PDA

View Full Version : What is the most important thing you have done to get & maintain healthy hair?

Goose
November 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Whether it's specific hair products/styling methods/oils/ vitamins etc......what has made the most difference in the health of your hair.

I am starting out with damaged hair and my goal is to have beautiful, healthy hair.... :D

Curlsgirl
November 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
If it HAD to be one thing I would say using the heat every day. Stopping the brushing and only using a wide tooth seamless comb gently is a close second.

Isilme
November 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Two things, no more chemical colours, and no brush tempting me to rip trough my hair.

galleth
November 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
No more heat styling, and stopping shampoo. :D

amaiaisabella
November 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Chemical coloring for me :) So many of our members use chemical color and are able to maintain strong, healthy hair, but I am not one of them. Course, it probably didn't help that I was coloring (roots AND length) every 3 weeks, so I've definitely seen a change!

Periwinkle
November 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Wearing my hair up in different ways. Prior to this site, I wore it in a ponytail 24/7, whereas now I only use hair-friendly elastics and often put my hair up in braids or buns, which are much more protective.

And also stopping ripping through with a brush/being horrible to it when it's wet.

Amara
November 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Wearing my hair up about 80% of the time has made the biggest difference. Reducing tangles and therefore breakage and splits.

Akiko
November 3rd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Henna has improved the condition of my hair tremendously. More shine and strength. But it is not for everyone, I know.

I also stopped heat styling. My hair is not frizzy any more.

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Before I came here I was using a very harsh shampoo because my hair would get super oily. I had started using it because it also helped with some thinning I was having, but I had gotten than under control with Synthroid, but I kept using the shampoo because it got my hair so clean and it smelled so good :)

A side effect of getting ultra squeaky clean was that my hair was pretty fragile and broke easily. I learned here that my hair was extra oily that BECAUSE of the harsh shampoo. So, I started using more gentle methods to wash my hair. Not only am I not a greaseball any more, but my hair started actually growing and it is in good shape.

So, I'd have to say ditching the harsh cleaners made the biggest difference I've seen.

Ohio Sky
November 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Coconut oil, without question. :)

Aisha25
November 3rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
I say basically giving my hair what it wanted henna,honey and stopped doing what I wanted for them has made them more healthier than ever.

Siava
November 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
No heat and mostly fingercombing.

BlndeInDisguise
November 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
No brushing and more moisture and washing the ends less.

LaurelSpring
November 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Definately heat styling.

girlcat36
November 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Going cone-free, with out doubt!
I thought my hair had reached terminal length above BSL. I tried growing out for 17 years and couldn't get to BSL, even. I had no idea that cone products were causing my hair to break off on the ends. Since going cone-free, I do not have tiny broken hairs on my bathroom counter, or split ends.

lolabee
November 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
No heat, no shampoo, weekly dustings... Ive only been doing this about 1 month but theres definitely a HUGE improvement!!! THANK YOU LHC

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
what on earth is dusting. I havent heard this term here yet.

Do you know I've spent every waking hour on here for the last 4 days :bigeyes:

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Giving up harsh brushing and oiling with EV Olive Oil/Coconut oil have helped mine

lora410
November 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
No heat,cold water rinses, shower head filter,no sulfates or harsh chemicals, lots of oiling, deep treamtents, and vitamins to keep my body healthy

lora410
November 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
what on earth is dusting. I havent heard this term here yet.

Dusting is a form of self trimming. You take off a teeny tiny amount off the ends just to snip the splits. P.S LHC obsession is normal at first ;)

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Dusting is a form of self trimming. You take off a teeny tiny amount off the ends just to snip the splits. P.S LHC obsession is normal at first ;)

Gosh I dont think I'd have the guts to trim my hair. Its layered as well so that would be difficult in itself.

I'm glad you said "at first" by the way. Does that mean I can assume I will grow out of this new obsession?

