I cut. I do wish I could preserve my wurls from more than wash day but my length weighs it down to loose waves anyhow.

I understand, this makes perfect sense indeed
I never grew my hair too much, so I imagine I maybe need to start protecting my hair more, and it makes way more sense to worry more about the integrity of your hair than its wave pattern

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Depends how many plaits I do. Just one will stretch my waves, if I do loads it will enhance them.

A trick of mine for hair not drying plaited is to just plait the upper layer, your hair isn't in such a big chuck so it drys easier, the upper layer which is seen most get the braid waves, and while your waiting you get a nice hairdo.

Oh, I loved this trick! I might try it out, thanks :)
But, what do you mean by "it depends how many plaits I do"? I'm not sure I understand, could you elaborate? Is it like many small braids instead of a single braid? Or is it a matter of frequently braiding your hair?
Hope I'm not overthinking this lol

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 11:40 AM
I'm a iii as well, just like you. My circumference is just 4.25 inches and I had to wait until hip to be able to do a bun comfortably. Until that time it was a peacock twist (most certainly at APL).

Yes, my hair is fully wavy at wash day, a little less the next day (as you can see in my signature, which was after wash day), and then I start wearing buns. I don't brush/comb my hair in any way. I just put it up. I do finger detangle (separate strands to get sheds out) during the week, but it is inevitable, waves will slowly sag out.

Oh, that perhaps is a miscommunication on my part, I'm a newbie here and I don't know much of the vocabulary and never learned so much about buns, but I don't know if a bun means what I think it means now that you said that lol

Do you mean like wrapping your haur around itself and pulling your ends through so that it holds on its on? If that's what you mean my a bun, then, yeah, I was NEVER able to make those
I was actually sad about that, because I watched girls foing it all the time and it was so pretty and always seemed such a feminine thing to do, shamefully it took ne a long time to figure out that I couldn't do it because I had too much hair and not enough relative length lol

I don't know what a peacock twist is, but what I do, and what I meant by "bun" is I twist all my hair and lay it in my head to make a bun shape and then I just pin it in place to secure it with bobby pins, tucking the ends in

I only started doing this a few years ago, because is the only way I could make a bun and it took me a long time to figure out I could make a bun if I secured it in place

But since literally yesterday l've been securing them with claw clips, since they are much easier to deal with

Arciela
October 5th, 2018, 12:01 PM
I have a similar issue. When my hair was hip it went into a bun easily..but I had to cut it to apl so now I can only do peacock twists. Anytime I put it up it ruins my wurls.

ravenskey
October 5th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Oh, I loved this trick! I might try it out, thanks :)
But, what do you mean by "it depends how many plaits I do"? I'm not sure I understand, could you elaborate? Is it like many small braids instead of a single braid? Or is it a matter of frequently braiding your hair?
Hope I'm not overthinking this lol

You're welcome for the tip!

By "how many plaits" I do mean number. If I do a single plait it will stretch my waves outs, but if I do loads of little ones they enhance my waves. Having loads of little plaits can sometimes look a bit like you're trying to do a Black hairdo (I'm not black) but I find putting the plaits into a ponytail or a single plait themselves helps with that (obviously if you want that look that's fine too).

Joules
October 5th, 2018, 12:30 PM
I wear buns and braids and I couldn't care less about my wave pattern. Besides, I'm gonna be calling BCL in a couple of months, and with this length wearing hair down on a regular basis is out of the question. Trying to encourage tighter waves would be way too much trouble, however pretty it may be. If I ever need it to look good on a special occasion, I'd scrunch it with some gel.

lapushka
October 5th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Oh, that perhaps is a miscommunication on my part, I'm a newbie here and I don't know much of the vocabulary and never learned so much about buns, but I don't know if a bun means what I think it means now that you said that lol

Do you mean like wrapping your haur around itself and pulling your ends through so that it holds on its on? If that's what you mean my a bun, then, yeah, I was NEVER able to make those
I was actually sad about that, because I watched girls foing it all the time and it was so pretty and always seemed such a feminine thing to do, shamefully it took ne a long time to figure out that I couldn't do it because I had too much hair and not enough relative length lol

