PDA

View Full Version : Hair Treatment and Mask Recommendations?

nikittyy
September 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Hey guys! I have baby fine, rather thin hair that is a bit coarse and slightly wavy. It suffers from split ends and heat damage inflicted by me (guilty as charged). I am on the hunt for some hair treatments or masks that are actually effective!

I have used Garnier Fructis Whole Blends hair mask treatments, and those seem to work really well on my hair. I also love the way they smell! I almost tried a mask by Hask, but I saw a poster on here that said it did nothing for her hair so I second guessed myself. What are your guys' favorite masks, and what do they do to your hair?

Also, I don't really understand what hair oils are, what they do, or where you can buy them.

kph12
September 26th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I also suffer from split ends and heat damage. I've been using AG Reconstruct deep conditioning treatment and I think it's made a noticeable difference. I notice less split ends and breakage overall and it makes my hair really nice and smooth and silky. It does contain silicone's though.

Zesty
September 26th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I don't know where you're located, but my favorite mask is the "garlic" Vatika mask I found at the local Indian grocery store. (I promise it doesn't stink.)

Someone else might be able to recommend a protein treatment if your hair is damaged and warrants it, but I've never done one.

As far as hair oils go... do you have specific questions? As it might suggest, they're oils that you put on your hair. :shrug: It can be a bit overwhelming at first because they have so many uses. They can help with slip and make hair more supple, they can lock in moisture, sometimes they penetrate and strengthen the hair shaft. There are lots of ways to use them. I like doing a very heavily oiling right before washing with coconut (also Vatika brand) or almond oil. I also use amla oil (Dabur brand from the Indian grocery -- can you see a theme here?) very lightly on dry hair between washes. It makes my hair really soft and smooth.

If you don't have an Indian grocery around, you can get them online or at health food stores.

Ylva
September 26th, 2018, 09:35 AM
This is my absolute favorite hair mask: http://oherbal.eu/product/%D0%BC%D0%B0sk-for-dry-and-damaged-hair-with-flax-extract-500ml/

I use it on every wash (twice a week) as a second conditioner. Before it I use a lighter, hydrating, detangling conditioner. The mask, containing protein, seems to "hold my hair together" and give it strength and a more slippery surface. It's also hydrating in itself.

Red.
September 26th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I just did a Hask mask last night and my hair loved it. I used the Argan one and it made my hair feel soft and moisturized.

nycelle
September 26th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Is your hair baby fine, or coarse?

For medium to coarse hair, my favorite all time treatment is Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair mask! With regular use- once a week, my hair pretty much stopped breaking. It also left my hair very soft. It's pricey though.

If your hair is baby fine, then I wouldn't use it as it might be too heavy.

nikittyy
September 26th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I also suffer from split ends and heat damage. I've been using AG Reconstruct deep conditioning treatment and I think it's made a noticeable difference. I notice less split ends and breakage overall and it makes my hair really nice and smooth and silky. It does contain silicone's though.

What exactly are silicones and sulfates and why are they bad for your hair? How do you know if they're in the hair products you're using?

nikittyy
September 26th, 2018, 11:47 AM
I don't know where you're located, but my favorite mask is the "garlic" Vatika mask I found at the local Indian grocery store. (I promise it doesn't stink.)

Someone else might be able to recommend a protein treatment if your hair is damaged and warrants it, but I've never done one.

As far as hair oils go... do you have specific questions? As it might suggest, they're oils that you put on your hair. :shrug: It can be a bit overwhelming at first because they have so many uses. They can help with slip and make hair more supple, they can lock in moisture, sometimes they penetrate and strengthen the hair shaft. There are lots of ways to use them. I like doing a very heavily oiling right before washing with coconut (also Vatika brand) or almond oil. I also use amla oil (Dabur brand from the Indian grocery -- can you see a theme here?) very lightly on dry hair between washes. It makes my hair really soft and smooth.

If you don't have an Indian grocery around, you can get them online or at health food stores.

What does a protein treatment do for your hair?

nikittyy
September 26th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Is your hair baby fine, or coarse?

For medium to coarse hair, my favorite all time treatment is Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair mask! With regular use- once a week, my hair pretty much stopped breaking. It also left my hair very soft. It's pricey though.

If your hair is baby fine, then I wouldn't use it as it might be too heavy.

I think it's both. It's always been described by hairdressers as, "fine, but you have a lot of it." When it dries naturally wavy, it isn't soft and silky like it is when I straighten it, it's rougher and frizzier and just generally feels... coarse.

Ylva
September 26th, 2018, 12:02 PM
What exactly are silicones and sulfates and why are they bad for your hair? How do you know if they're in the hair products you're using?

Sulfates are detergents that clean the hair and scalp. They aren't bad for the hair, but they can cause some people's hair and/or scalp to dry out or they can irritate a sensitive scalp, and thus don't work for everyone equally. Sulfates commonly end with sulfate, sulfonate or sulfosuccinate, but the best way to make sure is to google the top few ingredients and see what they are.

Silicones aren't bad for the hair either, but they don't suit everyone's hair. Silicones form a thin layer on top of the hair, preventing moisture from getting in or out. They can cause buildup if not removed every now and then. How quickly they cause buildup is individual, but they tend to require sulfates to be removed, unless they are water soluble silicones (with PEG in front of it). For example, I don't use silicones at all, because I like to avoid washing the lengths of my hair as much as possible. Silicones usually end in -cone, -conol or -xane, probably something else too, but I can't remember all the endings right now.

Zesty
September 26th, 2018, 12:19 PM
What does a protein treatment do for your hair?

