PDA

View Full Version : Hairdressers don't know anything - and I mean it - about long hair

leayellena
September 23rd, 2018, 04:54 AM
So next time before you go to hairdressers and come back crying because of a botched haircut watch this
https://youtu.be/OMfF2I3mfFQ

Equestrianchic
September 23rd, 2018, 05:20 AM
Wow, when she was separating that woman's hair with her foot����
No thank you

Stray_mind
September 23rd, 2018, 05:34 AM
Lmao... That's what stylists do.. they Cut. And if they can't Cut they are helpless. :D

TreesOfEternity
September 23rd, 2018, 05:37 AM
No thank you

That was one of the most unprofessional things I’ve seen in my whole life... who is going to hire that person in their salon after that? Horrible

ravenskey
September 23rd, 2018, 05:55 AM
This is horrible. No other way to say it shudder:

MotherofPhoenix
September 23rd, 2018, 06:24 AM
Lol what did i just watch. The one girl who knotted and teased the hair into a mess. LOL

lapushka
September 23rd, 2018, 08:32 AM
I kind of stopped watching after the ladies were seated. I don't have to watch to know how terrible this is to a hairdresser and how helpless it makes them... and desperate.

Zesty
September 23rd, 2018, 09:02 AM
Those ladies are pretty brave to let someone go nuts on their hair. shudder: Though I do appreciate that they weren't allowed to cut any length -- that always makes me sad.

I don't like hating on stylists but clearly they were not well-equipped. It does just take different techniques. I'm the opposite of these stylists -- I don't know how to make updos on short hair, but I know how to handle *my* hair to get a pretty side bun or what have you. With more length you can work with the entire hair at once (like making a rope braid and then bunning it, to give one example from my own arsenal) rather than working with itsy bitsy sections the way so many of them were trying to do. That seems to just create a mess when your hair is several feet long.

nycelle
September 23rd, 2018, 09:22 AM
The worst part of the video was the one that separated the hair with her foot. The rest was fine.

In their defense, they don't exactly teach you how to handle 64" hair in school. Definitely something you learn as you go, and if you don't have clients with hair that long.. you're never gonna learn what to do.

Joules
September 23rd, 2018, 09:26 AM
I guess that's why they always cut more hair than they're asked to, and that's where all the comments about hair being "too long" come from. They just don't know what else to do.

Seeing the people who are supposed to know what to do with hair panic when they see it is actually very very sad.

Shanazel
September 23rd, 2018, 11:18 AM
I have been fortunate in my stylist and so have stayed with him for years. A couple years back, we agreed that I would wash and comb out my hair at home to avoid piling my hair up in a sink made for shorter tresses. Bless his heart, he never has become proficient at combing the tangles out of really long hair. He takes a few bucks off the haircut and is able to spend extra time braiding my hair and trimming my hair. My only complaint about this fine person is that he occasionally doesn't get my bangs short enough to allow me to get through eight weeks without lopping them off a couple times myself. He likes messing with my hair and had to take photos the day that his client with the longest hair (me) had an appointment directly following his client with the shortest hair (a delightful lady about my own age).

Beatnik Guy
September 23rd, 2018, 11:40 AM
:rolleyes:

_fred_
September 23rd, 2018, 02:01 PM
I have been fortunate in my stylist and so have stayed with him for years. A couple years back, we agreed that I would wash and comb out my hair at home to avoid piling my hair up in a sink made for shorter tresses. Bless his heart, he never has become proficient at combing the tangles out of really long hair. He takes a few bucks off the haircut and is able to spend extra time braiding my hair and trimming my hair. My only complaint about this fine person is that he occasionally doesn't get my bangs short enough to allow me to get through eight weeks without lopping them off a couple times myself. He likes messing with my hair and had to take photos the day that his client with the longest hair (me) had an appointment directly following his client with the shortest hair (a delightful lady about my own age).

That's so sweet! He sounds like a really good find, and a really sensible person. No wonder you still go back to him.

As for the video, oh wow O_o

Alex Lou
September 23rd, 2018, 02:33 PM
Those shows play up the drama. If there were any comments from the stylists saying they liked long hair or they felt comfortable styling it, they would have not included those clips in the show because it's not drama. Them being asked to create complicated hairstyles that should take more than an hour in only one hour is part of the drama and probably why the one stylist resorted to using her foot.

GrowlingCupcake
September 23rd, 2018, 04:38 PM
When they revealed how long their models' hair was, and everyone gasped, I was going "But most of them aren't even that long!"

I've been on the LHC too long xD Anything shorter than classic is just "long but not that long".

*Wednesday*
September 23rd, 2018, 05:22 PM
Retro hair dressers. Anything past waist is the frontier.

lunalocks
September 23rd, 2018, 06:34 PM
I have been lucky. The past 2 stylists did exactly as I wished. One, also with hip length hair, taught me how to S and D, wash only in lukewarm water and never use a hair dryer. For 3 years she only trimmed 1/4 inch and this was how I got to waist with extremely healthy hair. The other who is a curly hair guru (she considered mine straight) and owns an Aveda salon, also did exactly as I wished, even if she did not agree. At least 5 years, now, have gone by with me trimming on my own, or, more likely, just letting it grow. There ARE stylists out there who will listen to you but it appears they are few and far between.

pailin
September 23rd, 2018, 08:14 PM
I understand them having trouble with 64 inch hair, and that stylist got a very different task from the others. But really, a bunch of them got bsl-waist hair. That's not exactly an uncommon length; they ought to have no problem with that.
I agree with the person above who pointed out how much sectioning they were doing; they didn't have strategies for making use of the length. They needed strategies for styles that require length.