I ask because I think hubby is beginning to notice he isn't getting fed and that the house is a mess LOL

Goose
Thanks for all the responses so far - I am so appreciative of the information you have given me....I love the forum...oh, and thanks for making me feel so welcome. :eek:

mommy101405
I would say giving up on the heat so far is the best. I am still working on some of the other things. If I can get past shampooing daily I think it would help a lot.

ssjhotau2
November 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Coconut oil, without question. :)

Seconded. And I use a comb now. I didn't realize how much hair I lost to my deceptively innocent brush until I came here.

Raven69
November 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hah, why are so many people's against brushes? That's the only way I can get all the tangles out - my hair is more stubborn than I am...if that's possible! Besides I never have time to 'gently' comb out the tangles with a comb. I usually only use a comb to part my hair and smooth it down. It would take too long due to my hair's length...and I usually only get up like 30 min or less and if possible before having to be to work. If I am lucky, I can get up an hour and a half before work, but that is rare. And even as much hair I shed a day...that much more grows back faster...oddly. I guess when I get in my mid 30's to 40's I will stop using the brush and only use the comb or fingers. Well maybe before then, cause with this job, I have to be to work as earlier as 6 am. Wiht a civilian job I might be able to come in later around 9 hopefully...

Okay sorry for the long speil. Growing up, since it was cheaper to buy the family pack - I was forced to use Aussie shampoo and conditioner. Now at first Aussie was great for me, but as I stated earlier - my hair has a temperment. My hair started feeling coarse and sometimes oily and just downright awful! Then I got my mom to change up the shampoo & Conditioner to Sauve and Vof/Vos(?) Can't recall the name. And my hair seemed better. SO ever since then, I try to switch up the shampoos and conditioners every now and then. Coincidentally I end up with at least 3-4 sometimes 5 shampoos and conditioners. One or two sets might be near empty, half way empty while two others are just at the middle or just opened.

I find if I can give my hair as much moisture as possible, it seems fine. It really likes anything silky and with milk. I currently live in a dry area with humidity so my hair gets all gross if it doesn't have that extra moisture/moisturizer. When I went to Hawaii at age 15, I was unprepared and spent the two weeks unhappy there cause I couldn't do anything with my nappy hair that was nearly waist length (the longest my parents had EVER allowed me to grow it out)...now I know better!

Anathema
November 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I really haven't made any big changes in my regim since I found this place, but I think I have to thank myself a lot for never being a frequent brush-user, ever.

Goose
November 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Can you tell me how you are using the coconut oil?
On damp/wet/or dry hair?
Do you leave in it for a little while and then S&C it out or CO it out?
How often do you use it?
What have you noticed by using it?

FYI: Coconut oil is the best thing I have used on my skin....

Magicknthenight
November 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Lets see...i made a lot of changes. Back a couple years i blew dry it everyday. Then i stopped (years ago also). It has been a slow process of taking better care of it.
I think since joining TLHC...wearing it up has really reduced the split ends ^-^

cocolover
November 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
So far, getting rid of all chemical hair products. With exception of the henna I was using every few months, nothing else that goes on my hair has any chemicals of any kind in it. It has given me a whole new head of hair and that is what inspired me to grow it out, I actually like my hair now :) I had the same hairdresser for 12 years and she noticed a huge difference when I quit using chemicals. She said it was like completely different hair.
I'm new to LHC, so I'm hoping all that I'm learning on here will give me another hair transformation!

Melisande
November 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Ditched: Styling mousse. Brush. Chemical dye.

Use instead: Sheabutter. Dampbunning. Plant dye.

Full success!!!

DecafJane
November 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I have stopped using a straightener, and avoided salons and all colours. :D

ssjhotau2
November 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Can you tell me how you are using the coconut oil?
On damp/wet/or dry hair?
Do you leave in it for a little while and then S&C it out or CO it out?
How often do you use it?
What have you noticed by using it?

FYI: Coconut oil is the best thing I have used on my skin....

I use it on my hair after it has dried. Its easier for me to tell how much to use that way, otherwise I tend to over do it. I use it every morning before I comb my hair, then small amounts throughout the day when I can, then more again after I comb and braid for bed.

I CO about every other day and I don't do anything special, but I S&C about once a week and the night before I over oil my hair to let it soak while I sleep.

