PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts About Using Heat On Your Hair?

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 04:55 PM
Who else uses heat on their hair or who has stopped using it altogether...and what has been your experience? Love to read all about it. :)

I stopped using heat on my hair on April 20th, 2018. So it’s been 5 months!! Omgosh, I never thought I would see the day! I’m talking no flat irons, no blow dryers, no curling irons, no sun damage...not even hot showers! Nothing. Nada. Zilch!

I decided that I finally needed to stop fighting my hair and trying to turn it into something that it just didn’t want to be. I needed to embrace my waves....and LOVE them. :heart:

I have naturally wavy, sort of loose S-shaped waves, but I used to straighten my hair every few days with an infrared iron. Although my hair was always healthy for the most part, it just seemed like it wasn’t getting any longer than my waist. Seemed like it was always staying at the same length. I couldn’t figure it out for the longest time...but then the penny dropped. It was heat!!! :blueeek:

Of course I know it WAS growing but the breakage at the ends was causing it to stay the same length. My ends, which are the oldest part of the hair, just couldn’t take the heat. I was finding all kinds of 2-3 inch hairs around my place and on my clothing. That was the breakage.

Since I’ve stopped using heat, I’m no longer finding snapped off little hairs and my hair has grown 3 inches!!! I know it will just keep getting longer and longer now that I’ve given up the heat...just like it used to before I started ironing.

I cant wait to see how much longer it’s going to grow, over time. It’s kind of exciting. Plus too, when I see my hair in it’s natural state now...for the life of me, I can’t figure out why I ever wanted to change it. I love it! :heartbeat

Please share your thoughts and experiences about heat on your hair. :wink:

Note: no judgment from me, if you are using heat on your hair. None at all. I used it for years. I’m just curious about your thoughts and experiences and I wanted to share mine. :thumbsup:

*Wednesday*
September 23rd, 2018, 05:02 PM
I stopped using heat Jan. 2017 when I started the no trim challenges. I used to use a curling iron 2-3 times a week with random hot air blow drying. Now I use sponge or wet sets when I want to curl and air dry.

I've had great length retention and was great benefit to my ends. I'll never go back to heat.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2018, 05:10 PM
I was all precious about my hair the first time I grew it out to classic length - no heat, no color, no fun. In spite of this, I was constantly fighting with split ends and other types of damage. Eventually I cut it all the way back to shoulder.

I'm growing it out again, but this time I'm going to do what I want to do. If it limits my growth potential, so be it. I'm done with trying to ignore when my hair looks like crap. It's not about what other people think, it's about what I think. I want to make it look good to my own eye.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 05:12 PM
I stopped using heat Jan. 2017 when I started the no trim challenges. I used to use a curling iron 2-3 times a week with random hot air blow drying. Now I use sponge or wet sets when I want to curl and air dry.

I've had great length retention and was great benefit to my ends. I'll never go back to heat.

Good for you, *Wednesday*. Me either. I will never go back. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. :wink:

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 05:17 PM
I was all precious about my hair the first time I grew it out to classic length - no heat, no color, no fun. In spite of this, I was constantly fighting with split ends and other types of damage. Eventually I cut it all the way back to shoulder.

I'm growing it out again, but this time I'm going to do what I want to do. If it limits my growth potential, so be it. I'm done with trying to ignore when my hair looks like crap. It's not about what other people think, it's about what I think. I want to make it look good to my own eye.

Nothing wrong with that at all, spidermom....and good for you, for not caring about what other people think. Hey, it’s your hair and you should do what you want with it. Whatever makes you happy....not other people. It’s really none of anyone’s business anyway, what anyone else does with their hair. :wink: I totally respect and get what you’re saying. :thumbsup:

Ylva
September 23rd, 2018, 05:19 PM
I stopped blowdrying my hair maybe... seven years ago? I don't know, but it was many years ago. I didn't stop for the sake of my hair though, but because I just couldn't bother.

These days, my hairdresser blows my hair dry when I see her every two months. Other than that, I've blowdried my own hair once this year, and that was on the morning of my grandmother's funeral. My hair hadn't dried enough while I slept and it was a cool, rainy day, so it would have been too unpleasant and cold to go with damp hair.

Needless to say, I never heat-style my hair in terms of straightening or curling it. I'm just too lazy for any such thing.

MotherofPhoenix
September 23rd, 2018, 05:24 PM
I quit using the blow dryer which is huge for me. I will occassionally use the flat iron but only on my ends. I used to color my hair so my ends are very frizzy. I imagine once all of the color is cut off i can quit. I try to limit my use; maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Reducing heat has made a huge difference. I went almost two months no heat and my hair was so healthy. However, I really like dressing up professionally at work and for myself.

Hopefully i can make the change soon. I have only about two inches of bleached hair left. So... Maybe by the end of the year?

lithostoic
September 23rd, 2018, 05:30 PM
Haven't done it in years. Damaged the crap out of my hair.

MoonRabbit
September 23rd, 2018, 05:42 PM
I was a chronic heat abuser for years and I would blow dry, and curl it with a straighter every single day. Because of that, I could never get my hair past mbl. When I decided to start my hair journey I knew I had to give it up cold turkey. I stopped using heat September 2015 and it was the best decision I ever made. My hair is the longest it has ever been in my life and I can actually let it air dry and still look good instead of a frizzy fried mess.

Though I am no opposed to using heat again. I am all for doing it occasionally, I just never felt the need to yet and the fact I would actually have to go out and purchase new heat tools to do it lol. I do miss having straight hair days, and I get the hankering to have that no frizz polished look but I am still growing out the damage I put on it before.

Doreen
September 23rd, 2018, 06:00 PM
No heat on my length since January 2014, but I curled my bangs for the last time sometime in 2015 (bangs now grown out but that section of hair is still very damaged). If I ever get bangs again I'll probably go back to curling them a couple times a month.

JennGalt
September 23rd, 2018, 06:23 PM
As I child I was bullied, and my hair texture was a favorite topic among bullies. Then I discovered flatirons as a teen. I used to use 450 F heat on my hair almost daily to straighten it. If I used heat too much lower than that my hair would begin to curl up again within an hour or so. My hair broke off around SL-APL, and I thought that was my terminal length. (Still longer than I was able to get it while using sulfates, but I digress.)

Then one day when I was 28, after daily heat straightening for about half my life, I was running really late to a career-ralated class and ran out the door with my hair in a bun, hoping no one would notice. People noticed, and I cringed. But this time, nobody said anything rude. It was weird. But nice to know I could skip the flatiron if I didn’t feel like putting in the effort. I began flatironing less and less. Several years later, after the worst of the heat damage was gone, I woke up with WL hair and no idea what to do with it since I’d never had hair that long before. Cue frantic googling, which led me to LHC. I learned more about what the flatiron was actually doing to my hair. I’ve not used a flatiron at all since late October 2017.

I still use a blow dryer on the warm setting (cooler than a summer breeze) if I have to wash on a humid day since a couple sections simply won’t dry near my scalp unless it’s hot and arid out. These days I use coconut milk and henna to straighten my hair, and also to correct porosity issues. I still have my flatiron, but I’m not sure what sort of special occasion would cause me to use it again. For now, it continues to gather dust.

