PDA

View Full Version : What goes through your mind WHILE getting a haircut?

priinnz
September 23rd, 2018, 08:08 PM
Hi All,
Starting a thread for the first time here. I was looking if there is another thread on this, but couldn't find any which discusses exactly what is going on inside your head while getting a haircut?

For me, haircuts are an unnecessary evil. I am as frightened as a baby chicken in a slaughterhouse and if only you could be in my head while the scissors are busily snipping my hair away, you would know the absolute terror I am in.

Firstly, I am not sure how, but each salon visit starts with me insisting on a straight blunt cut (only 2 cm please please please), but ends in a layered cut.

My thoughts during the cut:

Is that 2 cm? looks more than 2 cm.. :(
What is she spraying? Does that have alcohol? Smells coconutty... hmmm.. will this work to detangle at home? Trying to read the label on the bottle.... oops don't bend the head!
I hope the scissor is sharp
OMG what is happening to my hair!!! shall I snatch my hair back. Please give my hair back.
Dont snatch your hair back... BEHAVE!
(looking in the mirror) don't frown, stop frowning... wrinkles are not looking good..
I think she already snipped off 2 cm once and is snipping 2 cm more of the same hair!
My hair were so long :(
No don't cut that much... its too much! LESS PLEASE! :agape:
I hope they grow back before I visit mum/ mum-in-law again
She is blow drying. Should I tell her don't blow dry? Should I? Should I not? Is it ok one time?
My hair feel so light. I guess more than half of it has been cut off. :mad:mad
(Seeing the fallen bits on the floor) My poor little babiessss... sob sob.
Oil massage tomorrow. This needs to grow back.:disgust:
Why did I go for a cut? Oh dear!

Sulking and complaining that my hair is so short now... DH: did you even get a haircut? It looks same... Me: :rolleyes:

illicitlizard
September 24th, 2018, 02:28 AM
Omg that sounds drama filled! Maybe you need to work out a way to self trim, might get rid of the anxiety of seeing a hairdresser (or girl you gotta give up your loyalty and go to someone else who you trust to do only what you say).

I've always quite enjoyed getting my hair cut, people fussing over me, the head massage in the shampoo bowl, all the lovely scents it's kinda my jam. Really relaxing. The only time I dislike it is when the stylists talk too much or not enough (there's a specific balance I'm picky). I have had a couple moments before I found my current hairdresser, when I've seen how they're shaping my hair and just silently cursed because I know it's not what I want.
Also I've had the opposite problem, I'd always get hairdressers wanting to preserve my length and give me a blunt cut when all I wanted was to get the gd hair off my head and put some movement in it!

I used to be quite meek in person too so would never speak up about any issues with the cut. Nowadays I do though, turns out it really helps to communicate. So next time they look lined up to cut too much just tell them you want less off (ime sometimes hairdressers want to take off all your split ends rather than just the amount you're willing to lose so they go a little extra). After all, you're paying them! They don't usually have malicious intent to your lovely tresses :)

Anyway that aside, the only thing that goes through my head during a haircut is 'mmmm smells nice' and 'haha I look like a drowned rat with my wet hair back and this silly cape on'.

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 05:40 AM
If it's that stressful, I would look into Feye's self-trimming instructions, get cozy and familiar with them and try it next time. You can't mess this up more than a 2 cm cut at the salon! Honestly.

Just go for self-trimming, it is *so* worth it!

Best of luck to you! :)

Nini
September 24th, 2018, 05:49 AM
Well, back when I was 11 or 12 I'd decided to cut from almost hip to just below my ears after thinking about it for a year or so. I had a very chatty hairdresser, from the North of Norway which will make sense to those of you familiar with them. She was constantly asking me if I was sure about this, even when she'd cut half of it and was working her way around my neck, and I distinctly remember thinking "Well, if I wasn't sure before I'd definitely have to be now as half of it is cut off" :D

lithostoic
September 24th, 2018, 03:58 PM
"I can't handle another 5 minutes of small talk" "If it comes out shorter than I asked I'm going to be pissed"

I cut my hair myself these days.

