PDA

View Full Version : Oil treatment not working

VenusianMane
October 1st, 2018, 07:24 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I've been using coconut oil on my hair every 2 weeks for sometime now but I don't really get the marvellous promised benefits from it and I don't know why

I don't know if my hair is just not fond of it, if I'm putting too much oil (if this is possible maybe it could be, bc I really drench my hair with it), or if I'm just not good at removing it from my hair, after I wash my hair ir remais oily and weighted down

So... any advices or opinions?
I'd really appreciate everyone's input!

Zesty
October 1st, 2018, 07:28 PM
Try a different oil. Coconut is hit and miss depending on the person. If you're wanting to do deep treatments, my first thoughts would be almond or olive. Or you could try using just a little bit of oil after a wash rather than drenching your hair and washing it out. Or any number of other things. There are a zillion oils and multiple ways to use them, and a lot of it is just experimentation.

What result are you looking for? Is there something you're trying to "fix" with your hair? (Dryness, breakage, split ends, etc.)

Ylva
October 1st, 2018, 07:31 PM
About removing the oil - instead of shampooing it out, you could try and coat your hair in conditioner for at least 5 minutes before washing your hair. The conditioner will absorb some of the oil, making it easier to wash it out.

VenusianMane
October 1st, 2018, 07:41 PM
Try a different oil. Coconut is hit and miss depending on the person. If you're wanting to do deep treatments, my first thoughts would be almond or olive. Or you could try using just a little bit of oil after a wash rather than drenching your hair and washing it out. Or any number of other things. There are a zillion oils and multiple ways to use them, and a lot of it is just experimentation.

What result are you looking for? Is there something you're trying to "fix" with your hair? (Dryness, breakage, split ends, etc.)

I'll experiment with olive oil then I guess, hope it works
I used to put a little but of coconut oil after washing and I think I liked the results

I definitely struggle with dryness, but also would like more softness and shine
Leave-in conditioner has been helping a lot but I'm still mostly figuring out an ideal haircare and hairstyling routine

I also asked bc I do a deep conditioning once a week, oil treatment every two weeks and protein treatment every month, and the oilling is the only part I'm struggling with

Thank you for your answer :)

Zesty
October 1st, 2018, 07:42 PM
I'll experiment with olive oil then I guess, hope it works
I used to put a little but of coconut oil after washing and I think I liked the results

I definitely struggle with dryness, but also would like more softness and shine
Leave-in conditioner has been helping a lot but I'm still mostly figuring out an ideal haircare and hairstyling routine

I also asked bc I do a deep conditioning once a week, oil treatment every two weeks and protein treatment every month, and the oilling is the only part I'm struggling with

Thank you for your answer :)

I'm sure you'll find the best routine for you! Keep us posted and best of luck.

VenusianMane
October 1st, 2018, 07:43 PM
About removing the oil - instead of shampooing it out, you could try and coat your hair in conditioner for at least 5 minutes before washing your hair. The conditioner will absorb some of the oil, making it easier to wash it out.

Excited to try this out, thanks! :)

AutobotsAttack
October 1st, 2018, 07:49 PM
Are you trying to get some type of moisturizing benefit from the coconut oil?
Oils don’t moisturize and coconut often gives benefits of a protein treatment. Protein treatments are meant to strengthen and often do not soften the hair.

If anything coconut oil is great for piling the ends on down, or being used as a pre-poo Treatment.

VenusianMane
October 1st, 2018, 07:58 PM
Are you trying to get some type of moisturizing benefit from the coconut oil?
Oils don’t moisturize and coconut often gives benefits of a protein treatment. Protein treatments are meant to strengthen and often do not soften the hair.

If anything coconut oil is great for piling the ends on down, or being used as a pre-poo Treatment.

I think that's probably what's happening, I'll try to change it to olive oil and only use the coconut oil as you said, thanks!

AutobotsAttack
October 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM
I think that's probably what's happening, I'll try to change it to olive oil and only use the coconut oil as you said, thanks!

Anytime! Olive oil has natural fatty acids that give softening benefits, so I’d say that’s a good oil selection. Best of luck to you!

Obsidian
October 2nd, 2018, 04:25 AM
I like olive but it is a heavy oil, don't get too carried away using it.
Conditioner is about the only way I can remove it. Buy a couple bottles of cheap conditioner just for that and be generous when using.

VenusianMane
October 2nd, 2018, 06:42 AM
I like olive but it is a heavy oil, don't get too carried away using it.
Conditioner is about the only way I can remove it. Buy a couple bottles of cheap conditioner just for that and be generous when using.

I'll definitely use less than I normaly do then, thanks for the advice :)

Alissalocks
October 2nd, 2018, 11:19 PM
Yup olive is too heavy for me but sweet almond is a favorite. Just keep experimenting, slowly. :D