Magicknthenight
November 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Does that mean I can assume I will grow out of this new obsession?

I dunno!! I'm still obsessed!:smirk:

Thrasher07
November 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
...Oh, also I give my hair a cold rinse after washing, that helps :D

Comfrey
November 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I dunno!! I'm still obsessed!

I'm dooooomed :shocked:

fleurdelis
November 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Using conditioner (now mixed with honey) after every washing :)
Welcome!

Bianca
November 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
I use henna now instead of chemical color, I dont brush hair while wet, I dont use blowdryer or flatiron, I dont use shampoos with SLS, and I avoid cones, I use oil everyday. My ends have been bleached twice and colored a million times, but they look alright, I like to think that it's because I take such good care of it.
I'm pretty sure it would be like straw if I didn't :)

Eden Iris
November 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
1. Put it up every day and forget about it. Now it's not tangling and requiring endless brushing to keep it neat.

2. No more silicone products. I use oil (coconut and olive) instead.

mew
November 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Biggest change for me: brushing my hair daily with a good brush (not that horrid plastic thingy), and using conditioner on the length. I used to hardly comb at all, and then tear out loads of hair when it was all tangled and messy. Also: no chemicals (using squirt-in henna now) and more updos.
Good luck growing :)

RavennaNight
November 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
I would say henna totally fixed my hair's texture. I can go out in the rain, walk back in, and not turn into a flooffy pouffy doofy fluffball. Not flat ironing also has helped. Coconut oil and aloe gel have really helped keep my hair moisturized as well.

rhodochrosite
November 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
First, I stopped using more chemical colors, which made a tremendous difference in color and shine and depth. Cutting out heat styling stopped a good amount of the frizz, and trimming the damaged hair off has helped my hair feel softer all the way to the ends.

Golden21
November 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
I love coconut oil. I use the night before I wash then wash it out in the morning.

Curlsgirl
November 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM

I'm glad you said "at first" by the way. Does that mean I can assume I will grow out of this new obsession?

I ask because I think hubby is beginning to notice he isn't getting fed and that the house is a mess LOL

I dunno!! I'm still obsessed!:smirk:

Oh yeah. It only took me about 2 years to get over that. :p

ChloeDharma
November 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I can't say just one thing really, though if i had to i'd say giving up chemical colouring...my hair just can't take it.
The rest, giving up shampoo, soaking my hair in oil...mainly coconut but i use other oils too. I never use flat irons or heat style my hair. Now the last of the damage has been cut off keeping my hair in good condition is quite easy.

ETA Comfrey, i've been a member for 4 years and i'm still addicted! When i'm not on here i'm still thinking about hair or skin related stuff.....trips to the supermarket are much more interesting now! ;)

Haith
November 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I stopped washing my hair every day, and that has made the biggest difference for me. Cutting out cones is a close second. I have never really heat styled, but if I did I'm sure that would have been my number 1.

Tangles
November 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
SELF-TRIMMING! Frequent microtrims are a godsend to me and so many others on here.

Also, just tuning into what my hair wants & needs at different times, and accepting that the same routine will not work forever.

Kirin
November 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Brushing my hair daily with a boar's bristle brush. My hair only seems to grow if i brush it nightly (like my gramma said!) but I never did until I came here, tried combing only and it stalled out flat.

Carrot oil used every other night in a light oiling. Aloe Vera gel as a leave in on occassion works wonders!

Aries_jb
November 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Definitely switching to a seamless comb to detangle as well as wearing my hair up more often to protect from breakage. I still wear it down, but when I do it looks a lot healthier and makes a bigger impact because of that. :) Can you tell I'm very happy with my hair lately? Now only if there were more of it to love...

Elphie
November 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Two things tie for making the biggest difference: giving up my blowdryer and using coconut oil. Reducing my washing habits to every other day/every third day and CWC would certainly be next in line.

Flying Betty
November 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
!!!!!!!!!!