I don't know what a peacock twist is, but what I do, and what I meant by "bun" is I twist all my hair and lay it in my head to make a bun shape and then I just pin it in place to secure it with bobby pins, tucking the ends in

I only started doing this a few years ago, because is the only way I could make a bun and it took me a long time to figure out I could make a bun if I secured it in place

But since literally yesterday l've been securing them with claw clips, since they are much easier to deal with

Sounds like you are making some sort of peacock twist; great that you switched to a claw clip because they are less manipulative and damaging than bobby pins are. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your journey. :)

Alex Lou
October 5th, 2018, 02:22 PM

Oh true. I think I used to able to do a bun with an elastic at APL, but that won't give a nice wave pattern. I wonder if a sock bun would work.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 5th, 2018, 02:53 PM
So I encourage my wave pattern and curls because it means my hair has moisture.
The more curls and waves the healthier I know my hair is and it means it isn’t dry.
I’ll wear my pattern out on a wash day. So one day.
By the time 2-3-4th day Hair comes around. My pattern is horrible.
Even if I refresh it or use more stylers. So I tend to refresh and then for the next few days wear it up in a bun.
The more I refresh the heavier my hair gets and the flatter my pattern gets anyway.

As long as I can get one day with my pattern I’m happy.
But I might eventually give it up and just wear it up 24:7 because it’s getting so long.

Wendyclaire
October 5th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I’m new here but I don’t get why after all the care it takes to grow long hair, why put it in a bun all the time? I can see if it’s a religious practice but it makes a woman look at least ten years older. I can understand a braid or a ponytail when I’m doing something that requires my hair out of the way. I just always wear mine down or loose ponytail. Really, if I had to put my hair up all the time, it would just kill me!l

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I’m new here but I don’t get why after all the care it takes to grow long hair, why put it in a bun all the time? I can see if it’s a religious practice but it makes a woman look at least ten years older. I can understand a braid or a ponytail when I’m doing something that requires my hair out of the way. I just always wear mine down or loose ponytail. Really, if I had to put my hair up all the time, it would just kill me!l

With hair as long as mine, it has to go into a bun, or it would get in the way :D Seriously though, I wear it in buns because it's fun, there are so many different styles to try, and it protects it from tangling and a lot of damage. Plus if my hair was short, I wouldn't be able to do all these different buns and styles. I can wear it loose if I want to, or bunned, that's the fun thing about long hair, being able to do so many things with it....

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Yeah, this is a bummer :(
Your hair is so so beautiful! I really love the cut and the length :heartbeat also, I think my hair is very similar to yours, so I hope I can get it like that at my goal length!

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 03:26 PM
My last post was answering Arciela, forgot to quote her comment :rolleyes:

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 03:28 PM
You're welcome for the tip!

By "how many plaits" I do mean number. If I do a single plait it will stretch my waves outs, but if I do loads of little ones they enhance my waves. Having loads of little plaits can sometimes look a bit like you're trying to do a Black hairdo (I'm not black) but I find putting the plaits into a ponytail or a single plait themselves helps with that (obviously if you want that look that's fine too).

I see, and you do this with dry hair, right?
Loved it, you're full of good ideas :)

lithostoic
October 5th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Maybe LHC isn't the right place for you if you're going to say women shouldn't do something because it makes them look older.

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you are making some sort of peacock twist; great that you switched to a claw clip because they are less manipulative and damaging than bobby pins are. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your journey. :)

I'm excited to buy some cute new claw clips :)
And other hair toys, but I really don't know much about them, nor their names in my native language, nor really where to buy them, so that will take a little figuring out
Thank you :)

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 03:41 PM

I understand your view and I really prefer to wear my hair down also, but it's not really long yet and I don't elaborate updos
I suggest you look up threads about this (on Google or the search bar), there has been a few threads about this on this forum that I found to be very enlightening
Like this one: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118379

ravenskey
October 5th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I see, and you do this with dry hair, right?
Loved it, you're full of good ideas :)

Yep, this is with dry hair (for me anyway) if I did it with wet hair shudder: Even with fully down my hair generally takes about 8-9 hours to fully dry, in a load of plaits it wouldn't be dry until the next day!

