PDA

View Full Version : My ends are fairytaling...

FallingDarkness
September 28th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I think I like it. It's kinda elegant. But I desperately need a trim because my hair is (gasp) getting too long again. I never thought I'd reach a point where my hair would be too long lol. I also kinda enjoyed having a thick hemline, and I'm afraid that some people might interpret this as damage. Not that I really care what others think of my hair because it's so gorgeous and all that jazz, but people can be rude and I'd rather not deal with people trying to tell me that I need a hair cut.

I should take a pic of my hair and post it here so you guys have context.

Anyway. I guess I"m wondering what your guys' experience with fairytale ends are, what other people have said about your hair when you display your beautiful fairytale ends, and I guess also what you prefer, because when I go in for a trim it's gonna determine how much I get off. I'm pretty indecisive at this point so don't worry about being like "it's your hair do what you want" - I don't know what I want lol :D

Thanks team.

lapushka
September 28th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Have you posted a picture, because I don't see one? If the hair in your avatar is current, I see no fairytaling going on. :flower:

Ylva
September 28th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Here are my fairytale ends: https://image.ibb.co/c7k9HU/hius21syys18.jpg

My hairdresser would happily cut me to BSL and opposes me doing no-trimming until July 2019. According to her, I quote, "having three hairs on your ends doesn't look healthy". Fellow longhairs told me to ignore her opinion. After all, the thickness of your ends has nothing to do with the actual health of your hair. I do have notably more damage about halfway down my hair, but realistically, my ends aren't in any kind of terrible condition and they can keep enjoying the ride just fine for now.

Unless a thick hemline is one's absolute preference, I see no reason to strive for it just to avoid other people's comments. I do understand that it's not nice, but really, it's only your opinion that matters. They'll only spend like a maximum of one minute thinking about your hair anyway, so it really doesn't matter what their opinions are.

Doreen
September 28th, 2018, 02:58 PM
At calf my ends were starting to fairytale, I was getting braid shred, and I realized I like a thick hemline. I cut back in stages and am now at classic. I do braids often and my goal is to have a uniform braid thickness. I like the look of fairytale ends when the hair is loose, but I rarely wear my hair loose in public so I realized they're just not for me. Thinking about how you like to wear your hair in general might help you decide. Fairytale ends made buns slightly easier (didn't have a blunt piece of hair sticking out if the bun got loose). People will make unsolicited comments on your long hair, fairytale ends or not, so try not to worry too much about it.

Alex Lou
September 28th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Here are my fairytale ends: https://image.ibb.co/c7k9HU/hius21syys18.jpg

My hairdresser would happily cut me to BSL and opposes me doing no-trimming until July 2019. According to her, I quote, "having three hairs on your ends doesn't look healthy". Fellow longhairs told me to ignore her opinion. After all, the thickness of your ends has nothing to do with the actual health of your hair. I do have notably more damage about halfway down my hair, but realistically, my ends aren't in any kind of terrible condition and they can keep enjoying the ride just fine for now.

Unless a thick hemline is one's absolute preference, I see no reason to strive for it just to avoid other people's comments. I do understand that it's not nice, but really, it's only your opinion that matters. They'll only spend like a maximum of one minute thinking about your hair anyway, so it really doesn't matter what their opinions are.

Beautiful! I love fairytale ends.

lithostoic
September 28th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I had fairytale ends most of of my childhood and early teens! I liked the way it looked with a long blunt cut.

JennGalt
September 28th, 2018, 05:22 PM
I’ve got very fairytale-y ends. I hate it when they clump because they look super thin then. My hair doesn’t like to lay flat, and rarely lays the same way day-to-day, and with my weird loosened curl pattern can look ragged. (When my curls are at their flattest and my ends are all pointing the same direction, I actually have an ok hemline in a deep fairytaled U-shape—but this is rare .) I still get compliments from strangers and a few friends though.

