PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Get It

nycelle
October 1st, 2018, 04:51 PM
I saw this video on FB earlier (if you have FB, you need to see it.)

The woman's advertising a bunch of different things for a hair care company, ignore that part. What's very interesting to me is that her hair, which is at least waist length, bleached and heat damaged, looks aaah mazin'.

HOW?? How is it some hair gets damaged just from blowing too hard on it, while with others, you can color, use heat, etc and it still grows and grows. So unfair...

Now granted, I don't know how much heat she really uses, but I can see she bleaches a ton and her hair still grew, with what looks like minimal damage. I'm sure she trims and all, but I'm still shocked that she got it this long and looking good which bleach and styling. Her ends are in great shape.

https://www.facebook.com/getlange/videos/1800270380090826/

Ylva
October 1st, 2018, 04:55 PM
I can't say anything about the heat part, but her natural hair doesn't appear to be very dark, but something like dark blonde, like mine. I can tell from experience that bleaching doesn't need to be super damaging. When my new growth goes through one round of bleach, it's done with 20 vol. developer and Olaplex mixed into it. Olaplex dilutes the developer and protects the hair against damage from bleaching. After that, my hair still feels pretty much identical to my virgin hair. It's soft, shiny and just overall feels healthy, and I don't use cones.

nycelle
October 1st, 2018, 05:07 PM
Yeah, she's not dark haired so definitely not using a very high developer.
Still, between the bleach and heat use.. I'd expect to see more damage.

Honestly, I'm excited to see this as I've been going back and forth about coloring my hair for months now. When I was highlighting, Olaplex hadn't come out yet so I had a ton of damage and had to cut off 6" last December. This time around though, I would definitely use it. Just wondering if my hair could take it or not.

sophia_
October 1st, 2018, 05:14 PM
Some people's hair can withstand a whole lot, I have a friend who bleaches her tailbone-length hair and straightens it multiple times a week, and never wears it up, even so, she has much healthier hair than I (to be fair she's been maintaining it for years upon years).

Ylva
October 1st, 2018, 05:16 PM
I think ultimately the most important thing about bleach is to know your limits. It's best when kept to one processing and when that is made as gentle as possible. It's better to do a longer bleaching with lower developer, than a short one with 40 vol. The 20 vol. + Olaplex is left in my hair for almost an hour, and it's essential that it doesn't dry out at any point, so my hairdresser saturates it at some point. I'm not a hair professional, but I suspect that healthy platinum hair can only truly be achieved by people who are already blonde. One shouldn't try to lighten their hair too many levels, or at the very least, they should expect it to take a very long time.

lucid
October 1st, 2018, 05:42 PM
She looks to be pretty light blonde naturally, so it's not certain "she bleached a ton". She probably didn't. She could also use lots of cone products covering up any bleach damage. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 1st, 2018, 06:42 PM
Also I am pretty sure that the strand thickness matters too.
Someone with fine hair, like myself, cannot bleach regularly even though my natural color is pretty light. Caramel blonde actually.
But bleach and dye really hurt it, I shouldnt even use chemical color, I am sure its contributing to my breakage now.
But someone with courser hair could probably dye and bleach their hair a lot easier than I could.

nycelle
October 1st, 2018, 06:45 PM
I think ultimately the most important thing about bleach is to know your limits. It's best when kept to one processing and when that is made as gentle as possible. It's better to do a longer bleaching with lower developer, than a short one with 40 vol. The 20 vol. + Olaplex is left in my hair for almost an hour, and it's essential that it doesn't dry out at any point, so my hairdresser saturates it at some point. I'm not a hair professional, but I suspect that healthy platinum hair can only truly be achieved by people who are already blonde. One shouldn't try to lighten their hair too many levels, or at the very least, they should expect it to take a very long time.

I wouldn't go more than one level lighter these days anyway.. I don't want to be blonde again and there's no way around it with constant highlighting.

She looks to be pretty light blonde naturally, so it's not certain "she bleached a ton". She probably didn't. She could also use lots of cone products covering up any bleach damage. :)

What I mean by she's bleached a ton is she's constantly bleaching, not growing out, and the bleach has overlapped in areas.

