PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Nightmare~Salon~Trip Stories Here!!!

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 05:52 PM
I know we’ve all had them at one time or another....Nightmare Salon Visits! :blueeek:

Please share your bad experiences here...anything from disastrous haircuts to horrible dye jobs.

I’ve had far too many bad salon trips to even mention here. I’d be writing a bloody novel! :laugh:

The last time I went to a salon was for a haircut. A trim, to be exact. I asked for an inch to be removed. I even brought in a mini ruler in my purse, to show exactly how much I wanted cut. Not surprisingly, close to 4 inches was removed.

This was not an isolated incident. It’s happened to me many times. I now cut my own hair and will never trust another hairstylist ever again.

How about you? Tell us about your nightmare salon visit. :disbelief

Doreen
September 23rd, 2018, 06:06 PM
My visit itself wasn't a nightmare, but back when I was at knee my stylist took a picture of my hair and put it on their social media and some of the comments were extremely creepy or rude. I've had my fair share of creepy comments in real life but people on FB were over the top and seemed to come out of the woodwork. Hid the post from my feed, unfollowed the page and after that I started self-trimming. No hard feelings against the stylist because she did exactly what I asked for but it just stressed me out a lot.

Ylva
September 23rd, 2018, 06:23 PM
I don't think I've ever had issues with having more cut than I requested... But I've got a couple of things to share nonetheless. :D

The stylist had no clue about how to deal with long hair. She herself had about ear-length hair which she teased a lot. Back then, I asked for some highlights. The colour result itself was not bad at all, I liked it a lot, but when she was washing my hair, all of my lengths were just piled into the sink. What came out of that was a tangled ball, which she proceeded to rip through with a brush, starting from the roots, just ripping happily. I commented on the amount of hair I was losing that I found it worrying, but she chuckled it off. Truth be told, my scalp was also hurting from all the hair pulling.

The next hairdresser I went to was a bit disrespectful. She made fun of the condition of my hair, then proceeded to make it much worse by misusing Olaplex. You're supposed to leave the No.2 in the hair for at least 10-20 minutes, but she spoke of it as a "conditioner" (which it is not) and only left it in my hair for about one minute. Of course I still paid full price for the visit, even though my hair was left in much worse condition than it was meant to be in. On my second visit, I had booked Olaplex again on their website. While she was mixing the bleach, I asked her if Olaplex was in. She would have forgotten it completely had I not asked about it. But that's not all, it was only then that she said they actually don't use Olaplex anymore, but a different brand. I wasn't really okay with that, because I knew that Olaplex was patented and that chances were the other product wasn't going to function the same way, and I had no idea about it, as many of the other "plexes" tend to have very vague explanations on their websites. Unfortunately, back then I didn't know enough about Olaplex to question the way she used it, but later on I gave them a very negative review on Facebook - that was all I could do about it then.

My current hairdresser isn't perfect either, but nonetheless, I am soooo happy to have found her after pretty much losing faith in "hair experts" after those incidents.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 06:41 PM
My visit itself wasn't a nightmare, but back when I was at knee my stylist took a picture of my hair and put it on their social media and some of the comments were extremely creepy or rude. I've had my fair share of creepy comments in real life but people on FB were over the top and seemed to come out of the woodwork. Hid the post from my feed, unfollowed the page and after that I started self-trimming. No hard feelings against the stylist because she did exactly what I asked for but it just stressed me out a lot.

Wow, talk about taking liberties! Like you were some freakshow being used for their entertainment! :blueeek: I would have had an absolute fit. I doubt that did much to bring her any new business and it may have even sabotaged her current clientele. I mean if I saw a hairstylist and her gang, ridiculing and making negative comments about a client’s hair, I’d dump them in a New York minute. You are very nice but truthfully, once she saw people were being mean, she should have deleted the post. People on Facebook can be brutal. Sorry that happened. :sad Did she even ask your permission to post your picture?

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 06:47 PM
I don't think I've ever had issues with having more cut than I requested... But I've got a couple of things to share nonetheless. :D

The stylist had no clue about how to deal with long hair. She herself had about ear-length hair which she teased a lot. Back then, I asked for some highlights. The colour result itself was not bad at all, I liked it a lot, but when she was washing my hair, all of my lengths were just piled into the sink. What came out of that was a tangled ball, which she proceeded to rip through with a brush, starting from the roots, just ripping happily. I commented on the amount of hair I was losing that I found it worrying, but she chuckled it off. Truth be told, my scalp was also hurting from all the hair pulling.

The next hairdresser I went to was a bit disrespectful. She made fun of the condition of my hair, then proceeded to make it much worse by misusing Olaplex. You're supposed to leave the No.2 in the hair for at least 10-20 minutes, but she spoke of it as a "conditioner" (which it is not) and only left it in my hair for about one minute. Of course I still paid full price for the visit, even though my hair was left in much worse condition than it was meant to be in. On my second visit, I had booked Olaplex again on their website. While she was mixing the bleach, I asked her if Olaplex was in. She would have forgotten it completely had I not asked about it. But that's not all, it was only then that she said they actually don't use Olaplex anymore, but a different brand. I wasn't really okay with that, because I knew that Olaplex was patented and that chances were the other product wasn't going to function the same way, and I had no idea about it, as many of the other "plexes" tend to have very vague explanations on their websites. Unfortunately, back then I didn't know enough about Olaplex to question the way she used it, but later on I gave them a very negative review on Facebook - that was all I could do about it then.

My current hairdresser isn't perfect either, but nonetheless, I am soooo happy to have found her after pretty much losing faith in "hair experts" after those incidents.

Omgosh, this is terrible. It’s like many of them just don’t care at all.

One time a hairdresser was trying to rip through my hair with a brush too...totally oblivious to how hard she was pulling and ripping. I stood up out of the chair and took the brush right out of her hand and proceeded to brush it myself. She didn’t like it one bit but I really didn’t care. I don’t allow anyone to abuse my hair like that. Her own hair was frazzled and fried, so of course she wasn’t going to care for my hair when she obviously didn’t even care about her own.