Wendyclaire
October 5th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Maybe LHC isn't the right place for you if you're going to say women shouldn't do something because it makes them look older.
Sorry, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t understand why my comment would cause you to say that. Women talk about their hair and how they look on this forum all the time. I didn’t say women shouldn’t wear their hair in buns. I don’t care what a woman wants to do with their hair. I just don’t like it for me! Jeez!

Ligeia Noire
October 5th, 2018, 04:37 PM
My hair is calf length and I cannot really wear it down all the time but even when it was at waist I preferred it up because I am small and it makes me look more put together and actually taller and enhances my face features but above all because I love it up. I don't think, in the slightest, that it makes one look older by definition, quite the opposite. I see many women and men with bsl hair just hanging around their faces that actually makes them look older and tired way more than, let's say a simple cinnamon bun would...
I am sure you will change your perspective once you get acquainted with the place here. The "wearing your hair up all the time even though you have it long makes little sense" is something outsiders say a lot because they don't go through the process of growing their hair and the learning that comes with it. There are so many beautiful buns and intricate updos, that are actually not that hard to learn, that makes the long hair journey a very exciting and appealing one.
Some of us love to wear it up, some of us love to wear it down. You do you. However after certain lengths, you don't really have a choice if you want to keep it long. It does not mean we don't wear it down. It means we choose when to do it.

Wendyclaire
October 5th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I understand your view and I really prefer to wear my hair down also, but it's not really long yet and I don't elaborate updos
I suggest you look up threads about this (on Google or the search bar), there has been a few threads about this on this forum that I found to be very enlightening
Like this one: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118379
Thanks. I guess I offended someone else so.... thanks again.

lithostoic
October 5th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Sorry, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t understand why my comment would cause you to say that. Women talk about their hair and how they look on this forum all the time. I didn’t say women shouldn’t wear their hair in buns. I don’t care what a woman wants to do with their hair. I just don’t like it for me! Jeez!

That's not how your post reads, at all. Pardon me for misunderstanding but you should choose your words more carefully.

elfynity
October 5th, 2018, 04:47 PM
our hair type loses its form somewhat easily, if we want our hair really wavy (tighter wave pattern), we have to encourage the wave formation, and if I bun or braid my hair, that wave pattern will loosen and become straighter

I imagine that since having really long hair naturally weights down the hair, causing the waves to be more loose, maybe this is not a concern for most of you?

Hi VenusianMane, braids leave my hair in a frizzed mess, especially since they add curl over my existing ringlets, it's really a bad outcome and I avoid braids now. Buns on the other hand work very well with my natural curl and allow my curls to just be and keep their formation intact even if my bun is firm.

I have recently figured out that after patting my hair from excess water and then allowing my hair to dry completely on it's own without any handling (curly girl method but I don't scrunch) that my curls and spirals once dry are set and just bounce back always. So, for me, my curls never weaken and get less curly, I just cannot brush them because if I do, they will become frizzy.

If you are losing your waves, I would recommend spraying some water on it with a spray bottle until it is damp, but not wet and let it dry on it's own. That should bring your natural waves back well.

I don't want to make my hair any curlier or straighter, I just don't want frizz - so braiding is out!

My hair is only BSL, but already the hair by my roots is straighter than the rest from the weight of my hair. Oh well!

I hope all this helps you!

Hi Wendyclaire, I don't personally attach old to buns in my opinion, but I have grown to love buns alot more since I know that if I don't get my hair up in protective styling that it just wont grow because it will get damaged. I cannot wear braids as my hair goes into major frizz if I do, so that is out of the question, and ponytails are the absolute worst for breakage - and they don't even protect your ends. If I don't wear my hair in a bun most of the time I will not have long hair to show off on special occasions. You kind of have a choice: either hair down and damaged ends / slow growth OR hair up and long healthy hair.

