PDA

View Full Version : If you want a small laugh

Julescarm
September 25th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Look up on Google
"The Talko 12 painful truths of having long hair".
I found it mostly funny about how anti long hair they are. I stumbled upon it and I couldn't believe what I was reading. Maybe someone might agree but I personally don't.

FaerieKitty
September 25th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Wow. That was a fairly hilarious and ill informed post for sure.

I personally found shorter hair far more work. But that doesn't mean I'm anti short hair. Pity people don't seem interested in actually learning about long hair.

paulownia
September 25th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Look up on Google
"The Talko 12 painful truths of having long hair".
I found it mostly funny about how anti long hair they are. I stumbled upon it and I couldn't believe what I was reading. Maybe someone might agree but I personally don't.

Jeez... that was some bunch of BS;)
Frequent salon visits.... no thank you very much.
Come on, the hairdressers need to make some money ;)

Stray_mind
September 26th, 2018, 12:36 AM
Lol that was funny to read. Thanks for sharing.

RubberDucky
September 26th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Hehe. It's nice to start the day off with something ridiculous :)

TatsuOni
September 26th, 2018, 01:13 AM
Wow that's some serious BS! :laugh: Thanks for sharing! :laugh:

Astrid Carlisle
September 26th, 2018, 01:53 AM
Ugh bloody annoying. "See to it that you can cover the maintenance costs of having long hair before you decide to have them." as if I can just decide over night to have long hair tomorrow... They can all cut their hair short because it's too expensive and too much maintenance. I'll grow my hair long and nice, thanks. And I spend a lot less on my hair than my acquaitances with short hair because I don't need to "style" it to keep the shape perfect.. and... time consuming up to an hour in the morning? Lol do they even know what they are talking about

Astrid Carlisle
September 26th, 2018, 01:57 AM
I'm not offending anyone with short hair here by the way, I'm just saying how annoying it is for them to state that short hair is definitely much more manageable and requires less products and maintenance and time than long hair, which apparently is a big pain in the butt. Comparing myself to my mum who has short hair, she definitely spends a lot more time in her week on the hair than I do

Joules
September 26th, 2018, 02:51 AM
Unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of time to braid their hair or put them in an intricate bun.

My go-to very cute braided hairstyle for a busy day takes me exactly 8 minutes. I don't know how much time you short-haired folk spend on washing and drying it every morning, but I bet it's much more than 8 minutes.

This article to me looks like a person who's never had long hair is trying to imagine what it would be like (and failing miserably). I mean, if we're talking about having long hair and following all the beauty stereotypes out there, like washing and heat styling it every day, coloring it in a salon regularly, etc., then it will definitely be the biggest pain in the butt. Hair of any length would be a pain in the butt if you have to do all of it. Fortunately for us it doesn't have to be this way, and yes, we really are

women with flowing locks, walking as if they don't have a care in the world

GrowlingCupcake
September 26th, 2018, 03:58 AM
I don't entirely disagree with the main points, but the explanation of them is just ridiculous.

12. More split ends? That makes sense given my ends are super old compared to when I had shoulder length or shorter hair. But I sure as hell don't need frequent salon visits. I S&D with a nice, sharp pair of hair scissors.

11. Time consuming? It's definitely more time consuming for me. Washing my hair used to be five minutes, ten minutes at most, a quick dry, and then a brush through. No leave-ins, no styling, etc. Washing my hair now takes at least 15 minutes, and that doesn't include the longer drying time, applying pre-poo oil, or leave-ins. Since I let my hair air dry, it takes more than an hour. But it's also once a week, and I know of no one who spends hours styling their hair, whether short or long.

10. Easily knotted/tangled, frizzy hair is definitely me. But it was also tangly, and frizzy when short. Is it more tangled now? Maybe. But tangles have always been my life.

9. Sorry, but long hair is going to be heavier than short hair. More of something = heavier. That said, I've had no issues with curls/braid waves not staying.

8. Long hair is hot because it covers your skin if it is down. "beads of sweat" seems rather exaggerated but maybe they live in a stupidly hot, and humid place. Just put your hair up; it's not difficult.

7. I'm on the fence with this one. It's so dependent on how you care for your hair whether short or long. I've bought tons more products since going long hair, but I also reached waist with barely any leave-ins. Besides my leave-ins last forever. Plus, I've had one cut in the last two years. I cut my hair way more frequently when it was short.