GrowlingCupcake
September 23rd, 2018, 06:44 PM
I've never used heat consistently. The last time I used it was for my wedding (curling iron + blow dryer), and before that for the one "full" hair cut I had in the past eight years (flat iron). I've never owned a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron so no heat damage has been pretty easy for me. Most of my damage comes from mechanical methods + hair dye. Even when I used to get my hair cut fairly regularly (every few months), they rarely blow dried it as I didn't go the whole shampoo route; I don't like people touching my hair/head. I rarely go out in the sun, so sun damage is probably minimal; hard to tell really since the sun has never bleached my hair, and that would be the only way for me to keep track of how much sun my hair is getting.

I've been thinking of getting a blow dryer to use on the cold setting since winter is coming, and I don't want to go out with wet hair. I usually use a fan for that, but something more directed might be nice.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 06:57 PM
As I child I was bullied, and my hair texture was a favorite topic among bullies. Then I discovered flatirons as a teen. I used to use 450 F heat on my hair almost daily to straighten it. If I used heat too much lower than that my hair would begin to curl up again within an hour or so. My hair broke off around SL-APL, and I thought that was my terminal length. (Still longer than I was able to get it while using sulfates, but I digress.)

Then one day when I was 28, after daily heat straightening for about half my life, I was running really late to a career-ralated class and ran out the door with my hair in a bun, hoping no one would notice. People noticed, and I cringed. But this time, nobody said anything rude. It was weird. But nice to know I could skip the flatiron if I didn’t feel like putting in the effort. I began flatironing less and less. Several years later, after the worst of the heat damage was gone, I woke up with WL hair and no idea what to do with it since I’d never had hair that long before. Cue frantic googling, which led me to LHC. I learned more about what the flatiron was actually doing to my hair. I’ve not used a flatiron at all since late October 2017.

I still use a blow dryer on the warm setting (cooler than a summer breeze) if I have to wash on a humid day since a couple sections simply won’t dry near my scalp unless it’s hot and arid out. These days I use coconut milk and henna to straighten my hair, and also to correct porosity issues. I still have my flatiron, but I’m not sure what sort of special occasion would cause me to use it again. For now, it continues to gather dust.

So Sorry you got bullied about your hair. How awful. That must have been very hurtful. :sad

I’ve actually read quite a few stories about people getting bullied over their hair, mostly black ladies when they were kids. Many of them tried to hide their beautiful hair and manipulate the texture...all because of the hurtful things people had said to them. I think it’s great when they reach a point in their lives when they stop caring about what other people think and they begin to let their natural, beautiful and unique hair shine. :)

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 07:26 PM
I stopped blowdrying my hair maybe... seven years ago? I don't know, but it was many years ago. I didn't stop for the sake of my hair though, but because I just couldn't bother.

These days, my hairdresser blows my hair dry when I see her every two months. Other than that, I've blowdried my own hair once this year, and that was on the morning of my grandmother's funeral. My hair hadn't dried enough while I slept and it was a cool, rainy day, so it would have been too unpleasant and cold to go with damp hair.

Needless to say, I never heat-style my hair in terms of straightening or curling it. I'm just too lazy for any such thing.

It used to take me forever to iron my hair...you just reminded me. So nice to have more time for other things.

Originally posted by MotherofPheonix:

I quit using the blow dryer which is huge for me. I will occassionally use the flat iron but only on my ends. I used to color my hair so my ends are very frizzy. I imagine once all of the color is cut off i can quit. I try to limit my use; maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Reducing heat has made a huge difference. I went almost two months no heat and my hair was so healthy. However, I really like dressing up professionally at work and for myself.

Hopefully i can make the change soon. I have only about two inches of bleached hair left. So... Maybe by the end of the year?

Great, that you’re almost rid of all your bleached hair! Your hair will be so much more healthy now!

Originally posted by lithostoic:

Haven't done it in years. Damaged the crap out of my hair.

Mine too. So glad I stopped.

Originally posted by MoonRabbit

I was a chronic heat abuser for years and I would blow dry, and curl it with a straighter every single day. Because of that, I could never get my hair past mbl. When I decided to start my hair journey I knew I had to give it up cold turkey. I stopped using heat September 2015 and it was the best decision I ever made. My hair is the longest it has ever been in my life and I can actually let it air dry and still look good instead of a frizzy fried mess.

Though I am no opposed to using heat again. I am all for doing it occasionally, I just never felt the need to yet and the fact I would actually have to go out and purchase new heat tools to do it lol. I do miss having straight hair days, and I get the hankering to have that no frizz polished look but I am still growing out the damage I put on it before.

Maybe sometime in the future, for a special occasion, I may flat iron it for a treat...but I’m all done with doing it every time I wash my hair. I want to take a good 2 years off from heat though, before I may do it once in a blue moon...like for a wedding or something. I don’t need a flat iron to make my hair look beautiful.

Originally posted by Doreen

No heat on my length since January 2014, but I curled my bangs for the last time sometime in 2015 (bangs now grown out but that section of hair is still very damaged). If I ever get bangs again I'll probably go back to curling them a couple times a month.

Wow, so you’ve been without heat for a few years now. Awesome! :thumbsup:

Dark40
September 23rd, 2018, 07:50 PM
I still use heat on my hair but only to a very low minimal though. I only blow-dry for 5 minutes on low heat 2 or 3 times a week, and I very rarely use a flat-iron. I only flat-iron once or twice a month for special occasions. Overall, I don't have any issues with breakage or damage.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 08:27 PM
I still use heat on my hair but only to a very low minimal though. I only blow-dry for 5 minutes on low heat 2 or 3 times a week, and I very rarely use a flat-iron. I only flat-iron once or twice a month for special occasions. Overall, I don't have any issues with breakage or damage.

Excellent!! :thumbsup:

AutobotsAttack
September 23rd, 2018, 09:06 PM
I give myself heat passes. Usually 2-3 a year. Because I still like to straighten my hair.

When my hair was at ear-chin length and even shoulder length I would constantly straighten it.

Straightening, regardless of what I put on to protect my hair, drys it out. Which is why I only wear my hair straight for like a day.

Longlegs
September 23rd, 2018, 09:11 PM
Spidermom , I like your attitude, sometimes following all the rules doesn't work, and it's your hair, no one knows it like you.

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 09:13 PM
I give myself heat passes. Usually 2-3 a year. Because I still like to straighten my hair.

When my hair was at ear-chin length and even shoulder length I would constantly straighten it.

Straightening, regardless of what I put on to protect my hair, drys it out. Which is why I only wear my hair straight for like a day.

2 to 3 times a year is more than reasonable. Your curls are Gorgeous in your avatar!

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 23rd, 2018, 10:42 PM
I use heat occasionally to dry my bangs and roots but im considering buying a diffuser.
I dont see anything wrong with heat, just use it responsibly!

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 10:53 PM
I use heat occasionally to dry my bangs and roots but im considering buying a diffuser.
I dont see anything wrong with heat, just use it responsibly!