If your hair is damaged, it has lost protein and can be structurally compromised. A protein treatment sort of reinforces it. I hear it talked about most often with bleach damage I think.

I'm not super well versed because I've never done one, maybe someone else can explain it better than me. :)

Zesty
September 26th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Also bravo Ylva, that is a great distilled explanation (IMO).

lakhesis
September 26th, 2018, 03:33 PM
I recommend trying SMT, it's popular around here, it's cheap and it really saved my hair :)
Here's the instructions:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Arciela
September 26th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I recommend trying SMT, it's popular around here, it's cheap and it really saved my hair :)
Here's the instructions:

Came here to recommend this as well :) It helps so much! Easy to do also :flower:

Alissalocks
September 26th, 2018, 03:55 PM
That's another post from me recommending SMT also. It's easy, cheap and beneficial.

Hask brand deep conditioning masks are nice, with or with the rest of the ingredients in the above.

elfynity
September 26th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Hey guys! I have baby fine, rather thin hair that is a bit coarse and slightly wavy. It suffers from split ends and heat damage inflicted by me (guilty as charged). I am on the hunt for some hair treatments or masks that are actually effective!

I have used Garnier Fructis Whole Blends hair mask treatments, and those seem to work really well on my hair. I also love the way they smell! I almost tried a mask by Hask, but I saw a poster on here that said it did nothing for her hair so I second guessed myself. What are your guys' favorite masks, and what do they do to your hair?

Also, I don't really understand what hair oils are, what they do, or where you can buy them.

I think it's both. It's always been described by hairdressers as, "fine, but you have a lot of it." When it dries naturally wavy, it isn't soft and silky like it is when I straighten it, it's rougher and frizzier and just generally feels... coarse.

Hi Nikkittyy, thin but feels rough? - sounds like damage to me, your hair cuticles are sticking up probably and very dry. Here is a picture that shows where I think your roughness is coming from:

http://www.deartehair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Healthy-hair-vs-damaged-hair.jpg

I would SMT using an organic conditioner that has no silicones - but then I'm an organic girl! I think silicones will be ok after you have moisturised your hair to seal it all in. Using conditioner, honey dissolved in water or aloe vera each on their own is also good too. Leave in or wash out, whatever you prefer.

You can use any oil you feel like and take a liking too, it's an adventure. Oils seal everything in. I feel that moisture is so much more of a big deal than oils. Oils can set you back a whole 'drying' wash if you use too much and land up being a greasy mess. I use mine sparingly.

Doreen
September 26th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I actually like the Hask masks and they are usually pretty cheap so it might be worth a try. I like the argan one a lot.

nikittyy
September 26th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Hi Nikkittyy, thin but feels rough? - sounds like damage to me, your hair cuticles are sticking up probably and very dry. Here is a picture that shows where I think your roughness is coming from:

http://www.deartehair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Healthy-hair-vs-damaged-hair.jpg

I would SMT using an organic conditioner that has no silicones - but then I'm an organic girl! I think silicones will be ok after you have moisturised your hair to seal it all in. Using conditioner, honey dissolved in water or aloe vera each on their own is also good too. Leave in or wash out, whatever you prefer.

You can use any oil you feel like and take a liking too, it's an adventure. Oils seal everything in. I feel that moisture is so much more of a big deal than oils. Oils can set you back a whole 'drying' wash if you use too much and land up being a greasy mess. I use mine sparingly.

Huh, thank you for the information! Yes it's most likely damage, as up until a few months ago I overused heat on my hair. I'm talking blow drying and then straightening after taking a shower, and then straightening my hair every single day until I washed it again. Oh, and I wouldn't use heat protectant.

Are there any organic conditioners that you recommend that are available at the drugstore? I'm located in the midwest, so Walmart or Target are typically my go to.

littlestarface
September 26th, 2018, 04:33 PM
I actually like the Hask masks and they are usually pretty cheap so it might be worth a try. I like the argan one a lot.

The argan one is my favorite! I also adore the redken protein mask that one is like wooow!

Dark40
September 26th, 2018, 08:33 PM
When I was younger I used to suffer with split ends too but not anymore. My favorite hair treatment or deep conditioner is Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream by, "Queen Helene," and my favorite hair mask is Hask Macadamia Deep Conditioner. I love the way that smells too!!! Oils do the same as deep conditioners do which is moisturizing the hair. You need to seal in the moisture with some type of oil. You can purchase some online at amazon, walmart, and at anyone of your local beauty supply stores.

illicitlizard
September 26th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Here's the instructions:

Ooooh I'd not seen SMT mentioned before, I've gotta give that a go... Been meaning to do a hair mask but had no idea where to start.

kph12
September 27th, 2018, 07:05 AM

You can usually tell they are in your product when you see any ingredients that end in "cone", i.e. dimethicone, amodimethicone, etc. I don't mind silicones because I think they seal my hair cuticle which helps prevent my hair from snagging on literally everything. Some people don't use them because when they build up on your strands they can prevent moisture from entering (or leaving) your hair.

I use a lot of silicones to control my naturally frizzy/puffy hair since they are really smoothing. But every now and then I do have to use a sulfate shampoo, like Pantene, to clarify. It works for me but it's really a lot of trial and error trying to find what works for you.

lapushka
September 29th, 2018, 03:38 PM

I was just about to recommend the Garnier Whole Blends! Over here we have Gliss Kur masks (Gliss has just about reached the US now, but I don't know if their masks have reached that far, if so: go for it). The conditioners aren't bad either.

Dark40
November 1st, 2018, 07:27 PM
Another treatment I would recommend is Kanchom. It is excellent for dry ends or split ends!!!