PDA

View Full Version : Guy Looking for Hair Help

HumbleMan
September 24th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here. So I am a guy, never truly cared for my hair apart from washing them obviously. I have healthy hairs though. The problem is my hairs have started greying which they shouldnt at this age or atleast not this fast. I am looking for natural ingredients to cover those hairs. What are some of the natural dyes apart from indigo,cassia or henna to darken grey hairs?

Thank you.

Ylva
September 24th, 2018, 09:25 AM
I've heard that amla is widely used in India to darken hair and/or cover greys. Thus I've stayed far away from it myself. :)

Also, welcome to the forum!

Shanazel
September 24th, 2018, 09:43 AM
My two cents worth:

Gray hair combined with a young face is attractive as heck.

That being said, I've heard that coffee or tea works for various shades of brown hair. Never tried it myself so this is pure hearsay. They do dye fabric nicely, though.

HumbleMan
September 24th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I've heard that amla is widely used in India to darken hair and/or cover greys. Thus I've stayed far away from it myself. :)

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the welcome. Yes I have heard about amla but I dont think it actively does that or maybe it takes long time to have an effect. By the way your profile picture looks like a fairy.

My two cents worth:

Gray hair combined with a young face is attractive as heck.

That being said, I've heard that coffee or tea works for various shades of brown hair. Never tried it myself so this is pure hearsay. They do dye fabric nicely, though.

Actually they have started greying from front mostly. I dont know why it has started bothering me. I did not care before. I want something quick and permanent like henna, if there is such thing available. I will most probably leave them as it is (as its really hectic dying hairs every few weeks). Hats off to you ladies who take such good care of hairs that are 10 times longer than an average mans hairs. Henna was good but the color it dyes hairs to is unacceptable.

Aredhel
September 24th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Greys are far more common than you may think. I'm only 26 and I got my first silvers when I was about 18-20... around there. :) I have quite a number of silver strands in the front of my hair now, but unfortunately I have no advice to offer on how to cover them up because I don't bother doing that myself. :) Hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction!

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 10:28 AM
There is nothing apart from henna/indigo that is permanent, and if you don't feel amla is a good choice, then try coffee or black tea rinses, but they will not dye the hair. Your choices I am afraid are quite limited.

How old are you, if I may ask?

Finally, there is nothing wrong with gray hair, in fact there's an entire thread dedicated to gray hair and graying gracefully here.

Welcome!

Ylva
September 24th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Thank you for the welcome. Yes I have heard about amla but I dont think it actively does that or maybe it takes long time to have an effect. By the way your profile picture looks like a fairy.

Perhaps it does take a while, but I don't think it would hurt to have some kind of amla routine in addition to whatever else you might do. It would support the health of your scalp, thus aiding the health of your hair. Apparently the fact that it's rich in vitamin C helps halt greying. And thank you kindly! :)

Shanazel
September 24th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Actually they have started greying from front mostly.

Ah, going romantically gray at the hairline. Very distinguished.

HumbleMan
September 24th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Greys are far more common than you may think. I'm only 26 and I got my first silvers when I was about 18-20... around there. :) I have quite a number of silver strands in the front of my hair now, but unfortunately I have no advice to offer on how to cover them up because I don't bother doing that myself. :) Hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction!

Thank you.

There is nothing apart from henna/indigo that is permanent, and if you don't feel amla is a good choice, then try coffee or black tea rinses, but they will not dye the hair. Your choices I am afraid are quite limited.

How old are you, if I may ask?

Finally, there is nothing wrong with gray hair, in fact there's an entire thread dedicated to gray hair and graying gracefully here.

Welcome!

Thank you. How can amla be used?

Perhaps it does take a while, but I don't think it would hurt to have some kind of amla routine in addition to whatever else you might do. It would support the health of your scalp, thus aiding the health of your hair. Apparently the fact that it's rich in vitamin C helps halt greying. And thank you kindly! :)

Yes I might try amla thank you.

Ah, going romantically gray at the hairline. Very distinguished.

Did not think it plays any role in attractiveness but nice to know that.

TatsuOni
September 24th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Welcome! :) I have no advice to give you.

HumbleMan
September 24th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Welcome! :) I have no advice to give you.

Thank you. I dont have any advice for me either :D

EdG
September 24th, 2018, 05:28 PM
There is an entire thread of people growing out their silvers. It is one of the longest-running threads on this board. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951

Ed

goneJackal
September 24th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Welcome, HumbleMan!

Same story here - guy starts serious greying on early 20s. Genetics.

For a few years I didn't care about it.
It started to bother me because people wouldn't stop commenting about that, and I didn't like the attention (at least not that kind of attention).

I wanted my black hair back, but didn't want to use anything with oxidants and/or ammonia.
Then I started reading about henna. The brand I use is not 100% natural (henna, some other herbs and dye deposition), but it has no oxidizing agent or ammonia and is very easy to use (it's a cream).

But if that particular brand of products is discontinued, I know I'll experiment on pure henna and indigo.

