PDA

View Full Version : Do you shampoo your length?

Milkchocolate
October 2nd, 2018, 12:20 PM
What are your opinions on shampooing your entire length of your hair, including your ends? ( and not just letting it run through ) I know many are only for shampooing the scalp area, but I love shampooing it from scalp to ends, and in fact, I love letting it sit on for a few minutes (like a deep conditioner)

I learned about his method from a YouTube channel and I’m loving the results. I find that my hair feels cleaner, thicker and ends are more plump..but of course conditioning is a must afterwards, or else it will be left too dry. I find that this combination of letting my shampoo sit, followed by a deep conditioner is the best hair washing method I’ve tried to date.

Zesty
October 2nd, 2018, 12:26 PM
I don't, but I use enough shampoo that I'm sure it's pretty cleansing even with just the leftover suds running down the length.

If it's working for you, then great! As long as you monitor for dryness I don't see any reason you can't, if you condition generously.

Dark40
October 2nd, 2018, 12:27 PM
I also shampoo from roots or scalp to ends too! I love that squeaky clean thick hair too! My hair is much happier when I shampoo it all over, and yes of course conditioning is afterwards.

nycelle
October 2nd, 2018, 12:32 PM
If I'm cowashing I do. But if I'm using a low poo, then I just let it run down the lengths. I do wash twice though, and like you, I let the first wash sit on my scalp for a minute or so. My second I use a massage brush. I love a very clean scalp.

But if it works well for you, stick with it.

*Wednesday*
October 2nd, 2018, 12:35 PM
I don't shampoo the ends, just my scalp. I only condition the length.

Ylva
October 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM
I mostly just shampoo my scalp and roots, but occasionally all of my hair, maybe once in 2-3 weeks.

If one's hair can take it, I see no harm in shampooing the lengths every time one washes.

littlestarface
October 2nd, 2018, 12:52 PM
Most times I do, especially when i'm chelating.

Andthetalltrees
October 2nd, 2018, 12:58 PM
Once in awhile I do if it's feeling like it has some build up or dryness

Sarahlabyrinth
October 2nd, 2018, 12:59 PM
I shampoo it all over about once a month, otherwise it just gets conditioner on the ends and whatever there is with shampoo runoff.

lithostoic
October 2nd, 2018, 01:43 PM
I only shampoo once a month, so I apply it everywhere. If I didn't, the product buildup would prevent my hair from getting moisture.

MusicalSpoons
October 2nd, 2018, 03:13 PM
Occasionally, if it's not playing nicely :p otherwise there's usually conditioner sitting on my lengths while the shampoo's sitting on my scalp

Corvana
October 2nd, 2018, 03:17 PM
I do when I clarify, but that's about it.

Alex Lou
October 2nd, 2018, 03:30 PM
Only when chelating, which doesn't happen very often.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2018, 03:35 PM
I have used ROO for the 46th time this past Sunday, and so I do clarify my hair + lengths weekly due to it; I want nicely fresh ends and a "blank canvas" each time.

Doreen
October 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM
I only let it run through unless I'm actively clarifying. The length still smells faintly like the shampoo, though, so it must have some effect with only the rinse-through.

school of fish
October 2nd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Yes, I shampoo my entire length, from roots to ends, daily, with sulphate shampoo. I follow up with thick conditioner with a light cone in it, also from scalp to hemline.

After experimenting with multiple wash methods including stretching, turns out my hair responds best to doing it the way they do in the shampoo ads, hehehe!!!

DweamGoiL
October 2nd, 2018, 07:16 PM
I wash pretty thoroughly as well. I get a lot of buildup if I don't wash the length, but I also generally am pretty much cone and SLS free.

AutobotsAttack
October 2nd, 2018, 10:49 PM
Rarely. Typically when I do it’s because I’m clarifying, or I’ve been using heavy butters like Shea Butter.

Stray_mind
October 3rd, 2018, 12:20 AM
I usually shampoo only my scalp and condition the rest. If i have time, sometimes i shampoo Twice. I like me some foams :D hahaha.

And then my scalp itches less.

psyc2321
October 3rd, 2018, 12:38 AM
Normally only if I'm clarifying. I CWC, so my lengths are pre-coated in conditioner.

I've shampooed the whole length four times in the last week though, because I wore it down to a work function that I didn't know was going to involve a bonfire (surprise!) and it still reeks of smoke every time I get it wet :steam:steam:steam On a related note, anyone got any tips for getting smoke smell out of hair?

manticore
October 3rd, 2018, 12:39 AM
Approx once a month/2months I use a cheleating shampoo on my whole length - hard water, yunno. But usually shampoo just the scalp works for me :)

Julescarm
October 3rd, 2018, 12:48 AM
Normally only if I'm clarifying. I CWC, so my lengths are pre-coated in conditioner.

I've shampooed the whole length four times in the last week though, because I wore it down to a work function that I didn't know was going to involve a bonfire (surprise!) and it still reeks of smoke every time I get it wet :steam:steam:steam On a related note, anyone got any tips for getting smoke smell out of hair?

My guess would be ACV rinse or deep conditioning or hot oiling treatment. Smoke can be drying to the scalp. Any methods might help get moisture back in and remove the smell.

Joules
October 3rd, 2018, 02:19 AM
I shampoo my scalp thoroughly and then gently run my fingers through my lengths spreading the suds. So yeah, I guess it counts as shampooing my lengths and ends.

But I always use something pre-poo to protect my hair. Oil if I use sulfates and conditioner if I use a sulfate-free shampoo. My roots are usually squeaky clean, but my lengths and ends don't even feel like they need conditioner (I always apply conditioner anyway, but still, shampoo doesn't dry them out).

EdG
October 3rd, 2018, 05:56 AM
I use shampoo as a body wash. I hold my hair over my head in the shower and apply shampoo right up to the hairline on my face, neck, and ears. After rinsing away the shampoo, the hair then gets water-only washed.

This hair-care routine could not have worked for me when I was younger, but it works surprisingly well now.
Ed

Estrid
October 3rd, 2018, 06:15 AM
I only shampoo the scalp, but I let the shampoo rinse through my length.

Ligeia Noire
October 3rd, 2018, 06:16 AM
I do too. I shampoo the scalp, the length and the ends. Put it up with claw clips and then wash myself. So, it sits for five or eight minutes.

Sora Rose
October 3rd, 2018, 08:36 AM
I only shampoo the scalp and let the suds run down the lengths. I also only condition the ends, because my scalp can get too greasy too fast if I condition there. I find this is pretty effective at my current length.

Natalia_A00
October 3rd, 2018, 08:56 AM
Once in a blue moon I do it, but normally I just wash my scalp. I feel that the length of my hair doesn't need to be washed at all. It always feels clean this way

Reservechic
October 3rd, 2018, 10:12 AM
I don't use shampoo in my hair anymore, but I do cowash, and I always wash my entire length. All of my hair is exposed to pollution, dirt, oil, grime, product buildup and more on a daily basis, which is why, I choose to wash my entire head of hair. However, I've always had my entire head of hair washed from root to end throughout my entire life, thus far. I honestly had never even heard of some individuals doing scalp only washing, until I heard about it on the Internet. The same with cowashing, and a lot of other methods. However, within ones hair journey, it's all about finding what works best for your hair and sticking with. As, there are honestly no rules when it comes to hair. Because, as long as what you choose to do doesn't cause damage to your hair, then by all means, "keep doing you"!

Platzhalter
October 3rd, 2018, 01:00 PM
Not really, at least not actively - the amount of shampoo that goes on my lengths just by rinsing it of of my scalp tends to be more than enough.

Spar
October 3rd, 2018, 07:46 PM
Me :)
I’ve been oiling every wash now (2 days, leave in for 1hr). I always put extra oil on the length so I shampoo that as well.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 7th, 2018, 09:37 AM
When I clarify then my shampoo goes to the end. Generally I do not use shampoo.

Margarita
October 7th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Sometimes yes but, i mostly try washing only my roots :D

GoldenRussian
October 7th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I never wash my length. By rinsing your hair after shampooing, the scalp will make the shampoo/water mix slide on your length anyway. Oiling or not before washing your hair, I never purposely touch the length with shampoo.

Pacific
October 7th, 2018, 09:50 PM
I always shampoo from scalp to ends and I let it sit a few minutes.

Milkchocolate
October 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I always shampoo from scalp to ends and I let it sit a few minutes.

I love to let my shampoo and conditioners sit for the same amount of time (5 -10 min each)

blesseddamozel
October 8th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I usually just shampoo my roots and let the suds run down the rest of the hair, but if I've done an oil treatment I'll shampoo the whole thing.

bparnell75
October 8th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Shampoo scalp, condition length.

Guitargod
October 8th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Same here. I only apply it to the scalp but it rinses the length when I wash it out.

JennyLue
October 8th, 2018, 11:53 PM
I shampoo all of my hair but only once per week.

Emma Rose
October 9th, 2018, 02:44 AM
No, I just shampoo my scalp

LillyBlossom
October 9th, 2018, 02:47 AM
Another thing I've been doing that I probably shouldn't, I do a full suds up shampoo every time I wash my hair, which was every day until very recently now its every second day, but I think I might just do the scalp and maybe a full hair suds once a month.

Hairkay
October 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Shampoo stays far away from my whole head including my hair. I'm allergic to it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 15th, 2018, 07:42 PM
I use it every other week. When I use it too often, it irritates my scalp.
So I try to seldom use it in general. But I do use shea butter products regularly and oil.
So unfortunately i get build up kind of quickly.

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 09:55 AM
How well does it remove silicones and other film formers to just have sulfate shampoo run through the lenghts? I imagine it depends on the strength of the sulfates in question, but can anyone throw anything into the wind for me?

Joules
October 16th, 2018, 10:12 AM
How well does it remove silicones and other film formers to just have sulfate shampoo run through the lenghts? I imagine it depends on the strength of the sulfates in question, but can anyone throw anything into the wind for me?

I spread the suds down my lengths with my fingers (just like combing your hair with fingers), it removes buildup very well and doesn't damage anything at all. I don't think just letting it run down would be as effective, this method doesn't remove oil treatments, how would it wash out cones?

Rosetta
October 16th, 2018, 10:34 AM
That's interesting; I normally just let the shampoo suds run down the length, never really spread the actual shampoo liquid there on purpose, and I don't get any excessive amount of buildup (and I normally use medium-heavy coney conditioners)... So it seems at least for me, that method removes cones well enough.

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 11:28 AM
I spread the suds down my lengths with my fingers (just like combing your hair with fingers), it removes buildup very well and doesn't damage anything at all. I don't think just letting it run down would be as effective, this method doesn't remove oil treatments, how would it wash out cones?

When I still used to oil my hair lightly, it removed that oil so that my hair didn't feel oily or sticky or anything at least. But I agree, it probably wouldn't remove heavy oiling. Which one of those is closer to cones, I do not know.

That's interesting; I normally just let the shampoo suds run down the length, never really spread the actual shampoo liquid there on purpose, and I don't get any excessive amount of buildup (and I normally use medium-heavy coney conditioners)... So it seems at least for me, that method removes cones well enough.

That's good to hear!

Carolyn
October 16th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Most of the time I shampoo the entire length if it's been more than a couple days since my last shampoo. And I always shampoo the length if I've used any styling products, which is rare. I always always always condition roots to tips. Conditioner from ears down did not work for me.

If you are happy with your wash routine, go with it.

Joules
October 16th, 2018, 02:35 PM
When I still used to oil my hair lightly, it removed that oil so that my hair didn't feel oily or sticky or anything at least. But I agree, it probably wouldn't remove heavy oiling. Which one of those is closer to cones, I do not know.

If you're considering going back to cones, I'd suggest starting slow and listening to your hair. Some hair types are more prone to buildup than others, you never know which routine would be best for you. Start with just letting the suds run down your hair. If it's not enough and you get buildup, then you'll know that you need some shampoo on your lengths. The thing with silicones and buildup is that they're gonna sort of protect your hair from harsher treatment, like, if you end up needing a full on sulfate wash it would only take away the buildup and your hair will be fine (that's my theory anyway). So yeah, just experiment :)

I was getting hardcore buildup when I was sulfate and silicone free without even realising it, funny enough, so now every time I wash my hair I gently spread the lather down my length and it seems ok with it. I'm using only amodimethicone right now, it's the type of silicone that doesn't accumulate on itself, maybe it could be incorporated into your type of routine easier than heavier cones.