I treat my hair like it’s a fine lace when I comb it. Very gentle and slow. The truth is that nobody will care for your hair like you will.

Doreen
September 23rd, 2018, 06:48 PM
Wow, talk about taking liberties! Like you were some freakshow being used for their entertainment! :blueeek: I would have had an absolute fit. I doubt that did much to bring her any new business and it may have even sabotaged her current clientele. I mean if I saw a hairstylist and her gang, ridiculing and making negative comments about a client’s hair, I’d dump them in a New York minute. You are very nice but truthfully, once she saw people were being mean, she should have deleted the post. People on Facebook can be brutal. Sorry that happened. :sad Did she even ask your permission to post your picture?

She did ask permission and I said it was fine. The comment that accompanied the picture was very respectful, something like "Here is our client's beautiful well maintained hair. We are happy to cater to all your hair needs no matter the length." The stylist is one of my mother's friends so I know she didn't have any ill intent. Most of the rude comments were from other clients or people who had 'Liked' the page and it came up in their feed. I think the post did get deleted after some very perverted comments. It was just nervewracking because I wanted to defend myself in the comments but also didn't want to expose my identity so I thought an out of sight out of mind approach was best. When my mom went in to get her hair cut later in the month, the stylist apologized for it getting out of hand in the comments.

Editing to add that I live in a small town and the salon is small so it was really surprising and I had no idea how to deal with it. I suspect that someone shared the post to their own page and their friends came in with the comments since the salon page barely had any comments on their other posts.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 07:32 PM
She did ask permission and I said it was fine. The comment that accompanied the picture was very respectful, something like "Here is our client's beautiful well maintained hair. We are happy to cater to all your hair needs no matter the length." The stylist is one of my mother's friends so I know she didn't have any ill intent. Most of the rude comments were from other clients or people who had 'Liked' the page and it came up in their feed. I think the post did get deleted after some very perverted comments. It was just nervewracking because I wanted to defend myself in the comments but also didn't want to expose my identity so I thought an out of sight out of mind approach was best. When my mom went in to get her hair cut later in the month, the stylist apologized for it getting out of hand in the comments.

Editing to add that I live in a small town and the salon is small so it was really surprising and I had no idea how to deal with it. I suspect that someone shared the post to their own page and their friends came in with the comments since the salon page barely had any comments on their other posts.

Ah, ok...thanks for clarifying. :wink: I was gonna say! I guess I just had the wrong impression. I’m so glad it got taken down. That was the right thing to do. Good that she apologized too. I can totally understand how it would have upset you and made you anxious. I would have felt the same way. Glad it turned out ok in the end. :thumbsup:

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 07:35 PM
By the way Doreen, I see from your avatar that you have gorgeous hair. Nobody should be saying anything but wonderful things about it. :smile:

cjk
September 23rd, 2018, 07:35 PM
I've had no negative experiences since going long. But when I wore a short cut, I had quite a few questionable moments at he barbershop.

One barber cut a very good pompadour. Very skillful. The problem was that it was the only haircut he would administer on me. And his goal was for my bangs to be long. There was a running joke in my family that I was going to get my hair not cut.

No matter what he was told, I would walk out with an increasingly long pompadour. The bangs exceeded 11" at one point and went past my chin...after being told I wanted a short cut for summer.

When I changed to a flattop I discovered barber bouncing. An interesting experience. Giving each the same instructions, I would walk out of different shops with wildly different cuts. My least favorite was one which tapered outwards, similar to Kim Jong Un. Extra short and very precisely administered, it was an extremely good cut but very unflattering. My head looked like an upside down triangle.

My second worst was a flattop administered by an elderly barber who messed up in two different ways. First, the deck was not level. It was tilted, sideways, enough to be easily noticeable. And when I got into daylight I noticed that the deck was not flat, either...it looked like he had taken scoops out of the hair. Possibly my worst flat, ever.

Happily I was a good enough barber to fix it. It was super short and not ideally flat, but it looked good when I was done. It needed to be entirely resculpted.

It's a good thing I always enjoyed the barbershop, or I would have gone to self styling years earlier.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 07:42 PM
There was a running joke in my family that I was going to get my hair not cut.

Hahaha...made me chuckle. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

spidermom
September 23rd, 2018, 07:53 PM
I went into a salon impulsively and asked for a haircut that someone had described to me as being particularly suitable for my features. I had no pictures. The stylist was at least 8 months pregnant and looked exhausted. She gave me one of the worst haircuts that I have ever seen. I felt the only way I could fix it was to get an even shorter haircut - a pixie - several days later from a different stylist at a different salon.

Most of my hairstylists have been very good. Maybe I'm scary; no one has ever cut off more hair than I asked for without making the suggestion and getting my agreement.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 08:04 PM
I went into a salon impulsively and asked for a haircut that someone had described to me as being particularly suitable for my features. I had no pictures. The stylist was at least 8 months pregnant and looked exhausted. She gave me one of the worst haircuts that I have ever seen. I felt the only way I could fix it was to get an even shorter haircut - a pixie - several days later from a different stylist at a different salon.

Most of my hairstylists have been very good. Maybe I'm scary; no one has ever cut off more hair than I asked for without making the suggestion and getting my agreement.

Wow! If someone gave me a terrible haircut, to the point where I had to get a pixie cut to fix it, I would be devastated! While I adore pixie cuts on some women, it just doesn’t suit me at all. I would feel like a total stranger.

You’re lucky you have only one bad experience to share. I could write a book! :laugh:

Another time, I went to get my hair permed...a spiral perm at a hair school to save some bucks. This was many years back when I was a teenager. I came out looking like I had hair up to my ears when it was down to the lower part of my back before I went in. Fortunately the curls loosened up over time but I really hated it at first. The curls were way too tight and not the ramen noodle waves I was expecting. :laugh:

Furthermore, nobody gave me a towel to cover my face and eyes while they applied the chemicals and I nearly passed out from the fumes. The supervisor finally came back and gave me a towel to cover my face. It was pretty intense.