The truth is, it's impossible to say how blonde she is. We don't know if she does root smudges, or just had her hair bleached. These days, there are plenty of brunettes who look like natural blondes but are far from it. I mean even her eyebrows looks natural, but if she's a blonde, they probably aren't, if she's a brunette, they probably are.. who knows.

nycelle
October 1st, 2018, 06:47 PM
Also I am pretty sure that the strand thickness matters too.
Someone with fine hair, like myself, cannot bleach regularly even though my natural color is pretty light. Caramel blonde actually.
But bleach and dye really hurt it, I shouldnt even use chemical color, I am sure its contributing to my breakage now.
But someone with courser hair could probably dye and bleach their hair a lot easier than I could.

true..
still.. she bleaches and it appears to use heat as well. either way, it's nice to see that hair can grow well even with all sorts of bad crap done to it. and it gives me hope when i start coloring again..lol

Dark40
October 1st, 2018, 06:57 PM
Yeah, she's not dark haired so definitely not using a very high developer.
Still, between the bleach and heat use.. I'd expect to see more damage.

Honestly, I'm excited to see this as I've been going back and forth about coloring my hair for months now. When I was highlighting, Olaplex hadn't come out yet so I had a ton of damage and had to cut off 6" last December. This time around though, I would definitely use it. Just wondering if my hair could take it or not.

No, she's not dark-haired at all. She's like me either dark blonde or sandy brown. She probably don't have to use bleach at all to get it to that color. I also used to bleach and chemically relax my hair, and hardly ever had any damage. That's because my hair was also able to take a lot of stuff too. But you're right. When, I first started bleaching my hair back in the 2000s Olaplex wasn't out back then, and I'm sure a lot of people's hair from bleaching was getting damaged! But I would spread out my treatments. Like, one week relax my hair, and wait 14 days or 2 weeks then bleach. Every time I bleach I would do DT's once a week, and my protein treatments once a month. When I was in high school I would also use a lot of heat on my hair as well! I would both blow-dry and hot-curl my hair every single day, and it was still growing!

Alex Lou
October 1st, 2018, 08:20 PM
The ends look very damaged to me. The way that the strands are laying does not look like "healthy" hair.

I previously had bleach-damaged hair down to TBL (in my avatar actually dyed back to a darker color) and you would not have been able to see anything obvious from a camera spaced that far away. But I had splits all over, breakage, tapering. I'd slather some heavy cones on there and it wasn't something you could notice without examining my hair closely. I also have thick and coarse hair; I'm sure that makes a difference.

littlestarface
October 1st, 2018, 09:10 PM
I saw this video on FB earlier (if you have FB, you need to see it.)

The woman's advertising a bunch of different things for a hair care company, ignore that part. What's very interesting to me is that her hair, which is at least waist length, bleached and heat damaged, looks aaah mazin'.

HOW?? How is it some hair gets damaged just from blowing too hard on it, while with others, you can color, use heat, etc and it still grows and grows. So unfair...

Now granted, I don't know how much heat she really uses, but I can see she bleaches a ton and her hair still grew, with what looks like minimal damage. I'm sure she trims and all, but I'm still shocked that she got it this long and looking good which bleach and styling. Her ends are in great shape.

https://www.facebook.com/getlange/videos/1800270380090826/

I don't know man, to me it looks dry and damaged and if I seen her hair i'd tell her to take a few inches off her hair sorry. I can see broken hairs on her shirt too, that poor hair :wail:

Joules
October 2nd, 2018, 02:24 AM
First of all, cones and flat ironing can make any kind of gamaged ends look healthy.

Secondly, I decided to check out her page. This (https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31167022_916204395228524_4378055839227838464_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&oh=92b06dfd4377346ac9799654d2c63b2a&oe=5C239BA8) picture was posted in April, This (https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32267139_925375807644716_3585084488452931584_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&oh=4dd33c7d8772f3e643826e411aa9fe81&oe=5C572C57) picture was posted in May, and this (https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37028734_969904499858513_6320209483196792832_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&oh=76a59c7e4557e09c14062520c4f2aa59&oe=5C1FACBA) picture was posted in July. Do you see what I see?

There's for sure nothing wrong with hair extensions, especially when they're done so nicely, but no one should look at it and think "wow, she bleaches and fries her hair and still has it long, it means I can do it too!".

lapushka
October 2nd, 2018, 05:10 AM
I can't see the video (no FB), so if I'm saying anything that doesn't make sense, chalk it up to that.