By all means, if you like braids more, then I recommend those for you - it wouldn't be a good idea for you to put your hair up in a bun feeling that it would make you look old, you need to feel comfortable with what you like.

lapushka
October 5th, 2018, 04:59 PM

I wear it in a bun all the time when I'm up, and no, it doesn't make me look at least 10 years older. Au contraire. People have mistaken me for a retired ballerina. Ballerina's are elegant, no? You wouldn't say they looked at least 10 years older. ;)

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 05:17 PM
My hair is calf length and I cannot really wear it down all the time but even when it was at waist I preferred it up because I am small and it makes me look more put together and actually taller and enhances my face features but above all because I love it up. I don't think, in the slightest, that it makes one look older by definition, quite the opposite. I see many women and men with bsl hair just hanging around their faces that actually makes them look older and tired way more than, let's say a simple cinnamon bun would...
I am sure you will change your perspective once you get acquainted with the place here. The "wearing your hair up all the time even though you have it long makes little sense" is something outsiders say a lot because they don't go through the process of growing their hair and the learning that comes with it. There are so many beautiful buns and intricate updos, that are actually not that hard to learn, that makes the long hair journey a very exciting and appealing one.
Some of us love to wear it up, some of us love to wear it down. You do you. However after certain lengths, you don't really have a choice if you want to keep it long. It does not mean we don't wear it down. It means we choose when to do it.

This is actually one of my concerns about having long hair since I like to wear it down + around my face, some people say that it drags one's face down, the hair consumes the person etc, I'm not sure if I'm small, I've been called that, but I think I'm medium sized (in hight anyway) but I believe I have some small facial features, so I really don't know if longer hair will look good on me, we' ll see, I just hope I don't cut it before giving it a good chance
I really like the idea of updos, on rare occasions where I've wore them, people were really surprised and remarked how beautiful I looked, which was really nice :)
But I feel updos on me are kind of a hit or miss, sometimes I think I look beautiful on them, other times I think I look ugly, but anyway
My bf definitely prefers me with my hair down, and I do to, but I really want to learn and be able to make pretty updos!

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Hi VenusianMane, braids leave my hair in a frizzed mess, especially since they add curl over my existing ringlets, it's really a bad outcome and I avoid braids now. Buns on the other hand work very well with my natural curl and allow my curls to just be and keep their formation intact even if my bun is firm.

I have recently figured out that after patting my hair from excess water and then allowing my hair to dry completely on it's own without any handling (curly girl method but I don't scrunch) that my curls and spirals once dry are set and just bounce back always. So, for me, my curls never weaken and get less curly, I just cannot brush them because if I do, they will become frizzy.

If you are losing your waves, I would recommend spraying some water on it with a spray bottle until it is damp, but not wet and let it dry on it's own. That should bring your natural waves back well.

I don't want to make my hair any curlier or straighter, I just don't want frizz - so braiding is out!

My hair is only BSL, but already the hair by my roots is straighter than the rest from the weight of my hair. Oh well!

I hope all this helps you!

So sad that braids have that effect on you!
I really hope I can make them work as I find them beautiful

That's interesting about the buns, looks like all one coukd ask for! What type of bun do you do for that?

I will try those things out, thanks :)
I've been actually been meaning to try stop scrunching my hair to see how it turns out after I wash it and such, but I don't know if it would be like your case, since I'm 2b, but we'll see!

nycelle
October 5th, 2018, 05:27 PM
I'm a 2a/2b and I also lose my waves by the second day. Sleeping in a silk hair cap doesn't help even though I don't bun or braid
Unfortunately, nothing works other than re-wetting and styling. Either by scrunching, finger coiling or whatever your routine happens to be.

I'm not as careful with my hair like so many here, but my goal is waist. If you're not going for terminal, but rather waist or hip, then you should be able to wear it down and still get to those lengths without much damage.

elfynity
October 5th, 2018, 05:52 PM
So sad that braids have that effect on you!
I really hope I can make them work as I find them beautiful

That's interesting about the buns, looks like all one coukd ask for! What type of bun do you do for that?

I will try those things out, thanks :)
I've been actually been meaning to try stop scrunching my hair to see how it turns out after I wash it and such, but I don't know if it would be like your case, since I'm 2b, but we'll see!

About the braids - I know right! I think they are so cute and I just can't wear them unless I plan to do a full wash.

the bun - I actually just twist my hair and then twirl it round itself and make a knot, and then wrap the ends around and tuck it under itself. I don't know what that would be called, but it means I can have my hair up without any help. And this type of bun actually seems to enhance my curls somehow. My hair just really likes it, it literally bounces out of it.