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it either...but if overused, it can cause hair breakage. I was not using it responsibly. Lol. I was overusing it and totally relying on it to make my hair look good. I guess it’s like my grandmother always says...”everything in moderation”. For me though, because I was addicted to it, I just want to abstain from it completely for a couple years and maybe longer. We shall see.

AutobotsAttack
September 23rd, 2018, 11:31 PM
2 to 3 times a year is more than reasonable. Your curls are Gorgeous in your avatar!

Aww thanks. They flatten out if it’s even remotely humid lol

Blondie Locks
September 23rd, 2018, 11:46 PM
Aww thanks. They flatten out if it’s even remotely humid lol

Lol. Yup, mugginess is the enemy of hair. I have wavy hair and it turns into a poofy frizz puff with the humidity. :laugh:

Joules
September 24th, 2018, 02:07 AM
When I was in my early to mid teens I used to straighten my hair with a blowdryer and a round brush occasionally, maybe once or twice a month. It was reasonably damaging, but even though I always wanted long hair, I didn't realise just how damaging blowdryers were. I curled my hair with a curling wand maybe once in my life, and straightened it with an iron twice (one of those times I got it straightened in a salon, and I'm pretty sure they did some sort of a treatment on me, because my hair was straight and silky smooth for 3 months afterwards).

When I was 15 (in 2009) I got into hardcore hair care, and it meant ditching all kinds of heat styling altogether. Since then I used heat on my hair only once, on my prom night in June 2011, it was kinda an emergency. I sometimes blowdry my hair on cool setting to make it straighter and less frizzy. For my graduation party in the university I first blowdried my hair on a cool setting with a styling mousse, and then used flexi rods to achieve loose "Hollywood" waves that looked better than most other girls who used heat on their hair :). Also, I'm not counting bangs here, I had straight-across blunt bangs until the age of 20, and I had to flat iron it every day to make it look presentable.

In terms of feeling like my hair isn't fun - well, I don't know that feeling :D I don't want to heat style my hair. I have literally no desire to. Same thing with chemical dyes and bleach. My hair is fun for me, I genuinely enjoy braiding it and taking care of it, I don't like wearing it down. When people tell me "what's the point in having long hair if you never wear it down and style it" I'm always like "what the hell do you mean?". I guess I just have a perfect mentality to be a longhair.

illicitlizard
September 24th, 2018, 02:14 AM
I've never been a big heat user, but I still enjoy it from time to time. Sometimes it's just easier to blow dry my hair than wait for it to air dry. Not to mention experimenting with curling/straightening is fun! I could never master heatless curling methods... I probably blow dry once a week honestly but straightening/curling only happens a few times a year so I reckon the damage is pretty minimal.
I'm sure damage will become a problem once I get some length, especially since I love having my hair down, but that's a problem for future me :)

Blondie Locks
September 24th, 2018, 05:19 PM
I love all the comments and reading the ways people use or don’t use heat in their hair. Sounds like many agree that it causes a lot of damage if overused.

Although I have naturally wavy hair, I try to find ways to define my waves even more. Lately, I’ve become totally addicted to heatless curls. I love using different things, like straws, pipecleaners, pencils, etc. to give various looks. Mermaid waves are my absolute favorite.

Anyone else creating heatless curls?

Garnetgem
September 24th, 2018, 05:39 PM
I haven't used heat on my hair since wait for it november 1996,no dryers no nothing even washing water is warm these days,i did use hair dryers before then but decided to stop and have not missed it either,noticed the thickness travel down after stopping heat the too.

Blondie Locks
September 24th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I haven't used heat on my hair since wait for it november 1996,no dryers no nothing even washing water is warm these days,i did use hair dryers before then but decided to stop and have not missed it either,noticed the thickness travel down after stopping heat the too.

Good for you, Garnetgem! :thumbsup:

Arciela
September 24th, 2018, 08:41 PM
I used to use heat waaaay too much, I had thin, fired hair littered with white dots..I just thought I had not so great hair. Once I joined LHC...I learned that if I wanted healthy hair at its best, I had to give up the heat for sure! It was soo hard because I was used to straight ironing my hair since I never understood about wavy/curly hair..I just thought I had poofy, weird hair that needed the flat iron.

Once I finally stopped cold turkey..about a year after all the damage grew out..I finally saw waves and some ringlets, shine in my hair and it actually looked nice! I could wash it with any shampoo and conditioner and it would come out so nice. I was shocked :lol: Now I don't own any heat tools :flower:

postpixie88
September 24th, 2018, 10:12 PM
I no longer use heat on my hair! I stopped blow drying pretty much out of laziness, and my hair is a little flatter but much shinier and less stiff. I do miss my straightener sometimes, but every time I used it I'd see all these fried pieces floating around and realized I wanted to take better care of my hair! I'm much happier with the condition of my hair after quitting heat, so the trade off of a few bad hair days where I refrain from straightening my hair is worth it! I'm considering getting hot rollers as a way to minimize damage if I want to heat style my hair for an occasion.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Congratulations, you guys!!! Giving up the heat will surely make a difference....especially if you’re tying to grow your hair longer.

I know some people throw away their irons but I kept mine because I paid a bit of money for it. It’s a top of the line infrared crock. I’m keeping it in case I need to use it for a special occasion but I’m taking at least a couple years off first. Someday, I’d like to be able to use it maybe 2-3 times a year. I think I will actually celebrate at the one year mark! :laugh:

paulownia
September 25th, 2018, 12:43 AM
I love all the comments and reading the ways people use or don’t use heat in their hair. Sounds like many agree that it causes a lot of damage if overused.

Although I have naturally wavy hair, I try to find ways to define my waves even more. Lately, I’ve become totally addicted to heatless curls. I love using different things, like straws, pipecleaners, pencils, etc. to give various looks. Mermaid waves are my absolute favorite.

Anyone else creating heatless curls?
I like my hair in it's natural state. Scrunching some gel or mousse in my wet hair and let it air dry.. and looking at the back of my head every 15 minutes with 2 mirrors:p to admire my loose spirals taking shape.
I never used any heat. Tempted to try a blowout a few times - my hair looked like crap afterwards. I had only 2 close encounters with flat iron in my entire life - once a friend talked me into ''ironing'' another time it was at the hairdressers' chair, after the cut. Nothing special, really:D

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 12:57 AM
I like my hair in it's natural state. Scrunching some gel or mousse in my wet hair and let it air dry.. and looking at the back of my head every 15 minutes with 2 mirrors:p to admire my loose spirals taking shape.
I never used any heat. Tempted to try a blowout a few times - my hair looked like crap afterwards. I had only 2 close encounters with flat iron in my entire life - once a friend talked me into ''ironing'' another time it was at the hairdressers' chair, after the cut. Nothing special, really:D

Yeah, I think it was a trend for a few years....having silky, straight, ironed hair that lay flat against your head. Now though, I think people are seeing the price of flat ironing and the trend is starting to lose it’s appeal for many.

Besides that, there was a time when almost everyone had flat ironed hair so you didn’t feel like you stood out at all because everyone had the same thing. I barely ever received any compliments when my hair was flat ironed, but now that I mostly wear it natural, people are always making comments. It really makes me see how mislead I was, with the flat iron trend. I don’t know why I spent 3 to 4 years ironing my hair and thinking it couldn’t look good without it. Makes me cringe now. Oh well. No mistakes in life...only lessons. We live we learn.

Good for you, Paulownia...that you’ve never used much heat. Nothing wrong with blow drying sometimes. My hair dryer has a cool setting but I hardly ever use it. I like just letting my hair air dry.

One thing I have noticed, since I gave up heat, is I use a lot more products now. I tend to have dry frizzy hair so products really tame it and make it more maneageable.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 07:42 AM
I have curly hair and sometimes I just want my hair to look sleek and styled. So I do still use heat. However I ALWAYS make sure I'm using a heat protectant. I wash my hair twice a week and I try to alternate heat styling with washes, i.e. first wash of the week I'll air dry and leave my hair natural styling it in braids/buns etc., second wash of the week I'll let it air dry completely then use a straightener or curling iron to style my hair with a heat protectant. Then I work to make my styled hair last 3-4 days. I also try to avoid heat in other unnecessary ways, like if i'm at the pool or outside all day I'll wear a hat to cover my hair so the sun doesn't damage it and when I wash my hair I try to use warm rather than hot water when washing and I rinse with cold water. Once a week I also do a hair mask alternating oil and protein masks every other week.

My hair is not perfect but it's still shiny and luscious. I think that heat styling can still be okay when it's balanced with the right hair care routine. And when you want to look just a little more put together I think it is worth it.

hennalove
September 25th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Who else uses heat on their hair or who has stopped using it altogether...and what has been your experience? Love to read all about it. :)

I stopped using heat for styling (blow dryer, curling iron, flat iron) in December 2017. I still occasionally use a heat cap for deep conditioning and henna. My experience has been positive. My hair is now at hip length so I'm really protecting the ends. I still have the urge to use a flat iron for special events but am relying on up do styles instead. Overall, I have found going heat free to be less stress :)

hennalove
September 25th, 2018, 08:01 AM

I too have had great length retention but I'm not going to say I will never use heat styling again. I know I won't use heat styling on a regular basis though.

nycelle
September 25th, 2018, 08:23 AM
The last time I used heat was when I had my major cut... so around December of last year.

I know heat is a huge no-no, and if I used a flat iron on a regular basis, I might feel different from what I'm about to say, but on my hair- bleach caused much more damage than blow drying.

I didn't lose length when I only used a drier. My hair grew, my ends were nice, and I didn't have an issue. But I also got regular trims.
Sure my hair was on the dryer side, but it's always on the drier side.

It was when I started highlighting that everything went to hell and I got major breakage. So I'm on the fence about heat. I mean yes, it's going to cause splits, but I have splits no matter what ,and since I'm not opposed to trims, that's not a huge issue for me. Bleach on the other hand is my length killer.

Spar
September 25th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I LOVE using heat! Lol! I know that might be terrible to say, but I use a heat tool of some sort once or twice a week.

My hair is a little longer than waist, and I haven't had any problems with heat damage. However I do A LOT of deep conditioning and oiling.

I deep condition every time I wash, which is two to three times a week. I use Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner for 15mins, then I wash that out and apply my regular silicone conditioner. I wrap my hair in a Turbie Twist for maybe 15ish minutes? Then I put a leave in conditioner or blow-dry primer that detangles and acts as a heat protectant. I proceed with blowdrying using a boar bristle round brush. A blowout on my hair takes 30mins.

I always heat style on the lowest setting. My flat iron goes to 270F and curling iron to 270F. Blow-drier goes on lowest heat, fastest air speed.

I typically flat iron my side-swept bangs almost everyday.

But I do love wearing my hair natural as well! In the summer I like to air dry and my enjoy my gentle waves. :)

lapushka
September 25th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I even used heat on damp (50%) hair. I got white dots up my strands to within an inch of the root! Half of my hair was at several breaking points (white dots). I grew it out to hip, because I for certain didn't want a pixie cut, and so most of those hairs thankfully held on. It takes quite a bit of manipulation to break those hairs off, so that's one thing! You *can* slowly grow the damage out, but it was damage, not gonna lie. Heat isn't without consequences.

Warm/hottish water and blow dryers on warm/cool should be just fine. I use a diffuser weekly, for 5 min. to finish drying my hair, on warm (not burning) and it's fine.

Heat just means hot tools like a straightener or curling iron. That's all. The rest, used *wisely* and with some common sense, should be just fine!

5 months is just the start of the journey. It's like growing out from a shaved head, I'm afraid. Maybe go through your hair sometime and see if you can find those white dots. They are up a strand (not at the end) and cause a sharp edge bend, it's there where you "could" potentially snap it off, but doing that could cause a split end, so don't snap them off, snip them off. And I would just grow them out and microtrim if they are there, TBH. It takes strength to pull them off! So they can quite easily stay on until you grow them out. BTDT!

nikittyy
September 25th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Ugh, I'm having your exact experience. I keep finding small pieces of hair that have snapped off when I brush my hair, put it up, pretty much do anything to it. I know I'm ruining my hair and setting myself back, but it's so hard to stop using heat. I feel addicted to it in a weird way because I don't know how to make my natural waves look good or enhance them and lessen the frizz. I have cut down immensely, I used to blow dry and straighten my hair every single day without heat protectant, and now I use protectant and only straighten it once a week at the most, and always let it air dry. I want to love my natural texture though.

Brittny
September 25th, 2018, 10:26 AM
When I was in high school, around 2014 I used the curling iron like nobody's business! At that time I was experimenting with hair color - using the infamous Manic Panic in 'Hot Pink'. I did not realize how unbelievably damaged my hair was until I realized I wanted to go back to my natural blonde! When I would use the curling iron the ends would be very crunch and tiny hairs would break off - I shudder at the flashback. :shudder: Ever since then I did a big chop and gave all my heat tools to my sister. Cutting out heat tools in my life has been a saving grace for my hair, because now it is the healthiest since I had virgin hair. This experience has also made me do more research and find creative ways to braid my hair if I want certain curls. I recommend it to anyone. :happydance:

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 11:10 AM
When I was in high school, around 2014 I used the curling iron like nobody's business! At that time I was experimenting with hair color - using the infamous Manic Panic in 'Hot Pink'. I did not realize how unbelievably damaged my hair was until I realized I wanted to go back to my natural blonde! When I would use the curling iron the ends would be very crunch and tiny hairs would break off - I shudder at the flashback. :shudder: Ever since then I did a big chop and gave all my heat tools to my sister. Cutting out heat tools in my life has been a saving grace for my hair, because now it is the healthiest since I had virgin hair. This experience has also made me do more research and find creative ways to braid my hair if I want certain curls. I recommend it to anyone. :happydance:

Honestly I wish I could give it up for good because my hair feels so amazing even when I take a month off. But I want to look cute on the weekend! And the braided/no heat styles don't hold for me. My hair just ends up looking really wonky and style-less.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I LOVE using heat! Lol!

Hahaha...your comment made me chuckle. I know what you mean! Hey, at least you’re being honest.

There are times when I too, long for the silky, sleek, frizz-free look...but then I remember my goal.

Fortunately, my hair was not horribly damaged...I never found any of those white dot strands people talk about. I just noticed breakage at the ends. Not anymore. Five months has made a big difference for me and I expect in a couple years, I’ll be much longer than I am now.

Originally posted by nikittyy

Ugh, I'm having your exact experience. I keep finding small pieces of hair that have snapped off when I brush my hair, put it up, pretty much do anything to it. I know I'm ruining my hair and setting myself back, but it's so hard to stop using heat. I feel addicted to it in a weird way because I don't know how to make my natural waves look good or enhance them and lessen the frizz. I have cut down immensely, I used to blow dry and straighten my hair every single day without heat protectant, and now I use protectant and only straighten it once a week at the most, and always let it air dry. I want to love my natural texture

One thing that really helped me to transition from heat to no heat, was braiding. I would make seven braids and I would use pipe cleaners at the ends so I wouldn’t get those spaghetti straight ends when I took the braids out. I would just spiral the ends around pipe cleaners. You literally wake up to perfect hair when you remove the braids. Mermaid waves that are frizz-free and sleek. nikittyy, you may find this helpful. It really makes you have more defined waves and helps to tame the frizz. You can braid freshly washed hair or even dry hair, dampened with a spray bottle.

sophia_
September 25th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Using heat just doesn't work for me- my hair texture is so that no matter how much hairspray and heat I use, it won't stay- it will fall right out. It was the same when I had damaged hair with a presumably open cuticle and used no conditioner- my hair will not be beaten into submission, lol.

Blondie Locks
September 25th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Using heat just doesn't work for me- my hair texture is so that no matter how much hairspray and heat I use, it won't stay- it will fall right out. It was the same when I had damaged hair with a presumably open cuticle and used no conditioner- my hair will not be beaten into submission, lol.

Yup, I have a friend with fine hair and curling iron curls just drop right out of her hair. :laugh:

Ravenne
September 26th, 2018, 08:50 AM
I’ve used a blow dryer every day for years. I shower in the morning and work in an office where a professional look is mandatory, so I just sucked it up and used it. I let it air dry as much as I can first and just knock off the last of the dampness with the dryer beforehand putting it up. So far it hasn’t done major damage, but now that I’m at hip length, and really want to get to classic, I’ve decided to drop the dryer. I French braid my hair for work anyway. Today Is Day 1 of no heat. The braid went up fairly well, but I’ll have to practice smoothing out lumps with damp hair. Hopefully I’ll notice a difference from stopping the heat. My ends are a little dry, but nothing terrible.

Alex Lou
September 26th, 2018, 09:43 AM
When I think about using heat on my hair, I think about a warm blow drier or an iron with the heat set low. I never had any damage when I used to iron my hair all the time.

I just don't have any reason to use heat. My hair gets fairly straight and smooth with some body waves just from silicone conditioner, brushing while wet, and it's own weight. I don't get better results from blow drying or ironing and either one is more time consuming. Sometimes I see women with nicely heat styled large spirals, and I do kind of want that, but I'm not willing to put in the effort.

Blondie Locks
September 26th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I’ve used a blow dryer every day for years. I shower in the morning and work in an office where a professional look is mandatory, so I just sucked it up and used it. I let it air dry as much as I can first and just knock off the last of the dampness with the dryer beforehand putting it up. So far it hasn’t done major damage, but now that I’m at hip length, and really want to get to classic, I’ve decided to drop the dryer. I French braid my hair for work anyway. Today Is Day 1 of no heat. The braid went up fairly well, but I’ll have to practice smoothing out lumps with damp hair. Hopefully I’ll notice a difference from stopping the heat. My ends are a little dry, but nothing terrible.

What about using the cool setting on the hair dryer? I seem to recall reading that even using the cool setting isn’t good either. I can’t imagine why though. Have you heard this?

lapushka
September 26th, 2018, 03:32 PM
What about using the cool setting on the hair dryer? I seem to recall reading that even using the cool setting isn’t good either. I can’t imagine why though. Have you heard this?

I haven't heard this no. Meteor once had an article on air drying being more damaging than a quick blow dry on cool.

As long as you don't feel the blow dryer burning your hand (or a more sensitive part of you), it means it's a good temperature to dry the hair with.

Blondie Locks
September 26th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I haven't heard this no. Meteor once had an article on air drying being more damaging than a quick blow dry on cool.

As long as you don't feel the blow dryer burning your hand (or a more sensitive part of you), it means it's a good temperature to dry the hair with.

I thought as much...that it wasn’t true. I think it was on YouTube but I just can’t remember what the details were. I remember thinking that it sounded kinda silly though.

Maybe through the winter I’ll use my hair dryer with the cool setting...for days that I need a fast dry. I have a diffuser attachment and my hair comes out super wavy when I use it. One thing I don’t like though, is that I have to keep my finger on the cool button to hold it down and it gets sore after awhile. Maybe I can use duct tape to tape it down! :laugh:

Throughout summer, I was just using my floor fan to dry my hair quickly....but most of the time I just air dry.

Natalia_A00
September 26th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I still have hot showers but it's the only "heat" that my hair receives. In general I try to avoid it as much as possible!

Frankenstein
September 26th, 2018, 10:32 PM
I never love my hair more than I do when it’s been flat ironed. But I only do it a handful of times a year, usually when I go to my hairdresser and get a trim. Despite how much I love the effect, I don’t want damage.

Blondie Locks
September 26th, 2018, 10:45 PM
I still have hot showers but it's the only "heat" that my hair receives. In general I try to avoid it as much as possible!

In the past, before my addictive flat ironing days, hot showers never hurt my hair one bit.

Originally posted by Frankenstein

I never love my hair more than I do when it’s been flat ironed.

I know right! All that silky smooth perfect hair that you can’t stop touching. :love:

Ravenne
September 27th, 2018, 05:53 AM

My dryer doesn’t actually have a cool setting. Lol! It’s a little travel dryer so no bells and whistles. Depending on how this experiment goes, maybe I’ll replace it with one that has a cool setting. But if I can get by with one less step in the morning, that would be nice. I think the idea that cool is still damaging comes from the fact that it’s still manipulating the hair and possibly whipping it around. But if you’re gentle, I can’t imagine it would be damaging for most. :)

lapushka
September 27th, 2018, 07:26 AM
I thought as much...that it wasn’t true. I think it was on YouTube but I just can’t remember what the details were. I remember thinking that it sounded kinda silly though.

Maybe through the winter I’ll use my hair dryer with the cool setting...for days that I need a fast dry. I have a diffuser attachment and my hair comes out super wavy when I use it. One thing I don’t like though, is that I have to keep my finger on the cool button to hold it down and it gets sore after awhile. Maybe I can use duct tape to tape it down! :laugh:

Does it get hot on the first "warm" setting, as long as it doesn't burn, it's *fine* to use, you don't have to use cool air (I don't). I weekly diffuse on the warm (nearly burning) setting and my ends are doing fine, and I've been doing this routine for many many years. But, everyone is different, what one head of hair can take another might not be able to. Still, I think it would be just fine! :) Sometimes I use the cool shot when it tends to get a little too warm for my liking and it cools it down some, but really hot... it never gets that way. I have a Braun dryer, and it's an old one. My Babyliss one heats up a lot! It also depends on the dryer you have, whether that warm button is too hot or not!

Blondie Locks
September 27th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Ok great, Ravenne & Lapushka. I remember when I tried it a couple times, blow drying on cool, it took FOREVER to dry my hair. I will give the warm setting a shot. It might be helpful to use in winter, for days I don’t have time to wait 4 hours for my hair to be dry.

lapushka
September 27th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Ok great, Ravenne & Lapushka. I remember when I tried it a couple times, blow drying on cool, it took FOREVER to dry my hair. I will give the warm setting a shot. It might be helpful to use in winter, for days I don’t have time to wait 4 hours for my hair to be dry.

That's why I wash it on a Sunday, it is still considered a "day of rest" in the EU, or most of the EU, and so it is kind of a "lost" day. I wash it mid-morning and then towel dry for 20-30 min., air dry for 2-4H, and then diffuse for 5 min. on warm and then by 3 in the PM it is virtually all dry (the roots for sure are). I also clip it up, including the length, while it is air drying, CG (curly girl) style. But you do you. It is certainly a great idea for winter time to have the dryer on warm, and if it gets too hot, you can always cool it down every few minutes with the cool shot.

Blondie Locks
September 27th, 2018, 02:55 PM
That's why I wash it on a Sunday, it is still considered a "day of rest" in the EU, or most of the EU, and so it is kind of a "lost" day. I wash it mid-morning and then towel dry for 20-30 min., air dry for 2-4H, and then diffuse for 5 min. on warm and then by 3 in the PM it is virtually all dry (the roots for sure are). I also clip it up, including the length, while it is air drying, CG (curly girl) style. But you do you. It is certainly a great idea for winter time to have the dryer on warm, and if it gets too hot, you can always cool it down every few minutes with the cool shot.

Yup, I like to wash mine on the Lord’s day of rest also. It’s just a very relaxing day to do nice things for my hair. Sometimes though, I have to wash it on an off day, if someone invites me somewhere special, for example. The warm hairdryer will be perfect for those days.

Thanks for the great suggestions, Lapushka. :)

Blondie Locks
September 27th, 2018, 02:58 PM
I should mention too, that a couple times a week, most weeks, in between washing, I like to deep condition my hair...usually later into the evenings when I’m home for the night. Sometimes though, I don’t want to stay up and wait for it to dry...so warm blow drying will be very helpful.

lapushka
September 27th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Just watch your hair for a couple of months, and if it's not damaging (and not too warm/hot, it has to be not-burning to the skin), you know you have a way to get your hair dry rather quickly. You're welcome!!!

Dark40
September 27th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Excellent!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Blondie Locks
September 27th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Just watch your hair for a couple of months, and if it's not damaging (and not too warm/hot, it has to be not-burning to the skin), you know you have a way to get your hair dry rather quickly. You're welcome!!!

Ok, I will definitely watch. I’m sure it will be just fine like you said, as this will only be something I might need to do once in awhile.

Originally posted by Dark40

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

You’re welcome! :)

Alibran
September 28th, 2018, 07:09 AM
I've never used heat to style my hair and, last time I grew it long, I swore off the blow dryer as well. It took 12 hours to dry, and wash day was miserable for me with wet hair draped down my back all day. Now, I dry it on low/medium heat for 20 minutes or so, then leave it to air dry the rest of the way. The roots still take several hours to dry completely, but I'm a lot more comfortable and can go about my day without worrying about it.

Blondie Locks
September 28th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I've never used heat to style my hair and, last time I grew it long, I swore off the blow dryer as well. It took 12 hours to dry, and wash day was miserable for me with wet hair draped down my back all day. Now, I dry it on low/medium heat for 20 minutes or so, then leave it to air dry the rest of the way. The roots still take several hours to dry completely, but I'm a lot more comfortable and can go about my day without worrying about it.

I really don’t like wet hair on me, making me cold and uncomfortable because my clothes get all damp. Lately, I’ve been wrapping a huge thick bath towel around my shoulders for my damp hair to lay on while it dries. My clothes don’t get damp anymore. Works very nicely when I want to air dry my hair.

Margarita
September 29th, 2018, 02:23 AM
I was using heat tools fanatically a few years ago because i wanted to achieve straight hair, and i would hate curly hair. Thank God all these stopped now and im happy for caring my curly hair ^_^ Im never using heat again. I got my lesson.
This is a photo of my hair 3 years ago and i was blonde. You just need to see how fried my hair was back then:https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33483&d=1538209193

Aerya
September 29th, 2018, 03:27 AM
I've never used a blowdryer and I suspect that might be part of the reason why my hair could handle all my impulsive dying rather well. I've had periods of frequently using heat tools but not as much as many others do. These days I steer clear of them altogether - well, except today, 'cause it's my birthday and I want to bling up my shorty ponytail with some curls at the end. ^^

I do wash it in warm water though, I know I shouldn't but I live in Norway and am cold enough as it is these days, lol. I'll try to get better at this though. I want my new growth to be as healthy as possible.

2gaits
September 29th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I use heat everyday. Blowdry and touch up with a flat iron. My hair also has color and highlights. I try growing the color out but eventually cave. May do lowlights this time and try it again. My hair is apl and fairly healthy. Maybe a bit dry on the ends. I did turn the heat down on the blowdryer. I also think the longer the hair is the easier it is to put it will in a decent hairstyle and not have to style it as much with heat. I'm still not sure how I could go to work with wet hair every morning. Usually I wash everyday or every other day so I need to dry it somehow especially on cold mornings.

Cg
September 29th, 2018, 11:46 AM
I use a blowdryer every single time I wash, and using very warm setting too, especially in winter. Not for long at a time, but definitely too warm for general LHC approval.

Blondie Locks
September 29th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I've never used a blowdryer and I suspect that might be part of the reason why my hair could handle all my impulsive dying rather well. I've had periods of frequently using heat tools but not as much as many others do. These days I steer clear of them altogether - well, except today, 'cause it's my birthday and I want to bling up my shorty ponytail with some curls at the end. ^^

I do wash it in warm water though, I know I shouldn't but I live in Norway and am cold enough as it is these days, lol. I'll try to get better at this though. I want my new growth to be as healthy as possible.

Happy Birthday, Aerya!!! :joy: Hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy yourself. :)

I was using heat tools fanatically a few years ago because i wanted to achieve straight hair, and i would hate curly hair. Thank God all these stopped now and im happy for caring my curly hair ^_^ Im never using heat again. I got my lesson.
This is a photo of my hair 3 years ago and i was blonde. You just need to see how fried my hair was back then:https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33483&d=1538209193

Good for you, Margarita! I’m sure your hair will be in much better condition over time, as you refrain from heat usage.

I use heat everyday. Blowdry and touch up with a flat iron. My hair also has color and highlights. I try growing the color out but eventually cave. May do lowlights this time and try it again. My hair is apl and fairly healthy. Maybe a bit dry on the ends. I did turn the heat down on the blowdryer. I also think the longer the hair is the easier it is to put it will in a decent hairstyle and not have to style it as much with heat. I'm still not sure how I could go to work with wet hair every morning. Usually I wash everyday or every other day so I need to dry it somehow especially on cold mornings.