Jo Ann
September 23rd, 2018, 09:21 PM
Jaclyn Smith (of "Charlie's Angels" fame) looked AWESOME!!

*Wednesday*
September 23rd, 2018, 09:46 PM
....But really, a bunch of them got bsl-waist hair. That's not exactly an uncommon length; they ought to have no problem with that....

I saw a few shortest HIP -TBL. These particular stylist probably aren't that acquainted with styling hair in intricate updos to begin with.They were told no ponytails, braids or buns which people would be inclined to do with styling hair at those lengths. I'm not a hairdresser but I wouldn't doubt these people are just used to the normal traffic of people coming in to get a haircut, color and a blowout.

leayellena
September 24th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Those shows play up the drama. If there were any comments from the stylists saying they liked long hair or they felt comfortable styling it, they would have not included those clips in the show because it's not drama. Them being asked to create complicated hairstyles that should take more than an hour in only one hour is part of the drama and probably why the one stylist resorted to using her foot.

Ohja? How does Andrea 691 style her floor length hair? And I mean she's doing it herself. These hairdressers were heaving a lot of space behind them go move way back. Normal hands can't go as far as a person standing behind the other one when styling hair. No, true unprofessionalism is real.

leayellena
September 24th, 2018, 07:21 AM

I have been lucky. The past 2 stylists did exactly as I wished. One, also with hip length hair, taught me how to S and D, wash only in lukewarm water and never use a hair dryer. For 3 years she only trimmed 1/4 inch and this was how I got to waist with extremely healthy hair. The other who is a curly hair guru (she considered mine straight) and owns an Aveda salon, also did exactly as I wished, even if she did not agree. At least 5 years, now, have gone by with me trimming on my own, or, more likely, just letting it grow. There ARE stylists out there who will listen to you but it appears they are few and far between.

Too expensive and probably not in my country of residence

MusicalSpoons
September 24th, 2018, 08:30 AM
When they revealed how long their models' hair was, and everyone gasped, I was going "But most of them aren't even that long!"

I've been on the LHC too long xD Anything shorter than classic is just "long but not that long".

I only watched to the reveal, but from their shock before the viewer saw the lengths, I expected maybe a couple at thigh-length, with the rest knee-length+ :shake: even before LHC, my hair was always hip-tbl, so my pre-LHC self would have expected classic+ or longer to elicit that reaction :laugh: (and my pre-LHC self didn't know it was possible for ordinary people to grow very long hair)

They were all very nice heads of hair though, I seem to recall - and thank GOODNESS the hairdressers were not allowed to cut!

LittleOgre
September 24th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Does anyone kmow what show that is? I'd love to continue to watch.

Isobibbel
September 24th, 2018, 03:46 PM
the foot! the f********** foot!!!
I want to cry for that lady and her poor hair!

Isobibbel
September 24th, 2018, 03:47 PM

yup, also made me incredibly jealous!

Isobibbel
September 24th, 2018, 03:47 PM

i think it said shear genius?

daisy rei
September 24th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Wow, those ladies had some magnificent hair in the "before" shot. I hope they were heavily compensated for such torture. :rolling:

When the guy said, "I just want to be able to cut it all off!" a shiver ran down my spine. Cutting compulsion much? It bothers me how people whose jobs are to deal with hair on a daily basis seem to hate long hair so much. I guess a dentist probably never wants to see another tooth again after retirement, hehehe.

Arciela
September 24th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Omg the part with the foot was painful to watch x.x

Jo Ann
September 24th, 2018, 10:00 PM

"Shear Genius," shown on the Bravo channel. The clip is from the third episode of season two.

Good luck finding the full episode online for free...

Ann C
September 25th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Oh my heavens. And the knots they created. Nope, nope, nope. LOL

Konfitura
September 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM
So many triggers on this show - the foot, this crazy guy wanting to angrily cut all hair off, poor blond girl with this thigt-stringy hairstyle done on her... I just can't handle the drama :shake:

lucid
September 30th, 2018, 01:35 PM
No thank you

That was unbelievably disrespectful and disgusting behavior.

Does anyone know if the judges said something to her later?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 30th, 2018, 01:51 PM
That was unbelievably disrespectful and disgusting behavior.

Does anyone know if the judges said something to her later?

It's a wonder she didn't rip half the poor lady's hair out. I can't believe what she did. She should not be allowed anywhere near hair!

lapushka
September 30th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Obviously "old lace" didn't apply there. Tsssk! :(

Dark40
September 30th, 2018, 04:28 PM
This is horrible. I'm glad that the stylists weren't able to cut any of the hair too. They weren't equipped at all. They don't know a thing about long hair. All stylists want to do these days is cut hair. That is the reason why I don't go to any of them.

Ylva
September 30th, 2018, 04:41 PM
The footwork looked so fake and clumsy to me that I am inclined to think it was only there for the show and drama value. Maybe something that was agreed prior to shooting the show, but... I don't know.