PDA

View Full Version : Hair Fall

@deepika
September 30th, 2018, 12:43 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new to LHC, this is my first post. I am suffering from severe hair loss from the crown area. Kindly suggest some solutions.
Thanks in advance.

Stray_mind
September 30th, 2018, 01:29 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new to LHC, this is my first post. I am suffering from severe hair loss from the crown area. Kindly suggest some solutions.
Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to LHC!

Do you eat healthy and balanced diet? Do you suffer some kind of daily stress? Do you get enough rest?

These might be the reasons for your hair fall. I think the best way about it would be to see a doctor to find out if you don't have some kind of underlying illness. Get your blood work done and see a dermatologist. :)

Good luck!

illicitlizard
September 30th, 2018, 02:13 AM
Welcome to LHC! I agree with Stray_mind, if you can't point to a life event (anaesthesia, extreme stress, a change in hair product/styling) that may be the cause, then it's a good idea to get some blood work done.

It's best to not go the route of throwing solutions at hair loss and seeing what sticks when you don't know the root cause.

lapushka
September 30th, 2018, 04:25 AM
What's your routine like? Your diet?

Also, we're in fall, so some shed more during this time.

Is your hair noticeably getting thinner or not? If so, I would go to a doctor asap. If not, chalk it up to stress or fall time and know it will pass.

Joules
September 30th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Stress, malnourishment or illness-related shedding usually happens evenly throughout the entire scalp, if that makes sense, if hair is falling out from one particular area most likely it's something else. Severe hair loss from the crown area indicates androgenetic alopecia/female pattern baldness.

Go to a trichologist ASAP!!! FPB is easily treatable, if you catch it soon enough you can regain thickness fully.

TatsuOni
September 30th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Welcome! :) I've got nothing more to add, since all have already been said :)

@deepika
September 30th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Hi
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I mostly eat home cooked food and since I am vegetarian, I don't think I get enough of protein. Though in the past I used to drink protein shakes but that gave me acne, so I had to stop drinking. Also, I got my blood tests done, I am iron deficient. So i took pills for that but after 6 months or so...I was again deficient for Iron. I mean I can't take pills my entire life. Doctors are saying that your body can't absorb iron, so you have to rely on supplements.
About stress, well I have mild stress because I am a 26 year old girl and suffering from hair fall (my scalp is visible) and face full of acne ( doctors says its hormonal). I tried every possible medicine for acne but it doesn't help it cure. I mean I have less breakouts when I take medicines but after stopping the intake, again I have face full of pimples. I tried every possible diet on earth but nothing is helping. I am litterally shattered and most of the time I don't feel like going out because of my appearance.

JillRenee
September 30th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Please visit an endocrinologist. It is possible you have a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos). The symptoms you decribe match those of PCOS. Your hair loss could be caused by another health problem that needs treatment.

Nutrition and adequate iron intake are also very important, but they may not have the effect you want if you have an underlying health problem that needs treated. Please do visit a doctor and mention the possibility of PSOS. It can increase your risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. After my diagnosis and treatment the acne went away totally (I was in my 40's!).
I am 51 and still manage to retain my hair.

JillRenee
September 30th, 2018, 08:57 AM
I feel sad that you don't feel like going out because of your appearance, I can totally relate. PCOS caused my to gain an extreme amount of weight (although not everyone with the syndrome becomes heavy.) I also suffered from infertility, acne into my 40's, dandruff, and cramps, and menstral difficulties, which is how my problem eventually was noticed and diagnosed. There are several medications that can help, depending on what hormones are out of balance. My acne has been gone for years now, and no bald spots. If you get your hormones checked and you don't have PCOS, at least you can check that off your list. The doctor could find other solutions to help you.

rochi
September 30th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I'm new as well! I think my hair falls because of my seborrheic dermatitis. I got blood tests done and everything is okay. And there is no other apparent reason, so :shrug:
Do you have dandruff?

TreesOfEternity
September 30th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Hi
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I mostly eat home cooked food and since I am vegetarian, I don't think I get enough of protein. Though in the past I used to drink protein shakes but that gave me acne, so I had to stop drinking. Also, I got my blood tests done, I am iron deficient. So i took pills for that but after 6 months or so...I was again deficient for Iron. I mean I can't take pills my entire life. Doctors are saying that your body can't absorb iron, so you have to rely on supplements.
About stress, well I have mild stress because I am a 26 year old girl and suffering from hair fall (my scalp is visible) and face full of acne ( doctors says its hormonal). I tried every possible medicine for acne but it doesn't help it cure. I mean I have less breakouts when I take medicines but after stopping the intake, again I have face full of pimples. I tried every possible diet on earth but nothing is helping. I am litterally shattered and most of the time I don't feel like going out because of my appearance.

