PDA

View Full Version : Hair straightening brushes: do they damage hair?

Sweetalexandria
September 24th, 2018, 01:34 AM
My hair is healthy, long and thick but one thing that frustrates me so much is the frizz and how easily it can get into a hot mess with tangles and knots. I am so tired of it, yesterday it took me 3 hours taking the knots out :(. I put lots of coconut oil to help me. It's fine when I put oil on my hair and conditioner but of course I can't walk around with greasy hair.

So I want to look at ways how to straighten my hair withough harming it. Are hair straighteners harmful?.

Doreen
September 24th, 2018, 02:12 AM
Heat of any kind will cause some damage and I wouldn't recommend straightening as a long term solution to avoid knotting; you'd basically be trading knots for breakage. And the straightening brush doesn't seem very gentle on hair at all. Is your main goal to prevent knotting, or to have straight hair?

Sweetalexandria
September 24th, 2018, 04:17 AM
I love straight silky hair. My hair is wavy and it's nearly straight but it is very textured and can get frizz but it's manageable with oil. I have only used a straightener once in my life for my cousins wedding and that's with my sister and mum helping me!. I am absolutetly terrible with hair styles, clueless about techniques for different textures as I rarely have any experience.

I love silky straight hair, where everything is so easy. I am glad my hair is healthy and I don't want to ruin it. But I'm just thinking of ways to make it tangle free, straight?. I guess it's not possible without heat :(. If it does do damage, I will leave it at that and I guess only on special occasions I will style my hair.

I have a £50 gift voucher which I thought I would use for some fun hair accessories! :)

cjk
September 24th, 2018, 07:56 AM
My hair is healthy, long and thick but one thing that frustrates me so much is the frizz and how easily it can get into a hot mess with tangles and knots.

As I read this my first thought was curly girl. Your description is almost identical to most of ours.

And if you're asking about straighteners, you've got texture. Guaranteed.

Have you considered going curly girl? Frizz and tangles are often a result of incorrect care.

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 08:30 AM
My hair is healthy, long and thick but one thing that frustrates me so much is the frizz and how easily it can get into a hot mess with tangles and knots. I am so tired of it, yesterday it took me 3 hours taking the knots out :(. I put lots of coconut oil to help me. It's fine when I put oil on my hair and conditioner but of course I can't walk around with greasy hair.

So I want to look at ways how to straighten my hair withough harming it. Are hair straighteners harmful?.

What kind of detangling tools do you use.

A wet brush is something I can't live without and it has totally replaced my wide tooth comb. So you might first want to "revise" your tools.

Heat is always going to damage your hair, but you do you.

What texture do you have? 1, 2, 3?

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 01:32 PM
If anyone has actually tried the brush, do you think it is ~less~ damaging than a flat iron? I'm curly but I like to smooth out my curls a little when my hair is longer rather than straighten fully. It just makes my hair easier to manage and it still looks cute a few days after a wash whereas my curly hair starts to look really wonky after the first day unless I commit to re-wetting and restyling which actually takes a long time.

lapushka
September 26th, 2018, 07:53 AM
If anyone has actually tried the brush, do you think it is ~less~ damaging than a flat iron? I'm curly but I like to smooth out my curls a little when my hair is longer rather than straighten fully. It just makes my hair easier to manage and it still looks cute a few days after a wash whereas my curly hair starts to look really wonky after the first day unless I commit to re-wetting and restyling which actually takes a long time.

You might enjoy the "MAD curls" channel on YT. It's a mother & daughter and they do wash n gos & product reviews on their channel and show you how to style & refresh. It can be a lot easier than having to straighten *every* single piece of your hair out!

Sweetalexandria
September 29th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Ok my hair is in a better state now. I think it was because I didn't comb enough. I tried using a wet comb and it really helped
Used lots of conditioner and spread it throughout my hair. I'm not sure of my hair texture but it's like thick, texture medium.

My hair is like a wavy straight. It has small waves. The kind of hair I always dreamed about is fine, silky super straight like Japanese women.

The funny thing is my cousin has silky straight hair and she said she always wanted curly, wavy textured hair like me. Whereas I always wanted her hair lol. Maybe it's just wanting something you don't have? :)