I know, 2c has those ringlets but I also have a lot of waves too - I have both. What I found with the scrunching is that it breaks up all my waves and ringlets and makes my hair very stringy and ultra messy. Not a good look at all for me! What I like to do is take a curl, preen it for a bit (so rub down from the root to the tip gently) which smooths out the hairs, and then I can twist that curl / wave around my finger for a bit and then let it go. It enhances them.

The thing that works the absolute best though is being caught in the rain! I can't force rain, so I just use my water sprayer!

Corvana
October 5th, 2018, 06:45 PM
I find it funny, for me, that I don't care all that much about keeping my pattern. I used to think my hair was straight, so of course I didn't care then, but then I learned it was wavy (or perhaps swavy, straight wavy? :laugh:) and cared just enough to see it as it dried, and for length shots, but after that not at all! I really like having it out of my way, and I like to put it up quickly and easily. That used to be pigtails, but now it's a disc bun or LWB. They take me maybe 45 seconds, and it's great.

I do still like when my hair is down, I sleep with it down. When I get up in the morning I like feeling it on my back, and maybe an hour or two before bed I take it down and oil it a little and brush it. But I just can't stand it being down all day, and that means that I can't keep my wave pattern all day every day. That's fine with me, honestly! I know that it's still there if I wanted it back, so it not being there obviously all the time is fine.

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 08:35 PM
About the braids - I know right! I think they are so cute and I just can't wear them unless I plan to do a full wash.

the bun - I actually just twist my hair and then twirl it round itself and make a knot, and then wrap the ends around and tuck it under itself. I don't know what that would be called, but it means I can have my hair up without any help. And this type of bun actually seems to enhance my curls somehow. My hair just really likes it, it literally bounces out of it.

I know, 2c has those ringlets but I also have a lot of waves too - I have both. What I found with the scrunching is that it breaks up all my waves and ringlets and makes my hair very stringy and ultra messy. Not a good look at all for me! What I like to do is take a curl, preen it for a bit (so rub down from the root to the tip gently) which smooths out the hairs, and then I can twist that curl / wave around my finger for a bit and then let it go. It enhances them.

The thing that works the absolute best though is being caught in the rain! I can't force rain, so I just use my water sprayer!

That's very interesting, I'll give it a try!
I've been compulsively scrunching my hair for so long now, it's like I even can't not do it lol
So funny about the rain! Never heard of someone's hair liking it haha :)

VenusianMane
October 5th, 2018, 08:40 PM
I find it funny, for me, that I don't care all that much about keeping my pattern. I used to think my hair was straight, so of course I didn't care then, but then I learned it was wavy (or perhaps swavy, straight wavy? :laugh:) and cared just enough to see it as it dried, and for length shots, but after that not at all! I really like having it out of my way, and I like to put it up quickly and easily. That used to be pigtails, but now it's a disc bun or LWB. They take me maybe 45 seconds, and it's great.

I do still like when my hair is down, I sleep with it down. When I get up in the morning I like feeling it on my back, and maybe an hour or two before bed I take it down and oil it a little and brush it. But I just can't stand it being down all day, and that means that I can't keep my wave pattern all day every day. That's fine with me, honestly! I know that it's still there if I wanted it back, so it not being there obviously all the time is fine.

I'll look into the buns you said, maybe I can do them since we have similar hair lengths
I understand even I get a little annoyed by my hair and put it up, but that's only when I'm in my house and always a ponytail wirh a hair bungee, which mostly preserves the wave pattern
I like your perspective!

Corvana
October 5th, 2018, 10:50 PM
I'll look into the buns you said, maybe I can do them since we have similar hair lengths
I understand even I get a little annoyed by my hair and put it up, but that's only when I'm in my house and always a ponytail wirh a hair bungee, which mostly preserves the wave pattern
I like your perspective!

I think you might be able to do the disc bun, but if not you should be able to soon! Since you split your hair in half before you wrap it around, the thickness is less restricting on how much you can wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

Here's a tutorial, but I'll tell you how I modified it! Instead of holding the bits separate with my index finger, I use the rest of my fingers and reach over my index to hold the hair. That's because I wrap it around just my index (although now I can use my index and middle fingers) since it's not long enough for me to have enough hair to wrap it around more than that. It took me a little practice (but not too much, it's really easy!), but now I can get it up in about 45 seconds (this is the bun I timed once out of curiosity, the LWB is faster, although less stable for me right now).

Joules
October 6th, 2018, 02:34 AM

That's a kind of mentality that we're trying to fight here. I mean the mentality that requires women to show off whatever they've got, otherwise why do you need it in the first place?

Well, I'm growing long hair because I like it long. It doesn't mean I have to demonstrate it at all times, just like someone with great legs doesn't have to wear mini skirts and shorts, "I'm not here to decorate your world". I like my hair long and I love my braided updos, I like the feeling of my hair being contained and exposing my neck, end of story, I don't have to comply to standards. If you love wearing your hair down - that's great, just keep in mind it's gonna cause some damage, but if your length goal is something average and easily achievable like Waist it's not even gonna matter to you.

Besides, when your hair is long enough ponytails and braids don't cut it anymore (no pun intended, lol). Sometimes you just have to have it all up.

The point that buns make us look 10 years older...well, that was rude. No one ever mistaken me for an older woman (in fact, buying alcohol is still a struggle).

VenusianMane
October 6th, 2018, 06:17 AM
I think you might be able to do the disc bun, but if not you should be able to soon! Since you split your hair in half before you wrap it around, the thickness is less restricting on how much you can wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ

Here's a tutorial, but I'll tell you how I modified it! Instead of holding the bits separate with my index finger, I use the rest of my fingers and reach over my index to hold the hair. That's because I wrap it around just my index (although now I can use my index and middle fingers) since it's not long enough for me to have enough hair to wrap it around more than that. It took me a little practice (but not too much, it's really easy!), but now I can get it up in about 45 seconds (this is the bun I timed once out of curiosity, the LWB is faster, although less stable for me right now).

Loved this, thank you so much! Great tip about just wrapping on the index finger
I've never used a hair stick or anything like that, so I have much to learn haha
I'll see if I can buy one today and start to experiment :)

elfynity
October 6th, 2018, 02:38 PM
"I'm not here to decorate your world".
OMG! I love love love this!

chantecler
October 6th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Gonna add my voice to the chorus, I only wear my hair in its natural wave pattern on the day I washed it, because it doesn't hold any longer than that anyways. I am a hair always bunned kind of gal myself, so I enjoy a day of pretty waves and then up it goes.

Also, I agree, I don't grow my hair for anyone else's sake, I love my hair long in great part because of updos. I am not gonna wash my hair more often than necessary just for someone else's esthetic standards, neither will I wear it down and in the way for that reason.
I've actually had a pretty terrible experience with an old man at my job in a self picking strawberry field this summer that came very regularly and always told me I was prettier with my hair down, complaining that I was putting it up just because he complimented me on it. He was half joking, but I'm not gonna sweat my neck off in a strawberry field in a heat wave just because you think I look better with my hair down. Sheesh.

SallySue
October 16th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Ever since I learned to start embracing/enhancing my wave pattern (2b/c but looks more like 3a when styled) I wear braids a LOT less often. The main reason is that I just can't separate it into sections for a braid if I've already styled it to be wavy. However, if I need to protect it, say, if I'm going to do something active, I will condition and detangle it specifically to put it straight into a braid or two. IMO braids are more comfortable than buns because they don't place as much weight on the roots.

Also, I don't really mind the look of the stretched-out waves from taking braids out. It's kind of fun to see my hair looking longer than normal with a little crimped pattern. If you use a leave in product before you braid it shouldn't get too frizzy that way.

desisparkles
October 16th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Great thread! I am new to knowing I have wavy hair (curly girl method 7 months now) and also new to this forum where I've learned about protective styling, etc.

When I go all out and style with scrunching and gels and carefully air drying down my hair doesn't last a full day without losing most of it's wave so although I love that look it's a bit too much work for me at this point in my life.

I've been sticking to the curly girl method but only using a leave in or cream and a little argan oil after my showers. Then I put it in my microfiber turbie twist until damp then doing double buns or a single.

I didn't think I would lose my curl pattern by not scrunching etc but I sure hope not. I'm excited to see what my waves look like when they are longer. I was at hip length before I knew I was wavy - which I cut to pixie before starting CG so I'm so curious as to how my hair will look with the proper products and attention.

I like the look of when I take it down from the bun though, it's def an old hollywood style kind of curl/wave and when I wear a little makeup which I love to do but not everyday I feel it looks like I spent a lot of time on it when I really didn't.

VenusianMane
October 16th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Ever since I learned to start embracing/enhancing my wave pattern (2b/c but looks more like 3a when styled) I wear braids a LOT less often. The main reason is that I just can't separate it into sections for a braid if I've already styled it to be wavy. However, if I need to protect it, say, if I'm going to do something active, I will condition and detangle it specifically to put it straight into a braid or two. IMO braids are more comfortable than buns because they don't place as much weight on the roots.

Also, I don't really mind the look of the stretched-out waves from taking braids out. It's kind of fun to see my hair looking longer than normal with a little crimped pattern. If you use a leave in product before you braid it shouldn't get too frizzy that way.

Why can't you separate your hair into sections for braiding in that case? Is it because it gets really tangled?
I actually realized that I have no idea if my hair gets really tangled or something like that, if it does I don't notice it and apparently I don't care, I wonder if this is something I should be worried about

*Wednesday*
October 16th, 2018, 06:50 PM

I wear my hair in a bun and I'm not "aged" 10 years. Unless you're chicken necked...be real.
Ponytail...good grief. I'm not impressed. Buns are sexy and elegant as well as fun.

VenusianMane
October 16th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Great thread! I am new to knowing I have wavy hair (curly girl method 7 months now) and also new to this forum where I've learned about protective styling, etc.

When I go all out and style with scrunching and gels and carefully air drying down my hair doesn't last a full day without losing most of it's wave so although I love that look it's a bit too much work for me at this point in my life.

I've been sticking to the curly girl method but only using a leave in or cream and a little argan oil after my showers. Then I put it in my microfiber turbie twist until damp then doing double buns or a single.

I didn't think I would lose my curl pattern by not scrunching etc but I sure hope not. I'm excited to see what my waves look like when they are longer. I was at hip length before I knew I was wavy - which I cut to pixie before starting CG so I'm so curious as to how my hair will look with the proper products and attention.

I like the look of when I take it down from the bun though, it's def an old hollywood style kind of curl/wave and when I wear a little makeup which I love to do but not everyday I feel it looks like I spent a lot of time on it when I really didn't.

I definitely understand the too much work bit, at this time in my life I have a lot of time to dedicate to styling my hair, so I don't know if I'll be able to maintain that in the future

Do you always bun your hair when damp? So you don't wear your hair at its most wavy?
I'm curious about the results of doing a bun or braid on damp hair (assuming my hair would manage to dry), but I never get around to doing it because if it doesn't turn out good it would be so much time wasted lol, but some day maybe

You won't lose your pattern if you don't scrunch, it's just not going to be as wavy as if you did, it's more a matter of not gaining instead of losing, if that makes sense!

That sounds fabulous :)
Good luck on your journey!

desisparkles
October 16th, 2018, 09:15 PM

I definitely understand the too much work bit, at this time in my life I have a lot of time to dedicate to styling my hair, so I don't know if I'll be able to maintain that in the future

Do you always bun your hair when damp? So you don't wear your hair at its most wavy?
I'm curious about the results of doing a bun or braid on damp hair (assuming my hair would manage to dry), but I never get around to doing it because if it doesn't turn out good it would be so much time wasted lol, but some day maybe

You won't lose your pattern if you don't scrunch, it's just not going to be as wavy as if you did, it's more a matter of not gaining instead of losing, if that makes sense!

That sounds fabulous :)
Good luck on your journey!

aw thanks. I just started wearing it up in the damp bun the last couple weeks. I just needed a break from styling as I went overboard plus I have a lil bebe who pulls at it when it is and I'm tenderheaded so it's pretty painful for me. I'm patiently waiting for the days I can do my half top knots again and swoosh the waves around, hahaha.

