PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff Shampoos

GrowlingCupcake
September 23rd, 2018, 06:51 PM
My dandruff seems to be getting worse, so I'd like to switch to a dandruff shampoo to see if that helps. I'm looking for recommendations for specific shampoos or specific ingredients that work for you.

A colour safe one would be nice, but that's not necessary. A regular/drugstore brand would be ideal, since I don't want to spend too much.

Also, for those of you that use dandruff shampoos, do you find you have to use them all the time or can you use them for a bit, then switch back to your usual shampoos?

Doreen
September 23rd, 2018, 07:16 PM
I feel like all dandruff shampoos work about the same for me. I got the Head and Shoulders sensitive formula and it worked fine but not noticeably different from the store brand dandruff shampoo. I don't have color treated hair so can't speak to that aspect. I alternate washes between regular shampoo and the dandruff shampoo, but I wash every other day so results might be different for you if you're a less frequent washer. Another thing that has worked well for me is just mixing the shampoos 50/50 and using that every wash (this is what I do when I travel).

Editing to add, I think the head and shoulders sensitive formula would be a good place to start. It's unscented and works well for mixing too.

Obsidian
September 24th, 2018, 07:34 AM
I really like head and shoulders refreshing for men. It's minty and feels awesome on my scalp. It contains zinc which works good for most dandruff.
If you need something stronger, head and shoulders extra strength or selsun blue is a good choice. Both contain selenium sulfide which is a stronger medicine.

You shouldn't have to use it all the time but since I don't have dandruff, I'm not sure. I have SD and only use medicated shampoo during a flare.

For best results, let the shampoo sit on your head for 5-10 minutes so the med can really work.

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 07:54 AM
If the regular H&S doesn't do a thing (use it for a couple weeks though, it might take a while of continuous washing) then consider getting the Nizoral 1%. Beyond that, if that doesn't do it, then I'd go see a dermatologist, because you may need special shampoos that are a bit stronger than what you can get OTC.

chiapommama
September 24th, 2018, 10:13 AM
I like the Head and shoulders clinical strength. It's pretty strong smelling.Really helps when my scalp flares up. When I have bad itching, it stops it fast.

renia22
September 24th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Here’s a good article on the topic, and active ingredient recommendations:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/06/dandruff-and-dry-scalp-whats-the-difference-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-33/

nycelle
September 24th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Here’s a good article on the topic, and active ingredient recommendations:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/06/dandruff-and-dry-scalp-whats-the-difference-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-33/

Good article! I wish someone explained the difference to me years ago.

renia22
September 24th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Good article! I wish someone explained the difference to me years ago.

Oh good, glad it was helpful. Lots of products to choose from, it can be confusing!

hoggle
September 25th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Great thread

Im in a weird itchy scalp flare and I scratch it in my sleep, keeps everything inflamed

Mary Snow
September 26th, 2018, 06:06 AM
I personally love using the shea moisture clarifying shampoo. I don't like that conditioner for my hair though so you should experiment with that. I usually get really bad dandruff in the winter months. When I first started using this shampoo, I used it for a few washes in a row and now I only use it once a month or as needed.

This shampoo is really nice because it is all natural but you can find it in you local drugstore. It's usually located with or near the ethnic section of the aisle.

GrowlingCupcake
September 26th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Thank you all for the advice, and suggestions. And that helpful article!

My dandruff is not itchy but I do get flakes when I brush/comb, and I some times absentmindedly scratch; it sort of relaxes me. I have a bad area around my hair line so it can be very visible. Washing doesn't seem to help it, so I haven't tried increasing my washes to twice a week to see if it will help. I think I'll try the H&S for a month, and see how that works out for me.

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Thank you all for the advice, and suggestions. And that helpful article!

My dandruff is not itchy but I do get flakes when I brush/comb, and I some times absentmindedly scratch; it sort of relaxes me. I have a bad area around my hair line so it can be very visible. Washing doesn't seem to help it, so I haven't tried increasing my washes to twice a week to see if it will help. I think I'll try the H&S for a month, and see how that works out for me.

That actually sounds like my scalp was, and it turned out not be properly, 'doesn't-produce-oil' dry but the dehydrated kind of dry. I've had success with conditioning my scalp, using a light enough conditioner, before shampooing as normal. I don't know exactly how you scalp is so if you do consider it, of course proceed with caution :flower: I'd tried various things including oiling, humectants, and eventually dandruff shampoo - when I had a bout of aggravated, itchy, weeping scalp for a while, Nizoral 2% helped but my scalp was still 'dry' and flaky - and stopping sulphates helped a lot, but the only thing to come anywhere near clearing it up was using conditioner. Mine was always worst at the hairline too, which is what really made me wonder.

But again, I don't know your scalp and history so with this is really is a case of YMMV!

EDIT: originally wrote stopping silicones, not sulphates. Though I suppose it is worth mentioning the conditioner I use is silicone-free and without oils and butters etc. And H&S over here contains dimethicone, which some people's hair does not like. (My brother still wonders why he looks a greaseball the day after washing with H&S but he won't listen :rolleyes: :shrug: )

nycelle
September 26th, 2018, 10:43 AM
That's exactly where I had most of the problem, my hairline and in the winter.. but mine wasn't dandruff.. it was flakes caused by dry (dehydrated) scalp.