Doreen
September 23rd, 2018, 08:10 PM
By the way Doreen, I see from your avatar that you have gorgeous hair. Nobody should be saying anything but wonderful things about it. :smile:

Thanks so much Blondie Locks! I love that photo in your signature. Your bun looks so perfect and sleek!

cjk
September 23rd, 2018, 08:11 PM
a spiral perm at a hair school to save some bucks.

My experience is precisely opposite yours. I mentioned barber bouncing. I went to a barber college as well. When I asked for a flattop the excitement in the room spiked.

A flattop is the ultimate expression of the barbering art. And it is not a style currently taught at barber college, though given their reactions I'm not sure why.

I had the instructor administer the cut while I sat surrounded by a dozen students taking detailed notes. The experience was surreal. But I also got THE best cut I'd ever had.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 08:16 PM
My experience is precisely opposite yours. I mentioned barber bouncing. I went to a barber college as well. When I asked for a flattop the excitement in the room spiked.

A flattop is the ultimate expression of the barbering art. And it is not a style currently taught at barber college, though given their reactions I'm not sure why.

I had the instructor administer the cut while I sat surrounded by a dozen students taking detailed notes. The experience was surreal. But I also got THE best cut I'd ever had.

I’m not surprised. I’ve heard about a lot of great experiences people have had at hair schools.

Hey, it could have been far worse for me. My friend once got a perm at a salon and her hair fell out! :blueeek:

In less than 2 months the curls loosened up and I ended up loving it.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 08:20 PM
Thanks so much Blondie Locks! I love that photo in your signature. Your bun looks so perfect and sleek!

Oh you’re so welcome, Doreen! It looks very thick too. Whoever would make fun of long beautiful thick hair like that, needs their head read! :crazyq:

Thank you about my bun!!! :o

Alex Lou
September 23rd, 2018, 08:52 PM
No real horror stories. Some of them need to think about what they say. It's still in my mind from when I was about 15, a stylist talking down to me, being truly rude, and I was powerless to do anything because I was a kid and my mom had brought me there. Now, as an adult, I would just walk out.

The last stylist I went to for a major cut. And she did exactly as I asked and was super careful to cut only as much as I wanted. But she seemed to have a need to put down my hair as it was before so she could favorably compare to the way she cut it. She said it had been too long and so much better now, and ends were uneven before (by which she meant somewhat fairy-tailed and not blunt). She actually said that she was "shocked" by how long it was when I took it down from my bun and she didn't mean it in a good way. And my hair was only TBL... Lady, I'm glad for the haircut, but I also liked the way my hair was before! There's no need to put it down.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 09:07 PM
No real horror stories. Some of them need to think about what they say. It's still in my mind from when I was about 15, a stylist talking down to me, being truly rude, and I was powerless to do anything because I was a kid and my mom had brought me there. Now, as an adult, I would just walk out.

The last stylist I went to for a major cut. And she did exactly as I asked and was super careful to cut only as much as I wanted. But she seemed to have a need to put down my hair as it was before so she could favorably compare to the way she cut it. She said it had been too long and so much better now, and ends were uneven before (by which she meant somewhat fairy-tailed and not blunt). Lady, I'm glad for the haircut, but I also liked the way my hair was before! There's no need to put it down.

Yeah, like what’s up with that! They think because you’re sitting in their chair, that they now have the right to say whatever they want about your hair, as though it somehow belonged to them.

Has anyone noticed too...of course their are exceptions...that many hair stylists have terrible hair? I’m talking fried, frazzled and badly over-processed? I mean they are hairdressers. Shouldn’t they have the most gorgeous hair of all? Makes no sense to me. Their hair kind of advertises them as stylists and what does it say when you’re meeting them for the first time and their hair looks worse than a bad Halloween wig? :silly:

Alex Lou
September 23rd, 2018, 09:12 PM
Yeah, like what’s up with that! They think because you’re sitting in their chair, that they now have the right to say whatever they want about your hair, as though it somehow belonged to them.

Has anyone noticed too...of course their are exceptions...that many hair stylists have terrible hair? I’m talking fried, frazzled and badly over-processed? I mean they are hairdressers. Shouldn’t they have the most gorgeous hair of all? Makes no sense to me. Their hair kind of advertises them as stylists and what does it say when you’re meeting them for the first time and their hair looks worse than a bad Halloween wig? :laugh:
I think it's an occupational hazard. They have access to other stylists, all the bleach, tools, chemicals. They seem to get their hair styled, cut, and dyed frequently. Another comment I get is what good condition my hair is in. Yes, in comparison to the stylists and people who frequent salons, my hair is in very good condition. Even when my hair was in the worst condition of my life, I got that comment.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 09:20 PM
I think it's an occupational hazard. They have access to other stylists, all the bleach, tools, chemicals. They seem to get their hair styled, cut, and dyed frequently. Another comment I get is what good condition my hair is in. Yes, in comparison to the stylists and people who frequent salons, my hair is in very good condition. Even when my hair was in the worst condition of my life, I got that comment.

Yup, I’ve heard that occupational hazard excuse from them before....but then why do they go on and on, preaching about taking better care of your hair, coming in for regular trims and not using too much heat....when their own hair is completely fried! Talking about how people’s ends are damaged and they need to cut off 5 inches...when they’re standing there with hair that looks like a broom! :rollin:

Lady Stardust
September 24th, 2018, 01:57 AM
I've had no negative experiences since going long. But when I wore a short cut, I had quite a few questionable moments at he barbershop.

One barber cut a very good pompadour. Very skillful. The problem was that it was the only haircut he would administer on me. And his goal was for my bangs to be long. There was a running joke in my family that I was going to get my hair not cut.

No matter what he was told, I would walk out with an increasingly long pompadour. The bangs exceeded 11" at one point and went past my chin...after being told I wanted a short cut for summer.

