PDA

View Full Version : Hair Doesn't Grow Long On The Sides

UP Lisa
November 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Does anyone else have hair that doesn't grow very long on the sides or in the front? My bangs and the hair by my ears doesn't want to grow longer than just past my chin. This makes for not much hair on the sides that is as long as the hair in the back.

ilovelonghair
November 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I got that too, but not all the hair on the front and sides is short, part of it is long. I can always pull out bangs if I want to, but I hope to get rid of them.
I think the reason can be my glasses: they always used to pull out a few hairs every day. But I got new glasses now, so hopefully my hair can start all growing long.

jivete
November 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Mine is always shorter on the sides no matter what length the back is, but I think that's because it's thinner and breaks more easily from handling.

blackice
November 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I have the same issue. My hair grows like a weed at the crown and in the back and my bangs will grow to my collarbone but its thin and see through, same with the sides. I have also tried everything I could think of to get some growth in these areas with no success. It looks weird to have thick healthy hair in the back but thin and see through in the front and sides:(.

RavennaNight
November 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
my hair around my temples doesn't like to grow long, at all.

UP Lisa
November 3rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

LutraLutra
November 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
My hair is really, really fine (as in thin) around my temples, going to super thick at the back of my head. I sued to think this was weird, but it seems like a lot of people have to same kind of hair pattern.

Heidi_234
November 3rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah LutraLutra, My hair's very thin too closer to the temples! I thought it was a bad sign, as like areas that shed more, but now I see I'm not alone like this.

Heidi_234
November 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I woke up this morning (yes it's relevant) and a bright thought crossed my mind.
Could it be so because we spent most of the night sleeping on the sides of our heads?
I sleep on my stomach, and my head is on the pillow either on one side or the other. So could it be possible that the temples rubbing against the pillow daily (nightly?) prevent from hair to grow/ thins it?
Do you guys sleep rest your head on the side when sleeping?

Anje
November 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I'm another -- my former bang hair doesn't seem to grow as long, or at least as quickly, as the rest of my hair. I've been attempting to blunt-cut it, but I may be destined for a U hemline because the sides are permanently playing catch-up. It's not that they aren't growing, but there are many more short hairs in that region than there are long ones, and I think I have more breakage in that area, too.

My temples have some funny tufts that are very wavy and permanently about 4 inches long. Usually I can comb them into the rest of the hair, but on windy days it looks like I have horns.

suicides_eve
November 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
count me in my bangs/ temple region only grow like 1/4" a month it seems- very slow

UP Lisa
November 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Anie! I see you have the same hair type as me.

Lisa

missy60
November 5th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I have the same problem. My sides will grow but I have a natural U shaped hem line which would turn into a V very easily if I didnt trim the middle alot.

Gumball
November 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
The hair on the sides of my head, particularly around the temple areas, has a really short terminal length. Most of it is less than two inches or so. Usually it really frustrates me as it limits some of the things I'd like to do, but I make the most of it. :) They're big sections on the sides, but what can I really do?

neon-dream
November 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I think it's just because we handle our hair too much at the front
I don't know if mine's naturally shorter at the front or anything, because my hair's cut into a V shape anyways :)
xxxx

UP Lisa
November 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Mostly it just bothers me because I can't get it all into a low hairstyle. I have to put it high on my head if I want the front to stay in.

MAO
November 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm another -- my former bang hair doesn't seem to grow as long, or at least as quickly, as the rest of my hair. I've been attempting to blunt-cut it, but I may be destined for a U hemline because the sides are permanently playing catch-up. It's not that they aren't growing, but there are many more short hairs in that region than there are long ones, and I think I have more breakage in that area, too.

My temples have some funny tufts that are very wavy and permanently about 4 inches long. Usually I can comb them into the rest of the hair, but on windy days it looks like I have horns.
Yay! I am so happy to know I am not the only person who has to deal with 'horns'! Mine are super curly where the rest of my hair is not, which I always thought kinda odd.....anyways, these curly horns have been the bane of my existence for as long as I can remember and are responsible for every bad hair day I have ever had!!! Up until my early twenties, I always had bangs which required me to straighten them every morning which was a waste of time b/c they would kink up again at the slightest hint of moisture. ARRRGHHH!

RocketDog
November 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have the same 'mohawk' pattern to my hair - thin at temples but THICK at my crown and around back. I just deal with it, and try not to pull that hair too tight when it's up.

Áine
November 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I have a little bit of that happening too. Perhaps it is the type of hair that's somewhere in between shorter, finer vellus (body) hair, and the terminal hair that's on the scalp. They are both governed by different hormones, so maybe that in-between hair is a hybrid of both.

Also, I thought about the different hairs on our head, and the kind of stress it takes during updo's and other styles. Do you think the outer canopy portions of our hair receive the most stress when putting our hair up and since it is most exposed to the elements?

mahoganyhorizon
November 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
This seems to be an issue for me too. Wow, it's nice to know that lots of people have that issue!

Alethia
November 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
My hair is 46" long, but the hair just in front of my ears tapers off at about chest length. It's not broken or damaged - the ends are virgin, tapered ends with no splits - it just grows to that length. It's also finer and more sparse. Around my front hairline the hair is similar. I always have wispy new growth springing out of updos in the wind. I fooled myself for a while thinking it was post-natal, but it's no better now and my hair's stopped at 3" girth at the nape and rapidly tapers off so I think this is normal for me.

I'm curious, do any of the rest of you with this pattern of growth have a fairly high shed rate? I shed loads - at least 80-100 hairs/day.

Altocumulus
November 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I have a similar growth pattern and a fairly high shed rate. I do think they're related - a higher percentage of my hair reaches terminal in a shorter period of time. Growing out my henna has revealed that the hair at my temples and forehead grows about half as quickly as the hair elsewhere on my head. It's also curlier and finer.

I have had some success getting the sides to grow longer by switching to a satin pillowcase, but I always have wispies and horns.

Deborah
November 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
My sides will grow long, but not as fast as the back. I cut it straight across, and it always grows into a U shape. But I always have a few baby hairs around my face and at the nape of my neck. I don't know if they result from breakage, or just don't grow long. They range from about 4 to 6 inches in length. I don't worry about them, and when they get loose, I just push them back out of the way.

tiny_teesha
November 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Mine is similar, the right side is finer, thinner and slower growing then the left. I just have to deal with it! :)

Vitalai
November 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
While the rest of my hair is APL, the hair around my temples are thinner and a bit above shoulder-length. It doesn't seem to be growing any either.

Zindell
November 6th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I had the same problem. My sidehair was never longer than just past chinlength. About a year ago I got tired of it and cut a blunt (longish) bob. All hair the same length. (Except bangs)

After some time the hair reached my shoulders and I got a long stall. I am guessing it got some breakage from constantly stroking againts the top of my shoulders. The backhair not as much as my sidehairs. But this time I did not use any scissors. I let the slightly damaged hair just grow quite a bit past my shoulders and then cut it.

Now my sidehair is finally as long as my backhair. :)

Next step will be my bangs... I am growing them out and I am prepared for the "damage against shoulder part" in some months. I will use the same method and not cutting them until they are way past the shoulder tops.

Addy
November 6th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I have this too. I have noticed though that my baby bang hair has grown a little more since using MN. I'm still waiting for the sides near my temples to grow but eh... not yet. I'm used to it though so no biggie.