MoonRabbit
September 24th, 2018, 06:21 PM
"I can't handle another 5 minutes of small talk" "If it comes out shorter than I asked I'm going to be pissed"

The small talk is the worst!

Arciela
September 24th, 2018, 08:31 PM

Yes omg the small talk is sooo awkward lol eventually the hairdresser would give up and talk to the people around her or other customers :lol: and that was when I'd get my hair done...I'd be stuck in there for a good 5 hours D:

cjk
September 24th, 2018, 10:41 PM
My response might be unique. To remain polite, let's just say that I really enjoy being barbered on, for me having a skilled barber work on you is rather like a man-spa, and I've been known to end up a little...too excited.

I hope he doesn't notice. Or if he does, that he understands.

Stray_mind
September 24th, 2018, 10:57 PM
I actually enjoy getting my hair trimmed. The ends feel so nice and thick after. And i like my hair dresser, it's always nice to talk to her. We can talk about Everything. Also the scalp massage as she washes my hair is Heaven.

I usually don't think much when my hair is getting trimmed though, so i don't know what to write :)

littlestarface
September 25th, 2018, 12:12 AM
Even when I trim my own hair i'm always thinking too much.. first thought that comes to my mind.. Blood! I think my hair is gonna bleed when I first cut it, then my mind really starts racing.

"oh god please don't let it turn out wrong, oh god.. its gonna turn out wrong, dear god i know its gonna turn out wrong, PLEASE GOD don't let it be lopsided!!! please don't let me eff it up!!! please don't let her eff it up I beg you!!!!!!!!!!, oh I just know its gonna turn out horrible!!!!!!!!!!! welp I guess i'm gonna do it i'm gonna eff up my hair, yup i'm effing it up, just wait until I see it its gonna be wonky and everyone's gonna laugh at me and say oh look at how self trimmers look ridiculous with lopsided hair".

At salon... Looks at mirror :ohmy: "yup it turned out wrong" "I didn't want this!!!!" OH DEAR LORD why did I trust her with my bangs!" Leaves all pissed off. The one time I got it done so good "oh wow I wanna come back every time just to have her cut it again *swishes hair* Goes back to salon some time later,, "hey:D wheres that chick who cut my hair??" "oh sorry she never existed :( but I can do it:eyebrows:" I say:disgust: "No thanks"walks out and never goes back.

At home.. looks at mirror :ohmy: "well at least its not lopsided, i'll check on it tomorrow just to be sure"*checks on it every 5 seconds with 2 mirrors, with a camera, have the boys check it out, post a picture here to make sure*. At home... looks at mirror "what was I thinking putting all this dumb bangs, I cut too much and it don't look like how he did it in the video :wail: they don't blend and don't look like side swept. I cry for about a week and try to forget them and then when they get long again... Hmm maybe I should do bangs again, I think I can follow what the video does, it looks easy :D

I'm a friggin mess, :slap:a total psycho when it comes to my hair.
:justy:

priinnz
September 25th, 2018, 02:20 AM
Omg that sounds drama filled! Maybe you need to work out a way to self trim, might get rid of the anxiety of seeing a hairdresser (or girl you gotta give up your loyalty and go to someone else who you trust to do only what you say).

I've always quite enjoyed getting my hair cut, people fussing over me, the head massage in the shampoo bowl, all the lovely scents it's kinda my jam. Really relaxing. The only time I dislike it is when the stylists talk too much or not enough (there's a specific balance I'm picky). I have had a couple moments before I found my current hairdresser, when I've seen how they're shaping my hair and just silently cursed because I know it's not what I want.
Also I've had the opposite problem, I'd always get hairdressers wanting to preserve my length and give me a blunt cut when all I wanted was to get the gd hair off my head and put some movement in it!