Elanor
November 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
My recipe is gentle handling (updos, no blow fryer, no brushing, minimum handling when wet...) and long SMT sessions :)

Comfrey
November 4th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure if I should have started a different thread, but .......

I know I read somewhere here about scissors, but how do you self trim? It sounds like a job for the hairdresser to me. I'd be so scared to do it.

Also I know you have members with FMS (I joined the group :D), so how do you manage it when your hair is only just waist length, and bra length in places too (mines layered). I cant get my arms round properly :rolleyes:

purplebubba
November 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure if I should have started a different thread, but .......

I know I read somewhere here about scissors, but how do you self trim? It sounds like a job for the hairdresser to me. I'd be so scared to do it.

Also I know you have members with FMS (I joined the group :D), so how do you manage it when your hair is only just waist length, and bra length in places too (mines layered). I cant get my arms round properly :rolleyes:

Many people are using the methods at this page
Feye's Self Trimming Instructions
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Comfrey
November 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Gosh thank you :)

Does that work for thick layered hair too? As I say I'd be really worried about doing it myself, I have this terror of ending up with my hair ending up like it had been cut with shears :rolleyes:

Monsterkitti
November 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Throwing my straighteners in a cupboard and not using them for 3months :)

That and coconut oiling, wearing hair up a lot and long SMT's.

sahiba
November 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I joined LHC. :redgrin: Seriously , and after that the list is endless... started oiling, started conditioning, finger combing ,etc. :writer:

MissMaryMac
November 4th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I stopped blow drying my hair daily and usually just leave it alone. I think it's the reason my hair is so long and usually so healthy looking.:)

Siava
November 4th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Hah, why are so many people's against brushes?

:) I miss brushing and can do it if I put my hair up damp so it's not curly when I take it down. There's no way I'll rake a brush through curls though. The snapping makes me cringe. The breakage makes me cry. I do love brushing though. It feels nice.

Sammybunny711
November 4th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Let's see, no brushing--only combing...LOTS of vitamins (helps both hair and PCOS), making sure it has enough moisture (started conditioning every shampoo)...however, now I am trying CV shampoo bars with a vinegar rinse so I hope my hair is getting enough moisture...we shall see. I love the way my hair feels thicker with them!

Oh yeah, also no blowfrying!!! (AT ALL)

Katze
November 4th, 2008, 06:04 AM
stopping color and bleach and heat.

More moisture! SMTs, leave-in, CWC washing, oil, misting...all have their benefits.

I am one who can brush but only in moderation, and only when I don't plan on wearing my hair down. When I first came here, I had to re-learn to comb my hair and be gentle with it; now I have graduated to occasional BBBing.

The most important thing I learned is that it all depends on hair type, skin chemistry, lifestyle, etc. and that you need to find what works for YOU.

peace

Katze

Samikha
November 4th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Whether it's specific hair products/styling methods/oils/ vitamins etc......what has made the most difference in the health of your hair.

I am starting out with damaged hair and my goal is to have beautiful, healthy hair.... :D

The biggest difference has been in learning how my hair works and what gives this or that effect. Now I actually know what's wrong and what to do when there's a problem, even if the source is hard to eliminate sometimes.

To me, stopping the cones (most of them, anyway) long before I came here helped a great deal. Herbal Essences should be SHOT for what they did to my hair.

Stopping sulfate shampoos - hopefully CO will make my hair just as happy, we'll have to see;)

Learning what protein and moisture actually did to my hair, and stopping overdosing on protein. Lots of moisture, lots of conditioner, lots of SMTs.

Oiling helped, but what really helped was learning not to completely overdo the oiling every time. Dark times. Over it now. >.>

No more brushing my hair with dreadful plastic brushes several times a day. Using a BBB only to evenly spread oil or smooth it down.

Updos! And having fun with them, and people actually noticing my hair when it's down now :) (It made a mental difference, at least!)

Islandgrrl
November 4th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I'm not sure there's just one thing for me....I've learned so much here that's improved both the condition of my hair and the way I regard my hair. Not in order of importance:

1. No cones = no breakage!
2. Wearing my hair up every day = protection for the most fragile parts (the ends).
3. No heat! I was never a blowfryer, but I did used to have a curling iron.
4. No chemicals. I cover my grey now with henna, which as it turns out, is a better match to my own natural color than chemicals ever were.