They aren't wrong about the hair dye, though.

6. I definitely have less volume since going longer. I have wavy hair, though, and don't need to use plenty of hair products to keep it in control because I stick it in a bun.

5. Okay, we've all had long hair getting in the way when it's down. Car doors, bags, seat belts, elbows, under you while you're lying down (or is that just me?). But again, the solution is simple: bun. I have no idea why they think you need an intricate bun. It took me like a minute to show my partner how to put his hair into a nautilus, and secure it with a stick.

4. It does clog the drain! So much. Both my partner, and I have long hair, and it is everywhere. We do our best to keep the drain clear but still have to fish out a clog regularly.

Where they get the idea that you don't shed hair when it's short, I have no idea. Hair sheds whether or not long or short. This is life.

3. My hair tried to eat a comb awhile back so... yeah. It also gets caught on things like in #5 or in my mouth, food, glasses, jewellery, etc. But if you're gonna be dumb enough to get your gum stuck in your hair, well, then have short hair till you learn how to blow bubbles without gum getting on your hair.

2. It can look limp, and greasy but I'm not sure this writer knows what hygiene actually means. Also, most people don't need to wash their hair every day even if it is humid.

1. My hair is definitely more high maintenance than when it was shorter. I don't need a plethora of products, but I do need products to keep my ends from getting horribly dry, and I do need a detangler of some sort. But hot oil? Hair spa? Nah.

So, yeah. YMMV, but for me, the main points were valid but the explanations just made no sense. Long hair isn't the chore they make it out to be, but it is more work than my short hair was.

My go-to very cute braided hairstyle for a busy day takes me exactly 8 minutes. I don't know how much time you short-haired folk spend on washing and drying it every morning, but I bet it's much more than 8 minutes.

This article to me looks like a person who's never had long hair is trying to imagine what it would be like (and failing miserably). I mean, if we're talking about having long hair and following all the beauty stereotypes out there, like washing and heat styling it every day, coloring it in a salon regularly, etc., then it will definitely be the biggest pain in the butt. Hair of any length would be a pain in the butt if you have to do all of it. Fortunately for us it doesn't have to be this way, and yes, we really are

That is definitely what it reads like. I don't know why they think youhave to subscribe to current beauty standards or the like.

What braided style is it, by the way?

Astrid Carlisle
September 26th, 2018, 04:01 AM
if we're talking about having long hair and following all the beauty stereotypes out there, like washing and heat styling it every day, coloring it in a salon regularly, etc., then
probably we wouldn't have such long healthy hair! haha

illicitlizard
September 26th, 2018, 04:22 AM
This is actually hilarious on most points. How on earth is long hair more high maintenance than one of those highlighted graduated bobs so many women have?? So ridiculous! Hygiene/styling can be low or high maintenance at any length, depends more on the person with the hair than the hair itself.

I do have to say the lack of volume and how heavy it felt was a big reason I got a massive chop years back but even so, come on. These things are cons, not, as the article seems to imply, reasons to never grow ya hair long.

Joules
September 26th, 2018, 04:43 AM
What braided style is it, by the way?

This one (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GSry_fXAru4/maxresdefault.jpg), only I do a two-strand rope braid just along my hairline, and at the bottom it transforms into a fishtail briad. Or I can do a side French braid (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SimavG10OO0/maxresdefault.jpg) if I'm bored with the first option, it takes me the same 8 minutes. I have to braid along my hairline, since I have a lot of baby hairs that get into my eyes and all over my face if I don't take precautionary measures :shrug:

probably we wouldn't have such long healthy hair! haha

Well, they said "if you want to grow your hair beneath your shoulders", so we clearly have a different understanding of what's long :rollin:

paulownia
September 26th, 2018, 05:06 AM
Well, they said "if you want to grow your hair beneath your shoulders", so we clearly have a different understanding of what's long :rollin:
Staying around on LHT changes drastically one's perception of hair length and what is'' long'' or short;)
Some people here feel surely that a mid-back length doesn't qualify as long hair ;) .. and anything shorter than classic is ''long but not that long.
I always thought that '' between shoulder and BSL'' it's medium and hair past BSL it's already long.
But hey...I had short hair almost my entire life, the longest I had was a couple of inches below APL.

Zesty
September 26th, 2018, 05:55 AM
I mean... there's a grain of truth to most of these. A *grain*. Yeah, it gets in the way if you wear it down (depending on length), it gets in the shower drain, etc. But even the things I'll accept, the author seems pretty darn melodramatic about them. And they're clearly not talking about LHCers who can do braids and buns in no time flat. :shrug:

xoAshley
September 26th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Wow, how dramatic. Lmao. :lol:

nycelle
September 26th, 2018, 08:19 AM
The article assumes that most women with long hair, style, wash, and cut on a regular basis. They're talking about the masses, not those of us on LHC, so in that sense, they're right.

LHC is different, most here just grow, and get professional trims occasionally, if at all. The go to styles here are braids and buns. Most either have one length hair, some have bangs.. very few have layers at the longer lengths.
How many here actually do anything the article talks about in terms of styling or maintenance?

But before my last major cut, I had waist length hair that I was highlighting/coloring, and blowing out on a regular basis. It did take more time and money than someone with shorter hair. Salons charge more for trims, and color. Blow drying, and by that I mean styling, takes longer the longer it gets. So I agree with the article, even though yes, it's being dramatic as it's not a big deal by any means.. but it's not incorrect.

AutobotsAttack
September 26th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Only thing I can agree with is shower clogging. My hair does clog the shower. So? Lol.

My hair is beyond light weight even at tailbone length. It’s very fine and rarely makes me hot.
Unhygienic? Take a seat. Take several seats. Volume? Not a problem with my hair type.

Takes me maybe 5 mins or less to do bun styles or even Bantu knots or Dutch/French braids.

I use the same products less than 15$ in total. Except for when I want to spoil myself, hair toys as well.

I’m in the no trimming club and haven’t been to a salon in years.

That article needs to chill.

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2018, 08:37 AM
I'm not going to read the article, but I would like to say that my brother's hair clogs the drain more than mine, because I put my sheds on the shower screen then collect them and they go in the bin. My brother's hair is a few inches long and too short to collect as it sheds, plus they somehow make their way through the holes in the shower drainer. Mine doesn't!

elfynity
September 26th, 2018, 08:37 AM
I will never believe anything published by Talko after this article.

Alibran
September 26th, 2018, 08:42 AM
I thought it was funny, especially the part about washing, drying and styling taking 'approximately an hour'. My hair isn't anywhere near long yet, and it would take more than an hour to wash and diffuse fully dry. It's a good thing I don't feel the need to keep washing it all the time.

Staying around on LHT changes drastically one's perception of hair length and what is'' long'' or short;)
Some people here feel surely that a mid-back length doesn't qualify as long hair ;) .. and anything shorter than classic is ''long but not that long.
I always thought that '' between shoulder and BSL'' it's medium and hair past BSL it's already long.
But hey...I had short hair almost my entire life, the longest I had was a couple of inches below APL.

In my mind, long starts at waist. When I first met my current hairdresser, I told her I'm growing it long. A few visits later, she finally realised what I meant.

Ylva
September 26th, 2018, 09:31 AM
The only thing I can agree with are the clogged shower drains. :lol:

kph12
September 26th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Wow. That was a fairly hilarious and ill informed post for sure.

I personally found shorter hair far more work. But that doesn't mean I'm anti short hair. Pity people don't seem interested in actually learning about long hair.

Shorter hair is definitely more work. So much styling and so many trims to maintain the length.

Alex Lou
September 26th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Shorter hair is definitely more work. So much styling and so many trims to maintain the length.

Agreed. And I get "volume problems" as they put it at shorter lengths when the weight of my hair doesn't pull itself down.

Ylva
September 26th, 2018, 10:23 AM
The whole thing about excessively glorifying volume bothers me. It's just another unnecessary beauty standard and unrealistic for certain hair types/thicknesses without damaging hair manipulation. I have absolutely no volume on the top of my head, but I've just come to accept that I don't need to comply to yet another beauty standard that's just not within the reach of my genes. My hair can still look pretty and healthy, and the lack of volume doesn't make me look bald or anything.

leayellena
September 26th, 2018, 10:33 AM
this article should be called "loose hair problems because I couldn't even care less to learn how to do a flat bun to spread the weight on a larger area of my scalp"

*Wednesday*
September 26th, 2018, 11:08 AM
The whole thing about excessively glorifying volume bothers me. It's just another unnecessary beauty standard and unrealistic for certain hair types/thicknesses without damaging hair manipulation. I have absolutely no volume on the top of my head, but I've just come to accept that I don't need to comply to yet another beauty standard that's just not within the reach of my genes. My hair can still look pretty and healthy, and the lack of volume doesn't make me look bald or anything.

Totally agree with this.

Also the "heavy hair" comment. People have different hair types. Wearing a strapless bra gives me grief than my hair.

TatsuOni
September 26th, 2018, 11:11 AM

I actually prefer flat hair over volume. Shame on me :laugh:

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Totally agree with this.

Also the "heavy hair" comment. People have different hair types. Wearing a strapless bra gives me grief than my hair.

:rollin: ditto! The only time my hair feels heavy is when it's full of water - and I mean full, like actually in the shower stream.

Joules
September 26th, 2018, 12:39 PM

It's not just volume, it's the correct amount of volume in right places you can achieve only with heat styling that gets glorified. I have wavy hair and a ton of natural volume (plus the frizz that never goes away), my hair became more contained and neat-looking only when I reached hip length. When my hair was shorter I looked like a crazy woman every time I attempted to wear it down outside.

ravenskey
September 26th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Agreed. And I get "volume problems" as they put it at shorter lengths when the weight of my hair doesn't pull itself down.

Oh yeah - I get this. I need to post a pic of my hair when it was APL one day, it did not look good!

12. It's More Susceptible To Split Ends: Split ends can be prevented and if not, ever head of self-trimming?

11. It's Time-Consuming: Washday is a day! But it only happens once every two weeks sooo.

10. It Easily Gets Knotted: Tangles - I had these when it was SL.

9. It's Heavy, 8. It's Hot, 5. It Almost Always Gets In The Way, and 3. It Gets Caught In Things: Um, bun - braid, take your pick.

7. It's Expensive: Ha, ha, ha! My last trim was €5, such a strain on the wallet :lol:

6. It Has Volume Problems: See above.

4. It Clogs Shower Drains: My Dad is rapidly balding, my Mum has a pixie cut, I have HL+ hair. Guess who clogs the drain most? Not me.

2. It Can Get Unhygienic: If I didn't manually oil, my hair could compete with the Sahara Desert. I have literally never understood people who say their hair is dripping in grease!

1. It's High Maintenance: And yet I don't go to the hairdressers often, I don't dye/bleach, I don't blow dry or flat iron or curl, I don't wash every day, I don't use dry shampoo. The list goes on.

Joules
September 26th, 2018, 01:34 PM
9. It's Heavy, 8. It's Hot, 5. It Almost Always Gets In The Way, and 3. It Gets Caught In Things: Um, bun - braid, take your pick.

You forgot one of the most annoying question longhairs get: "but what's the point in having long hair if you don't wear it down?"

Corvana
September 26th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I also wonder if they've had some experience with long hair, but only in the form of extensions. A lot of those problems could be chalked up to how unmanipulatable extensions are, by virtue of their attachment. Most of the time you can only do the one style that they were placed for, because any other would reveal the tracks. So if you wanted your hair down, then you can't put it up (easily) because the tracks are placed to look nice while down. So then your hair is in the way aaaaaaall the time.

Extensions are also expensive, and their care is more particular than your natural hair. Their weight is added to you quickly, and not over time, so they seem so much heavier. Plus they're adding hair, so it's also heavier than your own hair would be at that length.

If you opt for less expensive extensions, then they're not made as well so styling is more difficult (with the few that you can do without revealing the tracks), and they tangle more.

I know there are all kinds of extension types, of course, and I'm sure there are some that are more manageable but they likely come at a much higher cost.

Anaconda
September 26th, 2018, 02:12 PM
This sounds like it was written by someone who recently got an impulsive chop, regrets it, maybe even had someone make a negative comment, then they wrote this article as a form of passive revenge. :D

"It gets easily knotted"
I will be the first to say, I have more tangles after my chop now than I did at WL, and I outright abused my WL hair (left it out all the time, even in wind, slept with it out often, stuff like that).

C_Bookworm
September 26th, 2018, 02:38 PM

If you want to have easily manageable, wash-and-go kind of hair, then having long hair is not the answer.
:rollin: I love having wash and go hair! I wash every morning, detangle for 5 minutes or so, and Iím good to go. Iíve always got a stick, fork, and flexi in my bag if I feel like pulling it back later, but these styles donít add on more than 5 minutes, at most. Long hair is so much faster than all the work I had to put into making my hair behave when it was short.

Ylva
September 26th, 2018, 02:40 PM
It's not just volume, it's the correct amount of volume in right places you can achieve only with heat styling that gets glorified. I have wavy hair and a ton of natural volume (plus the frizz that never goes away), my hair became more contained and neat-looking only when I reached hip length. When my hair was shorter I looked like a crazy woman every time I attempted to wear it down outside.

Hah, true that. I used to be crazy about one of those heat tools that you would use on your roots and it would fry some volume for you.

Xena1975
September 26th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I can only assume some of these people think "my hair is 6 inches long and takes me x amount of cost/time to take care of so that person with 36 inch hair must take 6 times as long and cost 6 times as much as mine".

I trim my own hair, don't wash frequently, and don't use styling products. I spend way less time and money on my hair than someone that has to style it all the time to make it look nice or go to the hairdresser all the time to maintain their short haircut.

wo
September 26th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Uh oh, I agree with all of them except 'it's expensive.' 😄 I don't think I'm meant to be a long haired person. I'm just scared to cut it until I have a clear idea what style I want.

Natalia_A00
September 26th, 2018, 05:24 PM
This article is so dramatic, :rolleyes:. A lot of those things don't apply to me. And others are just not true.

It can't get unhygienic. - Just wash it lol? I have extremely oily hair and it is as oily as it was when I had short hair.
About the volume, I still have a lot of volume, maybe it's more straight (but I think this is due to the use of coney conditioner), but it still has volume
Expensive? - Not really. I hardly ever go to the hairdresser. I don't think you need to go in order to keep it beautiful either
Time consuming - Not really again. And for me, taking care of my hair is fun, not a sacrifice. I like doing my special treatments once in a while, I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. It has become like a hobby for me. I also like to learn about hair care, new recipes, masks, etc.
More split ends - Yes, this is true and a nightmare for me lol

Alex Lou
September 26th, 2018, 05:46 PM

:rollin: I love having wash and go hair! I wash every morning, detangle for 5 minutes or so, and Iím good to go. Iíve always got a stick, fork, and flexi in my bag if I feel like pulling it back later, but these styles donít add on more than 5 minutes, at most. Long hair is so much faster than all the work I had to put into making my hair behave when it was short.

I wash once a week and then my hair is wake up and go for 3-4 days. Then 2 minute updo for the rest of the week because apparently I'm unhygienic.

Short hair for me was washing more frequently and needing to style daily.

RadioactiveLily
September 26th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Iím with Joules. I never understood why people ask that question. I hear this one from my mom (a former longhair of all people) fairly frequently- she thinks not being able to wear it down is boring. Isnít wearing it down all the time the same style every day? How is that not boring?

ursaV
September 26th, 2018, 10:29 PM

Darn ridiculous beauty standards. :disgust: These are all good points, I have absolutely no volume and it's been a difficult thing for others to accept more than myself. Lots of 'why don't you blow dry your hair upside down? Or get some highlights for more dimension?' meanwhile I don't see anything in need of change! Oh well.

This article was a funny read, I expected it to end on a lighter note like some of these complain-y articles do, something like but having rapunzel hair to toss around is so worth it!. But the last sentence just seemed pretty snarky haha.

sophia_
September 30th, 2018, 11:41 AM
You forgot one of the most annoying question longhairs get: "but what's the point in having long hair if you don't wear it down?"

I get asked this all the time, and of course my answer is "to make bigger buns!" which doesn't make too much sense for me considering at classic length I compact my fine hair down so densely I have a very small bun, lol.

MemeAimee
October 5th, 2018, 10:08 PM
My hair at only BSL - Waist does get in the way sometimes, but really I find growing your hair long is much less maintenance, especially since most people with long hair that I have known don't go to salons at all. I also micro trim at home, and if I need a haircut, I cut myself. Most of us only shampoo the roots, so that makes it less expensive as well...