When I changed to a flattop I discovered barber bouncing. An interesting experience. Giving each the same instructions, I would walk out of different shops with wildly different cuts. My least favorite was one which tapered outwards, similar to Kim Jong Un. Extra short and very precisely administered, it was an extremely good cut but very unflattering. My head looked like an upside down triangle.

My second worst was a flattop administered by an elderly barber who messed up in two different ways. First, the deck was not level. It was tilted, sideways, enough to be easily noticeable. And when I got into daylight I noticed that the deck was not flat, either...it looked like he had taken scoops out of the hair. Possibly my worst flat, ever.

Happily I was a good enough barber to fix it. It was super short and not ideally flat, but it looked good when I was done. It needed to be entirely resculpted.

It's a good thing I always enjoyed the barbershop, or I would have gone to self styling years earlier.

I’m in awe whenever I see a good flattop, because of the precision of the cut but also the precision of the styling, not a hair out of place. I find myself just staring :)

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 05:46 AM
There's been so many threads on this so far, and I have told this story, consequently, a million times.

When I was about to graduate it was 1989-1990 and I was going for a nice cut for graduation. I had BSL hair at the time. I got a student (but they didn't tell me), and she layered up my hair, I hadn't asked that of her, like a typical 80s cut, including the bangs, while I asked for a bit off, but a blunt cut with sort of one layer (opgeknipt as they call it here (Dutch word for a tiny bit layered just at the very bottom)). Maybe she misunderstood, I don't see how, but I had to call the manager. She fixed it into a blunt cut, into a between ear / chin length bob, more ear than anything else, with bangs that were übershort (half the forehead or thereabouts).

When my mom came and picked me up from this appointment - I still remember her expression vividly, nothing but shock. And I was about to graduate!!!

Yeah. That happened. I had been cutting my hair since age 15, but wanted a nice "treat"; boy did that turn out differently than I'd hoped.

leayellena
September 24th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Me and my mom went to hairdresser every year because my hair "is too heavy and I shed too much, I may go bald". My mom went every year to hairdresser more than 30 years in a row. I - 23. I swear I learned from lhc about my hair in a year th in a half a year more than a hairdresser learns about hair in a lifetime experience. I barely heard there's hair mask. How does that bottle look? No knowledge no answer nothing. The first time I ever heard of conditioner, oil and leave-ins is the first time I found lhc. In a half a year I have so much knowledge about hair in general I could write an encyclopedia. My mom has 3b curly hair but she blow dries it, combs it with a styling comb for bangs and chemically dyes it. How in God's name the hairstylist still dyes her 3 curls left on her whole head is beyond me. She keeps her hair in a short curly pixie and it look voluminous but her ponytail circ. is definitely beyond 2"! Hell I'll stop. Too much words to describe how horrible and unnatural are those "natural looks". Modern people don't know the difference between true natural state of hair and natural "look". I mean it "looks" like this, but it's not!

cjk
September 24th, 2018, 07:49 AM
I’m in awe whenever I see a good flattop, because of the precision of the cut but also the precision of the styling, not a hair out of place. I find myself just staring :)

I know, right? It's one of the things that appealed to me! And if you've ever petted a flat, the transition between the stubble and the velvet is...intoxicating.

The reason I switched hairdos was unfortunate. It was after medication caused a bald spot. The landing strip hid the bald spot in plain sight.

My hair grew back afterwards but the texture and density had changed. Still good but not like it once was.

Sora Rose
September 24th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I don't believe I have ever gone to a hair salon in my life - my mother has always trimmed/cut my hair, and the only time I was given an opportunity to go, I refused - but my mom went a few times to get 'a style', as she called it. She used to keep a long-ish pixie, and was constantly told her hair was too short to do anything with, and consequently usually only got a trim into a 'style' she didn't like. I have no real stories, but I remember her complaining once that they got the sides cut unevenly somehow. It did look strange until she evened them out herself, but I still wonder how they could mess up on such short hair.

She's been cutting her own hair for years now.

Blondie Locks
September 24th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Some stories here don’t sound too horrible. I mean they’re bad enough but you should read some of the stories on YouTube! Stories that made me cringe and some even made me cry! I don’t mean to minimize anyone’s experiences here though. They are not pleasant, that’s for sure. Nobody wants to have someone do something to their hair, that they didn’t ask for or approve. I found sometimes in the past with hairdressers, the more I explained, the more they seemed to get it wrong. Lol. You would think it would be the oppposite.

I have a friend whose hair fell out at a salon from getting a perm....not all of it but most of it. She was absolutely devastated and I had to comfort and support her for weeks. It was awful. :sad

I have another friend who had her hair bleached years ago but the hairstylist was busy running back and forth from client to client. She just had way too much going on and couldn’t keep up. The bleach was left on far too long and her hair was like straw when it finally got rinsed off. It didn’t fall out but it was a step away and she had so much breakage over the following weeks, that she ended up getting a short pixie cut because the damage was too great. Before this happened, her hair was to the middle of her back. I felt so bad for her. The thing too, is they made her sign some type of waiver beforehand, so she couldn’t sue her. I think she would have.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 11:27 AM
About ten years ago, I went to my hairdresser whom I'd been going to for a few years. For context, the first time I went to see him he cut my hair into a long bob and I had been growing it out since. He was a good hairdresser but for some reason that day he was visibly exasperated. My hair was between BSL and Waist length and I told him that I just wanted a trim/dusting. He yanked through my hair with a brunch (i'm a curly so this was truly horrible) and tried to convince me to go short since it was summer and he thought i'd be warm (eyeroll). He didn't mess up my hair or anything other than being unnecessarily rough (in my opinion) but he made me feel ashamed for having long hair. He didn't want to style it, he wanted to put some product in it and send me out the door because he said it would take a long time to blow out (it wasn't even THAT long).

Earlier this year I cut my hair up above my collar bone but before then I would still have a little anxiety going into any hair appointment because I didn't want my hair to be a nuisance to my hairdresser. I'd also feel guilty and way over tip even if my service was subpar.

