PDA

View Full Version : Non-damaging hair toys for shorter hair?

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new here so excuse me if I'm misusing the term "hair toys" but they seem to be those sticks and forks used to hold buns. I think they're really beautiful, but my hair is still too short (i think) for those kinds of tools.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for non-damaging hair tools that will hold my hair up. My hair is currently a few inches below CBL. I have some hair clips and scrunchies but I'm not sure if those are damage-free.

LittleOgre
September 25th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Honestly. I am to afriad of using those because the top of my head has more thinner hairs due to it being pulled constantly. So I am not sure. You can use a lot of bobby pins and try to tuck as much hair up in whatever position you so please.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I always notice that I lose the most hair when I've been wearing my hair in a high bun, even with a scrunchie or clip. I'm not sure what else I should be using.

cjk
September 25th, 2018, 12:54 PM
CBL, collar bone?

My hair is still shorter than yours and I've been using hair toys since last year.

Instead of thinking of them AS the style, think of them as the fastener. So ask yourself what styles you can achieve. Yesterday I wore a double bun secured horizontally with a chopstick. Held great.

https://i.imgur.com/UjFzSO2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I do French twists and buns, regularly, secured with either a stick or a fork, and my French combs are among my favorite accessories

And I have a handful of very beautiful barrettes that work well for me, though I view the metal clasp as potentially damaging so I don't wear them often.

Estrid
September 25th, 2018, 01:05 PM
At that length all I could do was basically twists and braids. Twists are quite nice, 3+ prong hair forks could usually hold them up for me, but I believe even those regular hair combs (those you see in the stores made out of plastic or metal, link to a random photo of one because I'm crap at explaining (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0658/6069/products/blackmetalhaircomb1.jpg?v=1492268638)) could hold those up, don't take my word for it though! I never tried them.

Hair clips can be fine, but some can be not-so-fine. You probably know best if your hair clip snags or not, they worked pretty well for me, but some others don't like them one bit.

Andthetalltrees
September 25th, 2018, 01:09 PM
At CBL I just wore my hair down because it was too thick. But claw clips are a good option, I use those now with no issue.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Those sticks look like double pointed knitting needles! Does anyone ever just use those? Estrid my hair loves to snag in those combs. I remember using them when I was really young and having them pull my hair something awful.

cjk
September 25th, 2018, 01:22 PM
A stick is a stick, LOL.

In the crafts section there is a thread for self-made hair toys and knitting needles are a common choice.

The chopstick I wore yesterday came from Panda Express. Cut it shorter with a pocket knife so the proportions worked better and sharpened the end with a pencil sharpener. Sometimes you're just in the mood to wear it down, and other times to wear it up.

Estrid
September 25th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Those sticks look like double pointed knitting needles! Does anyone ever just use those? Estrid my hair loves to snag in those combs. I remember using them when I was really young and having them pull my hair something awful.

Haha, that's one reason why I avoid them, but apparently they work for some :hmm: if you have a big clip you could use that to secure a twist as well.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Haha, that's one reason why I avoid them, but apparently they work for some :hmm: if you have a big clip you could use that to secure a twist as well.

I'm looking forward for my hair to be long enough to comfortably twist. Right now it will finally twist into a bun or into a clip but it's a pretty tight twist and I worry about damaging my ends. Hopefully in a few months it will be longer and more manageable!

Zesty
September 25th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Ain't nothin' wrong with a (good quality) claw clip from the grocery. If it doesn't have sharp/snaggy bits it should be fine. You could likely do a peacock twist or something similar.

Alibran
September 25th, 2018, 02:31 PM
I've got enough length to make a cinnabun and hold it with a hairstick, but my favourite 'toys' are still the fat, microfibre bands I've been using since it was just long enough to make a pony tail. They're soft, and don't catch or grab, but my hair doesn't slide against them easily either. At my current length, I can put it in a high cinnabun, pop one of those round it, and it will stay there happily all day.

thunderseed
September 25th, 2018, 07:29 PM
deleted sory for some reason I double posted

thunderseed
September 25th, 2018, 07:29 PM
I just discovered a new hair style yesterday that works great with my hair, but my hair is long, and it requires NO hair toys at all and stays in super well.
Just do a normal twist bun, then make sort of a hole in the hair towards the side or top, and shove the bun inside, pull the hair over it, and it stays put and looks really nice. I watched it on a youtube video but I don't think I'd be able to find it again and I don't know if this hairstyle I'm describing has a name or not. But it is my new go to hair style super quick and easy, does not damage my hair at all.

I do have hair toys, but I find even they have the potential to break my hair sometimes, even my hair sticks sometimes do when I'm poking them through my buns.

lapushka
September 26th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new here so excuse me if I'm misusing the term "hair toys" but they seem to be those sticks and forks used to hold buns. I think they're really beautiful, but my hair is still too short (i think) for those kinds of tools.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for non-damaging hair tools that will hold my hair up. My hair is currently a few inches below CBL. I have some hair clips and scrunchies but I'm not sure if those are damage-free.

I used a claw clip from about that length (peacock twist) to about waist/hip (more of a log roll then), when I first could do a bun with my darn iii hair. Never noticed damage from the clip, not one bit, but it was smooth - they generally all are quite smooth!

_fred_
September 27th, 2018, 12:48 AM
Hi kph12 :) At your length I used tiny claw clips a lot. As far as I could tell they're safe provided they're smooth and in securely, and you don't wear them the same way every day. If they're not smooth, they can be filed down with an emery board/sandpaper, whatever you have to hand. I also used those telephone wire-style hair bands - they also needed a bit of smoothing down on the inside where the plastic is joined to itself, but after they've been smoothed I never noticed them catching on anything. At CBL I could do a half-up with a fork too, which was fun.

Doreen
September 27th, 2018, 02:18 AM
You could try a bun former like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OESG788
It works well for longer lengths too.

How do you feel about braids? A French braid could work nicely to minimize damage and also would avoid the tension from high buns and tight twisting that can cause breakage. Tie off with small elastic (preferably silicone, never rubber), a knotted hair tie, microfiber tie, or a scrunchie. You could also try flipping your head over and French braiding from the nape to the spot where you want your ponytail or bun to be.

If you just want a cute non-damaging accessory, you could get a flexi 8 (or make one). If it won't work to hold a full bun now, you could definitely use it for half-ups until your hair gets long enough.

Obsidian
September 27th, 2018, 04:23 AM
My favorite claw clip is this one. It holds more secure without the twist needing to be so tight
https://d2lnr5mha7bycj.cloudfront.net/product-image/file/large_55d83740-7b8a-4b6b-b42a-1e4df98319b3.jpg

I also really like flexi-eights. I make my own so I can custom size them
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_N4LI_wb2H6g/TQbvLN-BXsI/AAAAAAAADEE/U2hQXdBAaW0/s1600/flexi8a.jpg