I also regard my hair as something to be treasured, rather than just, well, hair.

thankyousir74
November 4th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I never really heated my hair so I think oiling has made a huge difference, more specifically, coconut oil, but that differs between LHCers. A second has probably been my CO routine.

thankyousir74
November 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Herbal Essences should be SHOT for what they did to my hair.

Same here this was the same poo/condi that my mom used to buy me when I was little and back then I was never happy with my hair (no where near compared to how I am now, and it's pretty short now, so yeah, quality vs quantity, quality FTW).

Samikha
November 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Same here this was the same poo/condi that my mom used to buy me when I was little and back then I was never happy with my hair (no where near compared to how I am now, and it's pretty short now, so yeah, quality vs quantity, quality FTW).

Exact same thing with me! And would you know, the conditioner I use most of these days cost a third or less, so it's not even a money thing - it's all in the knowledge.

mellie
November 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
No heat
No chemicals (including shampoo and color)

Hypnotica
November 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Uhm.....lemme think:

- Started to use the cheapest SLS poo out there.
- Baking soda clarification.

Lady Godiva
November 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Success for me means leave my hair alone 95% of the time, which necessarily includes wearing updos about that often.

Curlsgirl
November 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Gosh thank you :)

Does that work for thick layered hair too? As I say I'd be really worried about doing it myself, I have this terror of ending up with my hair ending up like it had been cut with shears :rolleyes:

If you want to keep your hair layered no you shouldn't do Feye's trimming method. Personally if I were going to keep my layered I would find a good salon. There are ways to do it yourself but you would have to follow the instructions exactly and I have seen a few people here have not so good results with layering their own hair. If you are growing out layers, then it's great. You just trim the ends of the hair until the layers are even with the length.

EdG
November 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Probably... nothing. I don't do anything to my hair other than wash and untangle it. :)
Ed

happymommy
November 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Discovering what my hair needs has been my most important.

Mine needs moisture moisture moisture. I was unknowingly killing it with protein reconstructors, protein poos and condishs, deep treatments etc. because I thought I had fragile weak hair. Nope! Just on protein overload. Henna has made my hair much less fragile/fine.

Once I discovered what moisture treatments my hair loves, I was/am on the road to recovery: CO, scalp washing, heavy oiling with jojoba or shea, protein-less deep treatments, and honey.

heidi w.
November 4th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Never cut it
(off, or shorter by any significant amount).

Oil the length only, regularly.

Wear it up or contained
(rarely loose & free, especially when working, or cleaning house or gardening, or exercising. And no, a ponytail is not my idea of protecting hair. Never loose against fabrics such as knits, fleece. And no top down driving or motorbike or bicycle riding with loose hair. Same for exercising.)

heidi w.

MandaMom2Three
November 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Being GENTLE with it!!! No more ripping out tangled hair elastics with metal on them, no more using a HARSH shampoo as a half hour leave in to try and get rid of black hair dye, no more rough brushing. Be NICE to your hair! :D

Isblå
November 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I am still experimenting, but I think that realising that my hair needs moisture and that I don't have to use a shampoo with sls all the time must be it. I am now on my third week of CO, and so far i LOVE it. I have begun using shea butter and jojoba and I threw out the old evil brush and got a wooden comb from the body shop, but I think the washing is the most significant part.

jojo
November 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Finding this forum of course! and being educated on no heat, oils and herbal rinses.

My hair is 110% better by following the tips on here.

suicides_eve
November 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
*stop bleach
* no brushing (curly hair)
* vitamins
*no heat

Krifantasy
November 4th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Finding this forum of course! and being educated on no heat, oils and herbal rinses.

My hair is 110% better by following the tips on here.

I have to agree with jojo that LHC itself has made the biggest difference. The knowledge and information contained on this blog is tremendous. I have switched to CWC (and convinced my sister to as well - she is so pleased) and noticed such a drastic difference that I was shocked my hair could even look like that. Then I started using kimberlily's defrizz spray and I cannot express how much I love this stuff. I have tried so many products in the past that never even came close to what this one product does for my hair.

Thanks so much LHC!:cheese:

RedJen
November 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Oiling, keeping my hair up, and not brushing helped with my hair a lot! I have nothing against brushing, but for my almost-curly hair, it just makes a giant frizzball.

Manako
November 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
henna, sulfate-free shampoo, vitamins, coconut oil have definitely helped my hair become stronger and grow faster.

For me it was mostly about adding positive things than removing negatives, I had already stopped heat styling and chemical dyes before coming to LHC.

Lady Godiva
November 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hah, why are so many people's against brushes? That's the only way I can get all the tangles out - my hair is more stubborn than I am...if that's possible! Besides I never have time to 'gently' comb out the tangles with a comb. I usually only use a comb to part my hair and smooth it down. It would take too long due to my hair's length...
I relate to the long time required for combing, hence my earlier mention of the benefit of wearing updos. Held snugly, hair doesn't get very tangled. :)

As Siava mentioned, brushing curly hair generally is not preferred because it causes breakage, but it also causes frizz. Additionally, keep in mind that your hair type is listed as M/C. Coarser hair types can withstand brushing in ways that Fine hair cannot, especially on a regular basis. Coarser hair is more durable.

Mebo
November 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Learning that it's okay to take time for my hair, and not rushing. Learning to be gentle when I brush or comb, not ripping out tangles. Learning about Ficarre's and the easy updos. Okay, that three, not one......sorry!

Cinnamon Hair
November 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Joining LHC made the biggest difference in my hair. :D In other words, awareness.

chotee
November 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
A good diet with the necessary vitamins, proteins etc made a huge difference :smile:

Mary <><
November 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Got rid of heat styling and towel drying. Now I just use a soft old T-shirt to dry my hair.

eaglefeather71
November 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Henna
No Heat 98&#37; of the time
Shampoo alternatives (poo bars, soap based homemade poo, diluted, CO)
washing 2x week

CurlyKitten
November 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Conditioner washing and no heat, definitely. Deep conditioning and wearing my hair up have been very helpful too.

darkwaves
November 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
The most important thing? Seriously?

I bought hair toys! Lots of them!

Without them, I wouldn't have been able to do updos... unless I used lots and lots of bobby pins, but that's no fun -- and so, I know that without hair toys, I wouldn't have enjoyed updos...

And the cost kept me from visiting the hairdressers so often, so that helped, too...

Without putting my hair up most of the time, I would never have come this far with this fine, tangly mess of mine!

NurseMama
November 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Henna is the best thing that I have done for my hair. My split ends have very nearly disappeared and my hair just seems to sparkle in the sun now. Henna has made me fall in love with my hair again!

Deborah
November 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
My hair is healthy mostly because that is just the kind of hair I have, and I have never used anything harsh to damage it.

When I first started reading hair boards, I realized that I had some breakage from metal barrettes, so I dropped their use. Problem solved. This is why ficcare's don't appeal to me. I think they could be damaging. (Now, don't beat me up for blasphemy. Not everyone is a ficarre lover.) :couch:

Teacherbear
November 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I started doing CWCC instead of just WC.

I stopped trying to force my hair to do something it didn't do naturally (it isn't straight and it isn't curly-curly).

I use the products and tools and toys that work for my hair regardless of what others say works for them, and I don't do MANY things others swear by. I love my Denman brush and Kent comb - wooden combs and horn combs are worthless FOR ME. My hair hates oil and protein products.

julya
November 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Gentle treatment, especially in terms of detangling. I won't comb my hair out if I'm feeling stressed or rushed. Just put it up in a bun, and detangle later if I don't have time to do it properly.

paper
November 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Shampoo & Condtioner. I use a milder, diluted shampoo, and a cone free conditioner. Instead of S&C every other day I CWC twice a week. This has made so much difference in my hair. It is so soft now, and it was dry and frizzy.