It may be her hair was "prepared" for the video, and that she had pretty nice untreated hair (which may be why they "chose" her) to begin with. Just one bleach treatment is not going to damage your hair a whole lot.

Stray_mind
October 2nd, 2018, 05:31 AM
I don't know. By the way it lies, it looks dead and Frizzy... it may be that it was, as others say, prepared for the video.

My friend used to bleach her blonde hair and she had to put Tons of products in it so it would look presentable.

nycelle
October 2nd, 2018, 07:28 AM
I still think her hair looks awesome for someone that does everything she does.

Her ends to me, look no worse than many natural ends I've seen, and in many cases, even better. I'm sure her hair is dry, and there is some frizz, but again, nothing terrible. It doesn't have that velcro look I associate with damaged hair.

Whatever she's doing, it's growing, and it looks good I think.

@Joules- I'm not sure what you're trying to show in the pics? The first two look like her real hair to me, the last looks like she added extensions.

Before I posted this video, I watched others of her, the hair in the FB video is hers, they're not extensions.

Alex Lou
October 2nd, 2018, 07:46 AM
First of all, cones and flat ironing can make any kind of gamaged ends look healthy.

Secondly, I decided to check out her page. This (https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31167022_916204395228524_4378055839227838464_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&oh=92b06dfd4377346ac9799654d2c63b2a&oe=5C239BA8) picture was posted in April, This (https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32267139_925375807644716_3585084488452931584_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=105&oh=4dd33c7d8772f3e643826e411aa9fe81&oe=5C572C57) picture was posted in May, and this (https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37028734_969904499858513_6320209483196792832_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&oh=76a59c7e4557e09c14062520c4f2aa59&oe=5C1FACBA) picture was posted in July. Do you see what I see?

There's for sure nothing wrong with hair extensions, especially when they're done so nicely, but no one should look at it and think "wow, she bleaches and fries her hair and still has it long, it means I can do it too!".

Ah, yes extensions. This makes me confused though as to why her hair looks so bad in the video when the extensions in that photo look to be in great condition. I guess a lot of her natural hair is seen in the video since It's from the front. Like when she pulls the upper part of her hair forward and it's all spider webby looking.

nycelle
October 2nd, 2018, 08:10 AM

When I go back to coloring, I'll definitely have the 1 and 2 done at the salon, but I know you mentioned you also do 2 at home. You think it's it's necessary? Getting 2 here from a trusted source would be a pain, I'd have to go back to the salon to have it done.

Ylva
October 2nd, 2018, 08:25 AM
When I go back to coloring, I'll definitely have the 1 and 2 done at the salon, but I know you mentioned you also do 2 at home. You think it's it's necessary? Getting 2 here from a trusted source would be a pain, I'd have to go back to the salon to have it done.

Chances are that just pampering your hair otherwise will be sufficient. I like to do treatments with 2 at home, because I have more damage from about halfway down my hair. It's not necessary for my once-processed hair. I was lucky and found a seller on Amazon UK who sold authentic Olaplex, but yeah, it's a pain to try and find one. If you go to the salon regularly, you could just include an Olaplex treatment as a part of your colouring process. That means you'll have 1 in the colour, and after rinsing out the colour, it will also be put into all of your non-processed hair (as in also the previously coloured hair). Then 2 will go on top of it for a good 10-20 minutes. That does more to my hair than the treatments I do at home with 2 only.

elfynity
October 2nd, 2018, 08:36 AM
My sister has literally indesctructable hiar. She can dye, bleach, heat style do literally anything she wants and have hair as long as she wants. It just grows and grows, and it grows out thick. Her hair isn't as thick as it was when she was younger, but she is probably glad as it caused her headaches and was difficult to manage. Actually my moms whole side of the family has in the 2s thick golden brown hair - and then there's me!!! LOL. So yeah, I believe this could be this woman's real hair.