When it’s doing its ragged thing or its best humidity-inspired Sideshow Bob impression, my punk and metalhead buds think it looks “badass” and a few strangers have told me I pull off the “wild, curly” look pretty well. I don’t always agree, but I guess it’s nice that it looks like it’s done on purpose.

Ylva
September 28th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Beautiful! I love fairytale ends.

Thank you kindly! :flower:

FallingDarkness
September 28th, 2018, 11:23 PM
That pic is about a year old because I've been maintaining around that length for a while now, so no real reason to update my avatar. I'll post a pic of my ends tomorrow.

I generally just braid my hair as of late, because I finally got a boyfriend and it's hard to wear my hair in a bun and put my head on his chest while we watch TV at the same time. I wear my hair down a few times a month tho, because I enjoy having long hair, and since I'm not actively growing it out anymore I'm not *quite* as cautious about damaging it. So idk. Might be worth the fairytail. Altho TBH I like the look of braids in general when they came from a blunt/thick hemline, but I do enjoy putting my hair in ponytails and admiring my fairytailing ends in the mirror... Hmm.

Ligeia Noire
September 28th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Everyone gets fairytale ends eventually if they keep growing and don't trim. It is just the nature of the beast.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 29th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Oh my goodness, your hair looks AMAZING! :crush: You keep those ends!

Margarita
September 29th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Personally, i dont like fairytale ends :/ I havent trim my hair almost 6 months now and my hair already is close to reach the mid of my back and i havent noticed any fairytale ends. I know, its still early, and my hair is curly so i think i would be difficult. I really need to microtrim my hair. Your hair is so beautiful!!!!!!

squirrrel
September 29th, 2018, 02:17 AM
I think it’s natural for a hair dresser to encourage regular trims (and to make it seem like they are in your best interests. It’s not good for business if your clientele doesn’t visit regularly, especially for such a basic, regular event (in societies eyes at least) as a haircut.

Definitely best if you decide what works best for the way you style your beautiful hair, and leave it at that.

VersLaLumière
September 29th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Your hair is gorgeous !! It doesn’t look damaged or unhealthy. I think the fairytale ends look good on you. To me fairytailing looks better on certain people and hair types than others, and it also depends on the condition of the hair. But I think you pull it off well, very pretty.

My ends are thinner as I’ve been hardly trimming at all since APL (this past year especially), and even though I’d prefer to have them thicker I still won’t cut it until I get to a place where I’m ready to maintain.

2gaits
September 29th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Very pretty. I think the fairy tale ends look great. I would just microtrim or dust the ends if you want to try to eventually get a thicker hem.

saras
September 30th, 2018, 01:27 AM
Your hair is such a lovely color! I've only just started growing my hair out, so I haven't had to worry about this yet, but I think you should listen to your own instincts about this rather than the hairdresser's. It is in her best interest to have you come back often, of course, and while there's nothing wrong with that, it does't mean you have to listen.

Hairkay
September 30th, 2018, 02:47 AM
Fairy tail ends are fine if you are happy with them. I keep my hair plaited/braided and I need the taper to keep my plaits neat. That means I do not need to use hair elastics on the ends of my hair. Even when I do an annual trim there is some unravelling when I next plait my hair. That's why I dread to think of what would happen if I had a blunt cut. Besides I have noticed that hair growing longer has a pattern of some hair strands getting longer first and eventually others catch up.

spidermom
September 30th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Your hair is gorgeous !! It doesn’t look damaged or unhealthy. I think the fairytale ends look good on you. To me fairytailing looks better on certain people and hair types than others, and it also depends on the condition of the hair. But I think you pull it off well, very pretty.

My ends are thinner as I’ve been hardly trimming at all since APL (this past year especially), and even though I’d prefer to have them thicker I still won’t cut it until I get to a place where I’m ready to maintain.

I'm not seeing a picture.

MusicalSpoons
September 30th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I'm not seeing a picture.

Me neither - maybe people mistook Ylva's picture (linked, not embedded) as being the OP's?