One of my goals is to be able to trim my own hair eventually! But right now it's still a little too short so I'm going to wait until it's around APL which will probably be in 2-3 months.

The-Young-Maid
September 25th, 2018, 11:57 AM
2013. I hadn't trimmed my hair in about 2 years. I was classic length. I'd been going to the same hairdresser since I was little. I asked for 2 inches but my mom and the hairdresser had decided to take off more without telling me. I lost a good 6 inches maybe more idk but I was lower back/waist again. She criticized my hair while cutting. I cried for a day. Mom was annoyed and told me its just hair. I never went back. I've been making my mom trim it at home ever since. I now experience anxiety when I get a trim and I still harbor resentment toward everyone involved.
Why can't hairdressers do what they're told? I'm paying and the hair is attached to my head. I have to see it everyday not you.

LittleOgre
September 25th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I personally haven't had a bad experience but I do know of a friend very pretty lady with very thick long hair. She went to an african braid shop to get her roots done. She had a perm which is an extremely damaging process to straighten out curly hair like 4c hair but her hair was very long, past her butt and I suspect it was because since her was sooo thick. She could literally lose half her head and it would still look like so much hair. So basically the African lady left the relaxer on her hair way to long... her head was burning but she was to shy to actually say anything. Just to let you guys know.. relaxers has lye in so all of her hair literally fell out from the root. She had burns and everything. She made this whole video. It creeped me out so much. and the sad part is it burned her head so bad. She can't grow it back. It is all gone and I am still wondering why she didn't file a law suit against that african lady.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 03:00 PM
About ten years ago, I went to my hairdresser whom I'd been going to for a few years. For context, the first time I went to see him he cut my hair into a long bob and I had been growing it out since. He was a good hairdresser but for some reason that day he was visibly exasperated. My hair was between BSL and Waist length and I told him that I just wanted a trim/dusting. He yanked through my hair with a brunch (i'm a curly so this was truly horrible) and tried to convince me to go short since it was summer and he thought i'd be warm (eyeroll). He didn't mess up my hair or anything other than being unnecessarily rough (in my opinion) but he made me feel ashamed for having long hair. He didn't want to style it, he wanted to put some product in it and send me out the door because he said it would take a long time to blow out (it wasn't even THAT long).

Earlier this year I cut my hair up above my collar bone but before then I would still have a little anxiety going into any hair appointment because I didn't want my hair to be a nuisance to my hairdresser. I'd also feel guilty and way over tip even if my service was subpar.

One of my goals is to be able to trim my own hair eventually! But right now it's still a little too short so I'm going to wait until it's around APL which will probably be in 2-3 months.

Wow! Just wow! I’m absolutely flabbergasted at how he treated you...saying it would take too long to blow out and sending you out the door! Man, the things I would have said to that guy, if that were me!

Don’t let anyone ever shame you for wanting long hair. I honestly don’t know who these people think they are but they know NOTHING about good customer service or even common courtesy.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Why can't hairdressers do what they're told?

The million dollar question I’ve been trying to answer for over 20 years! :laugh:

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I personally haven't had a bad experience but I do know of a friend very pretty lady with very thick long hair. She went to an african braid shop to get her roots done. She had a perm which is an extremely damaging process to straighten out curly hair like 4c hair but her hair was very long, past her butt and I suspect it was because since her was sooo thick. She could literally lose half her head and it would still look like so much hair. So basically the African lady left the relaxer on her hair way to long... her head was burning but she was to shy to actually say anything. Just to let you guys know.. relaxers has lye in so all of her hair literally fell out from the root. She had burns and everything. She made this whole video. It creeped me out so much. and the sad part is it burned her head so bad. She can't grow it back. It is all gone and I am still wondering why she didn't file a law suit against that african lady.

OMGosh, the poor woman must have been devastated!! :blueeek: That sounds like a worse story than what happened to my friends!!!

How do these things even happen? I thought these people were supposed to be professionals!

If that were me, I would have been in a lawyer’s office that same day! She should not have gotten away with something like that. I mean, burning her head?! :disbelief Wow!

lithostoic
September 25th, 2018, 03:40 PM
When I was 12 or 13 I got highlights. Stylist insisted on using the cap method. I asked if it would hurt and she said no. An hour later she was finally finished pulling all my hair through and I was in tears.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 04:01 PM
When I was 12 or 13 I got highlights. Stylist insisted on using the cap method. I asked if it would hurt and she said no. An hour later she was finally finished pulling all my hair through and I was in tears.

Ouch!! :blueeek: Many are not very gentle at all. It’s like they think they’re doing a mannequin’s hair instead of a real person.

lithostoic
September 25th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Yeah I don't even go anymore because they treat my hair like it's a wig or something. Real hair attached to real people needs gentle detangling not ripping with a comb.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Yeah I don't even go anymore because they treat my hair like it's a wig or something. Real hair attached to real people needs gentle detangling not ripping with a comb.

Exactly!

It’s just mind boggling. Hairstylists, of all people, should know how much breakage, all that ripping causes.

Natalia_A00
September 25th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I never had a super catastrophic experience at the salon, but I hate going there anyway. I understand you, I HATE it when you tell them to cut only the ends and they cut half of your mane! I just don't trust hairdressers anymore. They never listen to me, it doesn't matter if I change the stylist, they always do the same. I think I'm going to learn how to trim my hair myself. But I hope I don't ruin my hair and the cure turns out to be worse than the disease! :rolleyes:

Natalia_A00
September 25th, 2018, 04:46 PM
I also feel that some of them (not every single one of course!) don't really know how to take care of healthy hair properly

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 05:01 PM
I never had a super catastrophic experience at the salon, but I hate going there anyway. I understand you, I HATE it when you tell them to cut only the ends and they cut half of your mane! I just don't trust hairdressers anymore. They never listen to me, it doesn't matter if I change the stylist, they always do the same. I think I'm going to learn how to trim my hair myself. But I hope I don't ruin my hair and the cure turns out to be worse than the disease! :rolleyes:

I also feel that some of them (not every single one of course!) don't really know how to take care of healthy hair properly.

I couldn’t agree more, about how many stylists don’t know how to care for healthy hair. It’s frustrating.

I also agree that switching stylists, rarely makes a difference either. Been there, done all that.

I doubt that you trimming your own hair will be unsuccessful. Just don’t cut until you’re absolutely sure. Maybe even get a friend to help and guide you. Nobody will care for your hair more than you will. There are also a lot of YouTube videos that will teach and guide you as well. I suggest starting with small amounts because you can always take off more later but you can’t put any back.

I am so glad to be free of the nail-biting-anxiety of going to stylists. It’s a comforting feeling. I always know exactly what to expect when I trim my own hair. :scissors:

Abacus
April 18th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Wanted to revive this thread! My salon experiences have pretty much guaranteed that I won't ever step foot in one again. Would love to hear all your stories too.

This is mine: I was wearing pixie cuts happily for years. One time I went platinum blond on top. it looked great and grew out to a little afro, and the blond sort of turned into frosted tips at the end of each curl. But it was only on the top, where the bleach had been. I went to the salon and asked for them to do frosted tips on the rest of my hair to make it all match. And she bleached my whole head bright orange to the root, with lots of damage. My curl pattern died, my hair was like straw, and it was orange orange. I felt so betrayed!

I went back and got it toned, but the damage was disheartening. I stuck with my hair growth journey, but after a year and a half I was still so unhappy with it every day. So I went to a salon to get another pixie. This time I shelled out and went to a curly hair salon. They wouldn't mess up my hair, right? RIGHT? Sadly it looked awful. She definitely tried, but it was uneven and nerdy looking and just really really bad. They took a picture of it for their social media but never posted it....because it looked bad.

Anyway, that was the last time. Curly hair salons are wildly expensive, and I'm never paying that much to cry ever again. I can cry for free anytime I want.

Bat
April 18th, 2022, 03:56 PM
I once got split dye and they put me under a hooded dryer and left bleach on me for an hour. While my hair handled it ok my scalp didn't for a week afterwards I had severe scabbing like part of my scalp had lifted off, I almost considered going to a doctor but I wasn't in any pain. I left it and it eventually came right.

So if a salon makes you sign a disclaimer form don't go through with it, it isn't worth it.

_Melly_
April 21st, 2022, 10:20 AM
That is awful Abacus!!

_Melly_
April 21st, 2022, 10:21 AM
Omg Bat, signing a disclaimer is so sketchy! your poor scalp!

Pouncequick
April 27th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Mine isn't too awful and I've probably shared it elsewhere. I went into a hair salon in 2017 after not having a trim in 3-4 years. The woman asked when my last trim was and when I answered she made the most disgusted face. She spent the whole time she was working on my hair basically scolding me like I was five years old for not trimming my hair often enough. She ended up only cutting off about 5 inches after all of her griping that she'd have to "cut it all off". That's a fair amount but at the time I wanted roughly waist length hair and I didn't want to go to the salon often. I ended up with hair a bit past waist, some face framing layers, and a wicked headache from how rough she was with that blessed fine tooth comb.

I continued to get roughly yearly haircuts for a couple years after that until the pandemic hit about 8 months after my last one. With some practice I've figured out how to trim my own hair and I don't think I'll ever go back. No matter how nice I have never had a single beautician treat my hair gently aside from one nice lady at JC Penny's who did my hair for prom. She warned me she might end up pulling my hair when I told her my scalp was tender. She never pulled it hard and the style lasted two days.

elaina
April 28th, 2022, 02:50 PM
I once got split dye and they put me under a hooded dryer and left bleach on me for an hour. While my hair handled it ok my scalp didn't for a week afterwards I had severe scabbing like part of my scalp had lifted off, I almost considered going to a doctor but I wasn't in any pain. I left it and it eventually came right.

So if a salon makes you sign a disclaimer form don't go through with it, it isn't worth it.

oh my gosh bat! i recently watched a video about a similar situation where a woman was SCALPED by bleach, really scary stuff. im glad youre okay now.

Kathie
April 28th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Once I was getting bleach foils and my usual hairdresser was away sick. Her replacement was nice enough... but as she was washing the bleach out she forgot to condition. I thought to myself she must know what's best, she might of used a special bleach or shampoo.

The rest of the visit was an ordeal as she tried to style my straw like hair. As I was leaving I could see other hairdressers looking at my hair in confusion.

I didn't say anything... but this was a learning experience that taught me I should question things.

Glitch
April 29th, 2022, 02:30 AM
Almost all of my salon experiences have ended with me in tears later when alone ;) but the worst was the time I had my black hair bleached to platinum blonde in one sitting. It never recovered. The look on the hair stylist's face was priceless, too - "Well, it's not, like bad...". LOL. On the bright side, it's what triggered me to take matters into my own hands in terms of my hair!

Once I was getting bleach foils and my usual hairdresser was away sick. Her replacement was nice enough... but as she was washing the bleach out she forgot to condition. I thought to myself she must know what's best, she might of used a special bleach or shampoo.

The rest of the visit was an ordeal as she tried to style my straw like hair. As I was leaving I could see other hairdressers looking at my hair in confusion.

I didn't say anything... but this was a learning experience that taught me I should question things.

Oh my gosh, this is both horrifying and hilarious. Very relatable. I'm glad that in the end it all resulted in a great learning experience, though!

Glitch
April 29th, 2022, 02:32 AM
Sorry for the double post!

Bluecardigan
October 1st, 2022, 07:35 AM
Last weekend I went to the hairdresser with my 3yo for the 1st time, to trim a little of her damaged ends (that's left from when she was a baby) In a spur-of-the-moment I decided to have a little trim myself, since I have had only a small trim in the last two years.

I both told and showed the hairdresser how much I wanted her to cut off (circa 3,5 cm). I also said that I know my ends are damaged, but was specific about her not trimming more than I wished for, 'cause I wanted to slowly over time trim/dusting the damage on my ends.
It turned out, she cut of more than 10 centimeters. At least. I didn't notice until it was to late, and now I feel like such a fool! I guess I was lulled into the false security of never have experienced this before- all other hair dressers I have visited before (many!) have always listened to my wishes. And I should have asked her to show me how much she was about to cut before she started, I know that's on me but I guess I just was to trusting. And I also realised when I came home that the left side was uneven and longer than my right side!

I know it's "just hair" and that it will grow back, but I'm still feeling sad on the inside. I have lost minimum one year of hair growth.
Before the cut, I had started to get the "wow your hair has gotten so long!" comments from people, and my hair was the longest it has ever been, between waist and hip. Now it's BSL or maybe not even that much. I'm turning 30 in two months and was looking forward to go into my 30's with (outside of LHC) flowing long red hair, sigh.
Sorry for the long complaining/ranting, but I needed to get this of my chest🌻

tuanyiji
October 1st, 2022, 07:48 AM
@Bluecardigan I'm so sorry to hear that, it must be really devastating and you're totally justified to feel angry and sad. It's not just hair, it's YOUR hair and that hairdresser is no longer trustworthy.

Bluecardigan
October 4th, 2022, 11:33 AM
Thank you for your kind words, tuanyiji!:flower: My bf said I should have gone back and demand my money back or let her fix the uneven-ness, but nope! I'm never gonna go back there again.

rosenester
October 4th, 2022, 05:21 PM
shudder:I don’t like hearing about that, bluecardigan! :( If only it was at least even, you could just focus on your fresh ends and enjoy them! :doh: this has never happened to me, I only go to salons when I want to chop off a lot on purpose. Good luck growing back, hopefully the shorter side will grow faster!! :flower:

Whirly Girly
October 4th, 2022, 11:30 PM
Waaaay too many to list! The worst though, was when a hairdresser actually got angry about how long my hair was and even angrier when I said I only came for a 1 inch trim. He made an obnoxious comment saying “who the hell keeps their hair this long anyway?”. I told him “me” and left. Needless to say, the dumb twit never saw me again. :laugh:

Another time, this wasn’t actually a salon visit but I was walking by a salon inside of a mall, when a woman came running out of the salon after me, shouting “excuse me, excuse me!”. I was wearing my hair in a fancy side braid I had learned to do from youtube.

She asked me which salon did my hair and when I told her I did it myself, she looked at me with disbelief. I told her I had learned from youtube and that’s when the conversation took a turn for the worse. She got really upset and said that youtube was taking business away from salons and that she went to school for years and paid big money to learn what youtube is teaching for free. :blueeek:

It sounded ridiculous to me and I told her to get a grip and walked away, because at this point she was angry and acting like I had nerve to be learning how to do a hairstyle myself without paying to go to school! I mean, are you kidding me? :bs:

I couldn’t believe her reaction to my hair…weirdest and most outrageous yet. :crazyq:

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2022, 04:02 AM
I had a horrible experience at a salon, my hair wasn't super long, about waist length and I went in wanting a small trim. The lady washed my hair in the sink - roughly, piling it all in there, taking no care whatsoever, and of course my fine hair tangles up like nobody's business. After trying to detangle it for a while she said "I'm sorry, it's much too tangled, there's nothing I can do, I'll have to cut it up to your shoulders." I was absolutely furious of course and I told them there was no way they were going to cut it all off and that they could jolly well detangle it. So for the next several hours, that's what they did. In the process they pulled nearly half of it right out of my head. I walked out without paying...

Since then, when I have wanted a small trim, or anything done at a salon, I wash it myself at home and arrive with it damp and detangle it myself there so it's ready for them. Though now that I am on LHC I just do my own trims, which pleases me very much!

GoatLady
October 13th, 2022, 10:33 PM
I have been growing my hair out from a chin length bob since the start of the pandemic. Last fall I decided it was time to get a proper trim. I made an appt. at our local beauty parlor, here in my VERY small town. I'd had my hair cut there before, by the owner, and she did a good job. This time they put me with the "new" gal, Bonnie. Bonnie was older than me.... and I'm 63. So, while she was new to this shop, she assured me she'd been cutting hair for many years. Something about her bugged me but I thought, "it's just a trim. All she has to do is make it even. Easy, right?" She washed my hair and plunked me down in the chair. "So, you want it about here?", she asked while grabbing my hair up by my chin. "NO!!! All I want is a TRIM. You just need to even up the ends." She started cutting, while running her mouth 90 miles per hour. I made sure she wasn't cutting too much off. She finished and I paid her. I get home and that's when I saw it. The right side was noticeably longer than the left. Ugh! She had one, simple job. That whole visit was a waste of time and money. I got on YouTube, found a video on how to trim my own hair, and did a nicer job than she did.... for FREE!

Flossiebell
October 14th, 2022, 03:05 AM
I have a couple of instances that spring to mind…..

I went to one place (big chain) with long wavy, highlighted layered hair and left with a sleek chin length bob and the receptionist was horrible when I left by saying look everyone (to other clients etc) doesn’t her hair look nice, you should have seen her when she came in here! I just scuttled out mortified.

Years later I went to my local salon and wanted my grown out layers cutting into one length, probably bsl length. The hairdresser complained about me having layers in the first place and then washed my hair and then while wet started ripping a fine tooth comb through my hair from the roots, a lot of my hair broke off leaving me with 1 inch stubs in places and she was laughing and waving the comb full of long ripped out hair in my face. I was devastated. A week later I made an appt elsewhere and they cut it shorter in a shattered shag style which I kept for a couple of years to grow out the shorter bits.

There are other stories but they are the ones that really stick out. I’m wary of going to a hairdresser now- it’s rare. people say that I need to pamper and treat myself but I’ve yet to have that kind of experience. I just don’t trust/like them

lapushka
October 14th, 2022, 09:13 AM
I have a couple of instances that spring to mind…..

I went to one place (big chain) with long wavy, highlighted layered hair and left with a sleek chin length bob and the receptionist was horrible when I left by saying look everyone (to other clients etc) doesn’t her hair look nice, you should have seen her when she came in here! I just scuttled out mortified.

Years later I went to my local salon and wanted my grown out layers cutting into one length, probably bsl length. The hairdresser complained about me having layers in the first place and then washed my hair and then while wet started ripping a fine tooth comb through my hair from the roots, a lot of my hair broke off leaving me with 1 inch stubs in places and she was laughing and waving the comb full of long ripped out hair in my face. I was devastated. A week later I made an appt elsewhere and they cut it shorter in a shattered shag style which I kept for a couple of years to grow out the shorter bits.

There are other stories but they are the ones that really stick out. I’m wary of going to a hairdresser now- it’s rare. people say that I need to pamper and treat myself but I’ve yet to have that kind of experience. I just don’t trust/like them

This is going to sound, "duh", but take someone with you next time you should feel like going. They will not even dare mess up what you ask for, unless they are way past caring.

Whirly Girly
October 16th, 2022, 02:25 PM
People gotta stop being so nice and stand up for themselves. I wouldn’t let things go even half as far with these hairdressers that some people have. Stand up and walk out. Sometimes you don’t always know they are screwing up until it’s too late…I get that and have been through it myself….but no frigging way would I let someone be ripping a comb through my hair! I seriously think I would clock someone if they tried that on me. Us women need to stop being so darn nice and stand up and say “hell to the NO!” :laugh: For real though.

I’m reading a book right now called 12 rules for life and rule #2 is “Treat Yourself Like Someone You Are Responsible For Helping”. You’re darn-tootin-right! Stop being so nice and letting these hairdressers screw with YOUR hair. Some of these stories have me livid and I wish I could contact these hairdressers you guys dealt with, and say “who the heck do you think you are, anyway?”. Seriously though.

I hate to stereotype or put them all in the same basket, but I’m far from being a fan of hairdressers (aka hair assassins). I have experienced them as almost always never doing what I asked for.

One guy hairdresser I saw a few times, was a prime example of this. I specifically told him repeatedly that I don’t like the V-shape and wanted the bottom of my hair to just be a straight line across. Told him over and over, “don’t cut my hair in a V-shape”. But what did he do the last time I went for a trim? Three guesses.

I flipped completely out and told him off. Like why would he DO exactly what I said NOT to do?! :crazyq: Shaking my head. I left without paying. I was beyond angry. He never saw me (or my V-shaped hair) again. What a jerk. In fact, that was my very last time going to ANY hairdresser ever….years ago now. Good riddance. :waving:

So yeah, I’ve had more than my share of bad interactions with hair wreckers. So happy I will never have to deal with them ever again. Buh bye forever, to these scissor-happy savages. :laugh:

chayahskye
October 21st, 2022, 11:21 AM
I'm naturally a dishwater blonde and was going to a salon to have a little blonde color put in to brighten the shade. I went to a very large and reputable salon so it never occurred to me that something would go wrong. She put the bleach on and then left..........and didn't come back.......after 40 minutes, I started asking around about where she went and when she would rinse me. And kept asking. An hour after she put the bleach in she came back, rinsed me, and my hair was platinum. The next day it started falling out. I had to buzz my hair with #3 clippers. That was in 2005. I've never been back to a salon again. I learned to cut my own hair, color with henna/indigo, and haven't used heat or chemicals on my hair since.

GoatLady
October 21st, 2022, 01:10 PM
I'm naturally a dishwater blonde and was going to a salon to have a little blonde color put in to brighten the shade. I went to a very large and reputable salon so it never occurred to me that something would go wrong. She put the bleach on and then left..........and didn't come back.......after 40 minutes, I started asking around about where she went and when she would rinse me. And kept asking. An hour after she put the bleach in she came back, rinsed me, and my hair was platinum. The next day it started falling out. I had to buzz my hair with #3 clippers. That was in 2005. I've never been back to a salon again. I learned to cut my own hair, color with henna/indigo, and haven't used heat or chemicals on my hair since.

That's criminal. I think I would've had to sue.

lapushka
October 21st, 2022, 02:45 PM

Yeah, that is severely neglectful... to say the least! My goodness! :(

Whirly Girly
October 21st, 2022, 09:54 PM

OMGOSH! :blueeek: :blueeek: :blueeek:

I’m with GoatLady on this one…although they might have been the ones suing me….for assault… and arson. :laugh:

GoatLady
October 21st, 2022, 10:13 PM
I’m with GoatLady on this one…although they might have been the ones suing me….for assault… and arson. :laugh:

Ha ha! I admit my first thought was a bit more violent. But I don't want to go to prison. :eyebrows:

Yeahnah
October 22nd, 2022, 02:25 PM
I am still upset by this! I had a chin length pixie over 3 years ago and have been steadily growing it out. I get trims every 6 months or so. I went into a new hair dressers and since my hair was mid back, I asked for a layered cut because I have very thick curly hair. I loved the cut! I also got it balayaged at this appointment which was so so. Because of the bleach I started to get split ends more, which I knew and accepted when I got the colour.

After about 3 months, I went back in for a trim. the dude gave me the WORST CUT. it was a different person and he was a senior stylist so I thought he would be great. but no.... he's done a v shape hem when I never had that to begin with, layered the hell out of it and took heaps off. the bit I hate the most is the centre of my cut where its one long piece of the v shape. the last maybe 2 inches of my hair are SO THIN because of the intense layering. even when it was straightened it looked thin and when it's curly it's absolutely ridiculous. Just this spindly rats tail at the back. I spent so long growing this out and I'm really sad this happened, I've been thinking ill need correct it over the next 3 or so trims where they take a bit off the ends each time to thicken it up. I'm having surgery in a few days so my hair will fall out over the next couple of months and the ends will look even worse.

Any tips on supplements I can take to strengthen hair while I go through a big post op shed?