Obsidian
October 2nd, 2018, 08:44 AM
I also think her hair looks quite dry and damaged with frizzy broken bits.

spidermom
October 2nd, 2018, 09:52 AM
I've ranted about how unfair this is, too. Appearances can be deceiving, however. Photos from when my hair was classic length are beautiful. Looking at them, it's even hard for me to believe how many split ends there were, but the bottom 7 inches were a damaged mess.

bparnell75
October 2nd, 2018, 10:17 AM
I bleached my hair for 30 years. loved being a blonde!! My hair was always lustrous and strong, no split ends. I even blow dried it often. It was even Mid back length just before I decided to grow out the bleach. I never followed the bleach instructions which tell you to drag the bleach from the roots to the end of the hair. That is where the damage comes in because the same hair shafts keep getting reprocessed.. I never let any one other than my self bleach my hair either. Also I never used any conditioning other than reg bottled conditioner. I did bun hair often. I have done this all my life. Toys and sticks are a new entry into my life 4 years.

Joules
October 2nd, 2018, 10:41 AM
@Joules- I'm not sure what you're trying to show in the pics? The first two look like her real hair to me, the last looks like she added extensions.

Before I posted this video, I watched others of her, the hair in the FB video is hers, they're not extensions.

First of all I wanted to show that she's not the type of gal who avoids hair extensions (not that there's something wrong with that, it's just a fact). Secondly if you compare the video with the photos, there's visible difference in length and thickness. I'm 99,9% sure she has extensions in that video and that's her big secret to healthy bleached hair.

amiraaah
October 2nd, 2018, 11:09 AM
personally,i think her hair is quite damaged and thin.but hair strand thickness matters,my bff uses heat a lot still have really thick healthy hair because her strands are very coarse.based on my experience,when it comes to heat damage,it doesn't happen overnight.i had classic length hair and straightened if for years i still my hair looked amazing.i used to get compliments about how thick and shiny my hair was.i cut it to shoulder back in 2014 i think while still using heat my hair grew to hip at least twice.it wasn't untill 2017 that i saw the damage and my hair felt like straw.a youtuber named lauren curtis had similar experience check her out if you want.
when it comes to dying my mom is the first person that comes to my mind.although she never uses heat but she started dying her hair when she was 13 years old.since then till now(she's is 44)she can't count how many times she dyed it.she dyed her hair all hair colors,still her hair is always healthy, thick and grows very fast.

nycelle
October 2nd, 2018, 11:25 AM
First of all I wanted to show that she's not the type of gal who avoids hair extensions (not that there's something wrong with that, it's just a fact). Secondly if you compare the video with the photos, there's visible difference in length and thickness. I'm 99,9% sure she has extensions in that video and that's her big secret to healthy bleached hair.

"First of all", her using extensions doesn't mean that her hair wasn't natural in the video. I'm 99.99% certain that was her real hair. My opinion is based on her earlier videos where you can clearly see that it's the exact same texture as 3-4 years ago. The only difference is length.

Dark40
October 2nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
I agree that it was all of her natural hair too. Her hair in the video is gorgeous!!! I love those lushous curls!!!

nycelle
October 2nd, 2018, 12:57 PM
Chances are that just pampering your hair otherwise will be sufficient. I like to do treatments with 2 at home, because I have more damage from about halfway down my hair. It's not necessary for my once-processed hair. I was lucky and found a seller on Amazon UK who sold authentic Olaplex, but yeah, it's a pain to try and find one. If you go to the salon regularly, you could just include an Olaplex treatment as a part of your colouring process. That means you'll have 1 in the colour, and after rinsing out the colour, it will also be put into all of your non-processed hair (as in also the previously coloured hair). Then 2 will go on top of it for a good 10-20 minutes. That does more to my hair than the treatments I do at home with 2 only.

Got it. I would be doing at a salon - probably every 8 weeks like I used when I was coloring.
Ok, so it's not necessary to do it at home for a single process. Good to know, thanks.

*Wednesday*
October 2nd, 2018, 01:02 PM
That video, that hair looks like it’s all hers. Maybe she blew it out for a smoother look. Hey, it doesn't look that bad for bleached/highlighted hair.

What got my notice, are those burns on her hand? Dam……look like that hurts.

lucid
October 3rd, 2018, 03:45 PM
What I mean by she's bleached a ton is she's constantly bleaching, not growing out, and the bleach has overlapped in areas.

The truth is, it's impossible to say how blonde she is. We don't know if she does root smudges, or just had her hair bleached. These days, there are plenty of brunettes who look like natural blondes but are far from it. I mean even her eyebrows looks natural, but if she's a blonde, they probably aren't, if she's a brunette, they probably are.. who knows.

It's quite obvious that she's a natural blonde, a light to medium blonde. Her eyebrows looks blonde as well, although they appears to be filled in. I don't get why you think her eyebrows are to dark for a blonde. They seem to match her roots quite well and it's also quite common to have a bit darker brows. They are very light for a brunette at least...

Honestly, I've seen many with healthy medium length bleached hair. They have all had naturally blonde hair, and medium or coarse strand thickness. I have dark blonde hair, and my hair can take several bleachings as long as I have above bsl hair, even though my hair is fine. I think most people get into trouble with bleach if they want very long hair.

Ylva
October 3rd, 2018, 04:40 PM
I think most people get into trouble with bleach if they want very long hair.

Hmm, I don't know about that. What's "very long hair" to you? I have fine-ish BCL hair and it's in good condition, except those bits that I've bleached more than once (some of them up to four times!). Despite that, they are in decent condition. Not terrible at all. I think it mostly depends on if you bleach more than once or not. One round of bleach is not all that damaging.

Dark40
October 3rd, 2018, 08:26 PM
Hmm, I don't know about that. What's "very long hair" to you? I have fine-ish BCL hair and it's in good condition, except those bits that I've bleached more than once (some of them up to four times!). Despite that, they are in decent condition. Not terrible at all. I think it mostly depends on if you bleach more than once or not. One round of bleach is not all that damaging.

I agree. When I used to bleach my hair I would only bleach once, and it wasn't damaging at all. My was also in decent condition. It didn't look or feel like straw or anything, and it was APL.

lucid
October 3rd, 2018, 08:58 PM

I didn't think of a specific length, just long hair in general. At some point most people will get into trouble, or their hair would have been in a noticeably better condition if it was virgin. Personally, I start seeing damage from bleach when my hair is longer than bsl, even with only one round, but it's more towards the bottom (bcl). I have fine hair. My hair still looks good, but the difference of the bleached strands and virgin strands are huge at the bottom. Above bsl there aren't really any difference at all.

It also depends on what you consider decent condition, how much damage are you ok with, and so on. What I noticed with my hair is more tangles, and I absolutely hate it.... in addition, I have breakage in the bleached strands. Just judging by looks and feels, it's in great condition tho..

But by very long I'm thinking hip and longer. To answer your question. And I also wrote most, so I by no means think it applies for absolutely everyone :)

Ylva
October 4th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I didn't think of a specific length, just long hair in general. At some point most people will get into trouble, or their hair would have been in a noticeably better condition if it was virgin. Personally, I start seeing damage from bleach when my hair is longer than bsl, even with only one round, but it's more towards the bottom (bcl). I have fine hair. My hair still looks good, but the difference of the bleached strands and virgin strands are huge at the bottom. Above bsl there aren't really any difference at all.

It also depends on what you consider decent condition, how much damage are you ok with, and so on. What I noticed with my hair is more tangles, and I absolutely hate it.... in addition, I have breakage in the bleached strands. Just judging by looks and feels, it's in great condition tho..

But by very long I'm thinking hip and longer. To answer your question. And I also wrote most, so I by no means think it applies for absolutely everyone :)

I understand. Of course bleached hair can never be at 100% of its potential, but I'd like to think it can be very close, even at longer lengths, if taken proper care of, but it might require a bit more than virgin hair. My goal is to get a full classic once-processed hair, so it remains to be seen how the ends will be. If it doesn't work out then I might finally make the decision to grow out virgin hair, but I need to see it for myself first. It's worth a shot. :)

spidermom
October 4th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Hair can vary a lot in what it will and will not take. I had bleached highlights in my hair years ago, and the bleached bits were awful. They seemed to swell up and pouf out right away, later breaking off like crazy all over the place.

lucid
October 4th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I understand. Of course bleached hair can never be at 100% of its potential, but I'd like to think it can be very close, even at longer lengths, if taken proper care of, but it might require a bit more than virgin hair. My goal is to get a full classic once-processed hair, so it remains to be seen how the ends will be. If it doesn't work out then I might finally make the decision to grow out virgin hair, but I need to see it for myself first. It's worth a shot. :)

I hope it works out for you! Your hair and color looks very nice in your avatar :)

Ylva
October 4th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I hope it works out for you! Your hair and color looks very nice in your avatar :)

Thank you so much! :)