Growing hair out and having to deal with 2 different colors, would be frustrating, I would think. What about colouring your hair one last time....to your natural color? Then at least your hair would be even and you won’t have to deal with roots while you’re trying to grow it a bit longer. Just a suggestion. :o

I use a blowdryer every single time I wash, and using very warm setting too, especially in winter. Not for long at a time, but definitely too warm for general LHC approval.

Winter hair is really tough to deal with. Nobody wants to go out with a damp head and sometimes, let’s face it, things come up and you don’t always have time to wait for it to air dry. For me, I’m not gonna use the dryer every single time I wash because I like to wash my hair when I have some time to relax around my house while it air dries...but for those days when I just can’t wait, the hair dryer on cool or warm setting, will be great.

Milkchocolate
October 1st, 2018, 09:52 PM
I often use a hair straightener with no problems whatsoever. I’ve been doing for years and my hair is in great condition. I always make sure to use a protectant. Silicone products act as a great protectant from heat. But I also make sure to have it moisturized with some oils. The worst thing I could do is straighten it if it’s dry and brittle. Moisture is key! ❤️
Limiting straightening is a good idea too. I only straighten on weekends when I go out and try to look nice so it works out just fine :)

PS
I also think that blow drying affects my hair more than a straightener. I know it sounds weird but something about hot air makes my hair feel horrible. so if I have the ability to avoid it I definitely do

Corvana
October 2nd, 2018, 12:38 AM
I'm really lazy, so I only use my blow dryer if I really want my hair dry and it won't air dry in time. Like for my most recent length shot! If I'd let it dry naturally, I would've had to wait like 7 to 8 hours and by then my husband would've been going to bed and I would've had to do it myself!

Before yesterday, the last time I used my blow dryer (and this is all on low or cool, by the way!) was for my last length shot in July! And then in April... And January maybe?

My ends are in bad shape, but they have been since before I even bought my blow dryer. I started growing out with less care and I was wearing my hair down all the time until I was nearly APL because it was either too short or I just didn't think about it! I did curl it a couple times with a curler, but it took so long to do even with a bob that I ended up opting for rag curls more. So there may be a touch more heat damage on the last few inches.

With my haircare now, I doubt my quarterly + rare occasions like family gatherings maybe (although freshly washed hair is a slippery wily jerk, so that's unlikely lol) use of low heat will really do anything. And I think at some point it will need to be more regular as my scalp doesn't like to stay wet, and as my hair grows it will likely (maybe?) take longer and longer to dry.

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it lol.

littlestarface
October 2nd, 2018, 12:44 AM
Nope never, I dont like how heat styled hair looks always damaged and smells like fried hair. Plus I would hate damage from such devices and i'm so friggin lazy.

JennyLue
October 4th, 2018, 10:19 AM
My hair would never grow past the middle of my back until I quit using heat.
I now use no heat (haven’t used heat for 5 years probably) and my hair is to the middle of my butt.

Cg
October 4th, 2018, 10:57 AM

I've always washed my hair in quite warm water although I do rinse in cool. My hair has been at knee several times (I only cut it due to the weight) so clearly warm water washing and blowdrying aren't universal recipes for problems.

It isn't useful to slavishly follow every piece of advice others give. If your hair does fine in warm wash, enjoy it.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 06:47 PM
I’m against it. I don’t want any stylist working in my hair nor do I want my curls loosened in any manner. I would be devastated if I got heat damage.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 06:50 PM
I only use heat when I am in a hurry, such as if I washed my hair that morning, and need to blow dry it so I can leave the house, at the most once a month. Or very rare occasions I might use a curling iron, such as holidays.

hinabelle
April 25th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Never again! I need to appreciate my natural texture. :)

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 01:17 AM
I use heat on my hair sometimes. I just style my bangs with a flatiron if I don't have time for washing and styling and sometimes I blow-dry my roots with cool setting, that's about it.

Orca
April 26th, 2019, 02:35 AM
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with heat. When I was a teenager I discovered straighteners and quickly became addicted to them, not realising how unkind I was being to my fine hair. I used to blow dry and straighten every other day then wonder why my hair wouldn’t grow past shoulder length (d’oh).

Now, like Growinit, I only really use the blow dryer when I’m in a hurry. I do find, though, that blow drying gives my fine hair more volume, but it’s getting to the length now where I don’t feel like that matters so much.

Does anyone else find that their hair goes frizzy sometimes unless they blow dry? Is there a way to combat this without heat? I’d love to hear your tips.

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Well I use a diffuser weekly. I don't have heat damage whatsoever. But I know what to do, and what not to do.

A blow dryer is "technically" considered heat, but it is a tool that can be used or misused, IMO. Compare it to a hot tool and that is pretty much something bad for the hair. A blow dryer isn't bad off the bat.

If you keep the temperature cool or warm (never the top button) then I think it's OK. My motto here is "as long as the temperature doesn't burn the skin, it should be OK for your hair". So keep it lower than that and you should be good to go!

I towel dry for 30-45 min., then I air dry for 2-4H, and then all that needs to still happen is a "quick" diffuse for about 5 min. and my hair is as good as dry (dry at the roots anyhow). I've always done it like this and it somehow works for me.

You can "use" heat to your advantage, but that doesn't go for a straightener or curling iron.

ETA/ My hair takes 8+H to fully airdry, and the roots need to be dry within a day due to SD, seborrheic dermatitis. So I have my reasons to use a blow dryer.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 27th, 2019, 06:03 AM
The only heat tool I use on my hair is a blow drier on warm setting, on wash day in cold weather. Even then i don't dry it completely, only until it's 90% dry. Then I braid it to get braid waves for the next day.

MadelineMomo
April 27th, 2019, 09:00 AM
If my friend asked me to be in her wedding and she wanted (for example) everyone's hair done the same way, I think I would make a one-time allowance for that and let her use heat. Anything short of that, no.

LadyCelestina
April 27th, 2019, 09:23 AM
I occassionally use a blowdrier or a diffuser on the cooler settings.

Other than that, I see hot appliances as similar to using dye on your hair: depending on how you use it, it can be more or less damaging. But it will always leave permanent damage, even if you don't see a change in how your hair behaves right away.

Given that it takes just one application of dye or one (not very skilled) application of direct heat to make my ends turn to sh!te at a longer length, I'm not risking it :)

milosmomma
April 27th, 2019, 12:29 PM
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with heat. When I was a teenager I discovered straighteners and quickly became addicted to them, not realising how unkind I was being to my fine hair. I used to blow dry and straighten every other day then wonder why my hair wouldn’t grow past shoulder length (d’oh).

Now, like Growinit, I only really use the blow dryer when I’m in a hurry. I do find, though, that blow drying gives my fine hair more volume, but it’s getting to the length now where I don’t feel like that matters so much.

Does anyone else find that their hair goes frizzy sometimes unless they blow dry? Is there a way to combat this without heat? I’d love to hear your tips.

I notice I'm always pretty frizzy right after wash day, while its damp and right after it dries. It calms down over night and is always normal the day after washing though. I never use heat on my hair this round of growing. My hair is virgin from dye, bleach and heat(all of which I ruined my hair with last round of growing)

LittleHealthy
April 27th, 2019, 02:30 PM
I’ve only ever used heat about 3 times in my life, al by other people for special occasion curls. Don’t own a hairdrier. With my ends still having bleach on them, I just know if I were to use a straightening or curling tool on them it would fry them to no return. My hair is dead straight, I guess that’s why I never felt the need for heat tools. Sometimes I’d wear braid waves but usually any sort of ‘curl’ would drop and be gone within an hour anyway!

ArabellaRose
April 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM
I've been heat free since October last year (used my hairdryer a couple of times in a pinch but only on cool setting).

That is until a couple of weeks ago, where I did a "one time can't hurt" for a cosplay.

Well, yeah, turns out it hurt my hair MASSIVELY, so that's me getting rid of my old heat tools to remove temptation.

MadelineMomo
April 29th, 2019, 12:04 AM
I just found my old hair straightener again!! I'm so excited: I can use it to iron shirt collars without the hassle of setting up an ironing board.

lapushka
April 29th, 2019, 03:23 PM
I just found my old hair straightener again!! I'm so excited: I can use it to iron shirt collars without the hassle of setting up an ironing board.

What about the rest of the shirt? :p

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2019, 04:37 PM
I gave up my hot air curling brush when I was chin length and joined LHC.
The Curly Girl Method helped me define my wurls for a natural look.
I still use a warm-cool hair dryer on my scalp.
Occasionally I think about the air brush again for fast curls and more volume but I am petrified the round brush will become a tangle horror show on my fine wispy silver :tmi:
So I damp bun or apply serum/bum for bun wurls; just an hour will do it....or braid waves.
I still have the brush and would use it again on shorter lengths or if I cut fringe in again; it never saw it as damaging to my hair back then, but would be vigilant and use it infrequently because my texture has changed to a more fragile state.
I haven't used straighteners or irons in many years and would never do it again.

lilyawad
April 29th, 2019, 05:47 PM

I stopped using heat on my hair on April 20th, 2018. So it’s been 5 months!! Omgosh, I never thought I would see the day! I’m talking no flat irons, no blow dryers, no curling irons, no sun damage...not even hot showers! Nothing. Nada. Zilch!

I decided that I finally needed to stop fighting my hair and trying to turn it into something that it just didn’t want to be. I needed to embrace my waves....and LOVE them. :heart:

I have naturally wavy, sort of loose S-shaped waves, but I used to straighten my hair every few days with an infrared iron. Although my hair was always healthy for the most part, it just seemed like it wasn’t getting any longer than my waist. Seemed like it was always staying at the same length. I couldn’t figure it out for the longest time...but then the penny dropped. It was heat!!! :blueeek:

Of course I know it WAS growing but the breakage at the ends was causing it to stay the same length. My ends, which are the oldest part of the hair, just couldn’t take the heat. I was finding all kinds of 2-3 inch hairs around my place and on my clothing. That was the breakage.

Since I’ve stopped using heat, I’m no longer finding snapped off little hairs and my hair has grown 3 inches!!! I know it will just keep getting longer and longer now that I’ve given up the heat...just like it used to before I started ironing.

I cant wait to see how much longer it’s going to grow, over time. It’s kind of exciting. Plus too, when I see my hair in it’s natural state now...for the life of me, I can’t figure out why I ever wanted to change it. I love it! :heartbeat

Please share your thoughts and experiences about heat on your hair. :wink:

Note: no judgment from me, if you are using heat on your hair. None at all. I used it for years. I’m just curious about your thoughts and experiences and I wanted to share mine. :thumbsup:

Our stories sound similar. I’m from the Caribbean and for some reason us girls there don’t appreciate our natural curly pattern. My mom has been straightening my hair ever since I was in 2nd grade. I learned to do it myself when I was 13. EVERY SINGLE DAY I would straighten my hair for school because I felt ugly with my natural hair. I dyed it blonde and a few years later it just burnt and had to cut it to a pixie. It never ever grew past my shoulder for all those years because I kept straightening it. 😪 I still to this day at my 21 years old have shoulder length hair thanks to flat irons and hair dyes!

Strwberryfields
April 29th, 2019, 07:24 PM
Ive decided to give it up for the most part. I haven’t sworn it off. But my goal is to use it extremely sparingly. I enjoy doing different looks so I’m not sure I could swear it off for good. I think it dries my hair to smithereens. I typically won’t blow dry my hair if I’m going to curl or straighten it. It’s too much for my hair to handle. It’s too dry from years and years of color damage. I’m on the journey to virgin hair (about 20 days in) haha! And only a few days into skipping heat tools.
Not

blackgothicdoll
May 2nd, 2019, 05:50 AM
Back in 2017 and prior, I blow dried and flat-ironed my hair every other week. When, in 2014, I dropped heat to once a month and sometimes less, I was able to get past shoulder, but then I cut to a pixie. After growing it back and using heat again, I would get stuck around collarbone.

Now, I'm weaning off heat completely. Last year I used a flat iron 6 times I believe, and I've used it twice this year. I'm not planning on using it again, but my limit is 4 times for this year, two for next, one for the following an then never again. I do use a blow dryer, but I use it on cool, which is usually still warm but I can hold it against my skin for awhile with no discomfort so it is not a damaging temperature.

I realized that my hair in 2014 could get so straight, but my hair now is massive and thick. At first I disliked this, but it is because my hair was so damaged back then, and now my hair is finally healthy (though not free of heat damage, to be transparent). I have a lot of straight pieces from before I gave up heat.

So I think low heat is not bad at all, it's actually good for my scalp that hates behind wet for a long time. But the flat iron is going away, proof is in the pudding.

Caribbean_girl
May 30th, 2019, 11:52 PM
After 8 years of flat ironing my hair LITERALLY EVERYDAY because I was ashamed of my curls all I can say is that I feel happy to be finally free. All of those years of heat & dye damage caused my hair to never grow past my shoulder, it was always dry and thin. At that time I did not care how my hair looked I only cared about my hair being straight. I even felt embarrassed leaving the house with my natural hair... 4 months ago I decided it was enough. How was it possible for me to have the same length and hair look from 8 years ago?!? 😳 I immediately got rid of my heating tools and it’s the best thing I ever did. My hair is still recovering and I’m on my journey to loving my natural curls. ❤️

elise.autumn
July 5th, 2019, 01:40 PM
I didn't grow up air drying my hair and have probably used heat just 10-20 times during my entire life I have also never straightened my hair. Since the length of my hair has never had heat, I keep this up and haven't caved to straghtening it, even though people ask me sometimes and I think it would probably look cool.

Mariekeeee14
July 11th, 2019, 09:06 AM
In my life my hair has seen blow drying action maybe... 20 times? (26 years old) And the last couple of times it was done by my trusted hairdresser so I made her use heat protectant. I’ve never straightened it and I got it curled once with heat for a dance recital when I was 10 years old. I remember the fried feeling, and that it took too long to blow dry it myself. Laziness, benign neglect, it works:D