Good luck! https://felipesv.websiteseguro.com/forum/k_blackhair.gif

Hexen
September 24th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Ahhh man, let it happen. If they are just starting out then my advice which may be a bit non conducive to your inclination, would be to embrace them, and then grace them, at least eventually in the Salt & Pepper or one of the other silver friendly threads. :thumbsup:

cjk
September 24th, 2018, 10:04 PM
The others have already given you quite a bit of good advice, but I'm going to take a tough love approach. A different viewpoint.

When a man goes grey it is a sign of maturity. Wisdom. Power. Authority.

Hiding it, and that's what you're talking about coming from a masculine point of view is hiding it, is never a good idea for a man.

On a strictly objective level, when the hair grays the skin also changes color, slightly, and all the colors coordinate. It's one of the reasons why dye jobs often look so terrible, they don't take into account the change in the skin color.

I've been in your position. I started graying in college. One of my dear friends was grey in high school.

The correct approach is not just acceptance but embrace of the gray hair. It can require a a mental attitude adjustment, but it's the best solution long-term.

paulownia
September 24th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Hello there :)
I would consider trying to suplement your diet in foods rich in copper.
This trace element is responsible for proper melanine production and it's deficiency can cause premature hair greying. The foods rich in copper are beef liver, cashewnuts, sesame and sunflower seeds, dark chocolate, raisins, lentils, dried apricots, avocado, chia seeds.

sapphire-o
September 25th, 2018, 05:05 AM
What color is your natural hair? That can matter to people's suggestions. I've got a few grey hairs, too and my hair is dark brown, so the silver really pop. :( I actually tried rubbing a sharpie on them, as I only have 4 or 5 of them. Didn't even last one wash. I know nothing about hair dyes, might have to look into it. I love purely white hair, but not so much for salt and pepper hair. But I know I'll never get pure white hair. I got grandma's hair, she's 100 now and still salt and pepper. :(

HumbleMan
September 25th, 2018, 06:05 AM
There is an entire thread of people growing out their silvers. It is one of the longest-running threads on this board. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951

Ed

Thank you.

Welcome, HumbleMan!

Same story here - guy starts serious greying on early 20s. Genetics.

For a few years I didn't care about it.
It started to bother me because people wouldn't stop commenting about that, and I didn't like the attention (at least not that kind of attention).

I wanted my black hair back, but didn't want to use anything with oxidants and/or ammonia.
Then I started reading about henna. The brand I use is not 100% natural (henna, some other herbs and dye deposition), but it has no oxidizing agent or ammonia and is very easy to use (it's a cream).

But if that particular brand of products is discontinued, I know I'll experiment on pure henna and indigo.

Good luck! https://felipesv.websiteseguro.com/forum/k_blackhair.gif

Yes I don't like chemicals either.

Ahhh man, let it happen. If they are just starting out then my advice which may be a bit non conducive to your inclination, would be to embrace them, and then grace them, at least eventually in the Salt & Pepper or one of the other silver friendly threads. :thumbsup:

Thank you.

The others have already given you quite a bit of good advice, but I'm going to take a tough love approach. A different viewpoint.

When a man goes grey it is a sign of maturity. Wisdom. Power. Authority.

Hiding it, and that's what you're talking about coming from a masculine point of view is hiding it, is never a good idea for a man.

On a strictly objective level, when the hair grays the skin also changes color, slightly, and all the colors coordinate. It's one of the reasons why dye jobs often look so terrible, they don't take into account the change in the skin color.

I've been in your position. I started graying in college. One of my dear friends was grey in high school.

The correct approach is not just acceptance but embrace of the gray hair. It can require a a mental attitude adjustment, but it's the best solution long-term.

Yeah I might leave them as is.

Hello there :)
I would consider trying to suplement your diet in foods rich in copper.
This trace element is responsible for proper melanine production and it's deficiency can cause premature hair greying. The foods rich in copper are beef liver, cashewnuts, sesame and sunflower seeds, dark chocolate, raisins, lentils, dried apricots, avocado, chia seeds.

Thanks, will try these.

What color is your natural hair? That can matter to people's suggestions. I've got a few grey hairs, too and my hair is dark brown, so the silver really pop. :( I actually tried rubbing a sharpie on them, as I only have 4 or 5 of them. Didn't even last one wash. I know nothing about hair dyes, might have to look into it. I love purely white hair, but not so much for salt and pepper hair. But I know I'll never get pure white hair. I got grandma's hair, she's 100 now and still salt and pepper. :(

They are black I think, never really looked so deep, maybe darkest of brown or simply black. Yes completely white hairs look good.

Arciela
September 25th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Welcome :) you could always try pravana dye in black. I do believe it's all natural and very easy to use. My bf dad has natural black hair with greys and he loves it. Says it lasts, is easy to apply and doesn't stain anything :)

My bf has thick black hair and hes in his 20s and its graying a bit already..he just leaves it as it is, I dont notice it or care :flower: