PDA

View Full Version : are wooden combs worth it?

arylkin
November 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I know there is already a thread on wooden combs, but I'm wondering, does using a wooden comb really make a difference? I usually use a cheap wide toothed plastic hair pick and haven't had any problems...

For those of you who have tried them, do you really think you notice a difference when switching to a wooden comb?

AJoifulNoise
November 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
I've yet to try one, but I'm interested. I don't know if I can cheat on my horn comb, though...

chrissy-b
November 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Yes, definitely. I'd been using a plastic comb for ages and remember I had a wooden comb when my hair was longer and thought I'd give it a try again. It doesn't tug at my strands the way the plastic combs do. I've noticed that my hair has more wave too, and I don't think that has to do so much with the wood, but because the tines are so far apart.

galleth
November 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Oh yes! It made a huge difference in my case. I'm using the Body Shop wide toothed one, and it goes through my hair like butter! No pulling, no damage, no pain!

girlcat36
November 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
I love my Body Shop wooden comb! Love it, love it!:cheese:

pookatrina
November 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
I use a wooden comb & while it's not a huge difference I think the difference is large enough that I wouldn't go back to plastic.

rymorg2
November 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
ABSOLUTELY there's a difference when I use a wooden comb on my hair. I don't use anything else anymore. Just my boxwood comb!

redtea
November 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
I prefer wooden combs over plastic, but I love horn combs :crush:

mira-chan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I use wood or horn combs in general. Plastic combs gave me really bad static and I've never used brushes on a regular basis.

Anathema
November 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM

I just got to ask! How big of a difference is there between a horn and a wooden comb? I have a couple horn ones but never tried one in wood.. Is it worth getting one, or should I just stick with the ones I have?

freznow
November 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM

TOTALLY agree.

I think, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate them:

Plastic comb with seams: 1
Plastic comb without seams: 5
Wood comb: 8
Horn comb: 10

It does depend on the comb (like there are some REALLY nice plastic seamless combs out there) but of the ones I've used, that's how I'd rate them.

spidermom
November 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I love my hardwood comb, but I don't know that it's superior to a plastic comb without sharp ridges. It's a nice luxury to treat myself to, though. I deserve it.

RedJen
November 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
I prefer my wooden combs (handmade by Ric the combmaker) over anything else I've used, even my German wood brush. There's no static, they're easier to clean, and the flexibility is better than plastic. Plus, the combs are gorgeous to look at. (I have a regular sized comb and a palm-sized comb.)

Euphony
November 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I just got to ask! How big of a difference is there between a horn and a wooden comb? I have a couple horn ones but never tried one in wood.. Is it worth getting one, or should I just stick with the ones I have?
I'd say a huge difference. I bought a couple of wooden combs and while they far outweigh the plastic combs my bohn combs far, far, far outweigh my wooden ones. I don't even have my wooden ones anymore, I gave them to my thick haired, 3a/3b son - he adores them but sometimes "loses" them so he can snag my bohn comb out of my purse.

arylkin
November 3rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
I prefer my wooden combs (handmade by Ric the combmaker) over anything else I've used, even my German wood brush.
Where did you get it from? :)

kwaniesiam
November 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I technically use a hairsense bone comb, but I've never used anything better for my hair, plus it detangles so nice and gently.

http://hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm

I have the one pictured on the second row on the right.

Haith
November 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
I prefer my wooden comb over my plastic one, but I still use both.

harley mama
November 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I tried a wooden comb and it didn't seem to make much difference. Not combing or brushing my hair while it is dry has made the biggest difference. I am using a wide tooth plastic shower comb now. I usually only detangle in the shower anyway and I can't use a wooden comb for that.

AprilElf
November 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I haven't used a wide-tooth plastic or horn comb before, so it's hard to compare. Pre-LHC I used a conventional plastic comb with small spaces between the teeth. Post-LHC I use a wooden detangling comb (from the Body Shop).

Mainly, I prefer the idea of wood versus plastic (or horn). I just find wood so much more touchable and 'friendly'. :p So I guess my preference is based on feelings rather than facts at the moment ...

Teacherbear
November 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I voted for "they're a scam" which isn't exactly the truth. I just can't use wooden combs, even those really nice ones by Rick. Heck, I can't even use a horn comb! I stick with my Denman brush or my Kent combs and I'm happy as a lark. It wouldn't have been true for me to say I used one and "didn't see a differnce" because I *did* see a difference - actually I FELT a difference. The comb dragged in my hair.

Islandgrrl
November 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I voted for the scam option (that's a type of cheese, right?) only because I don't comb my hair at all.

RedJen
November 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
Where did you get it from? :)

His URL is http://www.combmaker.com/. He was really pleasant to work with.

Ęther
November 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I love my wood comb. (I'm a little biased because I just made it.) It was part of my commitment to myself that "I'm growing my hair out and treating it like the precious silk it is."

Shorty89
November 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
The biggest difference for me is static. PLus, it feels good on my scalp and I notice that it doesn't tug at knots as much.

thankyousir74
November 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Comb n00b speaking, but is bone and horn the same thing? And what kind of bone/horn is used to make it? (Just curious)

ETA: I voted I'd like to try one, because I haven't. And can you use horn/bone combs in the shower? And can you use wooden ones on wet hair? And also, what is preening/scritching?

EdG
November 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I like my wooden comb from the Body Shop. I bought it a few months ago. Previously I only did finger-untangling. The comb does a more thorough job. :)
Ed

Nightshade
November 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I have several wooden combs and I love them all:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1288&pictureid=20407

On the top is a HairSense Designing Comb.

Left to right: Black HairSense Palm Pic, Pagoda ConAir Comb, Black Hair Sense Volume, ConAir Comb, Hair Sense Super Detangling Rake (better known as the Viking Boat Oar), and a Conair Boar Bristle Brush.

All the ConAir stuff came from Target.
The HairSense stuff came from www.hairsense.com

I love the Hairsense combs (I have two palm pics not pictured here) as they're rosewood and teak resin, and are water-proof but are still anti-static and transfer oils down the hair.

arylkin
November 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I have several wooden combs and I love them all:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1288&pictureid=20407

On the top is a HairSense Designing Comb.

Left to right: Black HairSense Palm Pic, Pagoda ConAir Comb, Black Hair Sense Volume, ConAir Comb, Hair Sense Super Detangling Rake (better known as the Viking Boat Oar), and a Conair Boar Bristle Brush.

All the ConAir stuff came from Target.
The HairSense stuff came from www.hairsense.com (http://www.hairsense.com)

I love the Hairsense combs (I have two palm pics not pictured here) as they're rosewood and teak resin, and are water-proof but are still anti-static and transfer oils down the hair.

Thanks Nightshade! :)

SweetPea88
November 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm yet another proud owner of a wooden comb from The Body Shop! I absolutely love it! It slides through hair really easy, don't tug or catch hairs, and reduces static!

yogachic
November 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have 2 body shop wooden combs on their way to me. I will drop a line when I get them, as to how I like them. :)

Comfrey
November 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I prefer the denman wide toothed comb to the body shop one. It just seems to get through my hair easier (I've ordered a tangle teezer though :D)

Aditi
November 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yes i definitely see the difference in using wooden combs, my hairs are entangled easily and i see less breakage and the comb is so smooth that it makes my hair feels silky.:p

rockkcor
November 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I had one but I gave it to a friend as a present :)

Phalaenopsis
November 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I really like the wooden comb. It just simply gentler on my hair. :)

bunnii
November 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I love my Bodyshop wooden comb. I've never once found a plastic comb that didn't have seams that ripped my hair :(

zift
November 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Yes yes yes! I use the wooden comb from bodyshop and it really makes less frizz than a plastic one:thumbsup:

Jessikinz
November 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
haven't tried one, but I really really want to. I wanna see the difference, my wide toothed comb vs. a wooden comb. Who will win? I will soon find out!

longhairedfairy
November 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Virtually no static or ripping. Of course, I also use camellia oil:D

ETA: Btw, why wasn't there an "I comb with cheese" (or something similar) option?

tiny_teesha
November 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
i use an acetate comb- though apparently that is a wooden material??

Neen
November 5th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I think acetate starts out as wood but goes through quite a process to become the finished product.

Another vote for Ric the Combmaker's wooden combs - definately less frizz :applause.

dearladydisdain
November 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM
When my hair was thigh length I tried using a wooden comb and I wasn't a fan. I GREATLY preferred my wide toothed horn comb.

Curlsgirl
November 6th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I tried a wooden comb and it didn't seem to make much difference. Not combing or brushing my hair while it is dry has made the biggest difference. I am using a wide tooth plastic shower comb now. I usually only detangle in the shower anyway and I can't use a wooden comb for that.

Ditto what she said! :D

seadaughter
November 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I've used a wooden comb (the same one!!, handmade in Ukraine) since I was 10 or so....I would never go back to any other type!

Gladtobemom
November 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I've tried wooden combs (2 of them). I didn't see any advantage over horn combs, and I did see disadvantages.

I vastly prefor a good smooth horn comb.

zen_oven
November 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I have a Body Shop wooden comb and I love it! Actually, I have two. One for detangling after washing and a smaller one that I keep in my purse. The purse one I've had for about 15 years--I came across it again when I started LHC and have been using it since.

Angharad
August 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
I've used a wooden comb and I wasn't really happy with it. I still prefere my wide toothed plastic comb that has really soft edges.This comb was (in the Eighties) a free gift that came with a bottle of Timotei shampoo; it is the best comb ever (and ofcourse the tangle teezer)!

Konstifik
August 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
I definatley noted a difference. Before I got a wooden comb, I could make an afghan dog out of the hair that was left on the comb.
Now I can't even make a chihuahua of it. ;)

I think it depends on the hairtype.

Lady Mary
August 21st, 2009, 05:53 PM
I haven't tried one but I wanted to. I couldn't find one (4 different stores, they were all plastic) :(

Naamah
August 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I've never tried a wooden comb, I have a wide tooth plastic comb. Seeing the results of the poll I think I'll have to buy one. :)

masterofmidgets
August 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
No matter how careful I am with a plastic comb or how seamless/smooth they are, they catch in my hair, tangle, and HURT. My wooden comb never does, so I love it.

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
I don't use one, but they are very smooth and beautiful... then again, I'm a huge fan of all things timber.

Kat
August 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM
I've always wanted to try one, but I don't comb or brush my hair anymore (whenever I combed, even with a wide-toothed comb, I always felt like I heard hairs snapping all the time. So now I finger-comb and it's much better. I don't know if my fingers are just more sensitive to when the hair needs to be let up on...or maybe it causes just as much damage and I just am not hearing it.

I still sort of want one, but know it would be pointless as I likely wouldn't use it...but I still sort of want one, but...lol.

Anyone know of places where one can get wooden combs in a store, rather than having to order online? No way I'm paying for shipping to ship a little comb.

Renbirde
August 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Anyone know of places where one can get wooden combs in a store, rather than having to order online? No way I'm paying for shipping to ship a little comb.
I believe the Body Shop sells them... I got a nice 2-piece one (the spine and teeth are two pieces of wood, so the grain always goes the long way) from a British Airways travel kit too. But If you aren't paying shipping, I'd bet you aren't going to buy a plane ticket to get a comb either. ;)

prittykitty
August 22nd, 2009, 03:24 AM
Oh yes! It made a huge difference in my case. I'm using the Body Shop wide toothed one, and it goes through my hair like butter! No pulling, no damage, no pain!

Where do you buy these kinds of combs at? Thanks

Flynn
August 22nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
I believe the Body Shop sells them... I got a nice 2-piece one (the spine and teeth are two pieces of wood, so the grain always goes the long way) from a British Airways travel kit too. But If you aren't paying shipping, I'd bet you aren't going to buy a plane ticket to get a comb either. ;)

I'm pretty sure the Body Shop sells them in the UK only.

Renbirde
August 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the Body Shop sells them in the UK only.
I saw a few in their shop in the Minneapolis airport. :)

LittleOrca
August 22nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
The wooden comb will cut down on the static, but I don't use them often. The ones I have break easily so I have to make sure my hair is tangle free before I use one. :rolleyes: I really want to look into a resin or horn comb though. I hear those are great! :D

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I started using a wooden comb because most plastic ones have a seam that can damage hair if it gets caught. And it's very easy to sand a wooden comb if it gets damaged. With a plastic one, you'd just have to go buy a new one.

Leoneska
August 26th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I am pretty sure The Body Shop sells "The Detangling Comb" everywhere. I found it here in Germany.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Shop-Detangling-Comb/dp/B000HJXF2Y

GlassEyes
August 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I am pretty sure The Body Shop sells "The Detangling Comb" everywhere. I found it here in Germany.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Shop-Detangling-Comb/dp/B000HJXF2Y
Yeah, I bought that comb from the body shop too--in the U.S.. Pointless, since I need a comb I can use in the shower (which I still did anyway--shhh), but whatever.

Cindi Eponabri
August 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM
This is an interesting thread. I've been using a seamless plastic wide toothed comb for 2 decades (same comb.. a hippie green color). But I've just ordered both a bone comb and a Body Shop wooden comb through Amazon.com, for about $7.00 each.

violetflower
August 26th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I mainly use a wide tooth comb, I love it!! I would never use a plastic one again, that is just my personal thing though, others may really like the plastic ones!! :o)

Aunteater
August 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
They are certainly better than the seamed plastic combs I was using before. I've never had a horn comb or even a seamless plastic one, so it's a limited basis for comparison.

Margeaux
August 26th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Definitely! A plastic comb gets stuck in my hair and will pull entire strands out if I don't watch myself. A wooden comb is more like a pleasant scalp massage - and it makes my hair less static!

LaurelSpring
August 26th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I have a wooden comb but I didnt notice a huge difference although I just like using it because its wood. I have a horn comb that I like to scritch with. I just ordered one of the black bone ones from hairsense because it looks really nice. The bone comb I have is really big and heavy. I have mostly been using my Tangle Teezer.

Redheaded Raven
August 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I love my sandalwood combs over plastic, but my favorite is my horn combs

Nanni
August 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I only like the ones who are very very polished and smooth. I don't think the body shop-com was smooth enough

Peregrine
August 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I prefer wooden combs. It has more to do with aesthetics than functionality as I have never used a plastic comb often enough to be able to determine a difference. I just don't like plastic in general.

vindo
August 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Smooth coated wood works best for me...I like Le Bao Long Combs.

Lyttle Lox
October 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I bought that comb from the body shop too--in the U.S.. Pointless, since I need a comb I can use in the shower (which I still did anyway--shhh), but whatever.

In the amazon product description it kinda tells you to use it on wet hair... maybe they waterproofed it:

Product Description

Best if you want to: Teach wet hair to co-operate with a wide-tooth wooden comb that evenly distributes conditioner and detangles without splitting ends. Best for: all hair types Features: Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified beech wood. Wide teeth.

clairenewcastle
October 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I've read so much about the Body Shop's wooden comb I'm dying to try one.

Tinose
October 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I loved my Conair wooden comb, but alas, it got a split at the bottom of one of the spaces, that I'm afraid my hair will catch on. I've never found a plastic comb that I really liked, either. I picked up a Bass wooden comb at one of the new Whole Food competitors in my areas, but the tines are all wrong and I hate it.

Any material's only as good as how it's formed. I'd rather have a good quality seamless plastic comb than a wooden comb I hate. And, of course, wooden combs are more easily damaged than plastic.

Personally, I'm eyeing the bakelite combs next. Although there's some gorgeous wooden combs that I want, the bakelite just seems more practical.

florenonite
October 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I didn't vote because my choice isn't there. I haven't tried them and have no intention of trying them. I don't think they're a scam, I just am perfectly happy with my Tangle Teezer and don't see any reason to get another detangling apparatus when I've got one that works beautifully.

pinchbeck
October 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I didn't like the wooden comb at all and felt it wasn't gentle on my easy-to-break hair. My hair does well with either horn combs (ah...the way these glide through hair) or seamless hand carved resin combs (sold at Hairsense.com) which can take more abuse like falls on the ground.

tamif27
October 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'm new, I just intro'd myself in the other thread.

Wanted to chime in here. I've just bought what appears to be a rather nice Chinese-made sandalwood! comb on eBay. Got it just a bit ago. The price was sure right, and the comb is nicely made, and feels pretty good on my head.

I'll let y'all know how it goes if I can remember to post here.

windinherhair
October 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
There wasn't an option for choosing a wooden comb and seeing a little difference. Before joining LHC, I was never as observant about my hair as what I am now. I got my first wooden comb in April and the biggest change I have noticed is there isn't static in my hair anymore like I got with the plastic combs. I haven't noticed a "huge" difference in any other qualities of the hair because of a wooden comb, but like I mentioned, I wasn't as observant before.

skydancer7
October 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
For me it is just a difference in the static factor.

Plastic wide tooth comb = static.
Wooden wide tooth comb = no static.

Works for me!

Sissy
October 23rd, 2009, 07:06 PM
I own a Body Shop wooden comb and although I like it I wouldn't say it's got anything on my Seamless Bakelite comb.

What I do love and think makes a difference is my Wooden Brush... it's fantastic compared to brushes sold in shops.

Sissy

2peasinapod
October 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I have a Body Shop wooden comb, and it's made a difference for me. My hair is a lot smoother, and I don't get tangles or flyaways nearly as much anymore :)

Liat
October 25th, 2009, 02:15 AM

Yozhik
October 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
There wasn't an option for choosing a wooden comb and seeing a little difference. Before joining LHC, I was never as observant about my hair as what I am now. I got my first wooden comb in April and the biggest change I have noticed is there isn't static in my hair anymore like I got with the plastic combs. I haven't noticed a "huge" difference in any other qualities of the hair because of a wooden comb, but like I mentioned, I wasn't as observant before.

Same here. I used a wooden comb before I joined, and I liked it more for aesthetic reasons than anything else, although I heard that it helped with moving the oil down the hair shaft.
When I joined LHC, I got a bone comb, which I adore. I've definitely noticed a difference since joining here, but that's reliant a number of factors other than the comb, I suspect :D

Tornerose
October 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I bought my first wooden comb at The Body Shop on saturday :D
I have yet to try it though, because I noticed a white residue on my pink plastic comb, so I think I have to clarify first.

clairenewcastle
October 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I b.ought my first wooden comb at The Body Shop on saturday :D
I have yet to try it though, because I noticed a white residue on my pink plastic comb, so I think I have to clarify first.

I used to get that white residue all the time on my comb when I used cones but since going cone free it's disappeared.
I've been planning to go to the Body Shop for a wooden comb for quite a while, yet I still haven't managed to get there.

Tornerose
October 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM
clairenewcastle: I think I didn't get all the ocnditioner out last time I washed. I did it in the bathtub and my hair has felt kind of waxy, so I think the cones aren't really the culprit. I haven't gotten white residue before so...

Yeah I plan on going conefree after clarifying. Or atleast I think it's cone-free. I have some shampoos from Nature's Gate Organics just waiting for me. But I read tehyre not as natural as I thought they were anyway.So I have some shampoo bars lying around, that I didn't get to work before. After I came here I've been wanting to try them again

klcqtee
October 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I didn't find a difference between my wooden comb and a standard hair brush. I think it's all about how gentle you are.

MAO
October 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I love my wooden comb! No more static when I comb and I can scritch my scalp without pulling out a bunch of hair like the plastic comb did.

Isilme
October 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I prefer wood over horn. I really like wooden combs, so much that I recently switched all my horn combs to wood.

SlightlySoprano
January 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM
How long do you need to comb with a wooden comb to get it to really distribute oil? I just bought a body shop one today... I've heard good things about it in general!

squiggyflop
January 9th, 2010, 07:25 PM
ive tried a few different types of wooden combs.. the best ones for me are the ones i made myself (duh they were custom designed for my hair so of course they would be better for me)

i prefer horn combs.. they dont make the weird noise wooden ones make when they go through my hair.. ugh that sound from the wood combs sends chills down my spine..

it all depends on how tough your hair is.. if your hair splits and breaks easily then seamless is the way to go.. but if your hair is tough and can take alot of punishment then seams wont cause the same damage that it causes for people like me..

but speaking of wooden things.. i had tremendous improvement in my hair when i switched to a wood bristle brush from my old goody brush.. the wood bristle brushes dont make that awful sound that wood combs make

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I still have plastic... and thinking.

First I wanted horn comb... so much ! I felt REALLY attracted to those. But then I got information on what "removing horns" means (how it's done) and I just couldn't get myself to buy one.

So I'm lurking around to find a wood one and using mostly my fingers until then ... I think plastic just not the best tool to be using and I feel wood would be much better.

Sweetness
January 9th, 2010, 07:55 PM
squiggyflop, how do you make a wooden comb !?? I'd love to know !

anneisanne
January 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I've been looking for a wooden comb- I really want to see what all the hype is about.

squiggyflop
January 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
squiggyflop, how do you make a wooden comb !?? I'd love to know !
some directions are on my website and in the selfmade hairtoys thread..
to get to my site click on my name <<< and then select visit squiggyflops homepage..

its like maybe a 4 hour project and i only show how to make wide tooth because my hair hates finetooth.. it would cost maybe 4$.. with the exception of a 6$ coping saw.. but most people have one of those lying around anyway..
coping saw+wood+sandpaper(extrafine)+one dollar pack of emery boards from the dollar store+whatever sealant you use or oil or whatever..
i use a poly sealer but im fond of a glasslike sheen you might not be

Isabelle1984
January 10th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Since I use a wooden comb, my hair never ever got static again. And this is a big plus to me ;)

papillion
January 10th, 2010, 08:10 AM
The last time I used anything other than a wooden comb on my hair was over a year ago, and I've seen a big improvement in my hair.

Of course, that's the same time period that I've been changing my routine as I learn more things from LHC, so it's very probably that only some of the improvement has come from using the wooden comb.

AgnesONutter
January 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I wish there was an option that said it has made a difference, but not a huge difference since I would be lying if I said it has made a huge one, but at the same time it has definitely made a difference. Personally, I prefer my wooden comb over my fingers but the end result is about the same I think except that the comb is quicker to use. As long as the tool you use is non static and smooth, and doesn't get tangled in your tangles I think it will do fine.

Fractalsofhair
January 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I've used a bodyshop one I got for the holidays and it does help a lot with frizz. However, it sorta leaves my hair "chunky", which I dislike.

QueenAnne'sLace
January 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a wood girl, mostly due to an aversion to all things plastic. Being curly with delicate strands, I tend to use it more for scritching than anything else. It's bamboo, which I suppose is a grass and not a wood, but functions in the same way. :)

akka naeda
January 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I originally had a peachwood comb, it was fantastic - got rid of the static I always seemed to have (and still do) with plastic combs and brushes.

Now I have a boxwood one and although it's the same style as the peachwood, I don't like it as much, I really don't know quite why. Sadly, as the peachwood one broke, I can't do a comparison to see if the wood really is diferent.

DD has been telling me for the past couple of months that she is going to make me a wooden comb. She hasn't yet got round to doing it though.

GlassEyes
January 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Not for me, unless you can find one made out of dymondwood. I do all my combing on wet hair--so wood combs are out.

Sweetness
January 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I've never used a wood comb before, as said above. But I found out I had everything here to try and make one... so I did ! Took 1-2 hours maximum.

This is the result (now drying with some oil on it)

I drew using my own plastic wide teeth comb as a model on the wood, cut out the teeth (was so bad with the saw that most broke off but saved 3...), hand sanded a long time until really soft, dyed it with 100 &#37; beet juice, then oiled and left to dry...

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1263146493.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1263146493.jpg/1.html)

Wonder if I'll work better than my plastic ones...

pinchbeck
January 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
The idea of a wooden comb was intriguing, but when I brought one home my views changed. I didn't like the way it performed at all and now faithfully use a seamless bone comb carved out of resin. My experience with horn combs have been the best, but the one I had dropped on the floor and broke in half.

CarpeDM
November 18th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Personally I think there is a big difference. I used an old plastic pick for years. In fact, I had it so long I don't even know where it came from or how long I had it for, that is how long I had it (but it screamed late 80's). And one day I realized it was making my hair ends snap when I would use it after the shower. I started reading about wood as opposed to plastic and how it was better for your hair. So I ordered two wood combs, one from the body shop and one from widu. When the widu came in I was in love, when the body shop comb came in I was disappointed. I had read so many great reviews on the body shop comb so maybe I was expecting too much, but I just didn't like it very much, so it was quickly discarded in favor of the widu pick. When I use the wood pick after a shower it slides right through my hair and rarely ever pulls. The spacing works really well for my fine hair and it is tons better than my old plastic pick. The other thing I like about using wood is that you can oil it or put shea butter on it and massage it in. This makes the comb really soft and smooth when you run it through your hair and it adds a little extra conditioning. I don't think I will go back to plastic.

nucleardelusion
November 18th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I don't get so many little broken hair pieces all over my lap when I use my wooden comb. My long haired boyfriend prefers to borrow it, it doesn't tug as much as other combs.:)

Anywhere
November 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I've never used a wood comb before, as said above. But I found out I had everything here to try and make one... so I did ! Took 1-2 hours maximum.

This is the result (now drying with some oil on it)

I drew using my own plastic wide teeth comb as a model on the wood, cut out the teeth (was so bad with the saw that most broke off but saved 3...), hand sanded a long time until really soft, dyed it with 100 &#37; beet juice, then oiled and left to dry...

Wonder if I'll work better than my plastic ones...

Its adorable! I actually got my first wooden comb in the mail today from etsy..
looks like this: http://i53.tinypic.com/o5upw2.jpg
made of purpleheart. I like it. :shrug:

ETA: I didn't vote in the poll. I like it better because it doesn't snag as much, but I don't think it makes a HUGE difference or NO difference, I think it's somewhere in between.

lajsa
November 19th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I use a cheap plastic comb but it has slight seams and that makes me paranoid :uhh: I think I'll invest in a body shop comb the next time I'm somewhere that has the frigging store :p That's the problem with living in a tiny city...

I've read somewhere that the body shop combs seem to vary a lot in quality, so I reckon the best is to be there and look at them reaaaaaaaaaaally close :D

CarpeDM
November 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Good advice, I bought mine online!

smileycat
November 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I love my cheap body shop wood comb! I pass up the pricier bone and horn combs I purchased later every time.

Sammich
November 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Wooden combs are great for after detangling(For me)... It works better than plastic combs, but really didn't reduce my damage.
Tangle teezer all the way! :D

In2wishin
November 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Wooden combs definitely make a difference BUT my yak horn combs made even more of a difference.

Misso
November 19th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I love wooden combs. I buy the ones from body shop and they work wonderfully. I have not been using them on wet hair till recently I oil it and then use it and it works so nice. I discovered that if you oil it before use it goes through the hair even smoother.

Avvoltoio
November 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
i don't know about wooden comb, but wooden brush made a huge difference for me:
i use that:
http://images.productserve.com/preview/2150/39398639.jpg

aenflex
November 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I didn't find a middle ground choice in the poll, so I didn't vote. I will say this though, back when I used to use wooden combs, I was very satisfied with them. I loved soaking them in Camellia or Olive oil and then just combing away. I don't think they are scam, but I also don't think they made a HUGE difference. I did like them better than plastic though.

Kome
November 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I have a wooden comb and a wooden brush. The comb made a HUGE difference for me. I always used brushes and then switched to plastic combs one day, which I liked, but found a bit irritating to use. I got the wooden comb from The Body Shop and I saw a difference within' a few days. No more frizzies or static for me! Woohoo!

I really want to try a horn comb next....

ratgirldjh
December 10th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm very surprised to find that I actually seem to reach for my wooden Body Shop comb over my HH horn comb. For some reason the wooden one just 'feel better' to me to use!!! I love the horn one but when it comes down to actually using it - it feels 'dead' to me or something and the wooden one feels more 'alive'... I'm not sure what that means - it's just how it feels (hard to relate a feeling!).

Anyway I also have some horn hair toys and usually pass those by for wood too... I think I am just more attracted to wood for some reason!

And it also seems like I lose less hairs with my wooden comb than my horn comb - even though the wooden comb does make a weird noise when I use it... the horn one seems to be too deep for my hair or something... like the teeth are too long - I don't know really - it is really slippery and slips through my hair - but I always have a pile of hair on the floor when I use the horn comb - and notice a smaller pile with the wooden comb. (i only comb once a day - at night before bed).

All I know is that I loved my horn comb until I got the Body Shop wooden comb and now I seem to prefer it!!!

weird, huh? you would think that a more expensive comb (lol) 13/us + shipping versus a cheap wooden comb 7/us -no shipping - would work better!!!???
djh

AnnaJamila
December 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ooooooo, now I REALLY want to try one!!!

ooo
December 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
cheese of course. I prefer horn.

christine1989
December 10th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I have one and I really like it. It has pretty fine teeth so I doubt it is really "good" for my hair but I like that it reduces frizz and makes my ends less dry by distributing natural oils to them. I still use a plastic comb on my wet hair (for obvious reasons) but I always use the wood one when my hair is dry.

knoxkatie
December 10th, 2010, 06:59 PM
i use the $6 body shop one too. it's amazing how much better it feels on my hair and scalp.

ccmuffingirl
December 10th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Didn't know what choice to pick. For me, it depends on the kind of wooden comb. I've only met one wooden comb I truly adore, and that's the Body Shop's wooden comb. Detangles like a dream! For me, though, nothing replaces either horn combs or resin (aka bone) combs. They are seamless and non-static producing and I have noticed a marked improvement in the smoothness of my hair as well as much less breakage. However, I still have my wide-toothed Jilbere shower comb (plastic) that I use if I need to detangle in the shower. I'm not bringing my precious horn, resin, or wood combs in there!

smara
December 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I have been using neem wood and deodar wood comb for many years. I have chronic TE, so I lose hair every day, whether I use plastic or wooden comb, lol. So I can't really say it has made a difference... but using wooden comb gives me a personal satisfaction that I am using a natural product on my hair.

Cons - I do miss the precise pull and combing when using a plastic one - with wooden combs, the "teeth" aren't just close enough to gather my hair in a tight, gap-free hairdo (hope I make sense, sorry I am an ESL speaker!)

R

miss_purple
December 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I haven't tried one, but I really want to.

RitaPG
December 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I've used a wooden comb and it makes a huge difference.

I have also used pastic combs, and they're just fine.

LissaJane
December 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM
This thread makes me want to go out and buy combs.
I've been using a cheapish plastic one which I bought upon hearing that combing was better for your hair than brushing it. It's obviously from a mold, but I don't feel like it damages my hair... maybe it's just the fact that I went from brush to comb, showing me just how disagreeable a brush was to my hair.

I would be really interested to try out a wooden comb, which I think I'll go out and buy from the body shop as soon as I get my paycheque. What I really want to get my hands on though is a bone/horn comb, which I'm fairly sure I'll have trouble finding here in Dubai, but none whatsoever in Africa (which I am heading to very soon). So for the remainder of my time in DXB I intend on finding and using a wooden comb and when I make my way to SA, I'm looking forward to hunting down bone and horn combs. New hairdventure! Excited! :)

Amelia
December 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
My lovely KostKamm (no ad intended) has just saved my hair. i finally got a much wider toothed comb and it has made all the difference.

I wouldn't try horn combs for the simple reason that it comes from an animal.

redwoman
December 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I have'nt tried one yet but I want to.

allurose
December 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Not sure where to vote for this one, because I think it depends on the comb. A lot of the "gentle!" or "green!" wooden combs I see are niiice and smooth on the outside, but the part where the teeth was cut out is still rough, if it was sanded at all. I have 3 wooden combs from 3 different places (Whole Foods bamboo comb, one from Sally's, and a handcrafted one from the Dicken's Faire) and they ALL had very rough interiors, even though the rest of the comb was satiny smooth. I had to sand them all between the teeth. Once I had they were quite nice.

Your poll doesn't specify if the plastic combs are seamed or not, or if this includes Bakelite ("bone") combs, which are unseamed.

I think the material matters less than the quality: no seams and sanded to perfection is a must. I still prefer my fingers for gentle detangling, though.

Crackaleen
December 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I didn't vote because I've used wooden combs and noticed some difference, but I wouldn't say it was huge. However the wood combs I owned in the past eventually developed cracks and splinters (and no, I wasn't using it on wet hair) so I switched to horn and have been very happy ever since.

Lune d'Loup
December 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I love my wooden comb from the bath and body shop! it has made a difference in the look of my hair, seems to help the wave come out and it detangles great on wet or dry hair.

SC
July 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I haven't tried one, but want to. I've also heard positive thoughts about horn combs. But because I'm vegetarian (vegan someday) I need to keep my mind with the wooden ones, and I'm very strict with that thought since I can't always get hair products that are not tested with animals. Going to see if one Body Shop store near here has wooden combs.

ETA: bought wooden detangling comb from body shop, will try it later today :)

Jing
July 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I use a plastic one for now, but I just ordered a horn one (partly because it sounds awesome and the design was awesome). I'll try a wood one the day I find one I like the look of. Sometimes it's really a pain to be so hung up on aesthetics.

Jezerellica
July 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
WOW! That many members want to try one, but haven't. I am shocked. It was one of the first things I saved for. Got mine from the Body Shop and I altogether, like it. I say that as I think it is too wide of a comb for my hair type. It misses fluff and tangles, so although I like it, I could use a different kind. The wood feels nice against my scalp. Better than plastic.

terpentyna
July 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I say it's a big difference, how can it not be? it doesn't cause static.

ellen732
July 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I like my tangle teaser better than my Body Shop wood comb, but I still have to use a plastic wide tooth comb to make a part in my hair.

Copasetic
July 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I had a wooden comb and I liked it, but I only comb my hair when wet which caused the comb to warp and develop little splinter things. For me personally, a plastic comb is way better.

PrincessBob
July 25th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Haven't tried it, but it is on my list of things...

sapphire-o
August 31st, 2011, 04:53 AM
I like my wooden combs a lot. Though I voted "no difference". Not sure what difference I'm supposed to find. The thing is the moment I joined LHC I bought a horn comb, a wooden comb (boxwood) and a MP rake (sold it now). Before that I had shorter hair and didn't even own a comb, so I can't really compare them to regular combs. I'd say the wooden comb work as well as horn combs, probably slightly better if you oil the comb before combing. My hair is slippery, though and doesn't tangle much. I actually don't comb very much. I'm ashamed to count how many combs I have.

Choctaw
January 1st, 2012, 03:46 AM
I am switching from plastic combs (shower, large pick) to rubber combs made by Hercules Sagemann combs. I chose the rubber combs because I use combs to detangle in the shower, distribute oils and conditioners. I was afraid of dropping the horn or resin combs and wooden combs might splinter.

I will post update ... if I remember :rolleyes: ... after I use them for a few weeks.

Renate
January 1st, 2012, 05:55 AM
I've used wooden combs but they had seams! Weren't handmade. I could find a handmade one... It was terrible for my hair. Now I'm using a great quality plastic comb, and I love it. No damage!

smartblonde21
January 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM
I bought my first wooden comb today at Sally's Beauty Supply and I love it. It is a short tooth comb that has widely spaced teeth on one end and smaller spacing on the other. Compared to plastic, seamed combs, the wooden comb is much better. I've noticed a reduction in static as well as tugging and ripping while detangling. Also, when the wooden comb is oiled it makes my hair much softer and smoother. The one problem is that I'm afraid to use the wooden comb for detangling wet hair. This comb was pretty cheap, so I think I will try it out and see what happens.

Long_hair_bear
January 21st, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm quite happy with my tangle teezer. :D

Kat
January 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hrm, might have to try one. I've finger-detangled for years because whenever I use a comb, I can feel and hear hairs snapping. I've always figured it must be that my fingers are more sensitive and I'm more able to feel when I come to a difficult area so I can work it out gently rather than not noticing subtle snags with a comb. But maybe it's my combs, if many of you are finding that wood makes a difference in this area.

If I can find a cheap one IRL so I won't have to pay shipping and it won't be too much of a loss if I find it doesn't work any better than plastic for me, I'll give it a whirl, but I wouldn't try a pricey one without knowing for sure that it'll work out for me. I've wanted to try a wood comb for a long time but haven't because I figured it would end up the same as the rest and wouldn't get used (I have at least two or three plastic combs that sit in a drawer and have for years).

smartblonde21
January 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm quite happy with my tangle teezer. :D

I have always wondered how the tangle teezer works compared to a brush. What keeps it from pulling? Is it because it is seamless?

smartblonde21
January 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM
Hrm, might have to try one. I've finger-detangled for years because whenever I use a comb, I can feel and hear hairs snapping. I've always figured it must be that my fingers are more sensitive and I'm more able to feel when I come to a difficult area so I can work it out gently rather than not noticing subtle snags with a comb. But maybe it's my combs, if many of you are finding that wood makes a difference in this area.

If I can find a cheap one IRL so I won't have to pay shipping and it won't be too much of a loss if I find it doesn't work any better than plastic for me, I'll give it a whirl, but I wouldn't try a pricey one without knowing for sure that it'll work out for me. I've wanted to try a wood comb for a long time but haven't because I figured it would end up the same as the rest and wouldn't get used (I have at least two or three plastic combs that sit in a drawer and have for years).

Yea, I felt the same way. When I used a plastic comb I could hear so much ripping. When I heard that wooden combs were better, I decided to go out and get one to try. I got one cheap at Sally's for 4 USD, and the difference for me was significant. It still catches in a tangle, but I can easily remove the comb and separate the tangle with my fingers. With the plastic comb, the seam would break hair where there wasn't even a tangle. I guess my hair is just sensitive.

Mommyof4
January 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
I saw one in Sally's a few weeks ago and almost bought it.. but wanted to search LHC first... I'm gonna go get it and try it out :D

smartblonde21
January 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
I saw one in Sally's a few weeks ago and almost bought it.. but wanted to search LHC first... I'm gonna go get it and try it out :D

That's where I bought mine...Hope it works out for you!

SlightlySoprano
January 21st, 2012, 08:48 PM
When I originally voted in this poll I hadn't tried a wooden comb but since then I bought one and have been using it regularly and definitely see improvement in static and breakage :)

Goldenberry
January 22nd, 2012, 06:34 AM
I don't always comb my hair with a comb, but when I do I use a wooden one from the Body Shop. It's wide-toothed, so it goes much easier through the hair + no static.

MonaLisa
January 23rd, 2012, 02:35 AM
I actually have one, but it just seems harsh and I always avoid using it. Guess someday I should try...

Kat
January 23rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Might have to go to The Body Shop and get one (the ones I see online from Sally Beauty look nice, but don't look like they're wide-tooth combs, which is what I need, I think, with as tangly as my hair gets). Ugh, I hate to have to brave the mall just for that, but one of these weekends I'll do it.

nala89
February 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
I have wooden combs and compared to other combs I don't really notice a difference (compared to brushes my hair breaks much less!). To be honest I use them because I think they are much prettier than plastic combs because mine are hand painted (they have a floral design on them).

Safira
February 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
I have two wooden combs, one plastic and a brush. I love my wooden combs, the don“t break the hair, and they detangle much better than the plastic one.

MonaMayfair
February 4th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I just got one and have been using it for the past three days. TBH I don't notice an awful lot of difference between the wooden one and my old Kent comb.

However, I had my hair cut a few weeks ago, and layers cut in, and now it gets way more tangled (it won't stay neatly in the two braids I wear around the house and at night) so I'd be having trouble untangling with any implement!

I do have a Tangle Teezer too, though I almost exclusively use a comb. Not terrifically keen on the TT either, though it's better than my previous brush (Denman)

LissaJane
February 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Wish I could change my vote, originally "I haven't tried one, but want to" to "I've used a wooden comb and it makes a huge difference". I love my comb, ten thousand times better than my plastic one.... I spent so long looking for one, though. So worth the wait.

ludwig20
February 4th, 2012, 06:03 PM
I'm interested in one because my hair gets static easily.

PsycheOrigami
February 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Wooden combs made a difference in my hair most likely due to the fact that I was using a cheap plastic comb before I found them. With my wooden comb, there is not the issue of catching on seams and snapping hairs.

curlsgalore
February 4th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Love my body shop wooden combs, i have three!! :D
My hair is curly and these are perfect, as they don't pull out my curl. I use one on wet hair after I put in my products and on dry hair wen styling. They are so smooth! I also have a few americombs that come in second best. I do have a couple Bakelite combs, both detanglers for the shower. I just ordered another comb from hotcombs that I'm anxious to receive.
I prefer the wooden combs because they reduce static on dry hair and are very gentle on my hair, never snagging.

elfgirl
February 4th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I've been using a wooden comb since the late summer/early fall (I can't remember when exactly I got it :p ), and my hair seems to be in better condition after detangling overall. When I used to use a plastic comb, I could feel the hair sometimes catching on the comb itself (hope that makes sense). With my wooden comb, I don't notice that at all. It works great for both wet and dry hair, and it's double sided (ie: a wide tooth side for wet, and a finer tooth side for dry...I usually use the wide tooth side for both wet and dry though, as it's easier overall) :)

sarah061
February 4th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I have one but I'm not sure it makes a difference, or what difference it was even supposed to make - I just bought it because I thought it was pretty to be totally honest.

It is however excellent for scritching my scalp haha Feels so good!

Tuna
February 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Just bought one! Huuuge difference (i've been using cheap plastic comb before, and i lost my favourite brush months ago... since then my hair was realy poor :( )...
And now... it detangles sooo easily. I love it! I can't wait to see long term results.

diamantenstaub
February 9th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I really can't work with wooden combs. I bought this pretty expensive one because I thought that my plastic comb is not good. Though I really prefer the plastic one. The handling is completely different but I really think that the wooden one causes little knots.. :(

woolyleprechaun
February 9th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Ive god a wide toothed Bpody Shop one (Oh how I love it) and a chinese fine toothed one. I love them both, and not just because they are pretty ;)

PurplePenguin
February 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I just bought my first wooden comb today from Whole Foods, I figured it would take a little while to feel the difference of using one but I saw and felt the difference after the first time I used it! My hair felt softer, looked better, and I only picked about 7 hairs out of the comb (a huge feat for me especially since I just killed it with a chemical process 2 days ago)1 DH even bought himself a brush with bamboo bristles (I have no earthly clue why he won't use my comb, he has used a plastic one for ages now :rolleyes:) and his hair feels like silk after brushing it.
Oh I almost forgot, I have curly hair and typically hate using brushes or combs because of the knots but I only had to pull out one knot with my new comb!

Arakazi
February 13th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I used a friend of mine's body shop wooden comb and I was great! I am definatly going to buy one. Also I don't know much about horn combs so I may have to investigate..

Amber_Maiden
February 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I hated my wood comb!

Sillage
February 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I like the way wooden combs distribute oil but mostly I prefer my Mason Pearson combs for everyday use.

ludwig20
February 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Finally got one from the body shop and I love it! Detangling feels easier, hair is softer, and my static issue seems to be resolved.

Seeshami
February 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I have a wooden brush thingy that I bought be because it looked brush like but I am pretty sure it's a back scratcher. I really really like it. It lives in my purse now.

LoversLullaby
February 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Not for me. I use a cheap Walgreen's brand plastic wide toothed comb with the seams filed down, and it is the most hair friendly comb I have ever used. It slides through my hair like butter. I have a wooden Body Shop comb, and the tines aren't bendy enough for my extreme tangles, causing a lot of breakage. I suppose if you are a bit more patient than I am, it might work well, but detangling with my plastic comb takes less time, is more gentle, and just plain works better for my hair.

excentricat
February 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I originally voted that I hadn't tried. I have now, and it is definitely worthwhile. I've used plastic combs all my life, and the wooden one is much nicer to use. It glides through nicer and doesn't give me the static of plastic. And they aren't very expensive, so definitely worthwhile for me.

QueenOfTheSkye
February 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I don't know if this experience is unique to me, but my wooden comb really seems to increase my thickness. It doesn't pull out so much hair as my old paddle brush used to, and while I've never used a plastic comb on a regular basis, I enjoy my wooden comb enough that I don't think I'll ever be tempted to try.

Bedhead
February 16th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I use the Body Shop wide tooth comb too, and I can say it is a huge difference in compared to both fine toothed and wide tooth combs. I can actually feel it spreading the sebum in my hair, and instead of creating tangles, as the plastic did, it just combs right through my hair without a snag. It feels good too, like the way a good BBB might feel when used properly.

pepperminttea
February 17th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I really loved my wooden comb, but I find I love my bakelite one more (the '210' comb here (http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php)); it's easier to clean, and has the same side-effect as wood does in the lack of static (compared to using a typical plastic comb). Also I had trouble finding a smooth, properly wide-toothed wooden comb (the Body Shop one that I tried was very rough :( ), most of the wooden combs I came across were too narrow-toothed for me, though not super-fine.

cheetahfast
February 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Wooden combs aren't expensive so I don't see how they'd be a scam.

Mine gets out tangles so well :D