PDA

View Full Version : Tips for smoothing/straightening hair

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Hello everyone! I'm a curly girl with a never ending dilemma, I love my curly hair but sometimes I want to have smooth locks or something more sleek and put together. Therefore I resort to using heat tools probably once a week to achieve that look. However, I want to grow my hair out long and healthy and I'm looking for ways to cut down on the heat tools without forgoing style.

Does any one have any tips for smoother/less puffy/straighter hair?

I have 3b/M/ii hair and this has been my lifelong struggle. Any tips would be great!!

nycelle
September 25th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Hello everyone! I'm a curly girl with a never ending dilemma, I love my curly hair but sometimes I want to have smooth locks or something more sleek and put together. Therefore I resort to using heat tools probably once a week to achieve that look. However, I want to grow my hair out long and healthy and I'm looking for ways to cut down on the heat tools without forgoing style.

I have 3b/M/ii hair and this has been my lifelong struggle. Any tips would be great!!

Silicones. When I was using silicones my hair was 1c/2a.
Heavy conditioners and leave-ins. Conditioners with lots of oils, and and butters can definitely weigh down curls and make them appear elongated. The downside is depending how often you use these products, can mean you need to clarify more often.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Silicones. When I was using silicones my hair was 1c/2a.
Heavy conditioners and leave-ins. Conditioners with lots of oils, and and butters can definitely weigh down curls and make them appear elongated. The downside is depending how often you use these products, can mean you need to clarify more often.

I use silicones and a LOT of conditioners. I live in a really humid climate so it's the only thing that tames my hair so that it's presentable. I'm curious about keratin and whether or not that will make a difference.

CopperButterfly
September 25th, 2018, 09:40 AM
there's something called wrapping to achieve heatless straightening. I know Glitch on here has mastered it as she has quite wavy hair naturally, but prefers straight. You might check her profile, I think she's got info on it, but I'm pretty sure you can find you tube tutorials as well. Good luck!

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 09:42 AM
there's something called wrapping to achieve heatless straightening. I know Glitch on here has mastered it as she has quite wavy hair naturally, but prefers straight. You might check her profile, I think she's got info on it, but I'm pretty sure you can find you tube tutorials as well. Good luck!

Is that where you wrap it around your head when it's damp? Does it cause damage with all the pins? I'm still a newbie so I can't view anyone's profile yet :p

nikittyy
September 25th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I have this same struggle. I often crack and straighten it once a week and use heat protectant, and then wrap my hair at night to preserve the hairstyle so that I don't have to re-straighten it in the morning. However, I have also been trying to cut down on heat so I usually braid my hair in dutch or french braids when I am wearing it natural. I have weird wavy-ish hair that doesn't really look like an actual hairstyle, it just looks poofy and frizzy.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 09:47 AM
I have this same struggle. I often crack and straighten it once a week and use heat protectant, and then wrap my hair at night to preserve the hairstyle so that I don't have to re-straighten it in the morning. However, I have also been trying to cut down on heat so I usually braid my hair in dutch or french braids when I am wearing it natural. I have weird wavy-ish hair that doesn't really look like an actual hairstyle, it just looks poofy and frizzy.

Yesssss I can relate to just feeling like my hair doesn't have a style. I love how my hair looks when it's styled with heat but I also know that heat damaged hair is literally the worst thing ever. What hair type do you have? Do you braid your hair when it's damp or dry? Do you sleep in it?

lithostoic
September 25th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I was gonna say wrap it!! The pins shouldn't cause damage. If you are worried, use straight pins instead of bobby pins.

nikittyy
September 25th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Yesssss I can relate to just feeling like my hair doesn't have a style. I love how my hair looks when it's styled with heat but I also know that heat damaged hair is literally the worst thing ever. What hair type do you have? Do you braid your hair when it's damp or dry? Do you sleep in it?

Exactly, I love how it looks heat styled. I have fine hair that is naturally a bit wavy but just generally poofy and frizzy, and it gets bigger when it's humid out. Like I literally end up looking like Hermoine in the first Harry Potter film when she was in potions class stirring the cauldron. I don't braid my hair wet, I'm afraid that would just cause breakage. I just let my hair air dry naturally and then french or dutch braid it and sleep in it after wrapping my hair with a scarf.

paulownia
September 26th, 2018, 05:15 AM

As nycelle said, silicones can help. And products with mineral oil.
I also read that hydrolyzed silk can smooth out hair and make it more straight. You will have to test what works for you. Also sage infusion rinse is loosening the curl pattern.