I used to be quite meek in person too so would never speak up about any issues with the cut. Nowadays I do though, turns out it really helps to communicate. So next time they look lined up to cut too much just tell them you want less off (ime sometimes hairdressers want to take off all your split ends rather than just the amount you're willing to lose so they go a little extra). After all, you're paying them! They don't usually have malicious intent to your lovely tresses :)

Anyway that aside, the only thing that goes through my head during a haircut is 'mmmm smells nice' and 'haha I look like a drowned rat with my wet hair back and this silly cape on'.

The drowned rat thought is one that goes through my head too...
thanks for your suggestions. The fact however is that I still haven’t found one hairdresser to do my hair every time. The hairdressers at most salons keep changing and at the frequency (or rather the lack of it) at which I get my hair cut means the staff has usually changed...

That’s said, hair related anxiety has been a big issue with me since childhood. Can’t stop feeling sad about losing the length but it is necessary evil as I get too many split ends

illicitlizard
September 25th, 2018, 07:19 AM
The drowned rat thought is one that goes through my head too...
thanks for your suggestions. The fact however is that I still haven’t found one hairdresser to do my hair every time. The hairdressers at most salons keep changing and at the frequency (or rather the lack of it) at which I get my hair cut means the staff has usually changed...

That’s said, hair related anxiety has been a big issue with me since childhood. Can’t stop feeling sad about losing the length but it is necessary evil as I get too many split ends

Oh man that's so frustrating! Finding a consistent hairdresser who knows you and your hair is the best. Losing length is always a bummer when you actually want to keep your hair so I totally get that, splits are so unwelcome can we work out a technology to just not let them happen? That'd be great. Seems like a lot of people have hated haircuts since childhood so you're not alone there :)

Alibran
September 25th, 2018, 07:24 AM
I'm very careful about who I allow to cut my hair. My last stylist had been cutting it for over 5 years (since she was first qualified), and she knew what I expected of her in terms of doing exactly what I told her I wanted. She spent a long time over it, and cut a little off at first, then we talked about it and I decided if I wanted more cut. She'd make suggestions, but she wouldn't do anything until I'd made a decision.

When I moved away, I got my roots coloured at 3 different salons before I found a stylist I was happy with. At my first colour appointment, we were talking about growing hair, and she told me about a friend who is trying to grow hers but complaining about how slow it is. She told her, "If you want it to grow, you need to stop having so much cut off." Win! The first time she cut my hair, I asked her to cut off as much damage as she could without losing more than an inch. We discussed how much an inch is, and she cut half that.

I'm going in for a trim next week, and we're going to talk about working towards the shape I want to grow into.

She uses my products (when I remember to bring them), and doesn't freak out when I insist on reading the ingredients on every bottle in the salon before deciding which she can use (if I forget them). She knows I'm loosely following CG, and knows a fair bit about it - at least, she knows what I've told her - and she's happy to wash my hair with conditioner and use handfuls of leave in. She doesn't fuss about wanting to dry and style my hair. Last time I went, I left with a damp 5 strand dutch braid that she did for me.

Aside from whatever we're chatting about, what goes through my head mostly is how much better my hair's going to look once the split ends are gone.

spidermom
September 25th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Hard to capture what goes through my mind on salon day. It probably goes something like this:
"I think I'd like to move to Ecuador; it sounds nice. Ooooh, but there are probably big poisonous spiders in Ecuador. I know they have snakes. I miss my snakes. I hope they're in good homes. I have to get the painting in the purple room done...." and so on. My mind wanders far and wide. In general, I enjoy the salon experience.

Aredhel
September 25th, 2018, 08:07 AM
"I'm probably gonna regret this....."

Sid0rela
September 25th, 2018, 10:27 AM
"i wanna cut a bob to chin length"

Hairkay
September 25th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I self trim and that is always so relaxing.

priinnz
September 26th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Hard to capture what goes through my mind on salon day. It probably goes something like this:
"I think I'd like to move to Ecuador; it sounds nice. Ooooh, but there are probably big poisonous spiders in Ecuador. I know they have snakes. I miss my snakes. I hope they're in good homes. I have to get the painting in the purple room done...." and so on. My mind wanders far and wide. In general, I enjoy the salon experience.

Spidermom... thats hilarious. Those are the kind of thoughts I have before falling asleep.:D

priinnz
September 26th, 2018, 04:34 PM
I self trim and that is always so relaxing.

I tried self trimming using the pony tail method once, but I had a really choppy layered cut. My husband does trim it for me sometimes but he usually manages to pull a lot of hair while trimming and id not comfortable with the sharp hairdresser's scissors (he preferes the kitchen shears, which I dont want for obvious reasons). So that's why the salon visit.

priinnz
September 26th, 2018, 04:37 PM
I so wish that was possible. I got the RedKen split hair mender, but realised it only seals and doesnt do much to PREVENT. I am learning a lot on LHC and have started using catnip tea as a leave-in. Hope this helps to some extent.

For some reason even though I do not use or style my hair, I have plenty of split ends. Despite S&D I can see new splits everyday. And also the ends of my hair become very thin over time. :(

Ylva
September 26th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I have a pretty good hairdresser who respects my hair and doesn't do anything I don't want her to do to it, so I'm not too worried. I utilise those hours to ask her hair-related questions that have popped up and just to gain as much new insight into hair as possible. I'm not sociable and I actually suffer from a lot of social anxiety, but I find it easy to chat with her, so we talk about a variety of subjects. Last time we chatted about evolution, flies and bus connections, among other subjects. :D

Natalia_A00
September 26th, 2018, 05:30 PM
I feel like a geisha with my hair straightened and with all those hair sticks. It looks cool
But I don't like going there anymore, I always feel that they are cutting way too much and it gets on my nerves. I used to love it when I had shorter hair and I didn't care about the length at all. I could experiment more. Now I really want to achieve long hair and it's totally different.

VersLaLumière
September 26th, 2018, 09:54 PM
One of the main things I'm thinking is, "UGH. WHY WHY WHY is she ripping through my hair with that comb :bigeyes: ???!!! :tmi:

Futurelongbuddy
September 26th, 2018, 11:10 PM
I have cut my own hair since 2009. I just never got good results from salons. My thoughts when I used to get it cut were, 'Oh God I look hideous in this cape in the mirror', and 'You are cutting wayyyy too much'. I do miss the head massages though!

Spar
September 27th, 2018, 08:46 AM
I've gone to the same hairdresser for 13 years now! I've actually never cut my own hair. When I was growing up, my mom was an avid salon-goer (dye, bleach, and manicures), so she always took me to her stylist.

I've never had a bad salon experience or much anxiety getting my haircut. HOWEVER! I recently got more layers put in, and she cut it great! Although I DID have some anxiety when she used the curling iron. I was low-key freaking out when the iron got really close to my face lol. Thankfully no burns or visible heat damage (she had the iron temperature up way higher than I put mine).

My hairdresser has always been pretty good with not cutting too much off. When I had tailbone length, I went in twice a year for a trim and she only cut off 1" max. She has also always cut my hair dry!

Ylva
September 27th, 2018, 08:56 AM
I was low-key freaking out when the iron got really close to my face lol.

I can relate. All of my previous hairdressers insisted on straightening my hair as a finisher (to hide how they fried it) and I was always terrified they'd try and straighten my earlobe by accident, or hit my neck or jaw.

NV
September 27th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I honestly never really think much of getting a haircut, but oh boy did that change today. I asked if they could cut an inch off, but they decided to double it and now my hair is a lot shorter than what I wanted. I noticed this when the first cuts had already been made, so there really wasn't any turning back.. Hair is hair and it'll grow back, so I'm not too bummed about the loss of length, but the worst part of my experience today is that they have also cut my hair crooked, and that it is very visible. I've emailed the salon and asked if they could fix it for me, although I'm honestly a little scared to go back now. This is the first time I've cried after getting my hair cut...

erebus
September 27th, 2018, 12:12 PM

I've had the same hairdresser for years, mostly because I find her easy to talk to. I actually live in a different country now but I still get my haircuts back home.

Hairkay
September 27th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I tried self trimming using the pony tail method once, but I had a really choppy layered cut. My husband does trim it for me sometimes but he usually manages to pull a lot of hair while trimming and id not comfortable with the sharp hairdresser's scissors (he preferes the kitchen shears, which I dont want for obvious reasons). So that's why the salon visit.

If that's what works for you have your salon visit. It's not an option for me though because of my allergies. Add to that most places for my hair type expect you to spend a whole day waiting for their services. Then there's the big focus on having hair straightened just to cut it. I can't take the heat or the chemical straighteners. I didn't grow up with the salon life so I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything.

TreesOfEternity
September 28th, 2018, 07:25 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while now as it's been years since I visit a salon, my mum has done a couple microtrims for me but now my hemline is shorter in one side and I'll need a profesional to fix it when I decide I need a trim. So I don't really know what I will do, I don't know any stylists in my town and the whole process makes me a little anxious lol A good reason to stay away from trims longer.

MusicalSpoons
September 28th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while now as it's been years since I visit a salon, my mum has done a couple microtrims for me but now my hemline is shorter in one side and I'll need a profesional to fix it when I decide I need a trim. So I don't really know what I will do, I don't know any stylists in my town and the whole process makes me a little anxious lol A good reason to stay away from trims longer.

I have read that barbers can be a good option for trimming off exactly what you ask them to and no more; might that be a possibility you could consider?

My hair was only ever cut by a family friend, either at her house or ours. Small talk was not an issue because we all knew each other well - my main problem was standing still and not moving my head, so the only usual thoughts I remember were 'are we nearly finished?' :)

TreesOfEternity
September 28th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I have read that barbers can be a good option for trimming off exactly what you ask them to and no more; might that be a possibility you could consider?

My hair was only ever cut by a family friend, either at her house or ours. Small talk was not an issue because we all knew each other well - my main problem was standing still and not moving my head, so the only usual thoughts I remember were 'are we nearly finished?' :)

Sounds like a good idea, I'll have to consider barbers as well. Having someone you know who has the skills to cut your hair must be awesome though, plus that way you can wash and dry your hair as you please without dealing with harsh manipualtion :)

MusicalSpoons
September 28th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a good idea, I'll have to consider barbers as well. Having someone you know who has the skills to cut your hair must be awesome though, plus that way you can wash and dry your hair as you please without dealing with harsh manipualtion :)

It was very handy, and she only ever cut it dry :D I even insisted on brushing it myself, so she didn't really have a lot to do with my hair :laugh: I have thought I might go to her again when I'm ready for my first post-goal trim (the rest of my immediate family still go to her, so it wouldn't be weird), but part of me also really wants to try Spidermom's self-trimming method. Decisions, decisions :hmm:

Please let us know how it goes if/when you decide to find a professional for a trim :)

TreesOfEternity
September 28th, 2018, 11:22 AM
It was very handy, and she only ever cut it dry :D I even insisted on brushing it myself, so she didn't really have a lot to do with my hair :laugh: I have thought I might go to her again when I'm ready for my first post-goal trim (the rest of my immediate family still go to her, so it wouldn't be weird), but part of me also really wants to try Spidermom's self-trimming method. Decisions, decisions :hmm:

Please let us know how it goes if/when you decide to find a professional for a trim :)

I know right? self trimmimg is so tempting/convenient :) If I decided to go for a U hemline I will definitely try Spidermom's method, I don't trust my hands for a straight hem though haha.

Of course I'll let you all know when the next trim comes, I wanted to wait until 2020 but my ends are extremelly grabby even after clarifying and doing an SMT so I don't know if I'll need a touch up by the end of this year. As you said, so many decisions haha.

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 03:22 PM
mostly, it's like

"oh God oh God oh God oh God"

"should I remind her how short I wanted it..? I mean I've already reminded her eight times but one more totally won't hurt"

"ooh I look cute with wet hair"

"WHERE DID IT GO??"

lucid
November 1st, 2018, 03:55 PM
Haha, I cut from bcl to apl a couple of days ago, and while it was happening my anxiety was through the roof, I almost shed a tear when the first braid was being cut off. I didn't wanna look at my hair when it was done (cut at home by my bf, and not in front of a mirror), but when I finally looked I really liked it!! It was such a ride :lol:

Sid0rela
November 1st, 2018, 04:03 PM
*me BEFORE LHC*: "Can't wait to go get a haircut idc how short she gets it. Cant wait to get one of those hair massages that i love, and get that fresh feeling of healthy ends and finally get a beautiful blowdry."
*me AFTER LHC*: "i definitely need to trim my split ends, but what if she cuts 10cm and im no longer APL, it will take me months to grow and by the end of the year i wont even pass a milestone. What if she washes my hair with hot water and then blow dry. I wont go."

WyntreBlossom
November 1st, 2018, 04:25 PM
*me BEFORE LHC*: "Can't wait to go get a haircut idc how short she gets it. Cant wait to get one of those hair massages that i love, and get that fresh feeling of healthy ends and finally get a beautiful blowdry."
*me AFTER LHC*: "i definitely need to trim my split ends, but what if she cuts 10cm and im no longer APL, it will take me months to grow and by the end of the year i wont even pass a milestone. What if she washes my hair with hot water and then blow dry. I wont go."

This is 100000% relatable omg.

Before LHC : A trim is a trim. Trimming is healthy! Cut those ends off woo! Nice smelling products, might have to take some of these home. Scalp massage yessssss

After LHC (I haven't been to a salon since joining LHC and here is why.... This is what I expect my experience would be like): What ingredients are in this shampoo. Is it sulfate free? Why is she putting conditioner on my ROOTS that is NOT ok. Ok just the ends. 2cm or less. No worries. OH GOD I'm back to APL this is not ok. Never again nope.

Truthfully though, I have not trimmed or micro trimmed in over a year, almost a year and 6 months now. So This may not entirely be accurate but hey. This is what I imagine would be true for me XD.

leayellena
November 2nd, 2018, 01:23 AM
me before lhc: oh God I wish at least my family would let my hair grow to neck length. at least I won't look like a rooster
me before lhc part 2: my hair grew to neck length/SL. I like this length, I don't need much. no more haircuts.
me before LHC 3: my hair has grown a lot in 2 years! (mid-back). googles "long hair" sees classic length loves it until... sees knee length and loves it until... joins lhc and sees the thread "growing to terminal"
me after LHC: S&D for 3 years! it should be at knee length by then?

xoAshley
November 2nd, 2018, 07:25 AM
This is 100000% relatable omg.

Before LHC : A trim is a trim. Trimming is healthy! Cut those ends off woo! Nice smelling products, might have to take some of these home. Scalp massage yessssss

After LHC (I haven't been to a salon since joining LHC and here is why.... This is what I expect my experience would be like): What ingredients are in this shampoo. Is it sulfate free? Why is she putting conditioner on my ROOTS that is NOT ok. Ok just the ends. 2cm or less. No worries. OH GOD I'm back to APL this is not ok. Never again nope.

Truthfully though, I have not trimmed or micro trimmed in over a year, almost a year and 6 months now. So This may not entirely be accurate but hey. This is what I imagine would be true for me XD.

Hahaha, yes. This. And I HATE when the hairdresser would start brushing my hair FROM THE TOP. Just NO. How, as a licensed hair dresser, do you NOT know what you should start at the bottom and work up??

Sora Rose
November 2nd, 2018, 07:34 AM
I trust my mom to do exactly what I asked, but I always have to convince myself that he trim was MUCH needed and will improve my hair overall.

Then, as it's being trimmed: "I wish I could have put it off for another week." and "it's for the greater good." and "Maybe I should have asked for *less* taken off." and even "This was a bad idea."

Few days later and I'll forget the whole ordeal, but I always end up scrutinizing the ends in the mirror afterwards.

I'm also due for a trim next year, and that's only about a month away... I'm getting anxious just thinking about it.:p