May I ask which medicines did you take for acne? if you took isotretinoin and did the whole treatment correctly, I think it's almost impossible that you still have acne.
As someone else said, I would go to the ginecologist and endocrinologist to know which hormonal condition you have and start a treatment. If acne is severe, I would tell my doctor and visit a dermatologist to make an isotretinoin treatment.
As for the iron deficiency, if your doctor told you to take supplements for better absorption you should continue taking them, why do you say you can't take pills your entire life? there's nothing wrong with that.

If protein shakes give you more acne, and I guess those shakes where made from whey protein, you may not tolerate lactose really well as most people. And vegetarians tend to eat so much lactose, so that may be making acne worse.
If you eat the recomended ammount of calories for your height and weight it's 100% impossible that you have a protein deficience, so don't stress about that. Focus on your iron levels and start that hormonal treatment and you will be fine :flower:

lapushka
September 30th, 2018, 10:23 AM
As for the iron deficiency, if your doctor told you to take supplements for better absorption you should continue taking them, why do you say you can't take pills your entire life? there's nothing wrong with that.

^^ Agree. It certainly beats being deficient in iron, because iron deficiency is notorious for hair loss!

erebus
September 30th, 2018, 11:52 AM
For the iron deficiency, you can try cooking in cast iron pans. It might sound odd but your food will pick up iron that you body can absorb, hard to say if that's sufficient though. Eating vitamin-C rich foods also helps iron absorption (I think you have to eat the vitamin-C around the same time).

MusicalSpoons
September 30th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I don't wish to come across as insensitive or flippant, but yes you really can take tablets every day for the rest of your life - especially if it helps your body to actually function :flower: you say you're shattered - do you mean shattered as in exhausted, or shattered as in no confidence? Either way I'm sorry to hear that, but if you mean incredibly tired than yes the iron will help with that too. erebus is correct, vitamin C helps iron to be absorbed so taking iron at the same time as a vit C supplement or vit C-rich food is wise :thumbsup: cooking in cast iron pans can help, but as you're deficient it won't be enough for you.

Doreen
September 30th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I take iron pills along with several other pills every day, not for my hair but for my overall health. Do I enjoy taking pills? No. But I enjoy feeling well and getting to do the things I love! Don't feel like taking pills is a concession that you are weak in some way. Medicines for the most part are just another form of technology that helps improve our lives. I try to think about it like wearingg glasses. My eyes aren't perfect so I use them to correct my vision. My organs don't work perfectly so I use the medicine to correct their function. It seems like the iron pills and acne medicine was helping you before you decided to stop.

Deborah
October 1st, 2018, 10:26 AM
I don't like to take pills either, but if properly prescribed, they can be a happy trade off for better quality of life.

lapushka
October 1st, 2018, 11:13 AM
I take iron pills along with several other pills every day, not for my hair but for my overall health. Do I enjoy taking pills? No. But I enjoy feeling well and getting to do the things I love! Don't feel like taking pills is a concession that you are weak in some way. Medicines for the most part are just another form of technology that helps improve our lives. I try to think about it like wearingg glasses. My eyes aren't perfect so I use them to correct my vision. My organs don't work perfectly so I use the medicine to correct their function. It seems like the iron pills and acne medicine was helping you before you decided to stop.

I don't like to take pills either, but if properly prescribed, they can be a happy trade off for better quality of life.

I have to tell you, I was never a pill-taker, OMG; no! But ever since developing chronic nerve pain, boy, you best believe I take my medication. If it is necessary for a better quality of life, then IMO, it is justified.

Now I realize medication is not the same as a supplement or a vitamin, but if it's needed for good bodily function, then by all means, why not?

MusicalSpoons
October 1st, 2018, 11:20 AM

I'll shut up after this, but I totally agree with both these comments. I take supplements and also prescription medication every day - neither of these are vital for keeping me alive, but the prescription medication helps me to function as far as possible. The supplements are because I'm low in those nutrients, and although not all of them were directly recommended by the doctor, she did agree it was a good idea to keep taking them.

I hope you can find things that help you, and keep doing/taking whatever it is that helps :flower: