PDA

View Full Version : Illusion of thicker hair - without touching it?

FineMiracle
October 3rd, 2018, 04:14 AM
Disclaimer: I love my thin, fine hair. But sometimes seeing it a lil thicker is a nice change. Especially where I'm trying to grow out and thicken my hair near the ends.

So my question revolves entirely around the idea of creating the illusion of thicker hair, without actually touching the hair itself.

I see so many people talk about the standard backcombing, hairspray, ect. Those kinds of techniques. But I don't see nearly as many discussing how one can simply create the illusion of it, without manipulating the hair itself.

These illusions can actually be more effective. For example, this is probably common sense but the one that seems to make the biggest difference is losing weight. I don't need to lose weight myself (actually I need to gain), but when I see before and after pics of major (the *healthy* kind) weight loss, their hair always looks ten times bigger than it did before.

Usually when I want my hair to look thicker, I'll wear tight fitted clothing or cinch my waist to create the illusion. If I want to wear an oversized style, but also don't want my hair to look thinner by comparison, I'll just put my hair up. These are by no means rigid rules I live by, just easy ways that I feel make a big difference in how my hair looks without damaging it.

So my question is, does anyone else use these tricks, have any other illusion tricks they like to use, or ideas related to this? I can't really think of anything else to add. I know another one is the shirt color trick. Although I may be a bit confused on this one. Maybe it depends on your hair color, but I find that light colored shirts (ivory, white) contrast with my brown hair and make it stand out/look thicker, rather than dark shirts.

Kake
October 3rd, 2018, 06:35 AM
I understand the point you're making about relative sizes, but linking weight loss and hair in this way seems like something most people don't need. :blossom:

IMO lack of contrast between hair colour and background makes the hair appear thicker, as gaps are less visible, although that might be pretty subjective.

TatsuOni
October 3rd, 2018, 07:34 AM
Parandas can make your hair look bigger/more thick and are hair friendly. You can do french/dutch braids or just a big braided bun. Other than that, I don't really have any ideas.

Andthetalltrees
October 3rd, 2018, 09:13 AM
I totally get what you're saying, My hair is already super thick but after losing 17 pounds it definitely looks even fuller because it covers my whole back

leayellena
October 4th, 2018, 01:46 AM
braid waves can make hair appear thicker. or buns and bun waves. if u wear your hair down of course.
you can also try the sock bun.
side note: my flat buns spreading on a bigger area of my head makes my bun look bigger. I have a huge taper from apl to hl* so wearing a braid is not good for me.
if you wear braids u can pancake them. I don't know how to pancake. they look a mess on me and they shred like crazy. but that's just me. it may probably work on your hair....

*Wednesday*
October 4th, 2018, 02:29 PM
This may be not be great...tighter fitting clothes rather than loose. Skinny jeans and a tighter shirt? However, some people may not be comfortable showing curves.