GrowlingCupcake
October 17th, 2018, 12:40 AM
The only way for me to keep my waves is to not touch my hair at all after a wash which is a big no. My hair looks incredibly messy unless brushed or combed. So I go for braid or bun waves instead.

I agree that buns make people look older, especially if they're buns with no braiding near the hairline or the like to soften it.* I also don't like how buns look on me; I think I look better with hair framing my face. But they're far more practical, comfortable, and neat. I usually end up wearing a hair band as well because I frequently have short new strands that like to poke me in the eye or nose, so that softens the updo. Pony tails just annoy me with the swishing on my skin, and I find braiding at my length to be too difficult. Plus, I'm shooting for terminal so I need to protect my ends. Honestly, it's all about your end goals, and what you like.

* I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. 'Older' to me can also be more dignified, more elegant, more composed/put together, etc.

MusicalSpoons
October 17th, 2018, 04:52 AM

For me, a braid or ponytail is not 'out of the way'. It's really, really not. It's also not protective, and I know from before I joined here that if I don't protect it, it will not grow this long! I hate having hair in my face too - even as a child I chose to wear my hair back all the time, not loose.

So to answer your question, 'why put it in a bun all the time?': Because I want to :) Yes there are many factors, but they all filter into the same reason - I want to.

cjk
October 17th, 2018, 09:12 AM
IN my case I prefer a braid for two reasons.

First, it's out of the way. It's protective. It contains my hair, mechanically, and without chemicals like hairspray.

Second, it looks nice. Braids are almost universally viewed as an intentional style and present a very professional image. I adjust the braid, or braids, to style differently and best show off my hair.

Why have the hair if it's contained? Because in order to contain it you must have enough to achieve those styles. Chicken and the egg paradox.

Calarkmom
November 11th, 2018, 08:18 PM
I will often wear my hair down the day of washing it and maybe the next day so I can enjoy my natural wave pattern. However, in general my hair bugs me when it's down getting in my face and tickling my skin, so I like to have it up. I like that putting it up smooths out the surface frizz along with straightening my wave pattern.

This is what I do too!

Curlyeve
November 12th, 2018, 06:25 AM
I usually wear my hair down the first day after washing it, and all the following days in the braid or in bun. That way I get the best of both worlds. I can enjoy my hair down and wavy, and I still am protecting it the other days of the week. I am sure, I would have healthier hair, if it would be contained all the time, but my hair has to bring me joy. And that means wearing it down from time to time.

Wildcat Diva
November 12th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Whenever I want to enjoy the texture of my hair, I can wash it and style it and let it dry and and wear it down. In order to keep it long, it’s got to be out of the way and safe most of the time or it will get damaged, and I’ll need to cut it shorter to get rid of that damage. I don’t want that. I also enjoy wearing it up and out of the way.

Much like I enjoy wearing make up for a special occasion but don’t wear it most days. I look fine without it, and I look fine in a bun.

Alternatively, I can wear any of a choice of
many hundred BAD A$$ hair sticks or forks that I have collected for years in my updo, including a simple bun. These please me to no end and often draw much attention and admiration.

So I am pleased to have any of these options, long hair worn down with lovely wavy texture, up in a simple, functional plain bun, or a simple updo with a beautiful accessory (or as complicated as I am in the mood for).

It’s all good.

WyntreBlossom
November 12th, 2018, 09:11 PM
My hair is naturally pretty straight with very slight waves. I like the look that a damp braid gives my hair when I crave wavyness, but most of the time I prefer the loose waves I get from buns as it keeps my length, adds texture, looks better with my weird color (from growing out color), and is less frizzy. I have a bad habit of brushing a lot, and brushing a bun wave is less disastrous than brushing out braid waves when it comes to poof and frizz XD

akurah
November 12th, 2018, 10:20 PM
I see

I can't speak to the person you're asking, but if you bun your hair wet and have any kind of length, it won't dry. It takes at least a day loose for my hair to dry (I don't blowdry), and if I bun, it doesn't dry. I imagine most people you ask with long hair will report the same.

As for waves being lost from bunning or braiding--I lost some waves from sheer weight and length, and I find bunning and braiding helps encourage them to come back out again.