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 03:04 PM
If you're considering going back to cones, I'd suggest starting slow and listening to your hair. Some hair types are more prone to buildup than others, you never know which routine would be best for you. Start with just letting the suds run down your hair. If it's not enough and you get buildup, then you'll know that you need some shampoo on your lengths. The thing with silicones and buildup is that they're gonna sort of protect your hair from harsher treatment, like, if you end up needing a full on sulfate wash it would only take away the buildup and your hair will be fine (that's my theory anyway). So yeah, just experiment :)

I was getting hardcore buildup when I was sulfate and silicone free without even realising it, funny enough, so now every time I wash my hair I gently spread the lather down my length and it seems ok with it. I'm using only amodimethicone right now, it's the type of silicone that doesn't accumulate on itself, maybe it could be incorporated into your type of routine easier than heavier cones.

Thanks for the tips. The lower half of my hair got some noticeable damage when I bleached it, as it had been chemically processed before that, so it's acting up a bit and not tolerating oils as well as it did before, but I don't know why that is. It easily ends up feeling sticky now, which it didn't do in the past. I don't know if that's an indication of it being more prone to buildup, I'm not even sure if bleaching would affect it at all. I'm sure it also depends a lot on the type of silicone. I happened to find one cone product that really works well for my hair and the end result is truly the opposite of any other cone conditioner I've used, and it's cheap as heck so I can really smack it on, which is what I need when it comes to conditioner. The silicone it contains is bis-aminopropyl dimethicone and, as far as I've read online, it's not supposed to build up MUCH on itself. So should be similar to amodimethicone to my understanding.

But yeah, you're right, I just need to experiment. I don't know why I'm so afraid of it. I always have this feeling that it will take my hair ages to make a comeback if I "ruin" it somehow with the wrong products or routine.

Joules
October 16th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Ylva, I totaly get what you mean when you say you're afraid of experiments :) it's just the first time that is scary, then it becomes almost addicting, I went from "just this one specific shampoo and this one specific conditioner" to "when's the wash day? I have five new shampoos to try out!" in just a few weeks :rollin:

I was battling grabby dry ends for 4 months this year, I still don't know what exactly was causing it. It went away after I started using cones and sulfates (which happened almost simultaneously), so it might have been buildup, or damage, or maybe even both.

According to science-y hair blod, bis-aminopropyl dimethicone is pretty much exaclty like my beloved amodimethicone. Those guys are magical :crush: :bluebiggr

Ylva
October 16th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Ylva, I totaly get what you mean when you say you're afraid of experiments :) it's just the first time that is scary, then it becomes almost addicting, I went from "just this one specific shampoo and this one specific conditioner" to "when's the wash day? I have five new shampoos to try out!" in just a few weeks :rollin:

I was battling grabby dry ends for 4 months this year, I still don't know what exactly was causing it. It went away after I started using cones and sulfates (which happened almost simultaneously), so it might have been buildup, or damage, or maybe even both.

According to science-y hair blod, bis-aminopropyl dimethicone is pretty much exaclty like my beloved amodimethicone. Those guys are magical :crush: :bluebiggr

Haha, that's good to hear! I swear, in the coming two washes I will apply this cone conditioner twice in a row without a sulfate wash in between. If that works, then I can pretty much continue with the same haircare routine as I had without cones. And that would be perfect!

Dry, grabby ends are exactly what I'm experiencing right now. It wasn't as bad before, but the past few weeks it has been annoying. I can still notice that they feel worse even with this cone stuff on, but dang it makes my hair so easy to brush and so smooth!

I guess I'm at a point now where going back to cones seems more reasonable than it did before. I originally stopped using them because I wanted to see exactly what condition my hair was in and how different ingredients and formulas affected it. Now I feel like I have pretty much gained all the knowledge about my hair that I can gain at this point, so I might as well make my hair life a bit easier now that I've actually found a coney product that works great for my hair. But, since I am stupidly stubborn, I'm also having thoughts like "What's the point of having this hair if I need to coat it with something in order for it to feel good?" and "Isn't this sort of cheating?", both of which I realise are not as serious matters as my brain makes them seem like.

desisparkles
October 16th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Ever since I started the curly girl method I only do the roots if I'm using low poo. I have dry hair anyway so I don't use anything but condish on the length.