PDA

View Full Version : Cut layers out or grow out?

Equestrianchic
September 28th, 2018, 04:04 AM
Hi girlies and guys!
So, im just reaching shoulder length after cutting damage out gradually, and I'm really happy with the health of my hair and things, except for my layers, they annoy me beyond belief.
I'm contemplating cutting my hair all one length which would set me back with my growth but I feel like these layers are never going to go unless I just cut them out and then focus on growing after that:rolleyes:
What do you guys think? Has anyone else done anything similar?

paulownia
September 28th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Personally I would cut;)
I know that growing out layers can be a real pain in the butt. I have some layers (self-inflicted I have to admit ;) and they are irritating.
How much you would need to cut? Maybe trimming a litte once a month or so would help.
There is a thread here on growing out layers, check it for some advice https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351&page=136

Obsidian
September 28th, 2018, 04:47 AM
I think if you are ok with the short length and the layers are really bothersome, then cutting them out all at once is the way to go.
Personally, slowly trimming away layers or damage isn't something I can do. I'd rather cut a significant portion all at once.
I'm due to cut away some layers soon. I'm trying to wait until Jan though. I'd like a bit more length on the sides first.

lapushka
September 28th, 2018, 05:09 AM
I would go slow. I would join the microtrimming threads on here and trim the layers out slowly. This way you can keep your growth.

Equestrianchic
September 28th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Thanks everyone! It's not going to be a wholeee lot shorter but definitely the shortest I've had it for a while!
It's just another part of my journey! I think I'm going to go for it and cut them out, the quicker I do it the quicker I can focus on gaining length.
I feel like my layers make me want to trim my hair more often anyway, so in the long run it's probably going to be better��thanks guys!

spidermom
September 28th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I'm going to let my hair grow out layered. Due to the shed and regrow cycle, I always have hairs of every length anyway. There's no such thing as "all one length" hair.

Equestrianchic
September 29th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Hi girls!

Update: I think I'm actually going to leave cutting the layers out until January/February so I don't have to put up with reaally short hair as beautiful it is. I'm so indecisive and I just know I'll probably regret it :p

Deborah
October 1st, 2018, 10:28 AM
It really is just a matter of which makes you happier.